PDA

View Full Version : Team v Stranraer

Unseen work
16-04-2021, 07:36 PM
Jack Ross hinted in his pre game interview about potentially freshening up the line up for Sunday but still wants that continuity.

So what are we thinking?

For me I’d still want the vast majority of the team to stay the same. For me I’d go with

........................Macey............

.....McGinn......Porteous.....Hanlon....

Boyle.......Gogic.......Newell........Cadden...

.....................Magennis......

..................Nisbet.........Doidge......

Doig and Irvine are the 2 I think would benefit from a rest and they have 2 players who could come in and the standard wouldn’t dip.

Dropping Boyle for Wright etc would weaken the team a lot for me and give Stranraer a bit of hope. That sounds ridiculous as of course Wright should be good enough to beat them as he is a good player, but his confidence is so short and it would be pressure on him to go out and skin the full back every time.

Only other change I could see is maybe Hallberg for Newell. I thought Stevenson instead of Cadden for Doig but I think Cadden would benefit more with minutes.

I’d like to see McGinn rested too as I think he needs it. I’d bring in McGregor and put Porteous on the right of a 3 but after his performance last week I think he will want to keep that continuity

J-C
16-04-2021, 07:43 PM
I'd go 433, we don't need a back 3 against Stranraer, nor do we need a holding mid like Gogic.

Macey

McGinn
Daz
Hanlon
Stevenson

Cadden
Hallberg
Magennis

Boyle
Doidge
Nisbet

erin go bragh
16-04-2021, 07:55 PM
Chance to get to the quarterfinals of the Scottish cup . Strongest team we can play for me .

BSEJVT
16-04-2021, 08:04 PM
Macey

Cadden
Stevenson
McGregor
Porteous

Irvine
Hallberg
Magennis
Wright

Nisbet
Doidge

Not the team I would pick but the one I think JR may

PatHead
16-04-2021, 08:06 PM
The only way we can guarantee European football until Christmas is to win the cup. Therefore strongest team possible.

Northernhibee
16-04-2021, 08:16 PM
Chance to get to the quarterfinals of the Scottish cup . Strongest team we can play for me .

Completely this. Was thinking of an example from this years cup of a team under-estimating a team beneath them in the Scottish league structure and ending up with egg on their face...nope, none ring a bell.

In all seriousness though, if we either make too many changes or go in half heartedly then we'd deserve to go out of the cup. Strongest team, play as well as we can, be positive with the ball.

Hiber-nation
16-04-2021, 08:42 PM
Play our best team then make the subs when we hopefully go 3 up.

Brightside
16-04-2021, 08:43 PM
Strongest team. We only beat them 1-0 last time.

CMurdoch
16-04-2021, 09:04 PM
Macey

Cadden
Stevenson
McGregor
Porteous

Irvine
Hallberg
Magennis
Wright

Nisbet
Doidge

Not the team I would pick but the one I think JR may

That team would be good for me and would save some of the main guys like Boyle from the risk of injury for the upcoming games including against Livingston in mid week. Stranraer's team are part time players who have been playing Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday for weeks so will be tired. Even "his name is David and he watches from the stand" should be good enough to play.

MrRobot
16-04-2021, 10:57 PM
macey
porteous mcgregor hanlon
boyle irvine hallberg newell doig
doidge nisbet

green day
17-04-2021, 07:41 AM
macey
porteous mcgregor hanlon
boyle irvine hallberg newell doig
doidge nisbet

Pretty good team - Hallberg more of a footballer than Gogic whos muscle we might not need in this one.

Ross should be demanding we get out the blocks at 100mph, at least 3 goals in the first 30 minutes, win the match in the first half then subbies on for the harlem globetrotters fitba in the 2nd half.

Brightside
17-04-2021, 08:24 AM
I think we are underestimating the opponent. We struggled to beat them 2015 when we had a team with the like of Henderson, Fyvie, McGinn, Cummings. And we won with an OG. Strongest team. Get well up. Then give the bench plenty time.

One Day
17-04-2021, 08:26 AM

Yes for me too. Dont take any chances, start strongest team and change if/when in a comfortable position.

ancient hibee
17-04-2021, 09:27 AM
One look at last night’s scores should knock on the head any thought of a weaker team. Why the keennessto play Macey?

J-C
17-04-2021, 09:33 AM
One look at last night’s scores should knock on the head any thought of a weaker team. Why the keennessto play Macey?

If we're thinking of signing him on a longer contract as Rocky's replacement he needs to play in these games to show what he can do, a lot of teams play their 2nd keeper in cup games.

Pretty Boy
17-04-2021, 09:46 AM
I'd be wary of starting Macey.

If Ross has decided that Rocky is the number 1 until his contract expires then he should play. We don't want to have a situation where we get to a semi final or final and have to risk pissing off and knocking the confidence of a keeper who may still be here next season by dropping him out for that game. The implication being he doesn't feature in our 'strongest team'. The alternative being we play Macey regardless and he has the pressure of 'Rocky would have saved that' heaped on him if we lose in the latter stages.

It's not the group stages of the league Cup. I fully expect a full strength Hibs team tomorrow and the manager has decided that includes Rocky.

Billy Whizz
17-04-2021, 09:49 AM
I think there will be at least one or two changes
Probably Cadden will start, and also another midfielder attacker instead of Gogic
We should have enough in our locker, and with the game getting delayed 24 hours, less rest time before Livvi on Wednesday

Wilson
17-04-2021, 09:52 AM

I don't see it. Weaker teams than us were playing stronger opponents than we are. With the exception of Dundee Utd who are no great shakes but still progressed in relative comfort.

I'm of the opinion that if these players are good enough to be in and around the squad then they should be ready to make an impact whenever called.

I'm all for giving Stranraer due respect and would go with a strong team. I just feel there us something wrong if we're scared to go with the likes of Halberg or Drey Wright in these games