PDA

View Full Version : L1/L2 and Scottish Cup resumption thread

Diclonius
02-03-2021, 01:42 PM
They're being allowed to train again (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56254716). Looks like we're setting up for potentially resuming the leagues and Cup.

Stuart93
02-03-2021, 01:46 PM
They're being allowed to train again (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56254716). Looks like we're setting up for potentially resuming the leagues and Cup.

I’m wondering how they’re going to fit Scottish cup ties in, league 1 & 2 still have a lot of games to get through in their league & ties that should’ve been played in January are still to happen.

Wonder if this’ll be finished off next season again

Blaster
02-03-2021, 01:50 PM
I’m wondering how they’re going to fit Scottish cup ties in, league 1 & 2 still have a lot of games to get through in their league & ties that should’ve been played in January are still to happen.

Wonder if this’ll be finished off next season again

The lower league season could play every midweek and through to the end of May I guess

Lancs Harp
02-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Is the plan just to play each other twice in a shortened season?

hibbysam
02-03-2021, 02:25 PM
Is the plan just to play each other twice in a shortened season?

No details yet, I’d imagine if it’s an immediate return to training they’ll be looking at 3/4 weeks before games. No chance some teams can play 19 league games, and I’d imagine the cup will take precedence.

Still baffling that they never played the first two qualifying and three proper rounds of the cup over 2/3 weeks when they first started back up so that it was mainly down to the professional full time clubs.

1van Sprou7e
02-03-2021, 02:46 PM
https://twitter.com/ScottishCup/status/1366774289928777729

Cup given permission to resume

jacomo
02-03-2021, 02:58 PM

We’re in it to win it!

Magpie
02-03-2021, 03:02 PM
I can’t see past Rangers winning it but it’s another chance of silverware for us. Bring on QOTS!

Diclonius
02-03-2021, 03:04 PM

Yaaaaaas let's go

JimBHibees
02-03-2021, 03:06 PM
We’re in it to win it!

Got to be said our draw appears to now be trickier given Queens upturn in form.

Hopefully no attempt to play our tie in international break.

Billy Whizz
02-03-2021, 04:14 PM
There’s probably no reason why the likes of Queen of the. South v Hibs, and other ties that aren’t relying on replays etc, to take place
Premiership teams are all free on the weekend of 3rd/4th April, and the week after, which are free for semi finals

Brightside
02-03-2021, 07:29 PM

More importantly the SWPL 1 is allowed back also.

hibbysam
02-03-2021, 07:44 PM

Without trying to sound dickish, why is that more important that our Scottish cup getting the green light to start again?

EI255
02-03-2021, 07:53 PM
Difficult to get excited about this.

I want a holiday and pub.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Brightside
02-03-2021, 08:06 PM
Without trying to sound dickish, why is that more important that our Scottish cup getting the green light to start again?

A whole group of players being allowed to train at last, is more important than a cup. Just my opinion of course.

Ryan91
02-03-2021, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure if I see the point in trying to resume the Scottish cup unless they're going to be playing ties midweek throughout April and even if they did that I'd suspect they might not get the Semi Finals completed before the originally scheduled date for the final. At that point, I'd have to assume that due to Hampden being prepped for the EUROs if they were supposed to play the Semis post May 8th, they'd have to be at other neutral grounds

Even if L1/L2 teams resumed training next week, they still need 3/4 weeks before they can return to competitive action, so it's end of March/start of April before they play any games.

I think it's just too much of a hassle and they should just say the Scottish Cup will not be awarded for season 2020-21 due to COVID-19

hibbysam
02-03-2021, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure if I see the point in trying to resume the Scottish cup unless they're going to be playing ties midweek throughout April and even if they did that I'd suspect they might not get the Semi Finals completed before the originally scheduled date for the final. At that point, I'd have to assume that due to Hampden being prepped for the EUROs if they were supposed to play the Semis post May 8th, they'd have to be at other neutral grounds

Even if L1/L2 teams resumed training next week, they still need 3/4 weeks before they can return to competitive action, so it's end of March/start of April before they play any games.

I think it's just too much of a hassle and they should just say the Scottish Cup will not be awarded for season 2020-21 due to COVID-19

Can’t see that being done. Too much money through TV, sponsorships etc. Smaller clubs can’t afford to hand money back to TV broadcasters for a null and void competition.

Keith_M
03-03-2021, 07:39 AM

You could always start another thread about that.

Brooster
03-03-2021, 08:04 AM

All lower league teams were told they would get 2 weeks lead in time before games would start.

Wakeyhibee
03-03-2021, 08:53 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56263096

L1 & L2 clubs talking about cancelling the league this season. They may decide to forfeit the cup also if testing costs are prohibitive.

Seemed a strange one at first but thought that maybe with the SC grant, Mr Anderson £50k, LC money and furlough extended it's in their interests to do this until fans are allowed back.

I'm not saying they will have made a profit from it, Falkirk & Partick will be big losers I'm sure but some clubs may be doing ok with a lot of their costs covered. I cant see many turning over £1m normally with the costs associated to make that money.

ano hibby
03-03-2021, 09:01 AM
Does the starting of the Scottish cup have implications for our European ambitions? My understanding is that if we finish 3rd and the SC is not played we actually benefit? Unless we went on to win the cup of course.

Billy Whizz
03-03-2021, 09:13 AM
Does the starting of the Scottish cup have implications for our European ambitions? My understanding is that if we finish 3rd and the SC is not played we actually benefit? Unless we went on to win the cup of course.

I’d be surprised if the Scottish Cup will be completed, before Europe starts ,unless the final is played in July

Wakeyhibee
03-03-2021, 09:14 AM

If the SC is played in time and the winner is not either of the OF then 3rd loses that place in the EL (and subsequent auto ECL group stages) for the ECL 2r qualifying

JimBHibees
03-03-2021, 09:33 AM
I’d be surprised if the Scottish Cup will be completed, before Europe starts ,unless the final is played in July

I think they will want to get to semi final stage then carry over as per this season to when much greater possibility of fans allowed back.

Billy Whizz
03-03-2021, 10:10 AM
I think they will want to get to semi final stage then carry over as per this season to when much greater possibility of fans allowed back.

Makes sense Jim

hibbysam
03-03-2021, 12:36 PM

Not sure for definite but I’d presume there is a cut off point of handing entrants to UEFA, July sounds very late.

Billy Whizz
03-03-2021, 01:02 PM
Not sure for definite but I’d presume there is a cut off point of handing entrants to UEFA, July sounds very late.

It won’t just be Scotland though

Sir David Gray
03-03-2021, 01:04 PM

This season's deadline was 3rd August 2020.

wookie70
03-03-2021, 01:08 PM

That is my view too and I hope that means 3rd in the league gets the better Euro place.

andrew70
03-03-2021, 02:08 PM
https://t.co/1lnupVHxIK

davhibby
03-03-2021, 02:09 PM
Just announced the dates.

Second Round: Tuesday, 23 March
Third Round: Saturday, 3 April
Fourth Round: Saturday, 17 April
Fifth Round: Saturday, 24 April
Semi-Finals: Saturday, 8 & Sunday, 9 May
Final: Saturday, 22 May

From having a very sparse schedule, we’re now looking at a very busy April/May if we are to go far in the cup

Billy Whizz
03-03-2021, 02:23 PM
Just announced the dates.

Second Round: Tuesday, 23 March
Third Round: Saturday, 3 April
Fourth Round: Saturday, 17 April
Fifth Round: Saturday, 24 April
Semi-Finals: Saturday, 8 & Sunday, 9 May
Final: Saturday, 22 May

From having a very sparse schedule, we’re now looking at a very busy April/May if we are to go far in the cup

They’ll need to bring the Premiership season forward, as we have no game on 10th April in the league, but do on 17th and 24th

Wonder where they’ll play the final, as Hampden is getting set up for the Euro’s after the semi final dates

Diclonius
03-03-2021, 02:25 PM
They’ll need to bring the Premiership season forward, as we have no game on 10th April in the league, but do on 17th and 24th

Wonder where they’ll play the final, as Hampden is getting set up for the Euro’s after the semi final dates

The only neutral option is Murrayfield, so naturally they'll pick the home stadium of whichever OF team makes the final.

To be honest they could hold it at Cathkin Park for all it matters, no-one's going to be there.

danhibees1875
03-03-2021, 02:25 PM
That's disappointing.

We'll just need to come third, and win the cup!

CropleyWasGod
03-03-2021, 02:26 PM

If there are no fans, would that matter? Indeed, if a small number were allowed in, Saughton Enclosure would be fine.

Billy Whizz
03-03-2021, 02:40 PM
If there are no fans, would that matter? Indeed, if a small number were allowed in, Saughton Enclosure would be fine.

Absolutely could be played anywhere

Billy Whizz
03-03-2021, 04:37 PM
https://spfl.co.uk/news/premiership-post-split-dates

FOLLOWING THE SCOTTISH FA’S ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING THE SCOTTISH CUP, THE PREMIERSHIP POST-SPLIT FIXTURE DATES HAVE NOW BEEN CONFIRMED

Rd 34 – Weekend of 10/11 April
Rd 35 – Midweek of 20/21 April
Rd 36 – Weekend of 1/2 May
Rd 37 – Midweek of 11/12 May
Rd 38 – Weekend of 15/16 May

Diclonius
03-03-2021, 05:03 PM
https://spfl.co.uk/news/premiership-post-split-dates

FOLLOWING THE SCOTTISH FA’S ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING THE SCOTTISH CUP, THE PREMIERSHIP POST-SPLIT FIXTURE DATES HAVE NOW BEEN CONFIRMED

Rd 34 – Weekend of 10/11 April
Rd 35 – Midweek of 20/21 April
Rd 36 – Weekend of 1/2 May
Rd 37 – Midweek of 11/12 May
Rd 38 – Weekend of 15/16 May

That'll be a fun two months.

calumhibee1
04-03-2021, 10:03 AM
https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/statement-from-spfl-leagues-1-2/

Wakeyhibee
04-03-2021, 10:12 AM

I'm not sure I'm getting this. Do they mean a split followed by playoffs? Or a split with a single play off between 9th and 2nd?

mjhibby
04-03-2021, 10:14 AM

With the raith Dunfermline game off showing that covid will still disrupt the schedule. I admire them for trying but I can see loads of games called off once leagues one and two restart. My guess would be Scottish cup final around end of August / September.

ballengeich
04-03-2021, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure I'm getting this. Do they mean a split followed by playoffs? Or a split with a single play off between 9th and 2nd?
I read it as a split followed by playoffs. As it needs an extension to the season I'd have thought an 18 game season followed by playoffs would be a lot simpler. The proposal put forward will mean the 9th in the championship having a two week gap before playoff games and possibly having to extend contracts so I can see some objections from that division.

hibbysam
04-03-2021, 11:24 AM

Full play offs, remember lower league play offs are just semis and final. It’s not the same format as the Premiership play offs.

ekhibee
04-03-2021, 09:20 PM
Is the SC on Premier Sports? If it isn't then I'm cancelling PS.

hibbysam
04-03-2021, 09:24 PM

It is, they’ve already selected their third round ties, Celtic vs Arbroath/Falkirk and Rangers vs Cove 😂

Magpie
04-03-2021, 09:37 PM

Premier Sports have a contract for Scottish Cup games until the end of the 2023/24 season.

Sir David Gray
04-03-2021, 10:13 PM

It is but it's also on BBC.

Both channels have two matches each from rounds 3, 4 and the quarter finals. They get a semi final each (first pick to Premier) and they share the final.

hibbysam
04-03-2021, 10:19 PM
It is but it's also on BBC.

Both channels have two matches each from rounds 3, 4 and the quarter finals. They get a semi final each (first pick to Premier) and they share the final.

Premier sports show both semi finals, BBC get one of the two.

Sir David Gray
04-03-2021, 10:29 PM
Premier sports show both semi finals, BBC get one of the two.

Yes poorly worded.

Del Boy
05-03-2021, 02:20 PM
It is, they’ve already selected their third round ties, Celtic vs Arbroath/Falkirk and Rangers vs Cove 😂

Of course.

Any idea on the bbc games?

hibbysam
05-03-2021, 02:34 PM
Of course.

Any idea on the bbc games?

Don’t think that’s been announced yet. They’ll take a wee bit more care and attention over those, the only reason premier don’t just announce their fixtures to the end of the competition is in case Rangers or Celtic lose or draw each other.

Ross county - Inverness will be a near certainty. Dundee - St Johnstone another. Two derbies and should be fairly competitive too.

Diclonius
05-03-2021, 04:37 PM

If Rangers somehow got a bye to the next round Premier Sports would just show them playing eleven training cones or something.

Lancs Harp
05-03-2021, 04:52 PM
If Rangers somehow got a bye to the next round Premier Sports would just show them playing eleven training cones or something.

:greengrin

Aye but training cones that knocked Hearts out 3-0 in the previous round :wink:

hibbysam
05-03-2021, 05:36 PM

They’d find an u17 old firm game from the archives to show instead 😂

jgl07
05-03-2021, 07:50 PM
Premier Sports have a contract for Scottish Cup games until the end of the 2023/24 season.

Oh misery!

hibby rae
05-03-2021, 11:02 PM
The only neutral option is Murrayfield, so naturally they'll pick the home stadium of whichever OF team makes the final.

To be honest they could hold it at Cathkin Park for all it matters, no-one's going to be there.

Think we have a decent Scottish Cup final record at Cathkin Park tbf so I'd take that 😉

Greenbeard
06-03-2021, 06:57 AM
That fud Mclauchlin should be even more red faced than usual after referring in the Hibs TV presser y'day to the announcement that the Cup will be concluded this season and saying to JR "That changes things in terms of the prize on offer for 3rd. I presume that that doesn't change your desire to finish 3rd?"
A man of real wisdom is Brian. Did he expect JR to say "Ach it doesn't bother me whether we finish 3rd or 4th so I don't care if we drop more points and I've told the lads just to take it easy until the season end."

Billy Whizz
22-03-2021, 03:39 PM
2nd round is tomorrow night, anyone see any shocks
A bit unfortunate for Highland league teams as they haven’t played since October

Matches kick-off at 7.45pm unless specified
Arbroath v Falkirk
Buckie Thistle v Inverness Caledonian Thistle (8pm)
Brora Rangers v Heart of Midlothian
Dumbarton v Huntly
Elgin City v Ayr United
Formartine United v Annan Athletic
Greenock Morton v Dunfermline Athletic
Keith v Clyde
Nairn County v Montrose (7.30pm)
Partick Thistle v Cowdenbeath
Peterhead v Stenhousemuir
Stirling Albion v Raith Rovers

WhileTheChief..
22-03-2021, 03:46 PM
There’s an “Official - Brora v Hearts” thread on kickback.

Kinda cute :greengrin

#bigteam

Eyrie
22-03-2021, 06:39 PM

#bigteam

I'm hoping Brora aren't the victims of a cupset.

one day maybe...
22-03-2021, 06:47 PM

#bigteam

Wait until Hearts see the pitch. I hope its blowing a hooly as it could make it kinda interesting.. :greengrin

Godsahibby
22-03-2021, 07:14 PM
Hearts taking it seriously they are up here already staying in Dornoch.

Eyrie
23-03-2021, 09:47 PM
I'm hoping Brora aren't the victims of a cupset.

And they weren't :greengrin

Stairway 2 7
23-03-2021, 09:51 PM
Hearts taking it seriously they are up here already staying in Dornoch.

Waste of a ******g hotel trip that was