PDA

View Full Version : Sean Mackie

Unseen work
14-04-2021, 11:41 PM
Does anyone know what the deal is with him?

Came in earlier in the season and done very well, got injured and not been seen since.

Ross has said a couple of times he’s still out but does anyone know what the injury is?

It’s a very important time for him with his contract ending next summer and if Doig leaves this summer he should be doing his all to make it his spot.

He’s got the quality and physicality to do so if given a run of games Imo.

CMurdoch
15-04-2021, 12:21 AM
He's been out for a long time now so it must have been a significant injury.
The worry is it is connected to his previous injury which was a serious one.
As ever Hibs haven't told us much.
Little point rushing him back at this stage in he season.

Along with Magennis, Allan, Wright and Murphy he needs a good pre season and to move away from serious injuries. Potentially 5 new first team players right there.

easty
15-04-2021, 07:47 AM
If Doig leaves in the summer, we need another left back. I'd not be happy going forward with Mackie as first choice. I've no problem with him being a backup squad player.

Brightside
15-04-2021, 08:17 AM
I think Sean had a thigh injury which is just taking a while to get to 100% - think they are giving it longer to ensure it heals before he comes back in to games. No point rushing him back at the moment when we have cover.

Jones28
15-04-2021, 09:18 AM
I like Mackie. Perfect replacement for Doig and Stevenson. Athletic, but of pace and a good defender.

jacomo
15-04-2021, 01:38 PM
I like Mackie. Perfect replacement for Doig and Stevenson. Athletic, but of pace and a good defender.

I like him too, but so far this is mostly theoretical rather than proven. I wonder if he is a better midfielder than left back.

Stuart93
15-04-2021, 01:56 PM

But out injured more often than not

Jones28
15-04-2021, 05:34 PM
But out injured more often than not

It happens.

Jones28
15-04-2021, 05:35 PM
I like him too, but so far this is mostly theoretical rather than proven. I wonder if he is a better midfielder than left back.

He’s done enough for me to prove he deserves a good go at it. By good go I mean a half a season.

J-C
15-04-2021, 06:42 PM
I think Sean had a thigh injury which is just taking a while to get to 100% - think they are giving it longer to ensure it heals before he comes back in to games. No point rushing him back at the moment when we have cover.

We have Doig and Lewis at LB, as you say no point rushing him.

JammyDoidger
15-04-2021, 07:43 PM
I'd like to think Doig would stay another season minumum. He's not even played infront of fans yet.

Billy Whizz
15-04-2021, 07:52 PM
I'd like to think Doig would stay another season minumum. He's not even played infront of fans yet.

If it’s not Doig, who is the 1 or 2 that the King of Spin is selling in the close season

JammyDoidger
15-04-2021, 08:21 PM
If it’s not Doig, who is the 1 or 2 that the King of Spin is selling in the close season

Nisbet you'd imagine would be 1, and I'd say Porteous and possibly even boyle could go? It's definitely too soon for young Doig imo, he should be looking to stay with us, try europe, derbys etc infront of crowds first before heading.

Iggy Pope
15-04-2021, 08:34 PM

Is this a new one?

Andy74
15-04-2021, 08:34 PM

King of Spin?

Unseen work
15-04-2021, 09:00 PM
If Doig gets the chance of moving to a team in the premier league he should grab it with both hands Imo.

It’s an Absolutley massive opportunity and could transform his and his families life’s.

Stay at Hibs and he could get injured or have a huge dip in form.

Go down south and have the confidence to push on whilst earning a lot of money. Worst case scenario is he ends up back in Scotland in 3-4 years.

I get the argument for learning his trade but for me the gap and opportunity is huge and not to be sniffed at.

SMAXXA
15-04-2021, 10:52 PM
If Doig gets the chance of moving to a team in the premier league he should grab it with both hands Imo.

It’s an Absolutley massive opportunity and could transform his and his families life’s.

Stay at Hibs and he could get injured or have a huge dip in form.

Go down south and have the confidence to push on whilst earning a lot of money. Worst case scenario is he ends up back in Scotland in 3-4 years.

I get the argument for learning his trade but for me the gap and opportunity is huge and not to be sniffed at.

Agree with this

Highwayman
16-04-2021, 09:12 AM
Posts on this thread are exactly what I’ve been thinking about Sean Mackie.
Can anybody advise me as to the date and game he last played.
He’s certainly not a lucky laddie with injuries and disappointing loan moves.
Not advisable to approach him if you see him standing outside a tall building in case a safe falls on your heads.
I like Mackie and wish well for the future but what has happened to him up to now doesn’t fill me with optimism.

KeithTheHibby
16-04-2021, 01:07 PM
Mackie is a good player. When he got a run of games earlier this season he looked more than capable of owning the left back position. Hibs will know this as well which is why they are taking their time with this injury.

AZhibee
16-04-2021, 02:07 PM
King of Spin?

Police, 1983?

CMurdoch
07-09-2021, 11:23 AM
5 months since this thread and almost 10 months since the injury and still no real news on Sean Mackie.
Last I saw was a 6 word comment about 6 weeks ago from JR indicating his injury is long term.

Does anyone know what the injury is and more importantly where he is with regard to recovery and comeback.

Poor guy 10 months out a couple back and then another 10 out.
He has had a tough time of it.

ekhibee
07-09-2021, 11:49 AM
5 months since this thread and almost 10 months since the injury and still no real news on Sean Mackie.
Last I saw was a 6 word comment about 6 weeks ago from JR indicating his injury is long term.

Does anyone know what the injury is and more importantly where he is with regard to recovery and comeback.

This, I really rated him when I last saw him playing but the injury has kept him out for over a year anyway and Hibs haven't really said much about what's happening either. Good and relevant questions you've raised too, let's hope we get an answer to them soon.

flash
07-09-2021, 12:47 PM
Nothing whatsoever against the guy but I have seen little to suggest he has what it takes to play first team football for us.
Be delighted to be wrong.

Hibs90
07-09-2021, 12:49 PM

I suspect he will be released once fit.

jacomo
07-09-2021, 12:54 PM

Ha!

Despite the best efforts of those Hibs fans seemingly desperate to sell our most valuable players, none of them left this summer.

Who is the king of spin now?

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2021, 12:57 PM
Nothing whatsoever against the guy but I have seen little to suggest he has what it takes to play first team football for us.
Be delighted to be wrong.

Did he not play at Ibrox in a draw or a narrow defeat, and make a great cross for our goal? I think he has at times showed up well, i also remember a decent performance against celtic at Easter road too, but then he's injured and out for a long time.

He must be worried about his future with so many long term ones.

scoopyboy
07-09-2021, 01:07 PM
Did he not play at Ibrox in a draw or a narrow defeat, and make a great cross for our goal? I think he has at times showed up well, i also remember a decent performance against celtic at Easter road too, but then he's injured and out for a long time.

He must be worried about his future with so many long term ones.

Was speaking to him last night.

His injury is the same as he suffered the first time but on the other foot.

Could take three weeks or three months he says, just has to train as instructed.

Looks good FWIW.

Peevemor
07-09-2021, 01:12 PM
I thought he looked pretty good the few times that I've seen him play.

CMurdoch
07-09-2021, 02:20 PM

Could take three weeks or three months he says, just has to train as instructed.

Looks good FWIW.

Thanks Scoop.
If I remember correctly he tore the cartilage in his right ankle whilst at Dundee at the start of 2020 and didn't return to the Hibs team until almost 10 months later when he played in the League Cup against Forfar. Played against Dundee in the same competition in mid November.
Stayed in the team and played 2 league games. To my eyes he was looking the business, very strong and athletic.
From what you say he then tore the cartilage in his left ankle early in December 2020 and 9 months later he is still working hard with the physios and coaches to recover.
That is tough going. The only saving grace is he didn't injure the same ankle
His contract is up at the end of the season.
Hope he can get fit soon.
In a way nothing is lost given Doig is still at Hibs so no replacement has been signed so Sean could still be he guy.

Incidentally I noted last week that Lewis Vaughan of Raith Rovers has done his ACL for the 4th time!
Left knee twice and right knee twice at the age of 25 is brutal stuff.
Souter of Hearts has also had a hellish time with chronic injuries.

brog
07-09-2021, 09:30 PM
Sean is an excellent player and is an obvious replacement for Doig if/when he goes. I agree , we need an update on his fitness status.

Allez Hibs
08-09-2021, 07:57 AM
Was he not subbed at half time v Rangers in the 6-1 defeat there?
Generally liked the look of him but he hasn't developed in the last couple of years and with the emergence of Doig it must have been difficult for him.

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2021, 08:02 AM
Generally liked the look of him but he hasn't developed in the last couple of years and with the emergence of Doig it must have been difficult for him.
Sent off

J-C
08-09-2021, 08:02 AM

Heckingbottom seen him as a scapegoat for that disastrous game, he was quickly snubbed by the management and sent out to Dundee on loan, played decent there but has had really unfortunate injuries the last couple of years, has a sweet left peg and I always felt he could've developed into a decent left midfielder.

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2021, 08:07 AM
I like him

Good physical presence, decent engine and wand of a left foot

On going injury situation starting to be a concern

easty
08-09-2021, 08:40 AM
Heckingbottom seen him as a scapegoat for that disastrous game, he was quickly snubbed by the management and sent out to Dundee on loan, played decent there but has had really unfortunate injuries the last couple of years, has a sweet left peg and I always felt he could've developed into a decent left midfielder.

I don't think he was very good at Dundee at all - https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/sean-mackie-makes-dundee-shockers-19263158

I hope Mackie gets over his injury and gets regular football, but I don't think it'll be at Hibs. Other than a couple of moments in a couple of games, I don't think he's looked good enough for us.

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2021, 08:54 AM
I don't think he was very good at Dundee at all - https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/sean-mackie-makes-dundee-shockers-19263158

I hope Mackie gets over his injury and gets regular football, but I don't think it'll be at Hibs. Other than a couple of moments in a couple of games, I don't think he's looked good enough for us.
On the contrary considering he has only played for us 22 times including 11 as a sub

Has never let us down, never shat a tackle indeed I remember one sublime through ball to Flo in a 2-0 win over Celtic and a glorious cross to Daz to head the equaliser in a last minute 1-1 draw at Ibroke

Any Dundee fans I have spoken to were full of praise for the boy including their Manager James McPake

JR obviously sees something or he would have cut him loose at the first opportunity

Highwayman
08-09-2021, 09:16 AM

Looks good FWIW.
Hope for your sake you didn’t take the risk of talking to Sean Mackie outside a tall building.
Knowing Mackie luck,there was a chance a safe might fall on your heads.
Sean must be one of the unluckiest laddies ever to play for Hibs.
Thought he was getting somewhere in the games I saw him in last season but then he got injured again.
I like Sean but it has been almost a year he has been out injured and no indication when he will be back.
I look on Sean’s future at Hibs more in hope than expectation.

easty
08-09-2021, 09:56 AM
On the contrary considering he has only played for us 22 times including 11 as a sub

Has never let us down, never shat a tackle indeed I remember one sublime through ball to Flo in a 2-0 win over Celtic and a glorious cross to Daz to head the equaliser in a last minute 1-1 draw at Ibroke

Any Dundee fans I have spoken to were full of praise for the boy including their Manager James McPake

JR obviously sees something or he would have cut him loose at the first opportunity

The link I posted was in Mackies own words. The fans at Dundee were on getting on his back as he'd put in some "shockers" of performances.

He's got a contract to the end of the season, so how would/could JR have cut him loose?

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2021, 10:40 AM
The link I posted was in Mackies own words. The fans at Dundee were on getting on his back as he'd put in some "shockers" of performances.

He's got a contract to the end of the season, so how would/could JR have cut him loose?

Yeah he also goes on to say that it was a few dissenting voices and that the whole experience toughened him up and will stand him in good stead for the hecklers at Easter Road

He did make 13 appearances scoring one goal in Dundee’s promotion season during his three month stay there

I am sure that his Report Card from James McPake would have been more than satisfactory as I have never heard him say a bad word about him

Please also bear in mind that we are dealing with a 22 year laddie here and yes it is difficult for JR to cut loose a player that he inherited and always appears to be injured but it did not stop Ross playing him in five undefeated league games 13/10- 28/11/2020 including a Scottish Cup Semi Final before Mackie got himself injured again

I suppose my point is like Ross I am not prepared to throw him on the scrap heap just yet

You don’t rate him I do end of

ekhibee
08-09-2021, 10:59 AM
Yeah he also goes on to say that it was a few dissenting voices and that the whole experience toughened him up and will stand him in good stead for the hecklers at Easter Road

He did make 13 appearances scoring one goal in Dundee’s promotion season during his three month stay there

I am sure that his Report Card from James McPake would have been more than satisfactory as I have never heard him say a bad word about him

Please also bear in mind that we are dealing with a 22 year laddie here and yes it is difficult for JR to cut loose a player that he inherited and always appears to be injured but it did not stop Ross playing him in five undefeated league games 13/10- 28/11/2020 including a Scottish Cup Semi Final before Mackie got himself injured again

I suppose my point is like Ross I am not prepared to throw him on the scrap heap just yet

This.

Diclonius
08-09-2021, 11:01 AM
He's looked good, but at 22 his lack of first team experience will go against him and I suspect he'll be out the door when his contract's up, if not sooner.

May be worth sticking him on the wing once he returns, if Murphy's a long way off, and see how he does.

easty
08-09-2021, 11:50 AM

You’re making up an imaginary report card from James McPake, and then assuming Jack Ross wants to keep Mackie here, when he’s had a contract since before JR came here…so he’s had no choice but to keep him here, regardless of what he thinks of his ability.

I rate him. I think he can make a living out of football, but not at Hibs, he’ll not make it at our level. End of.

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2021, 12:14 PM
You’re making up an imaginary report card from James McPake, and then assuming Jack Ross wants to keep Mackie here, when he’s had a contract since before JR came here…so he’s had no choice but to keep him here, regardless of what he thinks of his ability.

I rate him. I think he can make a living out of football, but not at Hibs, he’ll not make it at our level. End of.
Nothing imaginary or made up at all

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/mcpake-keen-to-see-mackie-step-up-in-dee-chase/

Went straight into Jack Ross’ strongest starting line-up as soon as he was fit regardless of your mythical match reports from Dens

All I am saying is let’s give the guy a chance he has time on his side and loads of potential

bigwheel
08-09-2021, 12:22 PM
Nothing imaginary or made up at all

Went straight into Jack Ross’ strongest starting line-up as soon as he was fit regardless of your mythical match reports from Dens

All I am saying is let’s give the guy a chance he has time on his side and loads of potential

Don’t see Jack viewing him ahead of Lewis, let alone Doig …none of his selections have implied that - think he rates him, but with injuries and his lack of game time at 22 . I’d expect him to move on

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2021, 12:27 PM
Don’t see Jack viewing him ahead of Lewis, let alone Doig …none of his selections have implied that - think he rates him, but with injuries and his lack of game time at 22 . I’d expect him to move on
Yip probably needs to take his chance and make an impact this season

Unseen work
08-09-2021, 01:09 PM
For me Mackie is a really good young player with lots of potential. The only thing is he’s running out of times with injuries, but I’ve seen more than enough from him in under 21s and for the first team to think he’s good enough.

From about 19/20 he’s been built like a tank, he’s very good on the ball and has a wand of a left foot.

At the start of last season I was unconvinced by Doig, Mackie ended up taking his place and performed to a much higher level including games against Celtic. He then got injured, Doig came back in and in fairness to him improved massively and the rest of history - Doigs clearly the first choice left back and rightly so, he’s been brilliant and has loads of potential.

For is good as Doig is, his main strength is taking the team 50 yards up the pitch in one run but I still think he lacks a bit of quality on the ball in terms of his crossing and final ball. Some of his runs are outstanding but normally end in him cutting in on his right and releasing a tame shot or running it out of play. That’s not a knock on him but just where I see him improving.

Mackie has much better crossing and passing ability IMO and is still a powerful runner and has good dribbling. He struggled for a while under Hecky but so did everyone, to me it looked like he wasn’t sure of his role and was getting stuck between where he wanted to be and where he was meant to be.

If Mackie can get himself fit for me he is the perfect replacement for Doig rather than shelling out on someone new. When he first came in under Lennon I thought he was a really exciting player that would kick on.

He also went on loan to Dundee who we’re going for promotion, not a low level championship/league 1 team like most go on loan to.

Hopefully he makes a comeback and pushes on.

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2021, 01:19 PM
For me Mackie is a really good young player with lots of potential. The only thing is he’s running out of times with injuries, but I’ve seen more than enough from him in under 21s and for the first team to think he’s good enough.

From about 19/20 he’s been built like a tank, he’s very good on the ball and has a wand of a left foot.

At the start of last season I was unconvinced by Doig, Mackie ended up taking his place and performed to a much higher level including games against Celtic. He then got injured, Doig came back in and in fairness to him improved massively and the rest of history - Doigs clearly the first choice left back and rightly so, he’s been brilliant and has loads of potential.

For is good as Doig is, his main strength is taking the team 50 yards up the pitch in one run but I still think he lacks a bit of quality on the ball in terms of his crossing and final ball. Some of his runs are outstanding but normally end in him cutting in on his right and releasing a tame shot or running it out of play. That’s not a knock on him but just where I see him improving.

Mackie has much better crossing and passing ability IMO and is still a powerful runner and has good dribbling. He struggled for a while under Hecky but so did everyone, to me it looked like he wasn’t sure of his role and was getting stuck between where he wanted to be and where he was meant to be.

If Mackie can get himself fit for me he is the perfect replacement for Doig rather than shelling out on someone new. When he first came in under Lennon I thought he was a really exciting player that would kick on.

He also went on loan to Dundee who we’re going for promotion, not a low level championship/league 1 team like most go on loan to.

:top marks

Pretty much where I am

I was disappointed in Hecky as he came with this reputation of working with youngsters and giving Youth it’s chance - or so I was led to believe - instead he did diddly squat and threw Mackie under the nearest bus as soon as things started to go pear shaped

bigwheel
08-09-2021, 01:38 PM

Decent summary ..Sean’s biggest challenge seems to be getting and keeping himself fit . Since his injury when with Dundee a couple of seasons ago, he must had played in about 4-5 max first team games …if he gets himself fit, we can then see what he is made of .