PDA

View Full Version : David Murphy's first touch

Hibs90
13-04-2021, 06:46 PM
Anyone got any clips of the above?

Showing a friend who wasn't aware. Cheers!

Since452
13-04-2021, 06:49 PM
Sublime

madabouthibs
13-04-2021, 07:23 PM
Used to love watching Murph pull a 60 yard Caldwell diagonal ping out the air and drop it at his feet. 👍

calumhibee1
13-04-2021, 07:26 PM
Anyone got any clips of the above?

Showing a friend who wasn't aware. Cheers!

Strangely enough, I tried looking the other month but couldn’t find it - there used to be a video of him taking a ball out the sky in front of the old east stand and megging someone, and it was clearly deliberate.

Incredible touch.

kaimendhibs
13-04-2021, 07:37 PM
Best first touch of any Hibee I have seen.
But,
Lewis is sublime too

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
13-04-2021, 08:33 PM
It was so soft and imperceptible, tv cameras couldn’t pick it up. So there’s never any footage :agree:

hibbysam
13-04-2021, 09:01 PM
The way he kept his width regardless of where the ball was, which gave our team the switch from the right, knowing his first touch would be on point every time. Sublime.

Nicho87
13-04-2021, 09:03 PM
Vastly under rated by Scottish football purely cause he didn’t play for the uglies.

Always thought he looked a tad overweight - but he was simply sublime.

He made uli laursen look like an amateur.

Just_Jimmy
13-04-2021, 09:25 PM
I spoke to a coach at Celtic at the time, who told me Hibs were so hard to play against because Murphy and whitty gave us such width and overlap.

he said they considered Murphy our best player despite everything we had back then.

then the following week he scored that goal against them.

he was poetry in motion.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
13-04-2021, 10:40 PM
I remember one first touch in particular - when he nipped in to steal a pass by a Rangers (as they were known back then) player and deliver a wonderful ball to Ivan Sproule for the first goal in his hat trick :greengrin

superfurryhibby
13-04-2021, 10:47 PM
The only thing Murphy lacked was a burst of pace. Brilliant first touch, great engine and a strong tackler.

TelaStella
13-04-2021, 10:50 PM
Best player in the world. Best retired one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldbutdim
13-04-2021, 11:08 PM
I spoke to a coach at Celtic at the time, who told me Hibs were so hard to play against because Murphy and whitty gave us such width and overlap.

he said they considered Murphy our best player despite everything we had back then.

then the following week he scored that goal against them.

he was poetry in motion.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I was in hospitality that day.
Murphy was 50-1 to score the first goal.

The looks we got when the girl brought the winnings to our table....

Since452
14-04-2021, 05:54 AM
Delighted he left Hibs with a winners medal. A player of genuine quality. Such a pity he had to retire early through injury.

lyonhibs
14-04-2021, 06:23 AM
Absolute Rolls Royce of a player, glided about the pitch and had a foot like a traction engine when necessary, specifically at Celtic Park.

BILLYHIBS
14-04-2021, 08:27 AM
NHC: The legendary first touch appears 0.35

https://youtu.be/4V3WkZh9HKs

FilipinoHibs
14-04-2021, 08:59 AM
Somebody said this already but SUBLIME.

RossScott1991
14-04-2021, 09:05 AM
His goal v st johnstone at tynie always sticks out, sure a streaker ran on the pitch that night shortly after the goal

patlowe
14-04-2021, 09:05 AM
One of the greatest first touches I've ever seen was actually a pass to David Murphy. I think it was a comfortable away win at Dunfermline - a ball came down from the sky and Zemmama backheeled it first time on the bounce behind the opposing defender and into Murphy's pass for a cross. Utterly glorious. Can anyone else remember it?

calumhibee1
14-04-2021, 09:32 AM
One of the greatest first touches I've ever seen was actually a pass to David Murphy. I think it was a comfortable away win at Dunfermline - a ball came down from the sky and Zemmama backheeled it first time on the bounce behind the opposing defender and into Murphy's pass for a cross. Utterly glorious. Can anyone else remember it?

https://youtu.be/QBXIYUmOCiw

1 min 26.

Pass was from Martis, flick from Zemmama, cross from Murphy.

Champagne football.

patlowe
14-04-2021, 09:42 AM

1 min 26.

Champagne football.

Ta! Genius.

CockneyRebel
14-04-2021, 10:08 AM

1 min 26.

Champagne football.

Link not linking.

MinceAndTatties
14-04-2021, 10:33 AM
Best ever Hibs left back? I can go back as far as Joe Davis and Erich Schaedler. Although great going forward, I never saw any winger give him trouble except Chris Burke who was very quick in those days.

Iggy Pope
14-04-2021, 02:04 PM
I got in the lift with him in Dauguvpils and I’m not ashamed to say I peed my pants before Mrs Pope did.

calumhibee1
14-04-2021, 02:19 PM
Link not linking.

I knew that when I posted it but I don’t have a clue how to fix it :greengrin

Eyrie
14-04-2021, 07:02 PM
I knew that when I posted it but I don’t have a clue how to fix it :greengrin

That back heel was well worth the effort of copying and pasting for me :thumbsup:

Mick O'Rourke
14-04-2021, 07:28 PM
Best ever Hibs left back? I can go back as far as Joe Davis and Erich Schaedler. Although great going forward, I never saw any winger give him trouble except Chris Burke who was very quick in those days.

North of Ireland player John Parke (1963) was very good,but did not stay with us long.

"I had three and a half years at Hibs,and they were the happiest times of my life"
David Murphy

Media interview in Dec.2016

Billy Whizz
14-04-2021, 07:30 PM
North of Ireland player John Parke (1963) was very good,but did not stay with us too long.

"I had three and a half years at Hibs,and they were the happiest times of my life"
David Murphy

Media interview in Dec.2016

It’s always lovely to read things like this, Mick

Mick O'Rourke
14-04-2021, 07:37 PM
It’s always lovely to read things like this, Mick

David played for his boyhood heroes, Middlesborough .yet said Hibs topped that!!

Reading David's comments on his time at Hibs ,had me thinking ,that over the years, i can't think of a player who left us ,and said any thing sour or negative about their time/ experience at Hibs.

Am sure there must have been ,and i dont count Flo !!!

Billy Whizz
14-04-2021, 07:41 PM
Reading David's comments on his time at Hibs ,had me thinking ,that over the years, i can't think of a player who left us ,and said any thing sour or negative about their time/ experience at Hibs.

Am sure there must have been ,and i dont count Flo !!!

Absolutely. His post match interview on the pitch at Hampden after the 5-1 v Killie was pure class

Guys like him and Rob Jones from that team, really got Hibs. Hence why both are regular visitors to ER

Mick O'Rourke
14-04-2021, 07:49 PM
Absolutely. His post match interview on the pitch at Hampden after the 5-1 v Killie was pure class

Guys like him and Rob Jones from that team, really got Hibs. Hence why both are regular visitors to ER
Thats brilliant that
(coming back to ER)

Oh aye
The Hampden interview "50.000 Hibees" i
think he said.
Wisnae far away, right enough.
37.000 plus tickets sold i think for that Final.

Paul1642
14-04-2021, 07:52 PM
One of my all time favourites. Really took him for granted due to the whole team being really good at that time (minus GK). Had he not suffered injury’s he was English Premiership material IMO.

Roxyhibee
14-04-2021, 07:59 PM
I just missed John Parke but still hear guys a few years older than me saying he was excellent, so Joe Davis was the first LB I remember. Great player and skipper. Then Erich Schaedler - a true legend. Loved Ulrik Laursen too (who like Murphy said he’d fallen in love with Hibs) - guy was a class player. But I have to say David Murphy had everything - a fantastic player and the best Hibs LB I’ve seen.

ErinGoBraghHFC
14-04-2021, 08:12 PM
Quality player and a quality guy. Met him a few times and always up for a chat, hero imo

calumhibee1
14-04-2021, 08:25 PM
One of my all time favourites. Really took him for granted due to the whole team being really good at that time (minus GK). Had he not suffered injury’s he was English Premiership material IMO.

Absolutely. Without injuries he would have walked the EPL.

Hearts had Fyssas at the time who had just won the Euros. He was undoubtedly a good player, but not at Murphys level and that says a lot.

Since452
14-04-2021, 08:42 PM
Thats brilliant that
(coming back to ER)

Oh aye
The Hampden interview "50.000 Hibees" i
think he said.
Wisnae far away, right enough.
37.000 plus tickets sold i think for that Final.

I go national team

yerauldda
14-04-2021, 10:34 PM
The biggest compliment I can give him is that as a 10 year old right footed boy, he was the player I wanted on the back of my strip. In a team full of attacking talent that says a lot.

Phenomenal player and so unlucky with injuries after leaving Hibs.

Sweet Left Peg
15-04-2021, 08:09 AM
Sweet Left Peg