PDA

View Full Version : Murphy one year option

steelendhibs
21-03-2021, 03:03 PM
Anybody know if the Jamie Murphy year loan automatically turns into a one year contract or not? In terms of quality of player I would want to keep him, but in terms of his actual availability to play I would be inclined not to

MWHIBBIES
21-03-2021, 03:04 PM
Its not an option. Its done, he is joining.

jeffers
21-03-2021, 03:06 PM
Anybody know if the Jamie Murphy year loan automatically turns into a one year contract or not? In terms of quality of player I would want to keep him, but in terms of his actual availability to play I would be inclined not to

I could be wrong but I thought it was automatic.

I’m with you, I joked about him being injury prone when he signed, but it actually appears to be the case. I doubt he’ll be coming for sweeties either.

steelendhibs
21-03-2021, 03:08 PM
Its not an option. Its done, he is joining.

Damn. Shame as a really good player and seems to be a good squad member also. I know he was down south for a few years, but I can’t remember him being this injury prone before his bad injury at Rangers a few years back. Shame for the guy.

Hibbyradge
21-03-2021, 03:11 PM
I'm yet to be impressed by him and I don't think he's threatening to claim a starting berth even when he gets fit.

JimBHibees
21-03-2021, 03:27 PM
Personally think a quality player and creates and scores goals. Very annoying what seems like regular similar injuries. If we get him fit a very good asset imo.

neil7908
21-03-2021, 03:29 PM
Personally think a quality player and creates and scores goals. Very annoying what seems like regular similar injuries. If we get him fit a very good asset imo.

Agreed. His fitness is a massive issue, especially with Drew Wright out of the picture.

But if we can get him fit and a run of games under his belt then he'll do well for us imo.

Greenbeard
21-03-2021, 03:38 PM
I'd sell him and just try to cover any outlay if there was any. Sheep might take him.

Since452
21-03-2021, 04:15 PM
He's clearly a quality player but his Hibs career has been stop start with injuries unfortunately

J-C
21-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Unfortunately we have to adhere to the year deal, apart from the odd glimpse he's been a big disappointment and too injury prone

BlackSheep
21-03-2021, 04:41 PM
We will need quality like Murphy if we do get Europe proper, regardless of his injury problems next years squad needs to be bigger if we want to compete across all competitions.

Dmas
21-03-2021, 04:56 PM
He's clearly a quality player but his Hibs career has been stop start with injuries unfortunately

Like magennis, a proper pre-season will help Murphy massively, I think if you look at the injury problems some teams have had this year we’ve done ok it’s been a mental time for everyone here’s hoping for a bit of normality leading into next season so the squad can prepare properly

Onceinawhile
21-03-2021, 05:14 PM
I'd forgotten he existed 🤣

jeffers
21-03-2021, 06:01 PM
Unfortunately we have to adhere to the year deal, apart from the odd glimpse he's been a big disappointment and too injury prone

That’s where I’m at. Hope I’m wrong but I think he’ll regularly miss games for us through injury, while taking up a decent wage.

scoopyboy
21-03-2021, 06:16 PM
Like magennis, a proper pre-season will help Murphy massively, I think if you look at the injury problems some teams have had this year we’ve done ok it’s been a mental time for everyone here’s hoping for a bit of normality leading into next season so the squad can prepare properly

Too many Hibs players over the years miss pre season. Hopefully a full pre season will do the trick.

Dmas
21-03-2021, 09:01 PM
Too many Hibs players over the years miss pre season. Hopefully a full pre season will do the trick.

where we are in world football unfortunately, guys hang on to last minute to try and squeeze the best deal possible, murphy's case I think the initial years loan took a bit of negotiating missing a bit with us as well as the covid limbo

we can hope, he's shown flashes of a player, I don't think he deserves to be written off the way some seem to have done

wookie70
21-03-2021, 10:28 PM

I think he is a quality player but doesn't score or create enough goals. Josh Doig has 4 assists from a far deeper position and one less goal albeit he has played 5 games more. Murphy seems to have all the ability with the ball but doesn't contribute enough for me. He is similar to Scott Allan in my view. When he is good he can be brilliant but it isn't that often and he is a man short when we don't have the ball. Jackson Irvine hasn't been as good as I expected but he has great quality and works exceptionally hard closing down player. It hasn't quite happened for him yet but he has played plenty Scott Allan type passes and got into lots of goal scoring opportunities particularly in the first few appearances. If the option on Murphy isn't automatic I'd try and get Irvine instead

Jim44
21-03-2021, 10:46 PM
I think he is a quality player but doesn't score or create enough goals. Josh Doig has 4 assists from a far deeper position and one less goal albeit he has played 5 games more. Murphy seems to have all the ability with the ball but doesn't contribute enough for me. He is similar to Scott Allan in my view. When he is good he can be brilliant but it isn't that often and he is a man short when we don't have the ball. Jackson Irvine hasn't been as good as I expected but he has great quality and works exceptionally hard closing down player. It hasn't quite happened for him yet but he has played plenty Scott Allan type passes and got into lots of goal scoring opportunities particularly in the first few appearances. If the option on Murphy isn't automatic I'd try and get Irvine instead

It is automatic. He is a Hibs player. I believe we are or are about to do our best to get Irvine. He says he would like to stay at ER but at what cost? My best guess is that, when we secure 3rd place, he will sign for one season.

JimBHibees
22-03-2021, 05:56 AM

I would hope to keep both. Murphy has been very up and down but has contributed scoring the winnng goal v Dundee, scoring against Celtic, getting pens v Aberdeen and St Mirren and definitely should have scored in the semi final. Like him as a player as can go past players and pick a pass. Probably been as frustrating for him as it has been for us.

worcesterhibby
22-03-2021, 07:08 AM
I think one of the main reasons for Murphy’s injuries are the heavy pitches this year. The start of next season will see better surfaces and will also see a Murphy going on a long run of games and contributing more. Give him a decent surface and he will shine.

jacomo
22-03-2021, 11:06 AM
I think one of the main reasons for Murphy’s injuries are the heavy pitches this year. The start of next season will see better surfaces and will also see a Murphy going on a long run of games and contributing more. Give him a decent surface and he will shine.

Fingers crossed.

We definitely need squad depth and he could be a decent option if he stays fit. He’s not really convinced me this season but he’s obviously a pretty gifted footballer, the sort you need to unlock stubborn defences at times.

SMAXXA
22-03-2021, 04:09 PM
I'm yet to be impressed by him and I don't think he's threatening to claim a starting berth even when he gets fit.

I’m very surprised to see anyone say this I’m sure his ability and contribution has been clear to see since his time at Hibs, it’s his inability to stay fit and available that’s the issue. Unless you were really meaning Drey Wright 🤦*♂️😂

Hibbyradge
22-03-2021, 04:31 PM
I’m very surprised to see anyone say this I’m sure his ability and contribution has been clear to see since his time at Hibs, it’s his inability to stay fit and available that’s the issue. Unless you were really meaning Drey Wright 🤦*♂️😂

Ha ha. No, I meant Jamie Murphy.

His ability just hasn't been clear to me. I've watched him and thought he's lightweight and doesn't impose himself.

I know that he's well thought of by our management team and most observers on here, so I'm most likely doing him a disservice, but I just haven't been impressed so far.

I keep thinking "I can see why The Rangers let him go". Hopefully we'll see him again before the season's finished and that he makes me revise my opinion.

Smartie
22-03-2021, 04:50 PM

His ability just hasn't been clear to me. I've watched him and thought he's lightweight and doesn't impose himself.

I know that he's well thought of by our management team and most observers on here, so I'm most likely doing him a disservice, but I just haven't been impressed so far.

I keep thinking "I can see why The Rangers let him go". Hopefully we'll see him again before the season's finished and that he makes me revise my opinion.

It depends on which weeks you’ve seen him play.

He’s brilliant on his day and a few times I’ve thought he’s looked like a class act

More often than that though he’s drifted through games, occasionally flattered to deceive, sometimes been pish and then you’ve got all the games he’s missed.

I still want to give him the benefit of the doubt as I reckon he might have that wee extra touch of class if he fancies it in Europe next year.

Not convinced we’ll ever get much more than 20 games a season out of him though, and for a reasonable outlay by all accounts.

J-C
22-03-2021, 07:03 PM
I think this one could be seen as an error of judgement by the recruitment team and Ross, Murphy came with a very good CV and had a very decent loan to Burton Albion prior to coming here, so by all accounts a loan and subsequent deal looked good on paper. Having only 123 games in almost 6 years is a telling stat, ave 20 games per season is a poor return and we're seeing why as he seems to be unable to keep fit for more that half a season having played in only 17 out of 28 games he's been available for.

MrRobot
22-03-2021, 08:28 PM

Agree with this.

hibbysam
22-03-2021, 09:03 PM
I think this one could be seen as an error of judgement by the recruitment team and Ross, Murphy came with a very good CV and had a very decent loan to Burton Albion prior to coming here, so by all accounts a loan and subsequent deal looked good on paper. Having only 123 games in almost 6 years is a telling stat, ave 20 games per season is a poor return and we're seeing why as he seems to be unable to keep fit for more that half a season having played in only 17 out of 28 games he's been available for.

In that time he had one major injury, he never missed large chunks of lots of seasons. Prior to his injury at Rangers he was barely injured throughout his whole career. Again, like Magennis, the stop start nature of football over the last year, coupled with the high volume of games, coupled with horrendous pitches, and it’s unsurprising that he’s breaking down with muscle injuries. He’s a quality player and no doubt will show that after his pre season.

J-C
22-03-2021, 09:36 PM
In that time he had one major injury, he never missed large chunks of lots of seasons. Prior to his injury at Rangers he was barely injured throughout his whole career. Again, like Magennis, the stop start nature of football over the last year, coupled with the high volume of games, coupled with horrendous pitches, and it’s unsurprising that he’s breaking down with muscle injuries. He’s a quality player and no doubt will show that after his pre season.

I hope so but he's only shown what he can do in little glimpses, if he doesn't show it next season he could be an expensive mistake.

hibbysam
22-03-2021, 09:42 PM
I hope so but he's only shown what he can do in little glimpses, if he doesn't show it next season he could be an expensive mistake.

Possibly. No one really knows how expensive he is though. I’m more than willing to give him that chance to get pre season in and kick on. We’re going to need a far bigger squad than we have filled with quality.

truehibernian
22-03-2021, 09:50 PM
I think Murphy is an excellent footballer, admittedly his injury record is poor, but he's like Scott Allan, sees a pass perhaps before a player more limited does. I've been impressed with him, always plays with his head up and looking to create. Personally, I think he's been a great addition to the team and squad. Would like to see him stay - very talented player still :aok:

Diclonius
22-03-2021, 11:00 PM
Full pre-seasons for Murphy, Magennis and Allan will be massive.

Smartie
23-03-2021, 07:33 AM
Full pre-seasons for Murphy, Magennis and Allan will be massive.

Even if only for the reason that it will strip away a few excuses and make the players fully accountable for their on-field contributions.

CMurdoch
23-03-2021, 04:46 PM
It may interest folk to know Murphy is one of only 11 Hibs players to play over a 1000 minutes of league football this season.
A further 7 players have played over 500 minutes.
The likelihood is only 2 additional players will pass the 1000 minute mark by the end of the season.

JimBHibees
23-03-2021, 04:51 PM
I think Murphy is an excellent footballer, admittedly his injury record is poor, but he's like Scott Allan, sees a pass perhaps before a player more limited does. I've been impressed with him, always plays with his head up and looking to create. Personally, I think he's been a great addition to the team and squad. Would like to see him stay - very talented player still :aok:

Agree with that. Like the way he plays and particularly goes past players either side. Only been in short bursts but think he is an asset to the team.

Hibbyradge
23-03-2021, 05:01 PM
It may interest folk to know Murphy is one of only 11 Hibs players to play over a 1000 minutes of league football this season.
A further 7 players have played over 500 minutes.
The likelihood is only 2 additional players will pass the 1000 minute mark by the end of the season.

Really?

Only 11 players have played more than 11 games?

hibbysam
23-03-2021, 05:47 PM
Really?

It’s 14 I think.

CMurdoch
23-03-2021, 07:44 PM
Really?

5 other players have taken part in more than 11 games, however, players being substituted and playing as substitutes only get credited with the minutes they play hence only 11 Hibs players including Murphy have played more than a thousand minutes in league games this season.

Remarkably Paul McGinn has played every minute (2,970) of every league game!

9 Hibs players have played more than 2,200 minutes
Hanlon has played in all 33 league games missing only 138 minutes
Boyle 32, Doidge 31, Porteous and Nisbet 30, Gogic 29, Marciano & Newell 28