PDA

View Full Version : Israel v Scotland

Pages : [1] 2

Billy Whizz
28-03-2021, 11:17 AM
For me tonight’s game is a must win, if we fancy our chances of getting in the top 2
Denmark won in Israel on Thursday, so we need to keep pace with them
Any early team news, injuries etc?

Mark05
28-03-2021, 11:55 AM
If we want to finish top we have to win tonight. Scotland need to start quickly tonight, I thought it took them about half an hour to get going against Austria.After that I thought they played pretty well, don't know of any team news,I don't think there is any injuries.personally would like to see Ryan Fraser up front with dykes he could cause them problems with his pace

Hibbyradge
28-03-2021, 12:02 PM
A draw would be a decent result and it's the most likely outcome.

Beating them at Hampden is a must.

erin go bragh
28-03-2021, 12:06 PM

2 draws out of our first 2 is not good enough imo.
Better off winning one and losing one . It’s draws that kill you in this group format.

mcohibs
28-03-2021, 12:22 PM
Need a win tonight. Got to start more positively than we did on Thursday

bingo70
28-03-2021, 12:23 PM

I think if we want to win the group we need to win tonight.

Coming second would still be decent though and if we draw tonight then that’s still very much a possibility.

Even if we lose tonight nothings written off, just means we need to beat Denmark probably twice which seems unlikely.

SteveHFC
28-03-2021, 12:24 PM
Same team as Thursday with Adams in for Christie.

bingo70
28-03-2021, 12:27 PM
Same team as Thursday with Adams in for Christie.

I’d like to see SJM playing a more advanced role.

Billy Whizz
28-03-2021, 12:29 PM
I’d like to see SJM playing a more advanced role.

Me too

Hibbyradge
28-03-2021, 12:36 PM
I think if we want to win the group we need to win tonight.

Coming second would still be decent though and if we draw tonight then that’s still very much a possibility.

Even if we lose tonight nothings written off, just means we need to beat Denmark probably twice which seems unlikely.

I don't think we have any chance of winning the group. Austria and Denmark are very strong and our best hope is that one of them dominates the other to open a door for us to sneak through.

But, this is football so just about anything is possible so I'll hedge my bets as usual!

bingo70
28-03-2021, 12:38 PM
I don't think we have any chance of winning the group. Austria and Denmark are very strong and our best hope is that one of them dominates the other to open a door for us to sneak through.

But, this is football so just about anything is possible so I'll hedge my bets as usual!

I didn’t think Austria were any great shakes the other night?

Hibbyradge
28-03-2021, 12:41 PM
I didn’t think Austria were any great shakes the other night?

They were away from home and they were better than us, imo.

Clarke was pleased with the draw rather than pissed off that we didn't get all 3.

Billy Whizz
28-03-2021, 12:48 PM
Our fate will be decided in September, but getting 3 points tonight is important

Next 4 are
Wednesday home to Faroes
Wednesday 1st September away to Denmark
Saturday 4th September home to Maldova
Tuesday 7th September away to Austria

ancient hibee
28-03-2021, 12:55 PM

Clarke was pleased with the draw rather than pissed off that we didn't get all 3.

Of course. We were set up not to lose rather than to win so a draw was good. Forrest being back in September could make a big difference.

bingo70
28-03-2021, 12:58 PM

I think that was just the way the game went, when you’re a goal down with about 10 minutes to go, everybody wouldn’t pleased with a draw.

Austria aren’t mugs but I don’t see them being on a different level to us. If we play them 10 times I’d guess most of them would be draws.

I don’t know anything about this Denmark side.

Onion
28-03-2021, 01:03 PM
A win needed tonight.

Can anyone explain why England games are live on terrestrial STV, while we are forced to pay SKY to watch Scotland ?

green day
28-03-2021, 01:06 PM
A win needed tonight.

Can anyone explain why England games are live on terrestrial STV, while we are forced to pay SKY to watch Scotland ?

Presumably because ITV paid what was required for the England matches, and Sky paid the amount that Scotland wanted to cover ours?

LeithMike
28-03-2021, 01:07 PM
Don't think the back 3 suits us. Tierney seems to do well but Robertson always suffers. 4-5-1/4-3-3. That should also give McGinn far more freedom in midfield. In the 3-4-3 he was stuck holding with McTominay and couldn't get forward. An extra man in the middle will let him use his best attribute - his energy.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
28-03-2021, 01:16 PM
Don't think the back 3 suits us. Tierney seems to do well but Robertson always suffers. 4-5-1/4-3-3. That should also give McGinn far more freedom in midfield. In the 3-4-3 he was stuck holding with McTominay and couldn't get forward. An extra man in the middle will let him use his best attribute - his energy.

Robertson should be dropped, Tierney is in better form at the moment so he should play. You see when Tierney gets the ball out wide, he’s so much more effective than Robertson. We’re basically playing a system to get both in the team. There will be times when Robertson is in better form and he should start then.

bingo70
28-03-2021, 01:20 PM
Robertson should be dropped, Tierney is in better form at the moment so he should play. You see when Tierney gets the ball out wide, he’s so much more effective than Robertson. We’re basically playing a system to get both in the team. There will be times when Robertson is in better form and he should start then.

I disagree.

I think when we’ve got players as good as them available we need to find a system that gets them both in there.

I think we are struggling for centre halves so having another one in there as a sort of insurance policy makes sense too.

Pretty Boy
28-03-2021, 01:21 PM
A failure to win tonight leaves us in that all too familiar position of playing catch up.

Austria and Denmark away in the 3 September fixtures could see us needing wins if we drop points tonight or, far less likely, Wednesday. Win our next 2 and draws in those fixtures could be very good results.

If we are serious about qualifying then we need to beat the teams ranked lower than us home and away.

Lendo
28-03-2021, 01:23 PM
Chances of Nisbet getting on in the Faroes game midweek? Hopefully we’ll be a few goals up by half time and get can get some minutes under his belt.

Hibbyradge
28-03-2021, 01:33 PM
A win needed tonight.

England are better and more important than Scotland.

Either that or ITV outbid Sky. Or maybe it'll be the other way round for the return games.

I think it's because England are better and more important though.

Brightside
28-03-2021, 01:37 PM
2-0 win tonight.

WeeRussell
28-03-2021, 02:00 PM
I don’t want to start another ‘must-win’ debate... so I’ll just say I think a win is very important tonight and I think we will get it 👍

bingo70
28-03-2021, 02:12 PM
I don’t want to start another ‘must-win’ debate... so I’ll just say I think a win is very important tonight and I think we will get it 👍

Today’s not a must win.

If we lose however it will make more difficult fixtures must win so in that regard, this game is a must win but it’s not a disaster yet if we don’t win.

😉

Speedy
28-03-2021, 02:23 PM
Today’s not a must win.

If we lose however it will make more difficult fixtures must win so in that regard, this game is a must win but it’s not a disaster yet if we don’t win.

😉

Agreed

Glory Lurker
28-03-2021, 02:26 PM
Nope, it's a must win :-)

Lancs Harp
28-03-2021, 02:34 PM
Israel are the sort of team that will be king makers (or breakers) in this group, Qualification you would expect to be beyond them but they are more than capable of giving the leading protagonists Denmark, Austria and Scotland a bloody nose and pinching points off them, especially in Israel. Denmark have already passed that audition. I think with qualification in mind Scotland could really do with a win tonight. The key games are obviously when Denmark, Austria and Scotland play each other but I think you really need to be taking maximum points in all the other matches.

Allez Hibs
28-03-2021, 02:40 PM
Today’s not a must win.

😉

I think you have to look at it as a must win game. Denmark are better than Scotland, Austria and Israel who are all very similar. I think it will end up a tight group which is good for Scotland.

Speedy
28-03-2021, 02:51 PM
Israel are the sort of team that will be king makers (or breakers) in this group, Qualification you would expect to be beyond them but they are more than capable of giving the leading protagonists Denmark, Austria and Scotland a bloody nose and pinching points off them, especially in Israel. Denmark have already passed that audition. I think with qualification in mind Scotland could really do with a win tonight. The key games are obviously when Denmark, Austria and Scotland play each other but I think you really need to be taking maximum points in all the other matches.

Aye. For me, 4 points from our 2 games is a good start. 2 points is a poor start and one I don't see us qualifying from.

So if we don't win it's not all over but realistically I think we need to win to have a good go at qualifying.

Smartie
28-03-2021, 02:54 PM

I agree with this 100%.

Scotland are more likely to view a point tonight as a decent outcome - and for it to ultimately cost them.

I didn’t think the result the other night was that bad. Be clinical against the bottom 3 teams and let the rest of it take care of itself head to head.

We’re just a bit short of firepower and more likely to do something daft defensively for me to be genuinely confident, although we’ve got a good few more good players than we’ve had at any point over the past 20 odd years.

The Modfather
28-03-2021, 03:09 PM

I think we almost have to find a way to get Tierney into a back 3, and as unorthodox as it is, give him a fee role on the left hand side. Have both Tierney & Robertson overlap each other and that should allow one of them to get some time and space to get quality into the box.

hibsbollah
28-03-2021, 03:15 PM
Aye. For me, 4 points from our 2 games is a good start. 2 points is a poor start and one I don't see us qualifying from.

So if we don't win it's not all over but realistically I think we need to win to have a good go at qualifying.

Totally. It’s ****ing Israel. If we can’t beat them we don’t deserve to be making the final stages of major tournaments. The Serbia performance needs to be a stepping stone to not accepting mediocrity.

LeithMike
28-03-2021, 03:20 PM
I think we almost have to find a way to get Tierney into a back 3, and as unorthodox as it is, give him a fee role on the left hand side. Have both Tierney & Robertson overlap each other and that should allow one of them to get some time and space to get quality into the box.I think both Robertson and Tierney like coming from deep and like to be the overlapper rather than the overlappee. Robertson looks a bit lost when asked to start higher up the park. Many full backs struggle when asked to do this despite being great attacking players.

I'd go a flat 4 at the back with Robertson at LB and go with Tierney as an orthodox centre back with one other.

JimBHibees
28-03-2021, 03:28 PM
For me tonight’s game is a must win, if we fancy our chances of getting in the top 2
Denmark won in Israel on Thursday, so we need to keep pace with them
Any early team news, injuries etc?

Totally agree need a win if serious about doing well in group. Worry about us defensively after Austria. Score first and we win but need to avoid going behind.

cabbageandribs1875
28-03-2021, 03:31 PM
i though Israel were pretty unlucky not to take something against Denmark, we were unlucky in Israel the last game, i also thought Israel were the better side against us in the two previous games at Hampden, i won't be surprised if they beat us again :(

mon Scotland :saltireflag

WeeRussell
28-03-2021, 03:34 PM
Today’s not a must win.

😉

Completely agree.. it’s not must win (but it kind of is 😂)

This is what I didn’t want to start.

JimBHibees
28-03-2021, 03:44 PM
A win needed tonight.

Very good point it is nonsense

JohnMcM
28-03-2021, 04:54 PM
Really need to win tonight. Denmark getting a good goal difference today and we still have to play them home and away, as well as Austria away. I hate to say this but it looks like another glorious failure on the cards.

sorry:rolleyes:

Bristolhibby
28-03-2021, 05:20 PM
A failure to win tonight leaves us in that all too familiar position of playing catch up.

Austria and Denmark away in the 3 September fixtures could see us needing wins if we drop points tonight or, far less likely, Wednesday. Win our next 2 and draws in those fixtures could be very good results.

If we are serious about qualifying then we need to beat the teams ranked lower than us home and away.

This.

Said at the start that we need 7 points as a minimum. In reality we should have been needing 9. Still can’t help thinking that dropping points v Austria will bite us.

J

Hibbyradge
28-03-2021, 05:22 PM
Really need to win tonight. Denmark getting a good goal difference today and we still have to play them home and away, as well as Austria away. I hate to say this but it looks like another glorious failure on the cards.

sorry:rolleyes:

Oh FFS. :hilarious

We've played one game.

What makes you think the failure will be glorious rather than abject? :rolleyes:

Billy Whizz
28-03-2021, 05:24 PM
Marshall; Hendry, Hanley, Tierney; O'Donnell, McTominay, McGregor, McGinn, Robertson; Fraser, Adams.

Hiber-nation
28-03-2021, 05:26 PM
Not sure about that team. I'd be starting Christie every game if he's fit. Thought he'd make a change in central defence as well but we shall see.

Billy Whizz
28-03-2021, 05:27 PM
Not sure about that team. I'd be starting Christie every game if he's fit. Thought he'd make a change in central defence as well but we shall see.

Christie has been poor for Celtic for a while, in my opinion

SteveHFC
28-03-2021, 05:32 PM
Marshall; Hendry, Hanley, Tierney; O'Donnell, McTominay, McGregor, McGinn, Robertson; Fraser, Adams.

Agree with that team. Means McGinn can push forward.

Hiber-nation
28-03-2021, 05:34 PM
Christie has been poor for Celtic for a while, in my opinion

Maybe but I thought he was our best player the other night.

hibby rae
28-03-2021, 05:49 PM

Callum McGregor must have about 30 caps and yet to see him do much of note. If it's straight swap for Armstrong, I'd rather the latter. Especially with Adams starting.

Other than that. No complaints.

Billy Whizz
28-03-2021, 05:51 PM
Maybe but I thought he was our best player the other night.

I really like Christie, just think he’s gone off the boil recently

Billy Whizz
28-03-2021, 05:53 PM
Agree with that team. Means McGinn can push forward.

McGinn’s the top goalscorer in our squad, hope he gets another one tonight

https://www.11v11.com/teams/scotland/tab/stats/option/scorers/

hibbysam
28-03-2021, 05:53 PM

Christie is mince. Another who wants everything to be fancy and all about him. He puts more shots out the stadium than he does in the net. Fraser is a far better player and far more pace, which we missed the other day. We are a counter attacking side without pace which made no sense and why we struggled a lot. Next job is to find a decent right back.

Brightside
28-03-2021, 06:00 PM
Clarke is liking the square midfield. I’d probably go with Gallagher than Hanley.

bingo70
28-03-2021, 06:00 PM
Christie is mince. Another who wants everything to be fancy and all about him. He puts more shots out the stadium than he does in the net. Fraser is a far better player and far more pace, which we missed the other day. We are a counter attacking side without pace which made no sense and why we struggled a lot. Next job is to find a decent right back.

Is the boy at Rangers, Patterson, a credible option?

Forget for a second he’s a rangers player and I know he’s not played much but I know he’s highly thought of.

Saying that I thought O’Donnell played well the other night, I’ve slated him in the past as well.

Hiber-nation
28-03-2021, 06:01 PM

Sam what are you on about, he's been superb for Scotland, no-one can argue that.

Smartie
28-03-2021, 06:02 PM

The highlight of the other night was when the Bayern Munich LB showed the Motherwell RB too much space to cut inside him and he did just that.

Is Fraser not a decent shout for RWB?

JohnMcM
28-03-2021, 06:04 PM
Oh FFS. :hilarious

We've played one game.

What makes you think the failure will be glorious rather than abject? :rolleyes:

Nigh on 60 years or so experience since I was old enough to understand disappointment:greengrin

SteveHFC
28-03-2021, 06:12 PM

Forget for a second he’s a rangers player and I know he’s not played much but I know he’s highly thought of.

Saying that I thought O’Donnell played well the other night, I’ve slated him in the past as well.

Patterson will be in the squad in the future. Would sign O’Donnell in the summer as i think he’s far better than McGinn.

CMurdoch
28-03-2021, 06:17 PM
We have struggled against Israel but I think we have changed it up with the addition of:
1. The pace of Adams and Fraser up front
2. The addition of the power and quality of McTominay in midfield

The addition of McGregor in midfield will free up McGinn to play further forward.

In conclusion tonights team is our most offensive line up for a long long time and contains 6 top level outfield players.
They should pose a far greater challenge to Israel than previous workmanlike team selections.

Hendry is my only concern but hopefully the guy plays well.

Tyler Durden
28-03-2021, 06:20 PM
The highlight of the other night was when the Bayern Munich LB showed the Motherwell RB too much space to cut inside him and he did just that.

Is Fraser not a decent shout for RWB?

Don’t think he’d cut it defensively. It is the biggest issue with this squad at the moment though.

When you think back to the 90s we played Craig Burley there, out of position cos he could do the job. Maybe we need to ask another midfielder to take one for the team and play out of position. Armstrong could do it IMO - he’s got bags of energy and wins the ball back a lot for Southampton.

No obvious solution though!

WeeRussell
28-03-2021, 06:25 PM

He’s not mince. Although I don’t think he’s done much at all since our internationals last year, and definitely not undroppable.

I think he’s a better player than Fraser, but obviously Fraser has the pace. Hopefully he plays well tonight.

hibbysam
28-03-2021, 06:32 PM

I think he will be yeah, no doubt about that. Issue is game time. Tavernier will be back and keeping him out of that side again soon, he’ll need to play to progress.

Problem with O’Donnell is he isn’t enough of a threat, meaning teams leave him alone and pin Robertson back.

hibbysam
28-03-2021, 06:34 PM
Sam what are you on about, he's been superb for Scotland, no-one can argue that.

He’s an extremely limited player. Like I said he puts more efforts out the stadium than he does on target. His set pieces are rank now as well. He’s rightfully dropped for a far better player tonight.

BILLYHIBS
28-03-2021, 06:38 PM
5000 fans present

SteveHFC
28-03-2021, 06:40 PM
5000 fans present

Hopefully fans can be there in June but i doubt it.

Lancs Harp
28-03-2021, 06:40 PM
5000 fans present

Che's not had time to learn the words yet :wink:

Good luck fellas.

Keyser Sauzee
28-03-2021, 06:43 PM
I know it’s not important but I hate players not singing or barely signing the national anthem, that was pathetic 😂

Billy Whizz
28-03-2021, 06:44 PM
It’s great to see fans at a game again

Onion
28-03-2021, 06:44 PM
I know it’s not important but I hate players not singing or barely signing the national anthem, that was pathetic 😂

Wow. That was rousing for the Sky viewers :greengrin

SteveHFC
28-03-2021, 06:45 PM
It’s great to see fans at a game again

No excuses come past the summer we can’t get fans in stadiums while majority of countries across Europe are letting some sort of crowds in.

Green forever
28-03-2021, 07:00 PM
Hopefully the fans and the drums can drown out the slaverings of Davie Provan.

Gordy M
28-03-2021, 07:04 PM
Faroes one up away to Austria

Pretty Boy
28-03-2021, 07:08 PM
1-0 Faroes!

CloudSquall
28-03-2021, 07:08 PM
Faroes one up away to Austria

Maybe our home draw vs Austria was in fact a horrendous result :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
28-03-2021, 07:11 PM
straight at the keeper thankfully

PatHead
28-03-2021, 07:13 PM
SJM anonymous tonight

GlesgaeHibby
28-03-2021, 07:14 PM
Never a foul that, never mind a yellow. Got all of the ball.

Jim44
28-03-2021, 07:15 PM
Israel looking superior to Scotland and making our defence look a bit iffy. They’re looking more likely to score than us.

Onion
28-03-2021, 07:16 PM
Scotland drifting out of this. Need our bigger players to step up.

cabbageandribs1875
28-03-2021, 07:17 PM
Austria score, as expected

Joe6-2
28-03-2021, 07:17 PM
1-0 Faroes!

1-1

Sir David Gray
28-03-2021, 07:23 PM
2-1 Austria

cabbageandribs1875
28-03-2021, 07:24 PM
header straight at marshall

kaimendhibs
28-03-2021, 07:26 PM
Provan thinks our strips are white

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

bingo70
Davie Provan appears to have a real dislike for Scotland. It’s really odd.

hibbysam
The 5-4-1 might be decent for play off ties and getting to penalties but we need to be more ambitious in these group games. If we’re playing 3 at the back we need Adams playing on the last man and Fraser and McGinn up beside. We’re so deep it’s just inviting wave after wave of attack and we’re not quick enough on the break.

Brightside
28-03-2021, 07:27 PM
Decent work rate but Adams needs a hand up there.

SteveHFC
28-03-2021, 07:29 PM
Deserved goal.

Magpie
Really not surprised.

Scorrie
Way too deep there though hell of a strike

cabbageandribs1875
better side score

DaveF
28-03-2021, 07:30 PM
Deserved goal but Marshall made a bit of an erse of the attempted save.

JXM73
Should have saved that, best team winnin...

CmoantheHibs
Well that’s been coming. Giving them so much time and space.

wookie70
No idea what the plan is but it looks like it is watch them until they score. Lifeless peeformance

lord bunberry
Marshall should’ve saved that.

NORTHERNHIBBY
Left the player with the option to try his luck with a shot from distance.

HibbyAndy
28-03-2021, 07:31 PM
Goalkeeper has to be saving that

DH1875
Shocker from the keeper. Should have saved that.

Coach Jon
That goal has been coming.Scotland have been poor.

Bristolhibby
Give if far too much space, time and respect to Israel. They are dictating the game, we are passive.

The goal must give us a kick up the arse in the second half.

J

Scottie
Marshall should’ve saved that.
:agree:

erin go bragh
Keeper should have saved that . Rocky is saving that at the other end .
It’s been coming .

Jim44
...... and there we are. Scotland so poor.

whiskyhibby
Scotland need to win this if they want to progress, completely lifeless performance at the moment

Brightside
28-03-2021, 07:32 PM
That’s the problem with 1 up top. Too easy for the whole team to move up to half way and dictate. We have to press the game higher up the park.

Sir David Gray
28-03-2021, 07:33 PM
3-1 Austria.

I'll stick my neck on the line and say that if the scores stay as they are right now, Scotland will be out of the qualifying already.

Magpie
Time for a Nisbet extravaganza

Tyler Durden
Give if far too much space, time and respect to Israel. They are dictating the game, we are passive.

The goal must give us a kick up the arse in the second half.

J

Yeah. Could understand a game plan of sitting in and hit on the break.

But we have basically just let them dominate possession with no pressure on the ball anywhere. About as bad a performance as we’ve seen under Clark.

hibIBZ
Really really poor from Scotland, flat performance and being over run. A few really haven't shown up yet at all. Mcginn, mctominay and MacGregor being dominated

Booked4Being-Ugly
28-03-2021, 07:34 PM
Keeper should maybe have saved it but non existent midfield not closing down quick enough is the real problem.

Hiber-nation
Our big players haven't turned up - McGinn and McTominay have been passengers. And central defence again looking dodgy. Like the look of Adams though.

Magpie
3-1 Austria.

I'll stick my neck on the line and say that if the scores stay as they are right now, Scotland will be out of the qualifying already.

Between Israel and Scotland for 3rd imo. Apparently 3rd gets nothing though. Losing that last game against Israel a few months ago has cost Scotland a play off place.

Fergus52
Playing with a completely flat back 5 and mctominay and McGregor both sitting so deep is so boring and negative.

Diclonius
Ahh, normal service resumed.

Onion
28-03-2021, 07:35 PM
Marshall has to save that. Scotland standing off, McTom, SJM anonymous.

Borderhibbie76
28-03-2021, 07:35 PM
The more I watch Scotland the less I rate Steve Clarke tbh...got very lucky with the 2 pen shootout wins...he made a mess of it in Serbia with his subs when we were 1 0 up and weve been really poor in most games ever since Serbia...dreadful 1st half tonight

HibbyAndy
28-03-2021, 07:36 PM
Has John Mcginn actually touched the ball ?

Scottie
28-03-2021, 07:36 PM
Steve Clark is a ******g clueless IMO. He sets his teams up so negative no spark no drive. Of course I stand to be corrected :grr:

GreenCastle
28-03-2021, 07:37 PM
The Israel formation is causing Scotland problems. We need 2 up top.

Scotland were having a better spell just before the goal but couldn’t get the ball for large parts of 1st half.

Israel better team and deserve to be ahead.

Keeper possibly could have tried to save shot with right hand reaching across body and tipping it round post / over bar - not sure he moved his feet quick enough.

Anyway like Austria game need to show more 2nd half as 1st half isn’t going to get you qualifying for tournaments.

weecounty hibby
Flat as ****. SJM not been in it, Hendry not got it at this level, Robertson usual Scotland performance, Marshall has to save the goal, Adams ok, Tierney is very good. How McGregor has got 50+ caps is one of life's mysteries. Allowed them to come all the way to half way before any attempted challenge, just so flat and uninspiring.

Hibbyradge
Nigh on 60 years or so experience since I was old enough to understand disappointment:greengrin

I've experienced many years of repeated failure too, but being disappointed before the event is a new one on me! :hilarious

Anyway, it's currently looking more like abject than glorious!

WeeRussell
Agree with what’s been said by most. Marshall gets two hands behind the shot and fails to save it. But it is the deserved scoreline for what has been a very poor and discouraging performance.

Aldo
28-03-2021, 07:38 PM
Why does Fraser get a game when he’s been utterly woeful for Newcastle and has hidden pretty much every game he has played.

Once again we’ve set up not to get beaten instead of taking the game to them.

2 up top would be a bit more expansive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H18S NX
Midfield's no turned up tonight,lucky it's only 1-0.

CmoantheHibs
That was a poor disjointed half. Very unlike a Clarke team. They have time and space all over the pitch. Still got time to turn it around but got to step it up big time.

Iain G
The more I watch Scotland the less I rate Steve Clarke tbh...got very lucky with the 2 pen shootout wins...he made a mess of it in Serbia with his subs when we were 1 0 up and weve been really poor in most games ever since Serbia...dreadful 1st half tonight

Scotland are pish and awful and negative and dreary.

weecounty hibby
I hope Steve Clarke gets the Celtic job

cabbageandribs1875
28-03-2021, 07:39 PM
Israel easily have the measure of Scotland nowayears...they should be at least a couple of goals ahead here

Glory Lurker
28-03-2021, 07:39 PM
3-1 Austria.

I agree. We've squandered countless campaigns with poor starts. Socks have to be pulled right up in the second half or we won't need to give the ethics of going to Qatar a second thought.

CloudSquall
28-03-2021, 07:41 PM
Guaranteed we drop points away to the Faroes and Moldova.

whiskyhibby
28-03-2021, 07:41 PM
Between Israel and Scotland for 3rd imo. Apparently 3rd gets nothing though. Losing that last game against Israel a few months ago has cost Scotland a play off place.

Even second doesn’t guarantee anything , I thought I heard it was the top team and then the best two second placed teams that progress, never going to happen for us in this group

Bristolhibby
28-03-2021, 07:42 PM
Israel easily have the measure of Scotland nowayears...they should be at least a couple of goals ahead here

That’s what rankles me. They are a pish team (96th in the rankings) but absolutely know how to beat Scotland.

They’ll lose to Moldova on Wednesday, you watch.

J

CB Hibs 68
Marshall should have saved that shot.Poor performance all round..Could be worse as we probably should be two down.Next 45 miniutes will make or break this campaign.Sad to say but lose today and I think there is little chance of getting the playoff place.Makes fxxxxxg up in the Euro qualifiers even more obviously a mistake

whiskyhibby
Guaranteed we drop points away to the Faroes and Moldova.

completely agree, we don’t look like a team that can overwhelm even the lowest ranked teams, Israel are 40 places below us in the rankings , yet we are making it look the other way around

SteveHFC
28-03-2021, 07:43 PM
I would be asking Allan McGregor to be in the squad for the Euro’s

cabbageandribs1875
we've scored once in the first half in our last 8 games

hibee-boys
If we’d lost that pen shoot out Clarke would be getting seriously questioned.

Sylar
28-03-2021, 07:44 PM
Clarke can leave tomorrow for me.

We squeaked into the Euros in spite of him. 1 point from the opening 2 games is unacceptable. No attacking prowess so far, and very little bravery going forward.

This is a honking Scotland side.

Gloucester Hibs
Looking like 4 games v Israel in the past 7-8 months and we’ve yet to score a goal! 😩

whiskyhibby

We squeaked into the Euros in spite of him. 1 point from the opening 2 games is unacceptable. No attacking prowess so far, and very little bravery going forward.

unless he turns it around in the second half, I would completely agree

Hibee Mac
28-03-2021, 07:46 PM
When will Robertson put in a performance for Scotland? Bloody champions League winner and captain yet he looks lost every time I watch him play!

They deserve the lead so far but the annoying thing is, yes you can say they deserve it but Scotland as a team have to take and capitalise on luck like that yet instead Marshall makes a mess of that save when we could have been going in at half time to regroup proper

whiskyhibby
28-03-2021, 07:46 PM

I have to agree, he’s been excellent again this season

hibbysam
28-03-2021, 07:47 PM

Or just stick the best keeper that’s in the squad between the sticks. Gordon has flaws but he keeps the ball out of the net. There’s a reason Marshall spent his career behind McGregor and Gordon.

Jim44
28-03-2021, 07:48 PM
McGinn is Mr Invisible tonight.

hibbysam
When will Robertson put in a performance for Scotland? Bloody champions League winner and captain yet he looks lost every time I watch him play!

They deserve the lead so far but the annoying thing is, yes you can say they deserve it but Scotland as a team have to take and capitalise on luck like that yet instead Marshall makes a mess of that save when we could have been going in at half time to regroup proper

He’s playing left side of a 5 with a 4 man midfield yards in front. I’m no sure what’s really expected of Robertson in that scenario.

SteveHFC
I have to agree, he’s been excellent again this season

Having both McGregor and Gordon on the bench would be decent.

JimBHibees
28-03-2021, 07:49 PM
Goalie should have saved it horrific lack of pressing by Mctominay. Real lack of pressing and kind of waiting on something happening. Lose this we are struggling big time to have any influence on the group.

Davie Provan must be one of the biggest wage thieves ever utterly clueless and wants us to lose imo.

cabbageandribs1875
28-03-2021, 07:49 PM
hopefully we can at least fight of the Moldovians and Faroenese for 4th spot

Aldo
28-03-2021, 07:50 PM

Being a striker for Scotland in this current set up..... run about closing down the opposition, not getting many touches and no chances and get replaced after 55 mins to an hour for your replacement to do exactly the same until final whistle!

Why can we not try and play a formation that takes the game to the opposition instead of sitting in and allowing teams to apply pressure.

I agree that if we don’t win today out qualifying campaign is already over!

truehibernian
28-03-2021, 07:51 PM
We've not get any international class centre halves, and we don't have an international class striker(s) - hence we will always struggle and always be mediocre at this level. That's the difference between a good team and a great team.

Shoe horning both Tierney and Robertson into the side is wrong too - play best positions, and if one has to drop out, so be it. Get some balance in the side.

heretoday
28-03-2021, 07:52 PM
I'm sorry I just want Rocky to do well. Excellent chap.

cabbageandribs1875
28-03-2021, 07:55 PM
unbelievable, we turned an attacking position only to pass the ball back to Marshall, how utterly freakin boring and unimaginative play

hibbysam
28-03-2021, 07:56 PM
We've not get any international class centre halves, and we don't have an international class striker(s) - hence we will always struggle and always be mediocre at this level. That's the difference between a good team and a great team.

Shoe horning both Tierney and Robertson into the side is wrong too - play best positions, and if one has to drop out, so be it. Get some balance in the side.

You’ve just said it though, we don’t have international class centre backs, so why would you not play Tierney there when he plays there for arsenal? It’s not shoe horning. He plays centre back most weeks and is better than any other option. Take Robertson out and put Tierney at left back and we are considerably worse. We should always be playing 4 at the back though.

SteveHFC
28-03-2021, 07:57 PM
Yasss

Sylar
28-03-2021, 07:57 PM
Much better. My thoughts on Clarke haven’t changed, but much better.

heretoday
28-03-2021, 07:58 PM
Yessss....great by Adams. Sorry Rocky!

DH1875
1-1:thumbsup:

whiskyhibby
Jesus , this is ponderous , one forward pass and then four backwards passes

Vault Boy
Yasssss, Adams is some addition

wookie70
Yessss so much better since we went 4 at the back

cabbageandribs1875
28-03-2021, 07:59 PM
now THAT's more like it :flag:

Aldo
[emoji23][emoji23] and Fraser scores.

Must have read my post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weecounty hibby
Just said to my laddie that is take Fraser off!! Was obviously the kick up the ease he needed. I'm claiming an assist

truehibernian
28-03-2021, 08:02 PM
You’ve just said it though, we don’t have international class centre backs, so why would you not play Tierney there when he plays there for arsenal? It’s not shoe horning. He plays centre back most weeks and is better than any other option. Take Robertson out and put Tierney at left back and we are considerably worse. We should always be playing 4 at the back though.

Tierney has world class players right next to him at Arsenal, tonight he has Hendry and Hanley.

It's a very difficult conundrum given they are both excellent players Sam - takes me back to the days where we had Miller, McLeish, Hansen, and Narey.........I just think both are much more effective at left back.

Anyway, 1-1, game on :aok:

cabbageandribs1875
28-03-2021, 08:04 PM
good save Rocky Grrrrrr

Diclonius
That was almost a great move.

wookie70
Get someone in the middle after those shots. Rocky saving the ball into danger area

Jim44
28-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Almost looking like a football team. More please.

cabbageandribs1875
28-03-2021, 08:06 PM
wtf are we doing at the back there fgs

Iain G
28-03-2021, 08:07 PM
Get someone in the middle after those shots. Rocky saving the ball into danger area

The number 18 on the bench maybe?

GreenCastle
Maybe this was the strategy? 1st half keep it tight and 2nd more expansive ?

The formation wasn’t working 1st half so didn’t have my option but to change it.

Been impressed with Adams - brings real energy and direct.

SteveHFC
The number 18 on the bench maybe?

Time to bring him on.

DH1875
28-03-2021, 08:13 PM
Reckon we need to win this but then, reckon Isreal really need to win this. Hopefully we can hit them on the break.

heretoday
28-03-2021, 08:14 PM
Israel are trying to play a one-touch thing but they are not quick or skilful enough. Credit to them for attempting it!

We are more ponderous in our build-up and may prevail in the end.

Coco Bryce
28-03-2021, 08:17 PM
McGinn completely anonymous.

Sylar
28-03-2021, 08:18 PM
Who the **** is this referee?! He’s been dire.

bingo70
28-03-2021, 08:20 PM
I don’t get why he’s taken Che Adam’s off?

DH1875
28-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Should have rattled that.

weecounty hibby
28-03-2021, 08:22 PM
I love Super John but that is probably the worst I've ever seen him play. 2nd half been much better, I just think that Clarke sets us up wrong so often. Don't date him at all and it is all so negative and boring

cabbageandribs1875
McTomminay with a wee tap to goal

hit the thing man

CmoantheHibs
Mctominay should have leathered that.

GreenCastle
What is he thinking taking Adams off ?

Been the most dangerous player ?!!

cabbageandribs1875
28-03-2021, 08:23 PM
Israeli booked for diving in the box

jgl07
28-03-2021, 08:24 PM
Yasssss, Adams is some addition

For a moment I thought it was Charlie.

Andy74
I don’t get why he’s taken Che Adam’s off?

His late subs tend to make us worse.

Brightside
Sticking to one up top wont bring the wins we actually need.

DH1875
Their gonna be pushing for the win leaving plenty space at back so......why take Adams off?

bingo70
28-03-2021, 08:25 PM
What is he thinking taking Adams off ?

Been the most dangerous player ?!!

Dykes was never the replacement, he can’t run.

I don’t actually think Nisbet is international standard but he was the better option to come off the bench.

Adams running was causing them problems.

cabbageandribs1875
28-03-2021, 08:27 PM
armstrong gets 5 mins to change things..... :rolleyes:

SteveHFC
28-03-2021, 08:29 PM
Those subs tonight have still made me seething.

Get this defensive football to ****.

Brightside
28-03-2021, 08:29 PM
Bring on another midfielder.

CmoantheHibs
28-03-2021, 08:30 PM
Good chance for Christie. Totally fluffed the shot.

The_Exile
28-03-2021, 08:32 PM
We have been abysmal in the final third, no decent creativity at all when it matters.

whiskyhibby
28-03-2021, 08:34 PM
Unless Scotland score then that’s the WC adventure over

SteveHFC
28-03-2021, 08:36 PM
****ing pish.

PatHead
Points dropped. Israel are rubbish

B.H.F.C
Campaign over after two games.

cabbageandribs1875
that's our campaign finished imo, two games it took, quite possibly the earliest ever

DH1875
Unless Scotland score then that’s the WC adventure over

Who wants to go to Qatar anyway.

hibIBZ
28-03-2021, 08:37 PM
Oh well, no drink Qatar, who would of wanted to qualify anyway....

whiskyhibby
28-03-2021, 08:38 PM
****ung bottled it, absolutely dross the first half, Clarke GTF

BILLYHIBS
Why take off Che Adams?

Nuts!

Diclonius
that's our campaign finished imo, two games it took, quite possibly the earliest ever

If it weren't for the playoffs Euro 2020 would have been over after ten minutes.

Sir David Gray
I'd personally say Scotland are out now.

Glory Lurker
That'll be that, then. Oot.

It's just been reality check after reality check since we got all excited after the Serbia play off. Beginning to think the Euros might not be much fun.

whiskyhibby
28-03-2021, 08:39 PM
Who wants to go to Qatar anyway.

your right of course, it’s only 6500 deaths so far building the stadiums and facilities...

PatHead
Oh well, no drink Qatar, who would of wanted to qualify anyway....

Been to Qatar. You can drink. Just can't get rubber.

NC1875
Clarke as a person is so depressing.

Clarke’s team are depressing to watch

Sylar
They'll never fire him after his 'success' in getting us to the Euros, but I'd see Clarke leave tomorrow. Let him take the Celtc job - his negative, dour 'poor us' attitude will fit in perfectly there.

lucky
What’s clear is that Scotland are few players short of a decent side. Unfortunately McGregor and Christie were out of sorts tonight. SJM probably had his worst game in a Scotland shirt. Going to difficult to get to the play offs now never mind win the group now

Jim44
28-03-2021, 08:40 PM
Being a striker for Scotland in this current set up..... run about closing down the opposition, not getting many touches and no chances and get replaced after 55 mins to an hour for your replacement to do exactly the same until final whistle!

Why can we not try and play a formation that takes the game to the opposition instead of sitting in and allowing teams to apply pressure.

I agree that if we don’t win today out qualifying campaign is already over!

Well over. Not remotely good enough to be in the reckoning.

Gordy M
28-03-2021, 08:41 PM
Not even close to being out of the running.....jeez

whiskyhibby
28-03-2021, 08:42 PM
A team 40 places below us should have won by two or three, says it all really....

Lancs Harp
28-03-2021, 08:42 PM
Never say never but now remaining results against Israel Moldova and Faroe all have to be wins. Then its down to results against Denmark home and away and a result in Austria. Very tough.

H18S NX
28-03-2021, 08:43 PM
Clarke's team doesn't really inspire confidence,not once did i think "we could win this".

bingo70
I don’t see how qualification is over already.

It’s entirely possible Israel could take points off Austria at some point and we were always going to have to get something in Austria.

That said I found that very frustrating tonight. Why we took off Adams I’ll never know, to me it looks like we just played for a draw.

That game was never one for Lyndon Dykes, their central defenders were slow and were terrified of Adams running at them, replacing him with someone who can’t run didn’t make any sense IMO.

Onion
Dreadful tactics and set up by the manager. Not quite sure what we were trying to do tonight. Israel are no better than functional and not a team you should be drawing with. 2 points dropped.

Hiber-nation
28-03-2021, 08:44 PM
Used up all our luck in the Euro qualifiers. Still got time though and 5 or 6 goals on Wednesday would be a good confidence booster although I just can't see it.

NC1875
28-03-2021, 08:44 PM
What’s clear is that Scotland are few players short of a decent side. Unfortunately McGregor and Christie were out of sorts tonight. SJM probably had his worst game in a Scotland shirt. Going to difficult to get to the play offs now never mind win the group now

Don’t think McGregor has ever had a good game in a Scotland shirt

Hibbyradge
28-03-2021, 08:45 PM
I'd personally say Scotland are out now.

They're not. They're 2 points behind Austria who have played the Faroes.

Tonight's draw was a certainty and there's plenty more football to be played before anyone is out, or in.

Lancs Harp
armstrong gets 5 mins to change things..... :rolleyes:

I found it a little odd that Che Adams playing his first game didnt have team mate Armstrong in the line up, they combine well.

whiskyhibby
Never say never but now remaining results against Israel Moldova and Faroe all have to be wins. Then its down to results against Denmark home and away and a result in Austria. Very tough.

That fixture list looks like 3 points in the bag, can’t wait 🤣

JimBHibees
28-03-2021, 08:46 PM
No idea why Adams's and Fraser were taken off. Why not chuck Dykes and Adams on at the same time. Seem happy to stay in shape and not press giving initiative to the other team

Speedy
28-03-2021, 08:47 PM
McTomminay with a wee tap to goal

hit the thing man

Was unlucky when you see the replay. Get past the defender and I reckon it beats Rocky. Leathering it against the same defender wouldn't have helped.

truehibernian

Usually I'm optimistic and would say plenty football left - not with this manager I'm afraid. Too defensive, strange formations, equally negative and baffling changes during games. Uninspiring, boring football too many times under Clarke.

It's quite strange, but I can never lift myself or get excited about the national team any more. Just can't take to Clarke either, think it's his demeanour and lack of personality.

Anyway, hope Nisbet at least gets a chance v The Faroes. That'll have me more keen to watch.

PatHead
Don’t think McGregor has ever had a good game in a Scotland shirt

What relation is he to Brian Kerr?

Nicho87
28-03-2021, 08:48 PM
Calum mcgregor, Christie, O’Donnell, Hanley, awful. All four shouldn’t be anywhere near the current team.

SteveHFC
28-03-2021, 08:49 PM
I would be dropping Robertson on Wednesday and putting Tierney at left-back.

Speedy
28-03-2021, 08:49 PM

Aye. Going to need at least 2 draws or 1 win from those 2 games.

greenlex
28-03-2021, 08:50 PM
It’s not over but a difficult task just got a whole lot harder.

truehibernian
28-03-2021, 08:50 PM

:aok: definitely Steve.

Robbo6-2
28-03-2021, 08:51 PM
His subs are baffling at times.

Che Adam's was excellent and should never of been taken off especially for Dykes.

Kenny McLean on for McGinn in the number 10 role. Seriously get a grip

whiskyhibby
28-03-2021, 08:52 PM
It’s not over but a difficult task just got a whole lot harder.

Let’s be honest here, we are never going to top the group or get one of the two second best places, we will be fighting for 4th in the group in my opinion

hibbysam

Who would you play centre half that would improve us? Robertson was far better when moved to a 4, and understandable, it’s the formation he plays and he had more freedom.

Jim44
Not even close to being out of the running.....jeez

I don’t see how qualification is over already.

It’s entirely possible Israel could take points off Austria at some point and we were always going to have to get something in Austria.

That said I found that very frustrating tonight. Why we took off Adams I’ll never know, to me it looks like we just played for a draw.

That game was never one for Lyndon Dykes, their central defenders were slow and were terrified of Adams running at them, replacing him with someone who can’t run didn’t make any sense IMO.

They're not. They're 2 points behind Austria who have played the Faroes.

Tonight's draw was a certainty and there's plenty more football to be played before anyone is out, or in.

Mathematically, we might have a fighting chance. In terms of performance and quality, we don’t look the part.

SteveHFC
:aok: definitely Steve.

Tierney has been the better play out of those 2 this season. Robertson has done **** all in a Scotland top.

JimBHibees
28-03-2021, 08:53 PM
Calum mcgregor, Christie, O’Donnell, Hanley, awful. All four shouldn’t be anywhere near the current team.

Thought Mctominay was poor also. Never pressses at all and poor off the ball.

SteveHFC
28-03-2021, 08:54 PM
Who would you play centre half that would improve us? Robertson was far better when moved to a 4, and understandable, it’s the formation he plays and he had more freedom.

McKenna and Hendry for me.

If we have to play them both. Put Tierney at right back like Strachan did as he done well there.

PatHead
28-03-2021, 08:56 PM

Not really any player who really impressed me tonight. Adams maybe. Rest ran like they had anchors attached to them.

Lancs Harp
Tierney has been the better play out of those 2 this season. Robertson has done **** all in a Scotland top.

He's done **** all in a Liverpool top this season too. He benefits massively from the system Liverpool play. Liverpool arent playing this season for a variety of reasons. Scotland arent Liverpool, he's struggling and looking very ordinary.

The Modfather
Two ok points in isolation. However a minimum of 4 was probably needed if we’re to finish second. We’ve not got much wriggle room left.

heretoday
28-03-2021, 08:57 PM
I'm optimistic. You've gotta be!!

hibbysam
28-03-2021, 08:57 PM
McKenna and Hendry for me.

If we have to play them both. Put Tierney at right back like Strachan did as he done well there.

Tierney is our best centre half. Go with a 4 like we did second half and there’s not an issue. Playing 5 the width of our 18 yard box and sit in isn’t going to suit one of the best attacking full backs in the world, and would be the same if Tierney went there.

Bristolhibby
28-03-2021, 08:58 PM

Exactly, people saying “it’s not over till the fat lady sings”, yes but, we have made it near on impossible. 6 points (9 with Faroes) and we have some wriggle room. We would still have to get a result in Copenhagen or Vienna, but there’s some contingency.

Now we HAVE to get results in Copenhagen, Vienna and Hampden v Denmark. Oh and we have the perineal thorn in our sides of Israel at home, never guaranteed 3.

I’m afraid to say it’s game over. I’ve seen it too many times following Scotland.

J

Hiber-nation
28-03-2021, 09:00 PM

I think he's a tremendous player but he was dreadful tonight, never got near his man at the edge of our box and let them have a few free shots on goal. Looked miles off the pace as did McGinn.

truehibernian
28-03-2021, 09:00 PM
Not really any player who really impressed me tonight. Adams maybe. Rest ran like they had anchors attached to them.

Stuart Armstrong should always be in the side for me - a wonderful player, very good on the ball, can beat a man and find space, links up well with strikers.

Callum McGregor has been awful for Celtic and does not deserve a start quite frankly. Christie should always be ahead of him too.

ancient hibee
28-03-2021, 09:01 PM
At one stage we had 5 men back in a line and 2 others back pedalling to join them and they still had 2 unmarked players in our box and 2 bringing the ball up under no pressure.I’m afraid in that set up we are the dustbins.

Lancs Harp
28-03-2021, 09:02 PM
Tierney is our best centre half. Go with a 4 like we did second half and there’s not an issue. Playing 5 the width of our 18 yard box and sit in isn’t going to suit one of the best attacking full backs in the world, and would be the same if Tierney went there.

Sam dont you lose something going forward though with Tierney at centre half? In a team that lacks creativity he can really offer something wide as a wing back like he does for Arsenal. Scotland are functional and need some creativity in the team.

Hibeesforever
28-03-2021, 09:05 PM
The group is over for us now...we have to get four wins...Denmark home and away, Austria away and Israel at home...just not happening...enjoy the EUROS because it will be a long time before we are at another tournament!

Centre Hawf
28-03-2021, 09:05 PM
The fact of the matter is in international football there is very little room for losses or draws if you want to even qualify via a runner up route. We've now went out and got 2 draws in our opening games agains two sides we'll be competing against for that spot. So while we haven't necessarily lost any ground it's not a great start either. It leaves us with no room for slip ups versus Faroes/Moldova and we're going to have to look at taking 3 or 4 points of Denmark at some point while taking maximum points from Israel and Austria second time round.