PDA

View Full Version : Yves Ma-Kalambay

theonlywayisup
24-03-2021, 08:27 PM
Was watching the Belgium Wales game and wondered what Vincent Kompany was up to. On reading his Wiki page it states:

Among his friends are former Chelsea goalkeeper Yves Ma-Kalambay and former Manchester United defender Floribert N'Galula, both of whom he consulted about his move to England before joining Manchester City.

Never knew that.

Then wondered about how many games did Yves play. Isn't it amazing that he's only played 66 club games in his now ended career, 57 of which were for Hibs.So nine games in a 13 year career, excluding his time at Hibs.

DH1875
24-03-2021, 08:34 PM
Was watching the Belgium Wales game and wondered what Vincent Kompany was up to. On reading his Wiki page it states:

Among his friends are former Chelsea goalkeeper Yves Ma-Kalambay and former Manchester United defender Floribert N'Galula, both of whom he consulted about his move to England before joining Manchester City.

Never knew that.

Then wondered about how many games did Yves play. Isn't it amazing that he's only played 66 club games in his now ended career, 57 of which were for Hibs.So nine games in a 13 year career, excluding his time at Hibs.

Reserve team goalie. Cracking gig if you can get it (at a pro level).

Scouse Hibee
24-03-2021, 11:36 PM

Never knew that.

One of the worst keepers I have ever seen so no surprise to me.

oldbutdim
24-03-2021, 11:52 PM
Can’t believe he was rated by some Hibs fans.

My opinion is he was x - rated.

Ma- Kalamity.

CloudSquall
25-03-2021, 12:02 AM
I always held out hope for him until he feigned an injury so he didn't have to play in front of Hearts fans in the 2nd half of a derby at ER.

Steve20
25-03-2021, 05:53 AM
He wasn't great, but he was nowhere near as bad as some people made out.

Not that this is saying much, but I'd take him over Simon Brown, Zibi, Ben Williams, Mark Brown or Graeme Smith, who were all horrendous keepers. As I say, it's not saying much but just pointing out when people say he's the worst keeper we've had, they're talking nonsense.

Pretty Boy
25-03-2021, 06:07 AM
Really nice guy. Had a few brilliant moments, a save from Samaras that was unreal springs to mind. I reckon if someone was inclined to do so you could make a 5 minute YouTube video that would make him look world class.

He just wasn't very good though. I actually felt sorry for him. He came in at a time when there was a lot of scrutiny on Hibs goalkeepers; fans and pundits alike were just waiting on a mistake. We needed an experienced head who knew the league and could handle that. Instead John Collins thought a 20 year old who had never played a 1st team game was the answer. Both him and Andy McNeil were bereft of confidence by half way through that season, neither really recovered.

JimBHibees
25-03-2021, 06:12 AM
One of the worst keepers I have ever seen so no surprise to me.

Agree horrific on so many levels.

Crunchie
25-03-2021, 06:30 AM
Agree horrific on so many levels.
Nowhere near as bad as horrific, sure he made some mistakes but you tell me a Hibs keeper who hasn't, including the present one. Not many Hibs keepers will debut in a Derby at tincastle and keep a clean sheet in a winning team.

Smartie
25-03-2021, 06:31 AM
Really nice guy. Had a few brilliant moments, a save from Samaras that was unreal springs to mind. I reckon if someone was inclined to do so you could make a 5 minute YouTube video that would make him look world class.

He just wasn't very good though. I actually felt sorry for him. He came in at a time when there was a lot of scrutiny on Hibs goalkeepers; fans and pundits alike were just waiting on a mistake. We needed an experienced head who knew the league and could handle that. Instead John Collins thought a 20 year old who had never played a 1st team game was the answer. Both him and Andy McNeil were bereft of confidence by half way through that season, neither really recovered.

You could make a 5 minute highlight reel that would make the biggest clubs in the world sit up and take notice.

You could also make up a 5 minute highlight reel that would make your average pub league goalkeeper blush.

In all honesty I quite liked him and never thought he was as bad as our worst keepers. I always thought he needed games, experience and mainly just to be a few years more mature in order to improve his concentration levels and cut out the daft stuff (not unlike Porteous atm) but a career as back-up seems to have been where he has gone.

Hiber-nation
25-03-2021, 06:37 AM

Not that this is saying much, but I'd take him over Simon Brown, Zibi, Ben Williams, Mark Brown or Graeme Smith, who were all horrendous keepers. As I say, it's not saying much but just pointing out when people say he's the worst keeper we've had, they're talking nonsense.

Although Williams had a few clangers I'd rank him well above Maka. You would close your eyes every time a ball came into the box when Maka was in goals.

Hibernian Verse
25-03-2021, 06:45 AM
Surprised to see Ben Williams getting stick. I thought he was a good goalie at our level.

jeffers
25-03-2021, 07:07 AM
Surprised to see Ben Williams getting stick. I thought he was a good goalie at our level.

Me too. He could teach Rocky a thing or two about saving penalties.

Newhaven
25-03-2021, 07:28 AM
I always held out hope for him until he feigned an injury so he didn't have to play in front of Hearts fans in the 2nd half of a derby at ER.

I thought that was against Rangers but remember Bamba having a go at him.

Think part of the problem at that time was the keepers were being trained by Gordon Marshall who’s track record was horrific with keepers.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2021, 07:30 AM
Which premiership/top Championship side does he play for? :tee hee:

hibsbollah
25-03-2021, 07:33 AM

This is about right. More than most positions keepers need to be lucky. He was just really really unlucky (clearance off the erchie of the Aberdeen player doesn’t end up bouncing into the net 9 times out of 10, the fumble over the line in the derby would have been a great short range save if it hadn’t had taken a bobble, plus his mistakes always seem to fall in big games at crucial moments). I never thought Jones’ ranting at him helped much either. Just never worked out for him, although has been said he continued his career as a back up and probably has a decent life so good luck to him.

Since452
25-03-2021, 07:35 AM
Only reason he was a keeper was because he was massive. He was hopeless. He was like the big tall guy at school who always got put in goals but wasn't very good.

Onceinawhile
25-03-2021, 07:38 AM

Not sure I would go as far as good, but he was definitely better than Makalamby in his first season. From memory though, his second season was pretty guff. Though that might just have been the Terry Butcheritis that afflicted everyone at the time.

I thought that was against Rangers but remember Bamba having a go at him.

Think part of the problem at that time was the keepers were being trained by Gordon Marshall who’s track record was horrific with keepers.

I think he may have done it more than once tbf.

Willis1875
25-03-2021, 07:44 AM
Was having a decent 09/10 season sharing duties with Stack until his erse collapsed round about Boxing Day against Rangers which ultimately seen Yogi go out and sign Graeme Smith,sure we had the joint best defensive record in Britain going into that Rangers game

Allant1981
25-03-2021, 07:44 AM

Ben Williams was nowhere near being a horrendous keeper

AgentDaleCooper
25-03-2021, 07:47 AM
Ben williams was the first not-awful keeper we had since daniel anderson IMO, possibly excluding Stack.

Crab apple
25-03-2021, 07:59 AM
Was having a decent 09/10 season sharing duties with Stack until his erse collapsed round about Boxing Day against Rangers which ultimately seen Yogi go out and sign Graeme Smith,sure we had the joint best defensive record in Britain going into that Rangers game

Smith was poor but there was something seriously wrong with his performance in the Motherwell game.

hibsbollah
25-03-2021, 08:01 AM
I’d rather all the goalies mentioned above to Mark Brown, who’s main purpose in life was to hide, come for nothing and never actually pull off a save. The invisible goalie.

Crab apple
25-03-2021, 08:02 AM
Ben Williams was nowhere near being a horrendous keeper

Agreed. I'd add Ole Gottskalskon to the horrendous list.

Willis1875
25-03-2021, 08:10 AM
Smith was poor but there was something seriously wrong with his performance in the Motherwell game.

He was murder!Big Yogi went from signing Krul and Schmeichel at Falkirk to Smith and Brown at Hibs

delbert
25-03-2021, 08:14 AM

Made Liam Craig look lion hearted !!

FilipinoHibs
25-03-2021, 08:15 AM
His record at Tynie is not bad.

Pretty Boy
25-03-2021, 08:56 AM
Only reason he was a keeper was because he was massive. He was hopeless. He was like the big tall guy at school who always got put in goals but wasn't very good.

You could be talking about me there. That hurts😂

BILLYHIBS
25-03-2021, 09:26 AM
My Calamity

Lendo
25-03-2021, 10:07 AM
Terrible keeper but an incredibly lovely bloke. Used to live round the corner from me and would chat occasionally in Margiotta on Dundas Street.

Hibs90
25-03-2021, 10:16 AM
I liked him, at least for a while. You could see there was potential but ultimately lacked the mindset to further his career.

G15 Hibs
25-03-2021, 10:26 AM
I found this interview with him from last summer:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/big-interview-former-hibs-keeper-yves-ma-kalambay-experiencing-dressing-room-shooting-racial-profiling-and-abuse-and-stalking-his-former-club-2948671

Some quite interesting thoughts on the stereotyping of black footballers and how his lack of maturity at the time in relation to these expectations affected his game, which is quite interesting in relation to what's been said on this thread. Essentially aye, his age and inexperience didn't help him, but I thought he could have been decent with a proper bit of coaching and a few more years under his belt. Not to be.

He had quite a terrifying time in Romania!

Iain G
25-03-2021, 10:38 AM

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/big-interview-former-hibs-keeper-yves-ma-kalambay-experiencing-dressing-room-shooting-racial-profiling-and-abuse-and-stalking-his-former-club-2948671

Some quite interesting thoughts on the stereotyping of black footballers and how his lack of maturity at the time in relation to these expectations affected his game, which is quite interesting in relation to what's been said on this thread. Essentially aye, his age and inexperience didn't help him, but I thought he could have been decent with a proper bit of coaching and a few more years under his belt. Not to be.

He was very raw and got thrown straight in. With good coaching and time to develop things may have tuned out better for him, he was still young when he joined us. And rather have him than Zibi or Simon Clown...both the stuff of nightmares.

hibsbollah
25-03-2021, 10:48 AM

I remember reading that, very intelligent interview.

Steve88
25-03-2021, 11:06 AM
Still laugh at his blunder vs Aberdeen ..

Pretty Boy
25-03-2021, 11:56 AM

I think coaching played a part but he had several years at Chelsea working under Silvino Louro, one of the most respected goalkeeping coaches in the world. Guys like Vitor Baia, Julio Cesar, Peter Cech and Carlo Cuidicini rave about him.

I think inexperience and ultimately limited ability were the biggest factors in his lack of progression. It happens all the time in football. Talented youngsters just can't take that final step to the 1st team, be that because of a mentally issue or a stagnation in their development.

Highwayman
25-03-2021, 12:54 PM
The first time I saw Ma-Kalambay was in a pre-season friendly at Stirling Albion in July 2007.
My first reaction was look at the size of this guy,with his arms up he looked about 10 feet tall.
I thought he should be fine with high balls and crosses.WRONG.
Also making his debut that day was Alan O’Brien.He came on as a sub and went off down the wing like a rocket.
One of the Bino players put him up in the air.O’Brien came down did a somersault and set off like a rocket again.I thought this guy makes Ivan Sproule look like he’s running backwards.IIRC he set up a cross for Clayton Donaldson to score.I thought this guy is going to be some signing for us.
WRONG AGAIN.

Scouse Hibee
25-03-2021, 12:59 PM

I would say you’re talking nonsense rating him above most you have mentioned, he was gash. Opinions eh!

Diclonius
25-03-2021, 12:59 PM
Malkowski, Simon Brown, McNeil, Ma-Kalambay, Stack, Smith, Mark Brown - our reputation for terrible goalkeepers in the late 00s and early 10s was entirely deserved.

Fortunately since then we've done much better with Williams, Oxley, Logan, Marciano and arguably Laidlaw.

Magpie
25-03-2021, 01:10 PM
Ben williams was the first not-awful keeper we had since daniel anderson IMO, possibly excluding Stack.

I liked Williams. Remember his late penalty save against Aberdeen, he saved us that game. Possibly the same game Deegan scored a screamer?

IIRC he actually saved another penalty against Aberdeen in a 0-0 the week before too.

MWHIBBIES
25-03-2021, 01:59 PM

Williams is significantly better than Maka. Isn't even close.