PDA

View Full Version : Europa conference league

AliboyFC
20-03-2021, 08:25 PM
How far will we get in the europa conference league?

Hibbyradge
20-03-2021, 08:29 PM
How far will we get in the europa conference league?

Just past pennicuik, probably. :rolleyes:

Monts
20-03-2021, 10:23 PM
Nowhere. We'll be in the Europa League :wink:

Lancs Harp
20-03-2021, 10:42 PM

Final will be in Seville, Im booking Monday.

Conference final is in Tirana. Interesting but edgy.

WhileTheChief..
20-03-2021, 10:45 PM
To be guaranteed more than just a qualifying round that we could easily lose is brilliant.

If we can get into the Europa League that would be some achievement and would give us all something to be excited about for months.

If we’re back at ER by then we’re in for a treat next year.

Brummie_Hibs
20-03-2021, 10:46 PM
Tirana. Interesting but edgy.
A disappointingly mundane place.

SteveHFC
20-03-2021, 11:02 PM
Final will be in Seville, Im booking Monday.

Conference final is in Tirana. Interesting but edgy.

Only 22,500 capacity. Will be a lot of ST holders missing out. :greengrin

ScottB
20-03-2021, 11:53 PM
To be guaranteed more than just a qualifying round that we could easily lose is brilliant.

If we can get into the Europa League that would be some achievement and would give us all something to be excited about for months.

If we’re back at ER by then we’re in for a treat next year.

We’re not guaranteed anything.

As it stands, the Scottish Cup gets the Europa League spot that is one round from the groups, with defeat leading to the Conference Groups.

3rd and 4th place get entry into the 3rd qualifying round of the Conference.

If either of the Old Firm win the Cup, then that place goes to the team that finishes 3rd, and 5th will enter the EC.

It’s likely the EC spots will be unseeded, and a fair chance of coming up against big teams in those 3 rounds will probably make either of the Scottish clubs in that route making the groups very unlikely.

WhileTheChief..
21-03-2021, 12:01 AM
We’ll finish 3rd though.

ScottB
21-03-2021, 12:06 AM
We’ll finish 3rd though.

And as it stands all that can get us is one unseeded qualifying round... the place meant for the Cup is the one that guarantees group stage football.

Bristolhibby
21-03-2021, 07:08 AM
A disappointingly mundane place.

I had a great time there. I fully embraced the austere and paranoid Hoxha vibe.

Won’t be rushing back for a holiday with the wife and kids mind.

J

bingo70
21-03-2021, 07:21 AM
I think based on current standings the big countries would have the following clubs representing them in the Conference league

Spurs or Liverpool (Spurs if they win the league cup)
Roma
Leverkusen
Real betis
Lens
Benfica (don’t understand the Portuguese entry, they don’t seem to have any Europa league places according to the live score app).

SChibs
21-03-2021, 07:54 AM
I think based on current standings the big countries would have the following clubs representing them in the Conference league

Roma
Leverkusen
Real betis
Lens
Benfica (don’t understand the Portuguese entry, they don’t seem to have any Europa league places according to the live score app).

Maybe the 2 Cup winners are given the Europa places in Portugal. Or its a mistake on the app

bingo70
21-03-2021, 07:55 AM
Maybe the 2 Cup winners are given the Europa places in Portugal. Or its a mistake on the app

Good shout, that would make sense.

Lee Marvin
21-03-2021, 07:57 AM
This place will explode when Hearts or Aberdeen win the Scottish Cup :greengrin

Lancs Harp
21-03-2021, 08:02 AM

Roma
Leverkusen
Real betis
Lens

Portugal as UEFA association ranked 6th will have two entries. 4th and 5th placed in the league. On current standings that would be Benfica (who are having poor season) and Pacos de Ferreira.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021%E2%80%9322_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

Magpie
21-03-2021, 08:08 AM
Absolute carnage when Drey Wright scores the winner to knock out Dortmund.

hibby rae
21-03-2021, 08:52 AM

As it stands, the Scottish Cup gets the Europa League spot that is one round from the groups, with defeat leading to the Conference Groups.

If either of the Old Firm win the Cup, then that place goes to the team that finishes 3rd, and 5th will enter the EC.

It’s likely the EC spots will be unseeded, and a fair chance of coming up against big teams in those 3 rounds will probably make either of the Scottish clubs in that route making the groups very unlikely.

That was my thinking too.

But, in our match report, the BBC said 3rd place guarantees December football. Which I'm guessing is an error on their part?

AliboyFC
21-03-2021, 08:53 AM

We probably won't qualify

hibby rae
21-03-2021, 08:54 AM

Roma
Leverkusen
Real betis
Lens

Leverkusen would be handy.

You can fly in to Dusseldorf or Cologne. Both only about 20mins away on the train.

For something like Roma I'd be making a holiday out of it.

bingo70
21-03-2021, 09:08 AM

You can fly in to Dusseldorf or Cologne. Both only about 20mins away on the train.

I’d love us to get an English team.

I’m a bit of a stadium geek and i’d love to go to the new Spurs stadium. From a practical and financial point of view my work situation means being able to drive to a game would be a huge benefit.

Billy Whizz
21-03-2021, 09:12 AM
Portugal as UEFA association ranked 6th will have two entries. 4th and 5th placed in the league. On current standings that would be Benfica (who are having poor season) and Pacos de Ferreira.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021%E2%80%9322_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

Going to need a big squad, for these games, as well as League and Betfred Cup games in Sept to Nov

I’m presuming next season we won’t be playing in the Betfred Group stages

Sir David Gray
21-03-2021, 09:17 AM
Going to need a big squad, for these games, as well as League and Betfred Cup games in Sept to Nov

I’m presuming next season we won’t be playing in the Betfred Group stages

No, all teams that qualify for Europe get a bye into the knockout stages of the League Cup.

hibbysam
21-03-2021, 09:22 AM
No, all teams that qualify for Europe get a bye into the knockout stages of the League Cup.

Wonder how that’ll work now it’s increased to 5 teams? Guessing it’ll only be the 3 best runners up that qualify instead of 4. Good year to get out of that nonsense!

Hibbyradge
21-03-2021, 09:34 AM

I’m a bit of a stadium geek and i’d love to go to the new Spurs stadium. From a practical and financial point of view my work situation means being able to drive to a game would be a huge benefit.

I'm with you on all of that.

I would probably drive if it was a Northern French team too.

Pretty Boy
21-03-2021, 09:41 AM
So basically if Hibs don't win the cup I have to want Celtic or Rangers to win it. Ugh.

hibbysam
21-03-2021, 09:43 AM
So basically if Hibs don't win the cup I have to want Celtic or Rangers to win it. Ugh.

To be fair that’s my thoughts most years. They win a trophy it’s just another day, I absolutely hate Aberdeen/Hearts etc winning trophies instead of us.

hibby rae
21-03-2021, 09:53 AM

Think of the speeds you could hit on der Autobahn 😉😉

London would be a fun trip and can stay with my pals too.

hibby rae
21-03-2021, 09:54 AM
I'm with you on all of that.

I would probably drive if it was a Northern French team too.

Lens would tick that box.

CropleyWasGod
21-03-2021, 09:56 AM
Lens would tick that box.

Can't see that.

21-03-2021, 09:58 AM

The Scottish Cup winner getting the Europa League spot is a joke. Who decided that? The Europa League spot should go to 3rd in the league and the cup winner should get a Europa Conference place. We'll have to hope either us, Rangers or Celtic win the cup but knowing our luck Hearts will win it.

hibby rae
21-03-2021, 09:58 AM

Kinda means as well that, as long as we aren't playing themm, we should want them to win every round.

Ideal scenario is we get one of them in the final.

I'm heading back into the shower after that thought. 🤮🤮

hibby rae
21-03-2021, 10:00 AM
Can't see that.

Just had a look at Ligue 1, very tight up there but they are well in it.

CropleyWasGod
21-03-2021, 10:01 AM
Just had a look at Ligue 1, very tight up there but they are well in it.

Whoosh :greengrin

hibbysam
21-03-2021, 10:02 AM
The Scottish Cup winner getting the Europa League spot is a joke. Who decided that? The Europa League spot should go to 3rd in the league and the cup winner should get a Europa Conference place. We'll have to hope either us, Rangers or Celtic win the cup but knowing our luck Hearts will win it.

UEFA decide it.

hibby rae
21-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Whoosh :greengrin

Balls. It's still early! 😂😂

21-03-2021, 10:07 AM
UEFA decide it.

Thanks. I was thinking it might have been the SFA and SPFL. Getting 3rd in the top league is harder than winning a cup so you'd think that would get the better reward.

Sir David Gray
Wonder how that’ll work now it’s increased to 5 teams? Guessing it’ll only be the 3 best runners up that qualify instead of 4. Good year to get out of that nonsense!

I wonder whether they will still have 8 groups of 5 teams in the group stage, in which case they'll need to bring in another team from the Highland/Lowland League. If not they'll only have 39 teams in the group stage and then they'll need to have 7 group of 5 teams and 1 group of 4 teams.

CropleyWasGod
Balls. It's still early! 😂😂

:greengrin

Was a bit crap.... it's too early for me, too.

Hibbyradge
21-03-2021, 10:11 AM

The club's agree that.

Or is it UEFA? :hmmm:

Hibbyradge
21-03-2021, 10:13 AM
Can't see that.

Your puns just get cornea and cornea.

Fergus52
21-03-2021, 10:20 AM
And as it stands all that can get us is one unseeded qualifying round... the place meant for the Cup is the one that guarantees group stage football.

If we enter at Q3 round of the conference league it's not set in stone we'll be unseeded.

Would depend how strong the teams are that get put out Q2 of the Europa League.

The minimum coefficient for Scottish clubs is quite high just now so there's a half decent chance we would be seeded.

Pretty Boy
21-03-2021, 10:21 AM
Thinking about where I have friends living then teams from the South of France, Yorkshire, London, Seville and Rome would all be on my wish list.

It's hardly exotic but I would love a crack at an English team. Aberdeen and Hearts have both given them a fright in relatively recent years.

Hermit Crab
21-03-2021, 10:23 AM

Italy is dodgy for away fans. Trust me on that one, I was in Napoli with Man City, never again will I go there. Dundee got battered in Palermo as well I think.

Wakeyhibee
21-03-2021, 11:24 AM
If we enter at Q3 round of the conference league it's not set in stone we'll be unseeded.

Would depend how strong the teams are that get put out Q2 of the Europa League.

The minimum coefficient for Scottish clubs is quite high just now so there's a half decent chance we would be seeded.

I think we enter 2r qualifying ECL if we dont get the EL place for 3rd.

Also does it go on the country co-efficient or the clubs own for seeding?

Sir David Gray
21-03-2021, 11:30 AM

Yes 2nd qualifying round of the Europa Conference League for 3rd if we don't take the Europa League place that's reserved for the Scottish Cup winners.

Billy Whizz
21-03-2021, 12:04 PM
Yes 2nd qualifying round of the Europa Conference League for 3rd if we don't take the Europa League place that's reserved for the Scottish Cup winners.

And I presume if the top 2 were to win the Cup, 3rd place will get the Europa League place?

calumhibee1
21-03-2021, 12:11 PM

Roma
Leverkusen
Real betis
Lens

I’d love to play Betis. Ever since the Conference League got announced I’ve been looking forward to it, not because it’ll be the best tournament ever, but because it gives us a chance of playing teams other than Eastern European’s and Scandinavians that we seem to get most of the time.

Going to Seville which is a great city (and also very cheap!) to watch Hibs, possibly in November or December when it’s freezing here and having a piss up in the sun for a few days would be superb.

Nice or Marseille or something along those lines would be great trips as well. The Conference League certainly opens up the potential for trips to better places than the early Europa League qualifiers.

Wakeyhibee
21-03-2021, 12:11 PM
And I presume if the top 2 were to win the Cup, 3rd place will get the Europa League place?

Top 2 or ourselves win the cup yes :)

stuart-farquhar
21-03-2021, 12:20 PM
I’d love to play Betis. Ever since the Conference League got announced I’ve been looking forward to it, not because it’ll be the best tournament ever, but because it gives us a chance of playing teams other than Eastern European’s and Scandinavians that we seem to get most of the time.

Going to Seville which is a great city (and also very cheap!) to watch Hibs, possibly in November or December when it’s freezing here and having a piss up in the sun for a few days would be superb.

Nice or Marseille or something along those lines would be great trips as well. The Conference League certainly opens up the potential for trips to better places than the early Europa League qualifiers.

Ive been to Betis in November. It was cold and the home fans threw containers of urine at us forcing us to leave or move to the last rows. Seville itself is an interesting place. Best to stay over the river in Triana. Decent bars and nightlife. Bit edgy but safe all the same. Take a coat!

calumhibee1
21-03-2021, 12:23 PM
Ive been to Betis in November. It was cold and the home fans threw containers of urine at us forcing us to leave or move to the last rows. Seville itself is an interesting place. Best to stay over the river in Triana. Decent bars and nightlife. Bit edgy but safe all the same. Take a coat!

I thought it was warmer at Christmas time in Seville but it’s not as warm as I thought.

Hopefully we get Betis away in October then :greengrin I went to Seville a few years ago, loved it. I went in May though and it was nearly 40 degrees every day. Glad my hotel had a pool!

Sir David Gray
21-03-2021, 12:30 PM

Yes if Rangers or Celtic (or us of course) win the Scottish Cup) then 3rd gets into the play offs of the Europa League. If we win that we go into the group stage of the Europa League and if we lose then we go into the group stage of the Europa Conference League.

danhibees1875
21-03-2021, 12:51 PM

Please don't say these things.

147lothian
21-03-2021, 06:41 PM

Hearts couldn't tackle a fish supper, struggled in what is probably the weakest championship ever against Arbroath and Morton, so we can rule them out. Aberdeen couldn't beat a carpet, one goal in 10 games, if anyone is going to win the Scottish cup outside us or the OF I think it's pretty safe to say we can rule either of these two out

Hibbyradge
21-03-2021, 06:46 PM
Hearts couldn't tackle a fish supper, struggled in what is probably the weakest championship ever against Arbroath and Morton, so we can rule them out. Aberdeen couldn't beat a carpet, one goal in 10 games, if anyone is going to win the Scottish cup outside us or the OF I think it's pretty safe to say we can rule either of these two out

I'm pretty sure folk said something similar in 2016.

"A championship team winning the cup? No danger..."

21-03-2021, 06:52 PM

We were 3rd in the Championship the year we won the cup and had lost 3-0 to Morton at Easter Road 2-3 month earlier. Hearts have got to the final the last 2 years despite being crap and gave a decent account of themselves n the final both times. I'd be surprised if they won it but I wouldn't rule them out. They've been lucky with the draw en route to the final before (2 years ago) and could be again.

Lancs Harp
21-03-2021, 07:46 PM
We were 3rd in the Championship the year we won the cup and had lost 3-0 to Morton at Easter Road 2-3 month earlier. Hearts have got to the final the last 2 years despite being crap and gave a decent account of themselves n the final both times. I'd be surprised if they won it but I wouldn't rule them out. They've been lucky with the draw en route to the final before (2 years ago) and could be again.

That brought a tortuous memory back. Perhaps the only team in history to make Morton look like Real Madrid/Brazil 70/Melchester Rovers. They totally took us apart.

Having said that Hearts have got no chance of winning the Scottish cup this season :greengrin We played open attacking football and scared the living daylights out of Premiership teams and had the measure of Rangers IMO in that period. Hearts are playing like tripe and are tripe.

St Pauli Hibee
21-03-2021, 08:00 PM
I'm hoping for central & eastern European teams personally.
Looking at teams that might be there:
O.Ljubljana (Slovenia)
MSK Zilina (Slovakia)
Viktoria Plzen (Czech Republic)
Zalgiris Vilnius (Lithuania)
CSKA Sofia (Bulgaria)
Partizan Belgrade (Serbia)

Union Berlin would be my dream draw as Berlin is about the only big city in Germany I'm still to visit.

hibby rae
21-03-2021, 09:08 PM
I'm hoping for central & eastern European teams personally.
Looking at teams that might be there:
O.Ljubljana (Slovenia)
MSK Zilina (Slovakia)
Viktoria Plzen (Czech Republic)
Zalgiris Vilnius (Lithuania)
CSKA Sofia (Bulgaria)
Partizan Belgrade (Serbia)

Union Berlin would be my dream draw as Berlin is about the only big city in Germany I'm still to visit.

Yep. A trip to Berlin would be my dream Hibs away day.

Lancs Harp
21-03-2021, 09:14 PM
Yep. A trip to Berlin would be my dream Hibs away day.

Cant remember which but wouldnt we have played Hertha Berlin if we had have beaten Brondby or Molde in recent times? But Im with you, travel as well as football is my reason d'etre and passion and although Ive visited Germany many times Ive never been to Berlin. Watching Hibs play there would be A1.

IberianHibernian
21-03-2021, 09:50 PM
Ive been to Betis in November. It was cold and the home fans threw containers of urine at us forcing us to leave or move to the last rows. Seville itself is an interesting place. Best to stay over the river in Triana. Decent bars and nightlife. Bit edgy but safe all the same. Take a coat!You were unlucky with the weather . Sometimes a bit chilly at night but still probably like a good Scottish summer at midday . What match were you at ? Normally very few away fans at either Seville ground so surprised that you`d be targetted unless sitting right next to Ultra group .

Paul1642
21-03-2021, 10:05 PM

I disagree. A team that wins a competition deserves the spot more than a team that comes 3rd. It’s just a shame that in Scotland 3rd is as good as it gets for non old firm.

hibbysam
21-03-2021, 10:09 PM
Cant remember which but wouldnt we have played Hertha Berlin if we had have beaten Brondby or Molde in recent times? But Im with you, travel as well as football is my reason d'etre and passion and although Ive visited Germany many times Ive never been to Berlin. Watching Hibs play there would be A1.

Brondby in 2016.

SteveHFC
21-03-2021, 11:33 PM

Remember having all my details typed in ready to book Berlin if we won on penalties against Brondby.

Wakeyhibee
22-03-2021, 06:16 AM

Cup winners cup was the second competition in Europe in years gone by. It looks like that's what the EL is becoming to some extent with the ECL being the old UEFA cup.

EI255
22-03-2021, 06:42 AM
Difficult to get too excited when we can't travel to see them.

calumhibee1
22-03-2021, 06:47 AM

It was Brondby. A penalty away from what would have been a great tie.

Fergus52
22-03-2021, 07:23 AM

It's the clubs seeding, but if that is lower than 20% of the countries total coefficient (which ours is) then that is used instead.

hibby rae
22-03-2021, 07:35 AM

That was the Brondby game, who then beat Hertha so think what could have been!

Berlin is probably my favourite city to visit, it would have to be a few days at least because the art, culture and nightlife in Berlin is second to none (btw if anyone wants Buckfast, or Scottish beer or cider, then go to a pub called Das Gift in Neukölln 😂).

Hibernian Verse
22-03-2021, 07:35 AM
Remember having all my details typed in ready to book Berlin if we won on penalties against Brondby.

I booked a free cancellation hotel when we scored. I then forgot to cancel it.

hibby rae
23-03-2021, 08:45 PM

This aged well 😂😂

bringbackbenny
23-03-2021, 08:51 PM
This aged well 😂😂

is it now mathematically impossible for Hearts to qualify for either the Europa league or the new Conference ?

147lothian
23-03-2021, 08:56 PM

We were a really good side in a very good championship in 2016, This is basically a no better Hearts team than the one that got relegated last year in what is probably the weakest championship ever, anyway do you rule Hearts out now?

AliboyFC
24-03-2021, 06:50 PM
Difficult to get too excited when we can't travel to see them.

Hopefully we will be able to get back in ER this season but it seems unlikely

24-03-2021, 08:31 PM

Guess I was wrong.:aok:

Anthony Soprano
25-03-2021, 09:35 AM
Think it would make more sense if 3rd got Europa League and cup winner got Conference.

jgl07
25-03-2021, 09:49 AM
Think it would make more sense if 3rd got Europa League and cup winner got Conference.
It will make no difference if Rangers or Celtic win the Scottish Cup. UEFA have always given priority to National Cup competitions and aren’t going to change. At least they no longer give preference to beaten Cup Finalists.

Hibs would have been pig sick in 2016 if their place in the Europa League had been taken by St Johnstone.

Hibernian Verse
25-03-2021, 10:25 AM
Apologies if already mentioned, although I haven't seen it anywhere.

If we avoid finishing bottom of our group in the Europa League, should we get there (BIG IF), then we will have another knockout round to try and get to the proper knockout stage of the Conference. This round is called the "Preliminary Knockout Round".

Preliminary knockout round
(16 teams)
8 group runners-up from the group stage
8 group third-placed teams from Europa League group stage

Hibernian Verse
25-03-2021, 10:28 AM
Hence why I said "BIG IF" Stuart.

This reply was to post above which has since been deleted.

Stuart93
25-03-2021, 10:36 AM
Hence why I said "BIG IF" Stuart.

This reply was to post above which has since been deleted.

Yep which is why I deleted it

Blocks Biloxi
25-03-2021, 02:01 PM
That was the Brondby game, who then beat Hertha so think what could have been!

Berlin is probably my favourite city to visit, it would have to be a few days at least because the art, culture and nightlife in Berlin is second to none (btw if anyone wants Buckfast, or Scottish beer or cider, then go to a pub called Das Gift in Neukölln 😂).

Owned by Barry Burns of Mogwai!

hibby rae
25-03-2021, 02:50 PM
Owned by Barry Burns of Mogwai!

Indeed so! It's a cracking pub.

And the only place my friend, who speaks German, decided to do so upon our last visit to Berlin.

She was met with the response 'sorry I dinnae speak German, I'm from Stirling.' 😂

AliboyFC
27-03-2021, 06:50 PM
Hope we get some NI teams in our group if we are in the conference. Easy money for the club.

bingo70
25-04-2021, 06:48 AM
Potentially significant day for the Europa conference league today.

Think if Tottenham beat Man City they will be Englands representatives in the tournament.

I realise there’s a lot of football to be played between now and then but Spurs away would be my dream draw should we get there.

danhibees1875
25-04-2021, 07:55 AM

Think if Tottenham beat Man City they will be Englands representatives in the tournament.

I realise there’s a lot of football to be played between now and then but Spurs away would be my dream draw should we get there.

I think it wouldn't be confirmed until the league was done - they'll still have an eye on a Europa place (or champions league for that batter).

With the FA cup final being Leicester v Chelsea their second Europa place will also go to the league (6th, as well as 5th) so West ham, Liverpool, or spurs will take up those 2 Europa spots.
If Spurs get 5/6th, the conference league place will go to 7th - presumably West ham or Liverpool.

I've written off the chances of Everton, Arsenal, Leeds, and villa reaching 7th/6th/5th as it was complicated enough. :greengrin

stuart-farquhar
25-04-2021, 09:23 AM
You were unlucky with the weather . Sometimes a bit chilly at night but still probably like a good Scottish summer at midday . What match were you at ? Normally very few away fans at either Seville ground so surprised that you`d be targetted unless sitting right next to Ultra group .

I was living in Spain. Attended as a Malaga fan. Was a season ticket holder for 7 years.

Magpie
25-04-2021, 10:13 AM

Would be a great trip down to the new Spurs stadium if we can go. I think there would be a good chance of being able to attend any of the English clubs grounds from September.