PDA

View Full Version : Scott Brown

spike220
28-02-2021, 12:21 AM
Anyone think he could make a useful contribution to Hibs as a player, should the chance arise for him to give something back?

NOLA
28-02-2021, 12:44 AM
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
28-02-2021, 01:07 AM
Absolutely!

And he has said in interviews that he would like to play again for Hibs one day, so we might see him in a Hibs strip next season maybe.

1875Sean
28-02-2021, 01:11 AM
Hi legs are gone, no thanks

HoboHarry
28-02-2021, 01:29 AM
For the money we would need to pay him we could buy two or three players with potential to get selling on fees......

cabbageandribs1875
28-02-2021, 03:39 AM
For the money we would need to pay him we could buy two or three players with potential to get selling on fees......

did kevin thomson not play for free/very little on his return

Dalianwanda
28-02-2021, 03:43 AM
Anyone think he could make a useful contribution to Hibs as a player, should the chance arise for him to give something back?

nah...if he’s not able to do it for celtic anymore why should we think he could do it for us?

HoboHarry
28-02-2021, 04:36 AM
did kevin thomson not play for free/very little on his return
If he was willing to drop way down on wages then yes, that would change the dynamic for sure. It's just a rarity for footballers to agree to that.....

Viva_Palmeiras
28-02-2021, 04:56 AM
Woukdnt any new manager want a period to bed himself in with someone like Scott in the dressing room?

I don’t know what would be bring - steel, competitiveness, demanding, organisation, tactics.
Could he drop back into a sweeper role?

I’m not sure.

neil7908
28-02-2021, 07:57 AM
Who sits out? I'd have rather have Jackson, Newell, Gogic and Allan. Unless he's playing for peanuts its a no from me.

Yorkshire HFC
28-02-2021, 08:59 AM
If he was willing to drop way down on wages then yes, that would change the dynamic for sure. It's just a rarity for footballers to agree to that.....

I'm not sure why people sometimes expect players to play for less than they're worth - why would they do that?

As with many things in life, if something is given for free / less than it's worth, then there is also often no commitment given.

If Ross thinks he's worth a place in the team, then fine - make him an offer. But don't expect him to do it as a favour to Hibs.

Bishop Hibee
28-02-2021, 09:14 AM
No. We should be looking for good young players with similar attributes.

Onion
28-02-2021, 09:19 AM
Yes. We don't have a proper captain or enough leaders at Hibs. When we go down in games, we stay down. Brown might help change that.

HendoDelivered
28-02-2021, 09:20 AM
I’d take him for a season defo.

Billy Whizz
28-02-2021, 09:29 AM
Does Jack want him?

ancient hibee
28-02-2021, 09:30 AM
Yes. We don't have a proper captain or enough leaders at Hibs. When we go down in games, we stay down. Brown might help change that.

I think it’s easy to exhibit leadership if your team is sweeping all before it. As his fitness levels have dropped his leadership qualities disappeared from view at the time his team needed him most.Not for me.

Hibbyradge
28-02-2021, 09:36 AM
Hi legs are gone, no thanks

Where?

Dr What If?
28-02-2021, 09:47 AM
Yes.....kind of......it depends on our realistic ambitions. He is a very talented player and his achievements will demand the respect of dressing room and opposition alike. He would be an asset for a team pushing for a top 4 finish no doubt, but is that where we are? My reading of Ron's ambitions are to grow the size of the club.....buy players with potential and develop them....turn us into bigger club with grander long term aspirations, Brown would be a short term asset but as others have said....at what cost?

DH1875
28-02-2021, 09:54 AM
He won't be at celtic next season and IF his desire is to still stay in Scotland, where else is he gonna go. Can't seem him at rangers or hearts somehow :greengrin

ekhibee
28-02-2021, 09:58 AM
Not as a player, but as a manager I think he'd be brilliant with Hibs, just my opinion though.

MWHIBBIES
28-02-2021, 10:00 AM
Absolutely not.

MWHIBBIES
28-02-2021, 10:01 AM
Not as a player, but as a manager I think he'd be brilliant with Hibs, just my opinion though.

Based on managing zero matches ever?

ekhibee
28-02-2021, 10:06 AM
Anyway, as I was saying, I think he would be a great manager of Hibs in the future. just my opinion though.

lord bunberry
28-02-2021, 10:08 AM
Where?
The south of France I believe. The rest of him are heading there when he retires.

Hibbyradge
28-02-2021, 10:16 AM
Anyway, as I was saying, I think he would be a great manager of Hibs in the future. just my opinion though.

It's more of a hunch or a hope than an opinion.

I thought Sauzee would be the best manager we'd ever had, but we know how that turned out.

I had no idea about Franck's knowledge of tactics and how to use/change them. No idea about his reading of opponents strengths and weaknesses, no idea if he could spot a player or deal in the transfer market, and no clue about his ability to motivate the ones at his disposal.

A player's ability on the pitch is no reflection of their managerial potential.

The romantic in me would love SB to become a great Hibs manager, but the chances of that are very low.

Nevi_SOL
28-02-2021, 10:17 AM
100% take him if available. A winner with tons of experience in Europe

Hibbyradge
28-02-2021, 10:17 AM
The south of France I believe. The rest of him are heading there when he retires.

Typical Celtic player.

Ignoring the Covid restrictions, again! :bitchy:

ekhibee
28-02-2021, 10:37 AM
It's more of a hunch or a hope than an opinion.

I thought Sauzee would be the best manager we'd ever had, but we know how that turned out.

I had no idea about Franck's knowledge of tactics and how to use/change them. No idea about his reading of opponents strengths and weaknesses, no idea if he could spot a player or deal in the transfer market, and no clue about his ability to motivate the ones at his disposal.

A player's ability on the pitch is no reflection of their managerial potential.

The romantic in me would love SB to become a great Hibs manager, but the chances of that are very low.

I can totally see where you're coming from, and the Sauzee 'experiment' didn't work out well, but with me it's SB's knowledge of the Scottish game after years of experience in this particular league that would certainly be a great help IMO, but you're probably right, the chances of it happening are probably quite low.

Winston Ingram
28-02-2021, 10:49 AM

No. He’s finished

easty
28-02-2021, 11:08 AM
Based on managing zero matches ever?

He was my amateur team manager for a few years. He was good.

I’m aware that’s basically only a step up from being good on Football Manager on the PC.

SeanWilson
28-02-2021, 11:12 AM
Who sits out? I'd have rather have Jackson, Newell, Gogic and Allan. Unless he's playing for peanuts its a no from me.

I'd rather have a retiring, pished, fat Scott Brown than Gogic.

Hibbyradge
28-02-2021, 11:13 AM

Wow! :faf:

Allez Hibs
28-02-2021, 11:14 AM
No.

lord bunberry
28-02-2021, 11:16 AM
Have a word with yourself ffs.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2021, 11:29 AM
I think he just might be past it, although there are sometimes i look at our midfield and question myself on that score. :greengrin

PH91
28-02-2021, 11:32 AM

Even though his level has dropped he is still as good or better than all of those players. He would enhance the squad, no doubt about it.

At times this team have been crying out for an experienced and calm (in a footballing sense) head in the middle of the park, brown would definitely give us that as well as a wee bit of dig when things aren't going our way.

Plus, if we are to get european group stage football, his experience of playing in europe would be an asset not only to the players but the manager who has never played or managed in european football before.

Of course it all depends on whether ross wants him and he wants to come but even though i generally don't like to see ex players/managers returning i would be all for a one or two year deal.

Since452
28-02-2021, 11:34 AM
He'd struggle for game time

28-02-2021, 11:34 AM
Bring him in for derbies. Hawrts fans despise him and he is a master of goading people

PaulSmith
28-02-2021, 11:40 AM

100% yes.

In a playing sense, his experience and bringing a mental toughness to the squad.

The Modfather
28-02-2021, 12:16 PM
I’d rather spend what would be a big wage on someone up and coming like Campbell than Brown. However if you put legs and energy around him I think we could still get a good season or two out of him.

Brightside
28-02-2021, 02:15 PM

No.

bingo70
28-02-2021, 02:23 PM
I don’t like getting ahead of myself but if we do finish 3rd and are in group stages of European football next season we’ll need a big squad.

Someone with Browns experience could be hugely beneficial to us.

Also worth remembering that by the end of the season he’ll have probably played well in excess of 30-35 games for a team that’ll probably finish around 15-20 points ahead of us. The idea he couldn’t contribute something for us is nonsense IMO.

Whether he would be value for money is a different argument but in terms of what he could offer on the pitch it would be a no brainier IMO.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2021, 03:49 PM
I don’t like getting ahead of myself but if we do finish 3rd and are in group stages of European football next season we’ll need a big squad.

Also worth remembering that by the end of the season he’ll have probably played well in excess of 30-35 games for a team that’ll probably finish around 15-20 points ahead of us. The idea he couldn’t contribute something for us is nonsense IMO.

Whether he would be value for money is a different argument but in terms of what he could offer on the pitch it would be a no brainier IMO.

I think having better players around him has helped him over the last couple of seasons, but as they have regressed, he's regressed quicker in my opinion.

I agree about the bigger squad, hopefully we will need that, but i just have my doubts over him now. :confused:

bingo70
28-02-2021, 03:58 PM
I think having better players around him has helped him over the last couple of seasons, but as they have regressed, he's regressed quicker in my opinion.

I agree about the bigger squad, hopefully we will need that, but i just have my doubts over him now. :confused:

I wouldn’t like to be relying on him to play 40 games a season but used the right way and if he wasn’t too expensive I think he’d be a smart signing.

Looking at our midfield yesterday, who was the leader there? I think we could have done with someone like him yesterday.

If we can get a leader that’s younger then great but I don’t think they’re that easy to come by.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2021, 04:23 PM
I wouldn’t like to be relying on him to play 40 games a season but used the right way and if he wasn’t too expensive I think he’d be a smart signing.

Looking at our midfield yesterday, who was the leader there? I think we could have done with someone like him yesterday.

If we can get a leader that’s younger then great but I don’t think they’re that easy to come by.

You might be right Bingo, it's a tough one that probably wont happen anyway. :greengrin

The 90+2
28-02-2021, 04:54 PM
I would give him a year or two, yes. We give Stephen McGinn a contract for very little afterall. His experience would be amazing around the club.

The 90+2
28-02-2021, 04:55 PM
I’d rather spend what would be a big wage on someone up and coming like Campbell than Brown. However if you put legs and energy around him I think we could still get a good season or two out of him.

Yeah I would agree with all of this.

The Spaceman
28-02-2021, 05:16 PM
Bring him in on an Edinburgh Derby only contract.

Billy Whizz
28-02-2021, 05:17 PM
I would give him a year or two, yes. We give Stephen McGinn a contract for very little afterall. His experience would be amazing around the club.

Think McGinn’ is more our Chief Scout nowadays

CMurdoch
28-02-2021, 05:40 PM
Was a great player but 36 in June which for a player of his playing style is game over as evidenced by his performances this season. Time waits for no man. When it's over it's over. I was watching Naismith playing for Hearts on Friday and he is done as well. It comes to every player no matter how good.
For those that want Brown around the place for his experience etc we already have SDG doing that job full time with Daz and young Mr Stevenson in the wings.

Mr. Wonderful
28-02-2021, 05:44 PM
Would absolutely stroll into our midfield, would take him in a minute. I think he'll see out his days at Celtic in some capacity though.

Kato
28-02-2021, 05:53 PM
Would absolutely stroll into our midfield, would take him in a minute. I think he'll see out his days at Celtic in some capacity though.

The only reason stroll is that can't run.

spike220
01-03-2021, 07:28 AM
Bring him in on an Edinburgh Derby only contract.

He would do it as a freebie I am sure of that.

MWHIBBIES
01-03-2021, 07:34 AM
He would do it as a freebie I am sure of that.

I'd hope so, at 36 years old with his playstyle, he'd be sent off after 30 minutes anyway.

Seriously. Folk need to have more ambition than Celtics 36 year old sloppy seconds just because he shows some ''pashun''

wookie70
01-03-2021, 09:47 AM
I think he would easily be a first team pick at the moment but it is ever decreasing circles in terms of his career. It could work if it was for a season next year and it was to address our lack lustre displays. It might work but he never really managed to do it with a team that should have been winning the league this year so not sure he would be able to do it with us. It is a no for me as I support the plan that is to bring younger players in and grow them to sell on and lift us up another level

The 90+2
01-03-2021, 12:28 PM
Think McGinn’ is more our Chief Scout nowadays

👍

jacomo
01-03-2021, 12:45 PM
I'd hope so, at 36 years old with his playstyle, he'd be sent off after 30 minutes anyway.

Seriously. Folk need to have more ambition than Celtics 36 year old sloppy seconds just because he shows some ''pashun''

You were admonishing other posters for not being ‘objective’ on the Doidge thread. Time you took your own advice.

You clearly have a personal issue with Scott Brown for some reason but it doesn’t belong here.

hhibs
01-03-2021, 12:46 PM

If we were to push the boat out in terms of wages would rather we got in Graeme Shinnie ,if and I guess it is a big if ,he would come.

SteveHFC
01-03-2021, 12:47 PM
If it helped us in Europe next season then yes. We need a veteran player in there who has bags of experience playing in European games.

MWHIBBIES
01-03-2021, 12:50 PM
You were admonishing other posters for not being ‘objective’ on the Doidge thread. Time you took your own advice.

You clearly have a personal issue with Scott Brown for some reason but it doesn’t belong here.

What reason is the to sign him, though? Like, I just don't get it. He's washed up and not the type we've signed for years.

I think the main reason folk want him is because he would shout a bit and has a skin head so he looks like this magical ''leader'' type that we apparently need. I just don't get it at all. We're gonna be playing 3 games a week next season. We need young, hungry fit players. We have plenty of experience already.

Northernhibee
01-03-2021, 12:59 PM
Not for me. Not seen anything from him on the pitch in the last eighteen months to think he's at the level we require any longer.

jacomo
01-03-2021, 01:24 PM
What reason is the to sign him, though? Like, I just don't get it. He's washed up and not the type we've signed for years.

I think the main reason folk want him is because he would shout a bit and has a skin head so he looks like this magical ''leader'' type that we apparently need. I just don't get it at all. We're gonna be playing 3 games a week next season. We need young, hungry fit players. We have plenty of experience already.

Tbh I have my doubts about him returning now.

A bit like Kenny Miller - would have liked it to happen but with each year that passed it became less and less appealing.

However, there is no doubt that Scott does have leadership qualities - something that many people say we lack on the park. And if we are playing more games we will need a deeper squad.

bingo70
01-03-2021, 01:41 PM

He’s played 34 times this season for a team that’s 15 points clear of us. He’s got a huge amount of European football experience. He’s a leader on the park and we’ll need a big squad next season if we finish 3rd.

We also have plenty young energetic players, it’s about finding the balance.

The question of the cost is relevant but to suggest people would only want us to sign him because he’s got a skin head and shouts is just nonsense.

MWHIBBIES
01-03-2021, 01:48 PM
Tbh I have my doubts about him returning now.

A bit like Kenny Miller - would have liked it to happen but with each year that passed it became less and less appealing.

However, there is no doubt that Scott does have leadership qualities - something that many people say we lack on the park. And if we are playing more games we will need a deeper squad.People have been saying for weeks McGregor was a leader and what we needed.

He’s played 34 times this season for a team that’s 15 points clear of us. He’s got a huge amount of European football experience. He’s a leader on the park and we’ll need a big squad next season if we finish 3rd.

The question of the cost is relevant but to suggest people would only want us to sign him because he’s got a skin head and shouts is just nonsense.
Marciano, Lewis, Hanlon, McGregor, Irvine, Boyle, Doidge all have hundreds of games of experience and started on Saturday. None of them are young. Its probably more hungry, young players we need.

If you put Celtics best team around Jackson Irvine, or Alex Gogic they'd still be 15 clear of us. It is very little to do with the current incarnation of Brown. Most Celtic fans want Turnbull and Soro in there instead of him.

Bright_Hibee
01-03-2021, 02:30 PM

His time has passed and age has caught up with him. Maybe two years ago the answer would be different but not now. We need someone mobile in the middle.

hibbyfraelibby
01-03-2021, 02:54 PM
As a coach maybes, as a player no...canbae stand players that wear a strip 2 sizes too tight just to look hard especially combined with shorts that are so small your gonnads are put into reverse😉😉😉

EI255
01-03-2021, 03:04 PM
Hi legs are gone, no thanksStrange how Celtic's own players say different.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-03-2021, 03:14 PM
Not for me. Not that he isn't still a very good player, but this would be more of a vanity signing for both parties.

jacomo
01-03-2021, 03:54 PM
People have been saying for weeks McGregor was a leader and what we needed.

And they were right. There was a noticeable and immediate improvement when he came into the team.

However he’s not a young man anymore and the Motherwell match was maybe a game too far for him.

Not sure what point you are making??

MWHIBBIES
01-03-2021, 04:15 PM
And they were right. There was a noticeable and immediate improvement when he came into the team.

However he’s not a young man anyhow and the Motherwell match was maybe a game too far for him.

Not sure what point you are making??

The leader effect is vastly overrated IMO. Our form with McGregor and defensive record wasn't better than the begining of the season. I don't think it was a game too far for him, he just didn't have a good game, that happens.

The point is, we don't need more of this leader type. Or x, or y. We need quality footballers and *****ing big wages on a 36 year old Brown would not be a good idea. Irvine, Allan, Gogic, Newall and Magennis is a really good central midfield. When they've all had a pre season I'm quite happy with them.

Mon Dieu4
01-03-2021, 04:18 PM
Strange how Celtic's own players say different.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Why is it strange?, do you expect the Celtic players to come out and say aye our captains legs are gone

jacomo
01-03-2021, 04:20 PM
The leader effect is vastly overrated IMO. Our form with McGregor and defensive record wasn't better than the begining of the season. I don't think it was a game too far for him, he just didn't have a good game, that happens.

The point is, we don't need more of this leader type. Or x, or y. We need quality footballers and *****ing big wages on a 36 year old Brown would not be a good idea. Irvine, Allan, Gogic, Newall and Magennis is a really good central midfield. When they've all had a pre season I'm quite happy with them.

Fair enough, if that’s your opinion, although even I who have only played team sport at a very low level have seen the value of leadership on the pitch. It’s difficult to define but easy to see the benefits.

As for wages, you don’t know how much Scott would ask for. As has been pointed out elsewhere, KT played for free for a while.

Also, Scott gave a portion of his agreed transfer to us when he left, so despite your views on him, he’s already given Hibs more cash than you or I have.

Pagan Hibernia
01-03-2021, 04:21 PM
I love brown and it would be a nostalgic reminder of the teenaged kicks era.

bit I’m afraid his time has gone. If he was interested in a coaching career I’d like to see him involved in our club somewhere though

MWHIBBIES
01-03-2021, 04:31 PM
Fair enough, if that’s your opinion, although even I who have only played team sport at a very low level have seen the value of leadership on the pitch. It’s difficult to define but easy to see the benefits.

As for wages, you don’t know how much Scott would ask for. As has been pointed out elsewhere, KT played for free for a while.

Also, Scott gave a portion of his agreed transfer to us when he left, so despite your views on him, he’s already given Hibs more cash than you or I have.

Yes, but how much leadership do you acutally need? And is it worth it to have, IMO, a liability on the pitch because he is a leader? The fact Gray hasn't featured this season says to me it isn't.

Brown is on big wages at Celtic, much bigger than Thomson would've been on at Boro and Thomson had been free for a while. Hibs couldn't afford to pay Thomson anything.

Thats great. Hes also celebrated a lot more goals against Hibs than you or I. Neither are really relevant.

ekhibee
01-03-2021, 04:47 PM

Totally agree, he was a brilliant player for Hibs and as you rightly said, gave a good chunk of his transfer fee back to the club (I think it was towards youth development), and whereas some people might dismiss that as irrelevant I certainly don't. Although I'm not and have never been a fan of Celtic, he's had a great career, and if he was willing to go to Hibs then I'd take him in an instant, even if it was only for a season.

IWasThere2016
01-03-2021, 04:53 PM

This :top marks .. we have lacked leadership on the park at times this season for example...

Smartie
01-03-2021, 08:41 PM
If he was coming back to play in the kind of team he first broke into then I’d say yes. With good runners all around him, maybe a wee bit naive and needing his experience I think he could still be an excellent player.

Whilst I don’t think we have a bad side it is a bit one paced, it already has a few elder statesmen and a few players permanently “coming back from injury”.

I think he’d be hung out to dry in our team.

So no.

Allez Hibs
01-03-2021, 08:46 PM
Would be paying a good wage to another player at the end of their career.