PDA

View Full Version : McGinn to West Ham

C_hendo04
15-04-2021, 10:34 PM
I was reading a couple of Aston Villa and West Ham fan pages posts and they say that Moyes is apparently willing to spend £40million to sign him this summer. If my calculations are correct we should receive £6million from Aston Villa and then we would have to give away £2million to St Mirren due to their sell on clause which means we would have £4million to play with in the summer.

Hibbyradge
15-04-2021, 10:39 PM
Ron the con would just trouser the cash, tbh.

That would be a shame, though. £4m might help make up for us losing the "maroon pound" as the gunts exact their dastardly revenge after being relegated as the bottom team in the big league. :faf:

CB Hibs 68
15-04-2021, 10:49 PM
I was reading a couple of Aston Villa and West Ham fan pages posts and they say that Moyes is apparently willing to spend £40million to sign him this summer. If my calculations are correct we should receive £6million from Aston Villa and then we would have to give away £2million to St Mirren due to their sell on clause which means we would have £4million to play with in the summer.Villa want sell SIM to West Ham and I don't think John himself would see that as a good move.Read an article about John in the equivalent of the EEN and he loves Villa.Would take a bother club than West Ham to entice him away from Birmingham.

H18 SFR
15-04-2021, 11:02 PM
Villa want sell SIM to West Ham and I don't think John himself would see that as a good move.Read an article about John in the equivalent of the EEN and he loves Villa.Would take a bother club than West Ham to entice him away from Birmingham.

Champions league football potentially might change that view.

SJNB Hibby
15-04-2021, 11:33 PM

This

matty_f
15-04-2021, 11:48 PM

And London wages.

basehibby
16-04-2021, 12:01 AM
I was reading a couple of Aston Villa and West Ham fan pages posts and they say that Moyes is apparently willing to spend £40million to sign him this summer. If my calculations are correct we should receive £6million from Aston Villa and then we would have to give away £2million to St Mirren due to their sell on clause which means we would have £4million to play with in the summer.

I could see SJM going for quite a bit more than that. Certainly I think Villa will value him highly and not be keen to let him go - so I reckon barring a significantly better offer he won't be going anywhere.

Iggy Pope
16-04-2021, 12:42 AM
Villa want sell SIM to West Ham and I don't think John himself would see that as a good move.Read an article about John in the equivalent of the EEN and he loves Villa.Would take a bother club than West Ham to entice him away from Birmingham.

Millwall it is then.

DarlingtonHibee
16-04-2021, 06:05 AM
Millwall it is then.

That made me smile ☺

MrSmith
16-04-2021, 06:58 AM
Where is the £2M (potential) to St Mirren coming from? As far as I’m aware, they were settled up when SJM moved to Villa. I can’t see them having inserted another move on clause type payment after that.

Peevemor
16-04-2021, 06:59 AM
Where is the £2M (potential) to St Mirren coming from? As far as I’m aware, they were settled up when SJM moved to Villa. I can’t see them have another move on clause type payment after that.

It was confirmed at the recent AGM that they're due 30% of any fee we get.

Allant1981
16-04-2021, 07:00 AM
Where is the £2M (potential) to St Mirren coming from? As far as I’m aware, they were settled up when SJM moved to Villa. I can’t see them having inserted another move on clause type payment after that.

Was discussed at the agm, they get 30% of what we get

MrSmith
16-04-2021, 07:05 AM
Not bad for some huh! Two future clauses.

Peevemor
16-04-2021, 07:07 AM

I think we did OK out of Steven Fletcher in a similar fashion.

Lendo
16-04-2021, 07:25 AM
I think we did OK out of Steven Fletcher in a similar fashion.

I think we got a little something for Fletcher’s third move down south if I remember correctly.

Ozyhibby
16-04-2021, 07:33 AM
Well only get something from future moves if Villa put a clause in deal with West Ham. We only get paid if Villa get paid. And St. Mirren only get paid if we get paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McD
16-04-2021, 07:37 AM
Well only get something from future moves if Villa put a clause in deal with West Ham. We only get paid if Villa get paid. And St. Mirren only get paid if we get paid.

exactly!

it’s not multiple clauses in the move from st mirren to Hibs, it’s one clause that will state st mirren receives xxx% of any monies Hibs receive in regards to John McGinn

Hibbyradge
16-04-2021, 07:45 AM
Great first post! Top info, well spotted.

Welcome to the forum.

Where have you been hiding?

danhibees1875
16-04-2021, 07:55 AM
I'm going to miss the McGinn contract debates. :greengrin

The Count
16-04-2021, 08:10 AM
Aston Villa are a far bigger English club than West Ham.Step up for him would only be Man Utd,Man City,Liverpool,Spurs,Chelsea or Arsenal.

easty
16-04-2021, 08:20 AM
Aston Villa are a far bigger English club than West Ham.Step up for him would only be Man Utd,Man City,Liverpool,Spurs,Chelsea or Arsenal.

They’re not a far bigger club than West Ham. Everton would be a step up too. So would Leicester.

Last time Villa finished above West Ham was 2012/13.

lord bunberry
16-04-2021, 08:24 AM
West Ham is a sideways move for him, if he’s going to leave Villa it will be for a bigger club. He’d be brilliant at Leeds, but again that would be a sideways move. I can see him being at Villa for a long time.

Billy Whizz
16-04-2021, 08:26 AM
I hope he doesn’t go to West Ham

danhibees1875
16-04-2021, 08:45 AM

Better than going nowhere though, in terms of cashola.

Hard to see it happening though to be honest.

Smartie
16-04-2021, 08:48 AM
Champions League football would be a step up irrespective of size of club etc.

danhibees1875
16-04-2021, 08:51 AM

Celtic are dusting off their £1M plus a years supply of skittles offer after reading that.

Since90+2
16-04-2021, 08:53 AM
Celtic are dusting off their £1M plus a years supply of skittles offer after reading that.

Difference being he'd still be playing in one of the top leagues in the world and he'd be playing Champions League football.

DH1875
16-04-2021, 09:02 AM
He is better than £40 million and West Ham.

Since452
16-04-2021, 09:02 AM

Historically yes but they are also a bigger club than Man City historically and look at them now. Money changes things.

scoopyboy
16-04-2021, 09:08 AM

Basically Aston Villa get 85%, we get 10.5% and St.Mirren get 4.5% of any transfer fee.

Oscar T Grouch
16-04-2021, 09:09 AM

I have gone through the Villa and WH forums and cannot find this mentioned anywhere. I may have missed some forums, but looking at the main ones, Villa Talk, KUMB, WHonline.net etc there is absolutely nothing along this line. There is a lot of fans unimpressed by SJM at Villa at the moment and I have not seen one post in regards to SJM on a West Ham forum. Which fans pages were you looking at?

scoopyboy
16-04-2021, 09:11 AM

I don't particularly want him to leave Aston Villa for West Ham either, I love watching him and Grealish in the same team.

However I would settle for him going to West Ham in an instant if it meant us getting £4 million in to our club, or to any other team for that matter.

scoopyboy
16-04-2021, 09:13 AM
I have gone through the Villa and WH forums and cannot find this mentioned anywhere. I may have missed some forums, but looking at the main ones, Villa Talk, KUMB, WHonline.net etc there is absolutely nothing along this line. There is a lot of fans unimpressed by SJM at Villa at the moment and I have not seen one post in regards to SJM on a West Ham forum. Which fans pages were you looking at?

I seen it but can't remember what it was on.

Hibbyradge
16-04-2021, 09:16 AM

The Rangers? 😳

Hibbyradge
16-04-2021, 09:18 AM

There is some mention of it, but it was quickly dismissed.

Wilson
16-04-2021, 09:19 AM

I wonder what kind of fan would be unimpressed with John McGinn. I read an article that suggests that the shine gets taken off him because Grealish does the things that get them off their seats. In terms of putting in the hard work though there can't be anyone better?

He has missed one game all season for them and that was through suspension - obviously an important cog in that Villa team. I hope he gets a big move and these Villains will quickly realise what they've lost.

Hibbyradge
16-04-2021, 09:23 AM
I wonder what kind of fan would be unimpressed with John McGinn. I read an article that suggests that the shine gets taken off him because Grealish does the things that get them off their seats. In terms of putting in the hard work though there can't be anyone better?

He has missed one game all season for them and that was through suspension - obviously an important cog in that Villa team. I hope he gets a big move and these Villains will quickly realise what they've lost.

I read someone saying that he dives!

MrSmith
16-04-2021, 09:25 AM
SJM should be a stick on for Man Utd! Absolute fit.

darwenhibby
16-04-2021, 10:24 AM
How old is John 26??
Hibs would need him to move on within the next 12 months.
Any big money moves won’t be in the£40m + category as there would be limited sell on value for players who then would be in their 30s

Shrekko
16-04-2021, 10:34 AM

To be fair, although he does seem to have taken a bit of criticism this season, most of their fans are still very much on his side and a lot are complaining about him having to play the defensive role.

As you say- Dean Smith is still a huge fan, which is all that's important.

hibbyfraelibby
16-04-2021, 10:40 AM

Its how Scottish clubs can extract max value for developing talent when the carpet baggers from the south come calling. They now insert sell on clauses that are enforceable over a players career up to a certain age unless bought out by the player. Not sure of the exact legal term but it works a bit like intellectual property rights. Something to thank Rodders for.

Dunbar Hibee
16-04-2021, 10:42 AM
I'm a West Ham man and there's definitely substance to it, Moyes has always been an admirer. I would suspect it depends what happens re Europe.

Shrekko
16-04-2021, 10:56 AM
I'm a West Ham man and there's definitely substance to it, Moyes has always been an admirer. I would suspect it depends what happens re Europe.

and/or if Rice is sold?

Dunbar Hibee
16-04-2021, 11:00 AM
and/or if Rice is sold?

I think unfortunately that Rice will be away, have a feeling that Man United may try to involve him in a deal with Lingard, and would imagine other clubs will be in for him too. I suppose it will all depend on where West Ham finish in the league, if could secure a CL spot I could see him wanting to have a crack at that. But in answer to your question, I think Moyes will be in for McGinn either way.

neil7908
16-04-2021, 11:41 AM
I don't particularly want him to leave Aston Villa for West Ham either, I love watching him and Grealish in the same team.

However I would settle for him going to West Ham in an instant if it meant us getting £4 million in to our club, or to any other team for that matter.

Agreed. I love SJM but Hibs are my priority and £4m is crazy money for us. Imagine getting our cut of his transfer fee and group stage European football next season. That could genuinely transform the club.

Peevemor
16-04-2021, 11:42 AM
Agreed. I love SJM but Hibs are my priority and £4m is crazy money for us. Imagine getting our cut of his transfer fee and group stage European football next season. That could genuinely transform the club.

We're not used to that kind of money. I'd hope that Ron would call Dr Mrs Budge for advice how to spend it.

16-04-2021, 11:50 AM

Don't know about forums but there is definitely some chat about it.

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-fans-react-on-twitter-to-links-with-aston-villa-midfielder-john-mcginn/

16-04-2021, 11:53 AM
To be fair, although he does seem to have taken a bit of criticism this season, most of their fans are still very much on his side and a lot are complaining about him having to play the defensive role.

As you say- Dean Smith is still a huge fan, which is all that's important.

They might be looking at 9 goals in 14 games for Scotland and thinking he should be played further forward.

You'd expect Moyes to have been watching all the Scotland matches so that may be what makes him decide to make a move.

Stuart93
16-04-2021, 11:56 AM

Imagine we’re in a position in the summer with £4m from SJM & £3.5m for nisbet. Transforming amounts of money

hibsbollah
16-04-2021, 12:00 PM
Imagine we’re in a position in the summer with £4m from SJM & £3.5m for nisbet. Transforming amounts of money

We should use it to invest in pub chains throughout the southwest of England :agree:

The Modfather
16-04-2021, 12:02 PM
I think unfortunately that Rice will be away, have a feeling that Man United may try to involve him in a deal with Lingard, and would imagine other clubs will be in for him too. I suppose it will all depend on where West Ham finish in the league, if could secure a CL spot I could see him wanting to have a crack at that. But in answer to your question, I think Moyes will be in for McGinn either way.

West Ham could play a blinder. Sell Rice for crazy money with the English premium, say £60m/£70m and sign McGinn for say £40m. Money in the bank and probably comparable quality in terms of swapping McGinn for Rice.

Spudster
16-04-2021, 12:15 PM
We should use it to invest in pub chains throughout the southwest of England :agree:

:greengrin

Kaff
16-04-2021, 12:29 PM
If West Ham are genuinely interested and start negotiations then we should hope it pricks the ears of clubs with deeper pockets and there's a bit of pressure on the fee, could easily add another £1m on what we'd get.
I'm hoping he's off this season as it would perfectly set us to grow the squad and keep in the top 4 at a time when Euro opportunities are getting more lucrative too.

Oscar T Grouch
16-04-2021, 12:43 PM
Don't know about forums but there is definitely some chat about it.

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-fans-react-on-twitter-to-links-with-aston-villa-midfielder-john-mcginn/

Cheers 007, I was looking on forum post rather than news articles which is probably why I couldn't see anything.

Oscar T Grouch
16-04-2021, 12:44 PM

I was surprised to see the negativity towards SJM on the Villa forum, but that does seem to be very recent and over the almost 300 pages on him most are complimentary rather than negative. He is being played too deep by Dean Smith though. I think a move would do him good and that in turn will do us some good too.

Inconsequential
16-04-2021, 12:54 PM
We should use it to invest in pub chains throughout the southwest of England :agree: Brilliant idea! With the pubs re-opening down south what can possibly go wrong? :wink:

Bristolhibby
16-04-2021, 01:16 PM

I think it’s a standard development fee.

The club that put the early graft should get the reward.

Right, where’s our next batch of kids. Golden Generation Mk2?

J

Since452
16-04-2021, 01:18 PM

Then maybe Ann Budge could "save" us when it went Pete Tong :greengrin

Magpie
16-04-2021, 01:24 PM
If Declan Rice was to leave then I wouldn’t be surprised to see West Ham try and sign McGinn. I can’t see either of those things happening this summer though.

calumhibee1
16-04-2021, 01:27 PM
We're not used to that kind of money. I'd hope that Ron would call Dr Mrs Budge for advice how to spend it.

Don’t you mean how to embezzle it?

Ron would 100% trouser every penny of it. Jambos told me so.

O'Rourke3
16-04-2021, 01:34 PM
I was surprised to see the negativity towards SJM on the Villa forum, but that does seem to be very recent and over the almost 300 pages on him most are complimentary rather than negative. He is being played too deep by Dean Smith though. I think a move would do him good and that in turn will do us some good too.I'd bet there were similar threads here when we were linked and then had him. Certainly nothing 3 years in though... It's fans. Stevenson, Hanlon Marciano threads spring to mind.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Itsnoteasy
16-04-2021, 02:11 PM
So does this mean that those who started to support AV cause SJM went there might have to change their team 🤔

3pm
16-04-2021, 02:21 PM
From one crap strip to another.

Dunbar Hibee
16-04-2021, 02:23 PM
West Ham could play a blinder. Sell Rice for crazy money with the English premium, say £60m/£70m and sign McGinn for say £40m. Money in the bank and probably comparable quality in terms of swapping McGinn for Rice.

Yeah you're right, however considering the market down there I'd want more than 60/70m for Rice!

Vault Boy
16-04-2021, 02:51 PM
I think Villa will price out anyone that wants McGinn for as long as they stay in the Premier League.

J-C
16-04-2021, 02:56 PM
Having watched Man U last night I'd say McGinn is a better option at the moment than Matic or Fred, that's not to say they'd go for him but he'd thrive in a team like that.

Hibee Mac
16-04-2021, 03:51 PM
Having watched Man U last night I'd say McGinn is a better option at the moment than Matic or Fred, that's not to say they'd go for him but he'd thrive in a team like that.You're right, to me he's easily ahead of Fred although I'm not a Utd fan so don't see him regularly. Utd wouldn't go for him though he'd cost a lot and is nearing 27

FilipinoHibs
16-04-2021, 04:41 PM
So does this mean that those who started to support AV cause SJM went there might have to change their team 🤔

A bit like basketball here in the Philippines - they follow the player not the team.

HoboHarry
16-04-2021, 04:48 PM
You're right, to me he's easily ahead of Fred although I'm not a Utd fan so don't see him regularly. Utd wouldn't go for him though he'd cost a lot and is nearing 27
They paid 47M for Fred and he was also 26 at the time.....

LustForLeith
16-04-2021, 05:11 PM
Recently I was speaking to someone who knows him and he says not only is he really settled down there but Villa are minted. It would take a massive bid for them to consider selling him

Hibs4185
16-04-2021, 06:09 PM
If St Mirren get their percentage as confirmed at the AGM, is there the possibility we also get percentages of future transfer fees? So 15% of every transfer fee in the future?

AgentDaleCooper
16-04-2021, 06:34 PM
If St Mirren get their percentage as confirmed at the AGM, is there the possibility we also get percentages of future transfer fees? So 15% of every transfer fee in the future?

Only if villa inserted a sell on clause when they sold him

Lago
16-04-2021, 06:37 PM
And London wages.
Yeah but then you have live there or near there.

Hibernia&Alba
16-04-2021, 06:39 PM
Wouldn't that just be a sideways move? I mean, what's the point of going from Villa to West Ham? If one of the really big boys declares interest, then fair enough.

Billy Whizz
16-04-2021, 06:41 PM
Wouldn't that just be a sideways move? I mean, what's the point of going from Villa to West Ham? If one of the really big boys declares interest, then fair enough.

If he moves from Villa, he’ll want to play for a team who play regular Champions league football
He’s 27 this year, so a big move will be soon or not at all

Hibby70
16-04-2021, 06:42 PM

Champions League, London, money.

Hibernia&Alba
16-04-2021, 06:46 PM
Champions League, London, money.

Aye, they might offer more money, but the higher cost of living in London would negate that. If West Ham qualify for the Champions League, it would be an incentive, yes. I don't see much to choose between the two clubs.

16-04-2021, 06:56 PM
I will support any club that SJM goes to. Literally any club given he wouldn’t go to any of the cretinous clubs like Huns/Millwall/Hertz

Hibernia&Alba
16-04-2021, 06:59 PM
I will support any club that SJM goes to. Literally any club given he wouldn’t go to any of the cretinous clubs like Huns/Millwall/Hertz

Chelsea? :greengrin

C_hendo04
16-04-2021, 07:00 PM
Having watched Man U last night I'd say McGinn is a better option at the moment than Matic or Fred, that's not to say they'd go for him but he'd thrive in a team like that.

If DVB does leave Man Utd this summer then they could do far worse than signing McGinn to replace him with McGinn being able to play in both a Bruno Fernandes and a Pogba style role. Plus if they were willing to spend £47 million on Fred, £40 million for McGinn seems reasonable.

Iggy Pope
16-04-2021, 07:34 PM
If DVB does leave Man Utd this summer then they could do far worse than signing McGinn to replace him with McGinn being able to play in both a Bruno Fernandes and a Pogba style role. Plus if they were willing to spend £47 million on Fred, £40 million for McGinn seems reasonable.

Who is DVB?

Hibernia&Alba
16-04-2021, 07:36 PM
Who is DVB?
Van Der Beek

J-C
16-04-2021, 07:37 PM
Who is DVB?

Donny Van de Beek the young Dutch lad.

Is It On....
16-04-2021, 08:21 PM

I thought the sell on was more than 15%?

CallumLaidlaw
16-04-2021, 08:48 PM

No. Hibs confirmed at AGM. 15% with St Mirren getting 30% of what we get.

Just_Jimmy
16-04-2021, 09:28 PM
SJM should be a stick on for Man Utd! Absolute fit.said that about three years ago on here and got roundly mocked.

he'd stroll into that midfield.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-04-2021, 10:48 PM
I would be absolutely amazed if this happens. Definition of a sideways move. He will only leave Villa for one of the traditional top 6 imo.

jgl07
17-04-2021, 12:39 AM
Aston Villa are a far bigger English club than West Ham.Step up for him would only be Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal.
I am sorry but Villa are very much on a level with West Ham. Villa have won very little. One League title and one FA Cup plus five League Cups in the last 100 years. OK they won one European Cup.

West Ham have three FA Cup wins, a European Cup Winners Cup.

I still don't see that a move to West Ham would constitute progress for John McGinn. Other clubs such as Everton or Leicester maybe would constitute progress but not West Ham. A sideways move for me?

jacomo
17-04-2021, 07:08 AM
I am sorry but Villa are very much on a level with West Ham. Villa have won very little. One League title and one FA Cup plus five League Cups in the last 100 years. OK they won one European Cup.

West Ham have three FA Cup wins, a European Cup Winners Cup.

I still don't see that a move to West Ham would constitute progress for John McGinn. Other clubs such as Everton or Leicester maybe would constitute progress but not West Ham. A sideways move for me?

Leicester? lol.

Amazing achievement to win the league back in 2016 and they are doing well these days, but a bigger club than Villa? Nope don’t think so.

ScottB
17-04-2021, 07:47 AM
‘Bigger’ seems pretty irrelevant. A step up from Villa would be a team that’s competing for and securing European football regularly, preferably Champions League. Leicester have been in and around the top 4 in recent seasons, so could be considered that. West Ham are in somewhat rarefied air for them, so would be a risky move, given there’s every chance they slump back into their usual bottom half malaise.

Even so, all these clubs are prone to that. Villa could just as easily have a West Ham style season next year and qualify for Europe. Or they could have a nightmare and be in a relegation fight. If he’s happy where he is and Villa don’t need the money, may as well stay put unless one of the really big clubs come calling.

You also have to consider whether said big clubs will come after Grealish or not. Can’t imagine Villa would sell both in the same summer.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2021, 08:00 AM
40 million and West Ham/Villa is about McGinns level. He isn't a better player than Rice for example. Hes a decent player, no doubt, but I think hes hit his ceiling a bit.

Leicester (Tielemans, Ndidi) and Everton (Allan, Doucoure) both have better midfields when the players are fit, which in fairness they haven't been much this season.

Keith_M
17-04-2021, 08:00 AM

Hibs get 15%, but have to pay 30% of that to St Mirren.

Basically, Hibs get 10.5% and St Mirren get 4.5% of any fee received by Villa.

Mr. Wonderful
17-04-2021, 08:32 AM
40 million and West Ham/Villa is about McGinns level. He isn't a better player than Rice for example. Hes a decent player, no doubt, but I think hes hit his ceiling a bit.

Leicester (Tielemans, Ndidi) and Everton (Allan, Doucoure) both have better midfields when the players are fit, which in fairness they haven't been much this season.

Fair point. DVB is technically better than all of those guys but can't get a game. I think Mcginn would be brilliant for Man U, in a similar way to Darren Fletcher was.

Not the most technically gifted player they can afford but his mentality, physicality and other attributes more than make up for it

Iggy Pope
17-04-2021, 10:51 AM
Van Der Beek

Donny Van de Beek the young Dutch lad.

Ta.
DVDB then :greengrin

ekhibee
17-04-2021, 12:20 PM

Yep, agree with this. McGinn's a good player who's adapted well to the EPL, but I'm not convinced he's a better player than Rice, and Leicester, for example, wouldn't really need him to improve the midfield they've got.

Baader
18-04-2021, 12:32 AM
They’re not a far bigger club than West Ham. Everton would be a step up too. So would Leicester.

Last time Villa finished above West Ham was 2012/13.

You are wrong. Hammers finished above Villa that season.

Nicho87
18-04-2021, 06:51 AM
Man Utd should go for him

Better than matic an van de beek. Might no be first eleven but I reckon he’s capable.

£££££

Allant1981
18-04-2021, 07:06 AM

Better than matic an van de beek. Might no be first eleven but I reckon he’s capable.

£££££

Completely different player to matic, and he isn't better. Not sure about van de beek, he was excellent with ajax but hasn't really had a chance at utd, to say mcginn is better is a big shout

MWHIBBIES
18-04-2021, 07:36 AM

£££££

Matic on his best day is easily better. A very good player. Van de beek is class and will go somewhere else and show it. No idea why united signed him and don't give him chances.

Phil MaGlass
18-04-2021, 07:45 AM
Matic on his best day is easily better. A very good player. Van de beek is class and will go somewhere else and show it. No idea why united signed him and don't give him chances.

Mcginn is a far better player than vd Beek.

MWHIBBIES
18-04-2021, 07:54 AM

Hes really not. Perhaps this season while van de beek has hardly played but at Ajax he was excellent. United was a very bad move for him.

I love Mcginn like we all do but he's found his level at villa. Good mid table Premier league player.

neil7908
18-04-2021, 08:40 AM

Van Der Beek has played in a Champions League semi final and was in a 30 man shortlist for the Ballon D'Or.

He's won the Dutch league and played in the Europa League final. He's also a couple years younger than John.

I love McGinn but Van Der Beek is comfortably a better player, despite his issues this season.

Since90+2
18-04-2021, 08:44 AM

Nah. Is he better? Possibly at some parts of the game, others Van Den Beek is better.

They are both good players, neither are world class or ever will be, and I'd say that are roughly the same level. McGinn is certainly not "far" better.

J-C
18-04-2021, 08:48 AM
Van Der Beek has played in a Champions League semi final and was in a 30 man shortlist for the Ballon D'Or.

He's won the Dutch league and played in the Europa League final. He's also a couple years younger than John.

I love McGinn but Van Der Beek is comfortably a better player, despite his issues this season.

Different players, DVB plays in the hole behind the striker and McGinn is your typical b2b, Van de Beek's problem is the form of Fernandes and Pogba so his game time has been limited.

mjhibby
18-04-2021, 08:48 AM

He may or may not be better but it’s what other premiership managers think of him that matters. Sjm would be perfect for Utd or arsenal and could be a Darren fletcher type signing for them. If west ham do bid that amount it could lead to higher bids. It wouldn’t shock anybody if sjm didn’t go for £50m plus. Remember that Fred cost around that mark. It will be a very very interesting transfer window.

bingo70
18-04-2021, 08:50 AM

If they did a straight swap I think it would be Manchester United that would be far happier.

If Mcginn was sold tomorrow it would be for significantly more than the Dutch boy.

I remember having similar arguments with people when comparing Mcginn with Ntcham. People laughed when I said Mcginn was better because Ntcham cost X million and played for France under 21s.

SJM has been a brilliant premier league player for a good while now, the Dutch boy has looked like he can’t cut it.

If McGinn was French, German or Brazilian there wouldn’t even be this argument IMO.

Since90+2
18-04-2021, 09:02 AM
If they did a straight swap I think it would be Manchester United that would be far happier.

If Mcginn was sold tomorrow it would be for significantly more than the Dutch boy.

I remember having similar arguments with people when comparing Mcginn with Ntcham. People laughed when I said Mcginn was better because Ntcham cost X million and played for France under 21s.

SJM has been a brilliant premier league player for a good while now, the Dutch boy has looked like he can’t cut it.

If McGinn was French, German or Brazilian there wouldn’t even be this argument IMO.

I agree with the last point about nationality.

I'd counter that however and suggest that we are possibly also a little biased when it comes to McGinn because he's a Hibs legend. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, he certainly is that but would he be raved about as much on here if he was English, had never played for Hibs and Villa had signed him from a lower Championship club in England?

bingo70
18-04-2021, 09:07 AM

I'd counter that however and suggest that we are possibly also a little biased when it comes to McGinn because he's a Hibs legend. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, he certainly is that but would he be raved about as much on here if he was English, had never played for Hibs and Villa had signed him from a lower Championship club in England?

We wouldn’t be raving about him but the Villa fans and neutral pundits still would be.

He’s a very very good player and has stood out in the Premiership as being so, the fact he once played for us doesn’t make us biased in saying that, it’s just true.

Since90+2
18-04-2021, 09:10 AM
We wouldn’t be raving about him but the Villa fans and neutral pundits still would be.

He’s a very very good player and has stood out in the Premiership as being so, the fact he once played for us doesn’t make us biased in saying that, it’s just true.

Possibly, but I do think there is perhaps some unconscious bias at times with him.

There's been posts on here suggesting he could be sold for 70 or 80 million. That's never going to happen.

MWHIBBIES
18-04-2021, 09:10 AM

There are some who are massively bias. He is probably been about Villas 6th or 7th best player this season, maybe. He isn't going to Man United or Arsenal.

The guy Bissouma from Brighton has been a real quality player this season, he'll get a big move this summer and I don't think that is because of a bias towards players from Mali.

WhileTheChief..
18-04-2021, 09:30 AM
If McGinn wants to win anything else in his career he will need to move on.

Probably too soon just now but he’s a smart guy and will make the move at some point.

Nicho87
18-04-2021, 09:36 AM
I’d be confident if you asked all premier league managers McGinn, or der beek McGinn would win the vote fairly comfortably.

Purely cause he is proved himself in that league now and prob could be at top 8 club in England.

Anyway time to sell villa :-)

Col2
18-04-2021, 09:45 AM
How much do we get if SJM gets sold and how does that differ percentage wise? What scenario do St Mirren get anything and is it appearance based?

😉🙃

Nicho87
18-04-2021, 09:52 AM
How much do we get if SJM gets sold and how does that differ percentage wise? What scenario do St Mirren get anything and is it appearance based?

😉🙃

A signed villa top and saints get 50% profit after tax

Andy74
18-04-2021, 10:42 AM
I’d be confident if you asked all premier league managers McGinn, or der beek McGinn would win the vote fairly comfortably.

Purely cause he is proved himself in that league now and prob could be at top 8 club in England.

Anyway time to sell villa :-)

Depends what question you are asking.

Van de Beek played at a brilliant level at Ajax but has gone to the wrong team at the wrong time.

If you are asking which of the two they’d take I suspect Van De Beek would be the choice for most of them.

Van de Beek could probably still go to a top European team in any league. Suspect McGinn would not be at that level of clubs looking at him.

McGinn has clearly had a better season because he is playing for his team. Utd have found a midfield that they pretty much stick with particularly for bigger games. Pogba even tends to be moved forward as a result. McGinn wouldn’t be playing for them either.

I hope he does for our sake but I’m not sure anymore that McGinn has another upward move to go.

Hibbyradge
18-04-2021, 10:48 AM
I hope he does for our sake but I’m not sure anymore that McGinn has another upward move to go.

That may or may not be the case, but a move doesn't have to be upwards to cost silly money.

Rumble de Thump
18-04-2021, 11:08 AM
If someone excels at their job and earns rave reviews then they've certainly not 'found their level' or 'hit the ceiling'.

MWHIBBIES
18-04-2021, 11:11 AM
If someone excels at their job and earns rave reviews then they've certainly not 'found their level' or 'hit the ceiling'.

I agree, that's why Grealish, Konsa, Watkins, Martinez etc from Villa will move on. Mcginn hasn't been as good as those guys.

Since90+2
18-04-2021, 11:45 AM

Not this season I don't think he's had rave reviews. I had a read of the villa forum and quite a few posters were saying they should be looking to improve and McGinn a squad player next season.

They comments may or may not be justified, I don't watch Villa all that often to comment fully, but the idea that he is fantastic event week and on the verge of a move to one of England's biggest clubs seems to be a bit ott.

neil7908
18-04-2021, 12:51 PM

I'd put my neck out here and say if Van Der Beek and McGinn move this summer VDB would end up at the bigger club. He was linked with Real Madrid previously. McGinn is a very good player but I'd be gobsmacked if he was on the radar of top clubs around Europe. VDB has made a bad move but will probably find himself at Juventus, Barca etc. He is younger than John and has already won more than SJM probably ever will.

In terms of bias, I would also suggest if SJM was playing in Spain, Germany, Italy etc we wouldn't be talking about him being a £40m player. The money in England is so crazy (McBurnie went for £20m) that good players are prices x4 what they would be in other leagues in Europe. A player of John's ability at say Celta Vigo (11th in Spain, same position as Villa) would be going for nowhere near £40m.

Itsnoteasy
18-04-2021, 01:07 PM

Celtic...

LeithMike
18-04-2021, 01:27 PM
Not this season I don't think he's had rave reviews. I had a read of the villa forum and quite a few posters were saying they should be looking to improve and McGinn a squad player next season.

They comments may or may not be justified, I don't watch Villa all that often to comment fully, but the idea that he is fantastic event week and on the verge of a move to one of England's biggest clubs seems to be a bit ott.Agree with this to a certain extent. McGinn seems to have struggled when Grealish has been out injured and the Villa midfield has lacked creativity and SJM hasn't really stepped up.

I think to get the best out of McGinn you've got to be aware of his strengths and weaknesses and play to his strengths. For me, he's not skillful or creative enough to be an attacking midfielder and he's not composed enough on the ball or a good enough passer to be a defensive or holding midfielder.

What he has his is amazing energy, drive, determination and strength and he's got good ability to back that up. For me, that makes him one of the best box to box midfielders in world football. Pair him with a good attacking and defensive midfielder and he'd improve any team, including Man Utd and Liverpool. Expect him to be your source of creativity or to sit and hold and he will disappoint.

Despite his goals for Scotland, I don't think Clarke has got the best out of him yet and he flits between holding him back or playing him too far forward.

To me that detracts from his greatest attributes - getting around the pitch. As a basketball coach once said about Dennis Rodman, you don't put a saddle on a mustang!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Andy74
18-04-2021, 01:49 PM
Agree with this to a certain extent. McGinn seems to have struggled when Grealish has been out injured and the Villa midfield has lacked creativity and SJM hasn't really stepped up.

I think to get the best out of McGinn you've got to be aware of his strengths and weaknesses and play to his strengths. For me, he's not skillful or creative enough to be an attacking midfielder and he's not composed enough on the ball or a good enough passer to be a defensive or holding midfielder.

What he has his is amazing energy, drive, determination and strength and he's got good ability to back that up. For me, that makes him one of the best box to box midfielders in world football. Pair him with a good attacking and defensive midfielder and he'd improve any team, including Man Utd and Liverpool. Expect him to be your source of creativity or to sit and hold and he will disappoint.

Despite his goals for Scotland, I don't think Clarke has got the best out of him yet and he flits between holding him back or playing him too far forward.

To me that detracts from his greatest attributes - getting around the pitch. As a basketball coach once said about Dennis Rodman, you don't put a saddle on a mustang!

A lot of what you say here is sensible enough but John McGinn is not one of the top box to box midfield players in world football.

LeithMike
18-04-2021, 02:16 PM
A lot of what you say here is sensible enough but John McGinn is not one of the top box to box midfield players in world football.Yeah, maybe got a wee bit carried away. Would like to see him in a top team to see how he does.

Since90+2
18-04-2021, 02:58 PM
Yeah, maybe got a wee bit carried away. Would like to see him in a top team to see how he does.

I would argue he's not even the best midfielder in the Scotland squad at the moment.

scoopyboy
19-04-2021, 12:41 PM
I would argue he's not even the best midfielder in the Scotland squad at the moment.

In terms of goal scoring he is.

When strikers aren't scoring you need midfielders to chip in.

His goals have been invaluable over the last couple of years.

Spike Mandela
19-04-2021, 12:47 PM

I bet he’s the first name on the team sheet though.

Spudster
19-04-2021, 12:54 PM
A lot of what you say here is sensible enough but John McGinn is not one of the top box to box midfield players in world football.

I'd say he's there or thereabouts. As much to do with his ability and the current trend of very few box to box midfielders in the game.

Since90+2
19-04-2021, 01:05 PM

He's certainly one of the first I'd imagine.

Scott Mctominay is probably a better player than him though. That's no slight on McGinn as he's a good player himself.

mjhibby
19-04-2021, 01:15 PM
Any player is only worth what any suitors will pay. Mcburnie going for nearly £20m proves that. We all have our opinions on players but it's what a potential buyer sees in him and what he brings to a team and he looks ideal for Man U or arsenal and also spurs. If Grealish doesn’t go then sjm could well be on the move if villa get a high enough bid. Let the speculation run riot.

hibsforeurope
19-04-2021, 02:45 PM
West Ham would be a poor move for John, as soon as fans are allowed back in to stadiums they will be back to bottom half as per usual.

There is far more potential at Leeds, SJM would suit Bielsa's style too.

19-04-2021, 08:37 PM
What an absolutely cracking player he's developed into, he's gone from strength to strength and deserves 100% another big move. Seems like a really decent, down to earth lad as well so good on him and i'll continue to follow his career with great interest and wish him every success :thumbsup:

Makes you laugh at Celtic though. What a player they could have landed if they hadn't been doing their usual and tryna play funny buggers and short change another Scottish club for a prize asset. More fool them and a much better move for John to go down South and cut it with the big boys which he ahs more than done!

hibbysam
19-04-2021, 08:41 PM
West Ham would be a poor move for John, as soon as fans are allowed back in to stadiums they will be back to bottom half as per usual.

There is far more potential at Leeds, SJM would suit Bielsa's style too.

Potential in terms of the club? There’s no way Leeds have more potential than West Ham. When you think in terms of location, fan base, stadium size, the money they save on their stadium compared to the rest of the league, current standing in the league.

basehibby
19-04-2021, 11:59 PM
I think Villa will price out anyone that wants McGinn for as long as they stay in the Premier League.

If they're sensible they won't be in any hurry to sell SJM because quite simply they will struggle to fill his boots. Hopefully some day though that ship will come in and Hibs will enjoy a handsome pay day. (And St Mirren!)

Steven79
20-04-2021, 09:18 AM
Potential in terms of the club? There’s no way Leeds have more potential than West Ham. When you think in terms of location, fan base, stadium size, the money they save on their stadium compared to the rest of the league, current standing in the league.

Leeds are a far bigger club with a fanbase that West Ham would kill for.

Since90+2
20-04-2021, 09:22 AM

To be honest I don't think there's much between them. Everton, Leeds, West Ham there are a few English clubs who are much of a muchness in terms of their bigglieness.

wookie70
20-04-2021, 11:29 AM
I'm hoping he gets two moves but because SJM is very loyal and also seems to plan his career and next steps carefully then I expect there will only be one. West Ham may get into the Champions League this year but it will be something that seldom happens. I get the feeling SJM will want a club that plays in the CL every year and with talks of super leagues players will be wanting to play on that stage so will want a move to one of those 6 teams. SJM is more than capable of performing at that level and I am hoping he stays at Villa one more Year, has a great Euros and then goes to one of the Super Six who will be able to pay a massive premium for players

Dunbar Hibee
20-04-2021, 02:19 PM

Nonsense.

Since452
20-04-2021, 04:57 PM

Do West Ham not have 50 odd thousand season ticket holders? Leeds would struggle to match that

Hibbyradge
20-04-2021, 05:08 PM
Do West Ham not have 50 odd thousand season ticket holders? Leeds would struggle to match that

Actually, I'm not sure they would struggle other than social distancing might be a bit tricky as Elland Road holds less than 40k. 😁

Seriously though, it's virtually impossible to get a ticket to a Leeds game and their 23k season tickets are alway sold out.

Although Sheffield United and Wednesday would try to dispute it, Leeds are probably the biggest club in Yorkshire which has the same population as Scotland.

I don't think they'd have too much difficulty doubling their ST numbers.

Iain G
20-04-2021, 05:15 PM

Yeah it's quality of fans not quantity, we know this from the 400,000 season ticket holders at Tynecastle...

Since90+2
20-04-2021, 05:25 PM

I don't think they would to be honest.

The Leeds metropolitan area has a population of 2.5 million and it's a one team city in an area that is likely to be fairly football mad.

cabbageandribs1875
20-04-2021, 05:34 PM
plans are quite advanced for the capacity at Elland Road increased to 50k with a rebuild of the West Stand

Leeds fans were voted last year in the top four of best club fans in england

Newcastle/Villa/Liverpool/Leeds, they give their teams tremendous backing

1van Sprou7e
21-04-2021, 09:39 AM

Yup still our most important player along with Tierney

MagicSwirlingShip
21-04-2021, 07:21 PM
Scores v Man City 💵

Nicho87
21-04-2021, 07:26 PM
Love him.

cameronw-hfc
21-04-2021, 08:00 PM
Villa have built a very, very good young team. I'm not sure SJM will want to leave. He will be looking at the team and along with Grealish and Konsa thinking they can push on even further. Just my opinion, albeit very biased(Villa and Hibs)

IWasThere2016
22-04-2021, 09:57 AM
Liverpool,. Man U or Spurs if Brenda goes there

NorthNorfolkHFC
22-04-2021, 10:40 AM
Villa have built a very, very good young team. I'm not sure SJM will want to leave. He will be looking at the team and along with Grealish and Konsa thinking they can push on even further. Just my opinion, albeit very biased(Villa and Hibs)

Grealish may be a stick on to leave this summer, might make him reconsider.

jacomo
22-04-2021, 11:19 AM

Where’s he going?

Villa fan, living the dream. Villa would want £££ for Grealish and I don’t know who would offer that.

Steven79
22-04-2021, 11:28 AM
Where’s he going?

Villa fan, living the dream. Villa would want £££ for Grealish and I don’t know who would offer that.

Rooney was an Everton fan but when the prospect of more cash and trophies came along he was off quick as a flash.

I think Kane will be another one that will be wanting a move in the summer.

C_hendo04
22-04-2021, 04:20 PM
Looks like Ferguson has been talking up McGinn

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-news-john-mcginn-20442277

cameronw-hfc
23-04-2021, 04:42 PM

The only people who actually think this will happen is non Villa fans. Whilst I do think Jack will leave, it won't be now. He's at his boyhood heroes, went from surviving on the last day to a mid table/possible top half finish next season. He will see the marked improvement and imo would take pus ing for Euro football with Villa right now than going elsewhere. If he's not had it by the time he's 27/28ish then he will, or if Villa hit a slump and he isn't playing at the level he wants to. But right now he will most likely hang on for another year or two at Villa to see if the improvement continues or if it's a good year.