PDA

View Full Version : Communications Department

Vault Boy
25-03-2021, 02:08 PM
This week we've seen two members of the comms team move on from the Club, with Kenny Millar finishing up on Tuesday and David Ronney just announcing on Twitter that he's joining Everton.

Firstly, I think they've done a great job whilst in post. Hibs' communication is night and day compared to a few years ago - thanks for your work gents and wishing you both the very best for what lies ahead.

We'll have a temporary communications manager in post from Monday, with the new permanent communications and content manager starting in May. Looking forward to seeing the ideas they bring to the table

BroxburnHibee
25-03-2021, 02:21 PM
This week we've seen two members of the comms team move on from the Club, with Kenny Millar finishing up on Tuesday and David Ronney just announcing on Twitter that he's joining Everton.

Firstly, I think they've done a great job whilst in post. Hibs' communication is night and day compared to a few years ago - thanks for your work gents and wishing you both the very best for what lies ahead.

We'll have a temporary communications manager in post from Monday, with the new permanent communications and content manager stating in May. Looking forward to seeing the ideas they bring to the table

:top marks

oneone73
25-03-2021, 02:22 PM
Where's Kenny off to?

04Sauzee
25-03-2021, 02:31 PM
I didn't realise Kenny was leaving, gutted about that tbh he's always cone across brilliantly and always been great with me any times i havs dealt with him.

Didn't his brother just leave recently also?

overdrive
25-03-2021, 02:36 PM
I didn't realise Kenny was leaving, gutted about that tbh he's always cone across brilliantly and always been great with me any times i havs dealt with him.

Colin did, yes.

Bright_Hibee
25-03-2021, 03:28 PM

We'll have a temporary communications manager in post from Monday, with the new permanent communications and content manager stating in May. Looking forward to seeing the ideas they bring to the table

As an overseas fan I haven't seen any improvement in this space for a few years. The content isn't alluring to me and the written stuff online is tabloid Q&A style which is poor. Can you please say what has legitimately improved in that time? I just feel like the club in 2015 felt closer to me than the club does now.

Interesting to note that they've both left at the same time judging by your post. In my opinion this suggests a forced removal. Did they leave for better things, jump, or were they pushed? Good to see that one of them has something else lined up, though I suspect based on timing of them both departing that Ron has swung the axe. I see someone else has referenced Kenny's brother leaving too which definitely raises my eyebrows. Ron maybe just doesn't fancy them.

I wish them all nothing but the best for the future, even if I wasn't overly enamoured with their work for the club.

matty_f
25-03-2021, 03:35 PM

Would echo that, Kenny has been really supportive of what we did with the podcast (Longbangers) and various other wee bits and bobs here and there. He's a good lad.

25-03-2021, 04:06 PM

Don't know the other chap but Kenny has always come across as a good guy. Anyway, best of luck to both of them.

jws1875
25-03-2021, 04:53 PM
Kenny recently unbanned me from the official twitter account after I tweeted some constructive words about Ryan Mcgivern a few years ago 😂

oldbutdim
25-03-2021, 08:31 PM
Good Hibs man is Kenny.
Done a power of work on testimonial committees too.

Likeable bloke too.

Brightside
25-03-2021, 08:50 PM
Big fan of Kenny. Looking forward to what comes next.

Hibee Mac
25-03-2021, 09:29 PM
The best connection I felt with the club due to comms etc was without doubt the Stubbs era with Tom Zinelli doing stuff like outside the box and Fontaine of knowledge.

It's been far too clinical feeling of late, there's a place for that but I think there should also be a place for more laid back and creative stuff to come from the club which engages fans with the players.

CB Hibs 68
25-03-2021, 09:30 PM

First I have heard of this.Blame the Comms Team myself.

Stanton Spence
25-03-2021, 09:31 PM
As an overseas fan I haven't seen any improvement in this space for a few years. The content isn't alluring to me and the written stuff online is tabloid Q&A style which is poor. Can you please say what has legitimately improved in that time? I just feel like the club in 2015 felt closer to me than the club does now.

Interesting to note that they've both left at the same time judging by your post. In my opinion this suggests a forced removal. Did they leave for better things, jump, or were they pushed? Good to see that one of them has something else lined up, though I suspect based on timing of them both departing that Ron has swung the axe. I see someone else has referenced Kenny's brother leaving too which definitely raises my eyebrows. Ron maybe just doesn't fancy them.

I wish them all nothing but the best for the future, even if I wasn't overly enamoured with their work for the club.I agree with you mate and haven't noticed any great changes in communacations between club and fans. In fact I didn't even know who David Rooney is or what he does so his communacation skills didn't reach me [emoji3]

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

bingo70
25-03-2021, 09:42 PM
With Kenny and Colin Miller leaving, this other communication boy leaving, Dempster leaving months ago and not replaced yet, is there a time we become a bit concerned with things off the park at the club?

I’ve been probably overly critical of the manager at times this season but I can’t help but think if we weren’t doing pretty well on the pitch just now we would be a bit more anxious about what’s happening off it. If we’d appointed a Stendel instead of Ross I think this place would have a different feel about it.

Big few weeks ahead for the club I think.

Stanton Spence
25-03-2021, 09:47 PM
With Kenny and Colin Miller leaving, this other communication boy leaving, Dempster leaving months ago and not replaced yet, is there a time we become a bit concerned with things off the park at the club?

I’ve been probably overly critical of the manager at times this season but I can’t help but think if we weren’t doing pretty well on the pitch just now we would be a bit more anxious about what’s happening off it. If we’d appointed a Stendel instead of Ross I think this place would have a different feel about it.

Big few weeks ahead for the club I think.I'm sure Ron will have his own ideas on what's needed to be successful off the park. It's probably a bit blind faith from me but I just get good vibes from the gadgey and hopefully he will get the right folk involved in taking us up another level

bingo70
25-03-2021, 09:50 PM
I'm sure Ron will have his own ideas on what's needed to be successful off the park. It's probably a bit blind faith from me but I just get good vibes from the gadgey and hopefully he will get the right folk involved in taking us up another level

So do I to be fair.

I like Ron and I trust him, I’m just a wee bit concerned at good Hibs people leaving combined with Dempster not being replaced yet.

I wouldn’t say alarm bells are ringing as such, it’s maybe just on my radar a wee bit that if Ross wasn’t doing a good job on the park, people would be saying lore about what’s happening off it.

Hibee Mac
25-03-2021, 09:53 PM

Big few weeks ahead for the club I think.Wouldn't say we're almost at panic stations because a couple of Comms guys have left the club.

Yes Dempster is an important piece of the puzzle who has not been replaced yet, but I think a lot of that comes down to the covid situation and we've obviously found a temporary workaround since she left

bingo70
25-03-2021, 09:56 PM
Wouldn't say we're almost at panic stations because a couple of Comms guys have left the club.

Yes Dempster is an important piece of the puzzle who has not been replaced yet, but I think a lot of that comes down to the covid situation and we've obviously found a temporary workaround since she left

Agreed, nowhere near panic stations.

More just an observation that good Hibs people have left the club combined with Dempster leaving and not being replaced has made me sit up and take a bit notice.

green day
25-03-2021, 10:02 PM
So do I to be fair.

I like Ron and I trust him, I’m just a wee bit concerned at good Hibs people leaving combined with Dempster not being replaced yet.

I wouldn’t say alarm bells are ringing as such, it’s maybe just on my radar a wee bit that if Ross wasn’t doing a good job on the park, people would be saying lore about what’s happening off it.

Almost no fans of any football club really care about who the chief exec is, backroom staff, finances, who comes in, who leaves, the ticket office, the website etc etc......as long as the first team are doing well.

Sweeping statement, but broadly right imo 😁

Hibee Mac
25-03-2021, 10:06 PM
Agreed, nowhere near panic stations.

More just an observation that good Hibs people have left the club combined with Dempster leaving and not being replaced has made me sit up and take a bit notice.Yeh, I agree with what you said around results and Jack Ross though. You're right that had we been poor this season questions might be getting asked on why we let X or y go without replacing, but I think they would be a bit too early if so.

I think its important to give some extra time to Ron given the whole covid situation, we have to remember that just before covid hit we were hearing all about Ron's 5 year plan, potential screens at the ground etc etc. He will have had to revisit things over the last 12 months and it's important to fill positions like Dempster with the right person, not just rush to get anyone in the door asap.

bingo70
25-03-2021, 10:09 PM
Almost no fans of any football club really care about who the chief exec is, backroom staff, finances, who comes in, who leaves, the ticket office, the website etc etc......as long as the first team are doing well.

Sweeping statement, but broadly right imo 😁

I’m not far off that myself to be fair.

If we appoint Dempster replacement tomorrow I won’t really care again. I think with it being months ago she left and no replacement yet I probably am a bit aware that if things weren’t right on the park people would be going a bit more radge.

Stanton Spence
25-03-2021, 10:17 PM

Sweeping statement, but broadly right imo [emoji16]I was exactly like that when we first announced Leanne Dempster was joining the hibs and actually think I posted something on here the day hibs announced her arrival and said something along the lines of so ****ing what she can't put the baw in the net. I think I underestimated how much of a positive a really good CEO can be for any club and I had to munch a wee bit humble pie

HibeeSince85
25-03-2021, 10:18 PM
Ron is the executive chairman. Maybe the need for a chief exec isn't as high up the list as it might be if the chairman is hands on. He doesn't need to be at a desk at ER to get things done.

bingo70
25-03-2021, 10:25 PM
Ron is the executive chairman. Maybe the need for a chief exec isn't as high up the list as it might be if the chairman is hands on. He doesn't need to be at a desk at ER to get things done.

Maybe. Why not say that then though?

I’m a big believer that sometimes the best time to speak to your ‘customers’ (i hate that word in that context) is when you have nothing to say.

Season ticket sales are coming up soon, I’m sure the club will want to speak to us then. IMO if you speak to supporters when you’ve got nothing to say but want to stay in touch, it makes it easier to ask for money when the time comes.

Ultimately it’s no that big a deal, as long as the team are doing alright on the park people will still want to get season tickets. That doesn’t mean things couldn’t be handled better behind the scenes though, things won’t be going this well on the pitch forever.

Brightside
25-03-2021, 10:28 PM
Not knowing who the comms people are isn’t a bad thing. The job is to promote the club across all the socials not promote themselves. My view is our socials have been pretty good through this pandemic. Let’s see what the future brings.

HibeeSince85
25-03-2021, 10:37 PM
Maybe. Why not say that then though?

I’m a big believer that sometimes the best time to speak to your ‘customers’ (i hate that word in that context) is when you have nothing to say.

Season ticket sales are coming up soon, I’m sure the club will want to speak to us then. IMO if you speak to supporters when you’ve got nothing to say but want to stay in touch, it makes it easier to ask for money when the time comes.

Ultimately it’s no that big a deal, as long as the team are doing alright on the park people will still want to get season tickets. That doesn’t mean things couldn’t be handled better behind the scenes though, things won’t be going this well on the pitch forever.

I think once society starts to open up we will see a lot more appointments and content being delivered from the club. At the start of the pandemic we made is clear we wanted to divert all energies and monies into the first team and I think that is just what we are doing. Once Europe is delivered and budgets can be properly reviewed and signed off then we will see money being spent elsewhere in the club rather than just the first team.

bingo70
25-03-2021, 10:41 PM
Not knowing who the comms people are isn’t a bad thing. The job is to promote the club across all the socials not promote themselves. My view is our socials have been pretty good through this pandemic. Let’s see what the future brings.

I agree to an extent and of course we will all just wait till we see what the future brings, nobody will be rioting at the prospect of a couple of comma guys leaving.

That said, I think one of my concerns is that not many people leave their job during a pandemic through choice (ironically I did but that’s a different story).

The fact it’s Hibs fans leaving jobs working for Hibs during a pandemic that seems a bit odd.

Without knowing any of the facts and using absolute guess work, my assumption would be that they’d either been sacked (seems unlikely seeing as they seemed to be popular guys), they’ve quit (seems unlikely considering how hard it would be to get work elsewhere just now) or they’ve left as they’re not happy at the club (that’s the option that worries me)

Time will tell what the truth is, if it was just a couple of comms guys leaving I wouldn’t give a **** if truth be told. It’s that it’s comms guys who are big Hibs fans leaving during a pandemic when there isn’t many other jobs about that ‘worries’ me a bit.

As I said though, if Hibs appoint Dempster replacement tomorrow I will instantly forget about them, no offence to the Millars of course.

Smartie
25-03-2021, 11:46 PM
I agree to an extent and of course we will all just wait till we see what the future brings, nobody will be rioting at the prospect of a couple of comma guys leaving.

That said, I think one of my concerns is that not many people leave their job during a pandemic through choice (ironically I did but that’s a different story).

The fact it’s Hibs fans leaving jobs working for Hibs during a pandemic that seems a bit odd.

Without knowing any of the facts and using absolute guess work, my assumption would be that they’d either been sacked (seems unlikely seeing as they seemed to be popular guys), they’ve quit (seems unlikely considering how hard it would be to get work elsewhere just now) or they’ve left as they’re not happy at the club (that’s the option that worries me)

Time will tell what the truth is, if it was just a couple of comms guys leaving I wouldn’t give a **** if truth be told. It’s that it’s comms guys who are big Hibs fans leaving during a pandemic when there isn’t many other jobs about that ‘worries’ me a bit.

As I said though, if Hibs appoint Dempster replacement tomorrow I will instantly forget about them, no offence to the Millars of course.

I share your concerns.

Not anywhere near panic stations for now but we have had a few good people leave the club recently.

Time will tell but I’m raising an eyebrow, which is many stages short of demonstrating out the back of the West Stand.

bigwheel
26-03-2021, 01:24 AM
I share your concerns.

Not anywhere near panic stations for now but we have had a few good people leave the club recently.

Time will tell but I’m raising an eyebrow, which is many stages short of demonstrating out the back of the West Stand.

I’d say the amount of turnover of non playing personnel in our club of late is at least worth noting. These are not redundancies, these are active roles that people are choosing to move on from. Higher turnover than in recent years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CloudSquall
26-03-2021, 01:27 AM
Personally thought the communication from the club has been piss poor in the last couple or so years and nothing compared to the period around Stubbs' time in charge.

Heckys Wheel
26-03-2021, 05:23 AM
We all know football is a ruthless industry and I’m all for Ron and his team striving to make us better but the guys working in the background at clubs like Hibs aren’t on footballers salaries. They’re just normal guys trying to earn a living. Ron’s clear out of the office staff since he’s came in means these guys are out of a job during a time it’s not that easy to find a new one. I hope they all find something to move onto.

Ozyhibby
26-03-2021, 08:37 AM
I would say there has been a definite improvement in Hibs commercial department since RG arrived and he is much more concerned with the quality of the team than Petrie. If he feels we need changes then he has my backing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2021, 08:45 AM
We all know football is a ruthless industry and I’m all for Ron and his team striving to make us better but the guys working in the background at clubs like Hibs aren’t on footballers salaries. They’re just normal guys trying to earn a living. Ron’s clear out of the office staff since he’s came in means these guys are out of a job during a time it’s not that easy to find a new one. I hope they all find something to move onto.

It reads to me that they have both moved on to other jobs.

Peevemor
26-03-2021, 08:53 AM
TBH I was expecting the club's PR output to be far more dynamic with someone like Kenny Millar in place. I'm probably being unfair because I don't know what his job entails from day to day - plus there's been the small issue of Covid to work through. However PR that's been coming from ER strikes me as being the minimum, though there may well be reasons behind this.

PatHead
26-03-2021, 08:53 AM
Although back room and support staff are not something that normally concerns us it is really important things are right behind the scenes. That part of the club was a mess before Leeann arrived. Though her appointment recognised the shortcomings.
Just take a look at Celtic this season. They had been getting things wrong off the park and it transferred into the playing staff.

overdrive
26-03-2021, 09:17 AM
I’d say the amount of turnover of non playing personnel in our club of late is at least worth noting. These are not redundancies, these are active roles that people are choosing to move on from. Higher turnover than in recent years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if the time taken to replace LD is the issue here. Lack of day to day leadership leading to people getting hacked off and leaving.

18Craig75
26-03-2021, 09:18 AM
TBH I was expecting the club's PR output to be far more dynamic with someone like Kenny Millar in place. I'm probably being unfair because I don't know what his job entails from day to day - plus there's been the small issue of Covid to work through. However PR that's been coming from ER strikes me as being the minimum, though there may well be reasons behind this.

I made comments to the same effect earlier in the year. I felt the club could’ve been more proactive in getting more content out to fans as the team returned for the season, given there was months without any news, and we’d all shelled out for season tickets full in the knowledge we wouldn’t be seeing any live action.

KM private messages me through Hibs.net, explaining pretty much the whole department was on furlough and they had limited access given the Covid regulations.

Good luck to them all, we’ve had some great outreach on Twitter throughout the last few years, I know they had built a studio at East Mains which they probably haven’t had any use out of due to Covid.

I really like what Motherwell do with their output, it’s almost ‘fly on the wall’ coverage. The raw passion really comes through. I watched a 10 minute round table discussion between their black players the other day and it’s the most powerful piece of content I’ve seen from any club.

Pretty Boy
26-03-2021, 09:23 AM
The best connection I felt with the club due to comms etc was without doubt the Stubbs era with Tom Zinelli doing stuff like outside the box and Fontaine of knowledge.

It's been far too clinical feeling of late, there's a place for that but I think there should also be a place for more laid back and creative stuff to come from the club which engages fans with the players.

I agree. The player/fan interaction then was brilliant.

I think it helped having guys like Bartley, Fontaine, McGinn and Cummings around who all embraced it and were willing to really throw themselves into it. It's arguably a bit more professional now but also more clinical and less fun.

In saying that I can't speak highly enough of Kenny Millar. He took the time to PM me a couple of times on here when I asked questions on the forum, he doesn't have to do that. He's also helped out on another couple of things.

I'll be interested to see where we go next with the comms side of things. I definitely think there is scope to have the players more visible.

Pretty Boy
26-03-2021, 09:28 AM
I wonder if the time taken to replace LD is the issue here. Lack of day to day leadership leading to people getting hacked off and leaving.

It may be a factor but marketing and comms jobs tend not to be roles in which people hang about for years and years. It's a competitive world and one in which people are always keen to climb the ladder.

Kenny done 18 months at the SFA and just over 2 years at Hibs. I don't think that's particularly unusual in the field.

green day
26-03-2021, 10:18 AM
I really like what Motherwell do with their output, it’s almost ‘fly on the wall’ coverage. The raw passion really comes through. I watched a 10 minute round table discussion between their black players the other day and it’s the most powerful piece of content I’ve seen from any club.

Consistently good social media, done with (iirc) a very small team and good utilisation of technology.

In fact I think a lot of what Motherwell do in the "back office" is good............and, again, with a significantly smaller team than us.

worcesterhibby
26-03-2021, 10:45 AM
It may be a factor but marketing and comms jobs tend not to be roles in which people hang about for years and years. It's a competitive world and one in which people are always keen to climb the ladder.

Kenny done 18 months at the SFA and just over 2 years at Hibs. I don't think that's particularly unusual in the field.

I would back this up. I work for a Sports Governing Body and our Marketing staff seem to leave every 18-24 months, once their time with us has added to their CV. At that point I normally get roped into covering for them for 3 months while we recruit. It happened again during Covid and this time I've actually applied for the job since I seem to end up doing it so often anyway ! :greengrin

18Craig75
26-03-2021, 12:06 PM
Maybe Drey Wright has been lined up to take on the role after successful presenter duties recently 😂😂

04Sauzee
26-03-2021, 01:11 PM
I would back this up. I work for a Sports Governing Body and our Marketing staff seem to leave every 18-24 months, once their time with us has added to their CV. At that point I normally get roped into covering for them for 3 months while we recruit. It happened again during Covid and this time I've actually applied for the job since I seem to end up doing it so often anyway ! :greengrin
Hope you are successful with your application 👍

worcesterhibby
26-03-2021, 01:15 PM
Hope you are successful with your application 👍

Cheers Franck :greengrin

Bright_Hibee
26-03-2021, 04:07 PM
I made comments to the same effect earlier in the year. I felt the club could’ve been more proactive in getting more content out to fans as the team returned for the season, given there was months without any news, and we’d all shelled out for season tickets full in the knowledge we wouldn’t be seeing any live action.

KM private messages me through Hibs.net, explaining pretty much the whole department was on furlough and they had limited access given the Covid regulations.

Good luck to them all, we’ve had some great outreach on Twitter throughout the last few years, I know they had built a studio at East Mains which they probably haven’t had any use out of due to Covid.

I don't watch anything other clubs do, but I have read Motherwell mentioned a few times on here. I might have a look over the weekend if I find the time.

Our club's content is really bad though. The pandemic has had an impact, but even the written interviews online just feel hastily put together as Q&As and are generally poor. Even Hibs TV a few years ago had things being highlighted that were on it but harder to find. I enjoyed watching highlights of us beating Bayern Munich and it had a write up on the website. Everything in the past year or so has been the bare minimum, which is a real shame.

I repeat my best wishes to them for the future, but nothing has improved and I feel distanced from my club as a result.

LustForLeith
26-03-2021, 04:14 PM
Big fan of Kenny, met him a couple of times on a personal level.

Hope he returns one day in a coaching role

WhileTheChief..
26-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Is it Hibs TV we’re talking about here or social media stuff like Twitter or Facebook too?

I see match highlights and interviews on Hibs TV without subscribing but I don’t follow Hibs anywhere else online.

Is it worth following them on all the different platforms?

Brightside
26-03-2021, 04:56 PM
I've no idea what people think is missing when it comes to comms from Hibs. They cover all the socials with updates every day.... thats it. What else do people want?

Peevemor
26-03-2021, 06:08 PM
I've no idea what people think is missing when it comes to comms from Hibs. They cover all the socials with updates every day.... thats it. What else do people want?I think the biggest problem is that Tom Zinelli (often sponsored by Marathon Bet) spoiled us.

People generally expect something more attention grabbing than standard updates. It doesn't have to be big budget either.

As I said before, I'm not looking to criticise Kenny Millar (who I rate), who must have been working in weird circumstances over the past year.