PDA

View Full Version : Matt Macey

Pages : [1] 2

Borderhibbie76
18-04-2021, 02:24 PM
Like what I've seen of him so far...pulled off decent saves with not a lot to do in last 2 Cup ties...I think we may have a ready made replacement for Rocky tbh...command's his box a bit better than Rocky does too

Pretty Boy
18-04-2021, 02:26 PM
Played well today, 2 good saves considering he had nothing of note to do until then.

They tried to make a big deal of the cross he dropped but it was an awkward one and he had 2 men pressuring him. A bit of a scary moment but no big deal, it happens.

bingo70
18-04-2021, 02:35 PM
I’m not convinced by him at all. Not sure why but I’m just not.

He’s not done anything of note wrong I just think he doesn’t look the most mobile and there’s been one or two free lve thought his positioning at free kicks has been suspect.

Fine for a back up keeper but he’d be a downgrade on Marciano as first choice IMO.

Borderhibbie76
18-04-2021, 02:45 PM

He’s not done anything of note wrong I just think he doesn’t look the most mobile and there’s been one or two free lve thought his positioning at free kicks has been suspect.

Fine for a back up keeper but he’d be a downgrade on Marciano as first choice IMO.

Strange opinion and hyper critical imo but guess we shall see...in the 4 games he's played he's done very little wrong

worcesterhibby
18-04-2021, 02:46 PM
Much too early to really make a judgement, but can’t fault him for his performances so far.

bingo70
18-04-2021, 02:51 PM
Strange opinion and hyper critical imo but guess we shall see...in the 4 games he's played he's done very little wrong

Think he got his positioning wrong for the goal against Celtic at parkhead.

There was a goal in a league game shortly after I thought he could have done better with and same applies to the goal he lost at Queen of the south.

By no means obvious mistakes and you’re right, I’m maybe being over critical.

I just think in Marciano we have a really top notch match winner as a keeper, I don’t think Macey is in the same league as him.

Eyrie
18-04-2021, 03:00 PM
I think it would be very difficult to get a keeper as good as Marciano on our budget.

So far Macey has looked decent, and the rumour is that he's been offered a deal for next season which would mean he's showing enough in training.

CapitalGreen
18-04-2021, 03:12 PM
Wish he was playing in our LC Semi v Saints, he’d have been much more commanding in dealing with their crosses into our box I reckon.

MWHIBBIES
18-04-2021, 03:17 PM

There was a goal in a league game shortly after I thought he could have done better with and same applies to the goal he lost at Queen of the south.

I just think in Marciano we have a really top notch match winner as a keeper, I don’t think Macey is in the same league as him.

No there wasn't. Hes only lost 1 league goal, the Celtic one. You really blame the goalie for losing a goal 1 on 1?

You aren't being over critical, you are being ridiculous IMO. He's been good.

18-04-2021, 03:18 PM
From what little we've seen of Macey I think he's worth offering at least a 12 month deal.

Obviously it wouldn't necessarily mean he'd be the number 1 as we'll be looking for a replacement for Rocky too. I'd be happy to see Bogdan come back.

MWHIBBIES
18-04-2021, 03:18 PM
Wish he was playing in our LC Semi v Saints, he’d have been much more commanding in dealing with their crosses into our box I reckon.

Than Hanlon or Porteous? because they were the ones who lost headers, not Marciano.

Diclonius
18-04-2021, 03:20 PM
He did fine against Tier 2 and 4 clubs. Can't really conclude much on that.

bingo70
18-04-2021, 03:25 PM
No there wasn't. Hes only lost 1 league goal, the Celtic one. You really blame the goalie for losing a goal 1 on 1?

You aren't being over critical, you are being ridiculous IMO. He's been good.

Ok, there was another mistake then. Was definitely something that happened that gave me the ****s about him.

Call it ridiculous if you want, I don’t really care. In a years time there’s no danger we’ll be talking about him in the same light we do about Marciano.

MWHIBBIES
18-04-2021, 03:28 PM
Ok, there was another mistake then. Was definitely something that happened that gave me the ****s about him.

Call it ridiculous if you want, I don’t really care. In a years time there’s no danger we’ll be talking about him in the same light we do about Marciano.

What mistakes? He's lost 2 goals and you've mentioned both.

I'm not saying we will. You can think we need another keeper without making stuff up about Macey, though. I'd rather keep Rocky as well but Macey hasn't done anything wrong really, Ross might go with him.

yerauldda
18-04-2021, 03:28 PM

Can’t really agree, couple of excellent stops in both games. Doesn’t really make much of a difference if it came from the foot of a tier 4 or tier 1 player.

More than happy for him to be next years number 1 based on what I’ve seen.

bingo70
18-04-2021, 03:33 PM
What mistakes? He's lost 2 goals and you've mentioned both.

I'm not saying we will. You can think we need another keeper without making stuff up about Macey, though. I'd rather keep Rocky as well but Macey hasn't done anything wrong really, Ross might go with him.

Do mistakes only happen if they come to goals?

Tone of your posts are annoying me though. Don’t understand why there’s need to be a prick about it. You just disagree with me, that’s fine.

For me, I think there’s been glimpses of things I’ve been a bit concerned about with him. Not been obvious errors, I’m just not convinced by him.

Onceinawhile
18-04-2021, 03:34 PM

And celtic.

bingo70
18-04-2021, 03:36 PM
And celtic.

He had a couple of very good saves against Celtic but I think his positioning for their goal was poor in that game.

Heisenberg
18-04-2021, 03:37 PM

Tone of your posts are annoying me though. Don’t understand why there’s need to be a prick about it. You just disagree with me, that’s fine.

For me, I think there’s been glimpses of things I’ve been a bit concerned about with him. Not been obvious errors, I’m just not convinced by him.

His kicking has been off a few times and I’d definitely blame him for the goal at Parkhead. Few very good saves in the games he’s played though, hopefully we get 3rd wrapped up early (it’s Hibs, we won’t) and he gets the chance to play a bit more.

BILLYHIBS
18-04-2021, 03:43 PM
Agree with Bingo re the lost goals but more than happy for him Macey to be handed the gloves for next season

Looks capable enough commanding and good with the ball at his feet

Would benefit from a run in the team

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-04-2021, 03:58 PM
Would like to think that we are talking to him about next season already. A cup winners medal in his pocket and the chance to play European Football would help.

blackpoolhibs
18-04-2021, 04:01 PM
He had a couple of very good saves against Celtic but I think his positioning for their goal was poor in that game.

I think you might just be a bit nervous about change, Rocky has been the best we've had in a long time, and you obviously remember the traffic cones we had before. :greengrin

bingo70
18-04-2021, 04:03 PM
I think you might just be a bit nervous about change, Rocky has been the best we've had in a long time, and you obviously remember the traffic cones we had before. :greengrin

****ing right.

Do you not? 😂

blackpoolhibs
18-04-2021, 04:04 PM
****ing right.

Do you not? 😂
:agree:

truehibernian
18-04-2021, 04:04 PM
I like Macey, solid and makes important saves, good talker and his distribution is way better than Marciano. Definitely worth a deal and making him No. 1 for me.

bingo70
18-04-2021, 04:07 PM

FWIW I’d like is to sign the ex hearts ******* and current Rangers ******* Jon McLaughlin.

I know he’ll be on more than we can afford just now but I have a hunch he’ll want to be playing first team football. Macey as back up to him would be fine with me.

Hibee Mac
18-04-2021, 04:08 PM
Too early to make judgement on him yet for me.

I agree that there have been a few moments which have left a little to be desired, positioning for Celtic go and I also think he probably should have saved the QoS goal. That being said you could argue that Marciano would have done similar had he been out for a long time and on getting minimal runs in the team.

Put it this way I'd be happy enough at this stage if we chose to go with Macey as #1 next season and give him a run in the side, although I think we'll struggle to fully replace Marciano

Nicho87
18-04-2021, 04:15 PM
We will be signing another keeper regardless but I’ve not seen anything major that has red flags to be fair to him.

One hand save on his left was a beaut.

blackpoolhibs
18-04-2021, 04:17 PM
FWIW I’d like is to sign the ex hearts ******* and current Rangers ******* Jon McLaughlin.

I know he’ll be on more than we can afford just now but I have a hunch he’ll want to be playing first team football. Macey as back up to him would be fine with me.

Good shout, he did look decent for them, and was it Sunderland too apparently?

truehibernian
18-04-2021, 04:17 PM
We will be signing another keeper regardless but I’ve not seen anything major that has red flags to be fair to him.

One hand save on his left was a beaut.

He's made a few top saves when he's played Nicho, that save was good because like others he's made he has the intuition to palm them away from danger. I seriously think there's a top keeper in Macey if he gets the chance to be a No. 1 :aok:

Iggy Pope
18-04-2021, 04:21 PM

Hibs fan too isn’t he?

Shrekko
18-04-2021, 04:24 PM

Do you think Rocky doesn’t have quite a few flaws in his game that have shown themselves up fairly regularly?

Marciano has been good for us but I do find it strange you’re saying Macey will never be spoken about in the same breath on the basis of very little obvious so far.

It could turn out that he isn’t as good but surely only time would tell us that?

bingo70
18-04-2021, 04:27 PM
Hibs fan too isn’t he?

His family are Hibs fans.

I remember him saying that when he played for Hearts.

There’s an interview with Jack Ross when he was at Sunderland saying how good McLaughlin was for him. I can’t be bothered finding it but it exists.

I would be surprised if we don’t make a move for him but that’s based on absolutely nothing other than a semi educated guess.

bingo70
18-04-2021, 04:32 PM
Do you think Rocky doesn’t have quite a few flaws in his game that have shown themselves up fairly regularly?

Marciano has been good for us but I do find it strange you’re saying Macey will never be spoken about in the same breath on the basis of very little obvious so far.

It could turn out that he isn’t as good but surely only time would tell us that?

Not really no.

He’s obviously not perfect but I don’t think any of his flaws are anything that really cause us problems.

His mistakes are minimal, the other things he gets criticised for are his distribution (no big deal for me) and that he doesn’t come for crosses (nonsense imo)

It’s just an opinion though, I might be right, I might be wrong, I’m just saying that there’s something about Macey and his performances to date that makes me think he won’t be a future number one for us. I don’t think I’ve said anything too derogatory about him and he might prove me wrong, I just don’t think he will.

truehibernian
18-04-2021, 04:41 PM
Not really no.

He’s obviously not perfect but I don’t think any of his flaws are anything that really cause us problems.

His mistakes are minimal, the other things he gets criticised for are his distribution (no big deal for me) and that he doesn’t come for crosses (nonsense imo)

It’s just an opinion though, I might be right, I might be wrong, I’m just saying that there’s something about Macey and his performances to date that makes me think he won’t be a future number one for us. I don’t think I’ve said anything too derogatory about him and he might prove me wrong, I just don’t think he will.

Bingo, don't get me wrong, I like Rocky and he is and has been a great keeper for us. But his distribution is poor and it should worry his next side, as if you watch some of the goals we concede, often they have come from Rocky either being sloppy in his distribution under no pressure, or putting our back four under unnecessary pressure. Top shot stopper, and like you I can't understand the 'doesn't come for crosses' criticism (as he does well on them), but he ranks up there as one of the poorest from feet (particularly under no pressure) I've seen.

bingo70
18-04-2021, 04:45 PM
Bingo, don't get me wrong, I like Rocky and he is and has been a great keeper for us. But his distribution is poor and it should worry his next side, as if you watch some of the goals we concede, often they have come from Rocky either being sloppy in his distribution under no pressure, or putting our back four under unnecessary pressure. Top shot stopper, and like you I can't understand the 'doesn't come for crosses' criticism (as he does well on them), but he ranks up there as one of the poorest from feet (particularly under no pressure) I've seen.

In terms of distribution i set my standards at Jim Leighton and anything above that I’m happy.

Unfortunately for Matt Macey I also set my shot stopping standards at his level too 😉 😂

Shrekko
18-04-2021, 04:49 PM

It’s a really interesting debate and I think it’s how’s pretty much everyone see things different when it comes to goalies.

I like Rocky too as he’s a match winner but I’m amazed at anyone who thinks he does as well on crosses as he should. He’s a big hulk of a guy but really doesn’t come for much at all outside his 6 yard box and sometimes it’s a flap.

I don’t expect perfection though - he’s been a cracking servant who I wish good luck.

truehibernian
18-04-2021, 04:49 PM
In terms of distribution i set my standards at Jim Leighton and anything above that I’m happy.

Unfortunately for Matt Macey I also set my shot stopping standards at his level too 😉 😂

:aok: the good thing for both Rocky and Macey are neither have Jim's bandy legs :greengrin

Jim was a superb goalkeeper :agree:

hibsbollah
18-04-2021, 04:58 PM

If you mean the freekick im not sure thats fair. If hes beat on his own side fair enough but i dont think theres much wrong with his movement or positioning there. Hes also made a great low block save and one in particular, one handed top hand save from distance just touching it over the bar was as good as a goal. Even more so as it was pouring with rain that day and obviously super slippy. He had an excellent game that day.

Some great saves, decent distribution, no obvious mistakes, Macey is a definite Yes so far from me.

Pretty Boy
18-04-2021, 05:00 PM
I think Rockys distribution will be an issue for him if he moves up a level after leaving us.

Watching football now and about 60% of what keepers do is with their feet. Simply banging a 50/50 ball to half way isn't good enough. I can't stand him but Allan McGreggor was pinging 60 yard passes to feet throughout their game today. In the EPL and top half of the Championship down south teams quite happily knock triangle passes about their own 18 yard box using the keeper. I'm not sure Rocky is capable of that. If he's nervy that spreads throughout the team.

I played football as a keeper at a decent level. I'm honest enough to say I would be nowhere near that level now because I'm not a good enough footballer. I was a good shot stopper, brave and commanding but I'd have been totally found out in the modern game with the ball at my feet. I'm Sunday league level there.

'I want my keeper to be keepers' is yesterday news. To kick on you need the whole package. Watch the Hibs keepers warming up, the 1st 10-15 minutes is all passing and kicking.

blackpoolhibs
18-04-2021, 05:05 PM
Macey does look better than Rocky at crosses in my opinion, in fact i dont feel as if we are relying on the defenders as much when he's in goal.

Pretty Boy
18-04-2021, 05:10 PM
Macey does look better than Rocky at crosses in my opinion, in fact i dont feel as if we are relying on the defenders as much when he's in goal.

I thought it was an area Bogdan bettered him as well. He was a less assured shot stopper but I enjoyed watching him come out 10-12 yards and pluck a cross out the air.

Tbh I don't mind a keeper not coming for crosses. All the '6 yard box and it's the keepers' stuff is nonsense. Shay Given rarely came for crosses and he was a top keeper, Andy Goram was the same. I do enjoy when it does happen though, if they are confident when doing so it takes so much pressure off.

truehibernian
18-04-2021, 05:13 PM
I think Rockys distribution will be an issue for him if he moves up a level after leaving us.

Watching football now and about 60% of what keepers do is with their feet. Simply banging a 50/50 ball to half way isn't good enough. I can't stand him but Allan McGreggor was pinging 60 yard passes to feet throughout their game today. In the EPL and top half of the Championship down south teams quite happily knock triangle passes about their own 18 yard box using the keeper. I'm not sure Rocky is capable of that. If he's nervy that spreads throughout the team.

I played football as a keeper at a decent level. I'm honest enough to say I would be nowhere near that level now because I'm not a good enough footballer. I was a good shot stopper, brave and commanding but I'd have been totally found out in the modern game with the ball at my feet. I'm Sunday league level there.

'I want my keeper to be keepers' is yesterday news. To kick on you need the whole package. Watch the Hibs keepers warming up, the 1st 10-15 minutes is all passing and kicking.

Good post PB, and without being a goalkeeper is an art and a skill and a crucial position on the pitch. What annoys me about any top level keeper is far far too many float balls out of play, under no pressure, and don't take time to consider their distribution. Watch Rocky when he gets a chance to play a ball under no pressure..........to simply boot a ball out of play is very poor game management and he does it way too often. He counters this by being incredibly good at shot stopping and making himself big when strikers are in the penalty box..........that I have to say is something he is extremely good at.

Brightside
18-04-2021, 05:22 PM

Id sign him if we can. I think he’s all class and at least as good as Rocky. Decent with feet, commanding and a good shot stopper. Nothing I’ve seen would put me off him.

hibbysam
18-04-2021, 05:23 PM
I thought it was an area Bogdan bettered him as well. He was a less assured shot stopper but I enjoyed watching him come out 10-12 yards and pluck a cross out the air.

Tbh I don't mind a keeper not coming for crosses. All the '6 yard box and it's the keepers' stuff is nonsense. Shay Given rarely came for crosses and he was a top keeper, Andy Goram was the same. I do enjoy when it does happen though, if they are confident when doing so it takes so much pressure off.

You’ll rarely see any keeper in the world ‘command his box’ - it’s an outdated and mental shout. The way the balls move, the pace they come in at, the numbers in the box, keepers would rather trust their defence to win headers, and trust their own shot stopping ability if the attacker wins it, rather than come into a crowded area and potentially make an arse of it.

JimBHibees
18-04-2021, 05:24 PM

Decent shout I think.

Lancs Harp
18-04-2021, 05:25 PM
Our recent keepers in Bogdan, Rocky and Macey I cant say its been a position I have particularly worried about for quite some time.

Malthibby
18-04-2021, 05:25 PM
I hope we are able to keep him, he certainly hasn't done anything to worry me & he looks confident & imposing.
Gg

Brightside
18-04-2021, 05:26 PM
You’ll rarely see any keeper in the world ‘command his box’ - it’s an outdated and mental shout. The way the balls move, the pace they come in at, the numbers in the box, keepers would rather trust their defence to win headers, and trust their own shot stopping ability if the attacker wins it, rather than come into a crowded area and potentially make an arse of it.

That’s not how goalies are coached. Certainly not on the SFA pathway.

hibbysam
18-04-2021, 05:51 PM
That’s not how goalies are coached. Certainly not on the SFA pathway.

Ok, can you tell me some goalkeepers that regularly charge outside their 6 yard box into a crowded penalty area to claim crosses/corners? It’s certainly not part of routine coaching either, especially in game like situations.

bingo70
18-04-2021, 06:01 PM
There’s so many variables to coming out for crosses I just don’t think it’s something your average fan can know that much about.

How much movement is there on the ball?

Who is in front of the keeper?

What are the weather conditions like?

What do the defenders prefer? A keeper to come or for them to be left to it?

Who are the forwards in the box?

What happens if the keeper comes but drops it?

What is the keepers feet and positioning like at the exact moment of the cross coming in?

How deep Is the cross coming in from?

What’s the trajectory of the cross like?

Keeper has to answer all those questions in a split second, if they decide there’s less risk just to let they’re defenders head it then for the most part I think that makes complete sense.

hibsbollah
18-04-2021, 06:01 PM

:agree: Hence why they train with outfield players more and more with each passing year.

hibbysam
18-04-2021, 06:04 PM
There’s so many variables to coming out for crosses I just don’t think it’s something your average fan can know that much about.

How much movement is there on the ball?

Who is in front of the keeper?

What are the weather conditions like?

What do the defenders prefer? A keeper to come or for them to be left to it?

Who are the forwards in the box?

What happens if the keeper comes but drops it?

What is the keepers feet and positioning like at the exact moment of the cross coming in?

How deep Is the cross coming in from?

What’s the trajectory of the cross like?

Keeper has to answer all those questions in a split second, if they decide there’s less risk just to let they’re defenders head it then for the most part I think that makes complete sense.

100%.

hibsbollah
18-04-2021, 06:04 PM
Ok, can you tell me some goalkeepers that regularly charge outside their 6 yard box into a crowded penalty area to claim crosses/corners? It’s certainly not part of routine coaching either, especially in game like situations.

All of the top ones do it from time to time, its very much in a keepers toolbox, and yes, it is a major part of the keepers' learning pathway. If youre asking 'do they do it as much as they used to', the answer is probably no, but also there are a lot less crosses pinged into the box in the first place.

plhibs
18-04-2021, 06:07 PM
Played well today, 2 good saves considering he had nothing of note to do until then.

They tried to make a big deal of the cross he dropped but it was an awkward one and he had 2 men pressuring him. A bit of a scary moment but no big deal, it happens.

Agreed, i think he was trying to make sure he kept his hands from crossing over the line with the ball.

hibbysam
18-04-2021, 06:09 PM
All of the top ones do it from time to time, its very much in a keepers toolbox, and yes, it is a major part of the keepers' learning pathway. If youre asking 'do they do it as much as they used to', the answer is probably no, but also there are a lot less crosses pinged into the box in the first place.

Being a keeper, and watching keepers during games, I’d genuinely find it difficult to give you an example of a keeper claiming a whipped cross outwith his 6 yard box due to all the factors the poster above made. High floated crosses, easy, but Rocky does that too. That’s basics.

As for the ‘learning pathway’ - you can learn all you want at taking crosses under no pressure to improve handling etc, but I have never seen one session that is set up in game like scenarios with a crowded box, expecting a keeper to charge through bodies to take a cross.

Pretty Boy
18-04-2021, 06:11 PM

One of the gripes a lot of people have with corners is 'it didn't even beat the 1st man'. Anyone can float a high ball into the box but that's one a keeper will love. Coming through a group of bodies to pluck a ball that is 8 foot in the air out of it is a simple joy for a keeper. The ones that sonetimes hit the 1st man are whipped, barely above head height and pacy. There's no real advantage for the keeper there and a lot of the time they are best left well alone.

There's a hell of a lot of nuances that some fans, and a lot of outfield players, want to oversimplify when it comes to crosses and goalkeepers.

bingo70
18-04-2021, 06:17 PM
One of the gripes a lot of people have with corners is 'it didn't even beat the 1st man'. Anyone can float a high ball into the box but that's one a keeper will love. Coming through a group of bodies to pluck a ball that is 8 foot in the air out of it is a simple joy for a keeper. The ones that sonetimes hit the 1st man are whipped, barely above head height and pacy. There's no real advantage for the keeper there and a lot of the time they are best left well alone.

There's a hell of a lot of nuances that some fans, and a lot of outfield players, want to oversimplify when it comes to crosses and goalkeepers.

Yes, absolutely love that post.

My pet hate is peoples pet hate about corners not beating the first man.

Absolutely anybody could sand wedge a corner into the box, nobody would ever score from them though.

hibsbollah
18-04-2021, 06:28 PM
Being a keeper, and watching keepers during games, I’d genuinely find it difficult to give you an example of a keeper claiming a whipped cross outwith his 6 yard box due to all the factors the poster above made. High floated crosses, easy, but Rocky does that too. That’s basics.

As for the ‘learning pathway’ - you can learn all you want at taking crosses under no pressure to improve handling etc, but I have never seen one session that is set up in game like scenarios with a crowded box, expecting a keeper to charge through bodies to take a cross.

There are plenty of sessions like that, including the ones the SFA run. Not sure what you mean by 'charging through bodies', it would be difficult to find all the players you need to replicate a crowded box (certainly to drag them away into a goalie session would raise a few eyebrows!), but yes, they use sessions with mannequins to replicate this scenario in drills.

back in the day one of my favourite keepers for doing this in actual games was David James. Fantastic to watch him coming up plucking crosses out of the air repeatedly.

Big_Franck
18-04-2021, 06:44 PM

I agree. Decent back up but he isn't as good as Rocky and if we don't get a replacement in the summer we'll be weaker between the sticks next season.

hibbysam
18-04-2021, 06:51 PM
There are plenty of sessions like that, including the ones the SFA run. Not sure what you mean by 'charging through bodies', it would be difficult to find all the players you need to replicate a crowded box (certainly to drag them away into a goalie session would raise a few eyebrows!), but yes, they use sessions with mannequins to replicate this scenario in drills.

back in the day one of my favourite keepers for doing this in actual games was David James. Fantastic to watch him coming up plucking crosses out of the air repeatedly.

I mean charging through bodies in relation to a game like scenario. You can practice catching etc in training as much as you like, the delivery is nothing like a proper set piece taker, the box is less crowded, you essentially know where it’s going so know your coming regardless. In a game you don’t have any of those luxuries, so being coached it and actually doing it in games are totally different. Unless a cross is on top of the keeper, or floated in high, then keepers 9 times out of 10 will leave it to their defenders.

Ps mannequins don’t move, so again, you have a head start there as you know where you can run and know no one will be moving into your way.

Unseen work
18-04-2021, 06:53 PM
I like what I’ve saw of him so far.

Big, commanding, good shot stopper and good with the ball at his feet. Obviously had potential before arsenal signed him, he’s still going for a keeper so maybe he just needs a place to fufill that.

I’ve noticed him fumbles a couple of crosses over the games he’s played but I’m willing to put that down to being rusty as he’s not played much in the last year - think of Bogdan when he first arrived.

Pretty Boy
18-04-2021, 07:01 PM
Totally unrelated to anything on this thread but it was great to see Dean Henderson rocking a cap in the 2nd half of Man Utds game today. Chris Kirkland was the last keeper I remember who regularly wore a cap.

If Hibs sign a goalkeeper that brings that back into fashion I'd be happy.

bingo70
18-04-2021, 07:06 PM
Totally unrelated to anything on this thread but it was great to see Dean Henderson rocking a cap in the 2nd half of Man Utds game today. Chris Kirkland was the last keeper I remember who regularly wore a cap.

On a similar but unrelated point my boy has recently taken up goalkeeping and I’ve noticed his diving is much better when he wears under armour legging things so I’ve got him wearing them all the time for football even when it’s roasting.

It’s amazing how telling an 8 year old that they’re like a modern day Billy Thompson means absolutely nothing to them.

hibsbollah
18-04-2021, 07:07 PM
I mean charging through bodies in relation to a game like scenario. You can practice catching etc in training as much as you like, the delivery is nothing like a proper set piece taker, the box is less crowded, you essentially know where it’s going so know your coming regardless. In a game you don’t have any of those luxuries, so being coached it and actually doing it in games are totally different. Unless a cross is on top of the keeper, or floated in high, then keepers 9 times out of 10 will leave it to their defenders.

Ps mannequins don’t move, so again, you have a head start there as you know where you can run and know no one will be moving into your way.

I don’t necessarily disagree with most of that, I’d add that certain goalies are confident enough to come out for more, and others are far more risk averse. Depends on the mindset.

cam75
18-04-2021, 07:08 PM
I like Macey,,listened to sportsound today and they were going on about foster and why he never signed for Celtic this season and his weekly wage was £90k for a 3rd choice keeper at Southampton. Shows what market we are in for a top spl keeper 🙈

CraigHibee
18-04-2021, 07:08 PM
Seems a decent enough keeper from what I've seen so far

hibbysam
18-04-2021, 07:23 PM

Was superb to see! I hate caps as I find they get in the road, and on public parks don’t actually shield you from a low sun, but was great to see, plus the fact it was bright red.

Since452
18-04-2021, 07:27 PM
Think he's been decent so far. Absolutely nothing to do all game then produced a brilliant save. Sign of a good keeper.

Borderhibbie76
18-04-2021, 07:45 PM
Not really no.

Your deffo viewing Rocky thru green tinted specs...he doesn't command his six yard box at all and his kicking can be dreadful. He a top notch shot stopper but he has his flaws

Lancs Harp
18-04-2021, 07:53 PM
Your deffo viewing Rocky thru green tinted specs...he doesn't command his six yard box at all and his kicking can be dreadful. He a top notch shot stopper but he has his flaws

To be fair mate with our budget and at our level every keeper will have a certain flaw.

Brooster
18-04-2021, 07:53 PM
Macey looks the real deal, much better distribution than Rocky and can get down to his corners quicker.

18-04-2021, 08:05 PM
We need to find 2 keepers next year and I'd be very surprised if we managed to find 2 that are better than Macey so it makes complete sense that we offer him another contract.

Stevie Reid
18-04-2021, 09:31 PM
Like what I’ve seen from him so far and on that basis wouldn’t be concerned about him being our number one going forward.

I get the anxiety of others going into a future after Rocky - I remember only too well the many years of inept goalkeepers who provided heart in mouth moments when even the most innocuous ball was played behind the back four. Not to mention the many derby disasters we had to endure.

However, I certainly haven’t got any of those vibes from Macey so far. The defences that have played in the games he’s started looked comfortable with him behind them, and he’s made some really good saves at times. Looks good with the ball at his feet, distribution seems smart as well.

Early days, but I like what I see.

Wheat Hound
18-04-2021, 09:51 PM
A big plus point for Rocky in comparison to several of his predecessors is his lack of mistakes in derbies.

malagahibby
18-04-2021, 10:02 PM
Great to see a Hibs goalie come of his line and Collext a cross or a free kick .
Marciano is horrendous with cross balls but a good shot stopper
I think macey is a better all round keeper .

WeeRussell
19-04-2021, 12:47 AM
Haven’t seen enough of him to form an opinion yet, although he’s a giant, I’ve learned that much. Would be surprised, and pleasantly so, if he’s as good as Marciano for us!

On another note - Stranraer keeper was excellent today!

Jones28
19-04-2021, 06:29 AM
Haven’t seen enough of him to form an opinion yet, although he’s a giant, I’ve learned that much. Would be surprised, and pleasantly so, if he’s as good as Marciano for us!

He was, looked too good for that level.

roo62
19-04-2021, 06:32 AM

Have you noticed more this season that even shots straight at him he parries and beats straight back out into dangerous area. What happened to just plain catching it and holding into the stomach

Pretty Boy
19-04-2021, 06:35 AM
He was, looked too good for that level.

I think it's more a case of found his level. He's played at a higher level before, including the Premiership, and gradually dropped down every few seasons to where he is now.

One Day
19-04-2021, 07:04 AM
Gets down well for such a tall lad

oneone73
19-04-2021, 08:16 AM

I can't understand why Stranraer lie so lowly.

Bangkok Hibby
19-04-2021, 08:22 AM
Macey keeps the gloves for cup games...good, I like him.

Unseen work
19-04-2021, 09:41 AM
Do we think Ross would be tempted to start him against Livingston?

They launch the ball into the box so having someone in goal like Macey to come and collect the crosses would take a lot of pressure off our goal.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2021, 09:44 AM

They launch the ball into the box so having someone in goal like Macey to come and collect the crosses would take a lot of pressure off our goal.

I'd rather we set up to defend properly. A goalie can only do so much if the marking is awful. We battered Livi 4-1 with Rocky in net, not worried about him.

Andy74
19-04-2021, 09:56 AM

Can’t say I’m any more comfortable with Macey on crosses but largely because I don’t think Rocky really has a problem with them.

worcesterhibby
19-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Would be more than Happy if we extend Macey's stay with us till next season, Give Dabrowski a new contract and sign one other goalie who is first team standard. I have no idea what Bogdans contractual situation is, but it would be fantatsic if we could get him back as no 1

Northernhibee
19-04-2021, 10:01 AM
Can’t say I’m any more comfortable with Macey on crosses but largely because I don’t think Rocky really has a problem with them.

Yeah, I don’t know where all this criticism of him comes from but Rocky is fine at them.

brog
19-04-2021, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=bingo70;6530382]Not really no.

I'm genuinely surprised at your comments here because his distribution has cost us on several occasions. There was the obvious glaring error against The Rangers that put us on the back foot in the 1st few minutes but time after time we surrender possession from his kick outs. Given that football nowadays is all about retaining possession then that is a problem. St J's late equaliser last season illustrated the 2 weaknesses you mention above. We have a goal kick into the last minute of added on time. Rocky hits it to an area where there isn't a Hibs player in sight, St J get comfortable possession, win a corner & score ( from about 3 yards out). Strangely, apart from his horrendous mistake on the pass back og for Israel, I feel he looks more comfortable with the ball at his feet internationally. Maybe it's the lack of a high press, better pitches or better players but in those games his distribution seems fine.

Onion
19-04-2021, 10:36 AM
Macey looks like a vg replacement for Rocky.

Highwayman
19-04-2021, 11:06 AM
There doesn’t seem to be an overall majority on this thread either for or against Matt Macey.
I haven’t seen anything in his performances so far that unduly worry me.I however tend to agree with the posts which read they would like to see him more against SPFL teams before they make a further judgement.
IMO we have to get the goalkeeping situation sorted out sooner rather than later.
If it’s accepted that Marciano is away at the end of the season and we have made an offer to Macey,what is the hold up.
Its looks like we’ll be in Europe next season so we need to get a keeper fixed up before the start of the campaign.
Need I remind what happened when we played an untried keeper against Bronby.

19-04-2021, 11:15 AM
There doesn’t seem to be an overall majority on this thread either for or against Matt Macey.
I haven’t seen anything in his performances so far that unduly worry me.I however tend to agree with the posts which read they would like to see him more against SPFL teams before they make a further judgement.
IMO we have to get the goalkeeping situation sorted out sooner rather than later.
If it’s accepted that Marciano is away at the end of the season and we have made an offer to Macey,what is the hold up.
Its looks like we’ll be in Europe next season so we need to get a keeper fixed up before the start of the campaign.
Need I remind what happened when we played an untried keeper against Bronby.

If I could be bothered I'd start an offer Macey a contract (given we need to find 2 keepers) poll. Yes, no, haven't seen enough of him to decide.

gbhibby
19-04-2021, 11:15 AM
I would offer him a contract now get that position sorted. I do think Macey could be a great signing you don't get signed by clubs like Arsenal unless you have something about you. Bogdan had a car crash of a start with us but after a few games some posters rated him better than Rocky. No brainer in my opinion.

Callum_62
19-04-2021, 11:40 AM
I would offer him a contract now get that position sorted. I do think Macey could be a great signing you don't get signed by clubs like Arsenal unless you have something about you. Bogdan had a car crash of a start with us but after a few games some posters rated him better than Rocky. No brainer in my opinion.Daniel Boateng disagrees

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

ian cruise
19-04-2021, 11:55 AM

I think years of supporting Hibs has just given you goalkeeper PTSD, we'll be fine with Macey.

scoopyboy
19-04-2021, 12:35 PM
I would offer him a contract now get that position sorted. I do think Macey could be a great signing you don't get signed by clubs like Arsenal unless you have something about you. Bogdan had a car crash of a start with us but after a few games some posters rated him better than Rocky. No brainer in my opinion.

He's already been offered one but was turned down.

Hopefully we make him a better one and he signs, he wants to stay.

hibee-boys
19-04-2021, 12:41 PM
From what I’ve seen I’d be happy for Mackey to start next season as No.1.

hhibs
19-04-2021, 01:40 PM
Would be more than Happy if we extend Macey's stay with us till next season, Give Dabrowski a new contract and sign one other goalie who is first team standard. I have no idea what Bogdans contractual situation is, but it would be fantatsic if we could get him back as no 1

My thoughts on Bogdan exactly,he knows the club ,knows many of the players ,an excellent goalkeeper IMO

European experience too

BS44
19-04-2021, 05:57 PM

That's not the same Andy Goram that I remember when he played with Hibs, later on his career when his knees were finished maybe.

Alan Rough was a outstanding goalkeeper for Hibs, I didn't think when he was at his best we would be able to replace him. I was completely wrong, we signed Goram and he was even better.

Goram not only would come out and catch crosses, he was brilliant at what seems to be a forgotten art for keepers these days, punching the ball. If there was lot of players in the box making it difficult to catch the ball he would plough through anyone in his way and punch it away.

Think a lot of Hibs fans base their idea that Goram wasn't good with crosses on one of his first games for us, the 2 2 draw at St Mirren when he was blamed for both goals. I was at the game but missed I think all the goals, travelled on the Independent East Coast bus that day, those guys had no idea how to get their bus to to a match on time. Christ, they could drink though!

Sure it was the same season that he was so good at Tynecastle against them that they lot were chanting his name, best display I've saw from a goalkeeper.

MrRobot
19-04-2021, 07:18 PM
Really hope we get to see more of Macey, looks a really good keeper.

Billy Whizz
19-04-2021, 07:19 PM
Haven’t seen enough of him to make a decision
Loves that he comes and claims crosses, but not as good a shot stopper as Rocky
It’s really awful having to assess players on TV

hibbysam
19-04-2021, 08:42 PM
Meslier doing a great job in showing why it’s not beneficial to try and charge out nearly every cross that’s outside your 6 yard box. Lucky not to give away simple goals instead of making teams work for them.

MrRobot
19-04-2021, 09:39 PM
Haven’t seen enough of him to make a decision
Loves that he comes and claims crosses, but not as good a shot stopper as Rocky
It’s really awful having to assess players on TV

I’m not sure we’ve seen enough yet to judge whether or not he is a better shot stopper than Rocky tbh.

hibbie02
20-04-2021, 02:51 PM
Like what I've seen of him so far...pulled off decent saves with not a lot to do in last 2 Cup ties...I think we may have a ready made replacement for Rocky tbh...command's his box a bit better than Rocky does too

Was that you standing behind the goal on Sunday with your scarf tied to the fence?

CockneyRebel
20-04-2021, 03:20 PM

Thought he was a left back?

basehibby
20-04-2021, 08:38 PM

Seconded - he has done nothing wrong and has in fact put in good performances whenever called upon. He looks a good shot stopper, has commanded his area well and has shown great distribution - one area where in fact he's looked stronger than Rocky.

As long as he's happy on Hibs money I'd say it's a no brainer.

20-04-2021, 08:48 PM
Macey keeps the gloves for cup games...good, I like him.

Apparently he's starting against against Motherwell and any subsequent cup games. Sounds like there's a good chance we'll have him for next season. Happy enough with that.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-matt-macey-opens-up-on-future-at-easter-road-and-winning-the-fa-cup-with-arsenal-3206343

jacomo
21-04-2021, 09:04 AM
Apparently he's starting against against Motherwell and any subsequent cup games. Sounds like there's a good chance we'll have him for next season. Happy enough with that.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-matt-macey-opens-up-on-future-at-easter-road-and-winning-the-fa-cup-with-arsenal-3206343

‘Talking about a new deal.’ Sounds positive.

Northernhibee
21-04-2021, 09:15 AM
‘Talking about a new deal.’ Sounds positive.

Also good to see that players coming from an environment like Arsenal are impressed at what we have to offer.

hibsbollah
21-04-2021, 09:21 AM
Also good to see that players coming from an environment like Arsenal are impressed at what we have to offer.

He’s probably just delighted to be away from Artetas joyless yamfuddery. Not sure the environment at Arsenal is much to shout about these days.

21-04-2021, 10:43 AM
He’s probably just delighted to be away from Artetas joyless yamfuddery. Not sure the environment at Arsenal is much to shout about these days.

But they've got the Super League to look forward to. 🙃

hibsbollah
21-04-2021, 11:37 AM
But they've got the Super League to look forward to. 🙃

Also complete civil war between Leno and the new Spanish keeper coach. Leno surprisingly preferred the old Gk coach called Woodman, a British guy who worked across age groups including the u9s but Leno thought he improved his game, Leno complains about the newly appointed coach in the press, Arteta responded by sacking Woodman and continuing with the Spanish dude, in a GIRUY to Leno.

Macey probably has to tales to tell about the training regime.

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2021, 12:23 PM
Also complete civil war between Leno and the new Spanish keeper coach. Leno surprisingly preferred the old Gk coach called Woodman, a British guy who worked across age groups including the u9s but Leno thought he improved his game, Leno complains about the newly appointed coach in the press, Arteta responded by sacking Woodman and continuing with the Spanish dude, in a GIRUY to Leno.

Macey probably has to tales to tell about the training regime.
Leno has been good since Arteta joined so doubt there is really much issue. Civil war is a bit much.

hibsbollah
23-04-2021, 10:03 PM
Leno has been good since Arteta joined so doubt there is really much issue. Civil war is a bit much.

I agree Leno has been playing well, but that’s not my point. Keepers don’t normally call for the head of their coach publicly. Something is very wrong in the Arsenal GK dept.

bingo70
24-04-2021, 05:51 PM
Never in a million years is this guy a replacement for Marciano.

staunchhibby
24-04-2021, 05:54 PM
Bad choice by the manager.He must shoulder the blame

ac1
24-04-2021, 05:54 PM
How far across his line was he for both goals? Ridiculous

Weegreenman
24-04-2021, 06:07 PM
I don’t blame the keeper for any of the two goals. Poor defending cost us. Boyle not challenging and Hanlon I think it was not putting a challenge in. Both have played well in the game but sadly lacking in those vital moments. That’s football I suppose 🙄

Andy74
24-04-2021, 06:10 PM
I don’t blame the keeper for any of the two goals. Poor defending cost us. Boyle not challenging and Hanlon I think it was not putting a challenge in. Both have played well in the game but sadly lacking in those vital moments. That’s football I suppose 🙄

Don’t think we lose either with Rocky. Positioning would have been better.

This is why he will be tricky to replace. He just doesn’t make many mistakes, including positioning.

Weegreenman
24-04-2021, 06:15 PM
Don’t think we lose either with Rocky. Positioning would have been better.

This is why he will be tricky to replace. He just doesn’t make many mistakes, including positioning.

I disagree. If we put any kind of challenge in, they don’t score.

Please don’t talk about Rocky & mistakes! You could make a DVD of his errors.
listen, Rocky is a fantastic shot stopper but I reckon the reason he’s not had that big money move is because nobody really fancy him. He’s kidding himself on if he walks away from Hibs!

Andy74
24-04-2021, 06:17 PM

listen, Rocky is a fantastic shot stopper but I reckon the reason he’s not had that big money move is because nobody really fancy him. He’s kidding himself on if he walks away from Hibs!

Rocky’s mistakes have been absolutely minimal in his time here so that is just nonsense.

MWHIBBIES
24-04-2021, 06:17 PM

Go on then, make a video of his mistakes. It won't be long. Quality keeper.

24-04-2021, 06:18 PM
Macey to save 2 penalties.

Weegreenman
24-04-2021, 06:20 PM
Rocky’s mistakes have been absolutely minimal in his time here so that is just nonsense.

Is it aye? lol

Heisenberg
24-04-2021, 06:22 PM
Is it aye? lol

It is. Marciano has barely made any glaring errors and he’s been here about 5 years.

Weegreenman
24-04-2021, 06:25 PM
It is. Marciano has barely made any glaring errors and he’s been here about 5 years.

He’s made plenty. Mostly from poor concentration or from trying to be too clever. However I will concede he’s top drawer at shot stopping.

MWHIBBIES
24-04-2021, 06:40 PM
He’s made plenty. Mostly from poor concentration or from trying to be too clever. However I will concede he’s top drawer at shot stopping.

You'll be able to list 10 or 15 no problem then

makaveli1875
24-04-2021, 06:44 PM

1 that springs to mind when he came charging out the box and got himself sent off . He had a lot of credit in the bank though

Ozyhibby
24-04-2021, 06:46 PM
Sorry but Marciano has to be in goal for the semi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy74
24-04-2021, 06:47 PM
1 that springs to mind when he came charging out the box and got himself sent off . He had a lot of credit in the bank though

Which is largely the only one I can think of. I’m sure there’s a few more but not many over his time here.

ekhibee
Marciano wasn't playing, this is a thread aout Macey.

bingo70

Sensational amount of ***** you’re talking here.

Allant1981
24-04-2021, 06:48 PM
Not sure Macey can be blamed for either of the goals, but the defence and him didn't look very comfortable tonight

24-04-2021, 06:49 PM
Macey to save 2 penalties.

Nearly right. His 6'7" frame was enough to cause them to go high and wide. 🙃

Weegreenman
24-04-2021, 06:50 PM
Sensational amount of ***** you’re talking here.

Nae bother! Take it you disagree then ? lol 😂

green day
24-04-2021, 06:50 PM
Are people REALLY suggesting that Macey was really at fault today?

Honestly - enjoy the win, we move on as a team.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2021, 06:51 PM
Watching the goals again, i dont think he could have saved either, although he did look a little hesitant a couple of times.

Peevemor

Not for me.

He wouldn't have got to the 1st even had he dived and the second was 100% down to the defenders.

Hannah_hfc
Although Macey didn’t directly save any penalties, still felt a bit more confident with him in goal for the shootout than Marciano

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo70
Nae bother! Take it you disagree then ? lol 😂

Yes 😂

Weegreenman
24-04-2021, 06:52 PM

Aye, I think they really are.
nobody mentioning the lack of any kind of challenge for the two headed goals though.

Brightside
24-04-2021, 06:56 PM
People are stupid.

Weegreenman
24-04-2021, 06:59 PM
Yes 😂

ha ha I have had a few beers right enough and have been known for slavering pish but I stand behind every bit of pish I’ve slavered on this thread 🤣🤣🤣👍💚

hibbysam
24-04-2021, 06:59 PM
Aye, I think they really are.
nobody mentioning the lack of any kind of challenge for the two headed goals though.

Only one of the goals was headed FYI.

bingo70
24-04-2021, 07:03 PM
People are stupid.

Yes, it’s really common for top keepers to be seen running after balls going looping into the net.

People who can see he got that wrong are clearly the stupid ones.

Broken Gnome
24-04-2021, 07:08 PM
Rocky had a howler at home to Hamilton, one at home to Rangers too - both the first season back up.

Aside from that, it's only really things he might have dealt with better rather than outright blunders. He was dropped for Maxwell for a decent spell of time as well.

scoopyboy
24-04-2021, 07:11 PM
Which is largely the only one I can think of. I’m sure there’s a few more but not many over his time here.

There's not been too many Andy, I agree.

The worst one for me was the first goal in a 3-0 defeat in December 2019 against Rangers. Casually passed to the opponent who duly despatched it.

Col2
24-04-2021, 07:16 PM
Rocky back for semi. I think we can be certain of that.

bigwheel
24-04-2021, 07:21 PM
Rocky back for semi. I think we can be certain of that.

Don’t think so...think Ross has promised Macey that he will play all the cup ties

loanheadhibby
24-04-2021, 07:29 PM
Look Marciano is I'm pretty sure a better keeper but it's the old story you're a much better player when you're not playing.
Rocky has like most keepers made plenty of errors. Aberdeen's 2nd goal in the 2017 cup semi and Rangers 1st goal early on at Easter Road December 2019 spring to mind.
I think we're being a bit harsh blaming the keeper for tonight's 2 goals

Pretty Boy
24-04-2021, 07:31 PM
I said before th Stranraer game that I was wary about playing Macey in the cup games. Precicesly for this reason. It now leaves us with a decision to make before the semi final and it also gives rise to a situation like this where hypothetical 'if Marciano was playing' scenarios get put forward. I know other clubs do it but I think it's best left for the group stages of the LC. In the latter stages of either cup, you play your strongest team. We aren't Man Utd, we don't have a world class keeper warming te bench.

On the subject of today. I always assess goals and say would I be happy to take the blame if I conceded that? The 1st one? Definitely. I think he anticipated a touch that never came and then was unable to react. He'll be disappointed. The 2nd? I'm not so sure. The cross was a tricky one to come for, it's one if he comes and takes it you say great, if he gets caught underneath it then he's in trouble. It's a good header from close range. He's maybe a step too far over but he's always going to defend that near post. A keeper maybe saves that 5 times out of 10 and it's hailed a great save when he does.

More generally today was the 1st time I've been really unconvinced by him. He looked quite nervy throughout and hesitated on a couple of occasions.

Lancs Harp
24-04-2021, 07:37 PM
Its the business end of the season, Jack must play who he considers to be the best keeper. No room for sentiment or that Macey or whoever has played in previous rounds. We now pa our strongest team. personally I think thats Rocky in goal but will leave it to Jacks judgement, he's the man.

Northernhibee
24-04-2021, 07:37 PM
Not for me.

He wouldn't have got to the 1st even had he dived and the second was 100% down to the defenders.

Yep, it’s painfully obvious. Macey not at fault for either.

hibbysam
24-04-2021, 07:38 PM
I said before th Stranraer game that I was wary about playing Macey in the cup games. Precicesly for this reason. It now leaves us with a decision to make before the semi final and it also gives rise to a situation like this where hypothetical 'if Marciano was playing' scenarios get put forward. I know other clubs do it but I think it's best left for the group stages of the LC. In the latter stages of either cup, you play your strongest team. We aren't Man Utd, we don't have a world class keeper warming te bench.

On the subject of today. I always assess goals and say would I be happy to take the blame if I conceded that? The 1st one? Definitely. I think he anticipated a touch that never came and then was unable to react. He'll be disappointed. The 2nd? I'm not so sure. The cross was a tricky one to come for, it's one if he comes and takes it you say great, if he gets caught underneath it then he's in trouble. It's a good header from close range. He's maybe a step too far over but he's always going to defend that near post. A keeper maybe saves that 5 times out of 10 and it's hailed a great save when he does.

More generally today was the 1st time I've been really unconvinced by him. He looked quite nervy throughout and hesitated on a couple of occasions.

I’m the opposite with the two goals. The first one IMO he can’t react as he needs to wait for a touch, horrendous for a keeper. The second he was right not to come, it landed around 10 yards from goal, with 3 players in between, issue being is he ended up at least a yard too far over, pretty tame header but couldn’t react.

nlandsafchibee
24-04-2021, 07:41 PM
Any comparison with Rocky is not really relevant. They have different strengths and are at different stages of their career. It appears as the loan period goes on that enough of him has been seen to look at a contract being discussed. He made a vital save from Cole in first half which should not be forgotten. I also think because of his size and wide reach with his arms and hands he is an imposing figure between the posts at penalties putting that little bit extra pressure on opponents.

Billy Whizz
24-04-2021, 07:44 PM
If Ross is intending signing Macey as 1st choice next season, he’ll have to play him in the semi final

truehibernian
24-04-2021, 07:46 PM
I’m the opposite with the two goals. The first one IMO he can’t react as he needs to wait for a touch, horrendous for a keeper. The second he was right not to come, it landed around 10 yards from goal, with 3 players in between, issue being is he ended up at least a yard too far over, pretty tame header but couldn’t react.

Second came from a cracking pin-point cross from O'Donnell and I would have expected far better marking on Watt - free header in the 6 yard box :rolleyes:- I don't blame Macey at all for the goals tonight. Defending was poor for both.

Borderhibbie76
24-04-2021, 08:09 PM
Macey was not at fault for either goal and to say otherwise is a bit ridiculous really. He's pulled off another vital save and was solid enough as far as I'm concerned

hibbysam
24-04-2021, 08:09 PM
Second came from a cracking pin-point cross from O'Donnell and I would have expected far better marking on Watt - free header in the 6 yard box :rolleyes:- I don't blame Macey at all for the goals tonight. Defending was poor for both.

It was well outside the 6 yard box, but it was just a big up and under, wasn’t a great cross, and was a tame header yards inside the post, Macey just got his positioning wrong.

Magpie
24-04-2021, 08:10 PM
I like him. A big club like Arsenal wouldn’t have him on the books if he was poor, hopefully he will be part of history by the end of May.

Jdawg
24-04-2021, 08:15 PM
I like him. A big club like Arsenal wouldn’t have him on the books if he was poor, hopefully he will be part of history by the end of May.

Makalamby was at Chelsea. The Portuguese keeper hearts had last year is at Man Utd. It means nothing. Not seen enough of Macey to make any determination thus far.

Magpie
24-04-2021, 08:17 PM
Makalamby was at Chelsea. The Portuguese keeper hearts had last year is at Man Utd. It means nothing. Not seen enough of Macey to make any determination thus far.

That’s fair enough, I think he has a bit about him but once he plays regular football I think we can make a better judgement. For Ross to trust him in the Scottish Cup ahead of Rocky shows that he will probably be our future keeper.

gbhibby
24-04-2021, 08:25 PM
Hopefully ends up with a a winners medal to follow up on his winners medal last year

Brightside
24-04-2021, 08:31 PM
If you blame Macey for those goal just give up on the football.

Callum_62
24-04-2021, 08:35 PM
If you blame Macey for those goal just give up on the football.Still think he should have came and punched away the 2nd

The first he looks horrendous but would need to see it again

Both were quite twne efforts at goal that didn't exactly shave the post in the way in

He looked dodgy at a header that was very similar to the first goal we lost too - his positioning looked suspect to me

O'Rourke3
24-04-2021, 08:44 PM
Goals against are not always someones fault but when he looks back and sees how far off centre he was with both goals he will be disappointed. The second he made the right decision that he would not get there but left too much of a target for Watt, who again caused us loads of problems.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Winston Ingram
24-04-2021, 08:51 PM
Yep, it’s painfully obvious. Macey not at fault for either.

This.

Big_Franck
24-04-2021, 08:58 PM

If you don't blame him, watch his positioning when the Motherwell player makes contact with their strikes for both goals. For both goals he's clearly far too close to the back post leaving him too much distance to cover to get back and make a routine save.

If Rocky had started we'd have won that game in 90 minutes without a doubt and we'd have Gogic for the semi.

If nothing else that late scare showed we shouldn't be giving backup players 'a chance' in the Scottish Cup.

RyeSloan
24-04-2021, 10:25 PM
If you don't blame him, watch his positioning when the Motherwell player makes contact with their strikes for both goals. For both goals he's clearly far too close to the back post leaving him too much distance to cover to get back and make a routine save.

If Rocky had started we'd have won that game in 90 minutes without a doubt and we'd have Gogic for the semi.

If nothing else that late scare showed we shouldn't be giving backup players 'a chance' in the Scottish Cup.

Not buying any of that.

The first is a total shank that somehow loops into the far corner...no keeper would be covering that eventuality.

The second was a huge looping cross that the defence had to deal with...he has to cover the post and area closest to the attacker as otherwise Watt just heads it straight in the near post. It was a great header, well placed under zero pressure.

Just not getting how anyone can blame the keeper for either of them or somehow be certain Rocky would have done anything different.

hibbysam
24-04-2021, 10:26 PM
Not buying any of that.

The first is a total shank that somehow loops into the far corner...no keeper would be covering that eventuality.

The second was a huge looping cross that the defence had to deal with...he has to cover the post and area closest to the attacker as otherwise Watt just heads it straight in the near post. It was a great header, well placed under zero pressure.

Just not getting how anyone can blame the keeper for either of them or somehow be certain Rocky would have done anything different.

‘Well placed’ 2/3 yards inside the post, going back across the goal which means it should be even easier to get close to. His positioning was way off.

Pretty Boy
24-04-2021, 10:31 PM
I think there is a huge grey area between 'howler' and 'never the keepers fault'.

Neither goal conceded was close to a howler. I think both will see Macey and Samson watching the footage closely together and analysing what he could have done better though.

I'd say the same about one of the goals we conceded at Ibrox the other week. It wasn't a howler by Marciano but he'll have analysed what he could have done better with the initial shot and whether he could have done more to get the ball out of the danger area.

Of course on all occasions they could conclude the goalkeeper did everything right. Most keepers are their own biggest critics though, albeit the best can compartmentalise their mistakes, and I have a nagging suspicion that Macey will be a wee bit disappointed tonight.

truehibernian
24-04-2021, 10:35 PM
Macey getting stick has me shaking my head in bafflement :rolleyes: no way could he be faulted for either goal - utterly bizarre anyone would think that. The defending was criminal given the amount of players we had back yet left both scorers unmarked and wrong side.

ekhibee
24-04-2021, 10:36 PM

I disagree with virtually everything you just said..

bingo70
24-04-2021, 10:36 PM

You’re in no position to make calls like that.

hibsbollah
24-04-2021, 10:38 PM

This does my head in. It’s the usual using hindsight to blame keepers whatever they do. He’s only ‘clearly’ too close to the back post in your post because of where the ball ended up. If the ball has a different trajectory from the strikers body it’s suddenly great positioning :greengrin

hibsbollah
24-04-2021, 10:38 PM
I disagree with virtually everything you just said..

Me too.

RyeSloan
24-04-2021, 10:40 PM
‘Well placed’ 2/3 yards inside the post, going back across the goal which means it should be even easier to get close to. His positioning was way off.

Easier to get close to? There is reason players are told to head it back across goal...that it’s difficult for the keeper to get to because he has to cover the near post and centre of the goal or he’s gifting it!

The fault for the second is all down to allowing the cross and the awful cover. As I said it was a great header that was perfect slotted into the space that is inevitably left by the keeper needing to cover the side of the goal closest to the attacker.

Could he have done better? Well maybe at a push but I don’t think many, if any, keepers are saving that.

hibbysam
24-04-2021, 10:44 PM
Easier to get close to? There is reason players are told to head it back across goal...that it’s difficult for the keeper to get to because he has to cover the near post and centre of the goal or he’s gifting it!

The fault for the second is all down to allowing the cross and the awful cover. As I said it was a great header that was perfect slotted into the space that is inevitably left by the keeper needing to cover the side of the goal closest to the attacker.

Could he have done better? Well maybe at a push but I don’t think many, if any, keepers are saving that.

It was a cross with zero pace, a header with zero pace. It wasn’t a tight angle (at which point I’d expect the keeper to cover his near post), his angles were all completely wrong. That doesn’t mean there wasn’t fault elsewhere, but 8 times out of 10 a keeper would save that second goal. He’s in the wrong position and flat footed, meaning he can’t even make a meaningful effort to save it.

truehibernian
24-04-2021, 10:45 PM
Thank **** we are debating the pros and cons of a really decent keeper after a win and not back to the days of Zibi, Brown, Maka, Smith and Stack after a horrific defeat when the keepers were genuinely at fault :faf:

bingo70
24-04-2021, 10:47 PM
Thank **** we are debating the pros and cons of a really decent keeper after a win and not back to the days of Zibi, Brown, Maka, Smith and Brown after a horrific defeat when the keepers were genuinely at fault :faf:

To me, you’re just highlighting most fans inability to differentiate between an obvious howler and a professional keeper that gets their positioning/footwork wrong.

A good keeper wouldn’t have lost the goals he did today, even if they weren’t obvious howlers.

hibsbollah
24-04-2021, 10:49 PM
Thank **** we are debating the pros and cons of a really decent keeper after a win and not back to the days of Zibi, Brown, Maka, Smith and Stack after a horrific defeat when the keepers were genuinely at fault :faf:

What worries me is the pitchfork brigade seem to already have a bone to pick with a keeper who has literally done **** all wrong in any game yet and made some very decent saves, including today :faf: actually not funny.

Danderhall Hibs
24-04-2021, 10:51 PM
To me, you’re just highlighting most fans inability to differentiate between an obvious howler and a professional keeper that gets their positioning/footwork wrong.

A good keeper wouldn’t have lost the goals he did today, even if they weren’t obvious howlers.

I think we go in depth on our goalies - like the years of trauma we had to suffer cause us to analyse every goal in detail starting with the goalie done wrong and working backwards.

Having said that Marciano seems to get off Scot free at times.

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2021, 10:53 PM
The goalkeeper’s union on here at each other’s throats

Some on here were defending Macey at Darkheid and now they want to hang him out to dry

Dearie me !

The most important thing is we are in the next round

GGTTH

truehibernian
24-04-2021, 10:53 PM
What worries me is the pitchfork brigade seem to already have a bone to pick with a keeper who has literally done **** all wrong in any game yet and made some very decent saves, including today :faf: actually not funny.

Bollah, seriously, I'm sitting with my glass of malbec in utter bemusement at the threads about Matt Macey - some have very very very poor memories of what we've seen before. And from what I've seen of him, he's been very very good. That's opinions though.........we all have one.

hibsbollah
24-04-2021, 10:59 PM
Bollah, seriously, I'm sitting with my glass of malbec in utter bemusement at the threads about Matt Macey - some have very very very poor memories of what we've seen before. And from what I've seen of him, he's been very very good. That's opinions though.........we all have one.

Well I’m on the sauv blanc so I’ll raise one to you because I agree completely :greengrin. I think psychologically folk want individuals to blame increasingly year on year, often keepers, probably frustration about Covid etc and not being able to attend in person doesn’t help.

B.H.F.C
24-04-2021, 11:04 PM
I’m not sure about him.

The first goal floated in but I’m not sure he could have done much. The second one he started to come, went back, then couldn’t do anything as a result.

Don’t think he’s the same class as Rocky. Rocky must play in the semi for me.

Zazu62
24-04-2021, 11:06 PM

That list of names is truly minging seemed like we had a goalkeeper error in about 10 derbies back then

truehibernian
24-04-2021, 11:09 PM
I’m not sure about him.

The first goal floated in but I’m not sure he could have done much. The second one he started to come, went back, then couldn’t do anything as a result.

Don’t think he’s the same class as Rocky. Rocky must play in the semi for me.

I'm comfortable with either being selected for the semi BHFC...........both are really good keepers. I'm just not seeing the 'errors' in Macey that others are - he's been really solid in the games he's played, made saves, not had howlers, and been part of winning sides.

truehibernian
24-04-2021, 11:11 PM
That list of names is truly minging seemed like we had a goalkeeper error in about 10 derbies back then

I remember bumping into Eddie Turnbull and when I asked him about Maka he said 'if it were me I'd have put Riordan in goals' :greengrin

The Harp Awakes
24-04-2021, 11:12 PM
Not buying any of that.

I did not watch the game live tonight but followed the updates on hibs.net. I had assumed from the comments on the match thread that Macey was at fault with both goals.

Having now watched the highlights I cannot see how he's at fault with either goal. I agree 100% with your summary of each goal.

The first was a fluke and the 2nd was very poor defending.

B.H.F.C
24-04-2021, 11:17 PM
I'm comfortable with either being selected for the semi BHFC...........both are really good keepers. I'm just not seeing the 'errors' in Macey that others are - he's been really solid in the games he's played, made saves, not had howlers, and been part of winning sides.

Hard to judge him either way for me. Not sure he’s really bad, yet to see he’s really good. As I say, I thought he caused a bit of indecision at the equaliser.

Bangkok Hibby
25-04-2021, 05:51 AM
Me too.

And me

jingler1954
25-04-2021, 05:57 AM
I think his positioning for the second goal was suspect apart from that he didn't do much wrong. I like his distribution as he tries to play it out from the back more than Rocky. As said by someone else Macey or Rocky both good keepers.

hibee-boys
25-04-2021, 06:01 AM
I didn’t think he was at fault for either goal, made a great save with his feet to deny a certain goal, comfortable on cross balls.......he gets my vote.

Allant1981
25-04-2021, 06:14 AM

Must be amazing being a qualified coach, especially a goalkeeping coach as there aren't many, you must get loads of job offers with your knowledge

ACLeith
25-04-2021, 06:32 AM
I'm comfortable with him. He has been a spectator for most if the other rounds yet made good saves when called upon. Sign of good focus. His save yesterday with his foot was at a crucial time. And he would have saved the pen that hit the post if it had been on target.

Courteous, Ter Stegen, Oblak, Neuer - they all make mistakes.

Coach Jon
25-04-2021, 06:48 AM
Macey has never let us down. Personally I felt more confident with Macey in goals yesterday, especially when the game went to penalties.

duffers
25-04-2021, 06:50 AM
Must be amazing being a qualified coach, especially a goalkeeping coach as there aren't many, you must get loads of job offers with your knowledge

I’m not sure that argument works as I’ve got my goalkeeping badges and didn’t think he was at fault for either. First one is just a fluke, and 2nd is poor defending. Still obviously prefer Rocky, but Macey is a good enough back up.

Allant1981
25-04-2021, 07:28 AM
I’m not sure that argument works as I’ve got my goalkeeping badges and didn’t think he was at fault for either. First one is just a fluke, and 2nd is poor defending. Still obviously prefer Rocky, but Macey is a good enough back up.

It surely does work then, you are a qualified goalkeeping coach and didn't think he was at fault

Brooster
25-04-2021, 07:30 AM
This place is crazy at times, Macey does absolutely nothing wrong in any of his games and helps us to a penalty shootout win and folk start having a. Marciano chucks one in at Ibrox recently and hardly anyone says a thing. Macey is a very good keeper and will do for me.

Sammy7nil
25-04-2021, 07:31 AM
The second goal is all Boyle’s doing he makes at least three errors in build up. Macey did fine and imho did nothing wrong for either goal. Looks a decent keeper but far too early for lots of praise or criticism at this stage.

McD
25-04-2021, 07:37 AM
This place is crazy at times, Macey does absolutely nothing wrong in any of his games and helps us to a penalty shootout win and folk start having a. Marciano chucks one in at Ibrox recently and hardly anyone says a thing. Macey is a very good keeper and will do for me.

bingo70
25-04-2021, 07:47 AM

Hardly chucked one in.

Fwiw I may have had a shandy or two too many last night and looking back on my posts on the subject I agree I came across as a fanny, I’m more than capable of doing that sober so chucking bevy into the mix is a dangerous combination.

I do still think he could have done better with the goals and think he was caught flat footed, I also don’t think he’s as good as Marciano.

That said, who cares, he played a part in getting us through to the semi final and I completely agree with Strachan that his presence in the shoot out was a factor in Motherwells poor penalties.

hibsbollah
25-04-2021, 08:03 AM
It surely does work then, you are a qualified goalkeeping coach and didn't think he was at fault

I think he missed the sarcasm in your post.

I’ve got my first couple of keeper coaching badges (before it starts costing four figure sums to get to b licence!) and coach the same 11-15 age group as PB. I’m also a bit of a geek for analysis and podcasts and training videos. None of this means I’m absolutely right all the time about my opinion about goalkeeping, most of the best comment comes from a humble place where you make clear that all opinions are equally valid if they come from a point of trying to understand what the player is trying to do and what’s going through his mind when he makes his decision.

There’s a total lack of proper analysis of keeping on tv, for some reason they think that McManaman or Keane or Neville are qualified to do the job, when they don’t have a clue, still banging on about ‘getting beat on the near post should never happen’ and being ‘flat footed’, does my head in.

hibbysam
25-04-2021, 08:08 AM

I think he’s a solid enough keeper, just feel the comments about him being blameless for the second goal last night are wrong IMO. When you see the angle on Sportscene from behind the goal, he’s at least a yard too far over, and the ball only passes him by about 2 yards, if his positioning is correct then he just picks the ball up. Also if he’s that yard over, he’s still more than capable of covering his near post as well.

Hibs90
25-04-2021, 08:15 AM
My first thought at the first goal was ‘where is he going?’ Then watching the replay confirmed that, positioning was poor. He may not have got it anyway but if he’s more in the center of the goal it at least gives him a better shot.

It’s not even a debate for me, Marciano is a level above in my opinion. In saying that I’d be interested to see stats for goals conceded on average which you can comfortably say are goalkeeper errors. I suspect Marciano comes out on top. He is going to be extremely difficult to replace.

hibsbollah
25-04-2021, 08:28 AM
My first thought at the first goal was ‘where is he going?’ Then watching the replay confirmed that, positioning was poor. He may not have got it anyway but if he’s more in the center of the goal it at least gives him a better shot.

It’s not even a debate for me, Marciano is a level above in my opinion. In saying that I’d be interested to see stats for goals conceded on average which you can comfortably say are goalkeeper errors. I suspect Marciano comes out on top. He is going to be extremely difficult to replace.

Problem with GK stats part one
1. Judging what is an ‘error’ is subjective. If we go by what football pundits say I’d only agree with them 1 time out of 10. Even opta can’t really be trusted.
2. % stats are much better than absolute stats but you hardly ever see them. A keeper who plays behind ten poor teammates is always going to concede more shots and more errors than someone who plays in front of a better team.
3. Some keepers have a busier style that lends them to more saves, interceptions, crosses claimed but also more mistakes. Lloris is a good example, the classic sweeper keeper, comes out for lots of through balls and crosses and will make a few VISIBLE mistakes. De Gea is risk averse, but when he doesn’t come out, it might not be a visible error but he hasn’t helped his team and so might indirectly to a goal. So he gets let off by the pundit.

There’s lots more :greengrin

Edit-confused subjective and objective there. Clear error.

McD
25-04-2021, 08:29 AM
1. Judging what is an ‘error’ is objective. If we go by what football pundits say I’d only agree with them 1 time out of 10. Even opta can’t really be trusted.
2. % stats are much better than absolute stats but you hardly ever see them. A keeper who plays behind ten poor teammates is always going to concede more shots and more errors than someone who plays in front of a better team.
3. Some keepers have a busier style that lends them to more saves, interceptions, crosses claimed but also more mistakes. Lloris is a good example, the classic sweeper keeper, comes out for lots of through balls and crosses and will make a few VISIBLE mistakes. De Gea is risk averse, but when he doesn’t come out, it might not be a visible error but he hasn’t helped his team and so might indirectly to a goal. So he gets let off by the pundit.

:top marks

Hibs90
25-04-2021, 08:37 AM
1. Judging what is an ‘error’ is subjective. If we go by what football pundits say I’d only agree with them 1 time out of 10. Even opta can’t really be trusted.

Edit-confused subjective and objective there. Clear error.

That’s why I said you could comfortably say were goalkeeping errors.

DIXIHIBS
25-04-2021, 08:39 AM
I remember bumping into Eddie Turnbull and when I asked him about Maka he said 'if it were me I'd have put Riordan in goals' :greengrin

Just checked wiki. Maka had a 13 year career. Total games played 66....57 of them for hibs. He played just 9 games in about 9years after he left us. I think eddie turnbull was right!!

Hibee Mac
25-04-2021, 08:40 AM

Edit-confused subjective and objective there. Clear error.Good points, like this. Sounds like you need to come up with a better way to analyse goalies and sell it to sky/bt [emoji6]

Smartie
25-04-2021, 09:17 AM
Neither of the goals were comfortable viewing but I agree with whoever made the point that they lie somewhere in that vast area between “Macey did nothing wrong” and “howler from the goalkeeper”.

The first one seems to have 3 or 4 of our players just watching it go in but it’s hard to pick any one out and say that they should have done more.

The second irritates me more. We’d played well early on in the game and put 4 or 5 very good balls into the Motherwell box. A combination of solid defending and lack of something on our part to get on the end of them meant that we didn’t score from any of them. Their second goal came from a basic lump into the box, and I just find it harder to accept that we shouldn’t be expecting to deal better with the cross.

Eyes will be on Macey now but I’ve been quite happy with him so far and would probably be happy going with him. He had other good moments in the match and I think the fact that we had a 6ft7 goalkeeper will have been in the minds of their players taking penalties.

I also don’t think it would be very clever of Ross to go back on his word if he’s promised Macey all the cup games.

hibsbollah
25-04-2021, 09:31 AM
Neither of the goals were comfortable viewing but I agree with whoever made the point that they lie somewhere in that vast area between “Macey did nothing wrong” and “howler from the goalkeeper”.

The first one seems to have 3 or 4 of our players just watching it go in but it’s hard to pick any one out and say that they should have done more.

The second irritates me more. We’d played well early on in the game and put 4 or 5 very good balls into the Motherwell box. A combination of solid defending and lack of something on our part to get on the end of them meant that we didn’t score from any of them. Their second goal came from a basic lump into the box, and I just find it harder to accept that we shouldn’t be expecting to deal better with the cross.

Eyes will be on Macey now but I’ve been quite happy with him so far and would probably be happy going with him. He had other good moments in the match and I think the fact that we had a 6ft7 goalkeeper will have been in the minds of their players taking penalties.

I also don’t think it would be very clever of Ross to go back on his word if he’s promised Macey all the cup games.

Yes I agree with you and pretty boy on that. There’s a clear error and there’s a maybe could have done better. We could call it a ‘whits the keeper daein Tam’ and the ‘He’ll be wondering if he could have done better there, Brian’ mistake.

Pretty Boy
25-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Good points, like this. Sounds like you need to come up with a better way to analyse goalies and sell it to sky/bt [emoji6]

I think just having an elite goalkeeper or goalkeeping coach on occasionally would be a big step forward.

I like Gary Neville as a pundit and he was obviously a top player but there are times when you get the 'I want my keeper dealing with that' stuff from him. It would be good to hear a counter argument from an informed position. I daresay a couple of all time greats like Schmeichel and Van Der Sar weren't going to to Neville for assessment of their performance when they were team mates.

It isn't necessarily about having someone say the keeper is never at fault but rather giving informed opinion on what kind of things the keeper and their coaching team will assess when looking back at a conceded goal. It's probably quite different from what a lot of people expect.

MrRobot
25-04-2021, 10:20 AM
It’s a hard call for me having seen them back, they most definitely are not howlers but i feel he could have done better on them.

That said, the defence was awful on both.

Peevemor
25-04-2021, 10:37 AM
It’s a hard call for me having seen them back, they most definitely are not howlers but i feel he could have done better on them.

That said, the defence was awful on both.As I've posted elsewhere, he certainly didn't look too clever for the first but I don't think he could have got to it anyway.

The 2nd for me is definitely down to the defence. With that said, it maybe wouldn't have happened had Macey had more matches with the defence to develop an understanding.

blackpoolhibs
25-04-2021, 10:38 AM
Having watched the goals again, i'm not convinced he could have done anything with either goal. I'd like to see them from behind the goal though, but i dont think he could get anywhere near them from what i've seen.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-04-2021, 10:39 AM
Goalies are always the fall guys and need to be strong characters. It's a fair point that saving the ball is their job, but if everyone else had done their jobs then Macey wouldn't have had to do his.

Centre Hawf
25-04-2021, 10:52 AM
I’m not feeling it with Macey. Was it all his fault and were they actual howlers? No.

But I’m not filled with confidence he’s a number 1 at this level, especially if we want to kick on.

lord bunberry
25-04-2021, 10:57 AM
I agree with the people saying they weren’t howlers but he could’ve done better. I find it hard to believe that anyone could watch the first goal and think he’s blameless, it was like he was anticipating a touch that never came. I’m sure he’ll be disappointed with himself for conceding that as better positioning would have led to a comfortable save. The second goal looks worse because he didn’t make an effort to save it, but he wouldn’t have got it anyway.

BILLYHIBS
25-04-2021, 10:59 AM
Let’s get back to the full backs on each post to boot the ba away

😃

Hibrandenburg
25-04-2021, 11:10 AM
I think for their first goal he was convinced it was going wide, he actually starts to lift his left hand and prepares to try and make the save but stops before the ball goes in. Even giving him the benefit of the doubt and accepting he thought he had no chance of getting to the ball and therefore didn't bother trying asks questions about his own self believe. For the second I think a keeper with reasonable reflexes might have got to it with his feet and again Macey seemed to have made his mind up that he was not getting to that ball. Maybe I'm expecting too much from him but for me standing still without even trying to make the save is not an option, a good keeper has to at least try and make the impossible possible and not just accept he's been beaten.

hibbysam
25-04-2021, 11:12 AM
Having watched the goals again, i'm not convinced he could have done anything with either goal. I'd like to see them from behind the goal though, but i dont think he could get anywhere near them from what i've seen.

If you can watch Sportscene the third angle is from behind the goal, shows his positioning quite clearly for the second. He’s just the last error in a catalogue of them though.

Hibee Mac
25-04-2021, 11:19 AM
I just rewatched the 2 goals there and sorry but Macey deserves criticism for both. As I said before not 100% at fault but definitely played his part.

I'm convinced Marciano saves that first one, 2nd one is more of a 50/50 between defenders and Maceys fault for me.

MWHIBBIES
25-04-2021, 11:23 AM
I just rewatched the 2 goals there and sorry but Macey deserves criticism for both. As I said before not 100% at fault but definitely played his part.

I'm convinced Marciano saves that first one, 2nd one is more of a 50/50 between defenders and Maceys fault for me.

Martin Boyle is more to blame for the 2nd than anyone. Gave it away stupidly under little pressure and then doesn't even challenge Watt, lets him round the back without shouting or going with. Terrible from him.

I struggle to blame a keeper when its a free header from 8 yards.

First one is a bit of a fluke goal that catches Macey out.

ACLeith
25-04-2021, 11:24 AM
Let’s get back to the full backs on each post to boot the ba away

😃

Both my son and I were goalies. I was having this discussion with him a while ago. I said that I insisted on a defender on each post, not the tall guys as in those days if necessary they would jump and stop it with their hands, give the pen away but not get a red card. He said that was so old fashioned and that you needed as many as possible to mark attacking jumpers.

Every time I saw a goal go in at the post I just looked at him and smiled knowingly.

BILLYHIBS
25-04-2021, 11:38 AM
Both my son and I were goalies. I was having this discussion with him a while ago. I said that I insisted on a defender on each post, not the tall guys as in those days if necessary they would jump and stop it with their hands, give the pen away but not get a red card. He said that was so old fashioned and that you needed as many as possible to mark attacking jumpers.

Every time I saw a goal go in at the post I just looked at him and smiled knowingly.

Lost count of the number of balls I kicked off the line in my playing days

Now my other pet peeve was playing with gash goalkeepers :greengrin

ekhibee
25-04-2021, 12:32 PM
Martin Boyle is more to blame for the 2nd than anyone. Gave it away stupidly under little pressure and then doesn't even challenge Watt, lets him round the back without shouting or going with. Terrible from him.

First one is a bit of a fluke goal that catches Macey out.

This.

Lago
25-04-2021, 02:16 PM
I think just having an elite goalkeeper or goalkeeping coach on occasionally would be a big step forward.

I like Gary Neville as a pundit and he was obviously a top player but there are times when you get the 'I want my keeper dealing with that' stuff from him. It would be good to hear a counter argument from an informed position. I daresay a couple of all time greats like Schmeichel and Van Der Sar weren't going to to Neville for assessment of their performance when they were team mates.

It isn't necessarily about having someone say the keeper is never at fault but rather giving informed opinion on what kind of things the keeper and their coaching team will assess when looking back at a conceded goal. It's probably quite different from what a lot of people expect.
Excellent summary, thank you.

Callum_62
25-04-2021, 02:41 PM

First one is a bit of a fluke goal that catches Macey out.You can see from Boyle reaction he knows he's mucked up

A free header form 8 yards from a floated cross is the only question against macey there

hibsbollah
25-04-2021, 04:19 PM

The other argument is that having a guy on the line often serves only to keep the attacking team onside when there’s a stramash in the goalmouth. and the ball gets bundled in. Went out of fashion with time.

jacomo
25-04-2021, 06:04 PM

He certainly didn’t get anywhere near them. I think we can all agree on that. :greengrin

ACLeith
25-04-2021, 06:09 PM
The other argument is that having a guy on the line often serves only to keep the attacking team onside when there’s a stramash in the goalmouth. and the ball gets bundled in. Went out of fashion with time.
I agree it's gone out of fashion but that doesn't mean it's a good move. Of course I've no stats to back up my argument but when's that ever stopped anyone on here 🤔

McD
25-04-2021, 06:53 PM
I agree it's gone out of fashion but that doesn't mean it's a good move. Of course I've no stats to back up my argument but when's that ever stopped anyone on here 🤔

Liverpool play a variant of it at corners, Robertson is always at the front post but about 3-6 yards out, Alexander-Arnold the same at the back post, and they then have the flexibility to drop to the post if necessary, or adapt to whatever situation comes out of the corner

hibsbollah
25-04-2021, 06:56 PM

You might be right, there’s arguments both ways.

Pretty Boy
25-04-2021, 06:59 PM
Liverpool play a variant of it at corners, Robertson is always at the front post but about 3-6 yards out, Alexander-Arnold the same at the back post, and they then have the flexibility to drop to the post if necessary, or adapt to whatever situation comes out of the corner

That's how I always liked to set up.

It stops the ball being whipped in at the near post as well as the player at the front can cut it out.

Jones28
25-04-2021, 07:57 PM
I like Macey, i think for all his faults at the goals yesterday, and I do think there were faults of his, the defending was equally poor, this will be a case of not knowing what we’ve got till it’s gone with Marciano.

Andy74
25-04-2021, 08:43 PM
There should be no question now of having a cup goalkeeper. Best team possible. Too much at stake.

Big_Franck
25-04-2021, 08:51 PM
There should be no question now of having a cup goalkeeper. Best team possible. Too much at stake.

Agreed. Massive opportunity so we need to go full strength.

Hibee Mac
25-04-2021, 09:02 PM
Marciano must play in the remaining games in the cup. Not worth risking giving Macey any more time in the sticks, give him the last couple of league games just not the one of cup games

BILLYHIBS
25-04-2021, 09:04 PM
Macey could win an FA Cup and a Scottish Cup badge both from the bench

Fingers crossed

ACLeith
25-04-2021, 09:08 PM

Lost count of the number of balls I kicked off the line in my playing days

Now my other pet peeve was playing with gash goalkeepers :greengrin

Sorry BH missed your reply. Don't think we played together though I certainly had some "gash" games! (and for balance some where I was the man of the match - usually one followed the other in quick succession) :agree:

And I never came close to doing a Zander Clark :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
25-04-2021, 09:12 PM
Sorry BH missed your reply. Don't think we played together though I certainly had some "gash" games! (and for balance some where I was the man of the match - usually one followed the other in quick succession) :agree:

And I never came close to doing a Zander Clark :greengrin

👍🏿

Unseen work
26-04-2021, 12:33 AM
Brilliant save at 1-0 from Devante Cole. Out very quick and stayed up really well and made a good save.

1st goal - I’ve noticed him do this a lot but it’s like a half fall/stumble he does when he thinks it’s going wide.

2nd - Again he sort of gives up. I don’t know because if his size he finds it hard but he just never looked mobile or flexible for me. Sort your feet out and get down.

Even one of the pens I remember thinking he went the right way and probably should have saved it if he got down quicker.

He’s looked good overall but there’s been a couple I think have went in a bit too easily.

I watched both goals yesterday thinking how on earth has that went in and trickled over the line.

Don’t get me wrong Marciano has made quite a few mistakes with us but there’s very few, if any, I remember thinking he doesn’t look mobile or left wondering how it’s managed to go in.

matty_f
26-04-2021, 07:44 AM
I spoke to a goalie coach last night and he said he wouldn’t put Macey to blame for either of the goals.

Bangkok Hibby
26-04-2021, 09:18 AM
I spoke to a goalie coach last night and he said he wouldn’t put Macey to blame for either of the goals.

But but loads of people on here say he was. 😒

BILLYHIBS
26-04-2021, 09:26 AM
Brilliant save at 1-0 from Devante Cole. Out very quick and stayed up really well and made a good save.

1st goal - I’ve noticed him do this a lot but it’s like a half fall/stumble he does when he thinks it’s going wide.

2nd - Again he sort of gives up. I don’t know because if his size he finds it hard but he just never looked mobile or flexible for me. Sort your feet out and get down.

Even one of the pens I remember thinking he went the right way and probably should have saved it if he got down quicker.

He’s looked good overall but there’s been a couple I think have went in a bit too easily.

I watched both goals yesterday thinking how on earth has that went in and trickled over the line.

Don’t get me wrong Marciano has made quite a few mistakes with us but there’s very few, if any, I remember thinking he doesn’t look mobile or left wondering how it’s managed to go in.

Ryan Christie freekick Scottish Cup Semi Final at Hampden beat Rocky at his near post in fact I think he dived when the ball was in already

I was asking myself how did that go in ? :greengrin

superfurryhibby
26-04-2021, 09:53 AM
Just watched the extended highlights. My tuppence worth is that Macey's positioning for the 1st wasn't ideal. He was drawn to the near post because there was a Motherwell guy in a threatening position. By doing that he left the far side of the goal woefully exposed.

Second goal, the cross was swung in from miles out and the guy headed it from around 8-10 yards out, albeit jumping from an angle. Keeper started to come and should have done so. The header itself looked saveable too.

Rocky should be back in for the semi final. Tough on Macey, but no room for sentiment at this stage. Rocky wouldn't have come for the cross, but he could well have saved both efforts.

Hibernian Verse
26-04-2021, 10:00 AM
Just watched the extended highlights. My tuppence worth is that Macey's positioning for the 1st wasn't ideal. He was drawn to the near post because there was a Motherwell guy in a threatening position. By doing that he left the far side of the goal woefully exposed.

Second goal, the cross was swung in from miles out and the gut headered it from around 8-10 yards out, albeit jumping from an angle. Keeper started to come and should have done so. The header itself looked saveable too.

Rocky should be back in for the semi final. Tough on Macey, but no room for sentiment at this stage. Rocky wouldn't have come for the cross, but he could well have saved both efforts.

I've seen variations of "Rocky should be back in for the semi final" a lot recently but it's a moot point as he won't be.

superfurryhibby
26-04-2021, 11:06 AM
I've seen variations of "Rocky should be back in for the semi final" a lot recently but it's a moot point as he won't be.

We shall see, but probably not.

Still, doesn’t detract from the point that our keeper didn't cover himself in glory at either goal.

Rocky is our best keeper, in my view he should play in the forthcoming games.