PDA

View Full Version : Alex Neil

gbhibby
21-03-2021, 02:14 PM
Sky sports news reporting he has left Preston. New Aberdeen manager?

Diclonius
21-03-2021, 02:25 PM
Stick on I reckon.

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-03-2021, 02:27 PM
Decent for the sheep. Fortunately, think we've done enough this season to finish above them.

04Sauzee
21-03-2021, 02:27 PM
Aberdeen fans were talking about him on their forum the other day and most werent keen, not sure if they have changed their minds over the last few days.

Sir David Gray
21-03-2021, 02:31 PM
He'll be a top appointment for them I reckon.

Lancs Harp
21-03-2021, 02:50 PM
Guess I was 2 days early with this one but got there in the end :wink: He had been dangling by a thread for a few weeks.

cabbageandribs1875
21-03-2021, 03:18 PM
i think he would do very well up here

Hibbyradge
21-03-2021, 03:19 PM
I think he'll get a more lucrative gig than Aberdeen.

Ringothedog
21-03-2021, 03:21 PM
I think he'll get a more lucrative gig than Aberdeen.

Based on what? He has been sacked from his last 2 positions

Iggy Pope
21-03-2021, 03:23 PM

Is that a reason for him being linked with Aberdeen?

CMurdoch
21-03-2021, 03:26 PM
Would certainly be a better bet for success than Stephen Glass and I think he would do well at Aberdeen if they can swing it but he wouldn't come cheap.
However, i'm not sure dealing with deadly Dave's ego will be his cup of char.

Northernhibee
21-03-2021, 03:29 PM
If they don’t get this appointment right then they could genuinely find themselves in a relegation dogfight next season.

One goal in ten games is horrendous and the new manager has to recruit well and lift a team in horrific form.

calumhibee1
21-03-2021, 03:30 PM
Will they have the money for him?

He’d command a very decent wage I’d suspect and I’m sure folk have been saying they’re actually toiling a bit financially. How much of that is true I suppose is anybody’s guess.

Throw in having to sign half a new team and the transfer/signing on fees that will go with that, it could be a very expensive summer for Aberdeen.

Hibbyradge
21-03-2021, 03:32 PM

They've all been sacked. See Sam Allardyce for details!

In fact, I'm watching David Moyes in charge of West Ham today. He's been sacked from every club he's had since Everton. He was even let go by West Ham before they changed their mind and appointed him again!

Neil might go to Aberdeen, but I think he'll be more sought after than that.

Northernhibee
21-03-2021, 03:37 PM
Jack Ross got punted from Sunderland and is doing well here. Sackings mean less and less nowadays.

bingo70
21-03-2021, 03:43 PM
Jack Ross got punted from Sunderland and is doing well here. Sackings mean less and less nowadays.

Sackings are inevitable for managers now. There were some that want Klopp sacked at Liverpool.

It’s just a case of how long they can last at a club before they get punted. I don’t know how long Neil was there but seems like a while, the fact he was there for as long as he was will count in his favour when future jobs come up.

Fwiw I think he’ll likely want to take a bit of a break before taking on his next job and I think Aberdeen will want someone in quicker than that.

Since452
21-03-2021, 04:12 PM
He'd probably be the logical candidate much like Ross was with us. He and the job are available at the same time so makes perfect sense. The other candidates seem absolutely bowfin to me.

EI255
21-03-2021, 05:00 PM
Always thought he was excellent with Hamilton. Would do well back up ra road.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

bingo70
21-03-2021, 05:15 PM
Callum Davidson down to 8/1 to replace him.

Think he was a really popular player there so probably not impossible.

HoboHarry
21-03-2021, 05:18 PM
Sir Alex got sacked by St Mirren and was damn close to it with Man Utd. Sackings are part and parcel of normality.

Ringothedog
21-03-2021, 05:26 PM
Sir Alex got sacked by St Mirren and was damn close to it with Man Utd. Sackings are part and parcel of normality.

He was sacked by St Mirren for because he had agreed to join Aberdeen. But he wasn’t sacked by Man Utd, so your point is irrelevant.I agree that sackings are part of the game. I stick by what i said earlier. He has done nothing in the last few years to convince me that he would do a good job for Aberdeen

Since452
21-03-2021, 05:28 PM
Callum Davidson down to 8/1 to replace him.

Think he was a really popular player there so probably not impossible.

Don't think he ever played for Aberdeen did he?

*Sorry just realised you were on about Preston

bingo70
21-03-2021, 05:29 PM
He was sacked by St Mirren for because he had agreed to join Aberdeen. But he wasn’t sacked by Man Utd, so your point is irrelevant.I agree that sackings are part of the game. I stick by what i said earlier. He has done nothing in the last few years to convince me that he would do a good job for Hamilton

Think he got Norwich promoted didn’t he?

I don’t know much about the English championship but my perception of the Preston North End job is that it’s to keep them up? I don’t remember them ever getting close to doing well in the play offs?

bingo70
21-03-2021, 05:29 PM
Don't think he ever played for Aberdeen did he?

No, to replace Alex Neil at PNE

Alfred E Newman
21-03-2021, 05:52 PM

Their greatest ever manager was sacked at St Mirren.

Billy Whizz
21-03-2021, 06:17 PM

Very few Managers don’t get sacked somewhere

Lancs Harp
21-03-2021, 06:24 PM
Think he got Norwich promoted didn’t he?

I don’t know much about the English championship but my perception of the Preston North End job is that it’s to keep them up? I don’t remember them ever getting close to doing well in the play offs?

Preston have been in the Championship play offs a good number of times and failed every time much to the amusement of those of us that hail from the other end of the M55. Make no mistake Alex Neil was brought in to make the difference to promote PNE to the promised land certainly not just to avoid relegation.
He did well in his first year at Norwich, hasnt gone so well since but I think he's a decent manager and I would not be surprised at all to see him pop up in Aberdeen. Not an easy job though, they have a had a bad season by their recent standards but expectation is difficult to manage there IMO. They have successfully in recent seasons stayed on top of the best of the rest league with us and Hearts and any other club that has the occasional hot season. Who ever next gets the hot seat at Pittodrie has a difficult task to achieve what DM did there and keep them competitive, if they expect to compete with the OF, which is highly unlikely as it is for every other club in Scotland than that isnt going to come down to the Manager but to Cormack and basically how deep his pockets are.

Ringothedog
21-03-2021, 06:36 PM

For breach of contract not results

davy67 +
21-03-2021, 07:39 PM
Sheffield United might be a more attractive proposition for him

erin go bragh
21-03-2021, 07:45 PM
He'll be a top appointment for them I reckon.

More chance of him going to Celtic. Can’t see Aberdeen paying him enough to entice him up North .

jeffers
21-03-2021, 07:47 PM
Don’t know why but I wouldn’t want Neil at Hibs.

Lancs Harp
21-03-2021, 07:50 PM
Sheffield United might be a more attractive proposition for him

Not being funny mate but why would Sheffield United just relegated from the Premier League (as seems very likely) appoint a manager who has effectively just failed at Preston North End? Alex Neils stock isnt what it as when he left Hamilton nor after his first season at Norwich.

HendoDelivered
21-03-2021, 09:22 PM
I think he would be good for them. Hope it doesn’t happen!

WhileTheChief..
21-03-2021, 09:52 PM
Don’t know why but I wouldn’t want Neil at Hibs.

Same, don’t rate him at all.

More suited to Hearts when Neilson goes.

Is It On....
21-03-2021, 10:13 PM
Same, don’t rate him at all.

More suited to Hearts when Neilson goes.

Win and loss ratio as a manager of 40%. Jack Ross has a 50% win ratio and 25% loss ratio. They are welcome to Alex Neil.

Since452
22-03-2021, 05:31 AM
More chance of him going to Celtic. Can’t see Aberdeen paying him enough to entice him up North .

Was McInnes not on 10 grand a week or something mental like that?

Oscar T Grouch
22-03-2021, 05:51 AM
Was reading on oneleagueback that they want him to replace Robbie Rotten.
Personally I think he’ll get a job in the championship down south. He probably feels he’s outgrown Scotland.