PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Ross County 13 03 21)

Jonnyboy
13-03-2021, 05:26 PM
Jack Ross was well aware of the importance of winning this game and made just one change to his starting line up in bringing in Doidge for Nisbet and it was clear from the off that Hibs were fired up and ready to go. The first 45 minutes although bringing no goals were the best I’ve seen Hibs play for some weeks.

As early as the fourth minute we should have taken the lead when Boyle pounced on a poor pass back and fed the ball to Cadden who skied his effort from about eight yards out. It was a shocking miss and will no doubt haunt the Hibs man in his sleep tonight. Soon after, Boyle was just offside as Irvine slotted the ball through to him. It was quick thinking from Irvine, and he’d try the same thing again throughout the game.

A bog standard foul by Gogic was penalised by the issue of a yellow card by referee John Beaton who must have had a different view of the challenge to everyone else. A decent through ball from Porteous looked to have set Boyle free but once again he was called offside. A wonderful low ball across the six yard box by Doig caught Doidge on his heels when the ball was just begging to be poked home.

Around the twenty five minute mark, Josh Doig cut in from the left and from near the edge of the County box he curled a right foot effort that just cleared Laidlaw’s bar. Hibs were bossing things and a Doidge header was well saved by Laidlaw although the ref had already blown for an infringement. Laidlaw was having a fine game and as it turned out he stopped his side getting a bit of a tanking.

Another fine pass from Irvine set Boyle free and the Hibs man slotted the ball home but once again, an offside flag had been raised. It’s hard to tell from TV pictures but that looked to be a very tight decision.

County started to enjoy a bit more meaningful possession for a while, but Marciano was largely untroubled, and the next decent chance actually fell to Hibs as Doidge wheeled in the box to send an angled drive in, but the ball flew over the bar. It was a difficult chance and would have been an exceptional finish had the shot gone in.

As the half drew to a close, Irvine once again sent Boyle through and once again offside was given much to the consternation of the Hibs man who looked to have timed his run perfectly. Quite how the half finished goalless is a mystery as Hibs made enough decent chances but were often thwarted by excellent goalkeeping from Ross Laidlaw.

It seemed highly likely that the half time talk by John Hughes would ensure a more competitive and fired up County, but the first chance of the half fell to Cadden who raced on to a pass from Irvine but hit his shot against the keepers’ legs. Typically, just a minute or so later, County took the lead when a hooked clearance by Porteous went straight to Naismith who lofted a ball back in that Hibs failed to defend properly, allowing White to head the ball to Billy McKay who slotted home from close range. In watching the replay, I felt the ball was in the air long enough that Rocky could have come and collected it.

Given our recent reaction to going behind in games I was fearing the worst but a minute or so after conceding, Hibs were awarded a penalty when Boyle went down in the box under a challenge from Iacovitti. Some may feel it was soft but there was definitely a tangle of legs and John Beaton didn’t hesitate in making his decision. It was interesting to watch Ross Laidlaw trying to wind Boyler up as the ref sorted out the many complaining County players, but the Hibs man had the last laugh in ramming home the spot kick. This was exactly the kind of reaction to going behind that has been sadly missing in the recent past.

In the aftermath of the goal being scored, Jack Ross replaced Cadden with Nisbet who joined Doidge up front with Boyle moving wide on the right. Hibs were pushing hard now but Boyle pushed just a little too hard and caught Hjelde as the defender cleared the ball. It was a yellow card all day long, even though the County players surrounded Beaton insisting on a red. There was some red involved as during the challenge, Boyle took a bash in the mouth that required treatment to stem the flow of blood.

For some reason, Hibs began to struggle a bit defensively – no doubt because John Hughes had instructed his players to get the ball into the Hibs box at every opportunity. On one such occasion we failed to clear our lines and Keith Watson blasted a shot at goal from ten yards only to see Rocky make a fine save and then another in smothering a follow up effort from White. At the other end, Boyle went down in the box again, but John Beaton wasn’t interested, and replays showed the ref was correct in his interpretation of events.

Level again, Hibs set about looking for another goal and only a stunning double save from Laidlaw prevented them from securing it. First, Boyle was set free, but Laidlaw blocked his effort at goal. The ball reached Gogic who hammered a low effort on target only for the ex Hibs man to save again with his feet. Still Hibs kept the pressure on and fine play from Hanlon and Doidge saw the ball reach Nisbet at the far post; Kevin gleefully tapping the ball home to end his goal drought.

With around twenty minutes left, John Hughes made a triple substitution and County began to enjoy more possession and Hibs were struggling a bit to keep them out. Naismith and Hjelde both had efforts blocked as Hibs showed little attacking intent. Doig was then replaced by Stevenson, the former looking dead on his feet as he left the pitch.

High balls into the box were causing all sorts of problems for Hibs and one such ball was met by Jordan White whose header crashed off the outside of a post with Marciano rooted to the spot. In pushing so many men forward, County were a bit open at the back and Irvine found space to slide the ball through to Nisbet who bore down on goal but had his effort saved once again by Laidlaw who had enjoyed a fine afternoon. Moments later, Irvine again found Nisbet and again Laidlaw denied the Hibs man.

As County poured forward again, Joe Newell was rightly booked for a foul on Paton and was lucky to escape a second when a few minutes later he kicked the ball away to prevent a quick free kick. I’m thinking Joe was frustrated because the free kick had been awarded against him for a perfectly legal challenge on a County player.

John Hughes then brought on Oli Shaw and the former Hibs man had a quick opportunity to make his mark but his effort from just outside the box was brilliantly blocked by Porteous. Soon after, Nisbet broke away with Doidge to his left and Kevin played the big man in, but Doidge took too long to get his shot away and the chance to ensure the points was gone.

With the clock running down, White got another free header away, but the ball sailed wide. Presumably fed up watching them winning so many headers, Jack Ross replaced Doidge with McGregor and the change worked well enough as Hibs saw out the four added minutes by taking the ball into the corners at every opportunity.

The players

Marciano – I’m still uncertain as to whether I’m being harsh on Rocky not coming for the ball when we went behind but also have to praise him for that excellent double save in the second half.

McGinn – Paul has had a shaky few week’s performance wise but I thought he was solid enough today.

Porteous – Ryan had a bit of a torrid time against Jordan White but won more headers than he lost to the County man.

Hanlon – Once again Paul endeavoured to lead by example and it’s worthy of praise that it was his ball that reached Nisbet for the winning goal.

Cadden – Chris needs to find his shooting boots as that’s two games in a row now that he’s missed gilt edged chances to score.

Irvine – Looking back over the game and writing this stuff up it reminded me of just how good a game Jackson had. Playing further forward than of late he was by far the most creative in our midfield and gets my man of the match award.

Gogic – In my view his booking was harsh but fair play to Alex because he didn’t change his style of play and put in the hard yards in the middle of the park.

Newell – Joe played a bit deeper today I thought and though he didn’t particularly stand out, he put in a good shift and was excellent in helping to see out time at the end.

Doig – His ball across the area early on deserved to be attacked as it was on a plate. Also, his right footed curler was decent. Looked very tired when he came off and I’m not surprised because he puts 100% effort into everything he does.

Boyle – Clever movement but going just too soon resulted in a few offside decisions. Won the penalty, which I think was a spot kick despite what that slaver John Hughes said after the game and fired it home. Got lucky with the second ‘penalty’ incident though.

Doidge – Still a stranger to the score sheet he continues to give his all and played a key role in the build up to Nisbet’s goal.

Nisbet – Kevin did exactly what Doidge should have done with Doig’s low cross in the first half. He anticipated the ball might come to him and positioned himself accordingly. I think the smiling celebration says it all.

Stevenson – Interestingly, Naismith didn’t get nearly as many opportunities to deliver crosses after Lewis came on. We were defending a lead and he helped ensure we retained it.

McGregor – Big Daz only got about five minutes or so but won a couple of headers during that time.

Jack Ross – He is often criticised for not geeing the players up enough. He certainly achieved that today and I’m delighted for him.

Referee – John Beaton is John Beaton – end of.

nonshinyfinish
13-03-2021, 05:33 PM
Jack Ross – He is often criticised for not geeing the players up enough. He certainly achieved that today and I’m delighted for him.

It was obvious from the reaction at the final whistle that the importance of the three points wasn't lost on any of the players. Great to see.

GreenCastle
13-03-2021, 05:43 PM
Nisbet 2nd top league scorer in Scotland - quite impressive for his 1st season and missing quite a few games recent and the personal circumstances he has faced too.

DaveF
13-03-2021, 06:18 PM
Tangle of legs 😁

Someone still bitter re Clown Clancy 🙂

3pm
13-03-2021, 06:18 PM
I think Hibs got their fair share of luck from Beaton today.

number9dream
13-03-2021, 06:21 PM
A very welcome three points and good to see the lads coming from behind to win.
Cadden's early miss was shocking and for all of our territorial domination we didn't test Laidlaw nearly enough in the first half.
The second half was a wild ride though, with the heavy rain a major factor. The dreadful conditions added an element of slapstick in both boxes and made for some good old fashioned blood and thunder all over the park.
Irvine stood out with some neat passes and strong running, while everyone worked their socks off.
Great for Nisbet to grab the winner but he really should have stuck away another one when he was clean through and probably should have gone himself after that rather than passing to Doidge.
Top work from Marciano with the double save, but we got a bit lucky with the guy's terrible follow-up effort.
The penalty was soft and Boyle was lucky not to get a second booking for his dive, but he gets kicked from pillar to post most weeks, so deserves a bit of slack.

erin go bragh
13-03-2021, 06:27 PM
Good summary as per JB . Brilliant win and it’s the first time this season in the league, that we have won , when going behind .

wookie70
13-03-2021, 06:39 PM
I agree with most of that apart from Ross Laidlaw having a great first half. We never had a shot on target and Rocky was busier than Laidlaw in the first half. The former Hibs man did have a great second half unfortunately. I agree that Rocky could have came for the ball for their goal and the double save he made could easily have been a fairly routine single save if he had got the ball off to the side initially. Great and well deserved 3 points and also nice to see an opposition manager complaining about the ref. It doesn't happen very often.

Hibrandenburg
13-03-2021, 07:04 PM
Thanks JB, missed the match today so this is my first stop as usual.

Curried
13-03-2021, 09:09 PM
Great summary of the match as always. Agreed, Irvine was a standout for Hibs and also my MoTM.

Forza Fred
13-03-2021, 09:40 PM
Thank Dog for Boyler!

Where would we be without him?

BILLYHIBS
13-03-2021, 10:45 PM
Been standing outside waiting on the ‘Pink’ to arrive for ages - absolutely baltic -that delivery guy is getting later and later

A lot of weird looking critters standing beside me in the queue pipes, cardigans and Rovers parked ootside the shop Pretty sure some of them might be Jambos

Missed the game today Jonnyboy and this is my first port of call

Took me back to the sixties

Many thanks for posting greatly appreciated as always

Jonnyboy
13-03-2021, 11:10 PM
Tangle of legs 😁

Someone still bitter re Clown Clancy 🙂

😂 whatever gives you that impression, Dave? 😉

Allant1981
14-03-2021, 06:32 AM
I agree with most of that apart from Ross Laidlaw having a great first half. We never had a shot on target and Rocky was busier than Laidlaw in the first half. The former Hibs man did have a great second half unfortunately. I agree that Rocky could have came for the ball for their goal and the double save he made could easily have been a fairly routine single save if he had got the ball off to the side initially. Great and well deserved 3 points and also nice to see an opposition manager complaining about the ref. It doesn't happen very often.

The shot got skelped at him, he didn't have time to put it out wide, it was a really good save

147lothian
14-03-2021, 07:44 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy, your match summary is always the post I look forward to reading most, to say that I am happy about leaving there with the 3 points would be an understatement, that was a massive win and I am delighted.

Jonnyboy
14-03-2021, 11:51 AM
The shot got skelped at him, he didn't have time to put it out wide, it was a really good save

Yep, exactly that

Bangkok Hibby
14-03-2021, 12:47 PM
Yep, exactly that

As a goalkeeper if a ball is coming straight at you at speed you instinctively throw your hands up, 1 to save a goal and 2 to stop it skelping you in the face. Agree he didn't have time to do much with the ball but to describe it as a good save is generous. It was pure instinct which every teams third choice keeper would have dealt with exactly the same way. It doesn't make Rocky something special which was mentioned on another thread.

wookie70
14-03-2021, 01:14 PM

Not for me. I may have been harsh in terms of wanting him to push it wide but I don't see many professional keepers not saving that. Routine save.

brog
14-03-2021, 02:01 PM
Thanks John. If I criticise our club, players or management in any way I try always to be constructive. Having said that I'm really at a loss to understand why Martin B is on set pieces. If Martin is showing best in training then how bad must the rest be? I noticed Newell started taking them from the right in the 2nd half & surely we can find someone else to take from the left if an inswinger is needed. No criticism of Martin is intended. He's a great player for us but he's not in the team for his set piece ability.

Iggy Pope
14-03-2021, 02:06 PM
Thanks John. If I criticise our club, players or management in any way I try always to be constructive. Having said that I'm really at a loss to understand why Martin B is on set pieces. If Martin is showing best in training then how bad must the rest be? I noticed Newell started taking them from the right in the 2nd half & surely we can find someone else to take from the left if an inswinger is needed. No criticism of Martin is intended. He's a great player for us but he's not in the team for his set piece ability.

Agree with this. There was a free kick first half that was crying out to be swung in from the right with Doidge, Hanlon and Porteous all waiting on it, and he hit the first man in front of him at shoulder height getting me out my seat for all the wrong reasons.

Jonnyboy
14-03-2021, 04:19 PM

Baffles me too, B. Newell strikes a good dead ball so I’d have him on free kicks corners etc

CMurdoch
14-03-2021, 05:05 PM
Thanks JB, missed the match today so this is my first stop as usual.

Been standing outside waiting on the ‘Pink’ to arrive for ages - absolutely baltic -that delivery guy is getting later and later

A lot of weird looking critters standing beside me in the queue pipes, cardigans and Rovers parked ootside the shop Pretty sure some of them might be Jambos

Do yourselves a favour guys and watch the game back.
Really enjoyable especially because we won in the end.
Both teams played well.

Lago
14-03-2021, 08:42 PM

A lot of weird looking critters standing beside me in the queue pipes, cardigans and Rovers parked ootside the shop pretty sure some of them might be Jambos

Those were the days, freezing cold waiting for the van, loved it.

BILLYHIBS
14-03-2021, 09:06 PM
Those were the days, freezing cold waiting for the van, loved it.
:agree:

I used to to panic because he would drop off a wee bundle bound with blue plastic rope that contained about 24 copies and the queue would be getting bigger by the minute :confused:

ancient hibee
14-03-2021, 09:59 PM

I used to to panic because he would drop off a wee bundle bound with blue plastic rope that contained about 24 copies and the queue would be getting bigger by the minute :confused:
The one carrying the bundle in always got the first paper-often led to unseemly antics outside.

14-03-2021, 10:12 PM
Used to get the pink from esso at cannonmills. Was always excitedly get it if hibs won

cabbageandribs1875
14-03-2021, 10:14 PM
i was listening to the commentary that had Craigan, he said Cadden was captain of the Motherwell youth side in 2016 but his final ball always let him down

in a recent game at ER he coulda/shoulda burst the net

BILLYHIBS
15-03-2021, 01:17 PM
Do yourselves a favour guys and watch the game back.
Really enjoyable especially because we won in the end.
Both teams played well.
Watched it

Good game one of the better performances from HIBS

Cadden needs to get his head and knee over the ball

Doig’s ball across goal in the first half was perfect for a Kevin Nisbet tap-in

Never a pen imho but will take it all day long

Onwards and upwards

BILLYHIBS
15-03-2021, 01:20 PM
The one carrying the bundle in always got the first paper-often led to unseemly antics outside.

Bet he could feel the eyes burning into the back of his heid one hand clutching the papers the other clutching a 20p piece to pay for the first paper

B.H.F.C
15-03-2021, 01:34 PM
i was listening to the commentary that had Craigan, he said Cadden was captain of the Motherwell youth side in 2016 but his final ball always let him down

in a recent game at ER he coulda/shoulda burst the net

Thought Cadden had a solid enough start with us but he’ll need to start contributing in the final third to keep playing regularly.. Can see Nisbet coming in for him with Boyle going wide on Saturday.

worcesterhibby
15-03-2021, 09:24 PM
excellent, well written, balanced but always positive report as always...If only there was one man working for the BBC with your skills !

Jonnyboy
15-03-2021, 11:16 PM
excellent, well written, balanced but always positive report as always...If only there was one man working for the BBC with your skills !

I’m open to offers 😂