PDA

View Full Version : Marco Van Basten

StirlingHibee
25-03-2021, 07:57 PM
Marco Van Basten urging FIFA to scrap the off-side rule in Football. Detractors claim it would lead to "carnage" whilst supporters of the idea believe it would make the game more exciting. I might just be with Marco on this one!

Paul1642
25-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Perhaps worth trialing in pre season friendlys although I don’t think it would work. Some changes could be good though. At a minimum it needs to be a case of it in doubt favour the attacker. VAR checking to see if a fingernail was offside is killing the game. Fans want goals!

Hibbyradge
25-03-2021, 08:06 PM
It's a daft idea, but no surprise that it's a striker that suggested it. 😁

There would be literally no football played in the central 50 yards or more. (Yes, even less than there is now before a wag says it!)

Strikers would just run left to right around 20 yards out, hoping to find a bit of space. Defenders would try to get the ball to them asap.

It would be horrible.

HibbyDave
25-03-2021, 08:28 PM
What a goal from SJM

HibbyDave
25-03-2021, 08:28 PM
Oops wrong thread 😎

eezyrider
25-03-2021, 08:39 PM
It would lead to hoofball, lots of goals, but hoofball.

EZ

SaulGoodman
25-03-2021, 08:41 PM
Would be as well letting them pass the ball forward in Rugby as well then.

Pagan Hibernia
25-03-2021, 08:49 PM
It would lead to hoofball, lots of goals, but hoofball.

EZ

yep, pretty much. It would remove all the artistry from the game. Working your way through a defence is like picking a lock.

and watching Scott Allan destroy an opposing teams offside trap with a delicious slide rule pass is one of life’s great pleasures

Newry Hibs
25-03-2021, 08:56 PM
Would be like playground football

Brightside
25-03-2021, 08:56 PM
There is a reason the off side rule came into football.

Nicho87
25-03-2021, 09:15 PM
That’ll bring a chequered flag to the game imo

Stanton Spence
25-03-2021, 09:22 PM
Marco Van Basten urging FIFA to scrap the off-side rule in Football. Detractors claim it would lead to "carnage" whilst supporters of the idea believe it would make the game more exciting. I might just be with Marco on this one!Are you actually being serious? If so I'm guessing that you haven't played the game at any level?
The offside rule is one of the most fundamental things that make fitbaw the greatest game ever played. You would end up with players just hanging around the 18 yard box looking for a long punt up the park and would end up with the game looking more like basket ball than football

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

malcolm
25-03-2021, 09:25 PM
Think it was in the drybrough cup in the 70’s they did the experimental offside not applied beyond a line level with the box. Apart from hibs winning the cup twice :wink: I don’t think it was much of a success.

No offside hoofball would be worse than the microscopically defined offsides being called by the EPL’s idiotic implementation of VAR..

Eyrie
25-03-2021, 09:26 PM
6-0-4 would be the default formation and 5-0-5 for attacking sides.

There would be zero football and total hoofball. Is van Basten a closet Jambo?

jacomo
25-03-2021, 09:27 PM
It's a daft idea, but no surprise that it's a striker that suggested it. 😁

There would be literally no football played in the central 50 yards or more. (Yes, even less than there is now before a wag says it!)

Strikers would just run left to right around 20 yards out, hoping to find a bit of space. Defenders would try to get the ball to them asap.

It would be horrible.

It would, but the current law needs a tweak. VAR has chalked off a load of good goals because the scorer is millimetres in front. It’s ridiculous.

Stick
25-03-2021, 09:29 PM
Didn’t they trial this in the league cup, maybe 40 or so years ago? Seem to remember it wasn’t a success, just encouraged poaching. I might be wrong though.

Dinkydoo
25-03-2021, 09:41 PM
Are you actually being serious? If so I'm guessing that you haven't played the game at any level?
The offside rule is one of the most fundamental things that make fitbaw the greatest game ever played. You would end up with players just hanging around the 18 yard box looking for a long punt up the park and would end up with the game looking more like basket ball than football

Sent from my G3121 using TapatalkThat's really not fair on basketball.

Limits on movement, passing and the goal being 8ft above your head.

Table tennis might be a better metaphor, but the pretentiousness can sit outside imo.

bingo70
25-03-2021, 09:46 PM
Are you actually being serious? If so I'm guessing that you haven't played the game at any level?

I’m not sure about StirlingHibee however the boy Van Basten that has suggested the idea played football to a no bad level.

He might have been part of the AC Milan team that won the league scoring 36 goals all season so the poor guy is probably just desperate to see some goals.

Stanton Spence
25-03-2021, 09:51 PM
I’m not sure about StirlingHibee however the boy Van Basten that has suggested the idea played football to a no bad level.

He might have been part of the AC Milan team that won the league scoring 36 goals all season so the poor guy is probably just desperate to see some goals.I totally get what Marco van Basten done on the park but he wouldn't be the first football player to be way off the mark when it comes down to their stance on what rules etc should be done away with in the game

bingo70
25-03-2021, 09:53 PM
I totally get what Marco van Basten done on the park but he wouldn't be the first football player to be way off the mark when it comes down to their stance on what rules etc should be done away with in the game

Agreed.

I was just laughing that you were questioning the credibility of the poster who cautiously backed the idea saying he couldn’t have played at any level when the guy that suggested it was one if the best strikers of all time and played in one of the best club sides of all time.

I think the idea is stupid and it won’t go any further, that’s nothing to do with not playing at a good level though.

Hibbyradge
25-03-2021, 10:00 PM
It would, but the current law needs a tweak. VAR has chalked off a load of good goals because the scorer is millimetres in front. It’s ridiculous.

It's frustrating, to say the least, but it'll be difficult to resolve.

Personally, I think that offside should measured from where a player's feet are, regardless of where his shoulder or head are.

It might not stop the intricate measuring, but it would bring it into line with how a referee decides if a foul was committed in or out of the penalty box.

Stanton Spence
25-03-2021, 10:07 PM
Agreed.

I was just laughing that you were questioning the credibility of the poster who cautiously backed the idea saying he couldn’t have played at any level when the guy that suggested it was one if the best strikers of all time and played in one of the best club sides of all time.

I think the idea is stupid and it won’t go any further, that’s nothing to do with not playing at a good level though.I agree with you bingo and it's just that ludicrous to think that anyone including MVB who has played the game would think that scrapping offside would be a great idea? It's bonkers and I also didn't mean to down basketball either dinkydoo [emoji1303] I was just trying to imagine a game without offside and the flow of the game would resemble a basketball game and it would be a matter of getting the ball into the oppositions box as quickly as possible and you would have players (goalies excluded) not coming outside the 18 yard box the whole game

wookie70
25-03-2021, 10:09 PM
I'd like to see it or variation of offside like in Hockey being tried. It doesn't sound like it would work but who knows and it might even stop the richer teams winning everything. Hail Mary after Hail Mary may be better to watch that launching diagonals and tippy tappy sideways rubbish that much of todays football is. VAR and the current Offside rule don't complement each other and the football authorities have not really done much to improve the game unlike Rugby Union etc. I'd much rather sin bins were tried first though

Stonewall
25-03-2021, 10:13 PM
Would be as well letting them pass the ball forward in Rugby as well then.

I read somewhere that in one of the early formulations of football rules they had to pass the ball backwards as in rugby. When this requirement was abolished it was felt necessary to introduce an offside rule.

The Baldmans Comb
25-03-2021, 11:34 PM
I think what happened in the Dryburgh Cup was that the 18 yard line was used as the offside line and this was extended all the way to the touchline.

So offside was still played but only from the 18 yard line so what strikers did was just stand on the 18 yard line and use that as their base.

Didn't seem to make much difference but ablolishing offside altogether just leads to almighty hoofs up the pitch.

I'm_cabbaged
26-03-2021, 05:07 AM
Didn’t they trial this in the league cup, maybe 40 or so years ago? Seem to remember it wasn’t a success, just encouraged poaching. I might be wrong though.

I think it might have been the Drybourgh cup from the 18 yard line? Can remember my dad talking about it.

AltheHibby
26-03-2021, 06:58 AM

Personally, I think that offside should measured from where a player's feet are, regardless of where his shoulder or head are.

It might not stop the intricate measuring, but it would bring it into line with how a referee decides if a foul was committed in or out of the penalty box.

Totally agree

James Stephen
26-03-2021, 07:11 AM
Im not for it necessarily, but i would be interested to see the result.

Im not sure it would lead to the hoofball people say, certainly at the top level, as hoofball is not a good way to keep posession, and there would also be little or no space in behind defences to hoof it into to turn them.

I wonder if it would also see a flourishing of midfielders, as there would be an increase in space in the middle of the park - so guys who can pick and run with the ball might be more valuable.

It would certainly end the current pressing game, thats for sure!

I suspect its a daft idea, but id be curious to see a few games with it as an experiment.

Pretty Boy
26-03-2021, 07:15 AM
Footage below of Hibs v Celtic in the Dryborough Cup Final with a modified offside rule. You can see the extended line at the edge of the penalty box.

https://youtu.be/fX9n4156lsU

neil7908
26-03-2021, 07:55 AM
I think it's a non starter but would be really interested to see it trialled.

A better idea is to update offside rules for the VAR age.

Greenbeard
26-03-2021, 08:49 AM
Footage below of Hibs v Celtic in the Dryborough Cup Final with a modified offside rule. You can see the extended line at the edge of the penalty box.

That strip is just beautiful.

Greenbeard
26-03-2021, 08:51 AM
There is a reason the off side rule came into football.
Enlighten us. Seriously. Not ripping you. Interested to know how, when, who.

Hibbyradge
26-03-2021, 08:57 AM
Enlighten us. Seriously. Not ripping you. Interested to know how, when, who.

It's because the game was played in the 2 penalty boxes. Everyone was either a striker or a defender.

Remember primary school football? Kick and rush.

Greenbeard
26-03-2021, 09:05 AM

You would still have the same ridic decisions depending on where the player's big toe is and where his stride is at the point the ball is played forward. I'd go with the player's trunk like in athletics photo finishes. Take the flapping arms and legs out of the equation. Anyone ever heard of a controversial photo finish in athletics? They get it right 100% of the time. Ok, they have a camera right in line with the finish line so VAR decisions might not be quite so dependable but it would take out a good proportion of the marginal and dubious decisions.

Pretty Boy
26-03-2021, 09:10 AM
With VAR the criteria for overturning an offside call should be strictly only if the error is clear and obvious. A players shoulder being 2cm in front of the defenders body is not clear and obvious. Measuring these minute distances is not what I envisaged technology being used for.

It different from goal line technology in that a cm could be the difference between a goal or not a goal. The difference is there in black and white. With the offside rule it's impossible to determine if the end of your nose being offside offered any material advantage.

Smartie
26-03-2021, 09:14 AM
With VAR the criteria for overturning an offside call should be strictly only if the error is clear and obvious. A players shoulder being 2cm in front of the defenders body is not clear and obvious. Measuring these minute distances is not what I envisaged technology being used for.

It different from goal line technology in that a cm could be the difference between a goal or not a goal. The difference is there in black and white. With the offside rule it's impossible to determine if the end of your nose being offside offered any material advantage.

A margin for error for players to essentially be "level" needs to be built in and all managers, players etc to agree to it.

The 2cm offside when players are, to all intents and purposes "level", is a nonsense.

And if the players are "level" then the advantage should lie with the attacking side.

Less hanging around waiting for decisions, more likelihood that already-celebrated goals will stand.

Clear rules that should be understood by all.

VAR should be a huge asset and still has the potential to be so. It just needs to be used properly, for lessons to be learned and for players and managers not to be twats about it.

Hibbyradge
26-03-2021, 09:54 AM

I used to think that, but it wouldn't work.

Unlike fouls, dives or deliberate handball etc, offside, once technology is applied, is pretty much always clear and obvious, even if the margin is tiny.

If the information is available to the referees, they would have to use it. If it's obvious to the TV cameras that the player is 2 inches offside, the ref can't then say it's not obvious, if you follow.

Offside is offside. Over the line is over the line.

Hibbyradge
26-03-2021, 09:55 AM
A margin for error for players to essentially be "level" needs to be built in and all managers, players etc to agree to it.

The 2cm offside when players are, to all intents and purposes "level", is a nonsense.

And if the players are "level" then the advantage should lie with the attacking side.

Less hanging around waiting for decisions, more likelihood that already-celebrated goals will stand.

Clear rules that should be understood by all.

VAR should be a huge asset and still has the potential to be so. It just needs to be used properly, for lessons to be learned and for players and managers not to be twats about it.

Level is currently onside.

The words "Ach, it's ok, he was only 2 inches offside" will never be spoken by a manager or player. Unless their team has benefitted, of course.

Can you imagine the furore if the World Cup was decided by a goal which everyone, including the referee, knew was offside at the time?

I don't think there's ever going to be the tolerance in football to allow that.

nonshinyfinish
26-03-2021, 09:58 AM

Unlike fouls, dives or deliberate handball etc, offside, once technology is applied, is pretty much always clear and obvious, even if the margin is tiny.

If the information is available to the referees, they would have to use it. If it's obvious to the TV cameras that the player is 2 inches offside, the ref can't then say it's not obvious, if you follow.

I don't think that's true for the kind of tiny margins being picked up by VAR at times. What's the error margin? Consider the thickness of the lines drawn and which exact frame is chosen to pause on for the ball leaving the player's foot.

(On the original topic – current offside is a bit of a mess, at least where VAR is used, but getting rid of it entirely is a truly terrible idea.)

Hibbyradge
26-03-2021, 10:03 AM
I don't think that's true for the kind of tiny margins being picked up by VAR at times. What's the error margin? Consider the thickness of the lines drawn and which exact frame is chosen to pause on for the ball leaving the player's foot.

(On the original topic – current offside is a bit of a mess, at least where VAR is used, but getting rid of it entirely is a truly terrible idea.)

I did say "pretty much" but the vast majority can be made obvious by the technology. The TV companies will always do that so there's really no reason for the refs to ignore it.

mal
26-03-2021, 10:23 AM
If offside was scrapped altogether teams would put big forwards right up against the goalkeeper and try to get the ball to them as quickly as possible and as often as possible, something you could do from your own keeper's kickout without troubling the midfield in any way. Defences would be need to be organised to counteract that tactic. Trialing the rule change now would only tell you so much since games would have to be played with existing squads. Establish the new rule and clubs would start recruiting players who could operate that system - big, good in the air and able to get quickly from one box to the other as defence changes to attack and vice versa. Midfielders as we currently know them would cease to exist; actual ball skills would become much less important; the game would deteriorate into hoofball, set pieces, and shooting from distance, even more than it is now.

Hibbyradge
26-03-2021, 10:36 AM
If offside was scrapped altogether teams would put big forwards right up against the goalkeeper and try to get the ball to them as quickly as possible and as often as possible, something you could do from your own keeper's kickout without troubling the midfield in any way. Defences would be need to be organised to counteract that tactic. Trialing the rule change now would only tell you so much since games would have to be played with existing squads. Establish the new rule and clubs would start recruiting players who could operate that system - big, good in the air and able to get quickly from one box to the other as defence changes to attack and vice versa. Midfielders as we currently know them would cease to exist; actual ball skills would become much less important; the game would deteriorate into hoofball, set pieces, and shooting from distance, even more than it is now.

Messi no more...

Keith_M
26-03-2021, 10:40 AM
I think this is a good time to show the Worst Offside Trap Ever....

https://streamable.com/3ymo0

worcesterhibby
26-03-2021, 11:05 AM
I did say "pretty much" but the vast majority can be made obvious by the technology. The TV companies will always do that so there's really no reason for the refs to ignore it.

personally I think the rule should be that there has to be clear daylight, between the forward and the defender for them to be offside. There would be far less contentious decisions and far more of the really close calls would result in a goal. It gives the slight advantage to attacking players and would lead to more goals which surely has to be a good thing ?

Peevemor
26-03-2021, 11:07 AM
personally I think the rule should be that there has to be clear daylight, between the forward and the defender for them to be offside. There would be far less contentious decisions and far more of the really close calls would result in a goal. It gives the slight advantage to attacking players and would lead to more goals which surely has to be a good thing ?

How would that work for floodlit matches? :confused:

worcesterhibby
26-03-2021, 11:08 AM

If they don't re-instate that music as the music for Sportscene next season I will attack the BBC Studios with a trained group of earwigs !

worcesterhibby
26-03-2021, 11:11 AM
How would that work for floodlit matches? :confused:

You know what I meant :na na:

Peevemor
26-03-2021, 11:17 AM
You know what I meant :na na:

Sorry - I've had folk asking me stupid questions all morning at work so I'd thought I'd get my own back.

Hibbyradge
26-03-2021, 11:48 AM
Sorry - I've had folk asking me stupid questions all morning at work so I'd thought I'd get my own back.

All morning?

Peevemor
26-03-2021, 11:53 AM
All morning?

I'm not biting. :greengrin

worcesterhibby
26-03-2021, 12:23 PM
I think this is a good time to show the Worst Offside Trap Ever....

https://streamable.com/3ymo0

While that video is hilarious, surely Kent IS offside when Morelos plays him in as the ball goes forward ?

nonshinyfinish
26-03-2021, 12:26 PM
While that video is hilarious, surely Kent IS offside when Morelos plays him in as the ball goes forward ?

Kent is behind the ball when it's played, so not offside.

(Also, while in 99% of offside cases the ball does go forward, that's not part of the law and it's entirely possible to have an offside offence where the ball goes backward.)

Northernhibee
26-03-2021, 12:28 PM
I'd like to see it trialled that the line from offsides not counting gets moved from the halfway line to about 25 yards out - enough for the keeper to come out and hoover up a long ball if it gets punted up the pitch to a poacher.

worcesterhibby
26-03-2021, 12:30 PM
Kent is behind the ball when it's played, so not offside.

(Also, while in 99% of offside cases the ball does go forward, that's not part of the law and it's entirely possible to have an offside offence where the ball goes backward.)

Apologies your right, at first watch it looks like it's passed forward to him, but he is behind the ball when it's passed. Thanks for clearing it up !

Sammy7nil
26-03-2021, 01:09 PM
It was tried in the Drybrough cup with no offside unless you were within 18 yds of the goal not deemed a success and dumped.

Eyrie
26-03-2021, 05:59 PM
VAR should be restricted to the "clear and obvious" errors, so simply put a very short time limit on the review and restrict the number of times a given angle can be viewed.

If it's clear and obvious, it will be picked up quickly. If it's about whether the wind blew the attacker's nasal hair too far forward then it's not clear and obvious.

StirlingHibee
26-03-2021, 06:56 PM

Not entirely serious mate and you'll be reassured that, no, I haven't played the game beyond Youth level. I do think though that something needs to change with the current rule.

wookie70
26-03-2021, 07:28 PM

Offside is offside. Over the line is over the line.

Technology is applied in terms of speeding fines but a margin of error is built in to make sure the calls are correct. I'm not sure what speed they shoot film at but say it is 60 frames a second. If you can even see the exact frame the ball is struck that still means there is a 1/60th of a second worth of debate and with players crossing at speed there is no way that it will be that accurate imo. It is presented as fact but I suspect there is quite a decent margin for error and that should go to the attacking team. I shoot loads of sports photography, or did when we had freedom. My camera shoots 20 frames a second and the difference between frames is huge. Normal UK TV is 24fps I think. Here are two images taken 1/20th second apart, lockdown means I have no shots of sports so apologies for the Dog images but they serve to show what I mean. Look at the position of her legs and how far she has travelled in relation to the background while I panned the camera and now think about how quickly a players legs and arms are moving combine with another player going the other way. I don't think technology is accurate enough yet and would like to know the specs of the equipment. If it is extremely high speed slow motion cameras then perhaps it is accurate enough. IF it is typical 60/120 fps then there is a margin and it should be able to be calculated in terms of time and then translated into how far a part of a player could travel in that time and doubled as there are two players. Hope that makes some sense as it is how I see it.

I agree with you when it comes to over the line in goal line decisions as that is a static situation with only one moving object and unless we can see the ball over the line it shouldn't be a goal.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51074353516_51deaca51c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kPgpU1)_CDB6843_1 (https://flic.kr/p/2kPgpU1) by Simon Wootton (https://www.flickr.com/photos/192612307@N07/), on Flickr
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51074353496_54d685e77c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kPgpTE)_CDB6844_1 (https://flic.kr/p/2kPgpTE) by Simon Wootton (https://www.flickr.com/photos/192612307@N07/), on Flickr