PDA

View Full Version : 12 Hibs Players Team Players Out of Contract

CMurdoch
29-03-2021, 12:12 PM
Generally every 3 years loads of players at Hibs reach the end of their contracts at the same time.
This next happens at the end of next season when the contracts of the following 12 first team players end:

Scott Allan
Christian Doidge
Stevie Mallan
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Sean Mackie
Melker Hallberg
Drey Wright
Alex Gogic
Paul McGinn
Steven Bradley
Jamie Murphy

Which of the players do you think Jack Ross will want to keep?

I reckon Paul Hanlon will be the best bet with possibly Christian Doidge and as an outside bet Alex Gogic

Hibernian Verse
29-03-2021, 12:15 PM
Generally every 3 years loads of players at Hibs reach the end of their contracts at the same time.
This next happens at the end of next season when the contracts of the following 12 first team players end:

Scott Allan
Christian Doidge
Stevie Mallan
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Sean Mackie
Melker Hallberg
Drey Wright
Alex Gogic
Paul McGinn
Steven Bradley
Jamie Murphy

I reckon Paul Hanlon will be the best bet with possibly Christian Doidge and as an outside bet Alex Gogic

As above for me. He seems to like Hallberg as a sub too, so possibly him if he's ok with not playing too much.

CMurdoch
29-03-2021, 12:16 PM
Sorry for messed up title.
Should read : 12 Hibs First Team Players Out of Contract

lord bunberry
29-03-2021, 12:20 PM

Scott Allan
Christian Doidge
Stevie Mallan
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Sean Mackie
Melker Hallberg
Drey Wright
Alex Gogic
Paul McGinn
Steven Bradley
Jamie Murphy

Out of that list I think we’ll keep
Allan
Hanlon
Stevenson
Mcginn
A lot will depend on form with others, Doidge on current form will struggle to get a new contract, Gogic is a bit of a strange one for me, I quite like him but we’re probably going to need a bit better to progress. Bradley is still young so he might get more game time next season and win a new contract. The rest will probably be allowed to leave.

Brightside
29-03-2021, 12:21 PM
So the end of next season? A bit cruel when we havent even started that season yet. :greengrin

CMurdoch
29-03-2021, 12:23 PM
As above for me. He seems to like Hallberg as a sub too, so possibly him if he's ok with not playing too much.

Problem for Scott Allan is he will be one of the top earners.
A big season for him next season.
Unless he can make a big comeback I suspect his considerable wage will be put back in the pot for new recruits.
Stevie Mallan in a similar boat. Lots of the wage budget with little return equals gone.

Allez Hibs
29-03-2021, 12:31 PM

Scott Allan
Christian Doidge
Stevie Mallan
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Sean Mackie
Melker Hallberg
Drey Wright
Alex Gogic
Paul McGinn
Steven Bradley
Jamie Murphy

Agree with this.

Add Scott Allan and Mackie.

CMurdoch
29-03-2021, 12:32 PM
So the end of next season? A bit cruel when we havent even started that season yet. :greengrin

Just chucking it out there to give us something to talk about during International week.
Some of the guys might move on in the summer and some will get offers of new contracts in December.
Aberdeen reach the same point in the contract cycle at the end of this season although with the exception of Hoban I suspect they will be delighted to get rid of the rest.

scoopyboy
29-03-2021, 12:35 PM
Assuming Jack Ross will be here to make the call!!!!

I hope he is but you can never tell.

147lothian
29-03-2021, 12:37 PM
It's something to think about before the midway point of next season for me, doesn't really matter at the moment, just my own opinion of course

CMurdoch
29-03-2021, 12:39 PM
Agree with this.

Add Scott Allan and Mackie.

Mackie is an interesting player.
Looked fast and strong when he played earlier in the season before being stopped in his tracks by injury again.
In the meantime Doig has managed lots of game time and has cemented himself in the team as Stevensons successor.
Hopefully he is ready to play again and can play in the early round of the Scottish Cup..
Injury rather than a lack of ability appears to stand between Sean Mackie and a good football career.
Hope he can catch a break.

Brightside
29-03-2021, 12:42 PM
Looked fast and strong when he played earlier in the season before being stopped in his tracks by injury again.
In the meantime Doig has managed lots of game time and has cemented himself in the team as Stevensons successor.
Hopefully he is ready to play again and can play in the early round of the Scottish Cup..
Injury rather than a lack of ability appears to stand between Sean Mackie and a good football career.

I expect Doig to be away either end of this season or next. At his level of performance we wont keep him for much longer.

Andy74
29-03-2021, 12:49 PM
Allan
Hanlon
Stevenson
Mcginn
A lot will depend on form with others, Doidge on current form will struggle to get a new contract, Gogic is a bit of a strange one for me, I quite like him but we’re probably going to need a bit better to progress. Bradley is still young so he might get more game time next season and win a new contract. The rest will probably be allowed to leave.

Doidge on current form would certainly not struggle to get a new contract.

Northernhibee
29-03-2021, 12:52 PM
I expect Doig to be away either end of this season or next. At his level of performance we wont keep him for much longer.

I really think we could get £4-5m for him this summer what with his age, most recent performances and potential.

CMurdoch
29-03-2021, 12:52 PM

A wee while before he gets his vaccine right enough :wink:.

Think the Hibs project will keep his interest whilst it continues to progress.

Once a fair chunk of the out of contract players above go at the end of next season he will be working exclusively with players he brought in or chose to retain.

If I was to guess on his shelf life I could probably see him leave for better things or be pushed out during or after season 2022/23.

mal
29-03-2021, 01:01 PM
It's a bit early for such a discussion. We've got two transfer windows before these players are out of contract; much will depend on recruitment, player sales, players coming through from the development team, fitness and form. Lewis currently seems to be back-up to Doig; any further contract extension would take him to age 36 or beyond. I suspect that we'll be looking to move Wright and Hallberg, possibly Mackie and some of the loanees, along in the summer rather than waiting a further year.

Centre Hawf
29-03-2021, 01:08 PM

Scott Allan
Christian Doidge
Stevie Mallan
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Sean Mackie
Melker Hallberg
Drey Wright
Alex Gogic
Paul McGinn
Steven Bradley
Jamie Murphy

I think those in bold are pretty nailed on to get some sort of extension mostly due to their ages and their current squad roles. The rest are a mix of "Needing to show something to earn it" like Sean Mackie and Drey Wright or "Lets see how the body holds up" for Stevenson or Scott Allan.

Paul1642
29-03-2021, 01:08 PM
I really think we could get £4-5m for him this summer what with his age, most recent performances and potential.

Would be great but I really don’t see us getting half of that unfortunately.

CMurdoch
29-03-2021, 01:09 PM
Allan
Hanlon
Stevenson
Mcginn

The attraction with Gogic is Ross knows exactly what he is going to get with Gogic and he is easy on the wage budget.
He was taken out the team a few times but we missed his combative powers and he was put back in.
Has played more minutes than most of the fancy Dan's around him this season so a lot of bang for our buck.
He is like a hammer in the toolbox. Better to use the finer precise tools on a job but sometimes you just need to get the hammer out to persuade compliance.

Peevemor
29-03-2021, 01:12 PM
Would be great but I really don’t see us getting half of that unfortunately.

Good, then we hold on to him!

For me he's by far the best prospect I've seen taking the step up since the so called golden generation (what were Hearts thinking?). I think he could easily go on to earn a £3-4 transfer, but it's a bit soon yet.

CMurdoch
29-03-2021, 01:16 PM

Probably one more season at Hibs.
That will decide whether he is below, at, above or well above Hibs level.
I would say he is at Hibs level at the moment with potential to move to the next level up.
As ever time will tell.

Diclonius
29-03-2021, 01:16 PM
Scott Allan - maybe
Christian Doidge - yes
Stevie Mallan - no
Paul Hanlon - maybe
Lewis Stevenson - maybe
Sean Mackie - maybe
Melker Hallberg - no
Drey Wright - no
Alex Gogic - maybe
Paul McGinn - yes
Steven Bradley - maybe
Jamie Murphy - maybe

Peevemor
29-03-2021, 01:17 PM
The attraction with Gogic is Ross knows exactly what he is going to get with Gogic and he is easy on the wage budget.
He was taken out the team a few times but we missed his combative powers and he was put back in.
Has played more minutes than most of the fancy Dan's around him this season so a lot of bang for our buck.
He is like a hammer in the toolbox. Better to use the finer precise tools on a job but sometimes you just need to get the hammer out to persuade compliance.

As I said on another thread (although everyone just ignored me so it's maybe complete nonsense), but I think Gogic is interchangeable with Irvine as opposed to Newell depending in the opposition/circumstances. Irvine is obviously more skillful, but for me they're more similar than Gogic & Newell.

1875Sean
29-03-2021, 01:30 PM
Isn’t Jamie Murphy signing for us permanently in the summer, is it only a one year deal?

CMurdoch
29-03-2021, 01:30 PM
As I said on another thread (although everyone just ignored me so it's maybe complete nonsense), but I think Gogic is interchangeable with Irvine as opposed to Newell depending in the opposition/circumstances. Irvine is obviously more skillful, but for me they're more similar than Gogic & Newell.

Yeah, different horses for different courses.
The joys of a balanced squad.
A player for every occasion.

lord bunberry
29-03-2021, 02:34 PM
Doidge on current form would certainly not struggle to get a new contract.
I disagree. I think he’s been poor this season. The Doidge of last season would easily get a new contract, but he’ll have to get back to that sort of form or I can see him leaving. Some of his finishing this season has been dismal, at times he’s looked out of his depth. Hopefully he can turn it around as he was great last season when he finally got going.

CMurdoch
29-03-2021, 02:34 PM
Isn’t Jamie Murphy signing for us permanently in the summer, is it only a one year deal?

Loan turns to permanent at the end of this season and he has a 1 year deal.
He will be 32 when his contract ends in May 2022.

MWHIBBIES
29-03-2021, 02:42 PM
I disagree. I think he’s been poor this season. The Doidge of last season would easily get a new contract, but he’ll have to get back to that sort of form or I can see him leaving. Some of his finishing this season has been dismal, at times he’s looked out of his depth. Hopefully he can turn it around as he was great last season when he finally got going.

Doidge hasn't been in good goalscoring form but he has never looked out of his depth IMO, not once. Always a part of every game. We wouldn't be 3rd place with an out of depth striker starting every match. He'll stroll into a good gig if we are stupid enough to let him go.

lord bunberry
29-03-2021, 02:47 PM
Doidge hasn't been in good goalscoring form but he has never looked out of his depth IMO, not once. Always a part of every game. We wouldn't be 3rd place with an out of depth striker starting every match. He'll stroll into a good gig if we are stupid enough to let him go.
Some of his finishing has been embarrassing, completely missing the ball at times. He’s never been the most technical, but as long as he’s scoring it doesn’t matter. He needs to get back to scoring goals imo.

Allez Hibs
29-03-2021, 02:58 PM
Now Doidge is getting it tight 😲

I would not be getting rid of Doidge.

CMurdoch
29-03-2021, 03:08 PM

I think Doidge has been consistent since he arrived.
We all expected him to be a freescoring striker and folk were annoyed when he wasn't consistently missing his one on ones with opposition keepers

So not a one on one goalscorer when he arrived and probably never will be. More a bundle the ball over the line sort of guy.
However, he is a great facilitator for Boyle and Nisbet, a pain in the arse for the opposition defenders and a good defensive player at opposition set pieces which is all good for the team although not always valued by some supporters when goals are scarce for him.

Jack Ross has seen the the good and the bad of Doidge and must have decided the good far outweighs the bad because he plays him almost every game.
It will be interesting to see how season 3 goes for the big guy. Hopefully he remains a consistent team player but can bundle a few more over the line.

Centre Hawf
29-03-2021, 03:19 PM
Doidge annoys me because he could (and should) have about 5 more goals to his tally with some of the situations he gets himself into. But I do think at the end of the day we're a better squad for having him. He reminds me a lot of the time of Grant Holt, he did a lot of nasty work that some strikers or forward players just don't want to do.

CMurdoch
29-03-2021, 03:45 PM
Doidge annoys me because he could (and should) have about 5 more goals to his tally with some of the situations he gets himself into. But I do think at the end of the day we're a better squad for having him. He reminds me a lot of the time of Grant Holt, he did a lot of nasty work that some strikers or forward players just don't want to do.

Guess what, if he had scored the 5 more goals you speak of he would be only 1 goal behind his total in league games last season with 5 games still to play.
Doidge has definitely missed the target this season with chances he should have bundled or headed in.
A natural goalscorer is more poised. Nisbefs goal against Celtic at Parkhead recently is a good example. A calmness not to snatch at the chance in a packed box before hooking the ball high nto the roof of the net past the Celtic defenders.

CMurdoch
29-03-2021, 03:55 PM
Turning the thread on it's head.
At the end of next season only 7 players in the 1st team squad will be under contract .
They are the saleable assets who may have been sold by then so conceivably this number could be lower than 7
This 7 excludes Gray and McGregor who should be retired from playing

The Magnificent 7
Nisbet
Porteous
Doig
Newell
Cadden
Magennis
Boyle

Centre Hawf
29-03-2021, 04:28 PM
Guess what, if he had scored the 5 more goals you speak of he would be only 1 goal behind his total in league games last season with 5 games still to play.
Doidge has definitely missed the target this season with chances he should have bundled or headed in.
A natural goalscorer is more poised. Nisbefs goal against Celtic at Parkhead recently is a good example. A calmness not to snatch at the chance in a packed box before hooking the ball high nto the roof of the net past the Celtic defenders.

That overall tally from last season is more in line with what we need from him. Ideally without the barren 2/3 months he has had in both seasons so far with us.

jeffers
29-03-2021, 05:02 PM
All ifs and buts with Doidge. If we lose Nisbet, I wouldn’t rely on Doidge to get us goals on a regular basis. Obviously I’d expect us to sign another striker, but I’d hope it would be one who can play up front on his own and not impact our midfield as a result of having to fit in two strikers.

Dashing Bob S
29-03-2021, 05:40 PM

Scott Allan
Christian Doidge
Stevie Mallan
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Sean Mackie
Melker Hallberg
Drey Wright
Alex Gogic
Paul McGinn
Steven Bradley
Jamie Murphy

Wouldn't lose sleep if none of them were re-signed.

MWHIBBIES
29-03-2021, 05:44 PM
All ifs and buts with Doidge. If we lose Nisbet, I wouldn’t rely on Doidge to get us goals on a regular basis. Obviously I’d expect us to sign another striker, but I’d hope it would be one who can play up front on his own and not impact our midfield as a result of having to fit in two strikers.

Doidge without Nisbet scored more than Nisbet gets now.

tamig
29-03-2021, 06:36 PM
Sorry for messed up title.
Should read : 12 Hibs First Team Players Out of Contract

You could have also said at end of NEXT season.

Irish_Steve
29-03-2021, 06:38 PM

There was an episode of "The Peter Crouch" podcast recently that dealt with stats.

Two metre Peter then stated that these days, a striker does not necessarily need to score as many goals as in previous decades. The analyst and manager will look at the strikers figures for the game and as long as he is contributing positively in other areas of the pitch, the manager will be more than happy

I think Doidge easily comes into that category

J-C
29-03-2021, 06:44 PM
No point in speculating on who we keep out of those because we don't know who the manager will be next summer.

jeffers
29-03-2021, 07:03 PM
Doidge without Nisbet scored more than Nisbet gets now.

Last season yes.

wookie70
29-03-2021, 07:33 PM
A bit early to really know but for me I would be offering new contracts to Paul Hanlon, Alex Gogic and Paul McGinn

Christian Doidge would have to be considerably better next year for another contract and I haven't seen enough of Bradley to know. I'd love to see Lewis finish his career with us and he doesn't earn much by his own admission so possibly another year if Doig is playing as well and continuing to develop. Sean Mackie has always looked like he could breakthrough but Doig has probably stole his place so I would reluctantly let his contract end.

Clarence
29-03-2021, 07:37 PM

I take it your name is an ironic one.

Northernhibee
29-03-2021, 07:43 PM
Scott Allan - depends entirely on how he is after a pre season. If he can hold down a place in the first team then aye.
Christian Doidge - renew
Stevie Mallan - release
Paul Hanlon - renew without a doubt
Lewis Stevenson - renew
Sean Mackie - If he can show a bit more then maybe
Melker Hallberg- Release
Drey Wright - Release
Alex Gogic - Renew
Paul McGinn - Renew
Steven Bradley - Renew
Jamie Murphy - Renew

B.H.F.C
29-03-2021, 07:59 PM
Pretty difficult to say really. Hanlon would be a definite and I’d be surprised if the club aren’t already looking at that.

Most of them don’t even play regularly for us as it is. Fitness issues, age to consider in some cases as well. I’d be surprised if more than a few of them are here the season after next. Some of them probably won’t even be here next season.

Magpie
29-03-2021, 08:05 PM

Especially if Clarke leaves Scotland.

Brightside
29-03-2021, 08:10 PM
I take it your name is an ironic one.

Call me Realistic. Tbh it’s all good if we are productising players that are going on to greater things. That means we are doing great.

Crunchie
29-03-2021, 08:20 PM

Scott Allan
Christian Doidge
Stevie Mallan
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Sean Mackie
Melker Hallberg
Drey Wright
Alex Gogic
Paul McGinn
Steven Bradley
Jamie Murphy

My picks would be Murphy, Gogic, Allan and Mackie, I wouldn't lose sleep at losing the rest.

What Jack decides on is anyone's guess, but I have complete confidence in the mans judgement.

Brightside
29-03-2021, 09:10 PM
My picks would be Murphy, Gogic, Allan and Mackie, I wouldn't lose sleep at losing the rest.

What Jack decides on is anyone's guess, but I have complete confidence in the mans judgement.

You’d lose Hanlon? Possibly one of his best seasons.

Jones28
29-03-2021, 09:30 PM
Allan, Hanlon and Mackie are the ones I would want to sign new deals.

I hope Bradley gets opportunities to impress.

Maybe LS will be at the stage where he wants to play more and move elsewhere? Maybe taking a step down the leagues to do so. He gets a contract if he wants it though.

Gogic might be worth a new deal.

The rest, meh. Doidge maybe. Hallberg really needs to show more in games. Murphy is someone I want to see more of before handing out new deals. Wright will be away in the summer. McGinn is good on his day but Cadden is making right back his own and I see him as a more long term option. Cover maybe?

Mallan will probably stay in Turkey.

Greenbeard
30-03-2021, 07:14 AM

Respect to Doidge for always giving it 100%. And he must be a bit of a nightmare for some defenders to play against the way he gives as good as he gets. But I would be looking to bring in someone else to play his sort game for whenever we need it. All the attributes of a carthorse - pace, touch, thick skin, long face, odd shaped head (given the direction of some of his headers), often has the blinkers on, but he gets the bit between his teeth and does what he's asked, always pulling his weight. On the plus side for the ladies, he's probably well hung.

Alex Trager
30-03-2021, 08:54 AM

‘Persuade compliance’

Sensational language use. 10/10

CJHibby
30-03-2021, 01:10 PM
Gogic and a fit Allan and Murphy for me.

CMurdoch
30-03-2021, 04:29 PM
‘Persuade compliance’

Sensational language use. 10/10

I try :wink:

Changing tack a little bit.
I wonder how many of the 12 will move on this summer instead of playing out the final year of their contract.

Ross is a very pragmatic guy. Nothing nasty but players he doesn't want are gently eased out and replaced with players he does.
He is patient and gives players a chance to impress, however, if they continually fail he quietly but decisively removes them.

This season he has shown that he has no intention of playing Gray in league games. Club legend but it's getting silly now after 2 seasons of nothing.
Horgan was gently eased out and replaced by Murphy.
Daz was brought in for a couple of league games and did very well but he's back in the stand. 36 in the summer but JR might keep him as cover for one more season if his knees are holding up.

Drey Wright played a lot at the start, failed to make the grade and was eventually hooked and has been on the bench ever since. Only plea in mitigation for Drey is JR played him on the left flank and he played on the right flank for St Johnstone. Additional problem for him now is the arrival of Chris Cadden.

Mallan struggled to get back in the team after injury and it appears he isn't in JR's plans. Hibs finances were helped when a Turkish side took on his wage. I think Hibs would be delighted if he stays in Turkey so they can spend his wage on a new player. However, I have a horrible feeling the Turks won't decide to keep Stevie and he will be back at Easter Road.

I think JR likes Hallberg but not enough to give him a regular spot in the team. 3 caps for Sweden and as a 17 year old was rated 14th best player in their top league. He appears decent but not special when playing for Hibs. Can't see any of this changing. A good squad player. At 25 he might decide he doesn't want another season as a bit player although JR may insist on keeping him given he needs a bigger squad for our additional European game load.

Stevenson still appears to have no fitness issues. Has finally been superceded at right back this season but has an important role in the development of Doig and Mackie and plays when required.

Scott Allan, I am undecided what JR thinks of him but he has a lot of ground to make up to win another contract. Very brave to go to Inverness because people including JR will judge his performances there. He then has pre season. Then it's sink or swim time. Hope he is fit and well so he can do his stuff. However, I do fear he is done and will a big wage in the stand but his guts to play at Inverness gives me hope.

Mackie needs to get fit, stay fit and play. Looks the business to me. Big strong and fast. Next season is big for him.

Steven Bradley like all young guys before him has a tough task ahead to get in the team and the pressure of the final year of his contract is added pressure.

Doidge, Hanlon, Gogic and McGinn have played loads this season so are currently in the box seat at to win new contracts but as we all know that can all easily change in the course of the next year.

Conclusion - Favourite of the 12 to leave a year early this summer
Must be Drey Wright. Chris Cadden fired the final nail into his coffin so he will leave if he can get a similar contract elsewhere orclose to it and Hibs pay the difference. Somewhere like Dundee Utd might be a good fit.

2nd favourite
Stevie Mallan although I suspect he will be on a good contract so it will be difficult for him to find a team to take that on so he may sit tight.

3rd favourite
Melker Hallberg if he decides another season of being a squad player is not for him

Crunchie
31-03-2021, 08:52 AM
You’d lose Hanlon? Possibly one of his best seasons.
You think every season is his best :greengrin. I just think it's time for a clean sweep of defence, as much as I love Stevenson I think him and Hanlon have been there long enough.
Dare I suggest we could do better?

Crunchie
31-03-2021, 08:54 AM
No point in speculating on who we keep out of those because we don't know who the manager will be next summer.
Do you know something we don't ?

J-C
31-03-2021, 09:39 AM
Do you know something we don't ?

Nah, I just don't see the point in discussing who will be here in over a years time. If Ross is here he may want to keep most of these players and add new ones, but a year in football is a long time and we have no idea what may happen, if Ross does leave a new manager may want his own players in.

If the thread is about personal opinion re these players, well that's another thing but the OP said which of those 12 do you think Ross will keep.

Smartie
31-03-2021, 09:58 AM
You think every season is his best :greengrin. I just think it's time for a clean sweep of defence, as much as I love Stevenson I think him and Hanlon have been there long enough.
Dare I suggest we could do better?

The defence has had a good season whichever way we look at it and Hanlon has been virtually ever-present. This has probably been as good a season as he’s had.

A few players are getting on a bit but those players are being naturally eased out. I don’t doubt the same will happen to Hanlon eventually but as things stand he’s one of our most important players. Proactively getting rid of him before he’s shown any signs of decline would be ridiculously harsh.

Crunchie
31-03-2021, 01:40 PM
The defence has had a good season whichever way we look at it and Hanlon has been virtually ever-present. This has probably been as good a season as he’s had.

A few players are getting on a bit but those players are being naturally eased out. I don’t doubt the same will happen to Hanlon eventually but as things stand he’s one of our most important players. Proactively getting rid of him before he’s shown any signs of decline would be ridiculously harsh.
He's had a few good games, a few bad, and a few average just like most of the seasons he's been with us. He's a solid enough defender but I think it's time for a change. At the end of the day it will be Jack who decides, a year is a long time in football :aok:

Crunchie
31-03-2021, 01:40 PM
Nah, I just don't see the point in discussing who will be here in over a years time. If Ross is here he may want to keep most of these players and add new ones, but a year in football is a long time and we have no idea what may happen, if Ross does leave a new manager may want his own players in.

If the thread is about personal opinion re these players, well that's another thing but the OP said which of those 12 do you think Ross will keep.
:aok: I agree

MWHIBBIES
31-03-2021, 04:55 PM
He's had a few good games, a few bad, and a few average just like most of the seasons he's been with us. He's a solid enough defender but I think it's time for a change. At the end of the day it will be Jack who decides, a year is a long time in football :aok:

He has had significantly more good than bad. The only real reason you think its time for change is he has been here a while? Aye, hes been here a while for good reason. Because he is a very good player at this level.

Crunchie
31-03-2021, 05:10 PM
He has had significantly more good than bad. The only real reason you think its time for change is he has been here a while? Aye, hes been here a while for good reason. Because he is a very good player at this level.
I'm sorry if my opinion seems to upset you, I just happen to feel it's time for a shake up at the back. Rocky will be off, looks like Doig will replace Stevenson, I think over 10 years is more than a while and it's time to move on.

MWHIBBIES
31-03-2021, 05:30 PM
I'm sorry if my opinion seems to upset you, I just happen to feel it's time for a shake up at the back. Rocky will be off, looks like Doig will replace Stevenson, I think over 10 years is more than a while and it's time to move on.

So basically just the time thing again? It's not a reason to replace a player at all. Hanlon has been very good this season.

Crunchie
31-03-2021, 05:38 PM
So basically just the time thing again? It's not a reason to replace a player at all. Hanlon has been very good this season.
Not every game he hasn't, nowhere near it. But we'll agree to disagree, I'll give you the final word :aok:

Allant1981
02-04-2021, 01:35 PM
Turning the thread on it's head.
At the end of next season only 7 players in the 1st team squad will be under contract .
They are the saleable assets who may have been sold by then so conceivably this number could be lower than 7
This 7 excludes Gray and McGregor who should be retired from playing

The Magnificent 7
Nisbet
Porteous
Doig
Newell
Cadden
Magennis
Boyle

Why should Gray and Mcgregor be retired? Mcgregor has been just fine when he has played this season and was arguably our best defender in the games he did play

Brightside
02-04-2021, 02:08 PM
Not every game he hasn't, nowhere near it. But we'll agree to disagree, I'll give you the final word :aok:

He’s been our most consistent player this season. Hard to argue otherwise.

weecounty hibby
02-04-2021, 02:13 PM
Imagine Barcelona moving on Messi because he had been there too long. Aye, he's still playing well but he's been here too long is a crazy argument. Unless we can get better in PH should stay. As with Lewis/Doig there will be a time where a better player is available but not just because he's been here for 10 years

Allez Hibs
02-04-2021, 02:39 PM

Wouldn't say he has tbh. He's had a few shockers.

Time to move on from him. Done with any pace running at him and we can do better. He's a leader by example type.

I'd say Marciano, Paul McGinn or Newell have been more consistent than him.

ekhibee
02-04-2021, 04:28 PM

Yep, totally agree with this. It must've been a bad one as well, there have been a few games when Doig wasn't playing and Stevenson's been drafted in. I really rate Mackie but if he is injury-prone it's hard to see how he would push the other 2, particularly Doig, for a starting place.

supermcginn
02-04-2021, 05:44 PM

If he was half the player you think he is he would be some player. His time at Hibs is coming to an end along with a few others.

Allez Hibs
02-04-2021, 06:52 PM
So Scott Allan is now cup-tied and already running the show for Inverness. Unbelievable.

Allant1981
02-04-2021, 06:55 PM
So Scott Allan is now cup-tied and already running the show for Inverness. Unbelievable.

What's unbelievable about it, he is a good player needing games. Or is this just you trying to have a pop at the club as usual

MWHIBBIES
02-04-2021, 08:37 PM

He literally cannot play for Hibs again this season so no, he isn't cup tied. He can only play for Inverness.

ancient hibee
02-04-2021, 08:55 PM
He didn’t run the show for Inverness but played tidily and got 70 minutes. We need more than that for the rest of the season and I expect we’ll get it from Scott next season.

green day
02-04-2021, 09:00 PM

Unbelievable?
Who do you think he plays for?

Take a minute or two to engage the gray cells......

Now, come back and tell us if he is "cup tied".........

Crunchie
06-04-2021, 06:39 AM
He's capable of too many basic errors for me, you only have to look at their goal against us last night, that was a teenage left back he was up against not a Morelos or an Edouard, and the boy waltzed past him because he sold himself too early in the tackle.

He's been a great servant to the club but I personally think we can do better at this stage in his career, another contract would be one too many imo.

easty
06-04-2021, 07:16 AM
He's capable of too many basic errors for me, you only have to look at their goal against us last night, that was a teenage left back he was up against not a Morelos or an Edouard, and the boy waltzed past him because he sold himself too early in the tackle.

He's been a great servant to the club but I personally think we can do better at this stage in his career, another contract would be one too many imo.

I’m glad it’s not up to you. Jack Ross, just like every other manager we’ve had will have him as one of the first names on the team sheet.

The young lad for them skinned Hanlon for the goal. If Doig did it for us to another teams defender, we’d say it was brilliant play, but when it happens against us, it’s cos Hanlons time is up?

Defence has been as solid this year as it has for a long time. Hanlons been the best part of it.

Since452
06-04-2021, 07:20 AM

He's far from running the show for them. He got 70 minutes against a poor Ross County and competed fairly well but was nowhere near running the show.

Crunchie
06-04-2021, 07:27 AM
I’m glad it’s not up to you. Jack Ross, just like every other manager we’ve had will have him as one of the first names on the team sheet.

The young lad for them skinned Hanlon for the goal. If Doig did it for us to another teams defender, we’d say it was brilliant play, but when it happens against us, it’s cos Hanlons time is up?

Defence has been as solid this year as it has for a long time. Hanlons been the best part of it.
Jack prioritised other areas of the park when he came in, I'm sure he's going to be looking at the defence next season, time will tell my friend.

easty
06-04-2021, 07:30 AM
Jack prioritised other areas of the park when he came in, I'm sure he's going to be looking at the defence next season, time will tell my friend.

We’ll sign a centre half. 100%. Probably sign 2 if Porteous leaves.

It’ll be Hanlon and another who plays.

The Count
06-04-2021, 07:34 AM
I was a McGinn supporter from the start.I also think think Hanlon has been a good servant for Hibs.However the question has to be how do we improve as a team next season and to that end would O Donnell and Gallacher both available on free improve us ??? Just asking the question not sure myself but good teams do evolve.

Brightside
06-04-2021, 07:34 AM

And he made about 40 great tackles during the rest of the game. .. He remains our best defender. If we can get better then we should - but their isnt a better LCB in our range right now.

easty
06-04-2021, 07:48 AM
I was a McGinn supporter from the start.I also think think Hanlon has been a good servant for Hibs.However the question has to be how do we improve as a team next season and to that end would O Donnell and Gallacher both available on free improve us ??? Just asking the question not sure myself but good teams do evolve.

I like both those players, but the 2 of them make up half of a Motherwell defence who’ve conceded 20 more goals than us this season. That’s with a very good centre mid in Campbell ahead of them tae.

We’re too quick to criticise our own team, even when they’re doing well.

The Count
06-04-2021, 08:06 AM
It was not meant as a criticism of our current team.Next season we will probably be playing in europe along with our domestic games.Hence we will will need a more in depth squad to handle all these games and injurys.Too many people just look at the starting 11 and not the squad.I. was not saying get rid of Hanlon and McGinn i was looking at making our squad stronger.

Northernhibee
06-04-2021, 08:15 AM

With his complete lack of match fitness, Scott Allan at this moment in time wouldn't dislodge Irvine, Newell from the team.

If he gets games under his belt, gets his touch and confidence back at ICT and comes back next season with a pre season, ready to challenge for a first team space then everybody wins.

Our current team is more than good enough to successfully conclude the season (as has been shown by our league position) and if Scott Allan going on loan to ICT means that we're even stronger next season, then doesn't that kind of mean that everybody wins?

I really, really don't see your point or your indignation over this non-issue at all.

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2021, 08:48 AM

You really blame just hanlon for the goal? Dreadful from all defence and midfield. A centre back should not be left 1 on 1 30 odd yards from goal. Pauls best option was what he did. Straight red if he catches him.

Since452
06-04-2021, 08:57 AM
I can't see Ross wanting to move on too many players who are currently running away with 3rd and have a great chance of reaching both cup semis. It's not a big squad. We'll need a much bigger one if we're going to be playing Thursday/Sunday for much of the first half of next season

Crunchie
06-04-2021, 09:18 AM
You really blame just hanlon for the goal? Dreadful from all defence and midfield. A centre back should not be left 1 on 1 30 odd yards from goal. Pauls best option was what he did. Straight red if he catches him.
I'm not blaming anyone per say, but I do think Hanlon could have stood up and tried ushering him sideways or whatever, as I said it was a teenage left back he was facing not an experienced attacker.
The best teams in the world can leave their defence exposed from time to time, an experienced defender will usually deal with it better than Paul did last night. I'm not as big a fan of him as you and some others, I think we can do better for the future is all I'm saying.

Allez Hibs
06-04-2021, 09:28 AM

Agreed, roasted for the goal and with any pace running at him. We can do better and should move on from Hanlon.

superfurryhibby
06-04-2021, 09:29 AM
Agreed, roasted for the goal and with any pace running at him. We can do better and should move on from Hanlon.

No. Utter nonsense. You'll need to up your game here.

Allez Hibs
06-04-2021, 09:44 AM

Naw. I don't.

Peevemor
06-04-2021, 09:48 AM

It must be quite complicated when, despite the good result last night (by anyone's standards), someone's trying to argue the toss and introduce negatives across a few different threads.

Allez Hibs
06-04-2021, 09:51 AM
It must be quite complicated when, despite the good result last night (by anyone's standards), someone's trying to argue the toss and introduce negatives across a few different threads.

Think you need to read threads properly before making your sly little digs.

Brightside
06-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Naw. I don't.

We all have areas for improvement. :wink:

superfurryhibby
06-04-2021, 10:00 AM

Yes, you have to admire their tenacity, their commitment, their indefatigability........However, there needs to be more subtlety and nuance, less obvious obviousness. Still, tbf, it’s all just a laugh innit.

J-C
06-04-2021, 12:34 PM
I'm not blaming anyone per say, but I do think Hanlon could have stood up and tried ushering him sideways or whatever, as I said it was a teenage left back he was facing not an experienced attacker.
The best teams in the world can leave their defence exposed from time to time, an experienced defender will usually deal with it better than Paul did last night. I'm not as big a fan of him as you and some others, I think we can do better for the future is all I'm saying.

It was Hanlon's fault for their goal, he came across and committed himself far too quickly, it was simple for the guy to stick it through his legs and onto the goals, all he needed to do was stand up and usher him one way or another, it was his only real mistake though.

ahibby
06-04-2021, 12:42 PM
If he was half the player you think he is he would be some player. His time at Hibs is coming to an end along with a few others.

Unnatural bounce of the ball on that terrible pitch had an effect on their goal. Concerned that when the game opened up it was QOS who scored. That can be partially explained by subs and how we blitzed them for thirty minutes after the break.

truehibernian
06-04-2021, 12:51 PM
Not sure Mallan will be here next season - I really like the look of Regan Hendry at Raith and think he'd be available as an out of contract player. Tenacious, good on the ball, few goals and assists to his name this season. Good age for further development and has done a decent 'apprenticeship' in the Championship. Allan Campbell would be another but think he'll fancy a move down south and may be slightly out our reach.

Unseen work
06-04-2021, 12:53 PM
Hanlon is the last person I would blame for that goal last night. He was the only player who was in his actual position.

Porteous is where you’d expect McGinn to be and McGinn further up. Keep in mind it’s a back 3 we play.

I also don’t see the big deal about it being a young player that done it? That probably puts him at an advantage.

If you’re running at a defender who is isolated and 30 yards out you know all you need to do is knock it past him and you’re through.

Wouldn’t be many defenders that would have stopped that 1 v 1 situation yesterday without a goal or red card.

CMurdoch
06-04-2021, 01:12 PM
Hanlon is the last person I would blame for that goal last night. He was the only player who was in his actual position.

Porteous is where you’d expect McGinn to be and McGinn further up. Keep in mind it’s a back 3 we play.

I also don’t see the big deal about it being a young player that done it? That probably puts him at an advantage.

If you’re running at a defender who is isolated and 30 yards out you know all you need to do is knock it past him and you’re through.

Wouldn’t be many defenders that would have stopped that 1 v 1 situation yesterday without a goal or red card.

At 3-0 and time running out it wasn't worth Hanlon trying anything high tariff that might have resulted in a sending off.
With 11 Hibs players still on the pitch it was nothing more than a consolation goal.

superfurryhibby
06-04-2021, 01:34 PM
It was Hanlon's fault for their goal, he came across and committed himself far too quickly, it was simple for the guy to stick it through his legs and onto the goals, all he needed to do was stand up and usher him one way or another, it was his only real mistake though.

The guy was running onto a pass at speed. Hanlon was the only defender anywhere near him. He couldn't just stand up and usher him away, the boy took him on from a flying start. All he could do was try to make a tackle and he never managed it. it happens to the best of them

I would be wondering why the midfield opened up like the Red Sea in front of him?

Brightside
06-04-2021, 02:44 PM
SPFL Premiership
Top 10 Most Interceptions
As at 06/04

Hakeem Odoffin 106
Jon Guthrie 81
Andy Considine 66
Jamie McCart 62
Liam Gordon 58
Paul Hanlon 56
Ash Taylor 54
Alex Gogic 52
Conor McCarthy 51
Joe Shaughnessy 51

Interesting stats.

Diclonius
06-04-2021, 02:46 PM

Playing well for Inverness and getting match-fit for next season or sitting on our bench doing nothing. Unbelievable that this is considered unbelievable.

Billy Whizz
06-04-2021, 02:49 PM
Playing well for Inverness and getting match-fit for next season or sitting on our bench doing nothing. Unbelievable that this is considered unbelievable.

Caley are playing tonight away at Morton

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2021, 02:51 PM

Just not true. Dunno where this rubbish comes from. If we get a better centre back he'd be alongside hanlon. It would take two better to replace him and its not gonna happen. Quality player at hibs level and captained us to 3rd place.

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2021, 02:53 PM

Finally someone with eyes. Spot on. It's like blaming their goalie for Doidges second.

Northernhibee
06-04-2021, 03:15 PM

The failing was from our midfield allowing a single defender to be isolated. Gogic posted missing.

J-C
06-04-2021, 03:16 PM
The guy was running onto a pass at speed. Hanlon was the only defender anywhere near him. He couldn't just stand up and usher him away, the boy took him on from a flying start. All he could do was try to make a tackle and he never managed it. it happens to the best of them

I would be wondering why the midfield opened up like the Red Sea in front of him?

There is that, I still think he sold himself too easily, we needed fresh legs in the middle and I also thought McGinn had another poor game, found himself too far forward down the right for a his position.

superfurryhibby
06-04-2021, 03:29 PM
There is that, I still think he sold himself too easily, we needed fresh legs in the middle and I also thought McGinn had another poor game, found himself too far forward down the right for a his position.

Yes, McGinn was way out of position for their goal.

Hanlon did well not to bring the guy down. A sending off would have been futile and damaging for the side. It was disappointing not to keep a clean sheet, but it did ensure I got two points rather than just the one for the HIbs.Net predictor league, so it wasn't all bad really:wink:

J-C
06-04-2021, 04:32 PM
Yes, McGinn was way out of position for their goal.

Hanlon did well not to bring the guy down. A sending off would have been futile and damaging for the side. It was disappointing not to keep a clean sheet, but it did ensure I got two points rather than just the one for the HIbs.Net predictor league, so it wasn't all bad really:wink:

It annoyed me as I had them down for a 3-0 win😡😁

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2021, 05:41 PM

Didn't McGinn win the ball for the 3rd?

Eyrie
06-04-2021, 07:13 PM
It annoyed me as I had them down for a 3-0 win😡😁

So did I.

After Boyle scored I wanted us to ease off, and after they scored I wanted one more so that I'd have the consolation of the correct goal difference.