PDA

View Full Version : We’re Probably Not Going To Win Another Game This Season...

Dashing Bob S
06-03-2021, 04:51 PM
...and still come third.

We’re a bit of a joke but so is Scottish football.

G B Young
06-03-2021, 05:01 PM
On current evidence it does look as though we'll have to rely on Aberdeen remaining even worse than us to stay third as it's hard to see where a win or even a draw is coming from.

Start slow and seemingly bereft of a game plan, lose a goal and then play out the rest of the game without ever really looking like scoring. That appears to be our tactics at present.

Pagan Hibernia
06-03-2021, 05:03 PM
We got lucky today that Aberdeen are as goal shy as us.

Heckys Wheel
06-03-2021, 05:04 PM
Remember when our only problem was we couldn’t win the big games? 😓

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2021, 05:07 PM
2 losses and its hard to see where a win is coming from :faf: I mean seriously, I despair at the exaggeration on here soemtimes.

4 wins, 2 losses in last 6. So basically, if we keep up our form from last 6 games we get 3rd by miles. 2 rough results, no doubt. In a season with dozens of rough and strange results. We win the next two and there will be threads about finishing second next season and ''could we beat an English side over 2 legs in Europe'' and such.

Franck Stanton
06-03-2021, 05:08 PM
You don't really believe this DBS, I know we are all P ee'd off with the team just now but that comment s way ott.

Brightside
06-03-2021, 05:09 PM
4 wins on the bounce, then 2 defeats. relegation form.

Smartie
06-03-2021, 05:15 PM
2 losses and its hard to see where a win is coming from :faf: I mean seriously, I despair at the exaggeration on here soemtimes.

4 wins, 2 losses in last 6. So basically, if we keep up our form from last 6 games we get 3rd by miles. 2 rough results, no doubt. In a season with dozens of rough and strange results. We win the next two and there will be threads about finishing second next season and ''could we beat an English side over 2 legs in Europe'' and such.

It's all about scraping results from here but I'd be kidding if I had any confidence in our ability to do it.

When we win we're normally just about as awful as when we lose.

And the "after losing the first goal" business is getting ridiculous.

It's a mystery to me how we've found ourselves in the position we have because far better Hibs teams than this one have been much lower in the league.

We've got a reasonable ability to defend and see out wins against crap, uninspiring teams of very limited talent so we're fine of we can nick a goal first in most games. That's about all I can put it down to.

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2021, 05:21 PM
It's all about scraping results from here but I'd be kidding if I had any confidence in our ability to do it.

It's a mystery to me how we've found ourselves in the position we have because far better Hibs teams than this one have been much lower in the league.

We've got a reasonable ability to defend and see out wins against crap, uninspiring teams of very limited talent so we're fine of we can nick a goal first in most games. That's about all I can put it down to.

Thats just completely untrue. You actually don't see a difference between wins like Livi away, Motherwell away, St Mirren away, Aberdeen at home etc vs really bad results or? Or even differencees between close games and real shockers?

Yes, but on the other hand, scoring the first goal is game over in our favour.

We're not some finished article but folk on here are way OTT. We have a massive chance to get into the european groupstages, which financially could be a massive gamechanger and folk are obsessed with not only putting down the team but all the efforts they have made to put us in this position.

Trust me, over 38 games, there is nothing lucky about where a team finishes. If we get 3rd its a great achievement and we very much deserve it.

G B Young
06-03-2021, 05:21 PM

No question there can be an over-reaction after a bad result but there's also no denying we've been deeply underwhelming in the last two games and it's legitimate to ask why we would put in such listless displays when you'd assume the players would be well up for securing third spot.

Nobody watching those displays will have seen anything to suggest we'll do anything other than lose again next week. Delighted to be proved wrong but at present I'm at a loss to understand what our tactics are.

Lendo
06-03-2021, 05:23 PM
I never know whether to take these threads seriously or not. Trolling or bedwetting?

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2021, 05:24 PM
No question there can be an over-reaction after a bad result but there's also no denying we've been deeply underwhelming in the last two games and it's legitimate to ask why we would put in such listless displays when you'd assume the players would be well up for securing third spot.

Nobody watching those displays will have seen anything to suggest we'll do anything other than lose again next week. Delighted to be proved wrong but at present I'm at a loss to understand what our tactics are.

I can answer it easily. No amount of being up for a game, being well prepared, having higher wages, better players etc. None of it guarentees anything. The best teams lose games, the worst teams win games.

Nobody watching us lose to Livi and Ross County would say we'll win 4 on the bounce and take control of 3rd. Except we did.

flash
06-03-2021, 05:24 PM
...and still come third.

We’re a bit of a joke but so is Scottish football.

Not sure what this post was intended to achieve.

Franck Stanton
06-03-2021, 05:26 PM
I never know whether to take these threads seriously or not. Trolling or bedwetting?

Probably just anger/ frustration. We've all been there. Understandable at present.

basehibby
06-03-2021, 05:31 PM
I know DBS is being tongue in cheek but I do think we'll get back to winning ways soon - in fact, as it goes, I fancy us to beat Livi next week because their form has taken a nosedive (touching wood and crossing everything here).

We all get carried away with a few good results but the fact is that ALL teams - not just ours - go through dips as well as peaks in form - and we are where we are because we have had more peaks and less dips than the teams below us. I don't think that's an accident, but because we do have more quality in our squad than most and because Ross has managed us well enough over the piece to make that count.

Other teams and their managers also have their weaknesses and blind spots and I'm hopeful we'll take advantage of them in the coming weeks to rack up some more wins - contrary to DBS' prediction I think we're going to need them to finish 3rd.

Wheat Hound
06-03-2021, 05:35 PM
Saw a post on twitter: We've lost 9 league games and scored in NONE of them. That's a clear pattern where we cannot get even a foothold in a game where we go behind. Collectively weak mentality.

Heckys Wheel
06-03-2021, 05:35 PM
I know DBS is being tongue in cheek but I do think we'll get back to winning ways soon - in fact, as it goes, I fancy us to beat Livi next week because their form has taken a nosedive (touching wood and crossing everything here).

We all get carried away with a few good results but the fact is that ALL teams - not just ours - go through dips as well as peaks in form - and we are where we are because we have had more peaks and less dips than the teams below us. I don't think that's an accident, but because we do have more quality in our squad than most and because Ross has managed us well enough over the piece to make that count.

Other teams and their managers also have their weaknesses and blind spots and I'm hopeful we'll take advantage of them in the coming weeks to rack up some more wins - contrary to DBS' prediction I think we're going to need them to finish 3rd.

There’s not a chance in hell we’ll beat Livi next week.

06-03-2021, 05:37 PM

That’s just not true though is it

Unseen work
06-03-2021, 05:40 PM
They key to winning games this season without fans is scoring first.

If you’re ahead then most teams sit back and counter which is proving very difficult to score against for every time.

It begs the question why some of our players start the game so so slow and off the pace? Complacent?

Sir David Gray
06-03-2021, 05:41 PM

Probably because we're playing Ross County.

flash
06-03-2021, 05:51 PM
Worth remembering, notwithstanding that we are very inconsistent, that we are still above all these teams that are so much better than us.

Heckys Wheel
06-03-2021, 05:56 PM

Probably.

blackpoolhibs
06-03-2021, 07:19 PM
When is it that Livi are due to finish above us?

JohnM1875
06-03-2021, 07:19 PM

😂👍

hibbysam
06-03-2021, 07:21 PM
When is it that Livi are due to finish above us?

About 2 months ago I think. 12 clear plus goal difference in the race for Europe with only 7 games to go.

madhatter
06-03-2021, 07:37 PM
Saw a post on twitter: We've lost 9 league games and scored in NONE of them. That's a clear pattern where we cannot get even a foothold in a game where we go behind. Collectively weak mentality.

Other pattern is we often start games very poorly. We are a counter attack team who have, thankfully, been on the right side of things this season. If teams score before us they know they can sit in and just watch us play as we are very unlikely to score.

Can't wait until this season is over. We will need a fairly large personnel change in the summer. Jack Ross has been fortunate this season that no fans have been in the stadium. Our style of play will drive fans away anyway. Rightly or wrongly, a lot of Hibs support want to see a certain style of play.

Unseen work
06-03-2021, 07:49 PM
We’ll beat County and Livi before the split.

In the split we will beat St Mirren, Livingston and Aberdeen. Draw with Rangers and lose to Celtic.

Killiehibbie
06-03-2021, 07:53 PM

What about the week after?

Onion
06-03-2021, 08:06 PM
Remember when our only problem was we couldn’t win the big games? 😓

:greengrin JR has swapped that out for "can't win games when we lose the first goal".

IberianHibernian
06-03-2021, 08:10 PM
Worth remembering, notwithstanding that we are very inconsistent, that we are still above all these teams that are so much better than us.I can`t see even one post suggesting teams below us are better than us . More the opposite - fans thinking we have a superior squad so should be showing it more often . Not necessarily my opinion - league position shows we have a better squad than a lot of the teams which have beaten us this season though there have been a lot of defeats like today`s this season plus the 2 cup defeats against supposedly inferior teams . Reality is that Hibs and Aberdeen have enough extra income to sign a slightly better squad than other teams in division but not to sign players who really guarantee winning most matches against other non OF rivals . Are the 3 ex Hibs players who played against us today any worse than who we had playing ? Most would probably say Doig is better than Booth but Booth is still good for our division and the other two ex Hibbies certainly contributed more than our midfielders did - many would say they left us because they weren`t good enough for us but it`s very difficult to find better players ( better technically but also fitness and attitude wise ) .

Onion
06-03-2021, 08:11 PM

Defeatist attitude. No leaders on the pitch, and a manager who can't change things.

Just as well we're being chased by a team that's scored 3 goals in 9 games.

Brightside
06-03-2021, 08:12 PM
Fans are desperate to pull out stats when we are pish. 4 wins on the trot. Site is dead. Now.....we are utter pish.

hibbysam
06-03-2021, 08:22 PM
Defeatist attitude. No leaders on the pitch, and a manager who can't change things.

They’ve only scored 1 in 9.

IberianHibernian
06-03-2021, 08:32 PM
Great that in March we`re 3rd in a year in which 3rd could bring important benefits financially at least things could certainly be a lot worse . Hopefully more entertainment next season whatever league position we`re in .

CloudSquall
06-03-2021, 09:15 PM
I think we'll end up with 3rd place like we did under Tony Mowbray when we went into the split with a 6 point advantage which by the end of the season was an advantage of one goal.

Hibernia&Alba
06-03-2021, 09:59 PM

I wasn't aware of this. It's a terrible record to have; one that smacks of a team with fragile confidence.

Sir David Gray
06-03-2021, 10:23 PM
I wasn't aware of this. It's a terrible record to have; one that smacks of a team with fragile confidence.

Yes I believe we're the only team in the league that hasn't scored in a single defeat so far this season.

Percy Vere
06-03-2021, 10:49 PM

Well said mate. The negativity of Hibs fans and the ability of some to turn on the team at the drop of a hat drives me to distraction. Of course it’s disappointing but this is Hibs, you’d think folk would twig that we never take the easy route. Teams misfiring a bit but get behind them instead of sniping and crazy comments about never winning again. Have a little faith in your team and manager GGTTH

Allez Hibs
06-03-2021, 10:51 PM
Well said mate. The negativity of Hibs fans and the ability of some to turn on the team at the drop of a hat drives me to distraction. Of course it’s disappointing but this is Hibs, you’d think folk would twig that we never take the easy route. Teams misfiring a bit but get behind them instead of sniping and crazy comments about never winning again. Have a little faith in your team and manager GGTTH

It has been a difficult and frustrating season to be fair.

Percy Vere
06-03-2021, 10:54 PM

What a bunch. The irony if your statement might be lost in you but it’s not on me. You really think the team goes out with a defeatist attitude and that JR has no clue. We’re third in the division and not long ago won 4 in a row. All teams have barren spells, get over your own defeatist attitude and support your team.

Percy Vere
06-03-2021, 10:54 PM

Tommy75
06-03-2021, 11:17 PM
It has been a difficult and frustrating season to be fair.

Every season I have followed Hibs has been difficult and frustrating. Over the course of a season we will always draw/lose games we expect to win.

TelaStella
06-03-2021, 11:44 PM

I don’t wholly disagree with you but the notion of “this is Hibs” is one I’ve heard too much before and in particular this season. Tired of it. Hibs being ‘Hibs’ -“disappointing” as you called it isn’t a good enough excuse anymore for results like today, last week or the two semi’s we have had to endure this season. By all means praise be due when we’re winning and performing but criticism fairly comes when things go like they have today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
07-03-2021, 12:49 AM
Not sure what this post was intended to achieve.

Next time I’ll set a series of goals for a post so that we can measure whether or not they’ve been achieved.

It simply an impressionistic reaction following another disappointing performance and result. This is a football supporters form.

basehibby
07-03-2021, 03:32 AM

Whatever mate - thanks for the opportunity of a double gloat if we do :thumbsup:

basehibby
07-03-2021, 03:34 AM

:tee hee: touche

Onion
07-03-2021, 05:15 AM
What a bunch. The irony if your statement might be lost in you but it’s not on me. You really think the team goes out with a defeatist attitude and that JR has no clue. We’re third in the division and not long ago won 4 in a row. All teams have barren spells, get over your own defeatist attitude and support your team.

Good grief :rolleyes:

Crunchie
07-03-2021, 06:18 AM

I'm not talking about you in particular, but the negative comments on here are way ott. We're third in the league on merit regardless of how good the opposition are. And I don't think it's as bad as being made out either.
I think lock down is responsible for a lot of the skewed comments. If you were offered a chance of third before the season started we would all have grabbed it in a heartbeat.

Heckys Wheel
07-03-2021, 08:00 AM
Whatever mate - thanks for the opportunity of a double gloat if we do :thumbsup:

Ok mate. Good luck.

You should drive through to Livingston for it. 😁

Iggy Pope
07-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Next time I’ll set a series of goals for a post so that we can measure whether or not they’ve been achieved.

It simply an impressionistic reaction following another disappointing performance and result. This is a football supporters form.

You sure it’s not lockdown grief? Seems a common symptom diagnosis amongst reactions to other impressionistic reactions.

SlickShoes
07-03-2021, 02:49 PM
Folk saying that the standard of team outwith Rangers and Celtic is dire, this has pretty much always been the case my whole life. I dunno how you are just noticing it now but usually there isn't much between the team that finishes say 4th and bottom quality wise.

1van Sprou7e
07-03-2021, 06:24 PM

Alternatively, we haven't lost a game this season in which we have scored :wink:

GRA
07-03-2021, 06:32 PM
The same level of hyperbolic hysteria surfaced once we lost to the Dons in November. Then again after the Livi game in Jan. Yet we've had periods of 9 games unbeaten this season & not long of a 4 game winning streak.

But still in a decent position for our highest finish jn 16 years. IF we get that, plus guaranteed European football till Xmas (depending on who wins the SC) will fans agree thats been a successful season?

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2021, 06:56 PM
The same level of hyperbolic hysteria surfaced once we lost to the Dons in November. Then again after the Livi game in Jan. Yet we've had periods of 9 games unbeaten this season & not long of a 4 game winning streak.

But still in a decent position for our highest finish jn 16 years. IF we get that, plus guaranteed European football till Xmas (depending on who wins the SC) will fans agree thats been a successful season?

They will, until we lose a winnable game next season, then this season will have been lucky.

Phil MaGlass
08-03-2021, 05:08 AM

Not really the drop of a hat, most of the season its been frustrating, the only things going for us are the rest of Scottish fitba is not of a great standard and Aberdeen going through a bad patch. 3rd place is great IF one of the OF win the Scottish cup, but the fitba is dire at times.

MWHIBBIES
08-03-2021, 05:21 AM
Not really the drop of a hat, most of the season its been frustrating, the only things going for us are the rest of Scottish fitba is not of a great standard and Aberdeen going through a bad patch. 3rd place is great IF one of the OF win the Scottish cup, but the fitba is dire at times.

That's a really negative way of just saying we've been the 3rd best team so far.

green day
08-03-2021, 08:34 AM
Lets assume this is a made up league table with 6 matches to go.

The team which has won more, lost fewest, scored more, and lost least goals.

What would the perception be of the team at the top? Asking for a friend............

https://i.imgur.com/nobs9nA.png

calumhibee1
08-03-2021, 08:36 AM

What would the perception be of the team at the top? Asking for a friend............

I’d be wondering how they ended up top winning less than half their games!

blackpoolhibs
08-03-2021, 08:37 AM

Why are the team 3rd not 1st?

Pagan Hibernia
08-03-2021, 08:38 AM

3rd place, and winning the Scottish Cup would be even better. Not beyond the realms of possibility either.

Onceinawhile
08-03-2021, 09:25 AM
Livi have shot their bolt. We will beat them.

Ross County are terribly inconsistent and
Jr will have learned from last time.

We might not beat them, but we won't lose.

Aberdeen have scored once in 9 games and have a decent Dundee United team up next. They aren't winning that.

We'll go into the split 7 clear of Aberdeen. We probably won't pick up too many points, but we're finishing third.

I'm more worried about the cup game against qots, as they've really hit form.

GRA
13-03-2021, 05:49 PM
Another fantastic prediction 🤣

SJNB Hibby
13-03-2021, 09:59 PM
Livi have shot their bolt. We will beat them.

Ross County are terribly inconsistent and
Jr will have learned from last time.

We might not beat them, but we won't lose.

Aberdeen have scored once in 9 games and have a decent Dundee United team up next. They aren't winning that.

We'll go into the split 7 clear of Aberdeen. We probably won't pick up too many points, but we're finishing third.

I'm more worried about the cup game against qots, as they've really hit form.
QOTS lost at home to bottom of the table Alloa

Onceinawhile
13-03-2021, 10:06 PM

Aye, with 9 men.

Look at their form beforehand.

AFKA5814_Hibs
13-03-2021, 10:16 PM

To be fair to the OP, QoS had been the form team of the Championship until today. Still think it'll be a tough game.