PDA

View Full Version : Walter Smith

PatHead
13-03-2021, 07:20 PM
Sportscene saying that he has had s major operation.
Hope he gets well soon.

hibbysam
13-03-2021, 07:26 PM
Hope he gets well soon.

Rangers tweeted it earlier, mainly due to a fair few morons in their support spreading rumours that he had passed away.

Iain G
13-03-2021, 07:29 PM
Hope he gets well soon.

It was really weirdly announcee by Chic Young earlier, as if it was the talk of Scotland that he wasn't well? He stumbled over the announcement...

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2021, 07:32 PM
Yes, let's hope he makes a full recovery. He's a good guy.

Sylar
13-03-2021, 07:32 PM
Sorry to hear the news earlier and hope he makes a full recovery.

Was born (literally) down the road from where I live and he has a lot of family still in the area - we see him about town occasionally (well, not recently given Covid) and is very well thought of in the town.

Pretty Boy
13-03-2021, 08:04 PM
Always had a lot of time for Walter Smith. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Bright_Hibee
15-03-2021, 11:50 AM
Hopefully he makes a full recovery soon. As much as I don't like the currant buns, he was a fantastic manager for them and was great for the Scottish national team too

scoopyboy
15-03-2021, 11:59 AM
I have respect for Walter Smith, I can't say that about a lot of people that have had a high profile at Ibrox.

One game in particular comes to mind when we won 3-0 at Ibrox on a Wednesday night. Chick Young repeatedly asked what went wrong and why didn't Rangers win and Smith kept telling him Hibs played well, deserved the result and he had no complaints. Young couldn't take this in. He was always well turned out as well.

Hope he makes a complete recovery.

Lancs Harp
15-03-2021, 12:01 PM
Hope he makes a full recovery. I think Walter Smith is one of those guys you could comfortably tag as a "proper football man".

Stevie Reid
15-03-2021, 12:03 PM
Didn't really appreciate him as manager until he took over the national team.

Usually spoke, and came across, well. I also seem to remember (though I may be wrong) that he didn't come out with any of the OTT self entitled froth, that many Rangers affiliates were spouting during the liquidation period.

Wish him well.

Vault Boy
15-03-2021, 12:13 PM
Can only wish him well, a true legend of Scottish football.

Smartie
15-03-2021, 12:51 PM
I always thought it was a bit easy to discredit his achievements in domestic football as Rangers had such a big financial advantage over the rest of the clubs first time round, but I grew to really respect his ability as a manager when he took charge of Scotland and then when he led a fairly average group of players to a UEFA cup final.

A top manager and by all accounts a good guy.

Scouse Hibee
15-03-2021, 12:59 PM
Wishing him a speedy recovery, met him several times when Rangers used to stay at the Caley, a nice guy to talk to.

gbhibby
15-03-2021, 01:55 PM
His interview with chick Young is a classic. I am sure he will have his headphones on listening to some heavy rock in hospital.

Scorrie
15-03-2021, 02:32 PM
His interview with chick Young is a classic. I am sure he will have his headphones on listening to some heavy rock in hospital.

The interview on YouTube between Smith and Chick Young is one of the funniest things you’ll see!

oneone73
15-03-2021, 02:38 PM
Walked out on Scotland in our hour of need, did he not?

Viva_Palmeiras
15-03-2021, 02:46 PM

I’m sure there are other quotable facts about Walter Smith. I appreciate that this is generally (in some cases unfortunately) how the internet works.

The fact you chose this particular fact at this time perhaps reflects more on you than it does on him?

JimBHibees
15-03-2021, 03:03 PM
I have respect for Walter Smith, I can't say that about a lot of people that have had a high profile at Ibrox.

One game in particular comes to mind when we won 3-0 at Ibrox on a Wednesday night. Chick Young repeatedly asked what went wrong and why didn't Rangers win and Smith kept telling him Hibs played well, deserved the result and he had no complaints. Young couldn't take this in. He was always well turned out as well.

Hope he makes a complete recovery.

Agree always liked him for that unlike many managers from other clubs he always gave credit to a team that beat his team. Hope he gets better soon.

Smartie
15-03-2021, 03:07 PM

It was hardly our hour of need.

Arguably it was Rangers’ hour of need that he left Scotland for and nobody could deny that in football that was his first love.

Forgiveness, man. It’s good for the soul.

DaveF
15-03-2021, 09:56 PM
The interview on YouTube between Smith and Chick Young is one of the funniest things you’ll see!

I'd never seen it before but just watched it and he's brilliant. "Aye we had a bad night last night but you are having a ****ing 'mare this morning"

superfurryhibby
15-03-2021, 10:02 PM
One of the good Huns. Hope he recovers from whatever ails him.

Steve20
16-03-2021, 02:58 AM

He’s a Rangers supporter, so why wouldn’t he leave Scotland for that job?

If I was a good manager, managing Scotland and Hibs came in for me, I’d drop the Scotland job in a second.

BILLYHIBS
16-03-2021, 04:24 AM
One of the good Huns

Get better soon Wattie

:thumbsup:

JimBHibees
16-03-2021, 05:57 AM
I'd never seen it before but just watched it and he's brilliant. "Aye we had a bad night last night but you are having a ****ing 'mare this morning"

Is that the one about Basil Boli? Hysterical :greengrin

Iggy Pope
18-03-2021, 10:19 PM

“Archie, c’mere and listen to this ****”.

jgl07
18-03-2021, 11:19 PM
A thoroughly decent human being.

Also a rather good manager for Rangers and Everton.

Get well soon Walter.