PDA

View Full Version : No fans for Scottish Cup Final

hibby6270
08-04-2021, 03:21 PM
Just announced.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56675812

SteveHFC
08-04-2021, 03:23 PM
Would be moving the final to Murrayfield if so.

Pagan Hibernia
08-04-2021, 03:25 PM
Awk well, who really wants to win it in an empty stadium anyway :greengrin

Perfectly Loud
08-04-2021, 03:25 PM
Just announced.

But we can give UEFA a guarantee about fans in Hampden two weeks later. Magic and comedy in the same stroke. Jerry Sadowitz should've gone in to politics.

hibby6270
08-04-2021, 03:27 PM
Would be moving the final to Murrayfield if so.

That will only happen if the Jambos reach this years final.

Oh wait......!!! :greengrin:wink:

lord bunberry
08-04-2021, 03:30 PM
I’m guessing no fans were going to be allowed in anyway. If there’s any chance of fans being allowed in they should move it to another venue.

Keith_M
08-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Just announced.

So they're going to play a Cup Final in front of no fans purely because they're preparing the stadium for the Euros?

If that's the case, it's bl**dy ridiculous.

Allez Hibs
08-04-2021, 03:32 PM
Common sense and Scottish Football just don't go together. Absolutely ridiculous.

Keith_M
08-04-2021, 03:34 PM
Common sense and Scottish Football just don't go together. Absolutely ridiculous.

:agree:

Billy Whizz
08-04-2021, 03:34 PM
I’m surprised it’s getting played at Hampden anyway
UEFA can’t be happy, that the pitch is getting played on just before the euros

Keith_M
08-04-2021, 03:37 PM
I’m surprised it’s getting played at Hampden anyway
UEFA can’t be happy, that the pitch is getting played on just before the euros

Cup final is 22nd May and first Euros game is (I think) 14th June.

Three weeks for the pitch to recover,

Hibbyradge
08-04-2021, 03:38 PM

It's not the fault of the Scottish authorities.

JohnMcM
08-04-2021, 03:40 PM

Then it must be,,,,,,,,,, (drum roll) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, PETRIE :grr:

Ta da!

Allez Hibs
08-04-2021, 03:40 PM

It is - they would have known that UEFA have the policy of essentially taking over control of the stadium before a tournament finals or a European final.

I'm sure the FA Cup final Wigan won in 2013 was played at the start of May to accommodate the Champions League Final being played at Wembley, Bayern v Dortmund.

Lendo
08-04-2021, 03:46 PM
There was always going to be a cut off from not allowing fan in to stadiums to then allowing them in. I don't see the problem with drawing a line under it after the final game of the 20/21 footballing year.

Things might have been different had the Old Firm fans been able to prove themselves to be trustworthy in the last twelve months, they haven’t . No guarantees Rangers or Celtic will get to the final but you can bet your bottom dollar that it factored in to the decision making.

Damned if do and damned if they don’t.

Billy Whizz
08-04-2021, 03:49 PM
Cup final is 22nd May and first Euros game is (I think) 14th June.

Three weeks for the pitch to recover,

I get that, but cup final was due to be played initially on the 8th May, to give the pitch time to be prepared

CropleyWasGod
08-04-2021, 03:54 PM
There was always going to be a cut off from not allowing fan in to stadiums to then allowing them in. I don't see the problem with drawing a line under it after the final game of the 20/21 footballing year.

Things might have been different had the Old Firm fans been able to prove themselves to be trustworthy in the last twelve months, they haven’t . No guarantees Rangers or Celtic will get to the final but you can bet your bottom dollar that it factored in to the decision making.

Damned if do and damned if they don’t.

Agreed.

I also think there has been some horse-trading here between the SFA and the SG. "Yes, you can have the Euros, but only if....."

CentreLine
08-04-2021, 04:12 PM
Beat the The Rangers in the final and they would have to look hard for an excuse for not going up for their losers medals.

JimBHibees
08-04-2021, 04:15 PM
Agreed.

I also think there has been some horse-trading here between the SFA and the SG. "Yes, you can have the Euros, but only if....."

Undoubtedly also the last thing they would want is some sort of issue with fans prior to Euros.

No doubt influenced by the behaviour of Rangers fans after league win.

Sir David Gray
08-04-2021, 04:29 PM
It is nonsense that just because UEFA take control of the stadium from 14th May that means no fans can attend 8 days later but then a few weeks afterwards 12,000 can turn up.

If fans turning up for the final is realistic, now that Rangers are playing Celtic in the next round and at least one of them won't be getting to the final, we should be preparing Ibrox or Parkhead to hold the final (depending on whichever one gets knocked out) or even Murrayfield.

I'm certain that won't happen though.

Onion
08-04-2021, 04:37 PM
Cinemas, hotels, B&Bs will be open, weddings of up to 30 people allowed but absolutely no football fans allowed to sit socially distanced outdoors to watch a game in Scotland - makes perfect sense.

Pretty Boy
08-04-2021, 04:43 PM
When Glasgow hosted the Commonwealth Games did they not move the final?

Where there's a will, there's a way. I think we can conclude there was no real desire to have fans at the cup final. Given what happened with Rangers fans, understandable or otherwise, I'm not all that surprised.

Billy Whizz
08-04-2021, 04:48 PM
When Glasgow hosted the Commonwealth Games did they not move the final?

Where there's a will, there's a way. I think we can conclude there was no real desire to have fans at the cup final. Given what happened with Rangers fans, understandable or otherwise, I'm not all that surprised.

It was played at Parkhead, St Johnstone played Dundee Utd and won 2-0
It’s not going to be an old firm final this year, so could be played anywhere

calumhibee1
08-04-2021, 04:50 PM
I’m going to hazard a guess the Scot Gov have given an indication they wouldn’t be allowing it.

Hibeesforever
08-04-2021, 04:52 PM
This SNP government have got this decision so wrong. There are less than 200 people in hospital in the whole of Scotland with Covid, the emergency is over for the wider population...fans should be back in grounds.

green day
08-04-2021, 04:53 PM
It is nonsense that just because UEFA take control of the stadium from 14th May that means no fans can attend 8 days later but then a few weeks afterwards 12,000 can turn up.

If fans turning up for the final is realistic, now that Rangers are playing Celtic in the next round and at least one of them won't be getting to the final, we should be preparing Ibrox or Parkhead to hold the final (depending on whichever one gets knocked out) or even Murrayfield.

I'm certain that won't happen though.

Agreed - if Queens Park hadnt pimped themselves to Willie Haughey then there might have been an option to have the national stadium and showcase games outside of Glasgow.

While holding it at Celtic Park or Ibrox would be the logical step, why would logic enter the equation?

eta - and obviously the behaviour of the Huns has been considered as well. Fannies.

Billy Whizz
08-04-2021, 04:54 PM
This SNP government have got this decision so wrong. There are less than 200 people in hospital in the whole of Scotland with Covid, the emergency is over for the wider population...fans should be back in grounds.

The crazy think is, you’ll be able to watch it in the pub from 17th May
What is healthier, at the game or in the pub?

SteveHFC
08-04-2021, 04:55 PM

There's no reasons why we can't have the majority of crowds back in stadiums by end of August.

Hibeesforever
08-04-2021, 04:57 PM

Hampden holds 52,000 not difficult to have half a capacity , I hope some politicians call the government out big time, they are too cautious...

PatHead
08-04-2021, 04:57 PM

It's not a Scottish Government decision though. The SFA have agreed with Uefa.

No need to bring politics into it.

Hibeesforever
08-04-2021, 04:59 PM
It's not a Scottish Government decision though. The SFA have agreed with Uefa.

No need to bring politics into it.

If you believe that the government are not at the heart of the decision, then you are mistaken.

Keith_M
08-04-2021, 05:00 PM
I get that, but cup final was due to be played initially on the 8th May, to give the pitch time to be prepared

Ah, OK, I didn't realise that.

:aok:

Billy Whizz
08-04-2021, 05:10 PM
Ah, OK, I didn't realise that.

:aok:

And you live across the road from Hampden😳

PatHead
08-04-2021, 05:11 PM
If you believe that the government are not at the heart of the decision, then you are mistaken.

What proof do you have of that other than the little pixies dancing around in your head telling you.

Doubtless the Scottish Government are pleased as it should reduce risk but any reports you read say clearly that it is Uefa saying Hampden cannot be used. SFA seems happy with that.

cabbageandribs1875
08-04-2021, 05:20 PM

sounds serious and you have a source, tell us more

Onion
08-04-2021, 05:26 PM

It's completely bonkers. You can stop folk going to the game, but if Hibs win the Cup there will be thousands heading down Easter Road to welcome the team back or just to celebrate. How will they prevent that ?

Onion
08-04-2021, 05:31 PM
What proof do you have of that other than the little pixies dancing around in your head telling you.

Doubtless the Scottish Government are pleased as it should reduce risk but any reports you read say clearly that it is Uefa saying Hampden cannot be used. SFA seems happy with that.

One of the OF will get dumped out of the Cup next round. If the other Bigot fails to get to the final, they should just move it to another ground where some fans can watch it. MUCh more meaningful and important than playing it in an empty, dilapidated ground in Glasgow.

bod
08-04-2021, 05:39 PM
It's completely bonkers. You can stop folk going to the game, but if Hibs win the Cup there will be thousands heading down Easter Road to welcome the team back or just to celebrate. How will they prevent that ?
They could prevent that by asking the team not to return to Edinburgh

PatHead
08-04-2021, 05:40 PM
One of the OF will get dumped out of the Cup next round. If the other Bigot fails to get to the final, they should just move it to another ground where some fans can watch it. MUCh more meaningful and important than playing it in an empty, dilapidated ground in Glasgow.

Couldn't agree more.

Ringothedog
08-04-2021, 05:43 PM

It’s an SFA and UEFA decision, contact them with your thoughts. Let us know what the reply says. Thank you

Since90+2
08-04-2021, 05:45 PM

Won't make a difference if the team fly to the moon afterwards. If Hibs win the Scottish cup there will be thousands out on the streets absolutely guaranteed.

Ringothedog
08-04-2021, 05:46 PM

Totally agree but it will be down to money, they would have to rent another ground rather than the nothing it costs for Hampden.

DH1875
08-04-2021, 06:34 PM
Just play it at whoever loses the oldfirm this round. Crazy to think that fans will actually be allowed in but we aren't letting them in.

Iggy Pope
08-04-2021, 06:54 PM

Sort of like banishment you mean?

Chorley Hibee
08-04-2021, 09:21 PM
Yet the FA Cup Final at Wembley (also a Euro 2020 stadium) is going ahead with fans present on the 15th of May.

Why the difference?

calumhibee1
08-04-2021, 09:25 PM
Just play it at whoever loses the oldfirm this round. Crazy to think that fans will actually be allowed in but we aren't letting them in.

Will fans be allowed in? If so then it’s an absolute joke. I would have thought though that Scot Gov will have (inexplicably) indicated they don’t want fans in.

bingo70
08-04-2021, 09:30 PM
I think the final will be moved away from Hampden but they’ll wait and see who wins the old firm cup game before deciding what venue to use.

hibbysam
08-04-2021, 09:31 PM
Will fans be allowed in? If so then it’s an absolute joke. I would have thought though that Scot Gov will have (inexplicably) indicated they don’t want fans in.

17th may is when crowds can return at reduced capacity.

Andy74
08-04-2021, 09:32 PM
I think the final will be moved away from Hampden but they’ll wait and see who wins the old firm cup game before deciding what venue to use.

Would think so. Covid would be one thing but if any amount of fans are allowed at that point the prep for the Euros excuse cannot be acceptable.

bingo70
08-04-2021, 09:43 PM
Would think so. Covid would be one thing but if any amount of fans are allowed at that point the prep for the Euros excuse cannot be acceptable.

Apart from anything it would be in everyone’s interests to have fans in for the final.

Absolutely nobody would gain from there being no fans there and it would be a tough one to justify from a political or health/covid perspective if there is due to be a relatively large crowd at Hampden a short while later.

They’ll present it as a successful negotiation closer to the time I think. If they said 25% will be at the final now, the period between now and then would be spent with people wanting bigger crowds in for it.

Sure there will be some crowd in for the final, regardless of what is being said now.

hibbysam
08-04-2021, 09:53 PM
Apart from anything it would be in everyone’s interests to have fans in for the final.

Absolutely nobody would gain from there being no fans there and it would be a tough one to justify from a political or health/covid perspective if there is due to be a relatively large crowd at Hampden a short while later.

They’ll present it as a successful negotiation closer to the time I think. If they said 25% will be at the final now, the period between now and then would be spent with people wanting bigger crowds in for it.

Sure there will be some crowd in for the final, regardless of what is being said now.

I think the opposite, I think it’ll be a cop out and they’ll put it down to ‘we had to do it just to get fans in for the Euros’ or ‘there wasn’t enough time between announcement of lifting restrictions to match day’. As soon as Sturgeon advises 17th May restrictions are to be lifted then there should be immediate pressure from the sponsors and finalists to have fans in. SFA should be preparing for best case (25%) scenario now, with worst case already pencilled in.

HibbyKeith
09-04-2021, 11:56 AM
They're scared that the hibees get to the final, win it and rip up the pitch again :greengrin

O'Rourke3
09-04-2021, 12:17 PM

Sure there will be some crowd in for the final, regardless of what is being said now.Given the liklihood that either one of the erse cheeks will be there any crowd would be quadrupled by fans looking to get in, buy or steal briefs. Supporters will likely have to all make their own way. Bus hires will be too expensive as they cannot be filled to capacity. Muggers paradise IMO

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

marinello59
09-04-2021, 12:20 PM
They're scared that the hibees get to the final, win it and rip up the pitch again :greengrin

I will be targeting my neighbours lawn for an outpouring of exuberance if we win the cup.

number9dream
13-04-2021, 12:24 PM
It does look like a decision motivated by a lack of trust in how fans will behave rather than the 'Uefa controls the stadium' nonsense.
Wembley aiming for 21,000 at FA Cup on 15 May - that's the day after Uefa assume control... There is also an expectation for fans to attend the various play-off finals over 29-31 May weekend.
I think the SFA purchase of Hampden stipulates that the stadium is used for all major finals but surely it could be shifted under these exceptional circumstances.
It should be a valuable exercise before the Euros start.

lord bunberry
13-04-2021, 12:54 PM
There’s going to be a small number of fans in for the league cup final in England. 2k each I think.