PDA

View Full Version : 6 points, +11 GD on Aberdeen (so really 7points) 6 games left..

California-Hibs
13-03-2021, 05:32 PM
I know I shouldn't, I really really shouldn't, but, I'll stick my neck out and say I think that 3rd is ours! We can even afford to lose 2 and still be clear with our big goal difference, not to mention scoring shy Aberdeen currently 1 goal (and win) in the last 9 straight! No chance are they winning the majority of their remaining 6, 2 tops and that still see's us 3rd anyway regardless!

Everything's with us, yes one game at a time, 6 'Cup Finals' etc etc but **** it, that result was huge today and has me very confident, as we should be!

Carheenlea
13-03-2021, 05:42 PM
I think we’ll win third place with games to spare.

nonshinyfinish
13-03-2021, 05:45 PM
I agree that we're very much in control and it's a long way back for Aberdeen, but I don't think the "goal difference = an extra point" argument applies this far out. In reality, if Aberdeen catch us on points, it will almost certainly mean we've lost five or six of our remaining games, so even in the best case of one-goal defeats that's half the goal difference gone already. Then take into account that Aberdeen must have won a few games to close the gap, if they've won a couple by two goals then they'll have pretty much eliminated the goal difference.

This might sound negative, but it's not – an 11-goal advantage is still an advantage, and it's one Aberdeen would love to have right now, just like they'd love to have a six-point lead. But it doesn't really translate into an extra point until nearer the death.

Doesn't matter anyway, they're not catching us.

calumhibee1
13-03-2021, 05:46 PM
I think we’ll win third place with games to spare.

If we could better Aberdeen’s result next week then I’d agree. :agree:

Sir David Gray
13-03-2021, 05:53 PM
I think we're currently one win short of securing 3rd.

I can't see us not winning any of our last 6 matches and I also don't see Aberdeen winning at least two more games than us over the last 6 games either.

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2021, 05:54 PM
The phrase "one game at a time' is one of the most trite in sport, but what else can we do at this stage, when every point will matter? We have a big advantage and it's just a matter of keeping the points ticking over. If we mess it up from here, it will be a hard yin to take.

Lee Marvin
13-03-2021, 05:55 PM
Avoid defeat at Pittodrie and it would take a minor miracle for sheep to catch us

Paul1642
13-03-2021, 05:57 PM
Avoid defeat at Pittodrie and it would take a minor miracle for sheep to catch us

Depending when we play them it hopefully won’t matter :)

scoopyboy
13-03-2021, 05:58 PM
Can't take anything for granted, we could lose at Livingston and they win at Tannadice and its down to 3 points and if they beat us at Pittodrie that's the six point lead wiped out.

It's in our own hands and would rather be in our shoes than theirs.

Pagan Hibernia
13-03-2021, 06:03 PM
I don’t think they’ll win at united next week

The Spaceman
13-03-2021, 06:03 PM
Can't take anything for granted, we could lose at Livingston and they win at Tannadice and its down to 3 points and if they beat us at Pittodrie that's the six point lead wiped out.

This is where I’m at. I think if we go to Livingston and pick up the three points regardless of Aberdeen’s result, we can absolutely start to believe. Today’s three points were massive, but we are still capable of some real banana-skin moments.

Iggy Pope
13-03-2021, 06:04 PM
What are we looking at with the fixtures?
Huns, Aberdeen away.
Livi, Celtic and either of the Saints at home.
Is that sounding right?

Sauzeesleftfoot
13-03-2021, 06:06 PM
I know I shouldn't, I really really shouldn't, but, I'll stick my neck out and say I think that 3rd is ours! We can even afford to lose 2 and still be clear with our big goal difference, not to mention scoring shy Aberdeen currently 1 goal (and win) in the last 9 straight! No chance are they winning the majority of their remaining 6, 2 tops and that still see's us 3rd anyway regardless!

Everything's with us, yes one game at a time, 6 'Cup Finals' etc etc but **** it, that result was huge today and has me very confident, as we should be!

Whilst I share your optimism, the phrase ‘Hibsd it’ came from such comments ....

Pretty Boy
I've been a Hibs fan long enough to leave the passport firmly in the drawer for now😂

scoopyboy
Huns, Aberdeen away.
Is that sounding right?

Yes

JimBHibees
13-03-2021, 06:08 PM
Think we will win at Livingston. If so they have a mountain to climb. Hope St Mirren get top 6 given our record against them.

nonshinyfinish
13-03-2021, 06:08 PM
Whilst I share your optimism, the phrase ‘Hibsd it’ came from such comments ....

I don't think 'hibsed it' ever had anything to do with fans' expectations.

And anyway, that phrase was comprehensively redefined about five years ago.

scoopyboy
13-03-2021, 06:10 PM
I don’t think they’ll win at united next week

I hope you're right PH.

Two 0-0 draws between them so far and a third would do nicely.

United have next to no chance of making the top six so I hope they remember to turn up.

scoopyboy
13-03-2021, 06:11 PM
Think we will win at Livingston. If so they have a mountain to climb. Hope St Mirren get top 6 given our record against them.

I want St.Mirren to get top six as well.

Iggy Pope
13-03-2021, 06:16 PM
Yes

Ta.

erin go bragh
13-03-2021, 06:17 PM
Huns, Aberdeen away.
Is that sounding right?

Surely with us and Aberdeen fighting it out for third , we will get a 2nd home game against them , rather than 3 times at Pittodrie 😉

oneone73
13-03-2021, 06:18 PM
Surely with us and Aberdeen fighting it out for third , we will get a 2nd home game against them , rather than 3 times at Pittodrie 😉

We've only been to Pittodrie once?

Iggy Pope
13-03-2021, 06:18 PM

Steady, steady......

Chorley Hibee
13-03-2021, 06:20 PM
Can see it going to a final day decider at Pittodrie. You read it here first.

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2021, 06:22 PM

God naaaaw :greengrin

04Sauzee
13-03-2021, 06:28 PM

With their chairman pleading on a daily basis to get fans in the ground.

Onion
13-03-2021, 06:29 PM
It's Hibs 3rd place to lose. Today was absolutely HUGE. Aberdeen needed us to lose today to have any realistic chance of catching us, but we had the bottle to take the points under a lot of pressure :

Comeback Kings TICK
Nisbet Scores TICK
3 Points TICK

Well done Hibs and Jack Ross.

Paul1642
13-03-2021, 07:58 PM
Every game is a big one until it’s wrapped up. Livi might be above Dundee United by 7 seven points but I would say us and Aberdeen have equally as tough tasks next week. We should at least match them which is all we need to do. The boy Scott Robinson was a top player for Livi during there great run of form and looks like he is away for reasons not yet known.

hibbysam
13-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Every game is a big one until it’s wrapped up. Livi might be above Dundee United by 7 seven points but I would say us and Aberdeen have equally as tough tasks next week. We should at least match them which is all we need to do. The boy Scott Robinson was a top player for Livi during there great run of form and looks like he is away for reasons not yet known.

We’re a far better side than Livingston, but we need to work hard again. Full weeks rest/work and we go again. Big performance then into the international break with most of the boys getting a bit time off.

Onceinawhile
13-03-2021, 08:06 PM
As long as we don't lose to Aberdeen we'll be fine.

They'd have 4 games to make up points (as they're not taking points off the of)

California-Hibs
13-03-2021, 08:40 PM
As long as we don't lose to Aberdeen we'll be fine.

They'd have 4 games to make up points (as they're not taking points off the of)

Disagree, I think how its gonna play out is that we could now even find ourselves losing to Aberdeen and still finishing 3rd.

hibby6270
13-03-2021, 08:42 PM
Hate to rain on everyone’s parade, but our post split record over the years, is sketchy to say the least.
Now, that may be because we don’t usually have much to play for but realism always kicks in for me.

Today’s result was important but next weeks is even more crucial. At worst, maintain the 6 point lead. Ideally, we go 9 clear with 5 games to go. They are the 2 scenarios the team must aim for.

If only our home record was even 50% better than it is, it would be done and dusted by now - 3rd place that is. It’s only happened this number of times - 6 - in my near 60 years of support. (ET managed it twice plus 2 second places.)

Then we could add JR to this stellar list of names -

Shankly/Macfarlane, Turnbull, Miller, McLeish, Mowbray

It’s long overdue again. I hope I’ve not tempted fate with my “glass half empty” ramblings! :greengrin

hibbysam
13-03-2021, 08:44 PM
Hate to rain on everyone’s parade, but our post split record over the years, is sketchy to say the least.
Now, that may be because we don’t usually have much to play for but realism always kicks in for me.

Today’s result was important but next weeks is even more crucial. At worst, maintain the 6 point lead. Ideally, we go 9 clear with 5 games to go. They are the 2 scenarios the team must aim for.

If only our home record was even 50% better than it is, it would be done and dusted by now - 3rd place that is. It’s only happened this number of times - 6 - in my near 60 years of support. (ET managed it twice plus 2 second places.)

Then we could add JR to this stellar list of names -

Shankly/Macfarlane, Turnbull, Miller, McLeish, Mowbray

It’s long overdue again. I hope I’ve not tempted fate with my “glass half empty” ramblings! :greengrin

How many times have we lost all 5 post split games? That’s what I feel would have to happen for Aberdeen to have any chance.

Andy74
13-03-2021, 08:45 PM

Yep, still to play them up there so there’s still very little in it really.

Unseen work
13-03-2021, 09:00 PM
I won’t think it’s our until it’s confirmed.

I really don’t think 6 points is a big lead at all especially since we have to play them again away from home and there’s so many tough games.

Aberdeen could very well get a new manager bounce too.

I’d love us to do it with games to spare so we could give much needed game time to guys like Allan, Magennis and youngsters like Bradley to see what they can do.

Jones28
13-03-2021, 09:02 PM
The only result we need to worry about is playing them at Pittodrie. If we continued our relative performances against the rest of the teams in the top 6 we will be golden.

AFKA5814_Hibs
13-03-2021, 09:12 PM
Aberdeen's record against Celtc/Huns is generally quite poor whilst I reckon we always fancy our chances of getting points against both. If we can avoid defeat at Pittodrie then reckon 3rd place is ours.

LeithMike
13-03-2021, 09:18 PM
Funny results can happen with the title over and done with. Unlikely that Rangers will have the same intensity so there's always a chance of us and Aberdeen getting a result against them.

We've still got the Scottish Cup too so hopefully Hibs can go on another good run and finish strongly rather than limping over the line for 3rd.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

hibbysam
13-03-2021, 09:18 PM
Aberdeen's record against Celtc/Huns is generally quite poor whilst I reckon we always fancy our chances of getting points against both. If we can avoid defeat at Pittodrie then reckon 3rd place is ours.

Aberdeen also have four away games and their away record is worse than our home record, when chasing a minimum of 7 points just to catch us then that’s not a great position to be in.

mayo hibee
13-03-2021, 09:19 PM
I’d love us to do it with games to spare so we could give much needed game time to guys like Allan, Magennis and youngsters like Bradley to see what they can do.

If we win next week against Livingston it will be almost done and dusted. Especially if Aberdeen slip up again. I think 8 or 9 points of a gap at the split would be impossible to make up. Would be great to have it done so that we can give full focus to the cup if that competition does go ahead to the latest announced schedule.

bingo70
13-03-2021, 09:29 PM

Even in that scenario, although the points total would be wiped out we would still be ahead of them on goal difference so they’d still need to make up another point somewhere else.

Of course you’re right mathematically, I think though that it’s unlikely they will catch us.

Match or better their result next week and it’s all but confirmed IMO.

jacomo
13-03-2021, 09:36 PM
The job’s not done yet, but it feels good to be where we are.

So often we seem to head in to the final round of fixtures chasing a situation and hoping a team above us slips up.

Nevi_SOL
13-03-2021, 10:00 PM
I don’t think it’s a bad thing playing Aberdeen away. They have to win so have to go all out against us with players like Boyle Murphy and nisbet. This suits us to the ground. IMO

hibby6270
13-03-2021, 10:04 PM
How many times have we lost all 5 post split games? That’s what I feel would have to happen for Aberdeen to have any chance.

You’re right. Never lost all 5.
However, we’ve lost 4 games twice and 3 games three times, out of 8 seasons we’ve been in the play offs. The only, what could be called a positive season, was in 12/13 with 3 wins & 2 draws but that was against bottom 6 teams. When we’re in top 6, we don’t (or haven’t) done so well. Just saying.

My glass is still ‘half empty’. :wink:

hibbysam
13-03-2021, 10:23 PM
However, we’ve lost 4 games twice and 3 games three times, out of 8 seasons we’ve been in the play offs. The only, what could be called a positive season, was in 12/13 with 3 wins & 2 draws but that was against bottom 6 teams. When we’re in top 6, we don’t (or haven’t) done so well. Just saying.

So worst case scenario we win 1 game. That’s 10 points Aberdeen need from 6 games, including 2 against the old firm, and 4 away from home. Even those with a half empty glass couldn’t see a side that have won once in goodness knows how long and scored 1 goal in that time turning in title winning form for 6 games.

AFKA5814_Hibs
13-03-2021, 10:31 PM

Agree. I can't remember Hibs having a good post split set so results in the top half of the league. In the bottom half maybe, when we have been clearly better than the other teams, but I seem to think our post split results in the top half have been pretty poor over the years.

hibbysam
13-03-2021, 10:36 PM
Agree. I can't remember Hibs having a good post split set so results in the top half of the league. In the bottom half maybe, when we have been clearly better than the other teams, but I seem to think our post split results in the top half have been pretty poor over the years.

2 years ago - 2 points
3 years ago - 8 points

That’s since getting promoted. Again, even taking two points as worst case, Aberdeen would need 9 from 6 which although possible, it’s very unlikely.

AFKA5814_Hibs
13-03-2021, 10:48 PM
2 years ago - 2 points
3 years ago - 8 points

That’s since getting promoted. Again, even taking two points as worst case, Aberdeen would need 9 from 6 which although possible, it’s very unlikely.

Next weekend will have a big say on how things will pan out
If its 3 points going into split its game on, 6 points its advantage Hibs, 9 points its game over for the Sheep. Traditionally, we dont gain many points over 5 post split fixtures in the top half but this year we might not need to anyway.

Sir David Gray
13-03-2021, 11:24 PM
The highest amount of points we have got post split in the top six is 8 points whilst the lowest is 2 points.

Our average is just over 4 points from those last 5 games which I believe would be good enough for 3rd.

Sir David Gray
14-03-2021, 08:37 AM
The highest amount of points we have got post split in the top six is 8 points whilst the lowest is 2 points.

Our average is just over 4 points from those last 5 games which I believe would be good enough for 3rd.

By comparison, Aberdeen's highest amount of post split points in the top six in a single season is 11 and their lowest is 3.

Their average number of points collected post split in the top six is just under 7 points.

If we at least match their result next week and go into the split with a 6 point lead then I'd say one post split victory will be enough.

If we win next week and they don't then I'm confident enough to say that it's over.

Onion
14-03-2021, 09:01 AM
The only result we need to worry about is playing them at Pittodrie. If we continued our relative performances against the rest of the teams in the top 6 we will be golden.

IMO the very last thing Hibs want is to make the Pittodrie game into a cup final. Aberdeen would love to get into that position.

Hibs - with a 6 point lead - should be fully focused on ramping up points from every other game starting with Livi. Our best chance of adding points is against teams below us pre-split, so Livi becomes our most important step towards 3rd.

Col2
14-03-2021, 09:05 AM
Assuming we do finish 3rd (strong favorites now) then you just wonder if the difference between finishing 3rd and 4th will be...

Ron NOT selling Nisbet and Porto

Yet Cormack sold Cosgrove and Wright leaving them little creativity and even less goals. And then firing McInnes.

If this is how it turns out then we need to give big Ron a huge amount of credit as well as Jack Ross.

DH1875
14-03-2021, 09:10 AM
11 goals is nothing. Say Aberdeen beat us 3-0, that's a 6 goal swing so would only be 5 goals in it. And that's just one example. We could lose 3-0 to the rangers, Aberdeen lose 1-0 to them and that's another 2 goals pulled back.
Defo not counting my chickens yet. That's for sure.

G B Young
14-03-2021, 09:21 AM
If we win next week against Livingston it will be almost done and dusted. Especially if Aberdeen slip up again. I think 8 or 9 points of a gap at the split would be impossible to make up. Would be great to have it done so that we can give full focus to the cup if that competition does go ahead to the latest announced schedule.

A win at Livi would certainly be massive, though that will be a big ask. There's a very decent chance that Aberdeen will fail to win at Tannadice though.

CentreLine
14-03-2021, 09:31 AM

Is that a phrase? Only in the minds of a few of a certain hew

Eyrie
14-03-2021, 09:55 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if our visit to Pittodrie is the first post-split fixture as it will be decisive in the race for third if we avoid defeat. That makes it an attractive fixture for TV, especially if Sevco are at home since the default choice is whichever Ugly Sister is away and Celtc fans are turning off in their droves.

1van Sprou7e
14-03-2021, 10:37 AM
Funny results can happen with the title over and done with. Unlikely that Rangers will have the same intensity so there's always a chance of us and Aberdeen getting a result against them.

We've still got the Scottish Cup too so hopefully Hibs can go on another good run and finish strongly rather than limping over the line for 3rd.

This is my concern. Rangers could very well be less motivated by the time they play Aberdeen and there are also two games against Livi and St Mirren/Johnstone so plenty of opportunity for the dons to pick up points if they get their sh*t together...

hibbysam
14-03-2021, 10:38 AM
11 goals is nothing. Say Aberdeen beat us 3-0, that's a 6 goal swing so would only be 5 goals in it. And that's just one example. We could lose 3-0 to the rangers, Aberdeen lose 1-0 to them and that's another 2 goals pulled back.
Defo not counting my chickens yet. That's for sure.

Again, 11 goals over 6 games may not normally be a lot, but for us to finish level on points Aberdeen would only win 2 more games than us.

They would have to gain 11 MORE goals over their 2 wins and our 6 defeats (8 games) than they lost from their 4 defeats.

Now you factor in the facts around Aberdeen’s scoring record and its generally a mountain to climb for them.

Since452
14-03-2021, 10:41 AM
We're both unlikely to beat the old firm so in reality it's more like 4 games left

hibee-boys
14-03-2021, 10:42 AM
Still a lot of work to be done, 18pts to play for......far from over. I think a win next weekend and not losing to them post split will get the job done.

Ryan91
14-03-2021, 10:48 AM

Huns will want to chase the undefeated season, no chance they're slacking off

neil7908
14-03-2021, 10:50 AM
Under McInnes I'd be very confident. New manager bounce worries me though.

neil7908
14-03-2021, 10:52 AM
Huns will want to chase the undefeated season, no chance they're slacking off

Your probably right but if they progress in Europe no way they will risk top players for meaningless games in Scotland.

Man Down Under
14-03-2021, 11:00 AM
I think it'll be pretty close, not super confident to be honest.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Ryan91
14-03-2021, 11:00 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if our visit to Pittodrie is the first post-split fixture as it will be decisive in the race for third if we avoid defeat. That makes it an attractive fixture for TV, especially if Sevco are at home since the default choice is whichever Ugly Sister is away and Celtc fans are turning off in their droves.

First post-split game at Pittodrie would see us play 4 away games on the trot, we'll be at Home first post-split fixture

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2021, 11:11 AM
We're both unlikely to beat the old firm so in reality it's more like 4 games left

Celtic haven't won a league game at Easter Road since 2014. We have every chance of getting something from that. We were seconds away from beating them earlier this season.

danhibees1875
14-03-2021, 11:33 AM
Next weekend will be telling.

Livi are no mugs despite their poor run of form until yesterday, they'll have an eye on catching Aberdeen as well as wanting to establish a gap over st mirren to secure 5th (and likely European football).

Dundee United have nothing left to play for - but that's not to say that they'll not still be as up for it against Aberdeen as they would have been in any other situation.

Maintain or increase the 6 point gap and that's great and puts us in a commanding position. I'll not be counting any chickens until the maths allows though - 6 points soon disappears when everyone plays each other in quick succession.

Hibbyradge
14-03-2021, 11:40 AM
https://youtu.be/nnNXcZmn2k4

Warning: That video induces cringe favour 10!

Ryan91
14-03-2021, 11:44 AM
Celtic haven't won a league game at Easter Road since 2014. We have every chance of getting something from that. We were seconds away from beating them earlier this season.

Didn't realise our league record against Celtic at ER was that good

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2021, 11:47 AM
Didn't realise our league record against Celtic at ER was that good

Van Dijk scored for them that day, thats how long it was.

Sir David Gray
14-03-2021, 12:38 PM
Here is the history of each season since the league went to a split after 33 games in season 2000/01.

As you will see only twice before has a team in 3rd going into the split finished any lower than 3rd and on both of those occasions the gap after 33 games was less than the lead we currently have over Aberdeen. However in 15/16 Hearts' lead was cut by 7 points so if our lead stays the same after next weekend, this would be the only season where a 6 point lead would not have been enough to stay at least 3rd;

00/01

After 33 games Hibs were 3rd and held a 12 point lead over Kilmarnock.

End of the season - Hibs finished 3rd, 12 points ahead of Kilmarnock.

01/02

After 33 games Aberdeen were 3rd and held a 2 point lead over Livingston.

End of the season - Livingston finished 3rd, 3 points ahead of Aberdeen.

02/03

After 33 games Hearts were 3rd and held a 7 point lead over Kilmarnock.

End of the season - Hearts finished 3rd, 6 points ahead of Kilmarnock.

03/04

After 33 games Hearts were 3rd and held an 8 point lead over Dunfermline.

End of the season - Hearts finished 3rd, 15 points ahead of Dunfermline.

04/05

After 33 games Hibs were 3rd and held a 4 point lead over Aberdeen.

End of the season - Hibs finished 3rd, ahead of Aberdeen on goal difference.

05/06

After 33 games Rangers were 3rd and held a 10 point lead over Hibs.

End of the season - Rangers finished 3rd, 17 points ahead of Hibs.

06/07

After 33 games Aberdeen were 3rd and held a 3 point lead over Hearts.

End of the season - Aberdeen finished 3rd, 4 points ahead of Hearts.

07/08

After 33 games Motherwell were 3rd and held a 3 point lead over Dundee Utd.

End of the season - Motherwell finished 3rd, 7 points ahead of Aberdeen.

08/09

After 33 games Hearts were 3rd and held a 5 point lead over Dundee Utd.

End of the season - Hearts finished 3rd, 6 points ahead of Aberdeen.

09/10

After 33 games Dundee Utd were 3rd and held a 9 point lead over Hibs.

End of the season - Dundee Utd finished 3rd, 9 points ahead of Hibs.

10/11

After 33 games Hearts were 3rd and held a 9 point lead over Dundee Utd.

End of the season - Hearts finished 3rd, 2 points ahead of Dundee Utd.

11/12

After 33 games Motherwell were 3rd and held a 5 point lead over St Johnstone.

End of the season - Motherwell finished 3rd, 3 points ahead of Dundee Utd.

12/13

After 33 games Inverness were 3rd and held a 5 point lead over St Johnstone.

End of the season - St Johnstone finished 3rd, 2 points ahead of Inverness.

13/14

After 33 games Motherwell were 3rd and held a 6 point lead over Dundee Utd.

End of the season - Motherwell finished 2nd.

14/15

After 33 games Inverness were 3rd and held a 9 point lead over Dundee Utd.

End of the season - Inverness finished 3rd, 8 points ahead of St Johnstone.

15/16

After 33 games Hearts were 3rd and held a 16 point lead over Motherwell.

End of the season - Hearts finished 3rd, 9 points ahead of St Johnstone.

16/17

After 33 games Rangers were 3rd and held a 9 point lead over St Johnstone.

End of the season - Rangers finished 3rd, 9 points ahead of St Johnstone.

17/18

After 33 games Aberdeen were 3rd and held a 3 point lead over Hibs.

End of the season - Aberdeen finished 2nd.

18/19

After 33 games Kilmarnock were 3rd ahead of Aberdeen on goal difference.

End of the season - Kilmarnock finished 3rd, ahead of Aberdeen on goal difference.

Iggy Pope
14-03-2021, 02:11 PM
^
Sair heed now.

Iggy Pope
14-03-2021, 02:16 PM
https://youtu.be/nnNXcZmn2k4

Warning: That video induces cringe favour 10!

Aw man, that could only have been made better by one of them falling off their bike!