PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

allmodcons
28-03-2021, 06:15 PM
One of my Dons supporting mates telling me he's off to Aberdeen.

Strange one if true and unlikely IMO but don't shoot the messenger.

SteveHFC
28-03-2021, 06:15 PM

He just a new deal did he not?

jgl07
28-03-2021, 06:21 PM

He's pulling your plonker!

Allez Hibs
28-03-2021, 06:25 PM
To be fair I wish he was and we were getting Scott Brown.

Sir David Gray
28-03-2021, 06:27 PM
He just a new deal did he not?

He's under contract until the end of next season.

MWHIBBIES
28-03-2021, 06:28 PM

ew no. Lewis is worth a thousand Scott Browns.

jgl07
28-03-2021, 06:31 PM

Not with the wages that Scott Brown will be on as a player who will be 36 this summer.

superfurryhibby
28-03-2021, 06:32 PM

Relentless you are.

Aldo
28-03-2021, 06:34 PM

Troll troll troll troll troll troll troll!

Dear o dear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
28-03-2021, 06:37 PM

Could we swap someone on the Aberdeen forums for this guy?

Allez Hibs
28-03-2021, 06:40 PM
Troll troll troll troll troll troll troll!

Dear o dear

Not trolling at all. I think Celtic will come to regret letting him go and not making him part of the coaching staff keeping him at the club. His presence would transform any club.

Was discussed on Sportsound on Friday evening.

Aldo
28-03-2021, 06:43 PM
Not trolling at all. I think Celtic will come to regret letting him go and not making him part of the coaching staff keeping him at the club. His presence would transform any club.

Was discussed on Sportsound on Friday evening.

Disagree. How would Lewis going to Aberdeen and Brown coming here transform us?

Allez Hibs
28-03-2021, 06:46 PM
Disagree. How would Lewis going to Aberdeen and Brown coming here transform us?

100% experienced leadership and mentality.

Demanding more from team mates and rallying them when the chips are down.

Aldo
28-03-2021, 06:49 PM

He’s been very poor this season by his standards and I’m happy he’s going to Aberdeen!

bingo70
28-03-2021, 06:51 PM
Not that I think there’s anything in this but would Glass and Stevenson been at Hibs together?

Allez Hibs
28-03-2021, 06:54 PM
He’s been very poor this season by his standards and I’m happy he’s going to Aberdeen!

I am meaning as both a player and coach behind the scenes say day in and day out at the club. He certainly couldn't play every game or even back to back games but will be interesting to see how it goes.

We have a few ageing players on contract and you wonder if long term it would have been better investing in Scott Brown. All hypothetical now of course.

Lancs Harp
28-03-2021, 06:54 PM
Lewis would have been a kid but yes they would have been for a season or so.

Allez Hibs
28-03-2021, 06:56 PM
Not that I think there’s anything in this but would Glass and Stevenson been at Hibs together?

They would have been. Glass was at Hibs until 2007. He was a quality player for us.

JXM73
28-03-2021, 06:56 PM
I'll drive him up the A90...

28-03-2021, 06:57 PM

Pathetic

Jones28
28-03-2021, 06:57 PM

Stay up there an all then

Aldo
28-03-2021, 06:59 PM
I am meaning as both a player and coach behind the scenes say day in and day out at the club. He certainly couldn't play every game or even back to back games but will be interesting to see how it goes.

We have a few ageing players on contract and you wonder if long term it would have been better investing in Scott Brown. All hypothetical now of course.

I’m glad he’s went to Aberdeen!

We have enough experience in the squad imho!

Aldo
28-03-2021, 07:00 PM

Wow!

Allez Hibs
28-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Not sure the answer to this but would Scott Brown be the most decorated Scottish player ever in terms of domestic medals won?

Serious question.

Any links to a table of such a thing?

Northernhibee
28-03-2021, 07:05 PM

He can drive himself. With nearly a decade and a half at Hibs, a POTY award under his belt, the bonuses he’d have received for being a double cup winner at Hibs and the fees for being one of the all time most capped players in our clubs history he’d be able to afford his own way up there.

Thankfully he’s a Hibs legend and highly thought of so he won’t be going anywhere.

B.H.F.C
28-03-2021, 07:10 PM

I’m sure when Lewis was doing the interviews around his 500th game, talking about his debut, he said it was Glass that settled him down and looked after him a bit.

allmodcons
28-03-2021, 07:14 PM
Could we swap someone on the Aberdeen forums for this guy?

Quality :wink:

Borderhibbie76
28-03-2021, 07:17 PM

Whilst your at it just stay up there yourself too

MWHIBBIES
28-03-2021, 07:27 PM

Go for it. Then give him the keys and he can come back.

Hibs legend

DH1875
28-03-2021, 07:30 PM
Is he not good mates with Brown? Could be something in it but hope not.

Malthibby
28-03-2021, 07:34 PM
Lewis: I like being the only living Hibs double Cup winner, I enjoy working for the community charity Paul & myself have set up, 500 games for the Hibees is something I'm immensely proud of & helping Josh as my long-term replacement fills me with satisfaction.
But anyone reading between the lines would know I'm a big Dons fan & I canna cope now that we are sticking it to them, especially as they're now managed by someone I played with 14 years ago. Not keen on Europe next year either, what with the COVID and all that.:rolleyes:

Mick O'Rourke
28-03-2021, 07:37 PM
Not sure the answer to this but would Scott Brown be the most decorated Scottish player ever in terms of domestic medals won?

Serious question.

In "modern times", i would mention another Celtic player,Billy McNeill .....
He won more medals than Broony
and possibly other Lisbon Lions did too.

Brightside
28-03-2021, 07:47 PM

What’s wrong with you man.

jacomo
28-03-2021, 07:50 PM

No need.

ekhibee
28-03-2021, 09:04 PM

Scott Brown has always been a far more talented player than Stevenson ever was, but I agree with you about the original comment being nonsense.

ancient hibee
28-03-2021, 09:08 PM
In "modern times", i would mention another Celtic player,Billy McNeill .....
He won more medals than Broony
and possibly other Lisbon Lions did too.

Think Bobby Lennox has most.

StevesFamau5
28-03-2021, 09:15 PM
To be fair I wish he was and we were getting Scott Brown.I wish you would go away but alas.....

Cheers Geoff

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

keep the faith
28-03-2021, 09:39 PM

Wow!! Just wow.

Stantons Angel
28-03-2021, 09:40 PM

What a stupid post this is.

its so disrespectful to our longest serving player, who has winners medals from both major cups in Scotland and who has just a couple of weeks ago signed again for another year and has played over 500 games for our club.

You will be sad when he does go somewhere else you will have no one to put upon till you find someone else. Mores the pity i say!

Its pathetic that the guy cant enjoy his maybe last season with us for looking again to be pelted by idiots like you

Have a word with yourself, wont you.

AltheHibby
28-03-2021, 10:04 PM
Even if, and I stress, if Lewis is getting beyond it, he's still providing a valuable service supporting Doig. We would be stupid to let him go anywhere, especially to a close rival.

DH1875
28-03-2021, 10:13 PM
So is he or is he not out of contract this summer

Hibbyradge
28-03-2021, 10:42 PM
So is he or is he not out of contract this summer

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/lewis-stevenson-agrees-new-contract

TelaStella
28-03-2021, 11:21 PM

Really worked well for him this season of course.

Problem you can have with such demands is that when you drop down a level after so long like he is about to, you can often find such expectations to become at times, unrealistic- given the drop in quality of team mates and abilities. There’s nothing wrong with the mentality, but hopefully Broony goes into the role with the right degree of pragmatism. No doubt he’d do well if so.

kaimendhibs
28-03-2021, 11:26 PM
Hope its not true. Would love Lewis to be a one team man and go into further roles at Hibs.
Anyone wanting him gone, Behave [emoji2959]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

oldbutdim
28-03-2021, 11:42 PM
What a stupid post this is.

its so disrespectful to our longest serving player, who has winners medals from both major cups in Scotland and who has just a couple of weeks ago signed again for another year and has played over 500 games for our club.

You will be sad when he does go somewhere else you will have no one to put upon till you find someone else. Mores the pity i say!

Its pathetic that the guy cant enjoy his maybe last season with us for looking again to be pelted by idiots like you

Have a word with yourself, wont you.

Well said.

MWHIBBIES
29-03-2021, 04:19 AM
Scott Brown has always been a far more talented player than Stevenson ever was, but I agree with you about the original comment being nonsense.

Brown is a better player sure. I still wouldn't trade Lewis for him. Wouldn't trade Lewis for anyone.

Crunchie
29-03-2021, 05:58 AM

Serious question.

Many of those trophies will be seen as diluted with what happened to the old Rangers.

Crunchie
29-03-2021, 06:01 AM
Brown is a better player sure. I still wouldn't trade Lewis for him. Wouldn't trade Lewis for anyone.
Me neither, as much as I didn't agree with the roles / contracts given to SDG and Daz, wee Lewey definitely deserves to be given that kind of position at the club imo.

Logie Green
29-03-2021, 06:11 AM
Many of those trophies will be seen as diluted with what happened to the old Rangers.

On that basis are you suggesting our Scottish Cup win in 2016 is ‘diluted’ as Rangers were outside the top division at the time?

JimBHibees
29-03-2021, 06:12 AM

You are on a bit of a roll are you not. Sounds like you can't stand Hibs. Maybe a result last Tuesday in the Highlands annoyed you a little.

Allez Hibs
29-03-2021, 06:31 AM
You are on a bit of a roll are you not. Sounds like you can't stand Hibs. Maybe a result last Tuesday in the Highlands annoyed you a little.

Not at all. I suggest you read my posts properly.

Allant1981
29-03-2021, 06:34 AM

Only ever comes on to have a pop at the club or manager, never seen when we win games

staunchhibby
29-03-2021, 07:06 AM
To the poster who offered to drive Lewis up the A90 please do not hurry back yourself.

WestCoastHibby
29-03-2021, 07:11 AM

What kind of Hibs "fan" are you to come out with something like that.
Lewis has got more talent in his pinky toe than any keyboard numpty.
Have a word with yourself

flash
29-03-2021, 07:14 AM
Me neither, as much as I didn't agree with the roles / contracts given to SDG and Daz, wee Lewey definitely deserves to be given that kind of position at the club imo.

Without wishing to disrespect anyone not sure we need another one of those strange long term contracts.

staunchhibby
29-03-2021, 07:14 AM
Maybe he has taken a wrong turn on the A90.Seems to have disappeared

WestCoastHibby
29-03-2021, 07:17 AM

Having a hard man persona and shaved head does not a leader make.
Won't detract from Scott Browns achievements of which there are many but how many fantastic players actually cut it as fantastic coaches. Not many overall.
I'll believe the hype when he wins medals as a coach. ( And I'll be first to congratulate )

Jones28
29-03-2021, 07:31 AM
Maybe he has taken a wrong turn on the A90.Seems to have disappeared

The guys a troll.

Since90+2
29-03-2021, 07:38 AM
Lewis himself could possibly be interested in going? His game time is likely to be very limited next season if Doig continues to develop.

Jim44
29-03-2021, 07:44 AM

Just like you drive others up the wall with nonsense comments like that.

RupertsBollocks
29-03-2021, 07:46 AM
Lewis: I like being the only living Hibs double Cup winner, I enjoy working for the community charity Paul & myself have set up, 500 games for the Hibees is something I'm immensely proud of & helping Josh as my long-term replacement fills me with satisfaction.
But anyone reading between the lines would know I'm a big Dons fan & I canna cope now that we are sticking it to them, especially as they're now managed by someone I played with 14 years ago. Not keen on Europe next year either, what with the COVID and all that.:rolleyes:Quality post.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
29-03-2021, 07:57 AM
If anyone doubts the leadership of Lewis Stevenson, look at Josh Doig. Josh has already spoken of the guidance that Lewis has given him, and there is no question that he has come on leaps and bounds this season.

A "leader" for way too many on here is someone who rants and raves all the time but it's anything but. It's someone who can take their own experiences and use those to help others around them. Someone who knows that an arm around the shoulder can be more effective than a bollocking at the right time and in the right context. Someone who understands what's needed to lift someone when they're struggling.

We are yet to see if Scott Brown can do that in a coaching capacity. We know that Lewis has helped other players become better. We also know that there is nobody in that dressing room who knows the club better than Lewis, and that he is also highly respected too.

Contrary to popular belief, this club isn't short of leaders.

Allez Hibs
29-03-2021, 08:02 AM
If anyone doubts the leadership of Lewis Stevenson, look at Josh Doig. Josh has already spoken of the guidance that Lewis has given him, and there is no question that he has come on leaps and bounds this season.

A "leader" for way too many on here is someone who rants and raves all the time but it's anything but. It's someone who can take their own experiences and use those to help others around them. Someone who knows that an arm around the shoulder can be more effective than a bollocking at the right time and in the right context. Someone who understands what's needed to lift someone when they're struggling.

We are yet to see if Scott Brown can do that in a coaching capacity. We know that Lewis has helped other players become better. We also know that there is nobody in that dressing room who knows the club better than Lewis, and that he is also highly respected too.

Contrary to popular belief, this club isn't short of leaders.

I would agree with that with his work ethic and professionalism.

matty_f
29-03-2021, 08:11 AM
No mention or hint of any potential moves in Longbangers’ interview with him last week:
https://youtu.be/_aIGeICadmg

MWHIBBIES
29-03-2021, 08:15 AM

Worked well this season right enough. Infact, has Browns Celtic ever actually won a tight title race? Either had it easy or lost it.

Brightside
29-03-2021, 09:04 AM
No mention or hint of any potential moves in Longbangers’ interview with him last week:
https://youtu.be/_aIGeICadmg

hahaha - any excuse to promote. :greengrin

jacomo
29-03-2021, 09:12 AM
Worked well this season right enough. Infact, has Browns Celtic ever actually won a tight title race? Either had it easy or lost it.

Right, so the titles they won easily should have been closer, because that would have proved he was a better player? That’s a new one.

Your views on Scott Brown have been aired extensively on here but give it a rest.

Since90+2
29-03-2021, 09:14 AM
Right, so the titles they won easily should have been closer, because that would have proved he was a better player? That’s a new one.

Indeed, a very odd take on it.

Allez Hibs
29-03-2021, 09:25 AM

Your views on Scott Brown have been aired extensively on here but give it a rest.

Some would have you think that Lewy is a better leader than Scott Brown.

Brightside
29-03-2021, 09:32 AM

Scott Brown is 36....why on earth would we be investing in 36 year old players. Our current leaders have got us to 3rd in the league - is Scott Brown going to get us to 2nd?

jacomo
29-03-2021, 09:32 AM

You can take a day off too.

Lewis and Scott obviously very different characters, on the pitch at least. Lewis has been a wonderful servant to our club and quite why you seek to denigrate him is beyond me.

ancient hibee
29-03-2021, 09:36 AM

Lewis and Scott obviously very different characters, on the pitch at least. Lewis has been a wonderful servant to our club and quite why you seek to denigrate him is beyond me.

Another low count poster emerging from many dormant years?

Allez Hibs
29-03-2021, 09:38 AM

Not denigrating or denying Lewy has been a great servant to the club.

I think it's a valid question to ask if we were getting Scott Brown as a player coach then would it improve us? I think it would.

Since452
29-03-2021, 09:40 AM
I like Scott Brown but it's considerably easier to be a "leader" in a one horse race in a team surrounded by multi million pound signings. He's decorated yes, but this is the first season he's had any real competition since Rangers were formed in 2012. Let's see how he gets on at Aberdeen.

As for Lewis, he deserves respect but his best days are behind him and he isn't our first choice left back anymore. If Aberdeen are looking to sign him it would make me feel more confident about our chances of finishing 3rd next season.

MWHIBBIES
29-03-2021, 09:40 AM

No, I'm just saying what actually proves he lifts guys when the chips are down? He has always had it pretty plain sailing IMO.

I wont give it a rest with posting my opinions, especially in response to those putting current players down and bumming up others teams players. I don't think we need Scott Brown and I don't think we lack the things he supposedly brings.

Allez Hibs
29-03-2021, 09:44 AM
Another low count poster emerging from many dormant years?

What defines a low post count?

Allez Hibs
29-03-2021, 09:50 AM
No, I'm just saying what actually proves he lifts guys when the chips are down? He has always had it pretty plain sailing IMO.

I wont give it a rest with posting my opinions, especially in response to those putting current players down and bumming up others teams players. I don't think we need Scott Brown and I don't think we lack the things he supposedly brings.

I get your point and he maybe could have tested himself in England and some might say he has taken the easy medals in Scotland. But, he still become one of the most decorated players in Scottish history and was immense against us in the 2013 Scottish Cup Final.

I would say its a bit harsh to criticise him for the competition he's up against as every season is different as we are finding out this season with the chance to finish 3rd. Why not do to Aberdeen what they have done to us by signing him?

Improves any club outside the Old Firm and I even think Celtic should have kept him.

Peevemor
29-03-2021, 09:53 AM
What defines a low post count?

Somebody that had less than 100 posts despite being registered for 18 years could probably be classed as having a low post count. The same person becoming fairly prolific, with largely negative content in his/her posts, might raise a few eyebrows.

Allez Hibs
29-03-2021, 09:59 AM
Somebody that had less than 100 posts despite being registered for 18 years could probably be classed as having a low post count. The same person becoming fairly prolific, with largely negative content in his/her posts, might raise a few eyebrows.

Can you define being negative?

Is it directly criticising the club players or management?

Or is it pointing out facts or stats and even opinion that could be fairly accurate but might go against popular opinion?

Or is it even providing some thought to challenge the club in areas we could do better and improve on?

Peevemor
29-03-2021, 10:01 AM
Can you define being negative?

Is it directly criticising the club players or management?

Or is it pointing out facts or stats and even opinion that could be fairly accurate but might go against popular opinion?

Or is it even providing some thought to challenge the club in areas we could do better and improve on?

I think I'll leave that to you - it's more your thing.

Allez Hibs
29-03-2021, 10:04 AM
I think I'll leave that to you - it's more your thing.

I'm not so sure, again you have come on to a thread and had a pop directly at users without getting involved in the thread itself.

Brightside
29-03-2021, 10:04 AM
This is getting a little bit Patrick Bateman now.

matty_f
29-03-2021, 10:07 AM
hahaha - any excuse to promote. :greengrin

:greengrin definitely!

matty_f
29-03-2021, 10:08 AM
Folks, we've seen one thread locked recently because of petty bickering, can we just all grow up a bit please? It's REALLY ******* tedious reading through it.

Peevemor
29-03-2021, 10:12 AM
I'm not so sure, again you have come on to a thread and had a pop directly at users without getting involved in the thread itself.

And I got a warning for calling you boring. Others have also questioned/criticised your input.

You come out with your "Jack Dross" nonsense and criticise Lewis Stevenson at every opportunity (even though he's hardly played this season).

We're sitting 3rd in the league yet you describe this season as mediocre.

As I said, I think negativity is more your thing than mine.

Peevemor
29-03-2021, 10:13 AM
Folks, we've seen one thread locked recently because of petty bickering, can we just all grow up a bit please? It's REALLY ******* tedious reading through it.

Sorry didn't see this before my last post.

And I agree, it does get tedious.

matty_f
29-03-2021, 10:18 AM
Sorry didn't see this before my last post.

And I agree, it does get tedious.
:aok:

stoneyburn hibs
29-03-2021, 11:28 AM
It'll be a sad day if Lewis was to leave.

I think he'll be at Hibs for a long time yet, even after he's hung up his boots.

J-C
29-03-2021, 12:04 PM
Lewis is helping young Doig and Mackie, he understands where he is in the big picture and is focused on helping the new generation. When Covid is done and we're back to normal, Lewis, Daz and maybe Gray will be looked at to do some coaching as they're doing it right now with the youngsters.

Clarence
29-03-2021, 12:28 PM
I like Lewis Stevenson both as a human being and a footballer. Thankfully the 900 Hibs managers that he has served under have agreed with me. Everyone else is entitled to their opinion but ultimately it’s the manager's opinion that matters and Lewis continues to be held in high regard.

Just Alf
29-03-2021, 12:35 PM
Quoted post deletedSometimes I wish there was a like button on here.... would have just 'pressed' it!

Luckily, for certain other posters, there is an ignore button :greengrin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

loanheadhibby
30-03-2021, 02:10 PM
Why wouldn't you trade Lewis Stevenson for anyone?

Allez Hibs
30-03-2021, 02:21 PM

Good question.

Northernhibee
30-03-2021, 02:26 PM

For me, at this moment in his career there’s an emotional reason - he’s a one club man who has won both cups and still has a lot to offer the first team. More importantly he is a great mentor for the likes of Josh Doig and Sean Mackie who both are able to play a more effective role in the team because of this.

He still offers Hibs a great deal and at this stage in his career for him to lose the “one club man” title and to offer the benefit of his experience elsewhere would be completely wrong.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2021, 02:54 PM

Hes a club legend, that's why.

loanheadhibby
30-03-2021, 03:06 PM
Hes a club legend, that's why.
Great lad and a great servant to the club.
I don't buy into this club legend status although of course he played in 2 cup winning teams.
These days he is a rare one club man but we all know that can only apply to players who are not really of interest to other clubs.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2021, 03:23 PM
I don't buy into this club legend status although of course he played in 2 cup winning teams.
These days he is a rare one club man but we all know that can only apply to players who are not really of interest to other clubs.
He is a club legend in every way. One of our most successful ever players, played in many big wins, gives his all, over 500 games. As clear a choice as anyone for legend status.

HFC93
30-03-2021, 03:28 PM

Do you know he hasn't had offers to move? I'm sure he has. The guy is clearly a club legend.

loanheadhibby
30-03-2021, 03:36 PM
He is a club legend in every way. One of our most successful ever players, played in many big wins, gives his all, over 500 games. As clear a choice as anyone for legend status.
More so then than Gordon Smith who won 3 league championship medals with Hibs or Lawrie Reilly who won 38 caps and 2 league championship medals.
Or the great Pat Stanton.
It's embarrassing that you are making this comparison. Lewis has been a great Hibbie and as you say has given his all over 500 games. You could argue that giving your all should be a given.
Although Lewis has played his part in many victories he was part of perhaps the most embarrassing result in the club's history and also the relegation squad of 2014.
I apologise to Stantons Angel for this post but surely we've got to be honest when discussing our favourite football team.

G15 Hibs
30-03-2021, 03:40 PM
You could argue that giving your all should be a given.

You could argue that, but it isn't.

nonshinyfinish
30-03-2021, 03:41 PM
More so then than Gordon Smith who won 3 league championship medals with Hibs or Lawrie Reilly who won 38 caps and 2 league championship medals.

Can you point out where anyone has claimed that Lewis is more of a legend than Smith, Reilly or Stanton?

Peevemor
30-03-2021, 03:43 PM
It's embarrassing that you are making this comparison. Lewis has been a great Hibbie and as you say has given his all over 500 games. You could argue that giving your all should be a given.
Although Lewis has played his part in many victories he was part of perhaps the most embarrassing result in the club's history and also the relegation squad of 2014.
I apologise to Stantons Angel for this post but surely we've got to be honest when discussing our favourite football team.

We can't say how Smith, Reilly or Stantons' Hibs careers would have panned out had there been the same movement of players as there has been since Bosman.

What we can do is compare Lewis to his peers, and especially those in the Scottish game.

Believe me, legend is a word I almost never use when speaking about footballers, but IMO Lewis certainly deserves the accolade in a Hibs context.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2021, 03:51 PM

Stanton lost 3 cup finals conceding 6 goals in each. Those were probably quite embarrassing results at the time. Got pumped off Hearts 4-1 after beating them 7-0 as well. Hes also won half as much as Lewis at Hibs.

See how easily the argument can be made to put down someone? Reality is, Lewis is up there with any of them. Its not embarrassing at all, I firmly believe it. Lewis is undoubtedly a Hibs legend. Stanton is a legend by all accounts, Lewis is too.

superfurryhibby
30-03-2021, 04:02 PM
Can you point out where anyone has claimed that Lewis is more of a legend than Smith, Reilly or Stanton?

No one has, it was a nonsense and odd comparison. It has to be said though that some legends are more legendary than others.

I love Lewis and all he stands for in the fans eyes. One club man and I really hope he hangs up his boots with Hibs and seals the full legendary status. No one has done this at ER since Eddie Turnbull ( that I’m aware of) and I’m struggling to think of any in top flight Scottish football since I was a laddie ( John Greig, Billy McNeil and more recently, Windy Miller).

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2021, 04:09 PM

I think you have just argued against yourself by saying clubs can have many legends.

Aldo
30-03-2021, 04:16 PM

Why is it embarrassing that Lewis is classed in the same bracket as the likes of Stanton, Turnbull, Reilly and co.

Lewis has something none of them has..... a Scottish Cup Winners medal with Hibs.

500 and counting club appearances
Scottish Cup winner
League Cup Winner
Scottish Internationalist
Model Pro

Lewis in my eyes is a Hibs Legend and always will be. He his up there with the others imho but for differing reasons (as are the others)

All about opinions mind!

B.H.F.C
30-03-2021, 04:29 PM
Lewis Stevenson is, and always will be, a legend at this club.

I thought he toiled last season and him being replaced at left back has been part of the reason we’ve improved defensively this season.

If he wanted to play regularly and went elsewhere, so be it. Arguably be better for him than his Hibs career just petering out.

andudare2
30-03-2021, 04:35 PM

Serious question.

Any links to a table of such a thing?Think Bobby Lennox has won more than anyone else.

Since452
30-03-2021, 04:50 PM
Tin hat on here but Stevenson has only played 500 games for Hibs because a bigger club hasn't fancied him. Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic thing to be able to say and he's won two cups during his time here and nobody can take that away from him but if he was such a fantastic player he'd have been away years ago for 2 or 3 million.

Peevemor
30-03-2021, 04:52 PM
Tin hat on here but Stevenson has only played 500 games for Hibs because a bigger club hasn't fancied him. Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic thing to be able to say and he's won two cups during his time here and nobody can take that away from him but if he was such a fantastic player he'd have been away years ago for 2 or 3 million.He could have had a move for a higher wage earlier in his career had he asked an agent to find him one.

WhileTheChief..
30-03-2021, 04:58 PM
Been a good servant to the club, but we’ve also been good for him.

I doubt he could have played at a higher level though and he realised that himself.

If he turned down moves for bigger money, he kept it quiet.

superfurryhibby
30-03-2021, 05:01 PM
Tin hat on here but Stevenson has only played 500 games for Hibs because a bigger club hasn't fancied him. Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic thing to be able to say and he's won two cups during his time here and nobody can take that away from him but if he was such a fantastic player he'd have been away years ago for 2 or 3 million.

You’re missing the point with that point.

No one is saying Lewis is an outstanding footballer. He wouldn’t make many folks greatest all time Hibs team.

However, everyone knows he is an outstanding character, a team player who gives his best every time he plays. He’s had his ups and down, won two cups, played his part in relegation, played his part in dismal cup finals. It’s the real deal, the highs and the lows, with everything in between.

We’ll not see another like him.

Crunchie
30-03-2021, 05:03 PM
He's a fantastic player in a Hibs context, the fact he's still here for this length of time playing under so many managers is a fantastic achievement in itself, never mind his 2 cup medals.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2021, 05:10 PM

That does not mean he hasn't been a quality player for Hibs.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2021, 05:13 PM
In years to come, people will talk about Lewis in revered terms. Absolutely no doubt about that.

And, his association with Hibs isn't over. I have no idea if he's got what it takes to be a successful coach or manager, but if he has, I am certain he'd want to work at Hibs.

It seems that people would rather bestow the status of legend on players who scored a few goals for Hibs before pissing off elsewhere to make money.

If being a one club man, with 500 appearances and 2 different cup winners medals don't make you a legend, then the term should never be used again.

jeffers
30-03-2021, 05:25 PM
In years to come, people will talk about Lewis in revered terms. Absolutely no doubt about that.

And, his association with Hibs isn't over. I have no idea if he's got what it takes to be a successful coach or manager, but if he has, I am certain he'd want to work at Hibs.

It seems that people would rather bestow the status of legend on players who scored a few goals for Hibs before pissing off elsewhere to make money.

If being a one club man, with 500 appearances and 2 different cup winners medals don't make you a legend, then the term should never be used again.

:top marks

bigwheel
30-03-2021, 05:36 PM

Post of the year [emoji122][emoji119]

weecounty hibby
30-03-2021, 05:39 PM
Blows my mind that people can be critical of Lewis. Has he had bad games, yes, has he had poor spells, yes. Has he played 500+ times for Hibs, winning a league cup and Scottish cup along the way, yes. Is he a model pro, yes. Does he always give 100%, yes. Is he passing on his legacy to Doig and others, yes. Is he following Hibs charity traditions, yes. Is he a genuinely nice guy, yes. All adds up to legend to me. Also I recall that when Ian McCall was manager of Motherwell he said he was desperate to sign Lewis and had made enquiries. So at least one other manager and club wanted him

cam75
30-03-2021, 07:39 PM
Listened to the long bangers pod cast today
Thought he came across humble when he said if he played 20 games in the top flight he would have been happy,I had to look up humility I thought it was the same as humiliated,every day is a school day,cracking pod cast and LS is a club legend 💚
Ggtth

matty_f
30-03-2021, 08:28 PM

Top 5 all time appearances for the club. Scottish Cup winner and League Cup winner.

If that courant get you legendary status at a club then nobody is getting it.

matty_f
30-03-2021, 08:28 PM
Listened to the long bangers pod cast today
Thought he came across humble when he said if he played 20 games in the top flight he would have been happy,I had to look up humility I thought it was the same as humiliated,every day is a school day,cracking pod cast and LS is a club legend 💚
Ggtth
Cheers, glad you enjoyed it.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-03-2021, 09:28 PM
Cheers, glad you enjoyed it.

You certainly got your “money’s worth” from Lewis. :)

Really enjoyed the listen - there was just a couple of times where I think you maybe brought him back to a point but I’m not sure he got to finish his point. Trying to recall think it was around the segment towards the end of the SCF2016. What a treasure trove of memories - you did a great job of navigating it!

I remember a sketch on Spitting Image! with the England football team I think it was Bryan Robson that just went around saying “it’s not really sunk in yet” and I kinda wonder if perhaps that’s a bit like Lewis’ career - and maybe he’s not tried to over-analyse it because he’s still trying to come to terms with things himself ;) and maybe if he deconstructed it it wouldn’t be the same - enjoy the moment!

He really didn’t seem quite in his comfort zone in interviews so to keep him engaged for so long is a tribute to you guys - well done.

Dunbar Hibee
30-03-2021, 09:37 PM

Brilliant post sir. 👏

matty_f
31-03-2021, 01:21 AM
You certainly got your “money’s worth” from Lewis. :)

Really enjoyed the listen - there was just a couple of times where I think you maybe brought him back to a point but I’m not sure he got to finish his point. Trying to recall think it was around the segment towards the end of the SCF2016. What a treasure trove of memories - you did a great job of navigating it!

I remember a sketch on Spitting Image! with the England football team I think it was Bryan Robson that just went around saying “it’s not really sunk in yet” and I kinda wonder if perhaps that’s a bit like Lewis’ career - and maybe he’s not tried to over-analyse it because he’s still trying to come to terms with things himself ;) and maybe if he deconstructed it it wouldn’t be the same - enjoy the moment!

He really didn’t seem quite in his comfort zone in interviews so to keep him engaged for so long is a tribute to you guys - well done.

Thank you, it was fascinating listening to his take on things. :agree:

.Sean.
31-03-2021, 07:14 AM

Best post I’ve read on here in ages

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 04:17 PM

Is he our best ever left back?

MWHIBBIES
31-03-2021, 04:25 PM

Probably not, no. Which makes his achievements significantly more impressive, because he done what many more talented players couldn't.

loanheadhibby
31-03-2021, 05:59 PM
Not in the top 20.

O'Rourke3
31-03-2021, 06:07 PM
Not in the top 20.List the top 20...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

stantonhibby
31-03-2021, 06:08 PM
Not in the top 20.

Troll

superfurryhibby
31-03-2021, 06:09 PM
Not in the top 20.

Legend, end of...

Malthibby
31-03-2021, 06:33 PM

:agree:

loanheadhibby
31-03-2021, 07:02 PM
List the top 20...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
You are right to ask me to name them and honestly this is not a pop at Lewis Stevenson.
David Murphy, Erich Schaedler, Ulrik Laurssen and for older fans John Parke were in a different class to Lewis.
Guys like Ian Murray were good enough to get a move to Rangers and a stack of others were much of a muchness with Lewis.
A great one club man who made the most of his ability but legends are thrown about too easily and Lewis is not one of them.

Peevemor
31-03-2021, 07:06 PM
You are right to ask me to name them and honestly this is not a pop at Lewis Stevenson.
David Murphy, Erich Schaedler, Ulrik Laurssen and for older fans John Parke were in a different class to Lewis.
Guys like Ian Murray were good enough to get a move to Rangers and a stack of others were much of a muchness with Lewis.
A great one club man who made the most of his ability but legends are thrown about too easily and Lewis is not one of them.That's 5.

Northernhibee
31-03-2021, 07:07 PM
A great one club man who made the most of his ability but legends are thrown about too easily and Lewis is not one of them.

There is not a chance in hell that Lewis Stevenson does not qualify as a club legend.

It’s out there that other clubs - including Rangers when in the Championship - were sniffing around Lewis as he’d a very dependable, reliable Premiership level left back. He’s been a part of two of the best days in the last two or three decades to be a Hibs fan, broken records, found himself in amongst our most capped players of all time, used his testimonial and his charity with Paul Hanlon to do a lot of good in the local area and without fail represented our club on and off the pitch with distinction like few others.

He’s a bonafide dictionary definition club legend. He’ll be talked about in fifty years time amongst our supporters as will that entire cup winning back line.

B.H.F.C
31-03-2021, 07:09 PM

You’re right that legendary status is thrown about easily, but it’s certainly not been easily obtained in his case.

Nowhere near as good as those you mentioned but it’s not all about ability. I’ve never been his biggest fan from a playing point of view but he’s definitely a Hibs legend.

loanheadhibby
31-03-2021, 07:21 PM
You’re right that legendary status is thrown about easily, but it’s certainly not been easily obtained in his case.

Nowhere near as good as those you mentioned but it’s not all about ability. I’ve never been his biggest fan from a playing point of view but he’s definitely a Hibs legend.

I think the original point was our greatest ever left back. I don’t think he is.

Hibbyradge
31-03-2021, 07:36 PM
I think the original point was our greatest ever left back. I don’t think he is.

You said Lewis is not one of the legends. He absolutely is.

Being a great player doesn't make you a legend.

Andy Goran is one of the best goalkeepers we've ever had, but he's never quoted as a legend. Steve Archibald was an extremely talented striker, David Murphy was a wonderful left back, Scott Brown, Leigh Griffiths all fine talents, but they're not legends.

Edit: In fact, John Burridge is closer to legend status than Goram and he was half the keeper.

B.H.F.C
31-03-2021, 07:45 PM

Andy Goran is one of the best goalkeepers we've ever had, but he's never quoted as a legend. Steve Archibald was an extremely talented striker, David Murphy was a wonderful left back, Scott Brown, Leigh Griffiths all fine talents, but they're not legends.

Edit: In fact, John Burridge is closer to legend status than Goram and he was half the keeper.

I know the whole legend thing is pretty subjective but I’d argue David Murphy and Scott Brown both qualify. Brilliant players who played a major part in winning one of the few trophies we’ve won in our history whilst making us a right few quid when they left.

loanheadhibby
31-03-2021, 07:45 PM

It’s a fair point. Legend status is chucked about too readily. Everyone has their own take on legendary status.

MWHIBBIES
31-03-2021, 07:46 PM

Legend. End off. Not one decent argument from you to show otherwise just cements it. You clearly dislike him and still can't make a case.

Hibs legend. Fact.

Crunchie
31-03-2021, 07:47 PM

Conrad Logan is an even bigger legend :greengrin. than Budgie that is

WhileTheChief..
31-03-2021, 07:48 PM
Depends on context too.

Tortolano, in his own way, is a Hibs legend.

As are Keith and Mickey. There’s plenty others.

Allez Hibs
31-03-2021, 07:54 PM

You make a good point. I'm not one of Stevenson's biggest fans but your right that he is a club legend in those terms.

WhileTheChief..
31-03-2021, 08:01 PM
Search ‘famous Hibs players’ in google.

It’s an amazing list it shows with pics of them.

Hibbyradge
31-03-2021, 08:28 PM
Conrad Logan is an even bigger legend :greengrin. than Budgie that is

Very true! 👍

Biggie
01-04-2021, 07:26 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and for many if us, Lewis comes into the legend category because he was/is a lion hearted player who bust his balls for the jersey.
He's also won 2 cups and a league with us (which helps!) , he's epitomised everything the supporter in the stand would want to see from a hibs player.
He's seen off many a player vying for his place in the team, he's been left out the team and never (openly) moaned.....he's fought his way back in...and you don't stick around the 1st team of a tier 1 professional club for 10 plus years without having the attitude/desire/heart/professionalism of a top pro footballer.
We can all relate to Lewis, he's lived the dream, he's a winner and there's not too many of them kicking about.

Best left back ?.....probably not...in my lifetime Schaedler and Murphy spring to mind, but Lewis has helped hibs achieve winning the Scottish cup, and showed the traits we all like to think we'd have expressed if only we'd pulled on that jersey.
In 10/20 years time no-one will remember the bad games he had, they'll look in awe at his record with us.

J-C
01-04-2021, 08:07 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and for many if us, Lewis comes into the legend category because he was/is a lion hearted player who bust his balls for the jersey.
He's also won 2 cups and a league with us (which helps!) , he's epitomised everything the supporter in the stand would want to see from a hibs player.
He's seen off many a player vying for his place in the team, he's been left out the team and never (openly) moaned.....he's fought his way back in...and you don't stick around the 1st team of a tier 1 professional club for 10 plus years without having the attitude/desire/heart/professionalism of a top pro footballer.
We can all relate to Lewis, he's lived the dream, he's a winner and there's not too many of them kicking about.

Best left back ?.....probably not...in my lifetime Schaedler and Murphy spring to mind, but Lewis has helped hibs achieve winning the Scottish cup, and showed the traits we all like to think we'd have expressed if only we'd pulled on that jersey.
In 10/20 years time no-one will remember the bad games he had, they'll look in awe at his record with us.

Best post on the thread and sums up most fans thoughts on Stevenson.

jacomo
01-04-2021, 08:55 AM
Best post on the thread and sums up most fans thoughts on Stevenson.

Agree.

Also - and I know it’s been said often enough, but it’s worth repeating - Lewis has played under something like 10 different managers during his Hibs career... and he’s proved himself worthy of the jersey to every one of them.

He’s not here out of sentimentality or because he is trading off one good season years ago.

matty_f
01-04-2021, 09:46 AM
Agree.

Also - and I know it’s been said often enough, but it’s worth repeating - Lewis has played under something like 10 different managers during his Hibs career... and he’s proved himself worthy of the jersey to every one of them.

He’s not here out of sentimentality or because he is trading off one good season years ago.
Everyone mentions the managers he’s outlasted, but he’s sent off a huge number of challengers for his jersey as well.

And on the point that he never moved on to a bigger club, that's definitely one way to look at it but you shouldn't underestimate how hard it is to stay at a club like Hibs for as long as Lewis has.

Look at how many players haven't made the cut or have been moved on in the time that Lewis has been here - it's not everyone that's moved on to better things, there are hundreds of players, I reckon, that have passed through the club that never went on to reach the level of Hibs in their career.

It's a pish argument, that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

worcesterhibby
01-04-2021, 01:01 PM
If you could choose who would marry your daughter, I would have chosen Lewis Stevenson. (I think she would have too...in fact come to think of it. It's only bloomin Lewis that spoiled it by never meeting her :grr::grr: bloody club legends !!!)

loanheadhibby
01-04-2021, 02:44 PM
Legend. End off. Not one decent argument from you to show otherwise just cements it. You clearly dislike him and still can't make a case.

Hibs legend. Fact.
It's not fact it's your opinion like many others.
How can I make a case that Lewis Stevenson is not a legend?
I have been luck enough to meet Lewis on a couple of occasions and have been most impressed.
I just think that over the years he has been a pretty average player for us.
Only my opinion.

MWHIBBIES
01-04-2021, 02:50 PM
It's not fact it's your opinion like many others.
How can I make a case that Lewis Stevenson is not a legend?
I have been luck enough to meet Lewis on a couple of occasions and have been most impressed.
I just think that over the years he has been a pretty average player for us.
Only my opinion.
Well, you are certainly entitled to an opinion.

His career with Hibs is well above average. He's been a part of 20% of the trophies hibs have ever won, including the Scottish cup. Unquestionably a legend tbh.

Iggy Pope
01-04-2021, 02:53 PM
If you could choose who would marry your daughter, I would have chosen Lewis Stevenson. (I think she would have too...in fact come to think of it. It's only bloomin Lewis that spoiled it by never meeting her :grr::grr: bloody club legends !!!)

I love Lewis and so does my wife.

Iggy Pope
01-04-2021, 02:54 PM

Why didn’t I listen to you more when I was younger?

Hibbyradge
01-04-2021, 03:18 PM
Why didn’t I listen to you more when I was younger?

Cos you're a bum.

Edit: Actually, you did listen to me. Still a bum.

Hibernianinc
01-04-2021, 04:52 PM
Another poster, who I can't remember, suggested this future Hibs team when Leigh was in his 'pomp' and rattling out as many kids as goals in -

Griffiths

Griffiths Griffiths Griffiths Stevenson

Griffiths Griffiths Griffiths Griffiths

Griffiths Griffiths

I had high hopes this would be the Hibs team to lift our first treble.

Hibbyradge
01-04-2021, 05:33 PM
Another poster, who I can't remember, suggested this future Hibs team when Leigh was in his 'pomp' and rattling out as many kids as goals in -

Griffiths

Griffiths Griffiths Griffiths Stevenson

Griffiths Griffiths Griffiths Griffiths

Griffiths Griffiths

I had high hopes this would be the Hibs team to lift our first treble.

Subs bench: Sproule, Sproule, Sproule, Sproule, Sproule

Iggy Pope
01-04-2021, 09:47 PM
Cos you're a bum.

Edit: Actually, you did listen to me. Still a bum.

Wullie Wallace. That was a man that caught your ears mind you. And you’re right,

Jones28
02-04-2021, 05:42 AM

What meets your criteria for club legend if not 500 appearances and 2 trophies?

Since90+2
02-04-2021, 05:46 AM
I suppose it depends how you define legend.

Lewis would not be making any Hibs all time greatest 11s or even squads on ability but his length of service, dedication and overall contribution to the club puts him in legend status for me.

Jones28
02-04-2021, 05:51 AM

Lewis would not be making any Hibs all time greatest 11s or even squads on ability but his length of service, dedication and overall contribution to the club puts him in legend status for me.

Yet he is our only player to have held three trophies?

Since90+2
02-04-2021, 06:43 AM
Yet he is our only player to have held three trophies?

Indeed.

He's not a better player than David Murphy or Ulrik Laursen though, or probably even Ian Murray. And that's just of modern day left backs/wing backs we've had.

Still a legend in my eyes but if I was picking an all time Hibs 11 purely on ability he wouldn't be making the squad.

Allant1981
02-04-2021, 06:54 AM

Lewis is a much better defender than he is given credit for, yip not as good as David Murphy but since I started watching hibs there haven't been many better left backs in the squad so you are doing him a massive disservice by saying he wouldnt get in any greatest 11 or even squads based on ability, in my opinion of course

Since90+2
02-04-2021, 07:15 AM
Lewis is a much better defender than he is given credit for, yip not as good as David Murphy but since I started watching hibs there haven't been many better left backs in the squad so you are doing him a massive disservice by saying he wouldnt get in any greatest 11 or even squads based on ability, in my opinion of course

Lewis has been a good player for us over the years.

I don't think it's doing him a disservice to say he wouldn't be in our all time best ever players squad whilst at the same time saying he is a club legend.

David Murphy for instance is generally regarded by pretty much all Hibs supporters as being a better player than Lewis, Lewis would probably agree, but he's not a club legend.

Brightside
02-04-2021, 07:15 AM
Big difference between best player and legend. No doubt Lewis is a Hibs legend. He’s never been the best LB but he’s a constant 7/10. Hence why he’s always been there.

Allant1981
02-04-2021, 07:21 AM

I don't think it's doing him a disservice to say he wouldn't be in our all time best ever players squad whilst at the same time saying he is a club legend.

David Murphy for instance is generally regarded by pretty much all Hibs supporters as being a better player than Lewis, Lewis would probably agree, but he's not a club legend.

If I was doing a best ever squad since I started watching them then I would have him in, I started going in 91/92 and have only seen 1 better LB and thats been Murphy, no doubt there have been better before my days but can't say how good as I didn't see them and football was completely different, I agree with most though, he is definitely a club legend

supermcginn
02-04-2021, 08:12 AM
If I was doing a best ever squad since I started watching them then I would have him in, I started going in 91/92 and have only seen 1 better LB and thats been Murphy, no doubt there have been better before my days but can't say how good as I didn't see them and football was completely different, I agree with most though, he is definitely a club legend

Ulrik Laursen was streets ahead of Lewis I'm afraid. Ian Murray was also that's why he earned a move to rangers and down south.

Allant1981
02-04-2021, 08:22 AM
Ulrik Laursen was streets ahead of Lewis I'm afraid. Ian Murray was also that's why he earned a move to rangers and down south.

Murray wasn't really a LB though was he, and he actually said he preferred playing in the middle, Laursen I always felt was a better CH than a LB, for me I'd have Stevenson in a squad at Hibs all day long, would I have Murray or Laursen in a squad, possibly but would have others first

aljo7-0
02-04-2021, 08:28 AM
He is not the best left back at Hibs in my time but I'd have him in my legends team. His loyalty to Hibs is legendary in this modern era and I'd want to reciprocate that loyalty by having him in my team.

Hibbyradge
02-04-2021, 08:34 AM
Murray wasn't really a LB though was he, and he actually said he preferred playing in the middle, Laursen I always felt was a better CH than a LB, for me I'd have Stevenson in a squad at Hibs all day long, would I have Murray or Laursen in a squad, possibly but would have others first

Laursen was a decent player, for sure, but he made plenty of mistakes too, some of which were directly to blame for us losing points/games.

I've no doubt that if he'd been around for as long as Lewis has, he'd be getting his (in)fair share of brickbats.

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2021, 08:38 AM
For me any player who's won a trophy for us is a club legend, and nobody can tell me any different.

The Modfather
02-04-2021, 08:43 AM
For me any player who's won a trophy for us is a club legend, and nobody can tell me any different.

When are Andy McNeil, Shelton Martis, Chris Hogg and Kevin McCann being inducted into the hall of fame? :greengrin

wookie70
02-04-2021, 09:15 AM
Lots of different things can make a player a legend. Number of appearances, how they conduct themselves and their dedication to the club, have they won anything, what is their personality like, goals scored etc etc. He has the most appearances of any Hibs player post Bosman. He has never played at anything under 100% and despite not supporting Hibs originally he clearly bleeds green now. He has a rare blend for a footballer of being humble, quiet, appreciative but also driven and determined. He overcame a decade of fans not liking him(I'll exclude myself here as I always rated him) and became a first choice pick for a large number of managers. It is subtle but he has great touch, keeps the ball well, never shys a tackle and is very tough and injury resistant. If value for money was also a legend criteria I suspect he would be up the top of that list too. He has also done what very few Hibs players have done, and none in the modern era, by winning the two trophies. He speaks so well about Hibs and in terms of role models I doubt anyone could point their kids at a better person to follow.

He isn't as good a player as some of the left backs I have watched in the last 45 years but the best of them like Murphy and Laursen never really stayed around long so have no legend status to my mind. Murphy winning a Trophy isn't enough for legend status on its own for me but winning goals at Ibrox would add to the status.

Lewis is a legend in my mind. It doesn't really take much thinking about as he has done things other haven't and went about it in a very professional manner.

Jones28
02-04-2021, 09:34 AM
When are Andy McNeil, Shelton Martis, Chris Hogg and Kevin McCann being inducted into the hall of fame? :greengrin

All played their part, more so than Chris Dagnall who has a medal 😂

scoopyboy
02-04-2021, 09:36 AM

That's how I feel as well.

Contribution as a player, appearances, dedication and honours gets him legendary status.

However wouldn't make any top hand picked Hibs team which in itself is no disgrace.

bigwheel
02-04-2021, 10:02 AM
Just listened to the longbangers chat with Lewis..great stories and insights - what a star that guy is - and well done to the podcast crew - great listen [emoji106][emoji122]

matty_f
02-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Just listened to the longbangers chat with Lewis..great stories and insights - what a star that guy is - and well done to the podcast crew - great listen [emoji106][emoji122]

Thanks!

Pete70
02-04-2021, 11:36 AM
Lots of different things can make a player a legend. Number of appearances, how they conduct themselves and their dedication to the club, have they won anything, what is their personality like, goals scored etc etc. He has the most appearances of any Hibs player post Bosman. He has never played at anything under 100% and despite not supporting Hibs originally he clearly bleeds green now. He has a rare blend for a footballer of being humble, quiet, appreciative but also driven and determined. He overcame a decade of fans not liking him(I'll exclude myself here as I always rated him) and became a first choice pick for a large number of managers. It is subtle but he has great touch, keeps the ball well, never shys a tackle and is very tough and injury resistant. If value for money was also a legend criteria I suspect he would be up the top of that list too. He has also done what very few Hibs players have done, and none in the modern era, by winning the two trophies. He speaks so well about Hibs and in terms of role models I doubt anyone could point their kids at a better person to follow.

He isn't as good a player as some of the left backs I have watched in the last 45 years but the best of them like Murphy and Laursen never really stayed around long so have no legend status to my mind. Murphy winning a Trophy isn't enough for legend status on its own for me but winning goals at Ibrox would add to the status.

Lewis is a legend in my mind. It doesn't really take much thinking about as he has done things other haven't and went about it in a very professional manner.

Excellent post and I couldn't agree more.

I would rank Lewis as being probably only the 3rd or 4th best left back I've seen in my time but in my opinion, he is definitely in the top 10 list of club legends.

hibsbollah
02-04-2021, 11:44 AM

:agree: Nothing else needs to be said really.

jgl07
02-04-2021, 08:54 PM

If Murphy had stayed with Hibs for ten years plus, I am sure he would be regarded as a legend.

B.H.F.C
02-04-2021, 09:02 PM
If Murphy had stayed with Hibs for ten years plus, I am sure he would be regarded as a legend.

Cup winner and a brilliant player. Legend.

Jones28
02-04-2021, 09:44 PM
Scotland cap too

Northernhibee
02-04-2021, 10:00 PM
To just dismiss him as just a player with a great attitude and work rate does him a disservice too. Simon Murray showed that will get you a place at Hibs but it won’t keep you here.

It’s taken one of the most exciting young prospects in this country who has grabbed the attention of top teams like Arsenal to dislodge him. There have been dozens of contenders to take his place in the team and he’s seen them off - and the one who broke that trend Lewis has supported at every step of the way.

We’re going to miss Lewis big time when he goes. A very good player, an even better human being and a legendary Hibee.

B.H.F.C
02-04-2021, 10:18 PM
To just dismiss him as just a player with a great attitude and work rate does him a disservice too. Simon Murray showed that will get you a place at Hibs but it won’t keep you here.

It’s taken one of the most exciting young prospects in this country who has grabbed the attention of top teams like Arsenal to dislodge him. There have been dozens of contenders to take his place in the team and he’s seen them off - and the one who broke that trend Lewis has supported at every step of the way.

We’re going to miss Lewis big time when he goes. A very good player, an even better human being and a legendary Hibee.

It has taken a great young prospect to dislodge him. However, I don’t think there has been as many contenders for his place as is thought because, for the first half of his Hibs career, he never really had a position to call his own. It was only really when Stubbs came in that the left back position became his. Prior to that, he played pretty much all over the pitch and his versatility really helped him.

I can’t actually believe there is a debate about his legendary status but, at the same time, I still wouldn’t describe him as a very good player either.

matty_f
03-04-2021, 08:52 AM
It has taken a great young prospect to dislodge him. However, I don’t think there has been as many contenders for his place as is thought because, for the first half of his Hibs career, he never really had a position to call his own. It was only really when Stubbs came in that the left back position became his. Prior to that, he played pretty much all over the pitch and his versatility really helped him.

I can’t actually believe there is a debate about his legendary status but, at the same time, I still wouldn’t describe him as a very good player either.
Anyone who has had a career the length of Lewis’ at a club like Hibs is a very good player. You can’t play at that level for that long if you’re not.

WhileTheChief..
03-04-2021, 09:04 AM
You sure about that?

I’m not directing this at Stevenson, but there have been hundreds of players who have had a career at the top of Scottish football that could at best be described as average.

Is staying at one club a sign that you’re any better or worse than players that move a few times?

If they were really good they’d have fancied their chances down south or abroad in most cases I’d have thought.

Clearly there are exceptions like Scot Brown but most decent players that Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen have, move on after a few years to bigger things.

Allant1981
03-04-2021, 09:08 AM
You sure about that?

I’m not directing this at Stevenson, but there have been hundreds of players who have had a career at the top of Scottish football that could at best be described as average.

Is staying at one club a sign that you’re any better or worse than players that move a few times?

If they were really good they’d have fancied their chances down south or abroad in most cases I’d have thought.

Clearly there are exceptions like Scot Brown but most decent players that Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen have, move on after a few years to bigger things.

So because players don't move abroad or go down south they aren't really good players, nonsense, maybe some folk enjoy earning a couple of grand a week which is still a very good wage in the grand scheme of things and staying in an area they like.

WhileTheChief..
03-04-2021, 09:39 AM
That’s not what I’m saying at all, wind your neck in.

Allant1981
03-04-2021, 09:44 AM
That’s not what I’m saying at all, wind your neck in.

What's with the attitude when someone questions your post? that's exactly what you said so I suggest you wind your neck in and if you don't want a post replied to then don't post

Peevemor
03-04-2021, 10:27 AM
What's with the attitude when someone questions your post? that's exactly what you said so I suggest you wind your neck in and if you don't want a post replied to then don't postI got it the other day too. I think he's got his grumpy trousers on this week.

Allant1981
03-04-2021, 10:53 AM
I got it the other day too. I think he's got his grumpy trousers on this week.

😁

WhileTheChief..
03-04-2021, 10:54 AM
What's with the attitude when someone questions your post? that's exactly what you said so I suggest you wind your neck in and if you don't want a post replied to then don't post

You came in with the attitude, I never said anything was a hard and fast rule, I just commented that most decent players move on at some point.

Fine if you disagree, but why jump on with ‘nonsense....”. Can’t you just chat without arguing?

Allant1981
03-04-2021, 10:57 AM
You came in with the attitude, I never said anything was a hard and fast rule, I just commented that most decent players move on at some point.

Fine if you disagree, but why jump on with ‘nonsense....”. Can’t you just chat without arguing?

I didn't come in with any attitude believe me, you stated if they were really good then players would leave, not the case for hundreds of players so clearly is nonsense

B.H.F.C
03-04-2021, 11:01 AM
Anyone who has had a career the length of Lewis’ at a club like Hibs is a very good player. You can’t play at that level for that long if you’re not.

Disagree. I don’t think he’s ever been a very good player but he’s been an important part of the squad. I

I’m not intending to slaughter him or anything like that because, as I say, his legendary status isn’t in question for me. I’ve just never thought he’s what you’d call a very good player. As others have mentioned there are plenty players who make a career in Scottish football who I wouldn’t term as very good, even relative to the level.

WhileTheChief..
03-04-2021, 11:06 AM
Again, I wasn’t stating a fact, I was only passing comment ffs.

I stand by my view that most decent players move or in their career and aren’t one club players.

That one is a fact. It’s the whole reason we’ve discussing Stevenson as it’s such a rarity.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2021, 11:10 AM
Disagree. I don’t think he’s ever been a very good player but he’s been an important part of the squad. I

I’m not intending to slaughter him or anything like that because, as I say, his legendary status isn’t in question for me. I’ve just never thought he’s what you’d call a very good player. As others have mentioned there are plenty players who make a career in Scottish football who I wouldn’t term as very good, even relative to the level.

About a dozen managers disagree with you.

Playing for all those years for Hibs means he'll have witnessed several squad rebuilds.

I couldn't even guess how many players have been let go in that time, but Lewis always had his contract extended.

Of course there have been some journeymen in Scottish football, but they have survived by moving clubs and accepting wage reductions.

Lewis does not fall into that category. He's not a superstar, but he's been invaluable to this club.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2021, 11:11 AM
Again, I wasn’t stating a fact, I was only passing comment ffs.

I stand by my view that most decent players move or in their career and aren’t one club players.

That one is a fact. It’s the whole reason we’ve discussing Stevenson as it’s such a rarity.

All hopeless players move on too.

WhileTheChief..
03-04-2021, 11:15 AM

Of course, I don’t see the argument at all.

If they’re crap we get rid and if they’re really good they move on for more money or to a bigger club.

It’s always been this way as far as I can remember. Dunno why it’s being called nonsense now!!

Stevenson and Hanlon are exceptions obviously.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2021, 11:35 AM
Of course, I don’t see the argument at all.

If they’re crap we get rid and if they’re really good they move on for more money or to a bigger club.

It’s always been this way as far as I can remember. Dunno why it’s being called nonsense now!!

Stevenson and Hanlon are exceptions obviously.

I agree with you.

The reason it's being challenged is because it's amongst posts which are deemed as critical of LS even though you said that yours wasn't.

I am certain that both Lewis and Paul have had opportunities to leave Hibs, trouser signing on fees and continue to perform at a consistently high level, but for someone else.

But they're Hibs fans and they decided that staying was more important to them than a short term boost to their bank balances.

Loads of fans say that it would be their dream to play for Hibs, and in Paul's case, captain the club. These boys have done exactly that.

B.H.F.C
03-04-2021, 11:45 AM
About a dozen managers disagree with you.

Playing for all those years for Hibs means he'll have witnessed several squad rebuilds.

I couldn't even guess how many players have been let go in that time, but Lewis always had his contract extended.

Of course there have been some journeymen in Scottish football, but they have survived by moving clubs and accepting wage reductions.

Lewis does not fall into that category. He's not a superstar, but he's been invaluable to this club.

Disagree with what though? I acknowledged his importance to the squad but that doesn’t necessarily mean every manager thinks he’s a very good player. There are some obvious reasons why managers would keep him but he’s went through periods of only been given a years contract at a time, not playing, not nailing down a regular position and so on.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2021, 11:52 AM
Disagree with what though? I acknowledged his importance to the squad but that doesn’t necessarily mean every manager thinks he’s a very good player. There are some obvious reasons why managers would keep him but he’s went through periods of only been given a years contract at a time, not playing, not nailing down a regular position and so on.

I think without exception, every manager has said that Lewis is a very good player. You don't think he is. That's the disagreement.

You're allowed your opinions obvs.

This is going to be my final post on this thread because it's just going round in daft wee circles. 🤞

I think he's a very good player, that he's been a huge asset to the club for a few months short of 16 years, and that he's a real proper legend in his own lifetime.

Anyone who disagrees with me is entitled to do so, but they couldn't be more wrong.

Hanging's too good for them.

J-C
03-04-2021, 12:42 PM
Lewis will never be the superstar player and he'll never be just a bog standard squad players, he's been a very very steady decent pro nearly all his career, he'll be a 7 out of 10 nearly every week with only a handful of below standard games few and far between.

speedy_gonzales
03-04-2021, 01:46 PM

Yup, but usually after being dropped to the bench or a spell with the reserves.

Highwayman
03-04-2021, 02:25 PM
Lewis will never be the superstar player and he'll never be just a bog standard squad players, he's been a very very steady decent pro nearly all his career, he'll be a 7 out of 10 nearly every week with only a handful of below standard games few and far between.

Your summary says it all and would also apply to Paul Hanlon.
Both are are model professionals and low maintenance.
Managers have enough problems without having prima donnas moaning and whining and going in the huff if things are not going there way.
IMO that’s why Lewis and Paul have been so long at ER.