PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Griffiths to Aberdeen

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

HIBEETILLIDIE
30-03-2021, 07:37 PM
Strong rumour that Griffiths is in talks with sheep about a move there

HoboHarry
30-03-2021, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=HIBEETILLIDIE;6512502]Lee Gryfuths in tocks with Eburdeen.

Fixed that for you.

green day
30-03-2021, 07:53 PM
Stronger than the strong rumours last week?
😂😂

Jim44
30-03-2021, 07:56 PM

I mentioned this yesterday. Ok, it was on Facebook, but I won’t be surprised if there’s something in this.

chrisski33
30-03-2021, 08:00 PM
Whose this Lee Griffiths?

green day
30-03-2021, 08:03 PM
Whose this Lee Griffiths?
Plays up front with Kevan Nesbitt.......

The 90+2
30-03-2021, 08:03 PM
Quite close to Dundee I suppose.

CMurdoch
30-03-2021, 08:08 PM

A late runner for dunderheid poster of the day.

P.S. How is Robert Nilsson workin' oot?

Heisenberg
30-03-2021, 08:08 PM
Have Celtc accepted a bid?

Nicho87
30-03-2021, 08:23 PM
If we aren’t in there enquiring if his agent is doing the rounds there is something wrong. Griffiths should be number one target if he is looking to get out of celtic.

Diclonius
30-03-2021, 08:27 PM
It's Leigh

H113EE5
30-03-2021, 08:32 PM
He might have to wait a long time for a through pass from McGeoch. :bye:

DarlingtonHibee
30-03-2021, 08:38 PM
If we aren’t in there enquiring if his agent is doing the rounds there is something wrong. Griffiths should be number one target if he is looking to get out of celtic.

Can't see him fitting into the wage structure, or discipline rules.

Jim44
30-03-2021, 08:39 PM

I think a small issue of money might be a huge stumbling block for us.

Irish_Steve
30-03-2021, 08:42 PM
Just over 200 posts in 17 yrs.....

green day
30-03-2021, 08:49 PM
OK, so ignoring that the post might be fishing - If LG leaves Celtic in the summer, there will be a price to pay as he is under contract - on a reputed £19k per week.

Even if Aberdeen offered him something amazing - for them - of £9.5 k per week, say? they would have to give him a massive length of contract to make it worth his while.

I would love LG of 5 years ago at Hibs, but think the ship has sailed - and from his perspective, he only has one big contract left, so I dont grudge him making a packet somewhere..............but its highly unlikely to be at Easter Road.

Centre Hawf
30-03-2021, 08:57 PM
Don't know about OP's intentions but I have to admit this is something I've heard grumbling in certain circles more and more over the last few days too.

Personally I'm not too fussed to potentially lose out on him, I would take him for sure but not if it's at a ridiculous wage to do so.

Jim44
30-03-2021, 09:05 PM
OK, so ignoring that the post might be fishing - If LG leaves Celtic in the summer, there will be a price to pay as he is under contract - on a reputed £19k per week.

Even if Aberdeen offered him something amazing - for them - of £9.5 k per week, say? they would have to give him a massive length of contract to make it worth his while.

I would love LG of 5 years ago at Hibs, but think the ship has sailed - and from his perspective, he only has one big contract left, so I dont grudge him making a packet somewhere..............but its highly unlikely to be at Easter Road.

Possible markers:

Celtic would like to get him off their books and might take a hit to achieve that by ploughing cash into a deal with another club.

Even with a helping hand from Celtic, we are unlikely to be in contention financially.

Aberdeen have more financial clout and could conceivably reach a deal with Griffiths and Celtic.

I don’t see Griffiths moving back down to England.

The Scott Brown factor.

jgl07
30-03-2021, 09:05 PM

I thought he played with Rab C?

Diclonius
30-03-2021, 09:20 PM

Assisted in midfield by Scot Allen and Dylan McGoiewsugfhqwoif vhqofrhqwofihfoijqEWFQwqWIVSDFJK B3290322Q3;899WQFVL,';VBL,;';.3 F'3;2;6LN312JM7;2089213098.jz\gsgmsklzsglknnndsdsd sdiosdigjrq3l;k32821n34ch.

SaulGoodman
30-03-2021, 10:54 PM
Assisted in midfield by Scot Allen and Dylan McGoiewsugfhqwoif vhqofrhqwofihfoijqEWFQwqWIVSDFJK B3290322Q3;899WQFVL,';VBL,;';.3 F'3;2;6LN312JM7;2089213098.jz\gsgmsklzsglknnndsdsd sdiosdigjrq3l;k32821n34ch.

Think that links broken mate.

mcohibs
31-03-2021, 06:05 AM

Hate this patter. So what?

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 06:25 AM

Someone who hardly ever posts then starts a thread which could be deemed negative (eg. rumours of Griffiths going to Aberdeen), will always be treated with suspicion. Had it been a post celebrating a win or a decent signing then it would hardly even have been noticed.

I'm not saying it's right, but it's always going to happen.

Hiber-nation
31-03-2021, 06:29 AM

Exactly. In any case the rumour's been on the go since Scott Brown got the job.

Hiber-nation
31-03-2021, 06:30 AM
Someone who hardly ever posts then starts a thread which could be deemed negative (eg. rumours of Griffiths going to Aberdeen), will always be treated with suspicion. Had it been a post celebrating a win or a decent signing then it would hardly even have been noticed.

It's just totally wrong!

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 06:41 AM
So a user posts what is a strong rumour and that is questioned because he has 200 posts in 17 years?

His post was fair enough and a large portion of fans may want Griffiths back at Easter Road which if possible is a no brainer. The same fans will be potentially wanting Hibs to sign him if he's available and will then be wondering why not if the club dont sign him.

Hardly a negative post.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 07:05 AM

Really?

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 07:06 AM
Really?

Yep.

WhileTheChief..
31-03-2021, 07:21 AM

Speak for yourself, you just never learn! Mind the rumour about LD leaving? The OP took dogs abuse but was spot on.

Griffiths to Aberdeen is an old rumour but would be a great move for both parties.

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 07:24 AM
Speak for yourself, you just never learn! Mind the rumour about LD leaving? The OP took dogs abuse but was spot on.

Griffiths to Aberdeen is an old rumour but would be a great move for both parties.

Could you explain that please?

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 07:26 AM
Yep.

Not very inclusive is it?

You could say it discourages similar users who have been registered for years and years who post sporadically from even posting.

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 07:30 AM

You could say it detracts similar users who have been registered for years and years who post sporadically from even posting.

If you took the time to read what I posted, you'll see that I said that "I'm not saying it's right".

Give me peace now please.

mcohibs
31-03-2021, 07:36 AM

You could say it discourages similar users who have been registered for years and years who post sporadically from even posting.

It certainly does

bigwheel
31-03-2021, 07:46 AM
It would be a blow of Leigh ends up at Aberdeen . I wonder if JR will fancy him though . Not been disciplined in recent times , and not a role model for younger players . Would have significant risk attached to such a large investment.

No doubt, if his mind is right though, he would be a 20 goal plus a season player for any team
In our league ..match winner type.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 07:47 AM
It would be a blow of Leigh ends up at Aberdeen . I wonder if JR will fancy him though . Not been disciplined in recent times , and not a role model for younger players . Would have significant risk attached to such a large investment.

No doubt, if his mind is right though, he would be a 20 goal plus a season player for any team
In our league ..match winner type.

Hibs are his home. Like you say, he'd score 20+ goals a season. Its a no brainer.

If he ends up at Aberdeen you'd begin to wonder why we weren't all in for both Scott Brown and Leigh Griffiths. They are game changers for a whole club outside the Old Firm.

superfurryhibby
31-03-2021, 07:49 AM
Maybe the original poster could have bothered to find out how to spell the name of one of the highest profile players to play at Ester Rod in the past ten years?

Of course you’re going to get ripped when you do that, why wouldn’t you?

superfurryhibby
31-03-2021, 07:51 AM
Hibs are his home. Like you say, he'd score 20+ goals a season. Its a no brainer.

If he ends up at Aberdeen you'd begin to wonder why we weren't all in for both Scott Brown and Leigh Griffiths. They are game changers for a whole club outside the Old Firm.

A no brainer.....right enough.

You’re at it, clear as day. Anything positive to say about Hibs...ever?

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 07:52 AM
A no brainer.....right enough.

You’re at it, clear as day. Anything positive to say about Hibs...ever?

I'm at it? Deary me.

Why wouldn't we sign a proven 20+ goal a season striker? Explain that to me.

bigwheel
31-03-2021, 07:53 AM
Maybe the original poster could have bothered to find out how to spell the name of one of the highest profile players to play at Ester Rod in the past ten years?

Of course you’re going to get ripped when you do that, why wouldn’t you?

it is a valid topic for here. Let’s focus on the topic rather than being negative to the OP.

Griffiths going to Aberdeen would be a real blow. Yet, I can see why there would be a possible reluctance to invest in him. In the right mindset, he is a no brainier ..if he doesn’t fancy it , would be a huge investment with little return

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2021, 07:53 AM
I'm at it? Deary me.

Why wouldn't we sign a proven 20+ goal a season striker? Explain that to me.
When did he last play 20 league games?

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 07:55 AM

He's the type of striker who doesn't need 20 games to get 20+ goals.

bigwheel
31-03-2021, 07:55 AM

I think that is getting to heart of the issue - would we get the reliable LG or not ? If we would - it is a massive signing .

If not , a disaster ...

bigwheel
31-03-2021, 07:56 AM

He doesn’t come without risk though ..I’m sure you can acknowledge that ..not sure he would even know what LG we would be getting ...

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2021, 07:57 AM
Ok, when did he last score 20 league goals?

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 07:58 AM
He doesn’t come without risk though ..I’m sure you can acknowledge that ..not sure he would even know what LG we would be getting ...

Yeah, absolutely a risk. It would either work spectacularly or fail spectacularly.

I do think it would be worth the risk though.

You never know, he might flourish under our manager.

Heisenberg
31-03-2021, 07:58 AM
I still highly doubt either us or Aberdeen could afford him unless he’s being let go for free/a massively reduced fee and is willing to take a huge pay cut or Celtc are picking up most of his wage in a loan deal.

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2021, 07:59 AM
Yeah, absolutely a risk. It would either work spectacularly or fail spectacularly.

So not quite a no brainer then.

Andy74
31-03-2021, 08:00 AM

So it has gone from a no brainier that would have you asking serious questions if we didn’t do it to a potential spectacular failure?

Aldo
31-03-2021, 08:00 AM

I would love LG to sign but you say he’d sign 20+ goals a season yet in a better team and in a team with Scott Brown he’s scored 6 goals this season??

You keep banging on about Scott Brown being a changer etc but he’s been very poor this season and on the downward spiral in respect of his career!

As for LG. If he chooses to go to Aberdeen over Hibs (if we did go in for him) then so be it. I’d be a tad disappointed but not gutted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 08:04 AM
So not quite a no brainer then.

It's a no brainer.

WhileTheChief..
31-03-2021, 08:04 AM
Could you explain that please?

My second sentence did just that!!

That you think some of us would read a Griffiths to Aberdeen rumour as somehow being a negative on Hibs is crazy.

You look for the tiniest slight on Hibs at every opportunity to lambast fellow Hibs fans. It sucks.

The OP posted something he heard, so what? Why should that be suspicious? It's not to most of us.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 08:05 AM

That you think some of us would read a Griffiths to Aberdeen rumour as somehow being a negative on Hibs is crazy.

You look for the tiniest slight on Hibs at every opportunity to lambast fellow Hibs fans. It sucks.

The OP posted something he heard, so what? Why should that be suspicious? It's not to most of us.

Well said.

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2021, 08:05 AM
It's a no brainer.

It probably is to someone without one.

Stanton Spence
31-03-2021, 08:08 AM

You never know, he might flourish under our manager.I don't see why he would have to be a spectacular success or a spectacular fail? There is every chance he could just have a decent season or two

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

jacomo
31-03-2021, 08:09 AM
it is a valid topic for here. Let’s focus on the topic rather than being negative to the OP.

Griffiths going to Aberdeen would be a real blow. Yet, I can see why there would be a possible reluctance to invest in him. In the right mindset, he is a no brainier ..if he doesn’t fancy it , would be a huge investment with little return

:agree:

Leigh was only ever on loan with us before. I have long dreamed of him having a Hibs contract, with the hope that coming home would motivate him.

It will be a great shame if he ends up somewhere else imo.

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 08:13 AM

Behave.

I explained why some people are suspicious of certain posts and posters. I also stated it wasn't necessarily "right".

IMO the majority on here would see Leigh signing for Aberdeen and not us as a negative. You have the right to think otherwise and I have the right to disagree.

As for me looking for "the tiniest slight on Hibs at every opportunity to lambast fellow Hibs fans", I'm sorry but you're talking nonsense.

I'm honestly offended by what you're saying. If anything it's your post that sucks.

superfurryhibby
31-03-2021, 08:18 AM
:agree:

Leigh was only ever on loan with us before. I have long dreamed of him having a Hibs contract, with the hope that coming home would motivate him.

It will be a great shame if he ends up somewhere else imo.

Every Hibs fan likes the idea of Leigh returning, it’s a given. However, it would take a significant investment and that would represent a huge gamble, that’s also a given. In the current financial circumstances I struggle to imagine Hibs buying in to that.

Griffiths is under contract for another season. Celtc will have a new manager and he will no doubt want to see what Leigh can do. I’m sure Leigh himself would prefer to be at Celtic and carry on earning the money, which is going to be a hell of a lot more than he will get anywhere else. He’s close to the end of his career, He’ll not be going anywhere, anytime soon.

Dalianwanda
31-03-2021, 08:22 AM

He might if he's fit then again he might not, he might be up for it he might not...Nothing guaranteed and a hell of a gamble in terms of probably cash outlay.

I thought our strategy was to bring in young talent that we can nurture get a couple of good years out of then sell for a profit ready to reinvest. We might bring in the odd older one as emergency cover but thats about it.

Clarence
31-03-2021, 08:24 AM
I think he’ll want to try to prove himself under the new manager at Celtic and I reckon a new manager would look at his record, look at his goals against England and say ok Leigh, show me what you can do. I don’t think he’ll go anywhere until his contract is done at Celtic.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 08:25 AM
He might if he's fit then again he might not, he might be up for it he might not...Nothing guaranteed and a hell of a gamble in terms of probably cash outlay.

I thought our strategy was to bring in young talent that we can nurture get a couple of good years out of then sell for a profit ready to reinvest. We might bring in the odd older one as emergency cover but thats about it.

Yeah good post, I think it's the frustration of Aberdeen nipping in ahead ahead of us with signings and now potentially having both Scott Brown and Leigh Griffiths which if works for them could be great for them.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 08:27 AM
Behave.

As for me looking for "the tiniest slight on Hibs at every opportunity to lambast fellow Hibs fans", I'm sorry but you're talking nonsense.

I don't think he's talking nonsense and have seen it numerous times.

I often wonder what you make of the opinions and views on the other well known Hibs fans forum which are a bit more straight talking.

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 08:28 AM
So a user posts what is a strong rumour and that is questioned because he has 200 posts in 17 years?

His post was fair enough and a large portion of fans may want Griffiths back at Easter Road which if possible is a no brainer. The same fans will be potentially wanting Hibs to sign him if he's available and will then be wondering why not if the club dont sign him.

Hardly a negative post.

Yeah good post, I think it's the frustration of Aberdeen nipping in ahead ahead of us with signings and now potentially having both Scott Brown and Leigh Griffiths which if works for them could be great for them.

Make your mind up.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 08:29 AM
Make your mind up.

About?

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 08:30 AM
I don't think he's talking nonsense and have seen it numerous times.

I often wonder what you make of the opinions and views on the other Hibs fans forum which are a bit more straight talking.

Give me peace. You're boring everyone.

jacomo
31-03-2021, 08:34 AM
Every Hibs fan likes the idea of Leigh returning, it’s a given. However, it would take a significant investment and that would represent a huge gamble, that’s also a given. In the current financial circumstances I struggle to imagine Hibs buying in to that.

Griffiths is under contract for another season. Celtc will have a new manager and he will no doubt want to see what Leigh can do. I’m sure Leigh himself would prefer to be at Celtic and carry on earning the money, which is going to be a hell of a lot more than he will get anywhere else. He’s close to the end of his career, He’ll not be going anywhere, anytime soon.

I don’t think anyone is paying a fee for Leigh.

More likely that Celtc will look to cut him a deal to get him off their books. But of course it all depends on the new manager and their plans.

Keith_M
31-03-2021, 08:34 AM
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/19198476.may-best-parties-celtic-leigh-griffiths-part-ways-amid-aberdeen-link/

Dalianwanda
31-03-2021, 08:35 AM

Yeah I wonder if that will change with the new regime..Saying that we can comfort ourselves with the relative failure of those who they have apparently pinched so far.

Ive tried to think would I be bothered if either of them didnt have the links to the club they have had. Brown really wouldnt bother me, yes hes been great for Celtic but hes unproven as coach & who knows how he will fair in a team that doesnt have the talent cetic do. Leigh I still think could offer something but as Ive said I just think its too much of a gamble.

basehibby
31-03-2021, 08:36 AM
I'd be amazed and somewhat disappointed if Griffiths was leaving Celtic and Jack Ross is not monitoring the situation. Leigh is well known to be Hibs daft and is an undoubted talent if something of a maverick genius. It may be of course that the financial aspect is prohibitive. Aberdeen have supposedly got bigger finances in place and they are DESPERATE for goals so have much more incentive to push the boat out than Hibs. If Hibs had a bottomess pit of cash then signing Griffiths certainly would be a no brainer though - we don't however, but we do have a different owner in Ron Gordon who does not seem as uber-cautious as the Farmer-Petrie regime we got so used to over the years. So I would not write off the possibility of Hibs making a move - although we clearly face stern competition for Leigh's signature in Aberdeen.

green day
31-03-2021, 08:37 AM

2012 for us he got 20+ league goals, and has done it once for Celtc, 2015/6.

The "hes a 20 goal a season striker" is complete crap from people who havent got a clue.

hibsbollah
31-03-2021, 08:38 AM
There’s something about that typo that makes me feel a bit nauseous.

It’s ****ing Leigh :grr:

calumhibee1
31-03-2021, 08:39 AM
Yeah I wonder if that will change with the new regime..Saying that we can comfort ourselves with the relative failure of those who they have apparently pinched so far.

Ive tried to think would I be bothered if either of them didnt have the links to the club they have had. Brown really wouldnt bother me, yes hes been great for Celtic but hes unproven as coach & who knows how he will fair in a team that doesnt have the talent cetic do. Leigh I still think could offer something but as Ive said I just think its too much of a gamble.

It’s probably the best way to look at it but I reckon I’d have loved both of them at Hibs now even if they hadn’t played for us before.

Brown will be an improvement on Aberdeen’s current midfield and would be an improvement on ours as well, albeit not necessarily long term. Would Newell, Gogic or Irvine have got so many minutes at Celtic this season? Not a chance.

Griffiths is potentially one of the best strikers in the league and he’d certainly the best outside the OF imo.

calumhibee1
31-03-2021, 08:42 AM
2012 for us he got 20+ league goals, and has done it once for Celtc, 2015/6.

The "hes a 20 goal a season striker" is complete crap from people who havent got a clue.

He scored 20 in 2014/2015 and 40 in 2015/2016 at Celtic.

Missing out a season where he scored 20 and also not pointing out that the seasons you didn’t miss he scored 28 and 40, so much, much more than 20 is doing him a slight disservice imo.

His rate of scoring at Celtic gave him a goal every 2.08 games. If you could keep him fit, which is of course a big if, then that kind of rate clears 20 every season.

jeffers
31-03-2021, 08:44 AM
Aberdeen have a lot of players out of contract in the summer which obviously will help with their wage bill, but I wonder if their finances are so much better than us now. Probably had to pay off DM and have had less income than us from season ticket sales + our (hopefully) higher league position and all that it could bring.

I’d be very disappointed if we don’t bring LG back over Aberdeen, although I guess a lot depends on what happens with Nisbet. I can’t see us keeping him, Doidge and then bringing in LG.

Dalianwanda
31-03-2021, 08:49 AM
It’s probably the best way to look at it but I reckon I’d have loved both of them at Hibs now even if they hadn’t played for us before.

Brown will be an improvement on Aberdeen’s current midfield and would be an improvement on ours as well, albeit not necessarily long term. Would Newell, Gogic or Irvine have got so many minutes at Celtic this season? Not a chance.

Griffiths is potentially one of the best strikers in the league and he’d certainly the best outside the OF imo.

Id agree with you, a fit motivated Leigh would be a no brainer...Id still have him as the best striker in the league when given a chance. I. just feel its potentially too big a financial gamble (without knowing what Celtic would want or Leigh would accept). Who knows maybe we have made enquiries, we tend to be a bit more secretive & Aberdeen will be doing anything they can to try & win over disgruntled season ticket holders.

Mikey_1875
31-03-2021, 08:53 AM

While signing Leigh would certainly drum up some excitement this strategy is what I would like to see us continue with rather than forking out big money on potentially damaged goods with little to no resale value.

Either way I am confident JR and the board will be able to take the emotion out of it and make the right call.

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 08:58 AM
My first reaction would be to bring him back with no hesitation whatsoever. He's capabale of scoring goals that nobody in our current squad can match.

However, if it was a case of a choice between signing Leigh & keeping Nisbet (for example), it becomes far less clear cut.

eastmainsmsh
31-03-2021, 09:01 AM
Mair chance of Terry Griffiths doing a snooker exhibition in Aberdeen

Jim44
31-03-2021, 09:02 AM
While signing Leigh would certainly drum up some excitement this strategy is what I would like to see us continue with rather than forking out big money on potentially damaged goods with little to no resale value.

Either way I am confident JR and the board will be able to take the emotion out of it and make the right call.

....... just as I think Griffiths will make his decision based on £££ and not on what Hibs supporters or he himself would favour.

Green_one
31-03-2021, 09:08 AM
My first reaction would be to bring him back with no hesitation whatsoever. He's capabale of scoring goals that nobody in our current squad can match.

However, if it was a case of a choice between signing Leigh & keeping Nisbet (for example), it becomes far less clear cut.

My opinion is that signing Leigh is a big gamble for anyone and an expensive one at that.

The chance of him successfully completing a likely contract is low. If Celtic are willing to dump him and a whole load of money, are they crazy? I suspect people are buying the old Leigh rather than the current version.

I would rather spend the money elsewhere and on more players than gambling on one. Let Aberdeen take the risk if indeed that story is real. I find it unlikely given their wider issues.

green day
31-03-2021, 09:17 AM
He scored 20 in 2014/2015 and 40 in 2015/2016 at Celtic.

Missing out a season where he scored 20 and also not pointing out that the seasons you didn’t miss he scored 28 and 40, so much, much more than 20 is doing him a slight disservice imo.

His rate of scoring at Celtic gave him a goal every 2.08 games. If you could keep him fit, which is of course a big if, then that kind of rate clears 20 every season.

Wind your neck in. :rolleyes:

I am well aware of his overall scoring record in those seasons - the question posed related to league goals which is what I answered.

JimBHibees
31-03-2021, 09:27 AM
Don't see any reason for Celtic to let him go cheaply however there are probably only a very few clubs in Scotland who would be an option. Interesting to see how it works out however think he will see out his final year at Celtic and try and impress their new manager.

superfurryhibby
31-03-2021, 09:35 AM
I don’t think anyone is paying a fee for Leigh.

More likely that Celtc will look to cut him a deal to get him off their books. But of course it all depends on the new manager and their plans.

Sure, I was imagining a signing on fee for the player and investment in wages. No one will give Celtic money as a transfer fee.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 09:38 AM

With respect, you could have just posted that initially as its a sensible post.

Might have prevented another thread from being side tracked for a bit and even also have encouraged more people to get involved.

Concensus appears we would take him with the acknowledged asterisk attached.

Hibbyradge
31-03-2021, 09:40 AM
Unless Aberdeen were prepared to pay well over the odds for Leigh/Lee/Lou, there's no possibility that they'd "pip us" to his signature, if we wanted him, imo.

If he does go elsewhere in Scotland, it'll tell me that we didn't want him and I'll be happy enough to accept that we had our reasons. (Have I got those tenses right?)

The romantic in me would like to think that he'd get such a mental boost from being back at the team he supports, that he'd put his troubles behind him, and we'd get a couple of prolific seasons out of him.

The realist in me recognises that fairy tales like that rarely come true.

WhileTheChief..
31-03-2021, 09:41 AM
Behave.

I explained why some people are suspicious of certain posts and posters. I also stated it wasn't necessarily "right".

IMO the majority on here would see Leigh signing for Aberdeen and not us as a negative. You have the right to think otherwise and I have the right to disagree.

I'm honestly offended by what you're saying. If anything it's your post that sucks.

You asked me to explain, so I tried to.

Surprised you find my post offensive.

Sorry about that, thought you were more thick skinned. I'll bear it in mind for future.

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 09:42 AM
With respect, you could have just posted that initially as its a sensible post.

Might have prevented another thread from being side tracked for a bit and even also have encouraged more people to get involved.

Concensus appears we would take him with the acknowledged asterisk attached.

I was responding to a different question (ie. "So what?"). You're the one that went off on a tangent.

If you don't want crap on .net, I suggest you stop stirring it.

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 09:43 AM
You asked me to explain, so I tried to.

Surprised you find my post offensive.

Sorry about that, thought you were more thick skinned. I'll bear it in mind for future.

Just try not to accuse me of things that I don't do, that'll be enough thanks.

Jim44
31-03-2021, 09:43 AM
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/19198476.may-best-parties-celtic-leigh-griffiths-part-ways-amid-aberdeen-link/

Headline: Why it may be best for all parties if Celtic and Leigh Griffiths part ways amid Aberdeen link

You’ve got to subscribe to read the article. Has anybody read it?

Oscar T Grouch
31-03-2021, 09:46 AM
If it was the Leigh from 2016/17 I would say push the boat out, pay as much as he wants and get him into Hibs squad for next year. The thing is, it isn't the Leigh from then, it is Leigh 2021, who has played in 31 games and scored 6 goals. The last time he scored 20+ in a season was 2016/17, his record since then has been, for a Celtc striker (ie the striker getting the best service in the league) is pretty terrible.

2017/18 - Played 40 Scored 11
2018/19 - Played 20 Scored 4
2019/20 - Played 38 Scored 12
2020/21 - Played 31 Scored 6

These are figures for all games including European games. I think most strikers have purple patches in their careers, Leigh's was 2012 through to 2017, he scored 130 in 4 seasons. Like almost all strikers he will lose that touch or a wee bit of pace and that can make a huge difference to a player and it has shown in his recent seasons. Aberdeen might be a good move for Leigh, but I don't think it would be a good move for Hibs to try and get him again, he is 30, he is not getting any younger or fitter, he will not get that bit of pace or that touch back, I would go so far as to say he will never score 20 goals in a season again at this level. Leigh also doesn't fit our current 'philosophy' as laid out by RG. We are looking to youth, we should be ready to welcome our development players back in preseason to see if any are ready for the step up. We have a great young striker in Nisbet and some real prospects coming through the youth system. Sentimentally I would love to see him back in a Hibs strip but my head says otherwise.

Hibbyradge
31-03-2021, 09:46 AM
Headline: Why it may be best for all parties if Celtic and Leigh Griffiths part ways amid Aberdeen link

You’ve got to subscribe to read the article. Has anybody read it?

I think we could all have a go at writing the article and get close to what it says.

Frees up money for the club to use on s younger player.

Gives Griffiths the opportunity to be at the top of the pecking order elsewhere.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 09:49 AM
I was responding to a different question (ie. "So what?"). You're the one that went off on a tangent.

If you don't want crap on .net, I suggest you stop stirring it.

Simple question is... Is Leigh Griffiths better than what we have - Yes. Is Scott Brown better than what we have - Yes. We need to start thinking about how to get over the line to be successful and get to finals and win trophies with this team.

You'll make an Admin one day 👍

CMurdoch
31-03-2021, 09:53 AM
There are 90 minutes in a game so a player completing 10 league games in a season will have played 900 minutes.

Leigh hasn't managed that for the last 3 seasons so he isn't even a 10 game a season player never mind a 20 goal a season player.

Someone posted on here that he is on £19k a week so let's say that's true. That means he still has another £1 million to pick up in wages from Celtic before his contract ends. Therefore at the end of this season Celtic would probably have to pay him £700k to go away and that would allow him to go to Aberdeen or Hibs for £4k a week and make the same money.
However, Celtic is his home so he probably wants to stay there as long as he can, tieing scarves to goal posts when he is fit enough and available to do so.

jeffers
31-03-2021, 09:54 AM
Simple question is... Is Leigh Griffiths better than what we have - Yes. Is Scott Brown better than what we have - Yes. We need to start thinking about how to get over the line to be successful and get to finals and win trophies with this team.

I agree with you re LG, still looks decent in the few games I’ve seen him play. I’m not paying too much attention to his lack of game time given Lennon was his manager latterly.

Brown I’m not so sure about, always wondered if he’d get away the same antics with another team that he got away with at Celtic. Add in his age and I’m not fussed.

Hibbyradge
31-03-2021, 09:55 AM

I'd definitely answer no to both of those questions.

Brown is unlikely to play many games this season. Even if he does, it'll be his swan song, although I suspect he's having that now.

Is Griffiths a better player than Nisbet? One of them is in the Scotland squad this week with a bright international future ahead of him. The other won't play for Scotland again.

I'd far rather keep Nisbet than sign Griffiths.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 09:57 AM
There are 90 minutes in a game so a player completing 10 league games in a season will have played 900 minutes.

Leigh hasn't managed that for the last 3 seasons so he isn't even a 10 game a season player never mind a 20 goal a season player.

He's not going to Aberdeen unless Celtic pay him off and he agrees to an incentive based contract with Egotistical Dave.

Alternative scenario is as follows:
Someone posted on here that he is on £19k a week so let's say that's true. That means he still has another £1 million to pick up in wages from Celtic before his contract ends. Therefore at the end of this season Celtic would probably have to pay him £700k to go away and that would allow him to go to Aberdeen or Hibs for £4k a week and make the same money.
However, Celtic is his home so he probably wants to stay there as long as he can, tieing scarves to posts when he is fit enough and available to do so.

There could also be a scenario where a deal taking Nisbet to Celtic with Griffiths coming to us is a possibility.
Hypotheticaly of course but could happen all the same.

jeffers
31-03-2021, 10:00 AM
I'd definitely answer no to both of those questions.

Brown is unlikely to play many games this season. Even if he does, it'll be his swan song, although I suspect he's having that now.

Is Griffiths a better player than Nisbet? One of them is in the Scotland squad this week with a bright international future ahead of him. The other won't play for Scotland again.

I'd far rather keep Nisbet than sign Griffiths.

I guess no one knows if LG still has the hunger he had, but if he can get back to anything like his best I wouldn’t rule him out of the Scotland setup.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 10:02 AM
I guess no one knows if LG still has the hunger he had, but if he can get back to anything like his best I wouldn’t rule him out of the Scotland setup.

That begs another question for the Scotland Euro squad. A fit Leigh Griffiths playing? That would help.

Jim44
31-03-2021, 10:03 AM
There could also be a scenario where a deal taking Nisbet to Celtic with Griffiths coming to us is a possibility.

There was reference to this yesterday. It was in a ‘Celtic minded’ article somewhere, and broached the subject of Celtic taking advantage of Hibs ‘financial problems’. It was suggested that Celtic should go for Nisbet, Porteous and Doig at discounted prices.

jeffers
31-03-2021, 10:05 AM
That begs another question for the Scotland Euro squad. A fit Leigh Griffiths playing? That would help.

Unfortunately I can’t see that happening. Little chance of him getting much of a chance at Celtic in the remaining games by the looks of things so doubt Clarke will select. Personally though if the choice was a half fit LG in the squad or McBurnie I know who I’d choose.

Hibbyradge
31-03-2021, 10:05 AM

I suppose that's a possibility, but as things currently stand, and looking at all the available evidence, I wouldn't be betting on it happening.

If he can't flourish at Celtic, it's a big leap to think he will at a club where chances are much more limited.

I know he didn't always start, but that, in itself, begs the question why.

hibsbollah
31-03-2021, 10:06 AM

:faf: Definite contender for Best Apology That Isn’t Really An Apology 2022. :top marks

ancient hibee
31-03-2021, 10:12 AM
Unfortunately I can’t see that happening. Little chance of him getting much of a chance at Celtic in the remaining games by the looks of things so doubt Clarke will select. Personally though if the choice was a half fit LG in the squad or McBurnie I know who I’d choose.

Clarke's already had him and only played him a few minutes. It;'s not a coincidence that three managers don't trust him to put in a shift.

The_Exile
31-03-2021, 10:13 AM
Remember when we were all clamoring for Anthony Stokes to be brought "home" and that if we signed him we would be absolutely unstoppable. Then remember when we actually signed him and we were all saying we were going to be banging the goals in and we would be loving watching us pump teams because of the firepower we would have. Then remember how that went?

Aye, me too.

jeffers
31-03-2021, 10:14 AM
I suppose that's a possibility, but as things currently stand, and looking at all the available evidence, I wouldn't be betting on it happening.

If he can't flourish at Celtic, it's a big leap to think he will at a club where chances are much more limited.

I know he didn't always start, but that, in itself, begs the question why.

Without wanting to restart the Doidge debate again, I think LG would have scored more than him and finished some of the chances he missed. Then add in his ability at dead balls. All hypothetical of course but I think LG would have scored more than Nisbet too this season if he’d played the same number of games for us.

I’m like you, have a hope he’ll come home and flourish. Tbf none of the Celtic strikers have flourished this season, so I’m not reading too much into that and I think Lennon obviously had issues with him, deserved or not I don’t really know.

Lago
Why is that important?

Brightside

The answer to both qns is NO. LG hasnt been on form for over a season, and SB was being dropped by Celtic as he also isnt half the player he once was.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 10:16 AM
The answer to both qns is NO. LG hasnt been on form for over a season, and SB was being dropped by Celtic as he also isnt half the player he once was.

Who is better that we have then?

weecounty hibby
31-03-2021, 10:19 AM
Without wanting to restart the Doidge debate again, I think LG would have scored more than him and finished some of the chances he missed. Then add in his ability at dead balls. All hypothetical of course but I think LG would have scored more than Nisbet too this season if he’d played the same number of games for us.

I’m like you, have a hope he’ll come home and flourish. Tbf none of the Celtic strikers have flourished this season, so I’m not reading too much into that and I think Lennon obviously had issues with him, deserved or not I don’t really know.

That us all very hypothetical as LG just doesn't seem willing or able to be fit enough to play a decent number of games. Also he wouldn't bring the overall game that Doidge does. If he is out the team and replaced with LG it means extra defensive duties for other members of the team
LG from a few years ago? Yes please, bite your hand off for that. LG of today? Not so sure, could be a very expensive bench warmer

where'stheslope
Leigh Griffiths will always score goals its in his nature, Scott Brown is different, would he get away with his arrogant ways at any other club?
I don't think so!!!

Peevemor
We could go round in circles.

Leigh's capable of being by far our best player - maybe even the best striker Scotland has. The question is obviously whether he would be.

superfurryhibby
31-03-2021, 10:21 AM

Why don’t you tell us?

Hibbyradge
31-03-2021, 10:22 AM

Don't get me wrong, if he signs for us, I'll forget everything I've learned about getting my hopes up over the last 50 years, and immediately start doing impressions of a teenage girl who's just been given One Direction tickets. 😁😁

I was like that when Deek resigned, but I almost wish he hadn't come back now because it ended up a bit of a damp squib.

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 10:24 AM
:faf: Definite contender for Best Apology That Isn’t Really An Apology 2022. :top marks

I still haven't worked out why I'm getting a hard time on this thread.

Even though I honestly don't give one, I do object to people inventing stuff about me.

Allez Hibs
Why don’t you tell us?

Already been covered. Already said they are better than what we have.

Hibbyradge

Literally thousands of players are better than those we have.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 10:27 AM

Even though I honestly don't give one, I do object to people inventing stuff about me.

I could be wrong but I think it's the Admin approach without being an Admin.

Hopefully users who have been registered since early 00's will want to contribute to this thread.

Brightside
31-03-2021, 10:28 AM

Who is better than we have? Hundreds of players. Is that really your qn?

jeffers
31-03-2021, 10:29 AM
Don't get me wrong, if he signs for us, I'll forget everything I've learned about getting my hopes up over the last 50 years, and immediately start doing impressions of a teenage girl who's just been given One Direction tickets. 😁😁

I was like that when Deek resigned, but I almost wish he hadn't come back now because it ended up a bit of a damp squib.
:tee hee: Now that one did make me laugh.

Yes that’s a good point re DR, I’d hate it to end up similar with LG.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Literally thousands of players are better than those we have.

I think you misread... I asked who is better 'that' we have.

Brightside
31-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Already been covered. Already said they are better than what we have.

They arent. You are totally wrong. Based on what analysis is either player better than what we currently have? Both are past it for different reasons.

CMurdoch
31-03-2021, 10:31 AM

Would be keeping those two things very separate.
2 year, £4k a week contract on offer if he can come to an agreement with Celtic about his current deal.

However, expect another season of more talk than action from Leigh at Celtic before the inevitable hot air up the faithfuls backsides "Hibs have always been my team and it would be great to finish my career there. I think I have 3 good years left in me. The Hibs fans are great and I would love to play in front of them again, I loved scoring goals for them against Hearts blah blah blah"

superfurryhibby
31-03-2021, 10:32 AM

Don’t worry about it, this thread is a total troll fest.

Got to laugh, petty vendettas, “fans” that can’t spell the name of one of the most prominent Scottish players of the past decade, relentless creativity in making up hypothetical situations whereby Hibs are beaten to the signing of players we aren’t even interested in. Quality nonsense.

Hibbyradge
31-03-2021, 10:33 AM
I think you misread... I asked who is better 'that' we have.

You're right, I misread.

Irvine, Gogic and Newell are better than Brown is now, and Nisbet is better than the current manifestation of Leigh Griffiths.

I certainly wouldn't be swapping any of them.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 10:38 AM
Don’t worry about it, this thread is a total troll fest.

Got to laugh, petty vendettas, “fans” that can’t spell the name of one of the most prominent Scottish players of the past decade, relentless creativity in making up hypothetical situations whereby Hibs are beaten to the signing of players we aren’t even interested in. Quality nonsense.

So we shouldn't be discussing signing proven good players?

easty
31-03-2021, 10:42 AM
You're right, I misread.

Irvine, Gogic and Newell are better than Brown is now, and Nisbet is better than the current manifestation of Leigh Griffiths.

I certainly wouldn't be swapping any of them.

There’s no way that Gogic is better than Brown.

Brown hasn’t been playing for Celtc all season for any other reason than he’s still good enough. Gogic wouldn’t even be on their bench.

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 10:50 AM
I could be wrong but I think it's the Admin approach without being an Admin.

Hopefully users who have been registered since early 00's will want to contribute to this thread.

You are wrong.

Quote me one instance on this thread where I've done anything "admin like".

When you can't, at least admit that you're wrong then give me peace.

Hibbyradge
31-03-2021, 10:50 AM

Brown hasn’t been playing for Celtc all season for any other reason than he’s still good enough. Gogic wouldn’t even be on their bench.

This is Brown's last season as a starting player, unless he dropped a league.

Gogic will start games unless the manager thinks there's an occasional tactical benefit from keeping him on the bench.

Brown was a fantastic midfielder. He's not now.

Brightside
31-03-2021, 10:51 AM

Gogic is a better pick for us right now than Brown. Very few Celtic fans wanted Brown to be playing for Celtic most weeks this season. He was there to be exploited when we played against them. Brown is 36 years old and his 5 yard pace has gone. Thats huge for someone in his area of the pitch. He will still have occasional good games but he is nowhere near the level we should be looking at as we look to improve our squad.

Betty Boop
31-03-2021, 11:12 AM
Would be keeping those two things very separate.
2 year, £4k a week contract on offer if he can come to an agreement with Celtic about his current deal.

However, expect another season of more talk than action from Leigh at Celtic before the inevitable hot air up the faithfuls backsides "Hibs have always been my team and it would be great to finish my career there. I think I have 3 good years left in me. The Hibs fans are great and I would love to play in front of them again, I loved scoring goals for them against Hearts blah blah blah"
Thought he said he wanted to finish his career at Parkhead ?

CMurdoch
31-03-2021, 11:18 AM
Thought he said he wanted to finish his career at Parkhead ?

so would you if they gave you loadsa moneyevery week
He will say anything to get a contract when the time comes.
Hibs, Aberdeen or Hearts next for Leigh.
Eventually it will be junior football at 36.

Onion
31-03-2021, 12:02 PM
Fact that Hibs fans and maybe Hibs would like to see LG back at ER immediately makes him eligible for Aberdeen under their signing policy with money being no barrier ..... "If Hibs want him, we'll have him".

Has served them really well this season :greengrin

matty_f
31-03-2021, 12:14 PM

What are you trying to say with the last sentence?

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 12:16 PM
What are you trying to say with the last sentence?

He thinks I'm a dick? :dunno:

Stanton Spence
31-03-2021, 12:18 PM
He thinks I'm a dick? :dunno:And a post count snob [emoji849]

calumhibee1
31-03-2021, 12:20 PM

There’s no way that any of our midfield are better than Brown and I would say the same re Nisbet and Griffiths.

Brown especially is still streets ahead of Gogic and Newell and also better than Irvine imo. None of them would have got anywhere near the minutes at Celtic this season that Brown has.

calumhibee1
31-03-2021, 12:22 PM
Gogic is a better pick for us right now than Brown. Very few Celtic fans wanted Brown to be playing for Celtic most weeks this season. He was there to be exploited when we played against them. Brown is 36 years old and his 5 yard pace has gone. Thats huge for someone in his area of the pitch. He will still have occasional good games but he is nowhere near the level we should be looking at as we look to improve our squad.
I can guarantee you that even fewer Celtic fans would have wanted Gogic or Newell playing for them.

Not being good enough for Celtic (although he still played stacks of games) doesn’t mean he isn’t good enough for us. Likewise with LG.

Hibbyradge
31-03-2021, 12:26 PM
There’s no way that any of our midfield are better than Brown and I would say the same re Nisbet and Griffiths.

Brown especially is still streets ahead of Gogic and Newell and also better than Irvine imo. None of them would have got anywhere near the minutes at Celtic this season that Brown has.

He was a good player, but he's lost that edge.

He will hardly feature for Aberdeen next season and he wouldn't at Hibs, unlike our midfielders who will play regularly.

FilipinoHibs
31-03-2021, 12:28 PM
Leigh on £18K a week and contracted to summer 2022. He aint budging for anything less which means a big payoff from
Celtic.

Jim44
31-03-2021, 12:33 PM

Gogic will start games unless the manager thinks there's an occasional tactical benefit from keeping him on the bench.

There’s clearly different shades of opinion re. Brown and Gogic, Newell and Irvine but there’s no doubt in my mind that our present trio are, by far, the better investment in our immediate short term progress and for the next few seasons.

easty
31-03-2021, 12:37 PM

Nah, he’ll start at Aberdeen next season. He doesn’t have to drop down a league.

I agree with your last point, he’s not the fantastic midfielder he once was. Madness, in my opinion, to think he’s dropped to the level of Gogic though. Brown, even now, can still read the game and get into the right positions, and is far better on the ball, than Gogic.

easty
31-03-2021, 12:38 PM
He was a good player, but he's lost that edge.

He will hardly feature for Aberdeen next season and he wouldn't at Hibs, unlike our midfielders who will play regularly.

He’d start every week for us. Playing where Gogic plays now.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-03-2021, 12:41 PM
I’m not casting doubt but I does surprise me how porous the walls much be around players earnings across Scotland and the UK. Is it agents leaking pure unchecked speculation with pundits having a bash too or are players just big mouths?

easty
31-03-2021, 12:41 PM
Leigh on £18K a week and contracted to summer 2022. He aint budging for anything less which means a big payoff from
Celtic.

It wouldn’t be a surprise if Celtc gave him a deal to get him out though. At that point, we’d be as likely to get him as anyone else.

His days of new contracts at £18k a week are behind him.

I think LG to Hibs would be a good move for both parties.

SteveHFC
31-03-2021, 02:23 PM
Leigh to Hibs :hyper

HoboHarry
31-03-2021, 02:31 PM
I’m not casting doubt but I does surprise me how porous the walls much be around players earnings across Scotland and the UK. Is it agents leaking pure unchecked speculation with pundits having a bash too or are players just big mouths?
Or it could be the fertile imaginations of fans on forums.

Saint Hibee
31-03-2021, 02:44 PM
Bring. Him. Home.

Stanton Spence
31-03-2021, 02:46 PM
I’m not casting doubt but I does surprise me how porous the walls much be around players earnings across Scotland and the UK. Is it agents leaking pure unchecked speculation with pundits having a bash too or are players just big mouths?Me tae bud. It seems that if the same figure gets branded about often enough then it's just accepted as being the correct one

Tully
31-03-2021, 02:46 PM
Leigh to italy😉

lord bunberry
31-03-2021, 02:58 PM
Remember when we were all clamoring for Anthony Stokes to be brought "home" and that if we signed him we would be absolutely unstoppable. Then remember when we actually signed him and we were all saying we were going to be banging the goals in and we would be loving watching us pump teams because of the firepower we would have. Then remember how that went?

Aye, me too.
Well that’s that then.

lord bunberry
31-03-2021, 02:59 PM
And a post count snob [emoji849]

:agree: It’s the sort of thing that stops people posting.

Since452
31-03-2021, 03:08 PM
I really think we need a game and a defeat to pull the fans together again 😉

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2021, 03:10 PM
I'd like us to sign Lee, but I'd like to see the deal first before I could say if it was worth it or not.

jacomo
31-03-2021, 03:14 PM

All of the above.

If you think how many people are directly involved in the transfer of a player, plus agents wanting to talk up the value of their clients, plus players keen to know how their contract compares with their team mates, it’s no surprise that information leaks out.

Of course some of it will be wild speculation, and weirdly often ignores things like bonuses which could dramatically alter the size of a contract.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Leigh’s actual earnings have been a lot lower than speculated this season, because he’s not been on the pitch to earn those goal bonuses.

WhileTheChief..
31-03-2021, 03:27 PM
^^Agreed.

A colleague of mine is literally just off the phone to a Championship player.

He knows exactly what his earnings and outgoings have been over the last few years and what he’ll earn over the next 18 months or so.

He’s not about to go sharing that info on Twitter or anything but as you say, plenty people will know what players earn and some of it might end up on forums or the like.

jgl07
31-03-2021, 03:39 PM

Well he has scored 25 League goals in the last four seasons.

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2021, 03:46 PM
Well he has scored 25 League goals in the last four seasons.

Surely not?

calumhibee1
31-03-2021, 03:54 PM
For anyone who thinks Brown or Griffiths aren’t as good as what we’ve got - Brown is heading for 40+ appearances for Celtic this season. Griffiths has made 20.

Do people genuinely believe Newell, Gogic, Irving, Nisbet or Doidge would have played more than that?

I would be surprised if all 5 of them would manage 20 games for Celtic in a season combined. And on the flip side of that, does anyone genuinely think Griffiths or Brown would be sitting on the bench whilst these guys play at Hibs even though they’ve made plenty appearances for Celtic?

jgl07
31-03-2021, 04:06 PM
Surely not?

Well he has scored 37 in all competitions over four seasons.

25: Premiership
2: Scottish Cup
4: League Cup
6: European

All in a total of 111 appearances.

Jim44
31-03-2021, 04:29 PM
All the discussion about Brown, who will never play for Hibs again, and Griffiths, who is unlikely to play for us in the foreseeable future, appears to have sparked comparisons with our present players and painted them in a sort of negative light, which I don’t think they deserve. Ok, they don’t have the emotional and sentimental attraction that the two former Hibs players seem to have and, yes, Brown and Griffiths are very good players, but there is no need to talk down the players who have got us into an excellent position this season and who will hopefully take us into a new and successful season. Some of the very recent comments by so-called Hibs supporters on social media about our present players are unbelievable. For example, there are folk there saying that Gogic is garbage. C’mon.:rolleyes:

calumhibee1
31-03-2021, 04:31 PM
All the discussion about Brown, who will never play for Hibs again, and Griffiths, who is unlikely to play for us in the foreseeable future, appears to have sparked comparisons with our present players and painted them in a sort of negative light, which I don’t think they deserve. Ok, they don’t have the emotional and sentimental attraction that the two former Hibs players seem to have and, yes, Brown and Griffiths are very good players, but there is no need to talk down the players who have got us into an excellent position this season and who will hopefully take us into a new and successful season. Some of the very recent comments by so-called Hibs supporters on social media about our present players are unbelievable. For example, there are folk there saying that Gogic is garbage. C’mon.:rolleyes:

I’m sure they’ll not be massively offended at it being suggested they’re not as good as one of it not the most successful Celtic player ever and/or Griffiths who has had an outstanding career and is still only 30 years old.

Saying they’re not as good isn’t a put down when you’re comparing them to who they’re being compared to.

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2021, 04:32 PM

I dont believe you, he's a 20 goal a season man, guaranteed. :wink:

B.H.F.C
31-03-2021, 05:05 PM
That us all very hypothetical as LG just doesn't seem willing or able to be fit enough to play a decent number of games. Also he wouldn't bring the overall game that Doidge does. If he is out the team and replaced with LG it means extra defensive duties for other members of the team
LG from a few years ago? Yes please, bite your hand off for that. LG of today? Not so sure, could be a very expensive bench warmer

Griffiths maybe wouldn’t win as many headers as Doidge but, if fit, his all round game is far superior. Same number of goals this season despite 17 less appearances and a handful of starts as well.

But I do have my doubts that he’ll ever be fit and playing every week ever again.

Jim44
31-03-2021, 05:42 PM
I’m sure they’ll not be massively offended at it being suggested they’re not as good as one of it not the most successful Celtic player ever and/or Griffiths who has had an outstanding career and is still only 30 years old.

Saying they’re not as good isn’t a put down when you’re comparing them to who they’re being compared to.

I see where you’re coming from Calum and can’t really disagree, it’s just that I get the impression that the disappointment of seeing Brown and Griffiths going or possibly going to another Scottish club is grounds for questioning the quality of our players. If Griffiths does end up at Aberdeen, I think there could be a real backlash against the club, when realistically, we probably are/were never remotely in the ballpark financially to compete with others.

Hibbyradge
31-03-2021, 06:00 PM
:agree: It’s the sort of thing that stops people posting.

If only it was that easy! :wink:

basehibby
31-03-2021, 06:12 PM
If it was the Leigh from 2016/17 I would say push the boat out, pay as much as he wants and get him into Hibs squad for next year. The thing is, it isn't the Leigh from then, it is Leigh 2021, who has played in 31 games and scored 6 goals. The last time he scored 20+ in a season was 2016/17, his record since then has been, for a Celtc striker (ie the striker getting the best service in the league) is pretty terrible.

2017/18 - Played 40 Scored 11
2018/19 - Played 20 Scored 4
2019/20 - Played 38 Scored 12
2020/21 - Played 31 Scored 6

These are figures for all games including European games. I think most strikers have purple patches in their careers, Leigh's was 2012 through to 2017, he scored 130 in 4 seasons. Like almost all strikers he will lose that touch or a wee bit of pace and that can make a huge difference to a player and it has shown in his recent seasons. Aberdeen might be a good move for Leigh, but I don't think it would be a good move for Hibs to try and get him again, he is 30, he is not getting any younger or fitter, he will not get that bit of pace or that touch back, I would go so far as to say he will never score 20 goals in a season again at this level. Leigh also doesn't fit our current 'philosophy' as laid out by RG. We are looking to youth, we should be ready to welcome our development players back in preseason to see if any are ready for the step up. We have a great young striker in Nisbet and some real prospects coming through the youth system. Sentimentally I would love to see him back in a Hibs strip but my head says otherwise.

2020/21 - Played 31 Scored 6 - to put this in context Griffiths has hardly started a game this season but has come off the bench many times such that in the league he has actually scored a goal every 122 minutes. That is still VERY GOOD by any standard.

The main question for me would be can we get a regular 90mins out of Leigh over the course of a season? If the answer to that is yes then I would have no hesitation in signing him money permitting.

bingo70
31-03-2021, 06:15 PM
If Griffiths can’t get himself fit and motivated to get to the euros with Scotland this summer I’d have my concerned about how motivated he’d be playing for us when he’d be in his comfort zone.

Might be brilliant of course but I’d have a few alarm bells ringing if we spent a lot of money on him (including his wages)

lord bunberry
31-03-2021, 06:20 PM
If only it was that easy! :wink:
Indeed 😉

CockneyRebel
31-03-2021, 06:40 PM
I'd like us to sign Lee, but I'd like to see the deal first before I could say if it was worth it or not.

Do you have a veto? :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2021, 06:52 PM
Do you have a veto? :greengrin

:greengrin

LustForLeith
31-03-2021, 07:09 PM
I remember when there was another set of rumours about Leigh coming to Hibs on loan someone who works at the club laughed out loud that we’d be able to afford a player who makes ten times more than the highest earner at the club did at the time

Jim44
31-03-2021, 07:13 PM
I remember when there was another set of rumours about Leigh coming to Hibs on loan someone who works at the club laughed out loud that we’d be able to afford a player who makes ten times more than the highest earner at the club did at the time

Maybe not 10 times more these days, but totally unrealistic to contemplate us affording Griffiths.

Perd Hapley
31-03-2021, 07:37 PM
Maybe the romance just hasn't faded for me but I'd bite my leg off to bring Leigh home - financially indeed it's up to Griffiths now to decide whether he wants to carry on picking up a high wage or get back into regularly playing; if it's the latter then I would like to think Hibs could offer something to him and that he'd be interested, especially given that there's clearly space in the squad for a first team striker (not to discount Gullan/Shanley but having 2 and a half strikers in the squad between Nisbet, Doidge and Boyle just isn't enough strength in depth IMHO). Agree it would be a risk and it's also quite possible he doesn't fancy the pressure/attention etc. of coming back to play for us - which would be understandable in all honesty but I would be lying if I denied that a part of my soul would die seeing him in a sheep top

J-C
31-03-2021, 08:07 PM
The biggest thing for Leigh is his kids and being close to them, I think he still travels to Glasgow from Edinburgh(outskirts) to be near them, one reason why Hibs may be a better option than Aberdeen.

McD
31-03-2021, 09:42 PM
He thinks I'm a dick? :dunno:

i can’t work out why you’re getting a hard time, you didn’t make the original comment about post count, you just elaborated on why post counts could be discussed in these situations

I’m glad it appears it’s not getting to you :aok:

Eyrie
31-03-2021, 10:01 PM
I'd bring back the Griffiths we had in a heartbeat, but that version was a long time ago and I'm wary of paying big wages to someone who allegedly has fitness issues and whose recent form is nothing special.

S4uzee
31-03-2021, 10:02 PM
For anyone who thinks Brown or Griffiths aren’t as good as what we’ve got - Brown is heading for 40+ appearances for Celtic this season. Griffiths has made 20.

Do people genuinely believe Newell, Gogic, Irving, Nisbet or Doidge would have played more than that?

I would be surprised if all 5 of them would manage 20 games for Celtic in a season combined. And on the flip side of that, does anyone genuinely think Griffiths or Brown would be sitting on the bench whilst these guys play at Hibs even though they’ve made plenty appearances for Celtic?

I’d like to have seen Brown back and exactly the type of mentality/experience we need.

I’d much prefer Brown/Griffiths to Gogic/Newell/Nisbet/Irvine. Not really much of a contest in all honesty

Jim44
31-03-2021, 11:00 PM
I’d like to have seen Brown back and exactly the type of mentality/experience we need.

I’d much prefer Brown/Griffiths to Gogic/Newell/Nisbet/Irvine. Not really much of a contest in all honesty

No use crying over spilt milk. Wipe these tears of regret away and get behind the guys who are already with us. :greengrin. :hibees

ekhibee
31-03-2021, 11:24 PM
I have to admit to being impressed at some of the people on here who seem to have inside knowledge of Aberdeen's finances. Personally I don't see why we coudn't outbid them for Griffiths if we wanted to go for him.

Liberal Hibby
31-03-2021, 11:50 PM

Exactly one goal every three games.

Leigh is what 30? Brown is six years older and definitely at the end of his playing career.

I'd take Griffiths back as he's got at least a couple of years before age really makes it impossible for him to play (at least for parts of games) at the top level. If he's got another year at Celtic on top whack then he's be probably best to take that - if he can get back in the first team squad then he'll probably get a one or two year extension.

Provided his body doesn't completely fail him I'd see what he wanted to do aged 31/32 - once his Celtic wages were a thing of the past.

Having said all that I could see him going to Aberdeen on loan as they can almost certainly pay a bigger proportion of his wages than we could - and because of the Brown connection.

Peevemor
01-04-2021, 12:30 AM
I have to admit to being impressed at some of the people on here who seem to have inside knowledge of Aberdeen's finances. Personally I don't see why we coudn't outbid them for Griffiths if we wanted to go for him.I don't know about this year, but recently Aberdeen's annual turnover has been a few million quid higher than ours and they have a much higher wage bill. It's all in published accounts.

FilipinoHibs
01-04-2021, 01:59 AM
Maybe not 10 times more these days, but totally unrealistic to contemplate us affording Griffiths.

According to stats publicly available on the Internet, he makes 10 times more than most in our current squad.
"Celtic FC 2020-21 Player Wages - Football League FC" https://footballleaguefc.com/celtic-fc-player-wages/amp/

"Hibernian FC 2020-21 Player Wages - Football League FC" https://footballleaguefc.com/hibernian-fc-player-wages/amp/

Peevemor
01-04-2021, 05:17 AM
i can’t work out why you’re getting a hard time, you didn’t make the original comment about post count, you just elaborated on why post counts could be discussed in these situations

I’m glad it appears it’s not getting to you :aok:Thanks for that, it's appreciated.

At least somebody is reading what I actually posted.

Jim44
01-04-2021, 10:15 AM
Maybe yesterday’s Leigh Griffiths thread was a premature April Fool. Sadly, I fear not.

Ps ...... meant to post this in the AF thread.

brog
01-04-2021, 02:19 PM
I don't know about this year, but recently Aberdeen's annual turnover has been a few million quid higher than ours and they have a much higher wage bill. It's all in published accounts.

On a direct comparison, Aberdeen don't really have a much higher (football) wage bill than us. The last pre pandemic accounts (18/19) show Aberdeen 46% higher overall but their numbers of employees are 29% higher. This really comes down to more of their commercial activities being in house, they have 97% more commercial, maintenance & admin staff than we do. Without having a breakdown between players, football management & commercial activities it's impossible to quantify the difference. You would also need to know the balance between salaries paid to senior players & young professionals to gauge whether we are competitive with Aberdeen. My guesstimate is, that on a like for like basis Aberdeen probably pay about 10-20% higher on average to players but it's quite possible that our highest earners, particularly in year in which they were signed, are more competitive with Aberdeen's top earners. That fits with info I was given going into 2018/19 season, where our wage bill increased by nearly 20%. I would hope we could always be competitive with Aberdeen where we really wanted a specific player And yes, I'm aware of Ojo (:greengrin) & McCrorie. It's yet another reason why European football is so important to our club.

green day
01-04-2021, 05:16 PM
On Aberdeen's finances. Cormack did the long awaited Q&A with their fans yesterday
Told them they spend £3m more than us on salaries.

1van Sprou7e
01-04-2021, 05:22 PM
On Aberdeen's finances. Cormack did the long awaited Q&A with their fans yesterday

Source?

jgl07
01-04-2021, 05:23 PM

Money well spent!

Is their wage bill higher than Hearts?

CropleyWasGod
01-04-2021, 05:31 PM

If he's talking about player salaries, how would he know?

If he's talking about overall salaries, he's correct. But then they have a lot more commercial, shop and catering staff than we do.

Playing and coaching staff numbers are much the same. They have twice as many on the commercial etc side.

SaulGoodman
01-04-2021, 06:23 PM
Just caught up with this thread, 10/10 would read again.

WhileTheChief..
01-04-2021, 06:51 PM
If he's talking about player salaries, how would he know?

If he's talking about overall salaries, he's correct. But then they have a lot more commercial, shop and catering staff than we do.

Playing and coaching staff numbers are much the same. They have twice as many on the commercial etc side.

Don’t Ron Gordon and him have a decent relationship? Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they knew quite a bit about each club and how they’re run.

I’d also imagine most club owners have a fair idea of what others are paying, we’re competing in the same market in a lot of cases.

CropleyWasGod
01-04-2021, 06:59 PM
Don’t Ron Gordon and him have a decent relationship? Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they knew quite a bit about each club and how they’re run.

I’d also imagine most club owners have a fair idea of what others are paying, we’re competing in the same market in a lot of cases.

I didn't say that he was wrong in what he said.

My problem is in that being interpreted by Dons' fans (and ours) as being "we spend £3m more than Hibs on players' wages".

WhileTheChief..
01-04-2021, 07:08 PM
You’d have thought that after looking at the league table he’d want to keep quiet about it!

CropleyWasGod
01-04-2021, 07:23 PM
You’d have thought that after looking at the league table he’d want to keep quiet about it!

😁

brog
01-04-2021, 07:35 PM

Cormack is under pressure from Sheep fans & is playing with numbers to try & keep them on side. He is correct that in 2018/19 their wage bill was just under £3m higher than ours. CWG is 100% correct, of course 😀, when he points out that their admin & commercial staff are double the size of ours. (69 versus 35) We have no idea of the cost of those staff but we can say with 100% certainty that Aberdeen's player wage bill is not £3m higher than ours.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-04-2021, 07:35 PM

You mean Checking the bag of sweeties ? :)

Viva_Palmeiras
01-04-2021, 07:47 PM
According to stats publicly available on the Internet, he makes 10 times more than most in our current squad.
"Celtic FC 2020-21 Player Wages - Football League FC" https://footballleaguefc.com/celtic-fc-player-wages/amp/

"Hibernian FC 2020-21 Player Wages - Football League FC" https://footballleaguefc.com/hibernian-fc-player-wages/amp/

Jaw just dropped.

So that appears to be pretty all-encompassing. That said viewing this with a critical mindset, there’s nothing that credits the author/source. Why is that?

Does anyone know of any other industry that would publish such extensive information? I can’t think of anything similar maybe the BBC did publish the salaries of their top earning talent - did Sky who were
Asking for it also do the same? Hmmm.

Im remaining healthily sceptical for now.

CropleyWasGod
01-04-2021, 08:03 PM
Jaw just dropped.

So that appears to be pretty all-encompassing. That said viewing this with a critical mindset, there’s nothing that credits the author/source. Why is that?

Does anyone know of any other industry that would publish such extensive information? I can’t think of anything similar maybe the BBC did publish the salaries of their top earning talent - did Sky who were

As ever in these things, most of that is guesswork, hearsay and perhaps a tiny bit of insider knowledge.

1van Sprou7e
01-04-2021, 08:47 PM
Jaw just dropped.

Most of it won't be fully accurate

green day
01-04-2021, 09:12 PM
I didn't say that he was wrong in what he said.

My problem is in that being interpreted by Dons' fans (and ours) as being "we spend £3m more than Hibs on players' wages".
That's a fair point, and I agree fwiw.

Cormack was making this point to illustrate vthat they had underperformed, and also as his rationale for binning McInnes.

CropleyWasGod
01-04-2021, 09:19 PM
That's a fair point, and I agree fwiw.

Cormack was making this point to illustrate vthat they had underperformed, and also as his rationale for binning McInnes.

In which case, fair play to him 😉

FilipinoHibs
02-04-2021, 08:08 AM
Jaw just dropped.

The site is run by fans. But their main source is player wages to turnover ratio. You know the turnover so you can back out what the total wage bill for the players are.

You load all the squad into a spreadsheet and calculate the average wage. Then you adjust player by player what you think their actual wages are. The overall total remains the same but the other players are adjusted to keep the same total. You go through the process for each player. Some of it will be educated guesswork but some based on some inside info. Clearly, not 100% accurate but a reasonable estimate.

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2021, 09:31 AM
The site is run by fans. But their main source is player wages to turnover ratio. You know the turnover so you can back out what the total wage bill for the players are.

You load all the squad into a spreadsheet and calculate the average wage. Then you adjust player by player what you think their actual wages are. The overall total remains the same but the other players are adjusted to keep the same total. You go through the process for each player. Some of it will be educated guesswork but some based on some inside info. Clearly, not 100% accurate but a reasonable estimate.

They would need to know that, though. I'm not sure what clubs publish that. Hibs don't.

Col2
02-04-2021, 09:59 AM
I wouldn’t be surprised if LG moves to us in the summer.

We will expect to sell Nisbet and deals can be done various ways not just weekly wages.

He would be back home and have a real chance to reset his career again. With Gullen getting good reviews a d game time, we would be sorted for next season given Boyle can play forward and we already have Doidge.

Fingers crossed.

brog
02-04-2021, 10:01 AM

That's not possible unfortunately. The wages to turnover ratio (certainly for Hibs) includes all staff costs. The calculations on that website are really no more knowledgeable than what you'll find on here.

JeMeSouviens
02-04-2021, 10:38 AM
Could someone fix the thread title, please? It's doing my nut. :rolleyes:

Col2
04-04-2021, 05:39 PM
Richard Gordon on sportsound suggesting he might have some inside info that LG could be going to Aberdeen. Chic Young says he wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up back at Easter road.

IF we are interested and assuming Nisbet is being sold then I would like to think we would be his choice. Just don’t know if he is a player Jack Ross would want including the risk that goes with him.

Allez Hibs
04-04-2021, 05:52 PM
Could someone fix the thread title, please? It's doing my nut. :rolleyes:

Same here 😂 👍

Stokesy's on fire
04-04-2021, 07:51 PM
I think hibs are living rent free in cormacks mind..love it

Heisenberg
07-04-2021, 09:42 PM
My understanding of this was totally wrong then, I thought he had a year left but it’s only an option which Celtc haven’t taken yet.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6933507/celtic-griffiths-summer-aberdeen/

A free transfer to us or Aberdeen seems more likely than I thought it was before.

CMurdoch
07-04-2021, 10:09 PM
My understanding of this was totally wrong then, I thought he had a year left but it’s only an option which Celtc haven’t taken yet.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6933507/celtic-griffiths-summer-aberdeen/

A free transfer to us or Aberdeen seems more likely than I thought it was before.

News to me as well.

If that's the case Leigh will be dumped by Celtic.
It's the only sensible decision.
£19k a week for next to no return makes no sense.
Alternative is that they radically change his contract but I suspect they are bored to death with his lack of professionalism.

So Aberdeen or Hibs for no more than £5k a week beckons.
The gravy train has hit the buffers.

Hibbyradge
07-04-2021, 10:11 PM
News to me as well.

£19k a week for next to no return.

£0.25m a year ain't bad buffers!

CMurdoch
07-04-2021, 10:19 PM
£0.25m a year ain't bad buffers!

For you and me it would be heaven :agree:
But for him it is the beginning of the end.

The Harp Awakes
07-04-2021, 10:48 PM
News to me as well.

£19k a week for next to no return makes no sense.
Alternative is that they radically change his contract but I suspect they are bored to death with his lack of professionalism.

Will likely be a decision for the new Celtic Manager or CEO. I agree though, Celtic keeping Leigh on the same terms seems unlikely.

If he leaves, there's got to be a good chance he'll end up at Hibs.

SteveHFC
08-04-2021, 12:08 AM

:hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper

Aldo
08-04-2021, 05:24 AM
JR did say he wanted a left sided striker!!

Since452
08-04-2021, 05:45 AM
I was on the fence about Griffiths coming back to Hibs and swaying towards not wanting him as we aren't a charity club. If he's not fit enough or in the right frame of mind for Celtic then he shouldn't be for Hibs either. However the more I think about it the more I think he'd be a great addition, for Europe especially. Bags of experience and we do need to add numbers. I'd like to think we weren't going to Europe just for a jolly.

calumhibee1
08-04-2021, 07:34 AM
I was on the fence about Griffiths coming back to Hibs and swaying towards not wanting him as we aren't a charity club. If he's not fit enough or in the right frame of mind for Celtic then he shouldn't be for Hibs either. However the more I think about it the more I think he'd be a great addition, for Europe especially. Bags of experience and we do need to add numbers. I'd like to think we weren't going to Europe just for a jolly.

Last time we went into Europe we went in short. Hopefully not something we’ll be doing this time around.

KeithTheHibby
08-04-2021, 07:46 AM
Will likely be a decision for the new Celtic Manager or CEO. I agree though, Celtic keeping Leigh on the same terms seems unlikely.

If he leaves, there's got to be a good chance he'll end up at Hibs.

Huge job for new CEO and manager when they come in. Every chance Eduard will be sold leaving them with a huge void to fill up front. Griffiths no good to them anymore, he never seems to get a run of games meaning he never looks fit when he does play. A fit Griffiths with his head screwed on would be a massive advantage to us.

hibee-boys
08-04-2021, 08:05 AM
You’d think a Championship club would take a gamble on Leigh, no transfer fee and could easily pay double/triple what we could.

erin go bragh
08-04-2021, 08:26 AM
LG wants to sign for us . This is from a very close mate of his 🤞

Del Boy
08-04-2021, 08:30 AM
If he signs then obviously I hope he’s brilliant but I’m probably in the minority who would leave this one - I just think his best days are behind him and he’s not been fully fit for a long, long time.

Diclonius
08-04-2021, 08:33 AM
Just ****ing do it Hibs.

J-C
08-04-2021, 08:38 AM
You’d think a Championship club would take a gamble on Leigh, no transfer fee and could easily pay double/triple what we could.

Problem with England is Leigh needs to be near his kids, it tore him up when he was at Wolves the last time.

marinello59
08-04-2021, 08:39 AM

I’m sure he’s love to sign for us if we offered the most money. :greengrin
I loved him when he was with us, he was an absolute joy to watch. He hasn’t done it in consistently in a Celtic shirt , with much better players around him, for a few seasons now. I’d rather we spent any money on another up and coming young striker such as Nisbet than taking a risk on a player nearing the end of his career with no sell on value.

Lee Marvin
08-04-2021, 08:42 AM
Imagine this place if LG was available in a season we are I europe, wanted to sign for us but moved to Aberdeen instead!!

That would happen under Rod, but I'm hopeful it wont under Ron

calumhibee1
08-04-2021, 08:44 AM
I’m sure he’s love to sign for us if we offered the most money. :greengrin
I loved him when he was with us, he was an absolute joy to watch. He hasn’t done it in consistently in a Celtic shirt , with much better players around him, for a few seasons now. I’d rather we spent any money on another up and coming young striker such as Nisbet than taking a risk on a player nearing the end of his career with no sell on value.

Griffiths has just short of a goal every 2 games in 254 appearances for Celtic. This has been whilst he’s been competing with (and arguably always second fiddle) to Dembele and Edouard.

Whilst he’s not been at his incredible best for a few seasons, he’s had an outstanding Celtic career and even in the last two seasons has scored 18 goals with I’d imagine most of his appearances being off the bench.

He’s managed 20 appearances so far this season under a manager who woefully mismanaged him/their whole team and threw him under the bus on a regular basis.

He’s scored a goal every 132 minutes this season. Edouard has a goal every 130, Morelos a goal every 170.

He’d still play plenty games for us I reckon and if he’s playing, he’s most likely scoring.

hibee-boys
08-04-2021, 08:51 AM
I’d be pretty sure that the cost of signing Griffiths would be repaid through an increase in season ticket/match ticket revenue. Reading between the lines it would seem that Ron Gordon is more prepared to speculate to accumulate so he may well feel the same. Finishing 3rd and securing the European group stages may well be the deciding factor.

ancient hibee
08-04-2021, 08:53 AM
JR did say he wanted a left sided striker!!

What he actually said was he wanted somebody to play on the left and he wanted a striker as well.:greengrin

Since90+2
08-04-2021, 08:59 AM
It's really impossible to know if it's worth taking Leigh back without knowing what his wage demands are.

If it's £3.5k per week with a £500 goal bonus then it's probably a goer, if it's £6 or 7k per week with a £1k goal bonus then probably not.

I do trust Ross, Mathie and Gordon to ultimately make the best decision for the club though.

Sylar
08-04-2021, 09:00 AM
I'd be surprised if Leigh didn't want to stay and fight for a place at Celtc Park - he's likely to see reduced competition as there's almost guaranteed to be big money bids for Eduoard and El Yiounnousi from Premiership or European sides, and the incoming manager is likely to want the opportunity to assess the full squad at his disposal before players start to leave.

Though Scott Brown has apparently been a great support to Leigh over the years, so perhaps that's why this story has reared its head.

BegbieHSC
08-04-2021, 09:00 AM
I’d be utterly ecstatic if he came home.

I’ve got a horrible feeling he’ll end up at Aberdeen though.

ancient hibee
08-04-2021, 09:04 AM
I'd be surprised if Leigh didn't want to stay and fight for a place at Celtc Park - he's likely to see reduced competition as there's almost guaranteed to be big money bids for Eduoard and El Yiounnousi from Premiership or European sides, and the incoming manager is likely to want the opportunity to assess the full squad at his disposal before players start to leave.

Though Scott Brown has apparently been a great support to Leigh over the years, so perhaps that's why this story has reared its head.

If his wage is halved at Celtic he would probably still be getting more than he could signing for us or Aberdeen. So obviously he would stay there.

J-C
08-04-2021, 09:05 AM

Thing is if it's an optional year it'll be Celtic who trigger it and not Leigh, so he'll have no say if he wants to stay another year.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2021, 09:10 AM
Thing is if it's an optional year it'll be Celtic who trigger it and not Leigh, so he'll have no say if he wants to stay another year.

just like Wolves then...

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2021, 09:12 AM

Hopefully Garry O’Connor and Leigh aren’t close 😄

J-C
08-04-2021, 09:14 AM
just like Wolves then...

Yep, Wolves triggered the extra year to make sure they got a decent fee for him, it's a good option to have especially for a club.

hibee-boys
08-04-2021, 09:17 AM

I’m assuming that if Celtic trigger the extra year it’ll be on the same financial terms as his current deal, if that is the case I can’t see Leigh being disappointed by that. However, I just can’t see any Celtic representative sanctioning a million pound in salary over the next year for a player to warm the bench, they’ll want that spent elsewhere, especially given the current financial circumstances.

andudare2

He wont have the option to stay at Celtic if they dont take up the years option, so big decision for him either way.

Just_Jimmy
Yep, Wolves triggered the extra year to make sure they got a decent fee for him, it's a good option to have especially for a club.whilst Celtic would be on the hook for 19k a week and not much chance of much, if any fee to move him on.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

hibee-boys
08-04-2021, 09:21 AM
Yep, Wolves triggered the extra year to make sure they got a decent fee for him, it's a good option to have especially for a club.

Good option for a club who holds a player that clubs are looking to spend money on, I just can’t see this being the case here. If Celtic trigger the extra year Leigh will sit tight, fight for a place and pick up 3 or 4 times more than what he would anywhere else up here......and rightly so given his age and limited years left in football.

Gmack7
08-04-2021, 09:21 AM

I'm no sure he'd go to hearts

hibbydog
08-04-2021, 09:25 AM
I’m in two minds about this.

Great player who’s still got a couple of top years in him.
Guaranteed goals
Focal point of the attack and brings badly needed quality
Low risk. We know what he can do
We rarely get a chance to sign someone of this quality so we should take advantage of his allegiance

Unlikely to be 100% motivated
Best years are behind him
He’s seen it all before
Better that we invest in someone younger with more potential

Hmmm. Confused. The acid test would be whether I’d be happy to see him line up against us in an Aberdeen shirt. Absolutely not.

Bring him back on a 2/3 year deal if it fits within our wage structure

hibbyboy1
08-04-2021, 09:32 AM
was his very good friends dad also a footballer.

hibee-boys
08-04-2021, 09:38 AM
I suspect Nisbet will move on in the summer. Doidge, Leigh and A.N. Other (the next Nisbet) would do me fine😎😂

Jones28
08-04-2021, 09:41 AM
A striking line up of of Doidge, Griffiths, A.N Other (Sheilds from QOTS?) and Gullane is promising.

Is Shanley still on the scene?

calumhibee1
08-04-2021, 09:48 AM
I’m in two minds about this.

Great player who’s still got a couple of top years in him.
Guaranteed goals
Focal point of the attack and brings badly needed quality
Low risk. We know what he can do
We rarely get a chance to sign someone of this quality so we should take advantage of his allegiance

Unlikely to be 100% motivated
Best years are behind him
He’s seen it all before
Better that we invest in someone younger with more potential

Hmmm. Confused. The acid test would be whether I’d be happy to see him line up against us in an Aberdeen shirt. Absolutely not.

Bring him back on a 2/3 year deal if it fits within our wage structure

With regards to investing in someone younger with more potential - there’s nobody that jumps out right now as that guy.

If there was currently a Shankland at Ayr or a Nisbet at Dunfermline on the scene then I’d agree that’s when a decision needs to be made. As it is, I don’t see any obvious better options than Griffiths on a free transfer.

hibbydog
08-04-2021, 10:10 AM
With regards to investing in someone younger with more potential - there’s nobody that jumps out right now as that guy.

If there was currently a Shankland at Ayr or a Nisbet at Dunfermline on the scene then I’d agree that’s when a decision needs to be made. As it is, I don’t see any obvious better options than Griffiths on a free transfer.

I would tend to agree.

But...here’s a Hypothetical choice. Keep Nisbet or get Griffiths?

Jim44
08-04-2021, 10:18 AM
Putting aside the sentimental and partisan factors, I don’t think Griffiths at £5k plus per week is a gamble Hibs would be willing to take. I can’t see him going back down to England so it’s no stretch of the imagination to assume that Aberdeen, with Scott Brown there, are his most likely option.

Allez Hibs
08-04-2021, 10:22 AM
Hope we sign him!

Northernhibee
08-04-2021, 10:23 AM
Not for me.