30-03-2021, 01:21 PM
Kelty hearts also declared champions on lowland league

Billy Whizz
30-03-2021, 01:25 PM
Kelty hearts also declared champions on lowland league

Brora can do a Hearts double, if they beat Kelty in the play off

Diclonius
30-03-2021, 01:59 PM
That's ridiculous. Just cancel the HFL and declare Kelty the winner of the playoff SF.

Peevemor
30-03-2021, 02:05 PM
Stupid.

Hibernian Verse
30-03-2021, 02:13 PM
Brora & Kelty missed out on a chance to get promoted last year so it seems fair enough that they will get a chance this year.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2021, 02:15 PM
Brora & Kelty missed out on a chance to get promoted last year so it seems fair enough that they will get a chance this year.

So did Bonnyrigg.

Peevemor
30-03-2021, 02:17 PM

Leagues, seasons & play-off places shouldn't be decided on the basis of 3 matches. It's just wrong. The season should have been either voided or left on hold.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2021, 02:18 PM
Leagues, seasons & play-off places shouldn't be decided on the basis of 3 matches. It's just wrong. The season should have been either voided or left on hold.

They’re just keeping them quiet after last year. They must be pleased the same teams are top.

Allez Hibs
30-03-2021, 02:19 PM
They’re just keeping them quiet after last year. They must be pleased the same teams are top.

Yeah it has worked out nicely for them. At least they are getting the opportunity for promotion this season.

AltheHibby
30-03-2021, 02:20 PM
It actually makes sense to me. They deserved a chance of promotion last year and there has been effectively no league this year, so last year's champions get the chance this year.

Or something like that.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2021, 02:20 PM
Yeah it has worked out nicely for them. At least they are getting the opportunity for promotion this season.

That’s still a maybe - I don’t think the SPFL have confirmed if the playoffs will take place.

Hibernian Verse
30-03-2021, 02:24 PM

They had to put someone forward for the play-off so, as I say, it makes sense that it's Brora based on last season & the fact they were top again this season. And they beat the biggest club in World football.

Sir David Gray
30-03-2021, 02:24 PM
That's farcical.

Strathspey Thistle hadn't even played a single match in the Highland League this season.

I'm assuming there will be a legal challenge.

jacomo
30-03-2021, 02:25 PM
That's farcical.

Strathspey Thistle hadn't even played a single match in the Highland League this season.

Leslie Deans is preparing the case right now.

Peevemor
30-03-2021, 02:27 PM
That's farcical.

I think they have a strong-weak-medium-weak case (sorry - piping humour :greengrin).

nonshinyfinish
30-03-2021, 02:28 PM
That's farcical.

I think Strathspey will be happy with it overall, safely midtable with an impressive points-per-game of ERROR: DIVIDE BY ZERO

mal
30-03-2021, 02:29 PM
So did Bonnyrigg.

Bonnyrigg were 2nd when the 2019/20 season was ended so it's not quite the same thing.

If they still go with home and away playoffs, Brora could get promoted having played fewer league games than playoff matches...

Northernhibee
30-03-2021, 02:30 PM
Did they get the chance to play any cup games or is that included in those three?

PatHead
30-03-2021, 02:30 PM
It's wrong. Should have null and voided the league.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2021, 02:32 PM
I think Strathspey will be happy with it overall, safely midtable with an impressive points-per-game of ERROR: DIVIDE BY ZERO

:hilarious

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2021, 02:32 PM
Bonnyrigg were 2nd when the 2019/20 season was ended so it's not quite the same thing.

If they still go with home and away playoffs, Brora could get promoted having played fewer league games than playoff matches...

They were 2nd - 6 points behind with a game in hand and Kelty to play at home.

Monts
30-03-2021, 02:44 PM
Did they get the chance to play any cup games or is that included in those three?

I heard they drew a big team, so they must've been papped out early doors.

marinello59
30-03-2021, 02:48 PM
It's wrong. Should have null and voided the league.

They couldn't, they have a legal requirement to put a team forward for the play off match. It looks crazy but this really is the best solution.

Bostonhibby
30-03-2021, 02:50 PM
They should get Mrs doctor Budge to form one of her task forces to sort this out, for the good of Scottish football obviously.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

mal
30-03-2021, 02:52 PM
They were 2nd - 6 points behind with a game in hand and Kelty to play at home.

They finished where they finished under the same metric as everyone else had to abide by, even Hearts.

Peevemor
30-03-2021, 02:53 PM
They couldn't, they have a legal requirement to put a team forward for the play off match. It looks crazy but this really is the best solution.

And if they hadn't what would have happened? Their opponents get a bye so status quo - not exactly the worst outcome.

It's wholly wrong for me.

PatHead
30-03-2021, 02:58 PM

Would have been fairer drawing names out a hat.

Hibernian Verse
30-03-2021, 03:07 PM

The fairest way to do it was allow Brora, who were top of the league, to have the chance they lost because of the SPFL last season.

marinello59
30-03-2021, 03:08 PM

Possibly. The difference in standard between the top and bottom of the Highland League is huge though, I'm not so sure Fort William for instance would have appreciated the 'prize' of a crack at League football. A lot of the teams are perfectly happy where they are.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2021, 03:15 PM
They finished where they finished under the same metric as everyone else had to abide by, even Hearts.

Yes last season. This season is far more farcical.

hibbysam
30-03-2021, 03:42 PM
Last season was done. What happened has no bearing on now. If the leagues get extended then Bonnyrigg Miss out on goal difference. Utter shambles. Brora winning a league based on goal difference after 3 games when another team hadn’t played 1 game is embarrassing.

Kelty had played 1 other top 5 side and lost it. Winning a league based on a schedule.

marinello59
30-03-2021, 03:53 PM
Last season was done. What happened has no bearing on now. If the leagues get extended then Bonnyrigg Miss out on goal difference. Utter shambles. Brora winning a league based on goal difference after 3 games when another team hadn’t played 1 game is embarrassing.

Kelty had played 1 other top 5 side and lost it. Winning a league based on a schedule.

It’s easier to understand if you look at it as Brora being nominated to take part in the playoffs rather than being lauded as League Champions.

hibbysam
30-03-2021, 04:02 PM
It’s easier to understand if you look at it as Brora being nominated to take part in the playoffs rather than being lauded as League Champions.

At the expense of every other side in the league based on 3 games (and none for one side). Nothing anyone will say will make that sound ok.

As for the lowland league, the rule was passed at the start of the season that if less than 50% of games had been played then it would be voided. Money talks.

marinello59
30-03-2021, 04:10 PM
At the expense of every other side in the league based on 3 games (and none for one side). Nothing anyone will say will make that sound ok.

As for the lowland league, the rule was passed at the start of the season that if less than 50% of games had been played then it would be voided. Money talks.

Are the other clubs in the Highland League all kicking off about it?

hibbysam
30-03-2021, 04:38 PM
Are the other clubs in the Highland League all kicking off about it?

They certainly should be. The sides down the bottom probably couldn’t care less though.

Since452
30-03-2021, 04:43 PM
Somebody has to win it

Peevemor
30-03-2021, 04:45 PM
Somebody has to win itHow can someone win a league without at least 1 cycle of games being played, let alone home & away?

Eyrie
30-03-2021, 06:34 PM
I think the sensible decision would have been to make season 20/21 null and void, but nominate Brora on the basis that they missed out last season.

As has been pointed out, it's farcical that anyone has been declared champion.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2021, 06:36 PM
Who got, er, demoted?

Lancs Harp
30-03-2021, 06:39 PM
Blackpool were top of the league in 1939 when the league in England was suspended after 3 games due to WW2. On this news I've penned a letter to the FA. :wink::greengrin

Billy Whizz
30-03-2021, 06:39 PM
Who got, er, demoted?

No one yet, League 2 teams saying they shouldn’t be allowed to participate in the Play offs, because the season wasn’t completed

gbhibby
30-03-2021, 06:42 PM
Strathspey would have reeled the other teams in.😁 Seems a strange decision after 3 games.