PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Stranraer 18 04 21)

Jonnyboy
18-04-2021, 03:57 PM
Back in Dumfries and Galloway following their earlier Scottish Cup win against Queen of the South, Hibs arrived at Stair Park today knowing they’d have to have full focus to dispose of an in form Stranraer. With Chris Cadden missing from the squad, Jack Ross made a couple of changes giving Macey a start in goal whilst Magennis replaced Gogic in midfield.

The first ten minutes or so were pretty scrappy on yet another difficult playing surface and it was the hosts that had the first effort on goal, but Hilton’s shot was well blocked and from that block, Doig raced down the left before firing just wide of Fleming’s far post. The sides traded blows for a period and then Nisbet really should have done better with a header from Boyle’s cross. Next to try their luck was Martin Boyle but Fleming was untroubled in the centre of his goal.

The pitch was causing problems for both sides and on more than a few occasions, passes went astray or bobbled over a waiting foot. Hibs were beginning to show more in an attacking sense and Kevin Nisbet somehow hit a shot well wide when he was free in the centre of the six yard box. It was a howler of a miss and Nisbet’s reaction confirmed those were his thoughts too. In the minutes following that, both Doig, who was having a fine game and Doidge had shots saved and blocked, respectively.

Hibs were controlling the game now and both Boyle and Doidge saw efforts blocked before Joe Newell, sporting a post lockdown haircut, suffered a similar fate. Nisbet again and Doidge both missed decent chances although to be fair to Fleming in the Stranraer goal he’d also denied the hosts with some impressive saves.

A Doig cross to the far post saw Boyle peel off his marker and cushion a pass to the inrushing McGinn who was really unlucky to see his steered effort strike the keeper and loop over the bar. From the resultant corner, Hibs took the lead. Boyle flung a cross to the back post where Hanlon headed the ball back in to the danger area. Doidge won a header which saw the ball fly high before dropping to Porteous who took a touch with his thigh. The ball then broke to Doidge who spun and volleyed home from around eight yards. It has to be said that it was no more than the visitors deserved.

Lifted by that goal, Hibs pressed for another and only a brilliant save by Fleming denied Porteous whose header looked to be going in before the keeper got a strong hand to it. Ahead of the approaching half time whistle, Nisbet had another effort but the ball flew just over the bar. Just as had been the case the last time out in the area, Hibs went in at the break a Christian Doidge header to the good.

Credit to the hosts as they started the second half really well and Hibs were pinned back for a period before Doidge and Magennis tested Fleming at the other end. Paul McGinn was then booked for tripping Hilton as the Stranraer man threatened to break clear on their left side. From the resultant free kick, substitute and former Hearts man Jamie Hamill saw his effort on goal blocked. Minutes later, Thomas Orr was unlucky to see a netbound effort strike team mate Duffy and be cleared by the Hibs defence.

Those near misses seemed to waken Hibs up again and within minutes of them happening the visitors doubled their lead. A crude and yellow card challenge by Kieran Millar on Irvine gained Hibs a free kick around twenty five yards from goal which was taken by Kevin Nisbet who struck a shot on target that clipped a defender causing the ball to loop beyond the diving Fleming.

After enjoying seventy or so minutes of action, Kyle Magennis was replaced by Drey Wright whose first action was to win a corner off Ayrton Sonkur. Within a couple of minutes of that, Hibs increased their lead to 3-0. Out wide on the left, Doidge delivered a fine cross to the head of Nisbet and when Kev’s effort beat the keeper but struck the post, Boyle was first to react by lashing the ball home. In the aftermath of that goal, Lewis Stevenson replaced Josh Doig with the youngster presumably being given a rest after his sterling and often impressive efforts. Soon after, Newell was replaced by Melker Hallberg with Jack Ross secure in the knowledge the game was won and giving some from the bench some minutes of action.

To their credit, Stranraer did not just fold but instead took every opportunity to get forward. It was Hibs though that continued to create chances and Nisbet once again came close with a header. Going in to the last ten minutes, Scott Robertson was booked for a crude challenge on Boyle and from the resultant free kick, taken by Hallberg, Doidge headed the ball into the ground only to see it fly up and hit the bar. The ball was still in play and as Porteous attempted to take possession he was bundled over by Robertson and referee David Munro quickly pointed to the spot. Martin Boyle took responsibility and sent a fierce drive into the net to make it 4-0. Moments later, Hilton sent in a low shot which Macey did well to dive low and save. Credit to the keeper for keeping his concentration levels high as he’d been a spectator for large parts of the game.

In time added on, Jackson Irvine had a great chance to break his scoring duck but got too much on a header with the ball clearing the bar.

This was a good performance from Hibs and in Scottish Cup terms they next face Motherwell at Easter Road in the quarter finals but, ahead of that, a massive three points are at stake when Livingston come to Leith on league business.

The players

Macey – The big fella had little to do, apart from that late save, but it is worth mentioning that his command of the area when coming and taking crosses is impressive.

McGinn – Didn’t do much wrong in a solid performance and was unlucky with his attempt on goal that struck the diving keeper and flew over the bar.

Porteous – Ryan was fantastic today, both defensively and in attack for set plays. His reading of the game is improving as each game goes by.

Hanlon – A couple of wayward passes out from the back but his part in the first goal was important.

Boyle – A constant threat throughout the ninety minutes and I’ll be honest and say I was both surprised and delighted that he could play on after that horrific yellow card challenge by Paterson. His two goals and overall play win him my man of the match award.

Irvine – I always find it difficult to sum up his game as when the action is going on he seems peripheral but then I remember umpteen key moments from him. I’d still like to see him in the other team’s box more often.

Newell – Joe’s new haircut caught the eye as did his contribution this afternoon.

Magennis – Started slowly, got better as the game wore on and probably rightly replaced after about seventy minutes.

Doig – Josh had an impressive first half as his presence down our left caused Stranraer a lot of problems. In the second half it looked like they’d decided to alter shape to combat his influence and so his input dropped off a little. A smashing player and I’d wager destined for bigger things in the game.

Doidge – Christian found the target again and his overall performance was really good.

Nisbet – It’s no exaggeration to say that Kev could have had five or six goals today. If he can turn those chances into finishes, he’ll be in strong contention for a starting place in the National team.

Wright – I’m glad the laddie got a decent number of minutes on the pitch and during those minutes there were more positives than negatives.

Stevenson – Lewis did what Lewis always does, defended well and got up to help in attack when the chance arose.

Hallberg – A steady Eddie, his free kick in the build up to the fourth goal was right on the money.

Jack Ross – Happy with the outcome and rightly so.

Referee – David Munro had a decent game and got the bookings correct.

marinello59
18-04-2021, 04:28 PM
With a wee nod to the Clash’ tag line this should be known as The Only Match Report that Matters .:greengrin
Superb as always JB, agree with every word of that.

oldbutdim
18-04-2021, 04:33 PM
Another excellent report can be found on ‘Just Back’ on the Bounce. I always read both, even though I’ve normally watched the game live.

BILLYHIBS
18-04-2021, 04:36 PM
Brilliant as usual Jonnyboy

A good all round professional focused job by the boys

Onwards and upwards

Greenbeard
18-04-2021, 06:00 PM
Braw. Minor point, it was Robertson who got the yellow for the challenge on Boyle as correctly stated in the report (not Paterson as stated in the summary of Boyle's performance).
I had thought before then that I'd rather Magennis had stayed on for the full 90 (assuming he wasn't carrying a knock) with Boyle coming off for Wright to protect Boyle for the key games coming. When that challenge went in I was soooooo glad to see Boyle back up on his feet. As big a "phew" moment as the first goal.
Agree Nisbet should have had a good few goals today. Could, maybe even should, have had a hat trick inside 23mins.

Iggy Pope
18-04-2021, 06:09 PM
Doidge MoM for me.
Best move Jack made was getting Josh out the way of the maniac that Stranraer had just introduced, putting Lewis there would have made the ****er think twice!
Great use of the squad.
Professional job done.

Unseen work
18-04-2021, 06:40 PM
How was Magennis?

I only saw bits of the game but was disappointed he was left mid, was hoping we’d get to see him behind the striker.

CLASS OF 72 -73
18-04-2021, 08:44 PM
McGuinness disappointing for me and feel that Hanlon is taken for granted and hardly put a foot wrong today.

Hibrandenburg
18-04-2021, 09:54 PM
Good summary JB. I'd only disagree about Macey, he didn't instill confidence in me, especially with high balls.

Hibrandenburg
18-04-2021, 09:57 PM
How was Magennis?

I only saw bits of the game but was disappointed he was left mid, was hoping we’d get to see him behind the striker.

I thought he looked out of position and is definitely one footed. There's potential there but he needs to be played either central or on the right.

Forza Fred
19-04-2021, 03:11 AM
Macey was fine...he was out the game for long periods yet still made two very good saves that others may not have got down to.

BILLYHIBS
19-04-2021, 06:50 AM
Macey was fine...he was out the game for long periods yet still made two very good saves that others may not have got down to.
:agree:

FA Cup winner

Arsenal don’t sign duds

We will be lucky to keep him

jacomo
19-04-2021, 07:02 AM
How was Magennis?

To be replaced after 70 minutes suggests he is still not fully fit, even this deep into the season.

Disappointing but I think there’s a real player there. We’ve made a long term bet on him so hoping for better times ahead.

marinello59
19-04-2021, 07:05 AM

I thought the same. I’d be more than happy to see him here next season.

Peevemor
19-04-2021, 07:06 AM
To be replaced after 70 minutes suggests he is still not fully fit, even this deep into the season.

Disappointing but I think there’s a real player there. We’ve made a long term bet on him so hoping for better times ahead.

I think the problem is that, as with Scott Allan, there's no opportunity (or a lot less anyway) for players coming back from injury to get "reserve games"/closed doors matches to get fit.

Johnny_Leith
19-04-2021, 11:59 AM
How was Magennis?

Poor imo. He didn't offer much going forward and provided Stranraer their best chance of the game with a poor clearance.

A lot to prove in a Hibs jersey still, but as JR mentioned he believes this season is basically a write-off and next season he'll be firing on all cylinders.