PDA

View Full Version : Shawfield

Keith_M
11-03-2021, 05:14 PM
I passed the stadium earlier and boy what a dump it is now. You could see inside and the whole thing is literally falling apart.

Anyway, it got me wondering when Hibs last played at Shawfield against Clyde. I have a vague recollection we played them in the Cup in the early 80s, but I'm not really sure.

Does anybody know when we last played there?

Or were you ever at a Hibs game at Shawfield?

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-03-2021, 05:19 PM
Last time I was there was for Speedway but, I do vaguely remember attending a Hibs game there around the time you mentioned, possibly slightly later.

berwickhibee
11-03-2021, 05:23 PM
We won 2-0 in the cup on a night game, was it a Monday?? Willie Miller scored

Pretty Boy
11-03-2021, 05:34 PM
I was last through for the dogs 5 or 6 years back. My then girlfriend asked if it would be similar to the horse racing at York and Ascot I had taken her to. I think the walk from Dalmarnock station to the stadium told her I had lied when I said yes.

The bar and indoor area isn't actually too bad but the rest of the place is falling to pieces.

I don't think I ever went to a football match there but I could be wrong.

Keith_M
11-03-2021, 05:38 PM
Last time I was there was for Speedway but, I do vaguely remember attending a Hibs game there around the time you mentioned, possibly slightly later.

Cheers guys.

I can't for the life of me remember which season it was, but was definitely the early to mid-80s.

green with envy
11-03-2021, 05:49 PM

I thought it was 3-0 but I'm happy to stand corrected and yes Willie Miller did indeed score.

houstonhibbee
11-03-2021, 05:52 PM
I passed the stadium earlier and boy what a dump it is now. You could see inside and the whole thing is literally falling apart.

Anyway, it got me wondering when Hibs last played at Shawfield against Clyde. I have a vague recollection we played them in the Cup in the early 80s, but I'm not really sure.

Or were you ever at a Hibs game at Shawfield?

Went to a league game there around 1971. We lost 2-1

green.oracle
11-03-2021, 05:55 PM

That game was played at Firhill.

The last time Hibs and Clyde were in the same division was 1974/75. I saw Hibs play at shawfield several times in the late 60's up to 74/75. It was a terrible ground to watch football because of the greyhound track and silly shape of the ground.

Clyde moved out of shawfield in 1986 and shared a ground with Partick until 1991 (I think) then shared with Hamilton until broadwood was ready in 1994.

Of the top of my head, Hibs have had away cup ties versus Clyde at Firhill (1991 in scottish cup) and at Broadwood (1999 in league cup 2-2 and won 5-4 on penalties).

GGTTH

CMurdoch
11-03-2021, 06:05 PM
I was last through for the dogs 5 or 6 years back. My then girlfriend asked if it would be similar to the horse racing at York and Ascot I had taken her to. I think the walk from Dalmarnock station to the stadium told her I had lied when I said yes.

The bar and indoor area isn't actually too bad but the rest of the place is falling to pieces.

:greengrin:greengrin ya big smoothie

Iggy Pope
11-03-2021, 06:12 PM
We last played at Shawfield in a LC tie in 1980.
2-0 win.
The one and only time I’ve ever climbed into a game. Through a broken skylight in the roof of the bogs!

Programme here.

https://i.ibb.co/KsL6zYR/B62080-C4-78-CF-4912-8-F9-B-ED2-F98-C3-B35-F.jpg

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-03-2021, 06:16 PM
2-0 win.
The one and only time I’ve ever climbed into a game. Through a broken skylight in the roof of the bogs!

Programme here.

In that case I haven't attended a Hibs game there. 🤔

Cat Stanton
11-03-2021, 06:17 PM
I have the vaguest of vague memories of being at a 2-0 win there in late 70s/early 80s. Ally McLeod played and possibly scored. I think Arthur Duncan was still playing. May actually have been very early '80s after we'd been relegated?

In any case that's 40 years ago and it was already a dump then.

Cat Stanton
11-03-2021, 06:23 PM
I have the vaguest of vague memories of being at a 2-0 win there in late 70s/early 80s. Ally McLeod played and possibly scored. I think Arthur Duncan was still playing. May actually have been very early '80s after we'd been relegated?

A quick google tells me I was right. September 1980 (1980/81 season after being relegated in 1979/80), 2-0, with goals by Ally McLeod and Gordon Rae in the League Cup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980%E2%80%9381_Hibernian_F.C._season

That's amazing. Not the result, but that I remembered it. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast this morning etc etc

WoreTheGreen
11-03-2021, 06:25 PM

Any idea our last game at Clydebank I’ think it was called killbowie

Pretty Boy
11-03-2021, 06:59 PM
Any idea our last game at Clydebank I’ think it was called killbowie

I remember a Scottish Cup tie at Kilbowie in the early 90s. Sure we won 5-1. There was a huge crowd there (relative to the size of the ground).

We played them in the adventure season but they were ground sharing at Boghead by then. We lost 2-0 to break a long unbeaten streak.

jingler1954
11-03-2021, 07:13 PM
I used to race greyhounds there in the early 80's. Just saying like.

JimBHibees
11-03-2021, 07:26 PM
I remember a Scottish Cup tie at Kilbowie in the early 90s. Sure we won 5-1. There was a huge crowd there (relative to the size of the ground).

We played them in the adventure season but they were ground sharing at Boghead by then. We lost 2-0 to break a long unbeaten streak.

Can remember us getting knocked out Scottish 1 0 at Kilbowie. Huge Hibs support 85 or 86 I think.

Billy Whizz
11-03-2021, 07:28 PM
Can remember us getting knocked out Scottish 1 0 at Kilbowie. Huge Hibs support 85 or 86 I think.

I was at that game too, was it Larnach who scored for the Bankies?

Killiehibbie
11-03-2021, 07:29 PM

i witnessed 'Fearless' Freddie knock back bets as small as £20 on dogs that he just didn't want to lay.

Helensburghhibs
11-03-2021, 07:49 PM
I used to race greyhounds there in the early 80's. Just saying like.

Did you manage to keep up with them?

Killiehibbie
11-03-2021, 07:51 PM
Did you manage to keep up with them?

He'd beat some of the dogs I backed.

scotia44
11-03-2021, 07:52 PM
i witnessed 'Fearless' Freddie knock back bets as small as £20 on dogs that he just didn't want to lay.

That was track politics mate Billy King owned
the track and ran 2 books
Freddie would take a chunky bet away from the
eyes of King Billy

Helensburghhibs
11-03-2021, 07:53 PM
He'd beat some of the dogs I backed.

😄

blackpoolhibs
11-03-2021, 07:55 PM

That's not a very big support?

eastterrace
11-03-2021, 08:06 PM

Or were you ever at a Hibs game at Shawfield?saw hibs playing there back in late sixties. We had cormack stanton Stevenson players like that in the team and Clyde beat us 3-0 but saying that Clyde were pretty decent back then.

Killiehibbie
11-03-2021, 08:31 PM
That was track politics mate Billy King owned
the track and ran 2 books
Freddie would take a chunky bet away from the
eyes of King Billy

I remember a bookie got barred for having his own opinion and opening up before that ****.

Allant1981
11-03-2021, 08:39 PM
Never seen a football game there but up until last year I'd be at the racing every other week, the place is a bit of a dump now

ekhibee
11-03-2021, 08:52 PM
I was at the dogs there about 4 years ago, it was a really good night out, used to get some good grub there as well.

andudare2
11-03-2021, 09:38 PM
We won 2-0 in the cup on a night game, was it a Monday?? Willie Miller scoredSure the cup tie where Willie Miller scored was at Firhill.

Brightside
11-03-2021, 09:39 PM
I used to have a dog that ran there a lot. Sport is dead now unfortunately

Gloucester Hibs
12-03-2021, 05:45 AM

I was at the 5-1 game, just had a google and there were 7,350 there! Remember being excited as my Dad told me it was an all-seater stadium.

Alfiembra
12-03-2021, 06:38 AM
My dad was a Clyde supporter when he was younger, and took me to Shawfield for a game against Hibs in the early 70s don’t remember the score but we lost I remember that much. Also remember getting handed a post card from a friend of my dad’s at the ground with a picture of the Clyde SC winning team of 1958 didn’t realise until later that they had also beaten us in the final a game we were odds on favourites to win think Clyde also got relegated the same season. This must have been all around the time that Harry Hood played for them who was later signed by Celtic.

I was at that game too, was it Larnach who scored for the Bankies?

I used to work beside Mike Larnach after he retired from football, a really nice guy, he was a draffy, met him in the ICI plant in Grangemouth. He and Davie Cooper gave Rangers a torrid time in the League Cup, took Rangers 4 games to get past them which earned Cooper his move to Rangers.

Keith_M
12-03-2021, 08:14 AM
2-0 win.

Programme here.

That looks like the one, Iggy,

Thanks!

:aok:

Keith_M
12-03-2021, 08:21 AM

That's not a very big support?

That took me a while but I finally got that, G.

:greengrin

Ringothedog
12-03-2021, 08:23 AM
My dad was a Clyde supporter when he was younger, and took me to Shawfield for a game against Hibs in the early 70s don’t remember the score but we lost I remember that much. Also remember getting handed a post card from a friend of my dad’s at the ground with a picture of the Clyde SC winning team of 1958 didn’t realise until later that they had also beaten us in the final a game we were odds on favourites to win think Clyde also got relegated the same season. This must have been all around the time that Harry Hood played for them who was later signed by Celtic.

I used to work beside Mike Larnach after he retired from football, a really nice guy, he was a draffy, met him in the ICI plant in Grangemouth. He and Davie Cooper gave Rangers a torrid time in the League Cup, took Rangers 4 games to get past them which earned Cooper his move to Rangers.
Clyde were favourites to win the final, they finished 4th that season to our 9th. They had also beaten us home and away in the league. There were 98000 at the final

Keith_M
12-03-2021, 08:32 AM
Clyde were favourites to win the final, they finished 4th that season to our 9th. They had also beaten us home and away in the league. There were 98000 at the final

Hibs also had a player injured and there were no substitutes at the time, so effectively played a large part of the game with ten men.

Hillsidehibby
12-03-2021, 08:46 AM

I don’t think the Harry Hood that signed for Celtic was the one that played in that final. It may have been his father as Harry didn’t sign for Clyde until 1962.
I have one memory of Shawfield in the early 70’s when someone fell through the asbestos roof right beside me!
It was quite low and the guy just got up, dusted himself off and walked away. No doubt chuffed that he got in for free!

H18 SFR
12-03-2021, 09:16 AM
2-0 win.

Programme here.

Was it the late 1980's and a young Willie Miller scored for us?

I was right, 28th January, 1991, scorers were Houchen and Miller. I remember this game.

Greenbeard
12-03-2021, 09:17 AM
I used to have a dog that ran there a lot. Sport is dead now unfortunately
Odd name for your dog.

number9dream
12-03-2021, 09:29 AM

That was the day of my 18th birthday. And the van we were in broke down on the way back...

Brizo
12-03-2021, 02:23 PM

Kilbowie all-seater stadium :greengrin

I was at that game and remember it vaguely having gotten absolutely blootered in some big wild west style boozer up past the ground.

Re Harry Haddock his laddie was my mates parish priest out in the badlands of Salisbury in Lanarkshire.

Roxyhibee
12-03-2021, 02:54 PM
Went twice in the very late 60’s and very early 70’s, (pre Tornadoes) and pretty sure saw Hibs beat both times. Remember Dom Sullivan creating a bit of havoc down the wing and he and the unique little stadium set up have stuck firmly in my memory.

Iggy Pope
12-03-2021, 05:48 PM
Was it the late 1980's and a young Willie Miller scored for us?

I was right, 28th January, 1991, scorers were Houchen and Miller. I remember this game.

It was 1980 the dates on the programme. They were long gone from Shawfield by 1991.
The game you’re talking of was at Firhill.

H18 SFR
12-03-2021, 06:14 PM
It was 1980 the dates on the programme. They were long gone from Shawfield by 1991.
The game you’re talking of was at Firhill.

👍👍👍

weecounty hibby
12-03-2021, 06:32 PM
Never saw Hibs there but did go to a Clyde v Alloa match there about 1984. No idea of the score. Did also go to the greyhounds there once and it was an excellent night out, that must be closed to 30 years ago as well.

andudare2
12-03-2021, 09:02 PM
Never saw Hibs there but did go to a Clyde v Alloa match there about 1984. No idea of the score. Did also go to the greyhounds there once and it was an excellent night out, that must be closed to 30 years ago as well.was at shawfield dogs about 14 years ago as part of the son in law,s stag day,Celtic Park,Dugs then places for more falling down juice until early hours back in Edinburgh. No idea if Shawfield dogs is still on go but was lot less than 30 years m8@

weecounty hibby
12-03-2021, 09:12 PM
was at shawfield dogs about 14 years ago as part of the son in law,s stag day,Celtic Park,Dugs then places for more falling down juice until early hours back in Edinburgh. No idea if Shawfield dogs is still on go but was lot less than 30 years m8@
Yeah, typo due to fingers like coos tits! Should have read that I was at the track close to 30 years ago

majorhibs
12-03-2021, 10:29 PM
2-0 win.

Programme here.

Sounds like ye missed yersel in the 70’s then! Sell £2 worth pontoons at school during the week, free travel on supporters bus ae yer choice, then, only grounds in Scotland ye couldnae climb intae were greyskull & darkheid.

Superfurry72
12-03-2021, 11:33 PM
That was the day of my 18th birthday. And the van we were in broke down on the way back...

It was 1987 and I think it was on my birthday too - are you also a Valentine? Stuart Gordon scored the winner for Clydebank. Hearts knocked Celtic out the same day, making the cup Old Firm-free (Rangers got beat at home by Hamilton in the previous round).

It ended up being St Mirren’s year.

The Harp
12-03-2021, 11:58 PM
My first visit to Shawfield was in '63 just after I'd joined the St Giles branch and travelled to most Hibs away games until '70. Must've been there around half a dozen times in that period, with mixed fortunes results-wise.
It wasn't much of a ground but at least we never had any bother from the home fans there, or when we visited Cathkin.

Renfrew_Hibby
13-03-2021, 06:23 AM
Do Clyde not have a long term goal to move back to Shawfield? I was working in the east end of Glasgow a couple of years back and would pass the place daily.
Came across a few Clyde fans actually, which suprised me, but none of them went to Cumberland, in fact one old guy said he had been a regular for years at Shawfield but hadn't made the trip to Broadwood in about 20 years!
If they could move back and redevelope the place they could potentially be on a level with say Partick.
It would be an interesting project for someone to get stuck into.

Keith_M
13-03-2021, 09:43 AM
Yeah, typo due to fingers like coos tits! Should have read that I was at the track close to 30 years ago

I thought you said they were webbed, or was that jist your toes?

:dunno:

Iggy Pope
13-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Sounds like ye missed yersel in the 70’s then! Sell £2 worth pontoons at school during the week, free travel on supporters bus ae yer choice, then, only grounds in Scotland ye couldnae climb intae were greyskull & darkheid.

Seen plenty grounds in the 70s on Hawkhill service and sold plenty tickets for my travel too.
Just paid my way I suppose.
I was working by the time I climbed into this one......