PDA

View Full Version : Happy ST Patrick's Day

FilipinoHibs
17-03-2021, 12:51 AM
Thank you to the Irish men and women who fled the potato famine in Ireland for Edinburgh and founded the greatest football club in the world.

Mick O'Rourke
17-03-2021, 05:29 AM
:flag::flag: :flag:

The Harp
17-03-2021, 07:07 AM
Happy St. Patrick's Day to all Hibs.netters.
Have a good one folks.
God Bless the Hibs :)

CropleyWasGod
17-03-2021, 07:45 AM
#SnakesLivesMatter

Dalianwanda
17-03-2021, 07:59 AM
Happy St Patricks to you all...:flag:

Heres whats going in my village..A young neighbour showing his skills up Knocknarae (thats whats in my avatar) which overlooks us...The cairn (burial chamber) in the background on top of the mountain is queen Maeves which goes back 3000bc..https://www.facebook.com/sligostpatricksdayparade/videos/2809679295971107/

JXM73
17-03-2021, 08:05 AM
Foreign pish...who cares...

Dalianwanda
17-03-2021, 08:14 AM

You enough to comment

James Stephen
17-03-2021, 08:20 AM

😂

Mick O'Rourke
17-03-2021, 08:23 AM
Happy St Patricks to you all...:flag:

Heres whats going in my village..A young neighbour showing his skills up Knocknarae (thats whats in my avatar) which overlooks us...The cairn (burial chamber) in the background on top of the mountain is queen Maeves which goes back 3000bc..https://www.facebook.com/sligostpatricksdayparade/videos/2809679295971107/
Wonderful
What a talented laddie.
Great footwork!
Sign um !

James Stephen
17-03-2021, 08:23 AM
In doing some research for a project just now, i came across an anecdote some on here might be aware of.

On St Pat's day, the kids in the cowgate used to make wee improvised mallets, and used to go around asking people "Scots or Irish" - if you answered Scots, you got a dunt on the head.

It was called, imaginatively, Scots or Irish day.

The story was from around the 1930s, i dont know how long it survived as a tradition after that.

CropleyWasGod
17-03-2021, 08:25 AM
In doing some research for a project just now, i came across an anecdote some on here might be aware of.

On St Pat's day, the kids in the cowgate used to make wee improvised mallets, and used to go around asking people "Scots or Irish" - if you answered Scots, you got a dunt on the head.

The story was from around the 1930s, i dont know how long it survived as a tradition after that.

The way my Dad used to tell it, that was a year-round tradition if you went to Trinity or Holy Cross 😆

Mick O'Rourke
17-03-2021, 08:26 AM

I do !
Hail Glorious Saint Patrick

James Stephen
17-03-2021, 08:30 AM
The way my Dad used to tell it, that was a year-round tradition if you went to Trinity or Holy Cross 😆

Being the laddie of a St Anthony's boy, i wouldnt know about that 😁

Victor
17-03-2021, 09:27 AM

What does that even mean? As someone born in Scotland from Scottish parents, I have 23% Irish ancestry. Might be worth checking your own background before declaring anything ‘foreign’! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pagan Hibernia
17-03-2021, 09:40 AM

is that a direct quote from the Scottish and Edinburgh FA’s in 1875 when Hibs were trying to apply for membership?

CropleyWasGod
17-03-2021, 09:40 AM
What does that even mean? As someone born in Scotland from Scottish parents, I have 23% Irish ancestry. Might be worth checking your own background before declaring anything ‘foreign’! [emoji3]

:agree:

Also worth remembering that St Patrick is the patron saint of all Ireland, including the British, non-foreign, part.

As an aside, how does one have 23% ancestry? :confused:

FilipinoHibs
17-03-2021, 09:47 AM

Also worth remembering that St Patrick is the patron saint of all Ireland, including the British, non-foreign, part.

Some of the DNA sites give you a breakdown of your DNA. My mother is Syrian, my father Persian. I have a smattering of Native American Indian and Sub Saharan African (Father's family emigrated to Brazil in 1790). But I was born and brought up in Hawick.

Lancs Harp
17-03-2021, 09:50 AM

And St Patrick was English after all. He might even have had a bit of Scottish blood in him as likely he came from Cumbria. Not religious at all myself but in more normal times Ive enjoyed a pint or two on St Pats day (I dont need much of an excuse :greengrin)

Victor
17-03-2021, 09:51 AM

Breakdown of my DNA. Researched my family tree and discovered that my mother is descended from a large Irish family. Probably find that a large proportion of Scots will have Irish roots.

17-03-2021, 09:53 AM
Those dna percentages aren’t accurate

Iggy Pope
17-03-2021, 09:53 AM

Half day off the school as well... in the 60s and 70s that is but I’m sure the 30s were the same :greengrin:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
17-03-2021, 09:55 AM
And St Patrick was English after all. He might even have had a bit of Scottish blood in him as likely he came from Cumbria. Not religious at all myself but in more normal times Ive enjoyed a pint or two on St Pats day (I dont need much of an excuse :greengrin)

Just noticed your location. My uncle, a good Hibby all his life, lived there for a long time until he died a few years back.

nonshinyfinish
17-03-2021, 09:57 AM

Depending on the complexity of your ancestors' ancestry, any percentage is possible. The 'easy' calculation of three Scottish grandparents + one Irish grandparent = 25% Irish will usually ignore greater complexity – how likely is it that those grandparents are 100% Scottish/Irish? Once you include a more accurate breakdown of their ancestry in the calculation, you'll no longer get neat halves/quarters for your own make-up.

Calculating it accurately is another question.

Lancs Harp
17-03-2021, 09:58 AM
Just noticed your location. My uncle, a good Hibby all his life, lived there for a long time until he died a few years back.

There are a few Hibs fans scattered across the Fylde Coast and Blackpool is the summer Capital of Scotland :wink::greengrin

CropleyWasGod
17-03-2021, 09:59 AM
Depending on the complexity of your ancestors' ancestry, any percentage is possible. The 'easy' calculation of three Scottish grandparents + one Irish grandparent = 25% Irish will usually ignore greater complexity – how likely is it that those grandparents are 100% Scottish/Irish? Once you include a more accurate breakdown of their ancestry in the calculation, you'll no longer get neat halves/quarters for your own make-up.

Calculating it accurately is another question.

Cheers. :greengrin

Victor
17-03-2021, 10:06 AM

But research is. Irish government have good records that are free to access. DNA is a good starting point as it will put you in contact with those that share your DNA, then comparison of researched backgrounds shows common ancestry. Quite happy that my 23% is accurate and I can celebrate today!

Dalianwanda
17-03-2021, 10:11 AM
Wonderful
What a talented laddie.
Great footwork!
Sign um !

I'll roll a ball in front of him next time he's passing the house & see what happens :wink:

Green_one
17-03-2021, 10:12 AM

Great story. Never heard it before

Happy St Pats. If only we could have a few pints of draft Guinness

Mick O'Rourke
17-03-2021, 10:48 AM
Half day off the school as well... in the 60s and 70s that is but I’m sure the 30s were the same :greengrin:greengrin

Same for me at St Ignatius (1957 and after)
Might have been Mass at Sacred Heart in the morning.
I think that would have been the case at St Patrick's primary .

On us thy poor children,bestow a sweet smile :greengrin

surreyhibbie
17-03-2021, 10:57 AM

I cant believe they are. apparently my brother (and therefore myself) are part Scottish, English, Irish, Norwegian... and 2% Nigerian.

Gave us a laugh at least!

Victor
17-03-2021, 11:17 AM
I cant believe they are. apparently my brother (and therefore myself) are part Scottish, English, Irish, Norwegian... and 2% Nigerian.

Gave us a laugh at least!

Not that crazy. Lots of trade routes with Nigeria and Caribbean. A bit of research might find links to a maritime history, or ancestors who worked on sugar plantations. In addition I am sure that 18th century toffs would have domestic servants with African heritage. Consider the Roman, Viking and Norman invasions and you will see that we may all have exotic genes lurking within!

Iggy Pope
17-03-2021, 12:05 PM
Same for me at St Ignatius (1957 and after)
Might have been Mass at Sacred Heart in the morning.
I think that would have been the case at St Patrick's primary .

On us thy poor children,bestow a sweet smile :greengrin

It certainly was, mass seemed to take the whole morning then do what you liked!

Dear saint of our isle. :greengrin

CMurdoch
17-03-2021, 01:06 PM
Some of the DNA sites give you a breakdown of your DNA. My mother is Syrian, my father Persian. I have a smattering of Native American Indian and Sub Saharan African (Father's family emigrated to Brazil in 1790). But I was born and brought up in Hawick.

Did you live in Hawick when the Bhundu Boys lived there? They were a happening band from Zimbabwe who bizarely decided to base themselves in Hawick in 1986/87. Something to do with Hawick music guy Doug Veitch owning the record label they were signed to.

I was brought up in Gala and as you know the rivalry with Hawick was massive. In the early 80's I played rugby on a Saturday and football on a Sunday. At one point I was persuaded to play in the Hawick Sunday league for a team from Gala. The only non Hawick team in the league and from hated Gala. Every week was vast abuse time for our guys from on the pitch as well as the sidelines. i used to think Hawick folk with no interest in the games attended specially to shout and swear at us. We had a couple of Turkish students in our team and they were bemused by the aggression coming our way playing football in a Borders toon on a Sunday morning. I think we lasted 2 seasons before the weekly king fu fitbaw was deemed not worth the hassle and more dangerous than rugby on the Satuday.

Sorry for going off subject folks with my memories of Hawick in the 80's
P.S. I'm half man, half biscuit (this is for Iggy Pope)

Brizo
17-03-2021, 01:40 PM

It was definitely a St Patrick's day tradition in the 1930s although according to my late dad the "weapon" was a paper mache type ball attached to a length of string and "Scots" and "Irish" both took them out on today's date and the wrong answer could get you a dunt from either side :greengrin Got the impression from him that it was all pretty much harmless fun and that your national allegiance would vary depending on what pals you were out playing with.

Interested to hear what your project might be? Although much of it was covered in Alan Lugtons books there's a great social history to be written on the Edinburgh Irish community of the 19th and early to mid 20th century

Iggy Pope
17-03-2021, 02:19 PM
Did you live in Hawick when the Bhundu Boys lived there? They were a happening band from Zimbabwe who bizarely decided to base themselves in Hawick in 1986/87. Something to do with Hawick music guy Doug Veitch owning the record label they were signed to.

I was brought up in Gala and as you know the rivalry with Hawick was massive. In the early 80's I played rugby on a Saturday and football on a Sunday. At one point I was persuaded to play in the Hawick Sunday league for a team from Gala. The only non Hawick team in the league and from hated Gala. Every week was vast abuse time for our guys from on the pitch as well as the sidelines. i used to think Hawick folk with no interest in the games attended specially to shout and swear at us. We had a couple of Turkish students in our team and they were bemused by the aggression coming our way playing football in a Borders toon on a Sunday morning. I think we lasted 2 seasons before the weekly king fu fitbaw was deemed not worth the hassle and more dangerous than rugby on the Satuday.

Dukla man meself :greengrin

CMurdoch
17-03-2021, 03:51 PM
Dukla man meself :greengrin

It not Christmas yet.
Back in the DHSS tonight for my vaccine (EICC)
Hope the only clott is me!

FilipinoHibs
17-03-2021, 05:00 PM

I moved to Edinburgh in 1974 but mum and my sister lived in Hawick all their remaining years. Doug was younger brother of a school mate of mine. I to played rugby on a Saturday and football on Sunday. They used to only put the football posts up on a Sunday. I have a Latin name which caused a huge stir jn rugby circles. I was usually asked by folk after the rugby game on a Saturday if I liked Rugby more than football. Always stood my ground on football. I played in the Border amateur league but it was brutal. I regularly received kung-fu style tackles and threats on and off the pitch. Only when I went to Edinburgh and played at Uni did I find out that was not the norm and that Gala folk were quite nice.

CropleyWasGod
17-03-2021, 05:40 PM

But you have Dickie Davies eyes.

Wee Effen Bee
17-03-2021, 05:45 PM
Wee bit of ‘Irish’ history: many historians are not sure why people ‘celebrate’ a Scottish/Welsh man who wasn’t the most important figure in Ireland during the dark ages. Most stuff written about him was from 100s of years after he popped out his clogs - bit like the Jesus myth. Some Pagans have been known to wear a snake symbol on this day to denounce the story of Patrick as they believed the driving out of snakes was an allegory for forcibly driving out Paganism - which he didn’t actually do. Another day, another reason to get pished though. 😁

Lancs Harp
17-03-2021, 05:57 PM
Wee bit of ‘Irish’ history: many historians are not sure why people ‘celebrate’ a Scottish/Welsh man who wasn’t the most important figure in Ireland during the dark ages. Most stuff written about him was from 100s of years after he popped out his clogs - bit like the Jesus myth. Some Pagans have been known to wear a snake symbol on this day to denounce the story of Patrick as they believed the driving out of snakes was an allegory for forcibly driving out Paganism - which he didn’t actually do. Another day, another reason to get pished though. 😁

He was born in England fella.

EI255
17-03-2021, 06:01 PM
Foreign pish...who cares...Muppet.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

nonshinyfinish
17-03-2021, 06:01 PM

But if he's eligible and can do a job at right back, why not?

Lancs Harp
17-03-2021, 06:03 PM
But if he's eligible and can do a job at right back, why not?

:greengrin Too right. Ive been called up for the next Scotland squad on account of supporting Hibs from England.

Hibernia&Alba
17-03-2021, 06:15 PM
Top of the evening to you all. Happy St Pat's.

The Harp Awakes
17-03-2021, 06:21 PM
Lá fhéile Pádraig sona dhuit!

Glory, Glory to the Hibees:flag:

CentreLine
17-03-2021, 06:45 PM
Got my Irish citizenship last year, mostly to do with the Brexit thing but feel I need to do the welcome on the mat thing now 😊. Every so often I think my feet want to do a jig for no apparent reason 🤣

CMurdoch
17-03-2021, 06:54 PM
But you have Dickie Davies eyes.

No-one cares about your creative hub so get your ****in' hedge cut :wink:

Iggy Pope
17-03-2021, 07:28 PM

WT actual F? The Jesus stuff is a myth and only another reason to eat chocolate? And occasionally fish? These historians, man, taking all the fun.

Since452
17-03-2021, 07:35 PM
**** Ireland. Still annoyed at the egg chasing

Iggy Pope
17-03-2021, 07:37 PM
**** Ireland. Still annoyed at the egg chasing

That’s in a fortnight.

Hibbyradge
17-03-2021, 09:00 PM
]https://i.postimg.cc/Px5zk9sg/IMG-20210317-WA0005.jpg

The Harp Awakes
17-03-2021, 09:27 PM
Got my Irish citizenship last year, mostly to do with the Brexit thing but feel I need to do the welcome on the mat thing now 😊. Every so often I think my feet want to do a jig for no apparent reason 🤣

Good for you. 5 of my 8 great grandparents were Irish but I sadly miss out on Irish citizenship and passport:boo hoo:

Having said that, if I ever have the privilege to hold a Scottish/EU passport I wouldn't swap it for anything :party:

California-Hibs
17-03-2021, 11:35 PM
Happy St Patricks Day! God bless the Irish for forming Hibernian Football Club! 🇮🇪🍀🚢⚽️

Vault Boy
17-03-2021, 11:49 PM
Hope all my fellow Irish-Scots, and of course anyone else who celebrates St Patrick's, had a grand day.

Wee Effen Bee
18-03-2021, 09:05 PM
Most historians, who specialise in that period, indicate a Welsh or Scottish birth. Born into wealth, his da was thought to be a Romano Briton and his ma a Briton. They really don’t have enough evidence but two places are stronger favourites than anywhere else: north Wales and somewhere near Dumbarton - both in the old kingdom of Strathclyde. I think someone once described the birth places as, Wales - even money and Scotland 2/1. England was an also ran😁

Lancs Harp
18-03-2021, 09:41 PM
Most historians, who specialise in that period, indicate a Welsh or Scottish birth. Born into wealth, his da was thought to be a Romano Briton and his ma a Briton. They really don’t have enough evidence but two places are stronger favourites than anywhere else: north Wales and somewhere near Dumbarton - both in the old kingdom of Strathclyde. I think someone once described the birth places as, Wales - even money and Scotland 2/1. England was an also ran😁

I know its upsetting for you but he was English. Live with it :greengrin