PDA

View Full Version : 2016 League Cup final

hibby rae
13-03-2021, 11:05 AM
Five years ago today 😬😬

I've always wondered if we would have still won the Scottish if we had won that day, or did we need the disappointment to fire us up.

Anyone else ever wondered about this?

Nicho87
13-03-2021, 11:13 AM
We were terrible that day. Fire in the belly, stars aligned.

Northernhibee
13-03-2021, 11:17 AM

TBH I just thought we were a mixture of depleted and exhausted. We had both Bartley and an ageing Kevin Thomson in midfield, who kind of cancelled each other out.

scoopyboy
13-03-2021, 11:24 AM
Five years ago today 😬😬

I've always wondered if we would have still won the Scottish if we had won that day, or did we need the disappointment to fire us up.

I have wondered and the answer I come up with is not sure it had an effect on the 21st May.

I have however convinced myself if we had knocked out Falkirk in the play offs we wouldn't have won the cup as would have had play offs with Killie either side of the final.

superfurryhibby
13-03-2021, 11:28 AM

We weren’t terrible. We were the better side and should have won that game.

Mikey
13-03-2021, 11:31 AM

Yep. After we equalised I thought there was only going to be one winner.

Since452
13-03-2021, 11:31 AM
Massive Hibs support that day

hibby rae
13-03-2021, 11:35 AM
I have wondered and the answer I come up with is not sure it had an effect on the 21st May.

I have however convinced myself if we had knocked out Falkirk in the play offs we wouldn't have won the cup as would have had play offs with Killie either side of the final.

I have also wondered that and think you may be right 😂😂

Carheenlea
13-03-2021, 11:38 AM
Five years ago today 😬😬

The bigger disappointment was the week before the Scottish Cup Final at Falkirk - absolutely sickening end to that game.

The League Cup disappointment was completely forgotten about by the time 21/5/16 came around and had no influence on the outcome of the Scottish Cup Final in my opinion.

HH81
13-03-2021, 11:38 AM
Some lady was that pissed, she was sick on me during the game. Just glad I had a change of clothes for the 4 hour drive home.

Think they scored last minute too or pretty close to the end after we had bossed it 2nd half.

Billy Whizz
13-03-2021, 11:43 AM
Stubbs has to take a big responsibility for the defeat
He took the players to La Manga the week before the game
They were due back into Scotland late on the Friday night, think into Prestwick airport

Due to the plane being late, and getting bus home, a lot of the players didn’t get to their beds until 4am, the day before the game

B.H.F.C
13-03-2021, 11:45 AM

Yep, that’s what I’ve always thought as well.

We blew that Cup Final though. The two goals we gave away were shockers.

scoopyboy
13-03-2021, 11:50 AM
Yep, that’s what I’ve always thought as well.

We blew that Cup Final though. The two goals we gave away were shockers.

They were shockers and it was a glorious chance to win a cup.

Imagine if we hadn't won the Scottish Cup though, not so sure in hindsight I could have handled that.

Diclonius
13-03-2021, 11:51 AM
I'll never forget County's tactics for that game - defend, hack and waste time at every opportunity. It was like they, not us, were the Championship club.

brog
13-03-2021, 11:52 AM
They were due back into Scotland late on the Friday night, think into Prestwick airport

Due to the plane being late, and getting bus home, a lot of the players didn’t get to their beds until 4am, the day before the game

That's some stretch Billy. Presumably the Board sanctioned the trip, admin made the travel arrangements and they were approved by Dempster/Board. We dominated the game and should have won, that's it for me.

Pagan Hibernia
13-03-2021, 11:54 AM
It was a huge opportunity for a historic cup double. I still regret that tbh (only a tiny bit, 21st May was really all that mattered)

marinello59
13-03-2021, 11:55 AM
I’m convinced that the league cup final defeat coupled with the play off disappointment meant the players took to the field against Rangers with an extra layer of determination to have something to show for the season. When they walked out of the Hamden tunnel that day our guys looked much more confident than the Rangers players. You could feel it amongst the support as well, there was something different that day to any other Final I’ve been at.

Hiber-nation
13-03-2021, 12:13 PM
That's some stretch Billy. Presumably the Board sanctioned the trip, admin made the travel arrangements and they were approved by Dempster/Board. We dominated the game and should have won, that's it for me.

Agree. That was the best side Ross County have ever had and probably ever will have. The lad Schalk was a right handful. But we outplayed them and should have won. The goals we conceded were awful.

Nicho87
13-03-2021, 12:27 PM
I lost my ticket during walk from pub to stadium.

Had to walk/jog round to ticket office on main stand and buy a replacement, woman said if it was a sell out she wouldn’t have allowed me entry. Still think if I showed her email of purchase she could have done something.

Jones28
13-03-2021, 12:31 PM
Absolutely tremendous day until the football started.

I even missed our goal cos I was having a piss.

AFKA5814_Hibs
13-03-2021, 12:35 PM
My thought has always been that with the SC replay against ICT 3 days after the Final, I'm not sure the players would been as focused on that game had we just won a cup the weekend before. Not to mention one or two players may have went out for a few drinks on the Sunday had we won, not ideal preparation for a trip to Inverness 3 days later.

Northernhibee
13-03-2021, 12:36 PM
Tbf the defeat in this made the story of our SC win all the more Hollywood.

hibbysam
13-03-2021, 12:37 PM
My thought has always been that with the SC replay against ICT 3 days after the Final, I'm not sure the players would been as focused on that game had we just won a cup the weekend before. Not to mention one or two players may have went out for a few drinks on the Sunday had we won, not ideal preparation for a trip to Inverness 3 days later.

Would that have been any different from our team being absolutely shattered mentally from a defeat? I’d have thought it’s easier for adrenaline getting you through when on a high than trying to pick yourself up from a low, hence why I still see that game in Inverness as absolutely miraculous!

Newry Hibs
13-03-2021, 12:41 PM
Would that have been any different from our team being absolutely shattered mentally from a defeat? I’d have thought it’s easier for adrenaline getting you through when on a high than trying to pick yourself up from a low, hence why I still see that game in Inverness as absolutely miraculous!

I agree. No way we were going to win in inverness after losing the final.

scoopyboy
13-03-2021, 01:22 PM
I agree. No way we were going to win in inverness after losing the final.

Dinnae tell me we got beat!!!!!

California-Hibs
13-03-2021, 01:41 PM
Flew all the way over from California for that one, as we were in the thick of buying a new house, took some convincing to talk the wife into allowing me to go. Needless to say I was swifty told the answer when another final came 2 months later.....a week before we were due to close on the house.

Ah, if only there was a crystal ball and I chose the right one 😫 (or threatened divorce and flew anyway!! 😅) Needless to say, Ross County can **** right off!

Newry Hibs
13-03-2021, 02:49 PM
I had to sit on the flight back next to a county fan!

GRA
13-03-2021, 03:10 PM
Three things I remember about that game.

1-Should have won it, on top for the majority of the game
2-Irvine was their stand out player, bossed McGinn in midfield
3-The sickening way we lost that game spurred us on to beat ICT a few days later, similar to how we beat the Huns after the Falkirk play off.

Green Man
13-03-2021, 04:26 PM
Three things I remember about that game.

1-Should have won it, on top for the majority of the game
2-Irvine was their stand out player, bossed McGinn in midfield
3-The sickening way we lost that game spurred us on to beat ICT a few days later, similar to how we beat the Huns after the Falkirk play off.

Those are my memories as well, at the end I just screamed in rage and frustration. I did come away with a very night opinion of Irvine though, and it was that performance that made me happy that we signed him.

G B Young
15-03-2021, 03:24 PM

Agreed. It was a tight game but once we equalised I couldn't see us losing.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2021, 03:40 PM
When you look at the players we had missing that day I think we gave a good account of ourselves and were unlucky not to win the game. We were missing Hanlon, McGeouch and Fyvie. All of whom would have started and likely positively influenced the game.

Ross County finished in the top 6 of the Premiership that season. They were no mugs.

JimBHibees
15-03-2021, 03:41 PM

Wow that is a shocker. Surely you want them back home Friday late morning at latest to allow for proper rest. Didn't realise that interesting.

JimBHibees
15-03-2021, 03:42 PM

Thought we were the better team but gave away two terrible goals.

JimBHibees
15-03-2021, 03:46 PM

Agree with that. Think we would have been exhausted

Hibernia&Alba
15-03-2021, 04:02 PM
It was a hard defeat to take. We should have won, but we somehow managed to throw it away.

mal
15-03-2021, 04:07 PM

The match stats very much bear that out: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35738631

I remember being disappointed when it looked as if we were going into extra time because we had so many important games coming up and we totally deserved to win in 90 minutes ... Then the sucker punch.

3pm
15-03-2021, 04:19 PM
The next game after that cup final was one of the best wins in our history IMO. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
15-03-2021, 04:33 PM
The next game after that cup final was one of the best wins in our history IMO. :greengrin

Sure was, hanging on at the end though

B.H.F.C
15-03-2021, 04:47 PM
Sure was, hanging on at the end though

Aye, having missed about 8 clear cut chances on the break in the last 15 minutes!

Billy Whizz
15-03-2021, 04:50 PM
Aye, having missed about 8 clear cut chances on the break in the last 15 minutes!

JC and Stokesy

Pretty Boy
15-03-2021, 04:55 PM

The obvious nerves of Virtanen when he came on probably sealed the deal that another keeper would be needed for the semi final.

Call it fate.

The Baldmans Comb
15-03-2021, 04:58 PM

That sounds ridicuously bad planning by Hibs.

Arriving home on the Friday night and then straight to Hampden the very next day🤔.

It doesn't really sound really plausible to be honest as any sort of fog, air traffic problems, mechanical issues or just very major delays and the team wouldn't have shown up at all.

Arriving back very late Thursday I could understand but less so Friday night/Saturday morning.

Sir David Gray
15-03-2021, 05:02 PM
I'll admit to being slightly relieved at the fact we didn't win this one.

I remember being gutted at realising I couldn't make the final as I headed back to the car after the semi final win over St Johnstone as I was booked to go on holiday to Gran Canaria that day.

The plane landed just after we scored and I rushed back to the hotel to dump our bags and head to the bar round the corner. I saw the last 15 minutes and my brother's Jambo pal turned up just before Ross County scored the winner.

Although it was a crap day at least I could drown my sorrows in the sun and consoled myself at the thought that I didn't need to wait for hours to get out of the Hampden car park.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2021, 05:06 PM
That sounds ridicuously bad planning by Hibs.

Arriving home on the Friday night and then straight to Hampden the very next day🤔.

It doesn't really sound really plausible to be honest as any sort of fog, air traffic problems, mechanical issues or just very major delays and the team wouldn't have shown up at all.

Arriving back very late Thursday I could understand but less so Friday night/Saturday morning.

Surely the LC final would have been a Sunday so even arriving late on Friday night would have given a full day and night buffer zone?

Stevie Reid
15-03-2021, 05:07 PM
We played well enough that day, but gave away two awful goals. My memory of the second one (though I may be wrong and have no wish to look at any highlights) was that we were a bit naive with the amount of players we pushed on trying to win it late on, and got caught out really exposed at the back, with a simple ball in behind David Gray. Was a crazy day for Fontaine, think he was involved in both of their goals, but scored a superb equaliser and then almost pulled us level with an amazing overhead effort in the last minute.

Maybe our hectic schedule did work against us that day, but it likely helped us out in the Scottish Cup Final. We continued playing for weeks after the league finished, think Rangers had three weeks without a game - which showed in the final. We were obviously superb that day as well though.

Regardless, the moment that final whistle blew on 21 May, it was worth every single bit of the considerable amount of pain that I'd experienced watching Hibs :greengrin

CloudSquall
15-03-2021, 05:08 PM
The final showed up our problems that season, if a team sat back with two banks of 4, 9 times out of 10 we had no ****ing clue how to break it down.

shamo9
15-03-2021, 05:09 PM
Surely the LC final would have been a Sunday so even arriving late on Friday night would have given a full day and night buffer zone?

You're correct, the final was on a Sunday.

JimBHibees
15-03-2021, 05:12 PM

Would still have been tiredness from the travel does seem too tight schedule to me even if game on the Sunday.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2021, 05:13 PM
Would still have been tiredness from the travel does seem too tight schedule to me even if game on the Sunday.

I agree it does seem a quick turnaround but I don't think there was ever any chance of us not making the game at all.

Billy Whizz
15-03-2021, 05:17 PM
I agree it does seem a quick turnaround but I don't think there was ever any chance of us not making the game at all.

I should have said La Cala and not La Manga on my post

15-03-2021, 05:21 PM

That win at ICT was class. Massive hibs support due to people still being in the country for the final, Johnny foxes was mental that night.

JimBHibees
15-03-2021, 05:21 PM

Agree more from a preparation perspective. Players would have been well stressed getting to bed at 4 in the morning the day before a national final imo.

brog
15-03-2021, 06:39 PM

Tiredness after a flight from Spain? It's quicker than a drive to Dingwall!

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-03-2021, 06:53 PM
Agreed. It was a tight game but once we equalised I couldn't see us losing.

Were you not at Murrayfield that day? 🤔

JimBHibees
15-03-2021, 07:05 PM
Were you not at Murrayfield that day? 🤔

:greengrin

JimBHibees
15-03-2021, 07:08 PM
Tiredness after a flight from Spain? It's quicker than a drive to Dingwall!

Bus to airport hanging about airport plane late bus from prestwick getting to bed at 4am. Hardly ideal prep.