View Full Version : Announcement The Future of Hibs.net

01-04-2021, 08:53 AM
As many of you will have noticed hibs.net has been increasingly active on social media in the last few months, particularly Twitter and Instagram. We have also recently launched hibs.pod. This diversified activity was an attempt to tap into a younger demographic and attract new users to the site. Whilst engagement with our social media channels has seen a marked increase and the podcast saw excellent listener numbers for the 1st episode it has sadly not translated into increased traffic to the site nor to an increase in new registrations.

The admin team have felt for some time that the forum platform is increasingly outdated. This is reflected in the difficulties faced by other sites over the last couple of years, the most high profile of which was the TAMB coming close to closure. Whilst the site is financially stable for the moment we felt it was time to bow out on a high.

As such hibs.net will cease to be moderated at the end of the current season and will drop offline entirely sometime after May 31st 2021. We will continue with the podcast and to be active on other social media channels. The site will also be archived and existing posts will be viewable indefinitely, this service is being provided by innovative Scottish tech start up A'Ghiblean Amadan Ltd. Information regarding PM subscriptions and so on will be released in due course.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support over the years. When the old Hibs List was in it's infancy in 1994 it would have been hard to imagine we would still be here in 2021. It's a bittersweet moment and hopefully we can make the last few weeks of the site as enjoyable as the last 25+ years have been.

:hnet::flag:

01-04-2021, 08:55 AM
Sad news.

D’oh!

01-04-2021, 08:57 AM
My heart sank. And then...

01-04-2021, 08:57 AM
Marvelous :thumbsup:

01-04-2021, 08:58 AM
I take it the secret talks to pool resources and merge with JKB didn't come to anything then?

01-04-2021, 09:00 AM
Can we have a share issue first, with certificates and that?

01-04-2021, 09:00 AM
I take it no one played Hibee-Hibernian backwards yet... worrying times.

01-04-2021, 09:09 AM
I thought the site was merging with Kickback?

Totally agree about the younger demographic, though. This place is full of old fogies.

01-04-2021, 09:16 AM
I’m an Auld fart who was on the Hibs list in 1994, so please humour me.

I get that Hibsnet will disappear after 31 May but don’t know exactly what is meant that it ‘will be active on social media channels.’

Are we talking about a Facebook group type of thing...or what?

01-04-2021, 09:18 AM
April Fool

01-04-2021, 09:18 AM
I’m an Auld fart who was on the Hibs list in 1994, so please humour me.

I get that Hibsnet will disappear after 31 May but don’t know exactly what is meant that it ‘will be active on social media channels.’

Are we talking about a Facebook group type of thing...or what?

Is it still a different date in Australia?

Allez Hibs
01-04-2021, 09:19 AM
😂 Quality April Fools

01-04-2021, 09:19 AM
Admin Pricks. Good idea though. :wink:

01-04-2021, 09:21 AM
I remember when Jamie turned the Bounce maroon...

banchoryhibs
01-04-2021, 09:21 AM
You got me🤣

01-04-2021, 09:22 AM
April Fool

There’s a certain subtlety lacking in this one I feel...

JohnMcM
01-04-2021, 09:26 AM
Good try. :na na:

01-04-2021, 09:30 AM
April Fool

Probably.

But I have NFI about any of the tech talk stuff so it could bevApril 1 every day.

I’ll get back to watching Mariners and Adelaide.

Hibeesforever
01-04-2021, 09:32 AM
Thats a classic, well done admins

01-04-2021, 09:33 AM
Jeezo....when i read the op, my wallet was buzzin due to saving all that dosh for PM subs.
Admin pwicks.....:-)
B

01-04-2021, 09:34 AM
WTF!!!??? ....... hook, line and sinker till I scrolled down. :greengrin:thumbsup:

01-04-2021, 09:39 AM
Possibly the best wind up since the spaghetti trees

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

01-04-2021, 09:41 AM
Makes sense, past its sell by date anyway 😉

01-04-2021, 09:44 AM
There’s a certain subtlety lacking in this one I feel...

Indeed! 🙄

04Sauzee
01-04-2021, 09:45 AM
*******s had me until about half way down!!

01-04-2021, 09:45 AM
Haha, i got to the 3rd paragraph then it dawned on me :top marks:thumbsup:

01-04-2021, 09:49 AM
I'm glad i re read the thread before making a total James Hunt of myself by asking a really daft question!! Thanks to all those who reminded me of the date!!🤡🤡

01-04-2021, 09:49 AM
Good wan.

However, the forum is a bit dated. Is there anything in the pipeline to upgrade the forum to make it a bit more 2021? I'd pay a bit more on my PM sub if this would help, and I'm sure others would too.

01-04-2021, 09:53 AM
I remember when Jamie turned the Bounce maroon...

Do you also remember a few years later a certain Evening News journalist getting his knickers in a twist about some of the posts he read from that day?

He didn't half make a t1t if himself.

01-04-2021, 09:57 AM
Nearly got me, started to think oh no! Then realised 😂😂👍

01-04-2021, 09:58 AM
Do you also remember a few years later a certain Evening News journalist getting his knickers in a twist about some of the posts he read from that day?

He didn't half make a t1t if himself.

Rings a bell.

01-04-2021, 10:01 AM
As many of you will have noticed hibs.net has been increasingly active on social media in the last few months, particularly Twitter and Instagram. We have also recently launched hibs.pod. This diversified activity was an attempt to tap into a younger demographic and attract new users to the site. Whilst engagement with our social media channels has seen a marked increase and the podcast saw excellent listener numbers for the 1st episode it has sadly not translated into increased traffic to the site nor to an increase in new registrations.

The admin team have felt for some time that the forum platform is increasingly outdated. This is reflected in the difficulties faced by other sites over the last couple of years, the most high profile of which was the TAMB coming close to closure. Whilst the site is financially stable for the moment we felt it was time to bow out on a high.

As such hibs.net will cease to be moderated at the end of the current season and will drop offline entirely sometime after May 31st 2021. We will continue with the podcast and to be active on other social media channels. The site will also be archived and existing posts will be viewable indefinitely, this service is being provided by innovative Scottish tech start up A'Ghiblean Amadan Ltd. Information regarding PM subscriptions and so on will be released in due course.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support over the years. When the old Hibs List was in it's infancy in 1994 it would have been hard to imagine we would still be here in 2021. It's a bittersweet moment and hopefully we can make the last few weeks of the site as enjoyable as the last 25+ years have been.

I sincerely hope you can forgive me for saying **** you, you got me there.

01-04-2021, 10:02 AM
Rings a bell.

https://www.hibeesbounce.com/threads/complaint-to-een-scotsman-publications.119856/

01-04-2021, 10:05 AM
https://www.hibeesbounce.com/threads/complaint-to-een-scotsman-publications.119856/

Missed this. What was the journalist getting all upset about?

StockholmHibs
01-04-2021, 10:06 AM
Ah F*** yous! I'm so gullible.

01-04-2021, 10:09 AM
Cuntz....got me big time.

01-04-2021, 10:09 AM
Missed this. What was the journalist getting all upset about?

For April Fools day a few years back, Jamie turned The Bounce into a Hearts website and said they were changing their allegiance.

Going along with this joke, a number of posters made some comments pretending to be Hearts supporting right wing nutjobs.

Then some journalist from the EEN read some of the comments years later, missed the date they were posted and wrote a scathing article in the EEN about how the Bounce was full of right wing football hooligans.

01-04-2021, 10:11 AM
Got me hook, line and sinker.

I was going to post something nice but stuff you admin pricks.

01-04-2021, 10:12 AM
Let's not. :greengrin

Pagan Hibernia
01-04-2021, 10:13 AM
Top class :greengrin

I thought my whole weekend was ruined there

01-04-2021, 10:14 AM
Thankfully, my calendar has the month written in 2 languages, so I got it 😉

01-04-2021, 10:17 AM
What's the chances this is some sort of double bluff and the joke is actually on everybody that believes it's just a joke?

01-04-2021, 10:19 AM
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/01/suez-2-ever-given-grounding-prompts-plan-for-canal-along-egypt-israel-border?__twitter_impression=true

In other news, suez2, a bit of a border issue 😉

McSwanky
01-04-2021, 10:19 AM
Half way through the third paragraph. That's when the penny dropped. Ya bassa!

01-04-2021, 10:20 AM
Happy April Fools day 😉

Yes I did fall for it.

01-04-2021, 10:24 AM
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/01/suez-2-ever-given-grounding-prompts-plan-for-canal-along-egypt-israel-border?__twitter_impression=true

“Technology has moved on considerably since the excavation of the first canal in the 1850s,” said the study’s author, Iver Shovel.

MartinfaePorty
01-04-2021, 10:25 AM
Brilliant. My heart sank and then...

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

01-04-2021, 10:28 AM
TBF it’s not been as much of a laugh as JKB - that’s been comedy gold in the last year.

01-04-2021, 10:30 AM
A sad day, especially for us oldies who don't do social media.

I don't know what I'll do without my Hibs fix of a morning (and then all day). It's usually the first site I go to in the morning for all things Hibs related.

I hope it's au revoir and not goodbye.

GGTTH! :flag:

01-04-2021, 10:32 AM
I didn't even register it was 1st April today. So I was taking the OP very seriously for about 3 minutes there :greengrin

WillowbraeHibby
01-04-2021, 10:32 AM

Very sorry to see this :( .... My daily go to for Hibs news.. And the action.. :wink: Thank you for everything...

WillowbraeHibby
01-04-2021, 10:33 AM
WTF!!!??? ....... hook, line and sinker till I scrolled down. :thumbsup:

AugustaHibs
01-04-2021, 10:34 AM
Good wan.

However, the forum is a bit dated. Is there anything in the pipeline to upgrade the forum to make it a bit more 2021? I'd pay a bit more on my PM sub if this would help, and I'm sure others would too.

Agreed. It would make the site so much easier to use if you could embed stuff like photos and tweets etc. It’s not changed in about 15 year

01-04-2021, 10:36 AM
Pricks!

Grudgingly, I should record my respect for a decent wind up and all the work that happens to keep Hibs.net going.

If I was king I’d ban all football chat on Twitter, FB and the like... it makes this forum look informed and civilised! :wink:

And thanks to the forum members who make a positive contribution on here.

01-04-2021, 10:39 AM
Damn it, I just about to post a quality meltdown, then realised :greengrin:greengrin

Got me :greengrin

Rattler
01-04-2021, 10:39 AM
I only got it when I got to this part - A'Ghiblean Amadan :agree:

01-04-2021, 10:44 AM
Agreed. It would make the site so much easier to use if you could embed stuff like photos and tweets etc. It’s not changed in about 15 year

Keep twitter and such as far away from this site as possible in my opinion.

01-04-2021, 10:51 AM
I only got it when I got to this part - A'Ghiblean Amadan :agree:

👍

01-04-2021, 10:55 AM
Was feeling heart sunk for a few minutes :greengrin

well done PB and the admins :top marks

01-04-2021, 10:56 AM

:hnet::flag:Aw crap, luckily I'm in advanced negotiations with a well known Edinburgh business women with a brilliant track record of sorting out all things football and she's going to step in and save Hibs.net.

We're getting giant size windows, panoramic views of school roofs, a big green farmyard animal to insert our small change into, the whole nine yards, there'll even be a share issue.

H18S NX
01-04-2021, 10:56 AM
Aaarrrggghhhh,fell for it hook,line,and sinker,well done...:aok::not worth:na na:

EI255
01-04-2021, 10:59 AM
Nice one

hibee316
01-04-2021, 11:05 AM
Can someone get this fishing hook out of my cheek please?

Damn...

Topographic Hibby
01-04-2021, 11:06 AM
Had me 100% too. Well done. :thumbsup:

01-04-2021, 11:12 AM
I have spotted the poisson! Everyone knows the hibs-list didn't start until 1995. :tsk tsk: :na na:

01-04-2021, 11:16 AM

Embedded tweets should be possible. I think it's just a bbcode feature that needs turned on.

I asked about it here, so it might happen one day?

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?350895-Admins-any-chance-of-enabling-embedded-tweets

Cat Stanton
01-04-2021, 11:19 AM
It's either a compliment to hibs.net, or possibly more likely just a sad indictment of my life, that I felt really quite gutted by this news (before the April fool was made clear). Indeed, I was about to pen an email of complaint....

Let's take it as a compliment!

01-04-2021, 11:22 AM
Got me,was gutted reading the OP 😁

01-04-2021, 11:26 AM

"...Mo Sez, a regional expert in water division management..."

01-04-2021, 11:36 AM
Bollocks, got me as well.
That's what comes with not knowing what day it is!

AliboyFC
01-04-2021, 11:46 AM

😂😂

Clarence
01-04-2021, 11:49 AM
Good one

01-04-2021, 11:50 AM
Funny on off the Ball,Pie and Bovril said sites like ours are finished as we just degenerate into petty squabbles. I feverntlty disagree. P&B are for small clubs who can never achieve anything. Discuss,I mean rage and bitch please.

01-04-2021, 11:54 AM
I’ve always treated this day with caution as I started work exactly 62 years ago.

hibee316
01-04-2021, 11:55 AM
Funny on off the Ball,Pie and Bovril said sites like ours are finished as we just degenerate into petty squabbles. I feverntlty disagree. P&B are for small clubs who can never achieve anything. Discuss,I mean rage and bitch please.

Nout wrong supporting a small team. Doesn't reflect badly on the person.

....ya f@nny! ;)

scuttle
01-04-2021, 11:56 AM
Good one

Hook line and sinker from me
Well done a good yin

Hibee Mac
01-04-2021, 11:59 AM
ALMOST!!

Haha, good one [emoji23]

01-04-2021, 12:05 PM
*******s :greengrin Nearly spat out my spotted dick.

Jay
01-04-2021, 12:44 PM
It got me - and I'm and admin :faf:

01-04-2021, 12:54 PM
You picked a stupid day to break the news, PB, as nobody's taking it seriously. I've no doubt you just didn't think, given how busy you will be making all the arrangements for the shut down, but posting this today is going to make it difficult to persuade folk it's true.

01-04-2021, 12:58 PM
I was going through the disbelief then deep sadness stages.... gently moving into the extreme anger stage... while foaming at the mouth I read further......

I have done sooo well today avoiding getting hooked by anyone. Gutted!

01-04-2021, 01:08 PM
Petrie! :grr:

01-04-2021, 01:15 PM
*******s

wandering_hibee
01-04-2021, 01:18 PM
Well done to the admins, brilliant April Fool which totally caught me.:top marks

hughio
01-04-2021, 01:24 PM
My heart sank. And then...

Got me too ...momentarily!:thumbsup:

01-04-2021, 01:32 PM
I’ve always treated this day with caution as I started work exactly 62 years ago.

Did you get sent for a long stand? :greengrin

01-04-2021, 01:44 PM
One suggestion from me would be to condense the sub forums that are not football related (Holy Ground/Other things in life/other sports) into one generic non football forum. Each of those forums can seem quite sparse at times and it's probably because topics and posts are split over 3 sub forums. Might make them seen a bit busier if it was just the one.

01-04-2021, 01:44 PM

Jeez, that's a long joke someone is playing!

01-04-2021, 01:53 PM
Jeez, that's a long joke someone is playing!

The longest of the long stands?

AZhibee
01-04-2021, 02:07 PM
Before dissolving can someone please clarify about the Stokes signing rumor.

Fell for it for about 10 seconds.

01-04-2021, 02:36 PM
We are hibs.net

We are good

We have Kickback on the run

01-04-2021, 03:01 PM
I was in tears, floods of them, but BillyHibs saved me, thank you Billy. Even in Lockdown Britain there are good people out there.

01-04-2021, 03:10 PM
Haha had me for a second or two.

Radium
01-04-2021, 03:26 PM
... next you will be telling us that spaghetti doesn’t grow on trees

01-04-2021, 03:58 PM
Good. It’s about time this cesspit of negativity was finally put out it’s misery.

I’ll no miss any of you.

01-04-2021, 04:24 PM
Good. It’s about time this cesspit of negativity was finally put out it’s misery.

I’ll no miss any of you.

I agree. I'm off to support Hearts and join the kickback pr*ckpack.

01-04-2021, 04:39 PM
Can we have a share issue first, with certificates and that?

Cash only?

01-04-2021, 05:28 PM
Never posted in years but good to see the admins are still pricks

Hibs4185
01-04-2021, 06:52 PM
Had a crap day and came home to cheer myself up by checking hibs.net and read this. Devastated!

Then I remembered the date! Thank ****!

Good one though!

01-04-2021, 09:03 PM
Can’t be bothered reading through all the rest of the thread, just send me back my PM tenner you bunch of crooks! :greengrin

green leaves
01-04-2021, 09:03 PM
I thought the site was merging with Kickback?

Totally agree about the younger demographic, though. This place is full of old fogies.

To be fair it an easy mistake.
Wee tip to tell the difference kick back has less threads about hearts

01-04-2021, 09:10 PM
Can’t be bothered reading through all the rest of the thread, just send me back my PM tenner you bunch of crooks! :greengrin

But how else could we afford the annual admin trip to Ibiza?

01-04-2021, 09:27 PM

Revive the vengabus. 😉

01-04-2021, 09:54 PM

You can't travel abroad due to Covid, so this year it'll be Port Seton.

02-04-2021, 12:13 AM
Possibly the best wind up since the spaghetti trees

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Have to disagree with you O’Rourke3. Spaghetti trees had a lot of people fooled but .........

The best Lirpa Loof story on here (before todays) goes way back to the early days of .Net.
May even have been on the website that preceded.Net

It was along the lines of Jimmy O’Rourke’s son Ronald was making a name for himself in Scottish football. Many attempts were made to call his son Ron or Ronnie but Jimmy insisted that his son was referred to by his full Christian name. His son agreed with this and liked the idea of being named Ronald O. Something he was insisting on before he would sign a contract with Hibs.

You’ll no doubt guess the Thread Title on that April 1st was something like:

HIBERNIAN SET TO SIGN RONALDO

At the time of course, the player in question was the original Brazilian one. He would have made an impact in the SPL I suppose!!

02-04-2021, 12:31 PM
Have to disagree with you O’Rourke3. Spaghetti trees had a lot of people fooled but .........

The best Lirpa Loof story on here (before todays) goes way back to the early days of .Net.
May even have been on the website that preceded.Net

It was along the lines of Jimmy O’Rourke’s son Ronald was making a name for himself in Scottish football. Many attempts were made to call his son Ron or Ronnie but Jimmy insisted that his son was referred to by his full Christian name. His son agreed with this and liked the idea of being named Ronald O. Something he was insisting on before he would sign a contract with Hibs.

You’ll no doubt guess the Thread Title on that April 1st was something like:

HIBERNIAN SET TO SIGN RONALDO

At the time of course, the player in question was the original Brazilian one. He would have made an impact in the SPL I suppose!![emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk