PDA

View Full Version : Happy birthday mickey

BILLYHIBS
14-03-2021, 06:27 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALEX EDWARDS 75 TODAY

A footballing genius made his debut for Dunfermline Athletic against Hibernian at age 16 and would go on to become a HIBS legend after winning the Scottish Cup with the Pars

A pinpoint precision passer of the ball he could hit a 50 pence piece at 40 yards and could turn a game with just one flash of brilliance

A naturally gifted intelligent player but always on a short fuse that opponents usually tried to exploit

Legend!

Many Happy Returns

:partyhibb

:cup:

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/in-that-number-7-alex-edwards

One Day
14-03-2021, 07:43 AM
Great player, a disgrace he was never capped

Highwayman
14-03-2021, 10:35 AM
When Edwards was 16 at Dunfermline Scottish Schoolboys picked him for an international.The coaching staff were reluctant to let him go but Jock Stein said “ach let the laddie go he might never get another chance”.Jock was right again.

When you see some of the numpties that now get picked for Scotland,Mickey would be a shoo in now.

I have followed Hibs for over 60 years and Alex Edwards is still my all time favourite Hibs player.

eastterrace
14-03-2021, 11:38 AM
When Edwards was 16 at Dunfermline Scottish Schoolboys picked him for an international.The coaching staff were reluctant to let him go but Jock Stein said “ach let the laddie go he might never get another chance”.Jock was right again.

When you see some of the numpties that now get picked for Scotland,Mickey would be a shoo in now.

I have followed Hibs for over 60 years and Alex Edwards is still my all time favourite Hibs player.he was a magician on the ball. Him and doddie Macdonald use to have some barnies with Micky taken the pish out of him but he would wind him up and as usual he would retaliate.

Roxyhibee
14-03-2021, 12:00 PM
Incredibly gifted, entertaining player and even surrounded by brilliant Tornados, he frequently seemed to be a move ahead of them - saw him a few times frustratingly pointing to space someone should have been moving into.

Although Scotland had a wealth of quality high profile midfielders then, it’s ridiculous he never got a cap but I genuinely think he was such a unique talent and so ahead of his time, they wouldn’t know what to do with him back then when many Scotland squad midfield berths were taken up by wingers like Johnstone, Henderson, Morgan, Lorimer, Gray and the likes. At least king Paddy got a good few caps.

Many happy returns Alex.

BSEJVT
14-03-2021, 12:32 PM
Alex Edwards was a great great player

One of the abiding memories of my youth was watching him rip the pish out of some guy or another who ultimately booted him up in the air

Mickey got up laughing and made the gesture of cupping a breast to the guy and telling him he was a tit, the guy went tonto after that.

He was yet another hero in a team of hero's to a young impressionable boy after that.

Strangely enough I can't remember his parting of the ways with Hibs or the time leading up to it.

I don't think later generations with the multitude of other leisure opportunities available to them realise how all-consuming football was for boys of my age.

If you weren't watching football or playing it, you were reading the papers about or collecting/swapping playing cards about it.

A brief hiatus to tennis near Wimbledon & Golf near the Open were the only real breaks.

Being "capped" as old/good enough to play for your street or however your local rivalries were organised was a huge deal, a real right of passage.

These rivalries were chock full of good players and some real hard cases who couldn't play as well and if you were old/good enough to play you were old enough to take the hits that came with it, quarter was neither asked for nor granted.

Great great days

Ronniekirk
14-03-2021, 12:37 PM
Loved the wee guy Another vital cog in a great team
Happy Birthday [emoji171][emoji172]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
14-03-2021, 12:59 PM
he was a magician on the ball. Him and doddie Macdonald use to have some barnies with Micky taken the pish out of him but he would wind him up and as usual he would retaliate.
I remember one game think it was during the Miners Strike/ Power Cuts kicked off when everyone else was at work

Doddy came flying in with a two footed tackle Mickey knocked the ball past him and instead of running around him he proceeded to slowly walk over the prostrate MacDonald. Mickey never even waited for the red card he immediately ran up the tunnel leaving the Ibrox man to lift up his light blue jersey to examine the damage

Might have dreamt that :greengrin

As others have said absolute Legend held in equally high esteem by Dunfermline Athletic and a tragedy he never played for Scotland

Iggy Pope
14-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Me and my mate ventured into the Paragon club that relegation season 80/81 on a wet day v Dunfermline. Mickey was in there, signed our programmes and although Dunfermline were the team closest to his heart he said some magic things to us about his time at Hibs.... and he’d only been gone a few years at that point.
Proper hero, fitted that iconic Hibs strip perfectly.

andudare2
14-03-2021, 03:06 PM
A footballing Genius!!💚😁🖐✌

CMurdoch
14-03-2021, 05:43 PM
He really was a great player.

gbhibby
14-03-2021, 09:29 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALEX EDWARDS 75 TODAY

A footballing genius made his debut for Dunfermline Athletic against Hibernian at age 16 and would go on to become a HIBS legend after winning the Scottish Cup with the Pars

A pinpoint precision passer of the ball he could hit a 50 pence piece at 40 yards and could turn a game with just one flash of brilliance

A naturally gifted intelligent player but always on a short fuse that opponents usually tried to exploit

Legend!

Many Happy Returns

:partyhibb

:cup:

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/in-that-number-7-alex-edwards
Billy I think it was a sixpence the old 50p piece would have been too easy for Mickey.

PatHead
14-03-2021, 09:36 PM
Happy birthday to a great player

ancient hibee
14-03-2021, 09:42 PM
The other great thing about him was that he was a terrific worker.100% every time. I remember early in his time with us when we were slaughtering somebody and one of them lobbed the goalie,the defence stood and watched-it was a consolation goal- but Edwards raced back and leapt up and hooked the ball away.We Think Boyle gets no protection-Edwards will think he gets an easy time.

Hiber-nation
14-03-2021, 09:50 PM
The other great thing about him was that he was a terrific worker.100% every time. I remember early in his time with us when we were slaughtering somebody and one of them lobbed the goalie,the defence stood and watched-it was a consolation goal- but Edwards raced back and leapt up and hooked the ball away.We Think Boyle gets no protection-Edwards will think he gets an easy time.

I remember that.....think it was against Arbroath in a midwčk game. Best goal line clearance I've ever seen.

What a player he was, these chipped crosses straight to Alan Gordon's head were magical.

O'Rourke3
14-03-2021, 09:53 PM
Brilliant footballer who was given no protection and massive punishments for being constantly blootered by enforcers when 'It was a man's game". Booting the offender in the hee haws usually resulted in a booking for ungentlemanly conduct. Still my favourite no 7 despite SJM.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
14-03-2021, 09:56 PM
I remember that.....think it was against Arbroath in a midwčk game. Best goal line clearance I've ever seen.

What a player he was, these chipped crosses straight to Alan Gordon's head were magical.
If it wasn’t Arbroath it was Cowdenbeath.(or similar:greengrin).