PDA

View Full Version : David Wotherspoon

JeMeSouviens
30-03-2021, 09:39 AM
Made his international debut for Canada last night, and scored. Chuffed for him. Good lad, Spoony. I always thought we should have got a lot more out of him.

hibee
30-03-2021, 09:48 AM
I thought he’d played for them before, remember the news stories a few years ago about how he’d been picked to play for them but had never been to Canada.

1van Sprou7e
30-03-2021, 09:49 AM
It was his first goal but he made his debut in 2018

He's not good enough for where we want to be as a club but nothing but respect for him, seems a nice guy and has carved a better career for himself than 99% of players

jacomo
30-03-2021, 09:49 AM
I think he suffered a little by comparison with Whittaker.

Decent player who has had a very good and successful career.

jacomo
30-03-2021, 09:52 AM

He's not good enough for where we want to be as a club but nothing but respect for him, seems a nice guy and has carved a better career for himself than 99% of players

Ha ha this old belter.

Last season his team finished one place above us in the league.

This season his team knocked us out of the League Cup and then lifted the trophy.

Where exactly do we want to be as a club?

JeMeSouviens
30-03-2021, 09:55 AM
I thought he’d played for them before, remember the news stories a few years ago about how he’d been picked to play for them but had never been to Canada.

Ah yes, you're right, I misread the tweet. It was his first game in the World Cup. 11-0 v the Cayman Islands, who says there are no easy games any more? :greengrin

Allez Hibs
30-03-2021, 09:56 AM
Ha ha this old belter.

This season his team knocked us out of the League Cup and then lifted the trophy.

A few ex Hibs players got medals with them too!

JeMeSouviens
30-03-2021, 09:59 AM
I think he suffered a little by comparison with Whittaker.

Decent player who has had a very good and successful career.

I think he was overused in his first couple of seasons. He looked great when he broke through. I particularly remember him sidestepping a Mikey Stewart lunge and also hitting the post from about 30 yards in a 0-0 at Tiny. Then his confidence went a bit as the team's form tanked.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2021, 10:02 AM
I think he was overused in his first couple of seasons. He looked great when he broke through. I particularly remember him sidestepping a Mikey Stewart lunge and also hitting the post from about 30 yards in a 0-0 at Tiny. Then his confidence went a bit as the team's form tanked.

:agree: he needed a Jack Ross style manager to handle him in a Josh Doig type way.

J-C
30-03-2021, 10:05 AM
He was played out of position for too long, an attacking mid but Fenlon played him as a RB. He left to play in his natural position, this is from the man himself, didn't want to leave but felt it best for his own career.

Allez Hibs
30-03-2021, 10:07 AM
You'd have to say he's had a very good career with St Johnstone. He's won both the Scottish Cup and League Cup with them.

CMurdoch
30-03-2021, 10:24 AM
I really rate the guy.
He has matured into a very good player and could easily do well in the current Hibs team.

Andy74
30-03-2021, 10:25 AM
He was played out of position for too long, an attacking mid but Fenlon played him as a RB. He left to play in his natural position, this is from the man himself, didn't want to leave but felt it best for his own career.

This isn’t very accurate.

Started as a right back under Hughes largely and probably played his best football there.

He played plenty of games in attacking positions. Fenlon used him as an attacking player pretty much exclusively.

The fact that both him and Cairney were woefully inconsistent was a big factor in us not being good enough in an attacking sense for long spells.

Ultimately it was right that he left. For him and us. He’s had a decent career at a club where there is little pressure. Not the first or last that it has applied to.

No one is to blame for him not doing better at Hibs. He played regularly and in attacking positions.

FilipinoHibs
30-03-2021, 10:34 AM
Loved his deflected shot to knock Hearts out the cup a few months after they pumped us in the final.

Dmas
30-03-2021, 10:43 AM
This isn’t very accurate.

Started as a right back under Hughes largely and probably played his best football there.

He played plenty of games in attacking positions. Fenlon used him as an attacking player pretty much exclusively.

The fact that both him and Cairney were woefully inconsistent was a big factor in us not being good enough in an attacking sense for long spells.

Ultimately it was right that he left. For him and us. He’s had a decent career at a club where there is little pressure. Not the first or last that it has applied to.

No one is to blame for him not doing better at Hibs. He played regularly and in attacking positions.

Have to say my memory of Spoony's time is more like J-C's, I cant remeber him being played anymore attacking than a right wing back, I remember reading about him hoping to play in a more central midfield role as well.

guys had a decent career though well done to him on his first international goal as well

Andy74
30-03-2021, 11:01 AM
Have to say my memory of Spoony's time is more like J-C's, I cant remeber him being played anymore attacking than a right wing back, I remember reading about him hoping to play in a more central midfield role as well.

guys had a decent career though well done to him on his first international goal as well

Your memory isn’t the best either then.

Hughes played him initially as a right back.

After that he largely played right wing. Fenlon tended to play right backs such as Clancy or Maybury and we largely had Wotherspoon and Cairney (then Harris) in the wide areas.

ancient hibee
30-03-2021, 11:07 AM

Love these posts. St Johnstone have a better record than us over the past 10 years.

LeithMike
30-03-2021, 11:21 AM
When he first broke through in midfield, I thought he had all the attributes to make it to the top. I definitely think he's a very good footballer. He comes across as a really nice lad though and I think he probably just lacked the confidence and mean side to make it to the very top. You could definitely see the impact of Hibs downturn in fortunes on him and he's played a lot freer at St. Johnstone.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Dinkydoo
30-03-2021, 11:24 AM
Loved his deflected shot to knock Hearts out the cup a few months after they pumped us in the final.He was close to tears in celebration.

Weren't we all! :faf:

superfurryhibby
30-03-2021, 11:27 AM
Your memory isn’t the best either then.

Hughes played him initially as a right back.

After that he largely played right wing. Fenlon tended to play right backs such as Clancy or Maybury and we largely had Wotherspoon and Cairney (then Harris) in the wide areas.

That’s how it was.

I liked him as a player, he was considerably better than Cairney though. In Fenlon’s second season, when we had a good first three-four months, Wotherspoon was very good. He was creative and he linked up well with other players. I really thought he was emerging as a real talent, but it all fell away for him, Hibs and Fenlon that season.

Delighted for the laddie that he got his Scottish Cup winners medal, IIRC, he had been bumped by Fenlon for both cup finals at Hibs? League Cup medal makes his career pretty impressive, especially given he won at a side who had won nothing in their previous hundred years of football.

Clarence
30-03-2021, 11:29 AM
He’s exactly the sort of player that should have been a success at Hibs and the fact that he wasn’t says more about Hibs at that time than it does about David Wotherspoon. I’m not one that gets mawkish over ex players but I’m pleased to see that he has done well in his career.

Bostonhibby
30-03-2021, 11:36 AM
He was played out of position for too long, an attacking mid but Fenlon played him as a RB. He left to play in his natural position, this is from the man himself, didn't want to leave but felt it best for his own career.Agree with this entirely, much under rated player we should gave kept. Not a coincidence that he's had the success he has.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

easty
30-03-2021, 11:43 AM
He couldn’t really get a game for us then, he wouldn’t now. I like him, seems like a good guy, irrelevant though.

I don’t really see why St Johnstone coming above us last season, or putting us out the cup, changes that?

Zander Clark also plays for them, not good enough for us. Scott Tanser too. The list goes on.

Nicho87
30-03-2021, 11:43 AM
Was on our supporters bus for the final done the raffle at our bowling club before the game. Lovely guy.

The Modfather
30-03-2021, 12:00 PM
I think both Wopherspoon and Booth were unlucky to come through when they did. Both are solid SPL players and have proved that. They could have been good servants, if more likely to be squad players than starters, if they came through now. They came through when we were like Hearts are now, churning through players and managers while drifting aimlessly as a club.

Not sure why, but I still vividly remember Wotherspoons debut. At home to St Mirren, several times he beat his man and put in exquisite crosses in. He looked like he wouldn’t have been out of place in the golden generation, but never reached those heights.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2021, 12:03 PM
Definitely was not a right back under fenlon. Fenlon played Lewis there before Wotherspoon. It was Yogi that had him right back.

Decent player who would've done well under Stubbs.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2021, 12:04 PM
Ha ha this old belter.

When did his team last finish 3rd? They were above us last season by a daft rule of them getting points at Ibrox. What about every other year since our promotion?

Mr. Wonderful
30-03-2021, 12:05 PM
Technically really good player, always has been. He chops like nobody else in Scotland and in 1v1 situations he's superb. At hibs he really struggled with the physical and mental side of the game and could never maintain a consistent level of performance.

Allez Hibs
30-03-2021, 12:15 PM
When did his team last finish 3rd? They were above us last season by a daft rule of them getting points at Ibrox. What about every other year since our promotion?

They finished 3rd in 2012/13 just before Wotherspoon joined them and have finished in the top six 6 out of the 8 seasons since then including three 4th place finishes in a row.

Stuart93
30-03-2021, 12:16 PM
He was close to tears in celebration.

Weren't we all! :faf:

Genuinely think I was in tears.

I’d maybe had one too many shandy’s before that game

Smartie
30-03-2021, 12:24 PM
I really rate the guy.
He has matured into a very good player and could easily do well in the current Hibs team.

I agree.

Always a goal threat from midfield and the sort of player you know is a threat when you come up against his team.

These guys are invaluable when it comes to settling tight games, which most of ours are.

I like that he's had a good career. Played for his boyhood club and got a couple of winners medals for them. He'll have a few stories to tell the grandkids instead of picking up a few quid extra to help the likes of Burton attempt to avoid relegation from the English second tier. He's smart enough to have a decent career after football too.

He's always been a good lad has Wotherspoon.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2021, 12:25 PM
They finished 3rd in 2012/13 just before Wotherspoon joined them and have finished in the top six 6 out of the 8 seasons since then including three 4th place finishes in a row.

Aye, done well without Hibs, Rangers and Hearts. Even Partick and Ross County were top 6 sides then. Didn't know the got 3rd in 2013. Pretty impressive.

jacomo
30-03-2021, 12:28 PM
He couldn’t really get a game for us then, he wouldn’t now. I like him, seems like a good guy, irrelevant though.

I don’t really see why St Johnstone coming above us last season, or putting us out the cup, changes that?

Zander Clark also plays for them, not good enough for us. Scott Tanser too. The list goes on.

St J have a number of ex-Hibs players on their books (albeit some were signed from them in the first place) and seem to get good performances out of them.

That doesn’t make you stop and think, even for a moment?

We all want to see real quality players but they will always be part of a squad that contains players like Paul McGinn or Cadden. These two have done well for us but I wouldn’t say they were a level above DW.

Allez Hibs
30-03-2021, 12:30 PM
St J have a number of ex-Hibs players on their books (albeit some were signed from them in the first place) and seem to get good performances out of them.

We all want to see real quality players but they will always be part of a squad that contains players like Paul McGinn or Cadden. These two have done well for us but I wouldn’t say they were a level above DW.

Correct. I think Wotherspoon would be good for us just now in place of Cadden.

scoopyboy
30-03-2021, 12:36 PM
I used to watch the double winning under 19 side a lot especially when they played their home fixtures at East Mains.

I thought a lot of them would have went on to have great careers with Hibs but never really turned out like that unfortunately.

Callum Booth, David Wotherspoon, Lee Currie, Sean Welsh, Kurtis Byrne all were high on my hopes list but not to be sadly.

Peevemor
30-03-2021, 12:38 PM

I disagree.

I'm not knocking Wortherspoon, and I didn't at the time, but he got a fair bit of criticism from some fans when he was at ER.

I think Cadden will be a better player for Hibs and is six and a half years younger than Wotherspoon.

J-C
30-03-2021, 12:43 PM
Was on our supporters bus for the final done the raffle at our bowling club before the game. Lovely guy.

I was on that same bus, he sat at the back with his mates, I had a good long chat with him outside the Persevere waiting for the bus to arrive, really nice bloke.

superfurryhibby
30-03-2021, 12:51 PM

No thanks.

mal
30-03-2021, 01:25 PM
Aye, done well without Hibs, Rangers and Hearts. Even Partick and Ross County were top 6 sides then. Didn't know the got 3rd in 2013. Pretty impressive.

Ooft! Bit of a Hertz class statement that one. St Johnstone managed not to be ***** enough to get relegated and didn't financially dope to get themselves put out of business. They were top 6 the year we got relegated, finished 4 places above us the year before that, 5 places above us the year before that, 2 above us before that. They were in the top division for the 3 seasons we spent in the Championship so that's 7 years in a row they finished above us, as well as last season. It's definitely not a good idea to patronise them.

Peevemor
30-03-2021, 01:35 PM
Ooft! Bit of a Hertz class statement that one. St Johnstone managed not to be ***** enough to get relegated and didn't financially dope to get themselves put out of business. They were top 6 the year we got relegated, finished 4 places above us the year before that, 5 places above us the year before that, 2 above us before that. They were in the top division for the 3 seasons we spent in the Championship so that's 7 years in a row they finished above us, as well as last season. It's definitely not a good idea to patronise them.

I'd still much rather be a hibee though.

Allez Hibs
30-03-2021, 01:37 PM
I disagree.

I'm not knocking Wortherspoon, and I didn't at the time, but he got a fair bit of criticism from some fans when he was at ER.

I think Cadden will be a better player for Hibs and is six and a half years younger than Wotherspoon.

Yeah, fair comment.

I just think taking this season in isolation Wotherspoon would maybe offer that bit more quality going forward. I agree that hopefully Cadden develops into a good player for us but there's been a number of occasions he could maybe have had that little bit more quality. Think he should have scored early in a home game and away at Ross County could be wrong. He does have a good engine though.

I like the look of Cadden so far to be fair.

Smartie
30-03-2021, 01:47 PM

St Johnstone are a good example of a well run club and they deserve praise for their achievements.

They’ve done things the right way when many around them haven’t.

Cat Stanton
30-03-2021, 01:51 PM

Absolutely. Looked great when he made his debut - people were wondering if he would be the next big thing. But was then massively overplayed by Hughes, instead of being nursed/sparingly used as better managers would have done.

(NB this is my humble opinion - before the John Hughes lovers start shouting at me)

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2021, 02:16 PM
He played his best football at right back under Hughes. He was part of the best defence in Britain at that particular time.

hibstag
30-03-2021, 02:46 PM
I agree.

Always a goal threat from midfield and the sort of player you know is a threat when you come up against his team.

These guys are invaluable when it comes to settling tight games, which most of ours are.

I like that he's had a good career. Played for his boyhood club and got a couple of winners medals for them. He'll have a few stories to tell the grandkids instead of picking up a few quid extra to help the likes of Burton attempt to avoid relegation from the English second tier. He's smart enough to have a decent career after football too.

He's always been a good lad has Wotherspoon.

This X2

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2021, 02:51 PM

I couldn't care less about them. I just don't get using them as a reason to knock hibs. We're miles above them now and probably would have been last season too. So 3 out of 4 since our promotion and a league that got called early and gave them a draw at Ibrox. That's more relevant than us under Calderwood let's be honest.

1van Sprou7e
30-03-2021, 03:14 PM
Ha ha this old belter.

Consistently 3rd, maybe challenging for 2nd and being able to compete in Europe?

Don't pretend St Johnstone are at that level lol

And that's not me saying that we've done better than them, just that a player of Spoonie's level does not match (what I perceive to be) our ambitions

1van Sprou7e
30-03-2021, 03:19 PM
Love these posts. St Johnstone have a better record than us over the past 10 years.

Did I say anything contrary to that?

MyJo
30-03-2021, 05:03 PM
Ha ha this old belter.

He’s also won more trophies, spent more seasons in the Scottish premiership and played in European football more times as a player than we “as a club” have during his career.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2021, 05:14 PM
He’s also won more trophies, spent more seasons in the Scottish premiership and played in European football more times as a player than we “as a club” have during his career.

If only they had any fans to see it all.

No one in their right mind trades Hibs for St Johnstone. Thats why all their players join us. Having a good spell but ultimately, a bit tinpot.

easty
30-03-2021, 05:51 PM

All it makes me think is, there’s been managers here who haven’t got the best out of the players we’ve had at our disposal, who have been better than the St J players.

jacomo
30-03-2021, 06:09 PM
If only they had any fans to see it all.

No one in their right mind trades Hibs for St Johnstone. Thats why all their players join us. Having a good spell but ultimately, a bit tinpot.

Less of this condescending pish please.

mal
30-03-2021, 06:28 PM
I couldn't care less about them. I just don't get using them as a reason to knock hibs. We're miles above them now and probably would have been last season too. So 3 out of 4 since our promotion and a league that got called early and gave them a draw at Ibrox. That's more relevant than us under Calderwood let's be honest.

Absolutely nobody was knocking Hibs. You do know that St Johnstone pumped us rotten in the League Cup that they went on to win? And that they beat us again this month? This arrogant dismissal of other, perfectly decent clubs is the sort of thing that leads to all the howls of outrage and pant-wetting when we do lose to them.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2021, 07:10 PM
Less of this condescending pish please.Who is condescended like?

Absolutely nobody was knocking Hibs. You do know that St Johnstone pumped us rotten in the League Cup that they went on to win? And that they beat us again this month? This arrogant dismissal of other, perfectly decent clubs is the sort of thing that leads to all the howls of outrage and pant-wetting when we do lose to them.

St Johnstone got played off the park for 30 minutes, could've been 3-0 down. It went against us that day. I'm not arrogantly dismissing them. Its a fact that Hibs are miles clear in every way.

basehibby
30-03-2021, 07:20 PM
Delighted for Spoony. He has matured into a well rounded quality player and it's great to see him get international recognition. He was a thorn in our side in recent meetings and some seem to be arguing the toss over whether we should have hung onto him. But them's the breaks - he is a key player now at St Johnstone where he is sure of regular starts that would have been harder to come by at Hibs - and he's probably a better player for it now.

Smartie
30-03-2021, 07:27 PM
Who is condescended like?

St Johnstone got played off the park for 30 minutes, could've been 3-0 down. It went against us that day. I'm not arrogantly dismissing them. Its a fact that Hibs are miles clear in every way.

Not wanting to kick my own club but in all likelihood St Johnstone will have more shiny objects on the mantelpiece than us at the end this season. In a country dominated by 2 clubs, that counts for something.

We’re ahead in so many areas and I would 100% not be wanting to swap places with them, but we’re not miles clear in ALL areas. They are a wee club who punch above their weight brilliantly and they deserve respect.

easty
30-03-2021, 08:11 PM
Not wanting to kick my own club but in all likelihood St Johnstone will have more shiny objects on the mantelpiece than us at the end this season. In a country dominated by 2 clubs, that counts for something.

We’re ahead in so many areas and I would 100% not be wanting to swap places with them, but we’re not miles clear in ALL areas. They are a wee club who punch above their weight brilliantly and they deserve respect.

I’m what areas are we behind St Johnstone?

Smartie
30-03-2021, 08:25 PM
I’m what areas are we behind St Johnstone?

Trophies won this season.

They have to count highly when measuring success.

easty
30-03-2021, 09:26 PM
Trophies won this season.

They have to count highly when measuring success.

Nah. Are Celtc also behind St Johnstone as well then?

St Johnstone have won a trophy, good for them. They’re behind us as a football club though in every way.

Smartie
30-03-2021, 10:25 PM
Nah. Are Celtc also behind St Johnstone as well then?

St Johnstone have won a trophy, good for them. They’re behind us as a football club though in every way.

This season they are.

All the other stuff - crowds, league finishes, infrastructure etc are great but the whole point of football is to win stuff, and they got a trophy over the line. We’re ahead of them in just about every way but you have to admire their couple of trophies in recent years and aspire to better that.

Did you enjoy the cup win in 2016 or was your enjoyment tempered by the fact that at the end of the day Rangers still have more fans, a bigger ground, better infrastructure, earning potential etc?

We shouldn’t just dismiss winning trophies. It’s what it’s all about, and I think that’s why so many of us reacted so badly to the semi final performances.

Hulk1875
31-03-2021, 01:18 AM
I’ve followed hibs since 1995 first game was against Dundee United, saw us got relegated and grown men cry I was 10 at the time, hibs have let me down so many times but what’s special is when we do win a trophy finish 3rd or even win a game it’s a great feeling, because we’re always expecting the worst.

easty
31-03-2021, 07:24 AM
This season they are.

All the other stuff - crowds, league finishes, infrastructure etc are great but the whole point of football is to win stuff, and they got a trophy over the line. We’re ahead of them in just about every way but you have to admire their couple of trophies in recent years and aspire to better that.

Did you enjoy the cup win in 2016 or was your enjoyment tempered by the fact that at the end of the day Rangers still have more fans, a bigger ground, better infrastructure, earning potential etc?

We shouldn’t just dismiss winning trophies. It’s what it’s all about, and I think that’s why so many of us reacted so badly to the semi final performances.

I’m not downplaying their trophy at all. I said good for them. They’ve done great.

It doesn’t change that they’re behind us in every way, as a football club. There’s nothing I’d change about Hibs to make us more like St Johnstone.

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2021, 08:49 AM
Out for 8 months with an ACL injury

JimBHibees
14-12-2021, 08:56 AM
Out for 8 months with an ACL injury

Shame had an excellent season last year

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2021, 09:01 AM
Shame had an excellent season last year

Yip has developed nicely

Wish him a full and speedy recovery