PDA

View Full Version : hibs.pod EP. 1: Darren McGregor

Vault Boy
02-03-2021, 07:29 PM
hibs.pod

We're excited to share something we've been working away on in the background for quite a while now. hibs.net now has its own podcast! We know that there have been a number of new Hibs related podcasts pop up recently, but this is something that has been a long time in the making - we're hoping to provide something a bit different to the excellent offerings already on the table. The key components of hibs.pod are:

Monthly show.
Hibs related interview each episode.
Segmented and edited.
Bringing in elements of the site when relevant.

For our first episode, myself and Stu (Pretty Boy) sat down with Hibs legend Darren McGregor, we hope you enjoy it.

Spotify: Ep. 1: Darren McGregor (https://open.spotify.com/episode/5vge3CwLdzIP2dUEcj0Vqb?si=kemqifRGRkeYM0VpD1_syQ)

Anchor: Ep. 1: Darren McGregor (https://anchor.fm/hibspod/episodes/EP--1-Darren-McGregor-erbktk)

YouTube: EP. 1: Darren McGregor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75jXKVO4crQ)

02-03-2021, 07:44 PM
Good stuff, will definitely give it a listen.

04Sauzee
02-03-2021, 07:48 PM
Looking forward to listening to that later 👍😁

Ray_
02-03-2021, 07:49 PM
Well done guys, very impressive :agree:

matty_f
02-03-2021, 07:49 PM
The McGregor interview is first class. 👏

Pretty Boy
02-03-2021, 08:10 PM
It was really good fun recording this. Darren was an ideal 1st guest. He's a great talker, a top guy and leads the chat so he probably covered any nerves we had.

As said above we are planning to record monthly and the interview is going to be the focal point. Any feedback, suggestions for who you would like to hear interviewed and any criticisms (preferably constructive) is welcome.

Ryan91
02-03-2021, 09:17 PM
So many Hibs related podcasts these days, it's fantastic, that's now 5, two more and we'll have a Hibs podcast for every day of the week

Looking forward to listening to this when I get a moment

marinello59
02-03-2021, 09:20 PM
The interview with Darren McGregor is first class. Just when I thought I couldn’t love him more.....:greengrin

Vault Boy
02-03-2021, 09:24 PM
Final bit of shameless promotion from me (for tonight at least). You can now catch the first episode on our YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGY7PsEIgxH05hMqutx_UCg), if that's your preference! :aok:

YouTube: EP. 1: Darren McGregor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75jXKVO4crQ)

Hibernia&Alba
02-03-2021, 09:36 PM
This is good news and a welcome addition to the forum. I will listen tomorrow :aok:

DaveF
02-03-2021, 09:46 PM
Very impressed with that. A great interview, good chat and some crap elevator music thrown in for good measure.

Well done.

Hibee Mac
02-03-2021, 09:51 PM
Will definitely give it a listen! Think this is unique enough format to make it a good addition to the Hibs podcast landscape, good one!

Looking forward to sticking voices to names on here [emoji23][emoji106]

Vault Boy
02-03-2021, 09:54 PM
Very impressed with that. A great interview, good chat and some crap elevator music thrown in for good measure.

Well done.

Spent a solid hour sourcing the crappest elevator music I could find. :greengrin

Genuinely though, thanks for your feedback and words of encouragement, Dave. Very glad to know you enjoyed the first episode, you can never be sure how it'll all come together until it's out there.

MagicSwirlingShip
02-03-2021, 10:00 PM
Nice one Gents, got it on now.

Chuck Rhoades
03-03-2021, 05:39 AM
Enjoyed that. Interview with Darren was fantastic. Looking forward to next month’s episode.

Peevemor
03-03-2021, 06:13 AM
I listened to a bit of it last night - it sounds good and I'll definitely get back to it when i have time/peace.

Just one question - are there plans to have .net specific content?

Gaffer1875
03-03-2021, 06:27 AM
Fantastic! Really enjoyed it, there’s a good few Hibs podcasts out just now and all offer something different. Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big_Franck
03-03-2021, 07:00 AM
Not listened to this yet but I'll have it on this afternoon.

One suggestion is you could post on here in advance of each podcast to ask for questions from .net members. That might lead to genuinely unique content and if you are mentioning the .net usernames when reading the questions out it might encourage more of us to engage with it. It'd make it feel more 'ours'.

Best of luck with it anyway boys!

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2021, 07:09 AM
Good chat guys

Well done

Enjoyed that

Love Big Daz 💚

DaveF
03-03-2021, 07:19 AM

This was something I was thinking of too. Perhaps discuss a couple of the hot topic threads and bring the board discussion to the pod.

I think they dipped a toe in that direction with the fans rep chat but expanding on that might be an idea.

Pretty Boy
03-03-2021, 07:21 AM
Not listened to this yet but I'll have it on this afternoon.

One suggestion is you could post on here in advance of each podcast to ask for questions from .net members. That might lead to genuinely unique content and if you are mentioning the .net usernames when reading the questions out it might encourage more of us to engage with it. It'd make it feel more 'ours'.

Best of luck with it anyway boys!

We had discussed that previously and I think it's a goer. It wasn't possible with this one purely because we wanted to drop the 1st episode out of nowhere if you like.

Vault Boy
03-03-2021, 08:16 AM
I listened to a bit of it last night - it sounds good and I'll definitely get back to it when i have time/peace.

That's definitely something we talked about, and the short answer is yes. :aok:

The long answer:

The aim is to balance it. We don't want to alienate Hibs fans who aren't regular users of the site by filling it with references to dot net, but equally the show is tied to the site, so some chat taken from here is definitely to be expected.

We were aiming to perhaps lift a couple of specific posts we found interesting, name the user that posted them, and use them as discussion points, but honestly the logistical challenge of the first episode meant that it slipped by.

Echoing PB, be on the lookout for a thread prior to the next episode so that you can contribute some questions for the next guest. We wanted this one to drop out of the blue, but definitely looking for some member contributions hereon.

Peevemor
03-03-2021, 08:20 AM
That's definitely something we talked about, and the short answer is yes. :aok:

The long answer:

The aim is to balance it. We don't want to alienate Hibs fans who aren't regular users of the site by filling it with references to dot net, but equally the show is tied to the site, so some chat taken from here is definitely to be expected.

We were aiming to perhaps lift a couple of specific posts we found interesting, name the user that posted them, and use them as discussion points, but honestly the logistical challenge of the first episode meant that it slipped by.

Echoing PB, be on the lookout for a thread prior to the next episode so that you can contribute some questions for the next guest. We wanted this one to drop out of the blue, but definitely looking for some member contributions hereon.

Perfect. Cheers. :aok:

Vault Boy
03-03-2021, 08:20 AM
Good chat guys

Well done

Enjoyed that

Love Big Daz 💚

Fantastic! Really enjoyed it, there’s a good few Hibs podcasts out just now and all offer something different. Well done

Enjoyed that. Interview with Darren was fantastic. Looking forward to next month’s episode.

Nice one Gents, got it on now.

:thumbsup:

JimBHibees
03-03-2021, 09:27 AM
Excellent stuff really enjoyed listening to Darren. Interesting the manager he didn't mention

bigwheel
03-03-2021, 10:00 AM
Great stuff guys ..did a Zwift workout this morning , and this made the 1 hour all the more enjoyable [emoji119][emoji106]

blackpoolhibs
03-03-2021, 12:47 PM
Great listen, i'm not really a podcast listener, but i will certainly tune in to more of these. :top marks

Radium
03-03-2021, 05:46 PM
Really enjoyed that. Monthly seems like a good timescale and allows for the wider review that you had. The hot topic/ burning issues (Hibs related) idea from the site and potential for questions for the guest/ in general are good ideas

04Sauzee
03-03-2021, 05:52 PM
Managed to listen to it whilst working and thoroughly enjoyed it. Monthly will work well and leave me something to look forward to 👍

Vault Boy
03-03-2021, 09:14 PM
Cheers again for all the kind feedback folks, it's nice to know that some fellow Hibees got some enjoyment out of the episode. (Also that people can put up with my strange accent for an hour...)

Here's hoping the next one is that bit better as we find our feet. :aok:

DaveF
03-03-2021, 09:55 PM
(Also that people can put up with my strange accent for an hour...:

I was being polite by not mentioning it, but I suppose everyone listening was thinking WTF... 🙂

Vault Boy
03-03-2021, 10:12 PM
I was being polite by not mentioning it, but I suppose everyone listening was thinking WTF... 🙂

In Scotland I get called an English prick, in England I get called a Scottish prick. Worst of both worlds. :greengrin

I once ordered a pint in the Hibs Club and the lady stood next to me asked if I was Australian, that was a first.

Iggy Pope
03-03-2021, 10:18 PM
In Scotland I get called an English prick, in England I get called a Scottish prick. Worst of both worlds. :greengrin

I once ordered a pint in the Hibs Club and the lady stood next to me asked if I was Australian, that was a first.

Could’ve been worse.....

Vault Boy
03-03-2021, 10:22 PM
Could’ve been worse.....

🤔

Iggy Pope
04-03-2021, 08:23 PM
🤔

She might have called you an Australian prick!

Vault Boy
04-03-2021, 08:50 PM
She might have called you an Australian prick!

:greengrin

hibeejeebies
05-03-2021, 07:53 AM
Really enjoyable listen boys, looking forward to more of these 👍🏻

I get a strong sense Darren will make a very fine manager one day.

hhibs
05-03-2021, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys that was excellent.

AS for Darren ,comes over so well and will be such an inspiration to ours and Leith Athletics youngsters................Legend !

Ray_
05-03-2021, 11:09 AM

For somebody who was born and raised in London and the south east to have such a love for all things Hibs to me shows incredible good taste and is clearly a product of outstanding parenting :greengrin

Carheenlea
09-03-2021, 08:58 AM
Eventually got round to listening to this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Darren McGregor comes across as a great guy and he was very engaging. Finishing off with some general Hibs chat between the two hosts wound it down well and struck the right balance.

With having a guest like Darren McGregor it had more of a feel like the official club podcasts that stopped a couple of seasons back, with the content pragmatic in manner and easy to listen to.

I like the fact it’s going to be monthly. Not the same pressure to keep up to date with episodes given the volume of alternative Hibs themed podcasts on the go. In the time I took to get round to listening to this I’d have missed a couple of episodes from some of the others, and I’ve found myself drifting away from those because of the volume of episodes and the feeling that you’re not really missing anything by just catching up with the latest one rather than going through the ones you’ve missed.

This one one looks like it will be more stand alone with an interview and a general catch up of the previous 4-5 weeks so not the same demands on the listener to download and absorb right away.

Vault Boy
09-03-2021, 12:42 PM
Eventually got round to listening to this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Darren McGregor comes across as a great guy and he was very engaging. Finishing off with some general Hibs chat between the two hosts wound it down well and struck the right balance.

With having a guest like Darren McGregor it had more of a feel like the official club podcasts that stopped a couple of seasons back, with the content pragmatic in manner and easy to listen to.

I like the fact it’s going to be monthly. Not the same pressure to keep up to date with episodes given the volume of alternative Hibs themed podcasts on the go. In the time I took to get round to listening to this I’d have missed a couple of episodes from some of the others, and I’ve found myself drifting away from those because of the volume of episodes and the feeling that you’re not really missing anything by just catching up with the latest one rather than going through the ones you’ve missed.

This one one looks like it will be more stand alone with an interview and a general catch up of the previous 4-5 weeks so not the same demands on the listener to download and absorb right away.

Really glad you enjoyed it, and in your own time. Darren is definitely a special guy, I hope he's at the club for a long time yet.

One of the goals was specifically to make it accessible at any point, as we recognise that the weekly/ moment to moment coverage is very well handled by Hibs Talk, Longbangers, Down The Slope, and probably some others I've missed, so it's good to read that you felt it worked on that level.

So long as we're always able to get somebody more interesting than us two on the show. :greengrin

Will use this reply as a chance to remind folk that the next episode will feature your questions, we'll announce the guest and open the thread at the end of the month, so keep an eye out. 👍