PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Willie Miller as a..

CJHibby
03-04-2021, 05:14 PM
Commentator or reporter. I always find him really awful..in fairness to him though, he was a great defender..an even better referee still ha ha. Scotland were great at the back with Miller and the gang. Other than the great Milan backline, I've not seen better since.

PatHead
03-04-2021, 05:47 PM
He has never seen a good game in his life. Runs down Scottish football at every opportunity.

tamig
03-04-2021, 05:57 PM
I don’t mind him. He was the loan voice talking any semblance of sense during the pro-hertz stuff that almost all of the Sportsound team were spouting last summer.

Allez Hibs
03-04-2021, 05:59 PM
Well respected voice within the Scottish Game and has been on Sportsound for over 20 years. He's fine.

greenlex
03-04-2021, 06:04 PM
It’s Stephen Presley that grinds my gears. A face unfit for telly. A voice unfit for both telly and radio. He still gets a gig.:rolleyes:

truehibernian
03-04-2021, 06:21 PM
I used to watch Aberdeen train when I was a kid and Miller trained how he played - an absolute machine as a player. He was yester years version of Scott Brown, opposition hated him but would have loved him in their side - a true leader. That - I think - is what skews his view on the modern game now, in that he (naturally) compares the game to what he was used to.

He was actually quite a reserved guy off the pitch. I remember my late uncle was going to do business with him in Aberdeen. My uncle was a straight talking, hard, 6'4 man from Nottingham...........he always referred to Willie as a 'pussycat' :greengrin

Doug Rougvie on the other hand :shocked::take that

O'Rourke3
03-04-2021, 06:49 PM
He's a boring summeriser and constantly questions eveything he himself says . "That was a great chance, wasn't it". "It's a terrible game, isn't it". All afternoon.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

delbert
03-04-2021, 06:53 PM
Well respected voice within the Scottish Game and has been on Sportsound for over 20 years. He's fine.

Aye right, his opinion on 21/5/2016 was that Hibs fans had set the game back years and the game might never recover, an utter slaver who rivals Derek Ferguson in his non ability to form coherent sentences in what is meant to be his native tongue, not to mention a total dinosaur of a manager who was an abject failure and lasted no time in that role, comedy value only !

xyz23jc
03-04-2021, 07:00 PM
He's a boring summeriser and constantly questions eveything he himself says . "That was a great chance, wasn't it". "It's a terrible game, isn't it". All afternoon.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Compared to the infantile roasters around him, he's f... fabulously erudite! :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2021, 07:22 PM
Dreadful. Excellent player back in the pass back to the goalie days - not sure how relevant he is now. He’s managed more pubs than he has football teams in the last 20/30 years.

Carheenlea
03-04-2021, 07:22 PM
Part of the old guard on BBC Sportsound and been around for a long time, and it feels like it.

hibsbollah
03-04-2021, 07:26 PM
Dreadful. Nothing interesting to say. He sounds Bored with life.

HoboHarry
03-04-2021, 07:38 PM
I used to watch Aberdeen train when I was a kid and Miller trained how he played - an absolute machine as a player. He was yester years version of Scott Brown, opposition hated him but would have loved him in their side - a true leader. That - I think - is what skews his view on the modern game now, in that he (naturally) compares the game to what he was used to.

He was actually quite a reserved guy off the pitch. I remember my late uncle was going to do business with him in Aberdeen. My uncle was a straight talking, hard, 6'4 man from Nottingham...........he always referred to Willie as a 'pussycat' :greengrin

Doug Rougvie on the other hand :shocked::take that
Neale Cooper as well 🙂

matty_f
03-04-2021, 07:40 PM
He’s brutal. Tamig mentioned the hearts stuff over the summer, Miller struggled to understand it - same with covid.

He’s not the worst, but he’s well last his sell by date.

PatHead
03-04-2021, 07:50 PM
He’s brutal. Tamig mentioned the hearts stuff over the summer, Miller struggled to understand it - same with covid.

He’s not the worst, but he’s well last his sell by date.

Says more about the others rather than praise for Miller.

CJHibby
03-04-2021, 07:52 PM
Erudite..oh no, haha. He conversely comes across badly but as I previously said, a great defender all the same. I believe he upset Georgie B once but the greatest's barb back was v sharp..classic putdown. I am still so proud that the BEST ever played for me beloved Hibees :thumbsup:

xyz23jc
03-04-2021, 08:52 PM
Erudite..oh no, haha. He conversely comes across badly but as I previously said, a great defender all the same. I believe he upset Georgie B once but the greatest's barb back was v sharp..classic putdown. I am still so proud that the BEST ever played for me beloved Hibees :thumbsup:

Sorry mate...That was Doric Rhymin' slang...! :greengrin:thumbsup::flag:

Ronniekirk
03-04-2021, 09:24 PM
Brings nothing of any substance to the tableOn a par with chick youngest times incoherent as he rambles on Add on his Dons bias’s
I wouldn’t listen to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
03-04-2021, 09:34 PM
He's just one name in the long list of Scottish football pundits who have absolutely nothing insightful to say.

Repeats exactly what he has just seen, turns a statement into a question and lacks basic knowledge about a lot of the topics he is there to discuss.

I'd love to hear Bob Crampsey spend 10 minutes debating with the current crop of Sportsound pundits. He'd run rings around them.

Carheenlea
03-04-2021, 09:49 PM
He's just one name in the long list of Scottish football pundits who have absolutely nothing insightful to say.

Repeats exactly what he has just seen, turns a statement into a question and lacks basic knowledge about a lot of the topics he is there to discuss.

I'd love to hear Bob Crampsey spend 10 minutes debating with the current crop of Sportsound pundits. He'd run rings around them.

I remember Bob Crampsey on Sportsound one time when the debate with a few pundits was about whether or not Brian Laudrup was the best player ever to play in Scotland’s top flight. Most agreed but a few others suggested a few predictable Old Firmers be put into the mix. When Bob was asked who he thought, he simply replied “Without question - Gordon Smith”

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2021, 10:03 PM

:agree: said similar on the Shelley Kerr thread. The number of pundits that just tell you what we all saw is incredible- better saving a wage and leaving a silence.

Kerr after the game last night just gave it loads of “he’ll be happy with that” style chat. Absolute garbage and most if not all of them do it. Tell me something I didn’t know that you know cos you “played the game”.

Jones28
03-04-2021, 10:18 PM
This would have been better as a “suggestions” thread

Imagine Willie Miller as a...

Car salesman!

Or doing the voiceover for JML products

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2021, 10:20 PM
This would have been better as a “suggestions” thread

Imagine Willie Miller as a...

Pub bore

Northernhibee
04-04-2021, 07:49 AM
I remember when Lewis got his international cap he was sulking that Shinnie didn’t start at left back and kept whining that Lewis was out of his depth, though he clearly wasn’t and the goal came from the other side of the pitch.

Ringpiece.

Crunchie
04-04-2021, 07:51 AM
Commentator or reporter. I always find him really awful..in fairness to him though, he was a great defender..an even better referee still ha ha. Scotland were great at the back with Miller and the gang. Other than the great Milan backline, I've not seen better since.
There was no better referee in the game than Willie, he wisnae a bad player either tbf :aok:

WhileTheChief..
04-04-2021, 07:56 AM
If Bob Crampsey was around now he’d get the same kind of abuse as everyone else on Sportsound.

LeithMike
04-04-2021, 08:07 AM
Have to say I like Willie Miller as a pundit. He's calm and measured with great experience in football and always worth listening to. Far prefer him to the noisy brigade trying to grab attention on sportsound.

It's nice to have a balance in presenters/analysts and Willie definitely beings something to the mix.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

angus hibby
04-04-2021, 08:46 AM
Might just be a nice change if he covered a game not involving Aberdeen! Same with Bonner for Celtic, Preston for Hearts etc.

Hardly going to get un-biased opinions.

CJHibby
04-04-2021, 10:07 AM
To the latest poster more specifically, I don't think WM comes across as calm and measured more mundane. If being totally unkind, he comes across as thick. A horrible way to term a mature, experienced adult I know but probably still the right way to describe his commentary. I don't decry his footballing ability in any way..just like John Terry..all the brains in their feet.

WestCoastHibby
04-04-2021, 10:12 AM
The sacked managers club aka BBC Scotland.
If you want a gig just get the boot and you'll be on Sportsound/ Sportscene within five unworking days. " It's the law "

CJHibby
04-04-2021, 10:31 AM
Jobs for the boys right enough. I'm sure he's decent enough at what he does but does Neil McCann not come across as a right know it all, the great Messiah-good day for it lol. Yogi Hughes used to 'talk a great game', plenty waffle too but without all the sanctimony. At least he gives you a laugh now and then-his Speedos quip was comedy gold....let's just say if I bump into Hughes, I'm all for a few beers and chat but sorry Neil, count me out!( and it's nothing to do with the clubs you played for..I mean George Best played for that bloody United :eek:)

gbhibby
04-04-2021, 11:29 AM
If Bob Crampsey was around now he’d get the same kind of abuse as everyone else on Sportsound.
Bob Crampsey had more brains in his big toe than all the pundits nowadays combined.

LeithMike
04-04-2021, 12:04 PM
To the latest poster more specifically, I don't think WM comes across as calm and measured more mundane. If being totally unkind, he comes across as thick. A horrible way to term a mature, experienced adult I know but probably still the right way to describe his commentary. I don't decry his footballing ability in any way..just like John Terry..all the brains in their feet.Have to say I think that's harsh. Willie Miller comes across with far more wisdom than Billy Dodds, Alan Preston and Derek Ferguson. He's certainly not as inciteful as Michael Stewart but its nice to have a balance. He also communicated by far and away the most reasoned opinion on McInnes recently.

While we all lose something with age we should be slow to dispense with those who have something to offer instead of employing young motormouth trying to make a name for themselves.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Kato
04-04-2021, 12:15 PM

When Crampsey was around the editorial policy was to inform and give insight. Given the editorial policy is now to create controversy I doubt he would be on the show.

Brunswickbill
04-04-2021, 08:36 PM
As a player he was good but McLeish did all the work apart from the fact that he comments as a Dons supporter and doesn’t try to be even handed he doesn’t seem to be able to punctuate his comments he seems to be able to talk for two of three minutes without taking a breath never mind pausing to give some semblance of structure to his punditry but I suppose he is a Scottish icon and there’s not too many of them about so you need to give him a break particularly when you compare him to the likes of Preston and Potter. Takes a breath.....

hibby rae
04-04-2021, 09:24 PM

Thing that annoys me is that he, without fail, will always be the commentator for the Aberdeen games. Not exactly objective.

loanheadhibby
04-04-2021, 11:08 PM
Might just be a nice change if he covered a game not involving Aberdeen! Same with Bonner for Celtic, Preston for Hearts etc.

Hardly going to get un-biased opinions.
Preston is scathing of Hearts on a Saturday afternoon every week.

Kato
05-04-2021, 01:27 AM
Preston is scathing of Hearts on a Saturday afternoon every week.

Took him a while to get there though.

Swedish hibee
05-04-2021, 01:50 AM
I'm sure he was a great player, but as a pundit he's a definate no. There's so many on that station that are the same though.

PatHead
05-04-2021, 04:33 PM
I'm sure he was a great player, but as a pundit he's a definate no. There's so many on that station that are the same though.

Except most of them weren't great players

xyz23jc
05-04-2021, 04:51 PM

:hibees:top marks:agree::thumbsup::greengrin

snedzuk
05-04-2021, 06:01 PM
I like him - have to say this though and once I have, you will never get it out of your head so apols in advance - 'opportunity'.

Just listen to his comments next time....

Killiehibbie
05-04-2021, 06:45 PM
He's very boring.

Is It On....
05-04-2021, 08:45 PM

Not a patch on Big Marv..

ekhibee
05-04-2021, 08:56 PM
I've not got a problem with Willie Miller really, I don't always agree with his comments, but he doesn't just jump on the Sportsound bandwagon he has his own opinions. Some of the comments on here about him as a player I totally disagree with, he was an excellent player for a really good Aberdeen team. I disagree that McLeish was a better player than him as well, but that's just my opinion.