PDA

View Full Version : Ethan Laidlaw

sleeping giant
11-04-2021, 01:12 PM
16 years old Striker on the bench today.

He must be absolutely buzzing.

Good luck to the boy.

Billy Whizz
11-04-2021, 01:17 PM
16 years old Striker on the bench today.

He must be absolutely buzzing.

Good luck to the boy.

Wonder if he scored for us on Thursday night, in the Elite League

sleeping giant
11-04-2021, 01:23 PM

I know nothing about him Billy.

Dream come true stuff.
I hope we are far enough in front so he gets on.

brog
11-04-2021, 04:20 PM

Believe he scored a pen, possibly 2 and/or a free kick. I think our goals were 2 pens and 2 free kicks. It's poor that there's no info on our site.

Torto7
11-04-2021, 05:30 PM
Wasn't he on trial at Wolves? He must be highly rated. I just googled and it was Leeds he was on trial with. I've just read he's due to go on trial with Man Utd this week. C

Perfectly Loud
11-04-2021, 07:28 PM
Great name. Sounds like he should be facing the Earps or Clantons at OK Corral.
Not many Ethans about. Greyskull is definitely No Country For Old Men.

bingo70
11-04-2021, 09:08 PM
Wasn't he on trial at Wolves? He must be highly rated. I just googled and it was Leeds he was on trial with. I've just read he's due to go on trial with Man Utd this week. C

https://twitter.com/leahsmith_/status/1381256863795326976?s=21

Yeah, going on trial with Man Utd for a week according to her.

Must have some potential. Really exciting to have a young prospect like that on our books, hope we get to see him before he moves on.

Scouse Hibee
12-04-2021, 01:08 PM

Excuse my ignorance but why are we allowing a player who recently signed as a pro with us to go for trials at other clubs?

Since90+2
12-04-2021, 01:16 PM
Excuse my ignorance but why are we allowing a player who recently signed as a pro with us to go for trials at other clubs?

Because if a club the size of Man Utd are impressed enough whilst they see him up close for a week we'll be getting a good whack of a transfer fee. And it's great experience for a kid that age to go down and train with a club like Man Utd.

Don't see any downside to it at all.

Ringothedog
12-04-2021, 02:21 PM

Because money talks and we don’t have much. Sad but true

Stuart93
12-04-2021, 02:45 PM
We may as well scrap our youth system if lads are being poached by big clubs down south before they’ve even broke into our first team.

Seems pointless bringing these lads up from youths for them to leave before they break through, there’s little advantage for us apart from receiving a small fee compared to what could be a hefty fee if they turned out to be good for us/the first team.

When was the last time we brought through a young lad in our own academy and sold them on for a good fee?

If all of the “good” players are poached by teams down south what are we left with?

Suppose it’s catch 22 really. Difficult to know what’s best for us as a club.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-04-2021, 03:07 PM
We may as well scrap our youth system if lads are being poached by big clubs down south before they’ve even broke into our first team.

Seems pointless bringing these lads up from youths for them to leave before they break through, there’s little advantage for us apart from receiving a small fee compared to what could be a hefty fee if they turned out to be good for us/the first team.

When was the last time we brought through a young lad in our own academy and sold them on for a good fee?

If all of the “good” players are poached by teams down south what are we left with?

Could be viewed as a compliment for the academy. If it needs to bring in some revenue this is could be viewed as one income stream?

This is of course on the other hand a flaw with the “conveyer belt” system. The easiest way to disrupt it... have other teams hoover up the talent before they get to the first team...

Surely either way you want to develop a well Renowned academy for attracting and developing talent (which includes coaching.

You could view this as a kinda secondary market. If these kids are talented enough and we can’t keep them - even if we attract them should we not get a wedge for our efforts?

Wonder the extend to which the stats and sports science contribute to attract interest...

The dalmeny
12-04-2021, 03:30 PM

I think this is a pretty poor point of view even putting aside the requirement to have an academy for participate in European competition.

If the lad's signed a contract then, I believe, and move is done under market value rather than compensation so there's the potential for some decent money.

You would be a pretty ***** person to prevent a laddie going on a trial with an EPL club (although you might want some control when he goes for trial), especially when there's no guarantee of anything coming from it. I could imagine a young player could become quite resentful might not encourage him to stay on when his contract is up. What we can offer is a potential for first team football, a 16yo isn't going to get near the Man Utd or Wolves first team.

It's also a big life event to move away from home a that age, yes some do it but there are loads who aren't ready for it.

Since90+2
12-04-2021, 03:32 PM
I think this is a pretty poor point of view even putting aside the requirement to have an academy for participate in European competition.

If the lad's signed a contract then, I believe, and move is done under market value rather than compensation so there's the potential for some decent money.

You would be a pretty ***** person to prevent a laddie going on a trial with an EPL club (although you might want some control when he goes for trial), especially when there's no guarantee of anything coming from it. I could imagine a young player could become quite resentful might not encourage him to stay on when his contract is up. What we can offer is a potential for first team football, a 16yo isn't going to get near the Man Utd or Wolves first team.

It's also a big life event to move away from home a that age, yes some do it but there are loads who aren't ready for it.

Totally agree. You can't prevent a boy at 16 the chance to go and sign for Manchester United.

They might not be the force they once were but they are still one of the biggest clubs in the world and the biggest in the UK.

fiolex1
12-04-2021, 03:41 PM

Difficult one tbh. How many young players have broke in to the 1st team and came to nothing and end up being freed. I think it is difficult to get the right balance. We are doing something right though, the very fact our junior and senior players are attracting attention. I would love these promising players to stay but we can’t compete for the money these guys are looking for and the further development opportunities.I guess we will see Hibs intent on who replaces Porteous,Nesbit and Doig but like you point out if we’re cashing in on the raw talent we won’t have players coming through the ranks to replace these guys.

calumhibee1
12-04-2021, 03:43 PM
Is this starting to happen more and more because of Brexit?

I presume a lot of these young boys are now being looked at because going and signing boys from abroad isn’t as easy an option anymore?

BoltonHibee
12-04-2021, 03:55 PM

I presume a lot of these young boys are now being looked at because going and signing boys from abroad isn’t as easy an option anymore?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
12-04-2021, 03:57 PM
Yes

Probably is worth considering how beneficial a full youth academy is in that case. We could start getting into the territory of never managing to have a proper good player see it all the way through to the first team.

The dalmeny
12-04-2021, 04:21 PM
Probably is worth considering how beneficial a full youth academy is in that case. We could start getting into the territory of never managing to have a proper good player see it all the way through to the first team.

What we're seeing here is folk only looking at it from the Club's viewpoint and not the player and the problem with a lot of football fans is they don't understand ITS JUST A JOB.

You do your apprenticeship somewhere you might stay on, you might go to a bigger company you might go to a smaller company you might go for somewhere more money you might go somewhere for less but better conditions.

If the main motivator is money (and you're good enough) its very unlikely the best players will stay at any Scottish club so you cut your cloth accordingly

green day
12-04-2021, 04:30 PM

Yes

I was wondering that myself - couldnt remember a season where potentially 3 youngsters left between Christmas and May for clubs down South, although I might be wrong?

Dont we need one for Euro qualification?

calumhibee1
12-04-2021, 04:35 PM
I was wondering that myself - couldnt remember a season where potentially 3 youngsters left between Christmas and May for clubs down South, although I might be wrong?

Dont we need one for Euro qualification?

We do, but I wonder how much of one we need?

Can we pack it in any younger than under 20s? Do we need to go down to under 12s etc?

calumhibee1
12-04-2021, 04:37 PM
What we're seeing here is folk only looking at it from the Club's viewpoint and not the player and the problem with a lot of football fans is they don't understand ITS JUST A JOB.

You do your apprenticeship somewhere you might stay on, you might go to a bigger company you might go to a smaller company you might go for somewhere more money you might go somewhere for less but better conditions.

If the main motivator is money (and you're good enough) its very unlikely the best players will stay at any Scottish club so you cut your cloth accordingly

Of course.

We invest significant sums of money into our youth team though. Our model relies on us having the odd player come out of it that we can sell for good money to keep it sustainable.

If the best we’re going to get is a few 100k before they’ve even made a first team appearance then I’d suggest we’re at the point where we’ll be throwing money away.

I have no issues with the young lads wanting to go but from the clubs point of view I’m not sure it makes a lot of sense going forward for us to invest large sums in players that won’t ever play first team for us and won’t generate big money if that’s the way it starts to go.

The dalmeny
12-04-2021, 05:10 PM
Of course.

We invest significant sums of money into our youth team though. Our model relies on us having the odd player come out of it that we can sell for good money to keep it sustainable.

If the best we’re going to get is a few 100k before they’ve even made a first team appearance then I’d suggest we’re at the point where we’ll be throwing money away.

I have no issues with the young lads wanting to go but from the clubs point of view I’m not sure it makes a lot of sense going forward for us to invest large sums in players that won’t ever play first team for us and won’t generate big money if that’s the way it starts to go.

Fair points but are we investing large sums of money on INDIVIDUAL players? Hasn't there just been one of the Dundee United youth players turned down a move down south because the opportunity for first team football was so much better up here? He gets experience becomes a better player and his value goes up ?

calumhibee1
12-04-2021, 05:29 PM
Fair points but are we investing large sums of money on INDIVIDUAL players? Hasn't there just been one of the Dundee United youth players turned down a move down south because the opportunity for first team football was so much better up here? He gets experience becomes a better player and his value goes up ?

I can’t remember the figures but I’m sure it’s a pretty reasonable sum we invest in the whole set up overall. Individually it’s maybe not huge sums but then you’ve got to remember that probably around 98% of the players we invest time and money in get released for nothing. The other 2% are the ones we’re looking for to make money to make it worth our while.

I’m sure Brentford down south sacked off their academy and spent the money on trying to recruit the best players dropping out the big teams academies because it was way more financially viable. They’re doing really well out of it.

Hibbyradge
12-04-2021, 06:44 PM

Not every player will be good enough to play for EPL or championship teams, but they might well be good enough to be successful in the SPFL.

Also, loads of players don't show their real ability until they're much older.

In the case of Ethan Laidlaw, I don't know how long a contract he signed, but it's unlikely to be more than a couple of years, if that, and it'll be for sweeties.

If he really is that good, he'll continue to hone his skills and just wait 18 months until he can sign a pre-contract elsewhere. If that happens, Hibs get the minimum development fee.

This way, it's a win win win.

andudare2
12-04-2021, 06:51 PM
Until the club deem it to be an unwarranted expense, something i would not hold my breath waiting on,then surely they are the best judges on this ?

SMAXXA
12-04-2021, 07:03 PM
Until the club deem it to be an unwarranted expense, something i would not hold my breath waiting on,then surely they are the best judges on this ?

Prize for most obvious post of the week 😂, course it is but doesn’t stop people debating the merits of it 🤷*♂️

Gaffer1875
12-04-2021, 07:04 PM
In my daughters year at school in prestonpans, wish him nothing but the best.

Stuart93
12-04-2021, 07:15 PM
Just want to say I wish the lad the best whatever he ends up doing, wouldn’t blame the lad or any young player for jumping at the opportunity to play down south.

Would be a shame for him or any of them to disappear into english footballing abyss.

Just seen the post above and the fact he’s a panner makes me wish nothing but the worst for him 😁

calumhibee1
12-04-2021, 07:32 PM

Well yes but if that’s the criteria for whether something can be discussed then we’d be as well just shutting the forum down.

andudare2
12-04-2021, 07:57 PM
Prize for most obvious post of the week 😂, course it is but doesn’t stop people debating the merits of it 🤷*♂️Thats cool,bit patronising but cool,however perhaps you missed the fact that post was my part in the discussion.

CapitalGreen
12-04-2021, 08:37 PM
I can’t remember the figures but I’m sure it’s a pretty reasonable sum we invest in the whole set up overall. Individually it’s maybe not huge sums but then you’ve got to remember that probably around 98% of the players we invest time and money in get released for nothing. The other 2% are the ones we’re looking for to make money to make it worth our while.

I’m sure Brentford down south sacked off their academy and spent the money on trying to recruit the best players dropping out the big teams academies because it was way more financially viable. They’re doing really well out of it.

You’ve missed out the percentage of players that go on and contribute to the first team but don’t move on. Our squad on Sunday featured academy players who have played over 1000 games for Hibs combined. A typical signing for Hibs would probably spend on average say 2-3 years at the club? In Stevenson’s 15+ years at the club he’s probably saved us having to spend fees/sign on fees for about 7/8 players. You only need to look at how many left backs Hearts have signed in that time to see how valuable having had Stevenson has been. Ironically, probably Hearts best 2 left backs who bookended that period were both academy products (Wallace & Hickey).

andudare2
12-04-2021, 08:47 PM
Well yes but if that’s the criteria for whether something can be discussed then we’d be as well just shutting the forum down.
Surely the reason/ chances of Hibs not closing the Academy are part of discussion eg.the reason why they have one in the first place and what kind of alternative can be offered for them to close it.

Diclonius
12-04-2021, 08:49 PM
Christ. When I started following Hibs he was only just born.

hibee-boys
12-04-2021, 09:22 PM

I wish I was that old🤔😂

Hibee Ryan
13-04-2021, 12:22 AM
I think we'll start to see a lot of this over the next few years, with work permits supposedly harder to get for foreign imports the big English teams will have to look within the UK and if they buy this lad for 300k and he never makes an appearance then that's absolutely nothing to them but if they manage to get a first team player out of him then it is a bargain and they also have a player that counts towards home grown status. Speculate to accumulate basically.

Hope we get to see him play as he obviously has talent. Do we not have a young goalkeeper that has been away on trial as well?

HoboHarry
13-04-2021, 02:22 AM
Pffffttttt..... when I started supporting Hibs his granny might have been born......

calumhibee1
13-04-2021, 06:10 AM
You’ve missed out the percentage of players that go on and contribute to the first team but don’t move on. Our squad on Sunday featured academy players who have played over 1000 games for Hibs combined. A typical signing for Hibs would probably spend on average say 2-3 years at the club? In Stevenson’s 15+ years at the club he’s probably saved us having to spend fees/sign on fees for about 7/8 players. You only need to look at how many left backs Hearts have signed in that time to see how valuable having had Stevenson has been. Ironically, probably Hearts best 2 left backs who bookended that period were both academy products (Wallace & Hickey).

I didn’t miss them out. They’re part of the estimated 2%.

I don’t think 1 in 50 making a first team appearance will be too far off the mark, never mind becoming first team regulars/good enough to sell on.

Brightside
13-04-2021, 07:15 AM
A rethink of the Academy has been on the go for a long time. I wouldnt be surprised at all if we moved to only having 2 ages in there. A reserve level team (or all out on loan - as we do now), and a u15s level. I'm not even sure what the youngest age group is now in the academy. Build partnerships with the youth clubs in the city and bring them in at 14/15 to develop for either a move on and promotion to the first team squad.

Pagan Hibernia
13-04-2021, 07:27 AM
Of course.

a few hundred thousand pounds for a kid who’s never played a game for us? That sounds like a decent bit of business for the club in my opinion.

im just glad we’re even having these conversations. It’s no time at all since the main gripe on here was that the academy was producing nothing at all.

calumhibee1
13-04-2021, 07:32 AM
a few hundred thousand pounds for a kid who’s never played a game for us? That sounds like a decent bit of business for the club in my opinion.

im just glad we’re even having these conversations. It’s no time at all since the main gripe on here was that the academy was producing nothing at all.

It’s good business in some respects but if that’s what we’re getting for the very best ones then that’s a big drop from 1 or 2 million once they hit the first team and the use of them in the first team on top of that.

I’d suspect that Brightsides post may be the kind of approach we’ll take soon. Not a full youth academy but enough to satisfy uefa criteria and maybe get the odd player out of it still.

The dalmeny
13-04-2021, 08:11 AM
A rethink of the Academy has been on the go for a long time. I wouldnt be surprised at all if we moved to only having 2 ages in there. A reserve level team (or all out on loan - as we do now), and a u15s level. I'm not even sure what the youngest age group is now in the academy. Build partnerships with the youth clubs in the city and bring them in at 14/15 to develop for either a move on and promotion to the first team squad.

Is the 'reserve team' based around U18 to allow participation in that league? Where do your 14yo's go when they are 15? back to boys club or another elite academy?

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2021, 08:17 AM
It's quite sad to think we might not see a player who was with us as a youth player, play for us but make us some money at a further date.

Clubs in Scotland are slipping further and further down the food chain and we either dont want to do anything about it or cant.

I remember the days when we were sad/angry when a player left, now we are actively encouraging it because we might get a few million quid sometime in the future. :boo hoo:

Dmas
13-04-2021, 08:18 AM
I know a player who plays at a club up here and isn’t much older than Ethan, his contract is up in the summer and he is leaving for a bottom half EPL club on 4x the money he is getting here, he’s grown up a supporter of the club he’s leaving and his family have big ties to this club, but ‘the training is awful’ a certain coach ‘is a bully’ also he’s friends with a player who left for a European club which also turned his head once he’d heard the differences in training and lifestyle.

He’s leaving for free, no qualms and no cares, because he feels like he’s been wronged by the club, every player leaving us seems to be doing right by the club as much as possible at their age by making sure there’s at least a minimal fee, it’s rubbish we don’t get them into the first team but knowing the story of the other lad at least we’re doing something right the big teams won’t get them all (Doig being an example) just an unfortune part of the game now I think and it would be wrong of us to ditch the whole thing because a few have attracted bigger interest

Brightside
13-04-2021, 08:35 AM
Is the 'reserve team' based around U18 to allow participation in that league? Where do your 14yo's go when they are 15? back to boys club or another elite academy?

u15s includes kids who are 15 (2006 born?). If they arent good enough come 16 to move to the reserve or partner club level then they would move on. And I totally get we may lose a few who mature later but the vast majority show enough at 16 to decide on a pro deal.

CapitalGreen
13-04-2021, 09:28 AM
I didn’t miss them out. They’re part of the estimated 2%.

I don’t think 1 in 50 making a first team appearance will be too far off the mark, never mind becoming first team regulars/good enough to sell on.

Ok, my point though was that don’t need to make us money to make it worth our while if they are saving us money we would have otherwise spent on bring players into the club.

The other 2% are the ones we’re looking for to make money to make it worth our while.

calumhibee1
13-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Ok, my point though was that don’t need to make us money to make it worth our while if they are saving us money we would have otherwise spent on bring players into the club.

Apologies, I didn’t write everything that I had meant reading it back :greengrin

It’s absolutely still good news getting a Stevenson or a Hanlon into the team but I’m not sure that would cover the costs of the academy by not having to sign a player or two from elsewhere. Nor would the odd £150k fee for a 16 year old.

greenlex
13-04-2021, 02:50 PM
Special talent. Two footed, quick and a natural finisher. No wonder there’s interest from bigger clubs.

Tambo
13-04-2021, 03:53 PM
The boy must have talent if he had trials with Leeds and now Manchester United.

Wonder what happened with Leeds though? I hope we can work a deal out maybe a two year loan if he does move on as from
The sounds of him I want to see him play for the first team.

scoopyboy
13-04-2021, 04:37 PM
I know a player who plays at a club up here and isn’t much older than Ethan, his contract is up in the summer and he is leaving for a bottom half EPL club on 4x the money he is getting here, he’s grown up a supporter of the club he’s leaving and his family have big ties to this club, but ‘the training is awful’ a certain coach ‘is a bully’ also he’s friends with a player who left for a European club which also turned his head once he’d heard the differences in training and lifestyle.

He’s leaving for free, no qualms and no cares, because he feels like he’s been wronged by the club, every player leaving us seems to be doing right by the club as much as possible at their age by making sure there’s at least a minimal fee, it’s rubbish we don’t get them into the first team but knowing the story of the other lad at least we’re doing something right the big teams won’t get them all (Doig being an example) just an unfortune part of the game now I think and it would be wrong of us to ditch the whole thing because a few have attracted bigger interest

If he's not much older than Ethan would a Development fee not be due?

I thought you were describing Andy Irving but not so sure now.

superfurryhibby
13-04-2021, 04:40 PM
Do people think the pro youth system is producing a better quality of player on an overall basis in the Scottish game? My gut feeling is that laddies would better off playing boys clubs and not signing with pro teams until they reach 16.

Loads of guys I played with in Juvenile football signed for clubs (late 70's), some of them even made a name for themselves. The football was very good and there were some great coaches (my old coach Dougie Dalglish, despite being a Jambo through and through, always encouraged a sporting approach to playing football and was a decent guy).

Since90+2
13-04-2021, 04:41 PM

I doubt an English Premier League team would be interested in signing Andy Irving.

joebakerforever
13-04-2021, 04:43 PM
I really despair at the mentality of some on here inasmuch that as soon as an emerging talent appears at Hibs, they're more interested in to flogging him off asap, rather enjoying him playing and developing as player and probably appreciating in value over time.

It reminds of the Petrie era where he coined in the cash selling valuable assets and passed on the crumbs from the sales to recruit mediocre replacements :grr:

Hibbyradge
13-04-2021, 04:51 PM
I really despair at the mentality of some on here inasmuch that as soon as an emerging talent appears at Hibs, they're more interested in to flogging him off asap, rather enjoying him playing and developing as player and probably appreciating in value over time.

It reminds of the Petrie era where he coined in the cash selling valuable assets and passed on the crumbs from the sales to recruit mediocre replacements :grr:

How do we keep him if Man U or Leeds want him?

The dalmeny
13-04-2021, 04:57 PM

If he's out of contract he effectively is a free agent.

The dalmeny
13-04-2021, 04:59 PM
Do people think the pro youth system is producing a better quality of player on an overall basis in the Scottish game? My gut feeling is that laddies would better off playing boys clubs and not signing with pro teams until they reach 16.

I've always felt that too, I know a few boys who have just gone to/signed/trialled at clubs at 16 now.

Billy Whizz
13-04-2021, 05:01 PM

He only signed a contract in February

Northernhibee
13-04-2021, 05:07 PM

What if it means in this pandemic era that we can afford to keep Doig or Nisbet for longer?

The dalmeny
13-04-2021, 05:08 PM

Make it about him wanting to stay

andudare2
13-04-2021, 05:19 PM
u15s includes kids who are 15 (2006 born?). If they arent good enough come 16 to move to the reserve or partner club level then they would move on. And I totally get we may lose a few who mature later but the vast majority show enough at 16 to decide on a pro deal.your saying moves for changes to academy may well be correct, however to me it seems the age groups you mention seems guesses from you with no definate proof or if possible can you clarify that this is definitely happening Reason i ask is one of my grandsons plays for the 2006 squad and as of yet nothing to my knowledge has been said to them in regards to this.

Hibbyradge
13-04-2021, 05:22 PM
He only signed a contract in February

Yes, but how do we keep him after it runs out? Pointless if he signs a pre-contract in 16 months and just walks away when he's 18, assuming that it was a 2 year deal.

Hibbyradge
13-04-2021, 05:23 PM
Make it about him wanting to stay

Sounds good. How do we make him want to stay at Hibs if he's asked to go on trial at Man U?

Billy Whizz
13-04-2021, 05:26 PM
Sounds good. How do we make him want to stay at Hibs if he's asked to go on trial at Man U?

Has he?

Who’s running the academy now, after all the redundancies last year, I’m not sure who’s actually there now?
Eddie May?
Gareth Evans?
Colin Nish?

The Modfather
13-04-2021, 05:30 PM

To be honest I wouldn’t begrudge him choosing someone like Man U at his age even if the chances are he’ll never make it there. Might never get a chance like that again.

I’d sell him the same vision we did with Porteous when Celtc wanted him. Give him a clear plan to fast track his development into the first team over the next few years. Try to convince him he’ll develop more playing football here and point to McGinns path that Hibs are a good fit for developing and getting your big move when the time is right.

andudare2
13-04-2021, 05:31 PM
Has he?

Who’s running the academy now, after all the redundancies last year, I’m not sure who’s actually there now?
Eddie May?
Gareth Evans?
Colin Nish?think those 3 are still there,big Nish definitely is as he takes the 2006 squad, seemingly a very good coach.

Hibbyradge
13-04-2021, 05:32 PM
Has he?

Eddie May?
Gareth Evans?
Colin Nish?

I assume he wasn't forced to go to Leeds. Same would apply if the MU story is correct.

I don't know who's coaching.

If he's a good player, I'd love to keep him, but it's very difficult to do that when other clubs are on the horizon.

Given that he was on the bench on Sunday, maybe he's been promised first team games in an attempt to get him to stay. :dunno:

He must be a bit special to attract all that interest, for sure. I hope we get to see him play for us.

Billy Whizz
13-04-2021, 05:42 PM
I assume he wasn't forced to go to Leeds. Same would apply if the MU story is correct.

I don't know who's coaching.

If he's a good player, I'd love to keep him, but it's very difficult to do that when other clubs are on the horizon.

Given that he was on the bench on Sunday, maybe he's been promised first team games in an attempt to get him to stay. :dunno:

He must be a bit special to attract all that interest, for sure. I hope we get to see him play for us.

I think we just need to understand who’s calling the shots here, hopefully there’s not a pushy agent driving all this

The dalmeny
13-04-2021, 06:01 PM

let him go on the trial for starters, no obstructions. Denying him this will just f him off. The main thing would be game time, would he be one of 4 or 5 players in his position there but maybe only 2 here. Get him involved with the first team. The he big thing his he will still be at home, moving away isn’t for everyone especially at 16

Hibbyradge
13-04-2021, 07:57 PM
let him go on the trial for starters, no obstructions. Denying him this will just f him off. The main thing would be game time, would he be one of 4 or 5 players in his position there but maybe only 2 here. Get him involved with the first team. The he big thing his he will still be at home, moving away isn’t for everyone especially at 16

I agree. That's would give us the best chance of keeping him.

It also makes him more valuable if he's had games for the first team.

McD
13-04-2021, 08:04 PM

hickey was the one who went through my head about going to a European club, not sure if there’s other hearts youngsters out of contract