PDA

View Full Version : SJM on Football Focus Sat 20th

Newry Hibs
19-03-2021, 10:07 AM
Meatball is on .....

John McGinn: Does Aston Villa midfielder really get called 'Meatball'? - BBC Sport (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56451300)

Mick O'Rourke
20-03-2021, 08:04 AM
John is asked about origins of his song.
A clip of interview on BBC news channel this morning.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-03-2021, 09:05 AM
Not seen it but looking over some stuff tryin got find it there was an article about how Bruce won the battle for his signature. I wonder if SJM got an inkling that Rodgers would be offski.

Imagine the trajectory his career has taken and compare it against what it may have been at Celtic with many just wanting away.

Great career choice for the man that deserves to showcase his undoubted talents on the greatest stage.

Seveno
20-03-2021, 06:01 PM
It was mentioned how he was an absolute steal at £2.5m and was now worth in excess of £30m.

Iggy Pope
20-03-2021, 06:11 PM
What a great lad he is.
I think FF must’ve cut the Meatball bit from what they broadcast though?

stantonhibby
20-03-2021, 07:14 PM
What a great lad he is.
I think FF must’ve cut the Meatball bit from what they broadcast though?

They took a while to manage to speak to Eddie Gray about Peter Lorimer so maybe cut it because of that.

Radium
20-03-2021, 07:21 PM
John is asked about origins of his song.
A clip of interview on BBC news channel this morning.

https://twitter.com/insideeasterrd/status/1373195218619658243?s=21

Slightly tetchy Twitter thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
21-03-2021, 01:18 AM
It was mentioned how he was an absolute steal at £2.5m and was now worth in excess of £30m.

It wasn't a 'snip' it was sodding daylight robbery, if he had been playing in the EFL or Sweden or Portugal or bloomin' Austria, Aston Villa would have had to part with at least 4 million quid for him, it was absolutely obvious he was if not a certain bet, then at least a very very good one. As always it's great to see him getting noticed so much and clearly flourishing, like everybody else I wait with baited breath for his big money move :greengrin

Crunchie
21-03-2021, 08:02 AM
It wasn't a 'snip' it was sodding daylight robbery, if he had been playing in the EFL or Sweden or Portugal or bloomin' Austria, Aston Villa would have had to part with at least 4 million quid for him, it was absolutely obvious he was if not a certain bet, then at least a very very good one. As always it's great to see him getting noticed so much and clearly flourishing, like everybody else I wait with baited breath for his big money move :greengrin
I don't think I've had "feelings" for want of a better word for any player in a Hibs jersey since Pat Stanton. Even after he left us I've followed all his games, my wife said it's bordering on stalking :greengrin.
I hope the guy gets a break and joins a big club and wins a sack load of trophies.

Sammy7nil
21-03-2021, 08:10 AM
I don't think I've had "feelings" for want of a better word for any player in a Hibs jersey since Pat Stanton. Even after he left us I've followed all his games, my wife said it's bordering on stalking :greengrin.
I hope the guy gets a break and joins a big club and wins a sack load of trophies.

He already has two trophies :greengrin

AltheHibby
21-03-2021, 08:11 AM

I don't see what the guy's problem is other than a barely concealed hatred of the English. It was a perfectly good leading question that allowed SJM to talk about the song.

Lendo
21-03-2021, 09:27 AM

cringe

Pretty Boy
21-03-2021, 09:39 AM
I hope that the recent success down south of guys like Robertson, Tierney, Armstrong and McGinn sees the Scottish market viewed a bit more favourably. Of course there are other guys who have went south and flopped but those are all recent departures, add in Van Dyjk as well, and all have seen their values soar within a season. Arguably only Tierney commanded a fee in the same ballpark as what he is valued at now.

People may argue their value soared because they proved they can hack it down there. However the biggest issue we face is the ability of players to run their contracts down and English clubs can blow us out the water just to take a chance on someone. Not everyone will be like McGinn and sign a long term deal so we are forced to sell at knock down fees. Everyone knows McGinn was better than a £2.5M player, that's proven by both his performances down there and the fact we will likely get more in a sell on fee that we got for the initial transfer, but there was no reason for anyone to bid more than that because they all knew the score.

Anyway that's a tangent. McGinn comes across well in the interview. I love the fact he still follows Hibs and regularly bigs both us and the Scottish game up on Twitter. He's an example to young players everywhere what you can achieve if you have a work ethic and mentality that matches your natural talent.

hibbysam
21-03-2021, 10:25 AM
I hope that the recent success down south of guys like Robertson, Tierney, Armstrong and McGinn sees the Scottish market viewed a bit more favourably. Of course there are other guys who have went south and flopped but those are all recent departures, add in Van Dyjk as well, and all have seen their values soar within a season. Arguably only Tierney commanded a fee in the same ballpark as what he is valued at now.

People may argue their value soared because they proved they can hack it down there. However the biggest issue we face is the ability of players to run their contracts down and English clubs can blow us out the water just to take a chance on someone. Not everyone will be like McGinn and sign a long term deal so we are forced to sell at knock down fees. Everyone knows McGinn was better than a £2.5M player, that's proven by both his performances down there and the fact we will likely get more in a sell on fee that we got for the initial transfer, but there was no reason for anyone to bid more than that because they all knew the score.

Anyway that's a tangent. McGinn comes across well in the interview. I love the fact he still follows Hibs and regularly bigs both us and the Scottish game up on Twitter. He's an example to young players everywhere what you can achieve if you have a work ethic and mentality that matches your natural talent.

If our turnover increases the way that Ron wants it to, and therefore our wage budget as well, then straight off the back of that then transfer fees rise as a result. The reason we have to accept lower bids is because we can’t afford not to. Those days are hopefully behind us and as a result we should gain more.

That’s the long term project that I see anyway.

Iggy Pope
21-03-2021, 04:17 PM
They took a while to manage to speak to Eddie Gray about Peter Lorimer so maybe cut it because of that.

Never thought of that. It was live right enough and I was glad they managed to get Eddie Gray on in the end.

hibsbollah
21-03-2021, 06:20 PM
Everytime he opens his mouth he shows the kind of character he is. Absolute legend.

Hibbyradge
21-03-2021, 06:25 PM
I have a soft spot for Spurs, but I hope Villa win tonight. If they do, and they win their other game in hand, they'd go sixth.

That would be amazing!

jacomo
21-03-2021, 09:39 PM

The other problem is Scottish clubs not working together for the common good.

It turned out Celtc were happy to pay £3m for SJM after all, but not until they’d got their pals in the media to talk down his valuation and trash us first.

Obviously no club wants to pay more than they have to for a player (except Man Utd, Real, PSG and a few others) but this parochialism is killing us.

McSwanky
22-03-2021, 06:24 AM
Did they ask him what his favourite food is?