PDA

View Full Version : Steve Archibald

Since452
14-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Played for Hibs just before my time but just how good was he for those that watched him? Was he a one man show in a poor side? Seems incredible that we signed a player from Barcelona who'd scored 24 goals in 55 games for them. It must have been seen as a major coup back then.

Hibs Class
14-04-2021, 02:28 PM
I'd never really rated him when he played for Scotland (but I wasn't even in my teens then so my appreciation of players was still limited!), so wasn't over-enthused when he joined us. But watching him for the full 90 made you realise just how good he was - excelled at the basics, could read the game well and his goal average with us was around 1 in 3 games. Looking at his career stats we were probably one of the last teams to get a good goal return out of him, albeit he maintained the same average when he left us for Espanyol.

BILLYHIBS
14-04-2021, 02:28 PM
Class act

It didn’t matter what situation he found himself in he always had space and time on the ball with complete awareness of what was happening round about him

His ability to kill the ball immediately be it chest foot or knee bought him complete control

I did not rate him until he came to HIBS

Jock Stein always had him as a first pick for Scotland but watching him close up he was quality and what a finisher able to strike the ball with either foot and good in the air

oneone73
14-04-2021, 02:29 PM
Didn't he choose us over Liverpool?

CJHibby
14-04-2021, 02:33 PM
Class act as said before.

Allez Hibs
14-04-2021, 02:37 PM
Played for Hibs just before my time but just how good was he for those that watched him? Was he a one man show in a poor side? Seems incredible that we signed a player from Barcelona who'd scored 24 goals in 55 games for them. It must have been seen as a major coup back then.

And beat Liverpool to sign him.

MrSmith
14-04-2021, 02:38 PM
As BILLYHIBS says, 100% real deal class act footballer 🙏

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-04-2021, 02:42 PM
As a forward, his ,movement and positional sense was fantastic. That goal at Tynie will be long remembered.

04Sauzee
14-04-2021, 02:44 PM
I was quite young when he signed for Hibs and although he had played for Aberdeen, Spurs, Barcelona and Scotland I hadn't seen much of him or paid much attention to him,but what a player. Was one step ahead of everyone else, still cant believe how good he was or that we had him.

Iggy Pope
14-04-2021, 02:45 PM
Not close to being fit on arrival but didn’t take long. Drove us on to Europe but it was over far too quickly and then we had other things to worry about.

Greenbeard
14-04-2021, 02:45 PM
Class act as said before.
Off the pitch too. Got intro'd to him via a mutual friend ahead of a business trip to Barcelona and he picked me and my colleague up, showed us around and took us to one of his favourite restaurants for lunch (which we paid for) and back to the airport. Nearly twenty years ago now after the Airdrie hoo-ha, but he was clearly revered still as an ex-Barca player given the number of folk who came to shake his hand. A gent.

wandering_hibee
14-04-2021, 02:47 PM
Like others I thought that he was over-rated before he joined but once I saw him that changed. He simply oozed class, always had space to do what he wanted and always seemed to pick the right option. I've seen some great Hibs players since the early/mid 60's but he was right up there with the very best.

Onion
14-04-2021, 02:49 PM
Also wasn't sure about him when he signed for us, but was a class above everyone else at the club. Great footballer.

Hillsidehibby
14-04-2021, 03:08 PM
Apart from the goal at Tynecastle I remember him beating a full back, hitting the bye line and putting in a peach of a cross to the back post but no one there to get on the end of it.

Does the same thing a second time, same outcome. Does it a third time and puts in a peach of a cross to the back post. Gareth Evans goes near post.

He just shook his head.

AllyT
14-04-2021, 03:11 PM
As a forward, his ,movement and positional sense was fantastic. That goal at Tynie will be long remembered.

I remember it well, I had to stand in the Hearts end as my brother-in-law was a Jambo. Couldn't even celebrate it, especially after he started telling everyone I was a Hibbee!

Phil MaGlass
14-04-2021, 03:15 PM
I was just out of the army in Sept 88, just in time for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqFqi-RAzWU

whit a player.

weecounty hibby
14-04-2021, 03:19 PM
100% Rolls Royce of a player. An unbelievable signing from Barcelona and Liverpool were also interested so that shows how good he was. Very intelligent player who made the right runs, passes etc at the right time almost every time. Would have loved to have seen him play for us in a better team. Total class act, he was class, first class and Hibs class all rolled into one

Roxyhibee
14-04-2021, 03:38 PM
Such an incredible reader of the game, bought himself 2/3 seconds of time outthinking the likes of MacPherson and when he got it, was a huge goal threat either by teeing himself up or bringing other players into the game.

Was also tremendous bringing our younger players into the game like Collins, Kane and brought a confidence to older players. Superb footballer.

BroxburnHibee
14-04-2021, 03:42 PM
Like most of us I never thought much of him but my god when you saw him and his sublime first touch you just knew he was a class act.

Tynie goal apart his performance when we ripped Celtic apart in a 3-1 humping was just a joy to watch.

Fabulous player

Frazerbob
14-04-2021, 04:00 PM
Like most of us I never thought much of him but my god when you saw him and his sublime first touch you just knew he was a class act.

Tynie goal apart his performance when we ripped Celtic apart in a 3-1 humping was just a joy to watch.

Fabulous player

My recollection was that most folk were a bit underwhelmed, to say the least, when he signed. He did not have a great reputation amongst Scottish fans if the truth be told. Quite incredible thinking back now. We were signing the current Barcelona number 9, who was replaced by Gary Lineker FFS. It didn’t take long for us all to appreciate his talent tho. A real class act, even if his attitude was sometimes not exactly what you’d expect from such a player. He also left under a bit of a cloud IIRC after a few run ins with Alex Miller. Was there not a story of him storming out of Love Street in a huff before one game?

Judging by his social media comments, he looks back on his time with us very fondly, especially THAT goal at Tynie.

Greenbeard
14-04-2021, 04:10 PM
Recent article
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/26/steve-archibald-barcelona-tottenham-terry-venables-diego-maradona-scotland

WoreTheGreen
14-04-2021, 04:22 PM
100% Rolls Royce of a player. An unbelievable signing from Barcelona and Liverpool were also interested so that shows how good he was. Very intelligent player who made the right runs, passes etc at the right time almost every time. Would have loved to have seen him play for us in a better team. Total class act, he was class, first class and Hibs class all rolled into one

Funny enough he served his time with R R and went on to own one

O'Rourke3
14-04-2021, 04:31 PM
I always knew he could poach but put his talent down to others putting it on a plate. Strachan at Aberdeen being a great example. What a player he turned out to be. Others have specified everything he could do, which was never obvious performing for Scotland. A joy to watch him from the terraces esp against Hearts.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

matty_f
14-04-2021, 04:36 PM
I was young when he signed but i got taken to his debut and saw him play after that, and always thought he was a class act, a very, very good player.

degenerated
14-04-2021, 04:37 PM
Never thought that highly of him before he came to us. Too young to remember him at Aberdeen and don't recollect seeing much, or any, of him at spurs or Barcelona. I just remember seeing him for Scotland.
How wrong I was, such an intelligent player who oozed class. It sometimes looked like he was playing a different game from everyone else on the pitch. His goal at Tynecastle was sublime and the image of him arms aloft is etched in my mind.
Truly a class football player.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

Since452
14-04-2021, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like he was a fantastic player.

Lago
14-04-2021, 04:42 PM
He was brilliant, simple as that. I'm afraid the days seeing a player like tha now at ER are long gone.

The Baldmans Comb
14-04-2021, 04:52 PM
I remember his signing very well and the quite ridiculous chat and thought process from other Hibs fans that he might not be all that good.

He had banged in the goals for 3 years at Aberdeen winning a hatful of trophys, more than proved himself in England winning the UEFA cup with Tottenham and had reached the European Cup Final (Champions League) with Barca when they bottled all the penalties.

My thoughts were why he is signing for Hibs and I couldn't wait to see him play.

His first touch was a home game in the league cup against lower league opposition and he killed a rubbish pass instantly then found his man and made space for the return ball.

Immediately you saw that this was a class striker who could think and move and score goals.

To this day very few Scottish players succeed in Europe, Lambert, McLeod and Archibald and the list peters out after that.

Class footballer and by all accounts a class guy as well who has so much time for the supporters of Hibs and all his former clubs.

loanheadhibby
14-04-2021, 04:59 PM
Absolute class act. He was miles better than anything I had watched previously at Easter Road. In my top 3 best ever Hibs players along with Goram and Sauzee. His goal at Tynie in the pouring rain was magical. The photo legendary.

tamig
14-04-2021, 05:15 PM
He was a fantastic player. First time I saw him was in the Aberdeen side that whipped us at ER to win the league. I knew he was destined for the top that day. When he later signed for us I thought he was here for a final pay day. The guy was amazing for us. His goal against hertz was worth whatever we were paying him alone. We had some decent players in that team and he brought Gareth Evans on a ton.

fiolex1
14-04-2021, 05:24 PM
Majestic player

Victor
14-04-2021, 05:31 PM
Brilliant player. As others have stated, having just seen him on televised matches, you could not appreciate how good he was until you saw him live. His vision and movement off the ball was something to behold. Unfortunately, he was about 10 moves ahead of his teammates!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
14-04-2021, 05:55 PM
Oozed class, brilliant footballer, we were very lucky to get him when we did, worth the money for that goal at the tynecastle alone.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
14-04-2021, 06:14 PM

whit a player.

That was a good watch.
First impressions:

You forget what a cowp the ground was. Ron Gordon would have run a mile in the opposite direction.
Hibs had Archibald, Collins and Goram starting whereas Celtic only had McStay, McAvennie and Walker. Advantage Hibs
The defending clearances were reckless but somehow we didn't lose goals to it.

Peevemor
14-04-2021, 06:30 PM
Apart from the stuff already mentioned, one thing Archibald gave us was an option for throw-ins. 9 times out of 10 he would shake off his marker and make a late run into space to receive the ball.

Kato
14-04-2021, 06:45 PM
That was a good watch.
First impressions:

You forget what a cowp the ground was. Ron Gordon would have run a mile in the opposite direction.
Hibs had Archibald, Collins and Goram starting whereas Celtic only had McStay, McAvennie and Walker. Advantage Hibs
The defending clearances were reckless but somehow we didn't lose goals to it.

Celtic's centenary year as well. :greengrin Great day.

My earliest memory of Archibald was when Aberdeen cuffed us 0-5 for Fergie's first title. Last day of the season. Archibald drifting in from the left, peppering the goal with long shots or providing clever lay-offs. He had some pace too, as a teenager.

Deeks always reminded me of him when he first appeared. Both had that aura of not trying too hard (deliberate and annoys the hell out of defenders) but both always had the necessary dig when required to find space, both had a lethal arsenal of finishes too..

kaimendhibs
14-04-2021, 06:45 PM
Brilliant classy player we were so priveleged to see in the green and white

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
14-04-2021, 06:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVEZPuqvrWs&ab_channel=johnsparky2

1-2 win against Hearts at Tynecastle
Archibald scores the winner in typical SA finish
First impressions.

Their ground is in a big a state as ours with big fences round the pitch.
The great tenement flats at the Gorgie Road end that gave the residents a free view.
Gordon Rae sent off in the 1st half for a horrendous tackle from the back on John Colquhoun
Archibalds magnificent winning goal.

He was a predator who would have been a sensation in the modern game.

Real Emerald
14-04-2021, 07:01 PM
I could never see what folk seen in him especially when he played for Scotland. However, he absolutely blew me away when he played for Hibs, he was always just in time and just onside to slot the ball away. Like others have said, standing on the Georgie Road terracing that day he scored and stood with his hands in the air will always be one of my all time great Hibs moments. GGTTH 🇳🇬

mjhibby
14-04-2021, 07:02 PM

First impressions.

The great tenement flats at the Gorgie Road end that gave the residents a free view.
Gordon Rae sent off in the 1st half for a horrendous tackle from the back on John Colquhoun

Indeed he would have. Took some hefty whacks. Just a superb footballer who was so far ahead of everybody else it the team. His touch, movement and finishing were sublime. Saw a documentary about him and in his time at Spurs he was devastating. Privileged we got to see him at er.

tamig
14-04-2021, 07:08 PM

First impressions.

Never a horrendous tackle in a million years 😀

MGmick
14-04-2021, 07:10 PM

whit a player.

Hugh Mitchell?

wookie70
14-04-2021, 07:26 PM

whit a player.
Archibald made the game look so simple. Brilliant player and still hard to believe we got the chance to watch him in a Hibs shirt. Watching that game reminded me why I hate Roy Aitken and how lucky we were to have those goalies. Quite a few players on the pitch that played for both clubs too.

erin go bragh
14-04-2021, 07:30 PM
Didn't he choose us over Liverpool?

Yes he did . Liverpool tried to gazump us but because Archibald had verbally agreed with us to sign, he knocked them back .
What a class player he was .

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-04-2021, 07:36 PM
I remember people slagging him for being lazy, the number of times he chased the ball and kept it in by a baw hair at the byeline more than made up for not wasting energy chasing balls he wasnt quite going to catch, it's probably called experience. Genius.

ancient hibee
14-04-2021, 07:44 PM
I remember being astonished at the time at the number of supporters who thought he wasn't our standard!(before he arrived)This was a guy who had played at top clubs with success. He made the game look effortless which many seemed to confuse with someone making no effort. He was always in the right place and never openly castigated colleagues for not being on the same wavelength. He realised that they just had never played at his level.He was in the same bracket as Franck Sauzee in coming to Hibs and living up to his reputation.

Fergos
14-04-2021, 07:45 PM
A graceful and great player. That goal at tinny castle...

.....and he appeared on the same episode of Top of the Pops. Twice. Fact.

GGTTH

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-04-2021, 07:49 PM
He was in the same bracket as Franck Sauzee in coming to Hibs and living up to his reputation.

Without a shadow of a doubt.

bigwheel
14-04-2021, 07:55 PM
Without a shadow of a doubt.

He had the option of going to Liverpool, but tells the story that he had already given his word to join us, so turned it down and kept his promise ...how cool is that ! What a player

Killiehibbie
14-04-2021, 07:55 PM
I thought he'd lost a leg or something when he signed for us but he still had it all.

Andy74
14-04-2021, 08:07 PM
I grew up just along from Wardie so spent the summer months watching Hibs training. Bizarre sight Archie turning up at Wardie in his Jag and his Roller. He used to park next to Mickey Weir’s yellow Vauxhall Nova.

Lovely guy and just a joy to watch. His technique and timing was top class.

IberianHibernian
14-04-2021, 08:27 PM
I remember being impressed by him when he played against us for Clyde . Just read that he returned to them near the end of his career . At Spurs he won a few trophies something recent talented team has been unable to do . I remember being at White Hart Lane when he scored a hattrick against an Irish team in about 1980 when working in London . At Barcelona , think there was one season when he was top scorer without penalties - he scored 15 , none penalties and top scorer had 21 but with 6 penalties . At that time Spanish clubs could only sign 2 then 3 non Spaniards and Barcelona had Maradona and Schuster plus Archibald . Barca got rid of Archibald and brought in Mark Hughes who was a complete failure and Lineker who did no better than Archibald .

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-04-2021, 08:28 PM
He had the option of going to Liverpool, but tells the story that he had already given his word to join us, so turned it down and kept his promise ...how cool is that ! What a player

Just shows he was a good judge of a club, Aberdeen, Spurs, Barca, meh! 😉

Waxy
15-04-2021, 07:12 AM
That goal at the gorgie road end is one of the all time great Hibs goals.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-04-2021, 08:01 AM
And people talk about Murphys first touch...

ajf
15-04-2021, 08:13 AM
Just shows he was a good judge of a club, Aberdeen, Spurs, Barca, meh! 😉

Did he not start at Clyde ,or is my memory playing tricks ?

Killiehibbie
15-04-2021, 08:33 AM
He did. He also had a trial for East Stirling, I wonder what went wrong there?

Crab apple
15-04-2021, 08:45 AM
Oozed class. Wish he’d been with us longer. I remember a game at Dens where it pissed down for the entire 90 minutes. And of course it was open terracing. Dundee went 1 up early on in what was a poor game. Late on a ball is played to Archie about 20 yards from goal. He takes one touch, turns his man and then a low driven shot gives us a scarcely deserved equaliser.

1 8 7 5
15-04-2021, 08:55 AM
Fabulous signing for us.

A classy footballer. Loved it when he signed. Real quality.

Stevie Reid
15-04-2021, 09:13 AM
I was 10 when he signed for us, and whilst I was incredibly excited about it at the time due to his reputation - and the goals he scored for us right from the off - it wasn't until a few years later, when I watched back old videos, that I truly appreciated what a superb footballer he was.

Had an air of Eric Cantona about him - never did any showboating, was just a step ahead of many others in the way that he found space and was so composed on the ball. Oozed class.

Remember him rattling the base of the post with a free kick in the last minute of a 1-1 draw with Hearts at ER, which I think would have stopped 22 in a row ever getting off the ground.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-04-2021, 09:50 AM

Should've included them cos of The Scottish Cup Final.

Baader
15-04-2021, 06:43 PM
Loved Archibald. Easily one of the best I've seen in green and white. As others rightly say, a class act and his footballing brain was on another level to most.

He's also good on Twitter, engages with fans and talks about his fond memories playing for us quite often...

WoreTheGreen
15-04-2021, 06:52 PM
EL rato blanklo

Malthibby
15-04-2021, 07:47 PM
If enough people say it it's like to be true - Knew he had a pedigree but I also didn't have any idea how good he was until I saw him actually playing at ER.
It's an odd thing trying to work out why a player like that is so good because so much of what he did was unfussed - he just knew where to be & when, & where
everyone was around him.
Just a great player.

jeffers
15-04-2021, 08:03 PM
Guy was a class act. Never forget his winner at Tynecastle. I have photos of the shot and his celebration framed and signed by the man himself. Imagine us bringing in a player of that quality and reputation nowadays, just wouldn’t happen.

basehibby
16-04-2021, 12:52 AM

It was never a one man team with the likes of Mikey Weir, John Collins, Kano and Pat McGinley in the team and with Goram between the sticks. But Archie was simply head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch at times and not just the Hibs side. He had an incredible first touch and simply oozed class - a real pleasure to watch :not worth:not worth:not worth ARCHIE-GOALS!

Hibernia&Alba
16-04-2021, 06:03 PM
When he left, it scunnered me as a kid. He instantly became my favourite player when he signed.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-04-2021, 06:07 PM
Get this thread bumped up above a threat about Harry blummin Cochrane and whether he could do a job for us!!!

Killiehibbie
16-04-2021, 06:25 PM
Get this thread bumped up above a threat about Harry blummin Cochrane and whether he could do a job for us!!!

Quite right

Viva_Palmeiras
16-04-2021, 07:09 PM
Singing in the rain at Tynie after that goal scored by Archie the Jinx Buster (anyone got the Hibs Monthly front page with him arms aloft?)

Come one seriously iconic player with iconic moments or a what appears
To be a Hearts reject?!!! Make the only choice peeps!

Bobo
16-04-2021, 09:07 PM
Singing in the rain at Tynie after that goal scored by Archie the Jinx Buster (anyone got the Hibs Monthly front page with him arms aloft?)

Got this one if it helps?

Skol
16-04-2021, 10:38 PM
Does anyone else remember the words to candle in the wind being reproduced in one of the fanzines as stranger on the wing

Goodbye stevie arch
Though I never knew you at all.

Standing there
Like a stranger on the wing.

BILLYHIBS
16-04-2021, 11:30 PM

whit a player.

His first goal for HIBS and that strip was a thing of beauty

Viva_Palmeiras
17-04-2021, 05:00 AM

That’s the one!

One Day
17-04-2021, 08:38 AM

Great photo

Frazerbob
17-04-2021, 02:55 PM

This is also the game where the entire Hibs support claimed they hugged Catherine Zeta Jones when celebrating Archie's goal, with her being a guest of big John Leslie in the Gorgie Road terrace :greengrin

Is It On....
17-04-2021, 04:23 PM

That goal, and the celebrations were unbelievable. I think for a goal there, only the celebrations of Paul Hanlon's equaliser would have come close since.

Peevemor
17-04-2021, 04:48 PM
That goal, and the celebrations were unbelievable. I think for a goal there, only the celebrations of Paul Hanlon's equaliser would have come close since.Garry O'Connor's late winner in the "we only need 10 men" Derby was also pretty mental.

Aldo
17-04-2021, 04:55 PM
This is also the game where the entire Hibs support claimed they hugged Catherine Zeta Jones when celebrating Archie's goal, with her being a guest of big John Leslie in the Gorgie Road terrace :greengrin

Archibald was an outstanding player when we signed him. He was on a totally different level imho. His movement and ability to find discs was superb.

His goal against Hearts at Tiny Park was unbelievable and when it hit the net the place went nuts.

That evening is the drunkest I have every seen my dad. Me, my 2 brothers and 4 mates celebrated with him until the following day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weegreenman
18-04-2021, 01:36 PM
He always looked like he had space and time on the ball. His control of the ball was second to none. An arrogant bugger of a man who’d turn up to matches on his own driving a brown Rolls Royce if memory serves but what a player he was.

The type you don’t mind paying to watch unlike some of the pretenders who masquerade as footballers nowadays!

Stevie Reid
18-04-2021, 11:27 PM
His first goal for HIBS and that strip was a thing of beauty

He scored two on his debut against Stranraer at ER. Strip is a peach though :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
19-04-2021, 12:01 AM
He scored two on his debut against Stranraer at ER. Strip is a peach though :greengrin
First League goal then :rolleyes:

theonlywayisup
19-04-2021, 06:30 AM
It might be difficult for the younger generation to understand the scale of the Archibald signing at the time. He was a player who was a very clever footballer, not your 30 goals a season player like Harry Kane, but still a very good striker.

He was very effective at Aberdeen, before an £800k move to Spurs, where he finished the top scorer in the First Division (now Premier League) and won the FA Cup in his first season there. He won a second FA Cup in 1982 and then the UEFA Cup in 1984, where he scored his penalty in the final as Spurs overcame Anderlecht in a shootout.

In 1984, he joined Barcelona for £1,150,000, where in his first season he helped them win the La Liga title for the first time in 11 years. He then helped Barça reach the European Cup final in 1986, only to lose on penalty kicks to Steaua Bucharest. He was a popular figure at the Camp Nou until restrictions on fielding foreign players led to him being excluded from the squad in favour of Gary Lineker and Mark Hughes. After a spell loaned out to Blackburn Rovers he returned to Scotland in 1988 to sign for Hibernian.

Think of it, playing a central role in the final of the major European trophy and then signed for Hibs two years later. He was an exceptional talent, albeit 32 when he joined us and his career was obviously on the way down.

Greenbeard
19-04-2021, 05:18 PM
It might be difficult for the younger generation to understand the scale of the Archibald signing at the time. He was a player who was a very clever footballer, not your 30 goals a season player like Harry Kane, but still a very good striker.

He was very effective at Aberdeen, before an £800k move to Spurs, where he finished the top scorer in the First Division (now Premier League) and won the FA Cup in his first season there. He won a second FA Cup in 1982 and then the UEFA Cup in 1984, where he scored his penalty in the final as Spurs overcame Anderlecht in a shootout.

In 1984, he joined Barcelona for £1,150,000, where in his first season he helped them win the La Liga title for the first time in 11 years. He then helped Barça reach the European Cup final in 1986, only to lose on penalty kicks to Steaua Bucharest. He was a popular figure at the Camp Nou until restrictions on fielding foreign players led to him being excluded from the squad in favour of Gary Lineker and Mark Hughes. After a spell loaned out to Blackburn Rovers he returned to Scotland in 1988 to sign for Hibernian.

Think of it, playing a central role in the final of the major European trophy and then signed for Hibs two years later. He was an exceptional talent, albeit 32 when he joined us and his career was obviously on the way down.
And his success at Barca was all the more remarkable given the shoes he was signed to fill. Maradona's.

Cardinal Hibernian
19-04-2021, 05:22 PM
First League goal then :rolleyes:Fairly sure he scored in a 1 nil win midweek game at Love Street in mid September 1988 which was a good couple of weeks before the Celtc game.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
19-04-2021, 05:28 PM
Fairly sure he scored in a 1 nil win midweek game at Love Street in mid September 1988 which was a good couple of weeks before the Celtc game.

Nope

Gareth Evans

I know the game you mean though best performance I have ever seen from a goalkeeper

Andy Goram was totally outstanding on a stormy windswept night at Love Street

Steve Archibald played his part in holding up the ball and retaining possession as the Saintees pumelled us

Hibiza
19-04-2021, 05:42 PM
Funny enough he served his time with R R and went on to own one

Brought his Rolls Royce to the games.

thebausburst
19-04-2021, 07:47 PM
The type of signing we just don’t make anymore, was so excited when he signed and was at Tynie for THAT GOAL.

Cardinal Hibernian
19-04-2021, 08:12 PM
Nope

Gareth Evans

I know the game you mean though best performance I have ever seen from a goalkeeper

Andy Goram was totally outstanding on a stormy windswept night at Love Street

Steve Archibald played his part in holding up the ball and retaining possession as the Saintees pumelled usThanks BILLYHIBS. Memory cells are starting to evaporate. Thanks for reminding me about the weather and the performance. All I can mainly remember from that game is being in sheer pain from twisting my ankle chronically on the the crap Love Street terracing and somehow managing to hobble to Gilmour Street station to catch the last train.

BILLYHIBS
19-04-2021, 08:15 PM
Thanks BILLYHIBS. Memory cells are starting to evaporate. Thanks for reminding me about the weather and the performance. All I can mainly remember from that game is being in sheer pain from twisting my ankle chronically on the the crap Love Street terracing and somehow managing to hobble to Gilmour Street station to catch the last train.

👍🏿

Cardinal Hibernian
19-04-2021, 08:28 PM
[emoji1531]Thinking back now I twisted it celebrating when we scored which was about 15 - 20 minutes into the game? Again, thanks for the 'nice' but painful memories.