PDA

View Full Version : Well done Jack Ross

worcesterhibby
13-03-2021, 04:57 PM
For a manager that has had us in 3rd for weeks, he has taken an enormous amount of stick from the Craigan soundalikes in the Hibs support. Delighted for Him today, he always seems to find a way to get us to battle our way out of a slump. :top marks We are 3rd for a reason.

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2021, 04:59 PM
For a manager that has had us in 3rd for weeks, he has taken an enormous amount of stick from the Craigan soundalikes in the Hibs support. Delighted for Him today, he always seems to find a way to get us to battle our way out of a slump. :top marks We are 3rd for a reason.
:top marks

Unseen work
13-03-2021, 05:05 PM
Couldn’t agree more.

I think he said we’ve finished 3rd 3/4 times since he’s been alive? That’s an awful stat and I think something a lot of fans overlook.

Whilst we should be finishing higher and a lot more often, history shows we haven’t been. It would be a great achievement.

I liked his comments in his pre match interview about how managers come in with 2-3 year plans about where they want the club to go, style to play etc and whilst he has that, he knows that the most important is the here and now and the only way he’ll be able to achieve his plan is by putting out a team that wins games.

This season whilst it’s not been amazing football it’s resulted in us picking up a lot of wins.

Winning most weeks and finishing 3rd gives us the basis to grow and continue the plan Ross wants us to be on.

He can then get better players in, adapt his style and continue to win games

Steve88
13-03-2021, 05:12 PM
I gave the squad and JR stick - and rightly so - over the festive period after being being dominated by Livi and Ross County + a lucky draw against a very weak celtic squad. Those performances were truly awful, not one person on here can defend them

I asked them to step it up, they have..

Wakeyhibee
13-03-2021, 05:13 PM
100% well done. The record stands for itself. This could see us get some serious financial gains. In turn attract/keep good players and give us a great platform to consolidate higher placings than we are used to in future.

04Sauzee
13-03-2021, 05:21 PM
His top league % win stats holds up against anyone else in recent times

hibsbollah
13-03-2021, 05:27 PM
Can he win Big Games though?

:tumble:

Peevemor
13-03-2021, 05:34 PM
It's impossible to know how someone else might have done given the Covid stuff as well as major changes in Hibs business set up, but I really rate Jack Ross.

He's a manager in the literal sense of the word and our current style of play, while we may not always be on the edge of our seats, has us racking up points that we would have dropped in years gone by.

Any squad is a work in progress but his signings have been pretty successful, while also showing a willingness to introduce youngsters but without burning them out.

We'll have to be patient as there'll be other slumps to come, but the underlying trend is definitely heading in the right direction

MWHIBBIES
13-03-2021, 05:36 PM
I gave the squad and JR stick - and rightly so - over the festive period after being being dominated by Livi and Ross County + a lucky draw against a very weak celtic squad. Those performances were truly awful, not one person on here can defend them

We were not awful at Parkhead. We played well against a stronger team.

Iggy Pope
13-03-2021, 05:39 PM
Hats off from here too but “ Craigan soundalikes in the Hibs support?” Just nah to that one.

Iggy Pope
13-03-2021, 05:40 PM

Quite the post! So you’re taking the credit for it then?

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2021, 05:42 PM
It's impossible to know how someone else might have done given the Covid stuff as well as major changes in Hibs business set up, but I really rate Jack Ross.

He's a manager in the literal sense of the word and our current style of play, while we may not always be on the edge of our seats, has us racking up points that we would have dropped in years gone by.

Any squad is a work in progress but his signings have been pretty successful, while also showing a willingness to introduce youngsters but without burning them out.

We'll have to be patient as there'll be other slumps to come, but the underlying trend is definitely heading in the right direction

Me too, he's building something here, and with a bit of time and patience, along with Ron's backing and Europe, we have exciting times ahead.:thumbsup:

Vault Boy
13-03-2021, 05:46 PM
He's in the top 10 managers for points per game in the Premiership for teams outside the Old Firm.

calumhibee1
13-03-2021, 05:47 PM
He's in the top 10 managers for points per game in the Premiership for teams outside the Old Firm.

Who else is on that list out of interest?

I bet there’s some surprising crap managers on there, there’s been some really strange teams doing really well in Scotland over the last 10 years.

Vault Boy
13-03-2021, 05:49 PM
Who else is on that list out of interest?

I bet there’s some surprising crap managers on there, there’s been some really strange teams doing really well in Scotland over the last 10 years.

Can't recall the full list or where I saw it unfortunately! I know Neil Lennon was 7th, one place above Ross, and Mogga was a couple below. McInnes must have been near the top.

scoopyboy
13-03-2021, 05:51 PM
Me too, he's building something here, and with a bit of time and patience, along with Ron's backing and Europe, we have exciting times ahead.:thumbsup:

I have felt for years we could do with a manager who stays for more than the 18 months to 2 year stints, we have had far too many managers and in my opinion this hasn't helped.

Most of them had to go when they did but it would be good if Jack Ross was the man that got the lengthy run.

Iggy Pope
13-03-2021, 05:52 PM
I’d imagine Levein might be in that list as well so I’ll lend it nae credibility!

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2021, 06:01 PM
I have felt for years we could do with a manager who stays for more than the 18 months to 2 year stints, we have had far too many managers and in my opinion this hasn't helped.

Most of them had to go when they did but it would be good if Jack Ross was the man that got the lengthy run.

I agree, but as we've seen with him this season, a season where we are 3rd, he's taken some serious stick. People actually wanting him sacked, we cant keep doing that, especially with someone doing as well as he is.

One set back and the usuals will be foaming at the mouth, when someone who has given us a good season, has achieved things for us, he should be given a chance to rectify a poor season.

Someone who has taken us to Europe through our league position, has the ability to do it again.

Mutu
13-03-2021, 06:07 PM
I agree, but as we've seen with him this season, a season where we are 3rd, he's taken some serious stick. People actually wanting him sacked, we cant keep doing that, especially with someone doing as well as he is.

One set back and the usuals will be foaming at the mouth, when someone who has given us a good season, has achieved things for us, he should be given a chance to rectify a poor season.

Someone who has taken us to Europe through our league position, has the ability to do it again.

Pretty simple why one or two set backs causes certain elements of the fan base to critique the manager/team - the style of play is brutal.

When we lose there is usually very few positives to take from a performance.

We fought well today, rode our luck and bagged an important 3 points.

Let's see if we can hold out. I hope we can.

jeffers
13-03-2021, 06:09 PM

He’s taken advantage of the weak league and has been backed when most other managers haven’t been this season. Admittedly other managers we’ve had have been unable to do that so he deserves credit. We should be at least 4th though IMO, if we finish in 3rd he’s done really well. The cup defeats and the style of football deserve some of the criticism he’s received.

I’m not suggesting he should be sacked but I’m still not convinced by him.

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2021, 06:09 PM
Pretty simple why one or two set backs causes certain elements of the fan base to critique the manager/team - the style of play is brutal.

Which teams in our league play attractive football that you would like us to copy?

B.H.F.C
13-03-2021, 06:10 PM

I agree about needing someone steady for a period of time. It’s not been brilliant this year but it’s just the two semi finals (particularly the first one) that have totally skewed opinion, me included.

If we can see the season out and get third, that can’t be argued with. Even if I still won’t feel entirely convinced, I’d like to see how we progress from there.

hibbysam
13-03-2021, 06:10 PM

That’s nonsense regarding today. We never rode luck, we absolutely battered County for 80 minutes and should’ve won by more.

Vault Boy
13-03-2021, 06:18 PM
Really enjoyed Jack's post match interview this evening. Sounds really determined.

JimBHibees
13-03-2021, 06:19 PM
Well done Jack enormous win. Some fans really need to get behind the guy and support him.

Iggy Pope
13-03-2021, 06:22 PM
That’s nonsense regarding today. We never rode luck, we absolutely battered County for 80 minutes and should’ve won by more.

Rode a bit of luck on more than one occasion, the big fellah trundling the ball back to Rocky at an open goal being a case in point (at 1-1) and they clipped the post.
Should’ve won by more certainly, but we got a couple of breaks.

Shrekko
13-03-2021, 06:27 PM
Which teams in our league play attractive football that you would like us to copy?

I’ve asked this question many times on here - you never get an answer.

Football in general is becoming quite boring and Scottish football is not of a great quality ... but somehow people believe we should be playing swashbuckling football and still winning.

We’ve scored more than anyone outside the Old Firm whilst conceding less than anyone outside the Old Firm... what exactly do people want over and above this?

Peevemor
13-03-2021, 06:31 PM
Really enjoyed Jack's post match interview this evening. Sounds really determined.Yeah, it's good stuff.

https://youtu.be/kvKL-xf2XbA

jeffers
13-03-2021, 06:31 PM

Football in general is becoming quite boring and Scottish football is not of a great quality ... but somehow people believe we should be playing swashbuckling football and still winning.

We’ve scored more than anyone outside the Old Firm whilst conceding less than anyone outside the Old Firm... what exactly do people want over and above this?

It sticks in the throat saying it, but the Huns do. Yes they have superior players but we have quality in our side, but the football doesn’t entertain me. Bar SJM is the talent any less than it was when Lennon had us playing entertaining stuff ?

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2021, 06:34 PM
Well done Jack enormous win. Some fans really need to get behind the guy and support him.

Yes, I think we all would have taken third place (assuming we get it) and two cup semi-finals this season. Historically that's a great season for Hibs. I think there are a couple of things that leave lots of fans unsure about him: 1, losing two semis we were confident of winning; 2, the football isn't great to watch. Yet overall Ross must be given pass marks for me.

Shrekko
13-03-2021, 06:36 PM
It sticks in the throat saying it, but the Huns do. Yes they have superior players but we have quality in our side, but the football doesn’t entertain me. Bar SJM is the talent any less than it was when Lennon had us playing entertaining stuff ?

Folk said the footie under Lennon was boring as well apart from that good half season.

Yes Rangers play entertaining football - we can’t compare ourselves to them I’m afraid.

I’m 49, and have rarely seen entertaining Hibs teams. I’ve seen plenty of awful teams though.

People can complain if they want but to me it’s ridiculous. Yes we should be one of the top teams but the fact is we rarely are so let’s just enjoy it.

Dashing Bob S
13-03-2021, 06:39 PM
I’m largely pro Ross, but he has his flaws. The complete capitulation to inferior but battling sides, often in (home) league games but more damagingly in big semis is an obvious cause for concern.

But he’s no mug and will be sitting down looking at ways to address where he’s come up short.

Third is credible and was a much as we were ever going to get, but we ought to have been several points closer to a poor Celtic side.

The Modfather
13-03-2021, 06:44 PM

I’ve also asked you a few times what you meant by “Walt Disney type football” and who is asking for that on a previous thread. You’re not keen to answer that either.

In terms of style, speaking generally as I didn’t watch the game today. I think it’s completely realistic to play a more attacking and faster tempo brand of football with the players we have and the money we’ve spent. Without impacting challenging for 3rd/4th. I’d find that more enjoyable than the current style, but I’m only speaking for myself.

h1bs4life
13-03-2021, 06:46 PM
Craigan soundalikes in the Hibs support ?
Ross has rightly been criticised for getting beat in a Scottish Cup semi final by a lower league team and then getting hammered in a League Cup semi final by a team with a fraction of the budget we have .
There has also been pretty poor home performances as well.
Said on another thread could play like we did today and win every game would be delighted , would be our most successful season since 2016.
Strange these threads start up after a win having a go at others , stranger that when there are threads about buying season tickets certain posters are nowhere to be seen .
Maybe they should have a look at these threads , you will see that people who have parted with £400 to watch games on line and will no doubt part with £400 next season think of the football that has been on offer.
People if crowds had have been allowed would have been at the semi finals and not just made an effort if we reach a final.
No doubt next season when crowds are back they will be watching Hibs as usual on Hibs net complaining of the fans at the game putting the players off .

Andy74
13-03-2021, 06:52 PM
Criticism of style of play should be saved for managers who are genuinely defensive minded and create nothing or aimlessly hoof the ball forward non stop as a chosen preferred tactic.

We aren’t any of those things. Not even close.

jeffers
13-03-2021, 06:57 PM
Folk said the footie under Lennon was boring as well apart from that good half season.

Yes Rangers play entertaining football - we can’t compare ourselves to them I’m afraid.

I’m 49, and have rarely seen entertaining Hibs teams. I’ve seen plenty of awful teams though.

People can complain if they want but to me it’s ridiculous. Yes we should be one of the top teams but the fact is we rarely are so let’s just enjoy it.

It absolutely was, but that half season was amongst the best I’ve seen in a long time.

I agree, but I always go in the hope of being entertained though admittedly it doesn’t happen enough. It’s the debate over what is more important, winning games or playing good football. Being greedy I want both. My concern with Ross is he’s more pragmatic and free flowing football isn’t his style.

Of course not being there in person gives you a different take on things, maybe I’d feel differently if I was.

Shrekko
13-03-2021, 07:09 PM
I’ve also asked you a few times what you meant by “Walt Disney type football” and who is asking for that on a previous thread. You’re not keen to answer that either.

In terms of style, speaking generally as I didn’t watch the game today. I think it’s completely realistic to play a more attacking and faster tempo brand of football with the players we have and the money we’ve spent. Without impacting challenging for 3rd/4th. I’d find that more enjoyable than the current style, but I’m only speaking for myself.

Walt Disney type football? You’ve lost me totally or got the wrong person.

The Harp Awakes
13-03-2021, 08:13 PM
That was a tough fixture today coming off 2 bad defeats. The Manager and players showed guts and determination. Great win :flag:

FilipinoHibs
13-03-2021, 09:40 PM
Well done JR, certainly had the players up for it today.

FilipinoHibs
13-03-2021, 09:43 PM

Entertaining Hibs teams in fifty years of watching Hibs:

70-77

91-94

99-01

05-07

14-16

19 - half year.

14.5 years out of 50.

WeeRussell
13-03-2021, 10:43 PM
I don’t think JR is the messiah or faultless or anything like that.. but I struggle to understand why so many were demanding that we enjoyed Lennon while we had him, count ourselves lucky, he’s the best manager in our life times etc.

Yet what seems like half our fans on here will grudgingly, at best, give our current manager a bit of credit for what’s looking likely to be the best league campaign we’ve had since.. what, Mowbray?

Shrekko
13-03-2021, 11:04 PM

70-77

91-94

99-01

05-07

14-16

19 - half year.

14.5 years out of 50.

Agree with your breakdown - unfortunately I missed the first 7 years. So I’ve had 7.5 years out of 42 😄 Not great.

The Modfather
14-03-2021, 02:14 PM
Walt Disney type football? You’ve lost me totally or got the wrong person.

I do indeed have the wrong poster, it wasn’t you that said it, apologies.

Wilson
14-03-2021, 02:24 PM
I don’t think JR is the messiah or faultless or anything like that.. but I struggle to understand why so many were demanding that we enjoyed Lennon while we had him, count ourselves lucky, he’s the best manager in our life times etc.

Yet what seems like half our fans on here will grudgingly, at best, give our current manager a bit of credit for what’s looking likely to be the best league campaign we’ve had since.. what, Mowbray?

I think it's just their respective characters. Lennon came with a big reputation. Every loss treated as unacceptable. He sounded demanding and confident in the media. He was easy to get swept along by and he did get results.

Ross is more of a slow burner. Has his standards but doesn't brag about them. Doesn't panic over defeats. Is pragmatic in his interviews. You wont get caught up in the euphoria by Ross but you are right - he is also getting results.

Since452
14-03-2021, 02:57 PM
For all the talk on here about Ross being a bottle job, his team have shown time and time again that they can bounce back.

Wakeyhibee
14-03-2021, 02:57 PM

70-77

91-94

99-01

05-07

14-16

19 - half year.

14.5 years out of 50.

70-77

91-94

99-01

05-07

14-16

19 - half year.

14.5 years out of 50.

Agree what I dont get is the over reaction to defeats given our position.

Looking at the early 70s Hibs had 2 less OF games by this point and played lower teams than we have to now instead. Yet they lost between 5 - 14 a season during this period (34 games).

I get the entertainment bit and agree it's not been as exciting football to watch but the over reaction to us losing roughly the same amount of games on average as Eddie Turnbulls pre awful patch is amazing.

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2021, 03:02 PM
For all the talk on here about Ross being a bottle job, his team have shown time and time again that they can bounce back.

Its never going to go away. No matter what. There are an element of Hibs fans who are just disgustingly negative, bordering on toxic and abusive. There are a few of them who are coincidently missing this weekend, when they make dozens of posts if we lose. It was getting that way yesterday. The match thread in the first half was pathetic.

Fergus52
14-03-2021, 03:31 PM

70-77

91-94

99-01

05-07

14-16

19 - half year.

14.5 years out of 50.

Throw in the first half of that season under yogi where we were top in November and went unbeaten for ages.

That attacking 442 that was almost a 424 with stokes and nish up front, Riordan and zemmamma out wide, and Liam miller and McBride in centre midfield was great to watch when everyone was fit before our collapse

Aldo
14-03-2021, 03:36 PM
Hopefully secure 3rd and then look to a good cup run.

Plan ahead for next season and look to bring in more quality to push us on!

Meant to add.... well done to Jack Ross and the board for putting us in this position!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worcesterhibby
14-03-2021, 03:49 PM
Craigan soundalikes in the Hibs support ?
Ross has rightly been criticised for getting beat in a Scottish Cup semi final by a lower league team and then getting hammered in a League Cup semi final by a team with a fraction of the budget we have .
There has also been pretty poor home performances as well.
Said on another thread could play like we did today and win every game would be delighted , would be our most successful season since 2016.
Strange these threads start up after a win having a go at others , stranger that when there are threads about buying season tickets certain posters are nowhere to be seen .
Maybe they should have a look at these threads , you will see that people who have parted with £400 to watch games on line and will no doubt part with £400 next season think of the football that has been on offer.
People if crowds had have been allowed would have been at the semi finals and not just made an effort if we reach a final.
No doubt next season when crowds are back they will be watching Hibs as usual on Hibs net complaining of the fans at the game putting the players off .

If you are having a go at me because I'm not a season ticket holder, then maybe take a minute. It's a 6-9 hours drive for me to get to Easter Road and I do it about four times a season. That's what I can afford both financially and family/work wise. With accommodation that costs me far in excess of £400 a year and I also contribute far more than £400 a year directly to Hibs through various purchases. I have no issue with people criticising poor performances, but some of the vindictive, nasty, sneering comments towards our own players and manager that I read on Facebook and twitter leave me speechless at times.

Onion
14-03-2021, 04:02 PM
I’m largely pro Ross, but he has his flaws. The complete capitulation to inferior but battling sides, often in (home) league games but more damagingly in big semis is an obvious cause for concern.

But he’s no mug and will be sitting down looking at ways to address where he’s come up short.

Third is credible and was a much as we were ever going to get, but we ought to have been several points closer to a poor Celtic side.

If 3rd place brings us an extended European campaign (as opposed to the usual 2 games and out), Jack Ross MUST bring in a new Captain - one with grit, leadership skills and experience. Scott brown would be perfect, but he might be off to Aberdeen.

Since452
14-03-2021, 04:07 PM
If 3rd place brings us an extended European campaign (as opposed to the usual 2 games and out), Jack Ross MUST bring in a new Captain - one with grit, leadership skills and experience. Scott brown would be perfect, but he might be off to Aberdeen.

We'll certainly need a larger squad if we're playing in Europe until Christmas but yeah I agree about a new captian. They're hard to find though.

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2021, 04:12 PM

a 35 year old just walking in and becoming captain? Got to disagree there. Dreadful idea.

Its quality football players we need. The captain thing is way overblown. What makes Brown a better leader than Gray, McGregor or Hanlon? Just because hes played for Celtic and won things? Why didn't he lead them to a title this season?

hibbysam
14-03-2021, 04:17 PM

The same captain that’s dragged us through the last two games - unfortunate last week and then setting up the winner yesterday while being solid defensively. We need a bigger squad and with that should come some more characters to help us, but you won’t find many with more experience than ours.

Northernhibee
14-03-2021, 09:25 PM

Out of ourselves and Celtic, it’s not us that’s been lacking leaders this season.

ancient hibee
14-03-2021, 09:52 PM

Celtic could certainly have done with a captain having all these qualities this season.

HendoDelivered
14-03-2021, 10:15 PM
Its never going to go away. No matter what. There are an element of Hibs fans who are just disgustingly negative, bordering on toxic and abusive. There are a few of them who are coincidently missing this weekend, when they make dozens of posts if we lose. It was getting that way yesterday. The match thread in the first half was pathetic.

:agree:

The amount of “game over” etc posts was embarrassing.

Wilson
14-03-2021, 10:21 PM
:agree:

The amount of “game over” etc posts was embarrassing.

To be fair we are not known, under Ross, as a club that comes back from a goal down. If you thought a win was coming at that point then you hadn't been paying attention. Fair play to Ross and the team for getting it done.

SMAXXA
14-03-2021, 10:42 PM
Criticism directed at the manager is quite simply a disgrace at times. There are some arse holes who ‘support’ the club like any other team out there. There has been merit for criticism that can’t be argued but what I see is some people who will simply never accept JR because we lost the semi final to Hearts.

We are nowhere near as bad a side as people make out we are in terms of style of play is horrendous, it’s simple not. It’s not a brilliant style of total football don’t get me wrong but it’s as good as I’ve seen from anyone this season other than the huns.

Modern day football with the social media element makes it so easy to be knee jerk and go over the top after a loss. There are people on Twitter I see losing their **** and Genuinely feel no matter what he was to achieve they are waiting fir a reason to slaughter him and want him out. It’s actually quite bizarre.

matty_f
14-03-2021, 11:00 PM
Criticism directed at the manager is quite simply a disgrace at times. There are some arse holes who ‘support’ the club like any other team out there. There has been merit for criticism that can’t be argued but what I see is some people who will simply never accept JR because we lost the semi final to Hearts.

We are nowhere near as bad a side as people make out we are in terms of style of play is horrendous, it’s simple not. It’s not a brilliant style of total football don’t get me wrong but it’s as good as I’ve seen from anyone this season other than the huns.

Modern day football with the social media element makes it so easy to be knee jerk and go over the top after a loss. There are people on Twitter I see losing their **** and Genuinely feel no matter what he was to achieve they are waiting fir a reason to slaughter him and want him out. It’s actually quite bizarre.

Couldn’t agree more.

Shrekko
14-03-2021, 11:24 PM
a 35 year old just walking in and becoming captain? Got to disagree there. Dreadful idea.

Its quality football players we need. The captain thing is way overblown. What makes Brown a better leader than Gray, McGregor or Hanlon? Just because hes played for Celtic and won things? Why didn't he lead them to a title this season?

Agree - and Hanlon has led by example the last couple of games.

Brown is a ‘great leader’ when things are going well.... not so much when a REAL challenge is happening. He normally just makes a tit of himself when the chips are down.

Crunchie
15-03-2021, 05:55 AM

70-77

91-94

99-01

05-07

14-16

19 - half year.

14.5 years out of 50.
And there were still some dreadful cup and league performances / results in each of those seasons.

Ray_
15-03-2021, 06:45 AM

Rightly so?

You really have a very short memory, for a vast majority of the last forty years results like that have been commonplace and not just over a three game period, some people will just never be satisfied. It is called progress and if we continue to progress during his second year, I for one will be delighted.

PatHead
15-03-2021, 07:20 AM

Think every club has supporters like that. Just waiting on a plane flying over Easter Road with Ross out after a derby defeat.
Think the phrase, be careful what you wish for, comes to mind.

SMAXXA
15-03-2021, 09:37 AM
Think every club has supporters like that. Just waiting on a plane flying over Easter Road with Ross out after a derby defeat.
Think the phrase, be careful what you wish for, comes to mind.

The latter statement is something I say regularly and your bang on. Football fans are forever chasing the unknown, the messiah that will magically make us a force overnight. That doesn’t happen very often at all in any league without substantial investment generally. I genuinely think the word supporter is being replaced by something else, make it whatever you want, follower, association with a club whatever but for me gone are the days you would defend and back your club till blue in the face even tho you knew deep down there were issues 😂. I know supporting a club doesn’t mean you can’t criticise absolutely not, but some of what I read is on another level, when the chips are down what happened to getting tighter, show of solidarity, back and defend your own not throw them to the wolves and want them sacked. That approach does have its limitations and timescales as constant and sustained issues will only end up with people losing patience and believe me none of the above is anywhere close to where we and JR are at the moment. Potentially brilliant first full season to use as a foundation to build, enjoy it have the faith it is going in the right direction life’s too short as PatHead you say be careful what you wish for.

Allez Hibs
15-03-2021, 10:10 AM
The latter statement is something I say regularly and your bang on. Football fans are forever chasing the unknown, the messiah that will magically make us a force overnight. That doesn’t happen very often at all in any league without substantial investment generally. I genuinely think the word supporter is being replaced by something else, make it whatever you want, follower, association with a club whatever but for me gone are the days you would defend and back your club till blue in the face even tho you knew deep down there were issues 😂. I know supporting a club doesn’t mean you can’t criticise absolutely not, but some of what I read is on another level, when the chips are down what happened to getting tighter, show of solidarity, back and defend your own not throw them to the wolves and want them sacked. That approach does have its limitations and timescales as constant and sustained issues will only end up with people losing patience and believe me none of the above is anywhere close to where we and JR are at the moment. Potentially brilliant first full season to use as a foundation to build, enjoy it have the faith it is going in the right direction life’s too short as PatHead you say be careful what you wish for.

Jack Ross will deserve some credit if he delivers 3rd place and what it potentially could mean for the club. Let's hope we see 3rd place over the line.

Jim44
15-03-2021, 10:15 AM
The latter statement is something I say regularly and your bang on. Football fans are forever chasing the unknown, the messiah that will magically make us a force overnight. That doesn’t happen very often at all in any league without substantial investment generally. I genuinely think the word supporter is being replaced by something else, make it whatever you want, follower, association with a club whatever but for me gone are the days you would defend and back your club till blue in the face even tho you knew deep down there were issues ��. I know supporting a club doesn’t mean you can’t criticise absolutely not, but some of what I read is on another level, when the chips are down what happened to getting tighter, show of solidarity, back and defend your own not throw them to the wolves and want them sacked. That approach does have its limitations and timescales as constant and sustained issues will only end up with people losing patience and believe me none of the above is anywhere close to where we and JR are at the moment. Potentially brilliant first full season to use as a foundation to build, enjoy it have the faith it is going in the right direction life’s too short as PatHead you say be careful what you wish for.

Very good post and where I’m at these days. I’ve supported Hibs for over 65 years and have probably been through the full gambit of emotions in that time. I’ve had many moments of pessimism, frustration and knee-jerk reactions, but I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of managers I actually
wanted sacked. I won’t deny there were moments when I would have liked to see the back of some of them but bottom line is, as SMAXXA says, “getting tighter, show of solidarity, back and defend your own not throw them to the wolves and want them sacked”. :hibees

Hibbyradge
15-03-2021, 10:36 AM
Very good post and where I’m at these days. I’ve supported Hibs for over 65 years and have probably been through the full gambit of emotions in that time. I’ve had many moments of pessimism, frustration and knee-jerk reactions, but I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of managers I actually
wanted sacked. I won’t deny there were moments when I would have liked to see the back of some of them but bottom line is, as SMAXXA says, “getting tighter, show of solidarity, back and defend your own not throw them to the wolves and want them sacked”. :hibees

I'm the same. I can't remember what I wanted to happen when Auld was boss, and I probably should have given up on Williamson before I did, but the only manager I completely lost faith with was Heckingbottom.

I'm not even sure I was calling for Butcher to be sacked until after he relegated us.

Northernhibee
15-03-2021, 11:03 AM
I've said it before; if you had fans in the stadium reacting to the play then this seasons football would have been much more entertaining to watch for that reason alone.

It's not the most attractive football we've ever played, but it's also still pretty good overall. Good individual players, able to mix up our style of play well and adapt.

Billy Whizz
15-03-2021, 11:23 AM
Think Jack looked a bit happier in his interview with our Comms manager post match

Onion
15-03-2021, 11:30 AM
I've said it before; if you had fans in the stadium reacting to the play then this seasons football would have been much more entertaining to watch for that reason alone.

It's not the most attractive football we've ever played, but it's also still pretty good overall. Good individual players, able to mix up our style of play well and adapt.

On paper, we have a very good squad and it's a real pity we've not been able to support them. If we do get 3rd, it will be on merit. However, there is still room for improvement in terms of style of play and character. We need a better captain and less reliance on Martin Boyle.

JR and the players do deserve a lot of credit for pushing on, with Hearts out of the picture. In the past, that hasn't always happened.

Northernhibee
15-03-2021, 11:40 AM
On paper, we have a very good squad and it's a real pity we've not been able to support them. If we do get 3rd, it will be on merit. However, there is still room for improvement in terms of style of play and character. We need a better captain and less reliance on Martin Boyle.

JR and the players do deserve a lot of credit for pushing on, with Hearts out of the picture. In the past, that hasn't always happened.

I really don't see us needing a better captain. Hanlon leads by example, last couple of games he's driven us forward and is a model professional.

Crunchie
15-03-2021, 12:06 PM
I really don't see us needing a better captain. Hanlon leads by example, last couple of games he's driven us forward and is a model professional.
Last couple of games maybe, where's he been the rest of the time? I could give you countless examples where he hasn't driven the team forward.
Good footballer, but not my idea as a captain, give me a Rob Jones type or a Gordon Rae if it's a defender. I rated Gordon Hunter as a central defender but never thought he was captain material either, like Hanlon he was too quiet.

Bright_Hibee
15-03-2021, 12:18 PM
He deserves praise when we get good results and criticism when we've lost, some overstep the mark mind you. Definitely made the right calls at the weekend and got us a vital three points

Northernhibee
15-03-2021, 12:20 PM
Just noticed that we've won exactly 50% of our games in the league this season. Impressive.

Stanton Spence
15-03-2021, 12:23 PM
Last couple of games maybe, where's he been the rest of the time? I could give you countless examples where he hasn't driven the team forward.
Good footballer, but not my idea as a captain, give me a Rob Jones type or a Gordon Rae if it's a defender. I rated Gordon Hunter as a central defender but never thought he was captain material either, like Hanlon he was too quiet.I tend to think this captain "driving us forward" thing is a bit of a myth, there's more than one way to captain a successful side and more often than not the players who do the driving the team forward and vocal etc isn't the captain. Pat Stanton is the quiet man and I've not heard many folk complaining about his style

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

matty_f
15-03-2021, 12:24 PM
Hibs tweeted that was Jack's 250th game as a manager.

His record at Hibs is good, I genuinely hope he's here for a good while yet.

Crunchie
15-03-2021, 12:38 PM
I tend to think this captain "driving us forward" thing is a bit of a myth, there's more than one way to captain a successful side and more often than not the players who do the driving the team forward and vocal etc isn't the captain. Pat Stanton is the quiet man and I've not heard many folk complaining about his style

It was always the best player in the team in my day, and other players tended to listen more. I get what you're saying though. It's my personal opinion that a strong character is required for the job.

Stanton Spence
15-03-2021, 12:42 PM
It was always the best player in the team in my day, and other players tended to listen more. I get what you're saying though. It's my personal opinion that a strong character is required for the job.It was the same in my day mate but football is always evolving. I wouldn't be against a chest thumping captain who's vocal etc but it's not essential for a successful side but you do need characters in your side they don't need to be captain

Onion
15-03-2021, 12:52 PM

Hanlon's a good pro and a Club Legend but our worrying lack of character when going a goal down, some of our home defeats and those 2 horrible semi finals suggest we're missing drive and bottle when up against it. Hanlon was fine when we had leaders such as Gary, McGregor, McGinn, Stokes, Cummings etc but they've all but gone.

Smartie
15-03-2021, 01:04 PM

70-77

91-94

99-01

05-07

14-16

19 - half year.

14.5 years out of 50.

You’re not miles out there, although Yogi gave us another very good half season. If we’re noting the good without taking points away for the second half of the season being awful, then the time we were top at Christmas, Stokes, Nish and Riordan up front, Liam Miller controlling the midfield and Zemamma on top of his game, Bamba at the back - deserves acknowledgment.

Since452
15-03-2021, 06:50 PM

So do I. In a period where our main rivals Aberdeen and Hearts are going through a period of transition, it's a huge opportunity for us to push on.

JimBHibees
15-03-2021, 07:20 PM
Think Jack looked a bit happier in his interview with our Comms manager post match

Was a massive win for him given we had lost the previous two. Would have been delighted

Stonewall
15-03-2021, 07:31 PM
Hanlon's a good pro and a Club Legend but our worrying lack of character when going a goal down, some of our home defeats and those 2 horrible semi finals suggest we're missing drive and bottle when up against it. Hanlon was fine when we had leaders such as Gary, McGregor, McGinn, Stokes, Cummings etc but they've all but gone.

I’ll give you the first 3. But Stokes and Cummings leaders: oh come on!

SJNB Hibby
15-03-2021, 07:44 PM
Agree - and Hanlon has led by example the last couple of games.

Brown is a ‘great leader’ when things are going well.... not so much when a REAL challenge is happening. He normally just makes a tit of himself when the chips are down.

Yeah!! That thousand yard stare when his team is 2-0 down in ten minutes can be a tad embarrassing in retrosoect

MWHIBBIES
15-03-2021, 07:50 PM

All of those players and Brown have had many brutal defeats. Brown lost 3 Scottish cup semi finals in a row here.

Its quality players that win games, not captains.

HendoDelivered
15-03-2021, 07:55 PM

👍🏼👍🏼

The Spaceman
15-03-2021, 08:16 PM

Absolutely. Anyone who genuinely wanted him gone in January/February is, quite frankly, a moron.

Magpie
15-03-2021, 08:29 PM
Absolutely. Anyone who genuinely wanted him gone in January/February is, quite frankly, a moron.

Think that’s a bit harsh. People are entitled to their opinion.

O'Rourke3
15-03-2021, 08:35 PM
Think that’s a bit harsh. People are entitled to their opinion.But its their opinion naw? :dunno:

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Magpie
15-03-2021, 08:38 PM
But its their opinion naw? :dunno:

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Calling someone a moron is a bit OTT imo.

jacomo
15-03-2021, 08:40 PM

Sure, but it doesn’t mean the rest of us have to accept them.

Dumb opinions deserve to be ridiculed.

Magpie
15-03-2021, 08:45 PM
Sure, but it doesn’t mean the rest of us have to accept them.

Dumb opinions deserve to be ridiculed.

Or used as a chance to personally abuse people which is a bit shady. It’s a forum where people hide behind usernames. I’d much rather someone sent me a PM if they had an issue and discuss it that way. I don’t think people were stupid for wanting Ross to go after blowing two huge games and running through a bad spell of form. Results since have proven he shouldn’t be sacked and the majority of people who wanted him gone have probably now changed their mind. I just feel like the comment made by The Spaceman was a bit of a low blow.

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2021, 08:47 PM

Harsh but fair.

jacomo
15-03-2021, 08:57 PM
Or used as a chance to personally abuse people which is a bit shady. It’s a forum where people hide behind usernames. I’d much rather someone sent me a PM if they had an issue and discuss it that way. I don’t think people were stupid for wanting Ross to go after blowing two huge games and running through a bad spell of form. Results since have proven he shouldn’t be sacked and the majority of people who wanted him gone have probably now changed their mind. I just feel like the comment made by The Spaceman was a bit of a low blow.

If folk are happy to hide behind usernames when they throw abuse at our players / manager / whoever, then they definitely need to suck it up when it comes back at them.

Wilson
15-03-2021, 10:39 PM

It is harsh. I wanted him gone and I'm far from being a moron. The results at the time were that bad that if they continued he would not be here. It is as simple as that. Fortunately the results turned, or Ross and the team turned them, and we're back where we should be.

I'm happy with my opinion at the time - it was based on what I was seeing then - and happy to accept it was proven to be wrong. Ross still has doubters but hopefully he'll win them all round. Achieving third will go a long way to doing that.

Wilson
15-03-2021, 10:43 PM
If folk are happy to hide behind usernames when they throw abuse at our players / manager / whoever, then they definitely need to suck it up when it comes back at them.

Don't I feel daft. I mean... hiding behind my actual name. Although I'm sure Jim Spaceman could be a real name too!

SMAXXA
15-03-2021, 10:45 PM
It is harsh. I wanted him gone and I'm far from being a moron. The results at the time were that bad that if they continued he would not be here. It is as simple as that. Fortunately the results turned, or Ross and the team turned them, and we're back where we should be.

I'm happy with my opinion at the time - it was based on what I was seeing then - and happy to accept it was proven to be wrong. Ross still has doubters but hopefully he'll win them all round. Achieving third will go a long way to doing that.

What results were that bad that you wanted a manager gone in what maybe no much longer than a year into the job? I don’t remember our results this season being bad enough to warrant a sacking, sure we went through a spell of losing games like every team have in the league bar Rangers so the fact you wanted him gone I don’t understand and feel it’s uncalled for. Was it around xmas time? Got to remember we were running with a small squad who for me looked like they were running on empty at times in that poor spell.

Wilson
15-03-2021, 10:54 PM
What results were that bad that you wanted a manager gone in what maybe no much longer than a year into the job? I don’t remember our results this season being bad enough to warrant a sacking, sure we went through a spell of losing games like every team have in the league bar Rangers so the fact you wanted him gone I don’t understand and feel it’s uncalled for. Was it around xmas time? Got to remember we were running with a small squad who for me looked like they were running on empty at times in that poor spell.

I think that was ultimately the problem. The small squad. We saw the instant boost adding decent quality, in Jackson Irvine and Cadden, gave to a tight and tired squad. I probably didn't give enough credence to that at the time.

It wasn't necessarily defeats but how comprehensive they were. The Livingston and Ross County ones. Then a second go at a semi final - having seen us fall to hearts - was a chance to show progress. That he had learned and could take us forward. It played out in almost the same way.

He just wasn't the man for me. Like I said - happy to be wrong.

SMAXXA
15-03-2021, 11:01 PM
I think that was ultimately the problem. The small squad and we saw the instant boost adding decent quality in Jackson Irvine and Cadden gave to a tight and tired squad. I probably didn't give enough credence to that at the time.

It wasn't necessarily defeats but how comprehensive they were. The Livingston and Ross County ones. Then a second go at a semi final - having seen us fall to hearts - was a chance to show progress. That he had learned and could take us forward. It played out in almost the same way.

He just wasn't the man for me. Like I said - happy to be wrong.

Na I get you mate the loss of those big games defo left a bad taste in the mouth of so many we are at our worst when we are expected to win these matches I feel.

JR wasn’t the man for me either to be honest and I said it at the time but equally I wasn’t sure who I wanted. Seems a good guy, articulate, rational and honest and that combined with his team 3rd in the league with 6 to go from where he came in and inherited the guys done very well. Finish 3rd and win the Scottish minimum requirement now 😂

blackpoolhibs
16-03-2021, 07:21 AM

This i did not understand, we did not have a run of bad enough results to warrant any manager to be sacked. When you consider where we were, and were we are even when we lost those games, in my opinion it's madness to even think of sacking the manager.

Cant you see what he was trying to build EVERY WINDOW, we have a better squad than when he took over, we have climbed the league, and are getting more points than normal, but a few terrible results and you want him out.

Looking at the whole picture, we are progressing, and of course doing that we will still lose a few, and lose a few that hurt, but for the good of the club we needed stability during a pandemic, where we are still progressing and look stronger now than any other club bar the obvious to come out of it stronger.

FilipinoHibs
16-03-2021, 07:32 AM

You do wonder how that opinion is formed. Social media. Returning fans after the cup final win and half a great season under Lennon. We have all heard people's unreasonable assessment of Hibs and any manager at ER. Now they have a massive echo chamber.

Sioux
16-03-2021, 07:33 AM
It's almost got to the stage that if we lose a game or two, irrespective of other results and performances, it's the bad ones that count. Two defeats in a row and people are suggesting that has become the norm and can't see us winning future games.

I'm sure if Hibs don't win on Saturday there will be calls, on here, that JR will 'come under pressure'. Madness.

Onion
16-03-2021, 08:10 AM
It's almost got to the stage that if we lose a game or two, irrespective of other results and performances, it's the bad ones that count. Two defeats in a row and people are suggesting that has become the norm and can't see us winning future games.

I'm sure if Hibs don't win on Saturday there will be calls, on here, that JR will 'come under pressure'. Madness.

These are weird COVID times. Results are not following the normal pattern. Games we'd normally expect to lose, we've been winning and vice versa which is screwing with folks' heads. It's becoming near impossible to predict Hibs results or assess where we'll end up - which just makes folk more nervous than normal hence the OTT reactions.

Allez Hibs
16-03-2021, 08:30 AM
If we go on and finish 3rd with Rangers or Celtic winning the Scottish Cup and ultimately are guaranteed Group Stage European Football we could look at it as being akin to winning a trophy - the modern day football model. Arsene Wenger said finishing Top 4 in England is like winning a trophy, you could argue that could apply here. Im not saying it does but it would be an achievement.

However, if we don't finish 3rd then what? That will have been two shocking semi final losses and blowing a substantial lead for 3rd place all in one season with the poorest Aberdeen side in a decade and no Hearts. I've seen posters say we are on track for a brilliant season. Im not sure I would call it brilliant and can't make up my mind about that, but, would certainly be a very good season with finishing 3rd, and would go a long way to making up for the semi finals.

Greenio
16-03-2021, 08:33 AM

Disagree. It was blatant stupidity and the definition of a knee jerk reaction.

But....they are well within their right to be think/say what they like on such matters

Wilson
16-03-2021, 09:03 AM
Disagree. It was blatant stupidity and the definition of a knee jerk reaction.

But....they are well within their right to be think/say what they like on such matters

It was neither on my part. The results in question just compounded the way I was already feeling about Ross. When we won we never seemed solid or convincing. Part of the reason why when we outplayed hearts in the semi we were still vulnerable. So it wasn't a knee jerk based on two or three results. I just didn't believe in the man.

Perhaps there was a bit of impatience because we weren't that bad not too long ago and have been investing in the squad - enough that we shouldn't be going backwards. And, certainly, I didn't appreciate the effect running with a smaller squad would have on the performances I was seeing. So impatience and a lack of regard rather than knee jerk and stupidity.

Ray_
16-03-2021, 10:29 AM
It was neither on my part. The results in question just compounded the way I was already feeling about Ross. When we won we never seemed solid or convincing. Part of the reason why when we outplayed hearts in the semi we were still vulnerable. So it wasn't a knee jerk based on two or three results. I just didn't believe in the man.

Perhaps there was a bit of impatience because we weren't that bad not too long ago and have been investing in the squad - enough that we shouldn't be going backwards. And, certainly, I didn't appreciate the effect running with a smaller squad would have on the performances I was seeing. So impatience and a lack of regard rather than knee jerk and stupidity.

So up until Xmas you considered our performance poor enough to empty the manager, even though we had in the past year the best results outside the ugly sisters? The other factual event is the amount of good solid seasons we have had since our promotion in 1981, not too many that would compare with JR's time in charge.

I can certainly see why people would question fans wanting our manager sacked in those circumstances.

scoopyboy
16-03-2021, 11:22 AM
Calling someone a moron is a bit OTT imo.

But I know he's a moron, Gordon is a moron :greengrin:greengrin

song and year please

Peevemor
16-03-2021, 11:24 AM
But I know he's a moron, Gordon is a moron :greengrin:greengrin

song and year please

Jilted John by Jilted John - 1978.

scoopyboy
16-03-2021, 11:26 AM
Jilted John by Jilted John - 1978.

Excellent, hope you never googled that P.

One of my favourite songs ever. Although my name is John it should be noted I have never lost a girlfriend to a Gordon:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Peevemor
16-03-2021, 11:53 AM
Excellent, hope you never googled that P.

One of my favourite songs ever. Although my name is John it should be noted I have never lost a girlfriend to a Gordon:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Didn't need to google it (not even for the year which is normally my weakest point). I remember us singing it to (at) someone calld Gordon in my 1st year at Firrhill Finishing Academy for Young Gentlemen.

cheltenhamhibee
16-03-2021, 12:36 PM
If you are having a go at me because I'm not a season ticket holder, then maybe take a minute. It's a 6-9 hours drive for me to get to Easter Road and I do it about four times a season. That's what I can afford both financially and family/work wise. With accommodation that costs me far in excess of £400 a year and I also contribute far more than £400 a year directly to Hibs through various purchases. I have no issue with people criticising poor performances, but some of the vindictive, nasty, sneering comments towards our own players and manager that I read on Facebook and twitter leave me speechless at times.

I know exactly where you are coming from, but some folk cannae seem to fathom that out, my last visit to ER cost around £350 !!! Ps that looks like a cracking wee boozer in your avatar :wink: