PDA

View Full Version : Doidge

AugustaHibs
27-02-2021, 03:41 PM
Surely time to take a seat on the bench for a few weeks. I like his work rate but he’s never a hibs level striker. Can’t have a number 9 who misses atleast 3 great chances every week

MWHIBBIES
27-02-2021, 03:43 PM
He doesn't miss 3 chances every week, just not true.

Also clearly shown he is a Hibs level striker (notice how he plays every week and Hibs are 3rd)

Having a bad patch of goalscoring form and a really rough day today. Where has Boyle been? Or Nisbet? Or the hero, leader solution to all problems McGregor?

No 1 player to blame for this today, all very poor.

we are hibs
27-02-2021, 03:45 PM

Also clearly shown he is a Hibs level striker (notice how he plays every week and Hibs are 3rd)

Having a bad patch of goalscoring form and a really rough day today. Where has Boyle been? Or Nisbet? Or the hero, leader solution to all problems McGregor?

No 1 player to blame for this today, all very poor.[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CentreLine
27-02-2021, 03:46 PM
Ball in the 6 yard box fir several seconds but not another Hibs player shows up in support of Doidge. What about our £3m man. Been missing since he came on

blackpoolhibs
27-02-2021, 03:46 PM
I've never rated him, he was fine when he went on his scoring run, but he's like a man short when he's not scoring in my opinion.

MWHIBBIES
27-02-2021, 03:47 PM
[emoji23]

For you, this is actually an eloquent post. Well done.

we are hibs
27-02-2021, 03:48 PM
For you, this is actually an eloquent post. Well done.You dont deserve to be taken seriously on here. Your posts are an embarrassment then you go greeting to mods about everyone "ganging up on you". A grown man too. You want to defend doidge, fine. But hes been rotten for weeks. And you're constant need to seek attention and dig out a hibs legend whos been fine up until today is pretty sad but predictable.

Phil MaGlass
27-02-2021, 03:49 PM
Doidge needs dropped, 12 games no goals, not good enuf for a striker.Fed up hearing what he gives to the team with his allround game, not good enuf.

Pretty Boy
27-02-2021, 03:50 PM
12 games no goals. Regardless of what else he is contributing it's time for a stint on the sidelines.

Nisbet has waited patiently and deserves another run now.

SlickShoes
27-02-2021, 03:51 PM
Who replaces him? Nisbet looks even worse at this point, he is so passive and is obviously struggling with football and maybe normal life as well since losing his dad. We just dont have many options when things don't work.

MWHIBBIES
27-02-2021, 03:53 PM
You dont deserve to be taken seriously on here. Your posts are an embarrassment then you go greeting to mods about everyone "ganging up on you". A grown man too

I have never once greeted to mods about people ''ganging up on me''. No idea why you've quoted that part because no one has ever said it.

Who is embarrassed by my posts? Certainly not myself. I literally just gave my opinion, no idea why you find it so offensive. You are the one embarrassing yourself on this thread so far.

Really couldn't care less if you took me seriously on not. Remember that time you called me a very offensive word then deleted it because you **** it :faf: now that was embarrassing.

AL-Qaholik
27-02-2021, 03:53 PM

He’s missed 3 very good chances.
His job is not to miss those.

Fergus52
27-02-2021, 03:54 PM
I've never rated him, he was fine when he went on his scoring run, but he's like a man short when he's not scoring in my opinion.

He's been very poor today but think that's pretty harsh.

I can't remember the last centre forward we had that wins as many headers as he does, he usually manages to find hibs players with the flick ons as well. His work rate, movement and link up play are all very good. He's effective as a hard working target man type even when he's not scoring. If he had technical ability and consistent finishing as well he'd be at a much better club than us. Hibs are never gonna have a perfect all round number 9.

Alfred E Newman
Who replaces him? Nisbet looks even worse at this point, he is so passive and is obviously struggling with football and maybe normal life as well since losing his dad. We just dont have many options when things don't work.

That's rubbish. How can Nisbet look worse? He has been parked on the bench for the last month or so.

MWHIBBIES

I agree. He's had an absolute mare today. So has everyone else.

chrisski33
27-02-2021, 03:55 PM
I have never once greeted to mods about people ''ganging up on me''. No idea why you've quoted that part because no one has ever said it.

Who is embarrassed by my posts? Certainly not myself. I literally just gave my opinion, no idea why you find it so offensive. You are the one embarrassing yourself on this thread so far.

Really couldn't care less if you took me seriously on not. Remember that time you called me a very offensive word then deleted it because you shat it :faf: now that was embarrassing.

You can't seriously say Doidge recent lack of goals isnt a concern and a spell on the bench may do him some good? Its not just today he hasnt performed well at all

Heisenberg
A starting striker not scoring for 12 games is a horrendous record. No hiding from it.

EVENTUALLY

You can fool some of the people some of the time........ You, Andy74 and Jack Ross have been mugged off. Everybody else knows he utter crap. Just accept it. Oh BTW only took Gullan 2 minutes to bang one in today.

blackpoolhibs
27-02-2021, 03:56 PM
He's been very poor today but think that's pretty harsh.

I can't remember the last centre forward we had that wins as many headers as he does, he usually manages to find hibs players with the flick ons as well. His work rate, movement and link up play are all very good. He's effective as a hard working target man type even when he's not scoring. If he had technical ability and consistent finishing as well he'd be at a much better club than us. Hibs are never gonna have a perfect all round number 9.

You must be getting players mixed up , as you are not talking about Doidge in my opinion.:confused:

tamig
27-02-2021, 03:57 PM
You can fool some of the people some of the time........ You, Andy74 and Jack Ross have been mugged off. Everybody else knows he utter crap. Just accept it. Oh BTW only took Gullan 2 minutes to bang one in today.

He’s not crap. He does a very good job up top. He does need a goal though as it must be chipping away at his confidence.

cabbageandribs1875
27-02-2021, 03:57 PM
he just needs a tap-in get on the goal trail again

flash
27-02-2021, 03:58 PM

He is beyond awful.

ekhibee

This.

MWHIBBIES
You can fool some of the people some of the time........ You, Andy74 and Jack Ross have been mugged off. Everybody else knows he utter crap. Just accept it. Oh BTW only took Gullan 2 minutes to bang one in today.Ah yes, the manager who has us 3rd. I'm quite happy to agree with him. Andy another who is capable of actually backing his points up with stats rather than ''hur dur, Doidge is crap''

What does Gullan have to do with it? Doidge is much better than Gullan currently is.

You can't seriously say Doidge recent lack of goals isnt a cincern and a spell on the bench may do him some good?

Definitely been poor today. Lack of goals yes but overall play was good before today. Contributed well to us winning tough games. Probably would swap him and Nisbet next week. Does that mean Doidge is suddenly hopeless and has nothing to contribute? Absolutely not.

Wakeyhibee
27-02-2021, 04:00 PM

Agree, I've cut him some slack for his work rate etc. But doesn't look like he's got what we need longer term. I dont think its confidence necessarily either.

Hibee Mac
27-02-2021, 04:00 PM
A few good points been made here. To me there is no doubt that he deserves to be dropped, right now he honestly looks like a centre half who's been chucked upfront with 5 mins to go.

That being said I have no doubt that when he is dropped, Nisbet will look completely lost up front as he does most weeks. He's another who needs to step it up big time.

I'm starting to worry that his scoring spree last year was a one off, ever since people have been saying he's a streaky player and he'll go on another one, but to be honest ever goal he scored in that streak was a sclaff and anyone who says any different is kidding themselves on haha. I found it funny when he was scoring every week but it's enfuriating now.

Bridge hibs
27-02-2021, 04:01 PM
A starting striker not scoring for 12 games is a horrendous record. No hiding from it.He was praised last week on this very forum as not scoring goals but contributing due to being a ****ing menace and supporting others. Now he is public enemy N01, unreal 😆

Fergus52
27-02-2021, 04:01 PM
You must be getting players mixed up , as you are not talking about Doidge in my opinion.:confused:

He has the most arial duals won per game of any player in the league, including centre backs :greengrin

maybe try actually watching what goes in in games mate

Alfred E Newman
27-02-2021, 04:02 PM
He’s not crap. He does a very good job up top. He does need a goal though as it must be chipping away at his confidence.

He puts himself about rumbling up defenders and conceding free kicks which is fair enoug but you could play Darren McGregoror or Porteous in there with more success.

MWHIBBIES
27-02-2021, 04:03 PM
A few good points been made here. To me there is no doubt that he deserves to be dropped, right now he honestly looks like a centre half who's been chucked upfront with 5 mins to go.

That being said I have no doubt that when he is dropped, Nisbet will look completely lost up front as he does most weeks. He's another who needs to step it up big time.

I'm starting to worry that his scoring spree last year was a one off, ever since people have been saying he's a streaky player and he'll go on another one, but to be honest ever goal he scored in that streak was a sclaff and anyone who says any different is kidding themselves on haha. I found it funny when he was scoring every week but it's enfuriating now.

A complete lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pkPMrLD9OQ

blackpoolhibs
He has the most arial duals won per game of any player in the league, including centre backs :greengrin

maybe try actually watching what goes in in games mate

That go to a Hibs player???????????:greengrin

Mr Grieves
Surely time to take a seat on the bench for a few weeks. I like his work rate but he’s never a hibs level striker. Can’t have a number 9 who misses atleast 3 great chances every week

Time to change your username

Bridge hibs
27-02-2021, 04:04 PM
He puts himself about rumbling up defenders and conceding free kicks which is fair enoug but you could play Darren McGregoror or Porteous in there with more success.
No you couldnt, you are just being silly now

1875Sean
27-02-2021, 04:05 PM

Agreed Nisbet looks like he can’t be bother, would still give him a run in the side over doidge

Heckys Wheel
27-02-2021, 04:06 PM
I like Doidge. I get he goes through streaks of scoring goals. I also get he offers a lot to the team when he’s not scoring. But why does he look so unsharp?

Fergus52
27-02-2021, 04:06 PM
That go to a Hibs player???????????:greengrin

well I'll give you it that none of them did today :greengrin

but in general I think his flick ons are good, no centre forward is gonna find someone with them every single time especially up against SPL centre halfs. In my memory Doidge usually does.

Bridge hibs
27-02-2021, 04:07 PM
Agreed Nisbet looks like he can’t be bother, would still give him a run in the side over doidgeNisbet cant be bothered but you would play him over a guy who works his arse off week in week out ? Thank **** we dont have you in charge 😆

EVENTUALLY
27-02-2021, 04:08 PM
Ah yes, the manager who has us 3rd. I'm quite happy to agree with him. Andy another who is capable of actually backing his points up with stats rather than ''hur dur, Doidge is crap''

What does Gullan have to do with it? Doidge is much better than Gullan currently is.

Definitely been poor today. Lack of goals yes but overall play was good before today. Contributed well to us winning tough games. Probably would swap him and Nisbet next week. Does that mean Doidge is suddenly hopeless and has nothing to contribute? Absolutely not.

You are joking. All he does is foul, complain, miskick, fall over and shake his bowed head. He knows he's crap - why don't you see it. Really its obvious.

Basildon Hibs

Same here. He's utter pish.

blackpoolhibs
well I'll give you it that none of them did today :greengrin

but in general I think his flick ons are good, no centre forward is gonna find someone with them every single time especially up against SPL centre halfs. In my memory Doidge usually does.

We will have to disagree, i just dont rate him. :wink:

MWHIBBIES
You are joking. All he does is foul, complain, miskick, fall over and shake his bowed head. He knows he's crap - why don't you see it. Really its obvious.

Why doesn't Jack Ross see it? I'm not joking at all. He's a good player in a rough patch of goalscoring form.

A Hi-Bee
27-02-2021, 04:09 PM
He is not the greatest but that is why he is still at Hibs, just the way it is.
:cb:grr::grr::grr::grr:

danhibees1875
27-02-2021, 04:10 PM
I like Doidge. He's not had a great day today and should have burried at least one, if not both, of those chances. I don't think he deserves to get singled out though - most of them had a bad day today.

Basildon Hibs
27-02-2021, 04:11 PM
I like Doidge. He's not had a great day today and should have burried at least one, if not both, of those chances. I don't think he deserves to get singled out though - most of them had a bad day today.

I do. It's his job to score goals. He cant do his job.

Simples.

Peevemor
27-02-2021, 04:14 PM
His first chance today wasn't a bad miss. He struck it well and got it on target from wide right but the keeper made a good save. Straight away we have some posting that he "needs dropped".

The second he should maybe have done better. He waited for the ball to come down, he volleyed it when at was still fairly high and the keeper saved - however he was only about a foot away from where Doidge connected so the angle was well narrowed.

He should definitely have done better with the header from the loose ball.

I still think a lot of the criticism is way OTT and, as others have said, Nisbet didn't look great either.

danhibees1875
27-02-2021, 04:18 PM

Simples.

If it's that simples would it not be the midfields job to create goals, they didn't, and defenders and keepers jobs to stop conceding them, they didn't. :dunno:

It wasn't a great game today for the team as a whole.

Smartie
27-02-2021, 04:19 PM
I’m losing patience with him.

That was garbage and on the back of a poor run without scoring, he’s going to have his work cut out staying in the team from a squad very short on strikers.

Any other season he’d have been dropped long before now and had a big job on his hands getting back in the team.

We need much more from him or he’s going to have to be top of the list of players needing replaced over the summer.

ehf
27-02-2021, 04:20 PM

:agree: You could pull 100 lads out of junior football in an instant that could do that.

A Hi-Bee
27-02-2021, 04:22 PM

You would have to say that he had a very bad day at the office today.
:cb

Magpie
27-02-2021, 04:22 PM
I’m losing patience with him.

That was garbage and on the back of a poor run without scoring, he’s going to have his work cut out staying in the team from a squad very shorton strikers.

Any other season he’d have been dropped long before now and had a big job on his hands getting back in the team.

We need much more from him or he’s going to have to be top of the list of players needing replaced over the summer.

This is where I’m at too.

Blaster
27-02-2021, 04:24 PM
He’s very good at hitting the keeper. Hits some of his shots higher than needed giving the keeper a better chance.

MrRobot
27-02-2021, 04:29 PM
A complete lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pkPMrLD9OQ

Literally the first minute of that 3 and a half minute video is him missing sitters.

hibIBZ
27-02-2021, 04:30 PM
Doidge looks a bit like he did when he first arrived when he couldn't buy a goal. His work rate has always been excellent, wins his headers, are ins the ball back, presses well. In front of goal he is looking down on confidence and getting frustrated. A crappy goal would do him a power of good to get going again, but a week on the bench might be needed. For me not our worst player today

Stevie Reid
27-02-2021, 04:32 PM
Absolutely love the big guy and he has a lot more to his game than goals. However, this has been a bad spell for him, missed a good few chances since he last scored a goal.

Hopefully can bag one soon and go on another run.

MWHIBBIES
27-02-2021, 04:32 PM
Literally the first minute of that 3 and a half minute video is him missing sitters.

I think that is the point. Watch the 10/12 goals he scores in the video. Maybe 3 ''sclaffs''

From 19 goals last season. 2 hatricks none of which were ''sclaffs''. Its just a rubbish argument.

1875Sean
27-02-2021, 04:34 PM
Nisbet cant be bothered but you would play him over a guy who works his arse off week in week out ? Thank **** we dont have you in charge 😆

You telling me you would keep laying doidge over Nisbet in this form? Thank **** we don’t have you in charge

jeffers
27-02-2021, 04:35 PM
I’m of a similar opinion to Blackpool. If we’d signed him this season I think the reaction to him would be totally different IMO, he’s getting a lot of leeway cos of his scoring run last season.

hibsbollah
27-02-2021, 04:35 PM

Agree with this.

HendoDelivered
27-02-2021, 04:37 PM
He’ll come good again of that I am sure.

green.oracle
27-02-2021, 04:38 PM

IMHO too. Afraid he's slower than a week in saughton which doesn't help.

He normally wins his fair share of high balls but didn't today. However, as others have said, he's long overdue a shot on the bench.

Huge disappointment for the supposed fee we paid for him.

:fuming::fuming:

wookie70
27-02-2021, 04:39 PM
This season he is scoring at a rate of a goal very 4.6 games and an assist ever 6.9.For reference Boyle is a goal every 3.8 and an assist every 3.8 and Nisbet a goal every 2.1 games and an assist every 5.4.

Interesting to read he wins lots of aerial battles, is there any stats on how many he wins going to a Hibs player. I just don't see him being very effective for the team or as a scorer. He doesn't take the ball in very often and is used almost as a battering ram but without someone running off him. He looks devoid of confidence to me, understandably. Quite a few have said how well Doig has been managed but I think Doidge has been played in the hope he scores and he is looking less likely to every week. He needed dropped weeks ago and we now have the unfortunate position where two strikers both look out of touch, out of confidence and seem to have lost the ability to score.

I will say I have to compliment Doidge on continuing to put himself in positions to succeed. Players like Holt and James Collins started to play further and further away from goal to avoid missing. He certainly has the bottle and the knack of getting in the right place(that is the hardest thing to find in a striker) but he needs a spell on the side lines to take the pressure of him.

I don't think he is as good as many on here think but he has shown he can be very useful. His and our biggest issue may be he has no competition for his place.

Hard to believe he played the full 90 today and for me Ross has to have a think about that as he missed another couple of brilliant chances and that will just pile the pressure on

Andy74
27-02-2021, 04:39 PM
Welcome back to a lot of posters we haven’t seen for a while.

Doidge didn’t have a very good game today, I don’t think anyone would argue with that.

Peevemor
27-02-2021, 04:40 PM
IMHO too. Afraid he's slower than a week in saughton which doesn't help.

He normally wins his fair share of high balls but didn't today. However, as others have said, he's long overdue a shot on the bench.

Huge disappointment for the supposed fee we paid for him.

:fuming::fuming:If he was that slow then he wouldn't have got on to the through ball for his first chance.

Folk having a go at him for missing 2 chances - is it normal that his team mates only presented him with 2 chances the entire match?

Smartie
27-02-2021, 04:41 PM
You telling me you would keep laying doidge over Nisbet in this form? Thank **** we don’t have you in charge

Has Nisbet shown any more than Doidge though?

They’re both currently looking like pish footballers who had a purple patch once, and tbh I’m interested in ways we can play that might involve neither of them playing - with a CH up front, a midfielder playing off Boyle or something like that.

We’re struggling to squeeze good players into the team elsewhere yet that pair look absolutely miles off it to me.

neil7908
27-02-2021, 04:43 PM
I was worried when we didn't add another striker in January and we're now in a tough spot. Doidge isn't doing enough but Nisbet has been equally off the pace when he's come on.

I'll be really frustrated if our lack of options up front costs us third this season. We invested in the squad but have a surfeit of midfielders kicking the or heels on the bench, but hardly any options up front to change things.

I'd be inclined to give Nisbet a try but we are limited in what we can do with the current squad.

neil7908
27-02-2021, 04:44 PM
Welcome back to a lot of posters we haven’t seen for a while.

Doidge didn’t have a very good game today, I don’t think anyone would argue with that.

Do you think he should be benched?

Smartie
It doesn’t sound to me like Alex Miller fancies him much.

And for all his faults, that’s a guy who had an eye for a player and brought plenty of very good players to Hibs.

1875Sean
Has Nisbet shown any more than Doidge though?

They’re both currently looking like pish footballers who had a purple patch once, and tbh I’m nrerested in ways we can play that might involve neither of them playing - with a CH up front, a midfielder playing off Boyle or something like that.

We’re struggling to squeeze good players into the team elsewhere yet that pair look absolutely miles off it to me.

For me Nisbet deserves a start, I don’t think you would see him playing 12 games without a goal

Stevie Reid
He is scoring at a rate of a goal very 4.6 games and an assist ever 6.9.For reference Boyle is a goal every 3.8 and an assist every 3.8 and Nisbet a goal every 2.1 games and an assist every 5.4.

Interesting to read he wins lots of aerial battles, is there any stats on how many he wins going to a Hibs player. I just don't see him being very effective for the team or as a scorer. He doesn't take the ball in very often and is used almost as a battering ram but without someone running off him. He looks devoid of confidence to me, understandably. Quite a few have said how well Doig has been managed but I think Doidge has been played in the hope he scores and he is looking less likely to every week. He needed dropped weeks ago and we now have the unfortunate position where two strikers both look out of touch, out of confidence and seem to have lost the ability to score.

I will say I have to compliment Doidge on continuing to put himself in positions to succeed. Players like Holt and James Collins started to play further and further away from goal to avoid missing. He certainly has the bottle and the knack of getting in the right place(that is the hardest thing to find in a striker) but he needs a spell on the side lines to take the pressure of him.

I don't think he is as good as many on here think but he has shown he can be very useful. His and our biggest issue may be he has no competition for his place.

Hard to believe he played the full 90 today and for me Ross has to have a think about that as he missed another couple of brilliant chances and that will just pile the pressure on

He’s scored 26 times in 72 appearances for us.

Nicho87
Always falls when hitting a shot. Every time - get rid

Peevemor
27-02-2021, 04:45 PM
Always falls when hitting a shot. Every time - get ridNo he doesn't.

Bridge hibs
27-02-2021, 04:48 PM
You telling me you would keep laying doidge over Nisbet in this form? Thank **** we don’t have you in chargeNo, I would play both of them, hows that Boss ?

Bridge hibs
27-02-2021, 04:49 PM
Always falls when hitting a shot. Every time - get ridWhy are you making things up 😆

Smartie
27-02-2021, 04:49 PM
For me Nisbet deserves a start, I don’t think you would see him playing 12 games without a goal

I don’t necessarily disagree fwiw.

And this is Nisbet’s first dip. Doidge has previous for barren runs.

If neither is scoring you’d argue Doidge brings more to the team.

But Nisbet is more likely to get you a goal, and whilst we weren’t carving Motherwell open at will, we did manage to create a few chances towards the end of the game that you’d expect decent strikers to make more of.

wookie70
27-02-2021, 04:50 PM
He’s scored 26 times in 72 appearances for us.

I was talking about this season, I have changed my post to make that clear. I doubt anyone an issue with his scoring record last year

SMAXXA
27-02-2021, 04:50 PM

Your one of the many that don’t see the all round work he does for the team then

Stevie Reid
27-02-2021, 04:52 PM
I was talking about this season, I have changed my post to make that clear. I doubt anyone an issue with his scoring record last year

Fair dos man. Just didn’t seem right when I first read it.

1875Sean
No, I would play both of them, hows that Boss ?

And drop Boyle or Cadden? You contradict yourself having a go saying Nisbet can’t be bother and then going on to say you would play him with Doidge :nlgw

A Hi-Bee

only as good as his next game, he needs to be scoring goals now not last year.
:cb

blackpoolhibs
27-02-2021, 04:53 PM
Your one of the many that don’t see the all round work he does for the team then

:agree:

Bridge hibs
27-02-2021, 05:01 PM
And drop Boyle or Cadden? You contradict yourself having a go saying Nisbet can’t be bother and then going on to say you would play him with Doidge :nlgwNo I didnt, I was quoting you !! Read it again, Im not having a go at Nisbet, you said Nisbet cant be bothered, jeezo, this place is full of daftys 😆

I think we should play both, neither have their shooting boots on just now but hopefully things will click, I like both, they bring something different

wookie70
27-02-2021, 05:04 PM

I am one of that group too. I actually think his strength is getting into positions. If he was as good a finisher as Nisbet he would score 20 every season. He needs to work on his finishing but it looks like it isn't natural to him. Perhaps he would benefit from a sports psychiatrist as if he could scored even 1 in 3 of the guilt edge chances he would be a very good player. As it is knocking the ball on to no-one in particular (trademark Cliff) and committing 4 or 5 fouls a game really isn't enough of a contribution.

You certainly can't fault our midfield and forward thinking players for a lack of chances created.

StockholmHibs
27-02-2021, 05:09 PM
Hibs can do so much better than Doidge. Just not working out at the moment. Poor guy needs a spell on the bench.

hibsbollah
27-02-2021, 05:12 PM
I am one of that group too. I actually think his strength is getting into positions. If he was as good a finisher as Nisbet he would score 20 every season. He needs to work on his finishing but it looks like it isn't natural to him. Perhaps he would benefit from a sports psychiatrist as if he could scored even 1 in 3 of the guilt edge chances he would be a very good player. As it is knocking the ball on to no-one in particular (trademark Cliff) and committing 4 or 5 fouls a game really isn't enough of a contribution.

You certainly can't fault our midfield and forward thinking players for a lack of chances created.

I disagree with you and think you undervalue his contributions, but you’ve provided a decent argument with stats to back it up so credit for that, it makes a change from some of the posts. His best attribute IS getting into positions, an underrated quality and it’s why he’s scored a decent amount of goals for us. He gets into positions that others don’t. If you listen to him he’s clearly picked up some of his positional nous from basketball, he’s said that himself.

He’s clearly going to be disappointed he hasn’t scored that late chance, I tend to agree a spell on the bench wouldn’t be the worst thing for him.

Billy Whizz
27-02-2021, 05:12 PM
Big man always gives 100%, and you feel for him at times
Needs taken out of starting line up, get his confidence back

Alfred E Newman
27-02-2021, 05:15 PM
Nisbet cant be bothered but you would play him over a guy who works his arse off week in week out ? Thank **** we dont have you in charge 😆

I would have worked my arse off week in and week out for Hibs but I would also have been absolutely hopeless. You're just being silly now. .

Andy74
27-02-2021, 05:21 PM
Hibs can do so much better than Doidge. Just not working out at the moment. Poor guy needs a spell on the bench.

Hibs traditionally can’t do much better than Doidge. I’m well up for it if there’s someone who can do what he does for the team and scores more goals available though.

Bridge hibs
27-02-2021, 05:22 PM
I would have worked my arse off week in and week out for Hibs but I would also have been absolutely hopeless. You're just being silly now. .Aye, lets play McGregor or Porteous up front, and Im being silly ? Away tae your bed man 😆

wookie70
27-02-2021, 05:24 PM
I disagree with you and think you undervalue his contributions, but you’ve provided a decent argument with stats to back it up so credit for that, it makes a change from some of the posts. His best attribute IS getting into positions, an underrated quality and it’s why he’s scored a decent amount of goals for us. He gets into positions that others don’t. If you listen to him he’s clearly picked up some of his positional nous from basketball, he’s said that himself.

He’s clearly going to be disappointed he hasn’t scored that late chance, I tend to agree a spell on the bench wouldn’t be the worst thing for him.

I said in one of my posts getting into positions is the hardest thing a striker can do. Doidge is excellent in that regard but in some ways that is a rod for his own back as he is a poor finisher imo. He keeps making the runs and getting in front of goals so has courage and drive, again two important attributes for a striker. I really am hard on Doidge but it is mostly because he has the attributes to make him an excellent player and is just missing something(chances usually). I know he is nothing like McCoist but he had the knack of sclaffing the ball or mi****ting it and it rolling into a corner. Doidge got that luck last year and it made him come alive not only in terms of goal but contribution. That luck has deserted him this year and his contribution and scoring record hasn't been as good as last year and not good enough to warrant a start for me.

Peevemor
27-02-2021, 05:31 PM

You certainly can't fault our midfield and forward thinking players for a lack of chances created.Sorry but I think you can.

Doidge is getting stick for missing 2 chances. Surely at home to Motherwell the team should have created more than 2 chances for him?

As for the midfield, Murphy needs to become more consistent. Apart from a 5 minute spell he was anonymous today

OstKurve Hibs
27-02-2021, 05:31 PM

This,

Hes never a striker a million years, a good few of the goals he has scored for us are pure luck, ball hittin of him etc. Lacks coordination and composure at crucial times way to often for my liking

Real Emerald
27-02-2021, 05:32 PM
If we do get third place there’s one thing for sure is that we need to add a striker and we need better than Doidge and Nisbet if we are to get any success. Apart from Griffiths I’ve no idea who but we need to try to get some quality striker (s) in. It won’t be easy though especially in the current climate but the possibility of a load of Euro games may just be the carrot we need to attract some.

Since452
27-02-2021, 05:35 PM
I like Doidge. He offers a lot but the guy is a striker and needs to start scoring. For me Kevin starts next week.

PaulSmith
27-02-2021, 05:37 PM
The least technical striker I’ve seen in many a year at Hibs.

No first touch. Can’t pass the ball and the most inept striker of a football I’ve seen

Add in the number of fouls and offsides which simply take the pressure of the defence then it’s fair to say I’m not, and never have been, a fan.

wookie70
27-02-2021, 05:38 PM
Sorry but I think you can.

Doidge is getting stick for missing 2 chances. Surely at home to Motherwell the team should have created more than 2 chances for him?

As for the midfield, Murphy needs to become more consistent. Apart from a 5 minute spell he was anonymous today

They created at least three. He fresh aired one and the Keeper saved two with the rebound being a missed header again from Doidge. There may have been more but those are the obvious ones. Most strikers would be delighted to have three very good chances put in front of them and that has been the case in quite a few games recently. I suspect we created far more and far better chances than Motherwell but they had strikers who stuck the ball away.

Peevemor
27-02-2021, 05:40 PM
They created at least three. He fresh aired one and the Keeper saved two with the rebound being a missed header again from Doidge. There may have been more but those are the obvious ones. Most strikers would be delighted to have three very good chances put in front of them and that has been the case in quite a few games recently. I suspect we created far more and far better chances than Motherwell but they had strikers who stuck the ball away.OK, and 2 out of 3 he got on target and drew good saves from their keeper.

B.H.F.C
27-02-2021, 05:41 PM
Sorry but I think you can.

I think Doidge is getting stick because it’s two and a bit months since he took any chance, rather than the fact he missed two today.

Peevemor
27-02-2021, 05:44 PM
I think Doidge is getting stuck because it’s two and a bit months since he took any chance, rather than the fact he missed two today.I understand that and it's hard not to agree, but some of the criticism is way over the top.

There were plenty other players who didn't perform well today yet Doidge merits his own thread?

Why not Murphy? Maybe because nobody noticed he was playing...

B.H.F.C
27-02-2021, 05:51 PM
I understand that and it's hard not to agree, but some of the criticism is way over the top.

There were plenty other players who didn't perform well today yet Doidge merits his own thread?

Everyone will get their fair share I’m sure. We’ve seen posts before wanting Murphy sent back to Rangers etc. Doidge needs dropped now. All the running around can’t make up for the complete lack of threat he offers.

basehibby
27-02-2021, 05:52 PM
Doidge has kept his place through his lean spell of late as the focal point in a 343 formation that's been working for us - but was showing signs of being sussed out last week v Hamilton until their namesake defender saw red.

Ross stuck with the same formation and it's hard to criticise him for that but maybe he missed a chance to shake things up. Motherwell are known to play 433 and that's how they started. I would have liked to have seen us start in a 442 (CM veteran speaking here ;) with Nisbet and Boyle up front - Boyle has been on blistering form but Doidge anything but. Ross rang the changes and we looked better 2nd half but it was all too little too late.

Greenbeard
27-02-2021, 05:52 PM
The least technical striker I’ve seen in many a year at Hibs.

No first touch. Can’t pass the ball and the most inept striker of a football I’ve seen for many a year.

Add in the number of fouls and offsides which simply take the pressure of the defence then it’s fair to say I’m not, and never have been, a fan.
He's a hoofball team's striker. Nisbet isn't firing on all cylinders but his first touch, lay-offs, speed and movement are far superior. I want to see him and Boyle racing onto through balls on the ground from Irvine/Newell/Allan. That is not Doidge's game.

Peevemor
27-02-2021, 05:53 PM
Everyone will get their fair share I’m sure. We’ve seen posts before wanting Murphy sent back to Rangers etc. Doidge needs dropped now. All the running around can’t make up for the complete lack of threat he offers.Sorry, but your last sentence is just daft.

B.H.F.C
27-02-2021, 05:57 PM
Sorry, but your last sentence is just daft.

You think he’s been a threat in the opposition box for the last however long? Cut the ‘daft’ pish out eh.

wookie70
27-02-2021, 05:57 PM
I understand that and it's hard not to agree, but some of the criticism is way over the top.

Murphy was poor again and got hooked early again. The manager is protecting him by not playing him when he is poor. Doidge, through no fault of his own, keeps getting nearly the full 90 minutes despite his lack of scoring and I'd argue lack of contribution. He has passed up so many chances in the last few months. Murphy got slaughtered for missing two chances in the semi if you remember but has actually done ok in terms of chances v goals in general.

I think poster like me don't rate his contribution and the lack of goals means he is playing poorly every week, for us at least. Most of the other players have the odd game or two off form and are hooked or start playing well again. For me Doidge has been poor for about 2 months and he wasn't brilliant before that.

I have no idea if Ross wants to drop him as we really haven't got another striker who is the target type and much of our play is down the wings and floating crosses in. Nisbet and Boyle both like to drift wide so not ideal when that appears to be the game plan.

Peevemor
27-02-2021, 06:00 PM
You think he’s been a threat in the opposition box for the last however long? Cut the ‘daft’ pish out eh.You speak about his "running about" and "complete lack of threat". For me ignoring the space he makes for others and his assists is daft.

B.H.F.C
27-02-2021, 06:03 PM
You speak about his "running about" and "complete lack of threat". For me ignoring the space he makes for others and his assists is daft.

He’s got even less assists than he has goals.

I’ve not ignored anything. He’s offering nowhere near enough for a number nine. He is totally lacking any threat in the opposition box at the moment.

Fully expect you’ll be policing the board calling out all the ‘dafties’ tonight though.

Peevemor
27-02-2021, 06:05 PM
Murphy was poor again and got hooked early again. The manager is protecting him by not playing him when he is poor. Doidge, through no fault of his own, keeps getting nearly the full 90 minutes despite his lack of scoring and I'd argue lack of contribution. He has passed up so many chances in the last few months. Murphy got slaughtered for missing two chances in the semi if you remember but has actually done ok in terms of chances v goals in general.

I think poster like me don't rate his contribution and the lack of goals means he is playing poorly every week, for us at least. Most of the other players have the odd game or two off form and are hooked or start playing well again. For me Doidge has been poor for about 2 months and he wasn't brilliant before that.

I have no idea if Ross wants to drop him as we really haven't got another striker who is the target type and much of our play is down the wings and floating crosses in. Nisbet and Boyle both like to drift wide so not ideal when that appears to be the game plan.

Your last paragraph explains a lot, which has been proven when Doidge hasn't played.

Peevemor
27-02-2021, 06:08 PM
He’s got even less assists than he has goals.

I’ve not ignored anything. He’s offering nowhere near enough for a number nine. He is totally lacking any threat in the opposition box at the moment.

Fully expect you’ll be policing the board calling out all the ‘dafties’ tonight though.You'll be disappointed then.

B.H.F.C
27-02-2021, 06:12 PM
You'll be disappointed then.

In Doidge, absolutely.

banchoryhibs
27-02-2021, 06:15 PM
I'd start Nisbet next week. Doidge may do a ton of work but surely his principal duty is to score goals. If he's tracking back to recover balls he obviously can't be in and around the box where he needs to be.

I'd also start with Gogic - he adds steel and that would compensate for Doidge's absence.

I'd also drop Murphy as I just don't see that his contributions warrant a starting place.

Jack can be very loyal to his starting 11 but perhaps needs to be a little more ruthless with those whose form has dipped.

Greenbeard
27-02-2021, 06:19 PM
I'd start Nisbet next week. Doidge may do a ton of work but surely his principal duty is to score goals. If he's tracking back to recover balls he obviously can't be in and around the box where he needs to be.

I'd also start with Gogic - he adds steel and that would compensate for Doidge's absence.

I'd also drop Murphy as I just don't see that his contributions warrant a starting place.

Jack can be very loyal to his starting 11 but perhaps needs to be a little more ruthless with those whose form has dipped.
:agree::agree::agree:

The Harp Awakes
27-02-2021, 06:40 PM
Big man always gives 100%, and you feel for him at times
Needs taken out of starting line up, get his confidence back

Yes Doidge is definitely lacking confidence. Needs a goal badly. Poor today but he's been battling away well in recent games.

CentreLine
27-02-2021, 06:47 PM
Just felt Doige was isolated today. Couldn’t understand why he didn’t have Boyle through the middle in support. Cadden and Murphy were available to provide the width and crosses. Don’t get the Boyle shift.

hibbydog
27-02-2021, 06:49 PM
Doidge’s qualities are his physicality and work rate. Both of which take next to no talent or technique.

I’m never confident he’ll score when he has the ball at his feet and time to think. And judging by his record, neither is he. Combination of a lack of composure and lack of ability.

Not enough skill or talent for me.

Surely we can do better.

Since90+2
27-02-2021, 06:52 PM
A striker who doesn't score goals or get assists is not someone you ideally have as a first choice striker. I actually think he is better suited to coming off the bench when we are trying to close a game out as he does work hard and can draw fouls ect.

Technically he is pretty poor and miles behind Nisbet who can score all types of goals.

wookie70
27-02-2021, 06:57 PM
Your last paragraph explains a lot, which has been proven when Doidge hasn't played. How do you work that out. He has only not featured in 2 league games. Those two were against the Uglies, a 2-2 and a narrow 1-0 defeat against The Thes. We have lost 8 games this season, Doidge has played in 7 of those only missing 34 minutes total play in the games we have lost. To be fair Nisbet has also played in most of those games too missing out only in the last month when Cadden and Irvine had a massive impact on our results

Viva_Palmeiras
27-02-2021, 06:57 PM

Username change on the cards then :)

Peevemor
27-02-2021, 07:04 PM
How do you work that out. He has only not featured in 2 league games. Those two were against the Uglies, a 2-2 and a narrow 1-0 defeat against The Thes. We have lost 8 games this season, Doidge has played in 7 of those only missing 34 minutes total play in the games we have lost. To be fair Nisbet has also played in most of those games too missing out only in the last month when Cadden and Irvine had a massive impact on our resultsAgain, typical of this place recently. Not everything is black or white - wins or losses. We've also drawn matches & even won when Doidge has come off the bench.

My opinion is that, without Doidge, Nisbet keeps dropping too deep or wide to collect the ball and if Boyle isn't getting any joy from the defenders (which was the case for a good while this season), we had almost zero threat in the box.

jeffers
27-02-2021, 07:25 PM
Again, typical of this place recently. Not everything is black or white - wins or losses. We've also drawn matches & even won when Doidge has come off the bench.

My opinion is that, without Doidge, Nisbet keeps dropping too deep or wide to collect the ball and if Boyle isn't getting any joy from the defenders (which was the case for a good while this season), we had almost zero threat in the box.

It was a different level and I genuinely have no idea, but did Nisbet play with a partner when he was banging them in with Raith and Dunfermline ?

Robbo6-2
27-02-2021, 07:31 PM
He tries his heart out. But sadly he is just sort of the quality we need in our starting 11.

Decent squad player and impact off bench but he should never play up top in front of nisbet

Peevemor
27-02-2021, 07:47 PM
He tries his heart out. But sadly he is just sort of the quality we need in our starting 11.

Decent squad player and impact off bench but he should never play up top in front of nisbet

Before today we'd won 4 on the trot with Doidge in & ahead of Nisbet.

Hibee Mac
27-02-2021, 08:16 PM
I think Doidge is a really likeable character, puts in a great shift whenever he's on the park.

That being said, I just don't think he has enough technical quality as a striker. I actually think some of his best work comes in our own box at corners etc.

It's a tough one as I've generally been a fan of his during his time here, and I think over the course others play better around him and with him in the team. He needs to start scoring again soon though as a striker who doesn't score is little use no matter how useful he is for the team.

ekhibee
27-02-2021, 08:30 PM
This season he is scoring at a rate of a goal very 4.6 games and an assist ever 6.9.For reference Boyle is a goal every 3.8 and an assist every 3.8 and Nisbet a goal every 2.1 games and an assist every 5.4.

Totally agree with all of that.

Tambo
28-02-2021, 11:13 AM
Was always going to be tough to replicate last season for Doidge but even still in my opinion he has been poor all season but we don't have any other options.

hibeejeebies
28-02-2021, 11:28 AM
It speaks volumes on a 5 page thread discussing the big man's contribution that no-one has questioned his effort or workrate.

Agree with most though that he's maybe lacking a bit of confidence in front of goal at the moment and it could be the right time to take him out the team for a bit.

Lack of depth in the striking department also playing its part.

FilipinoHibs
28-02-2021, 11:34 AM

When he was sliding through the angle was tight and he struck it well but goalie made a great save. A top sticker might have been more subtle and bent round and under the goalie.

Second one he was to close to the goalie when he got the ball and easy
to close down.

His hold up play and work off the ball has been great but not so yesterday.

MWHIBBIES
28-02-2021, 11:52 AM
It speaks volumes on a 5 page thread discussing the big man's contribution that no-one has questioned his effort or workrate.

Agree with most though that he's maybe lacking a bit of confidence in front of goal at the moment and it could be the right time to take him out the team for a bit.

Lack of depth in the striking department also playing its part.

People struggle to look at these things objectively. There is nothing wrong with saying he is in poor form but this whole ''hes crap, never a footballer, never good enough'' is just nonsense. Without his 19 goals last season we would've been in real trouble.

Peevemor
28-02-2021, 11:53 AM
People struggle to look at these things objectively. There is nothing wrong with saying he is in poor form but this whole ''hes crap, never a footballer, never good enough'' is just nonsense. Without his 19 goals last season we would've been in real trouble.Exactly.

loanheadhibby
28-02-2021, 07:46 PM
People struggle to look at these things objectively. There is nothing wrong with saying he is in poor form but this whole ''hes crap, never a footballer, never good enough'' is just nonsense. Without his 19 goals last season we would've been in real trouble.
Up to a point I admire you sticking up for Doidge but he is clearly not good enough and we are in trouble if we're pinning our hopes on him.I will come back on and apologise if he proves me wrong but sadly I doubt it.

MWHIBBIES
28-02-2021, 07:55 PM
Up to a point I admire you sticking up for Doidge but he is clearly not good enough and we are in trouble if we're pinning our hopes on him.I will come back on and apologise if he proves me wrong but sadly I doubt it.

What do you think about the manager who has us 3rd sticking by him? You act like I'm some lone wolf. The one who picks the team picks Doidge. How are we in trouble exactly? Is 3rd place suddenly trouble?

loanheadhibby
28-02-2021, 08:46 PM
What do you think about the manager who has us 3rd sticking by him? You act like I'm some lone wolf. The one who picks the team picks Doidge. How are we in trouble exactly? Is 3rd place suddenly trouble?
I'm really talking about going forward. Without Hearts in the league I firmly believe we should be 4th at worst. Realistically 3rd is the best we can be and I'm delighted that's where we are. If we are to improve as a team surely we need better than Doidge leading the line.

500miles
01-03-2021, 07:12 AM
I wonder if Doidge is missing the crowds more than some of the technically better players. His game is all about being in the right place at the right time, reacting to the break of the ball before the defender. Does he need that bit of adrenaline from an atmosphere to give him that edge?

It's difficult to find an explanation for such a dramatic drop off in form.

J-C
01-03-2021, 07:42 AM
I wonder if Doidge is missing the crowds more than some of the technically better players. His game is all about being in the right place at the right time, reacting to the break of the ball before the defender. Does he need that bit of adrenaline from an atmosphere to give him that edge?

It's difficult to find an explanation for such a dramatic drop off in form.

Crowds being there would probably make it worse as they'd very quickly get on his back and give him a some abuse, we've seen the ER crowds turn quite toxic at times.

Crunchie
01-03-2021, 07:59 AM
Was always going to be tough to replicate last season for Doidge but even still in my opinion he has been poor all season but we don't have any other options.
I think he has been poor in converting chances, his overall play has been pretty good imo.

happiehibbie
01-03-2021, 08:08 AM

Simples.

There is more to a center forwards role than you describe am sure JR will look at his stats and will then decide if he is doing what JR asks of him

lucky
01-03-2021, 08:18 AM
He’s a worker and creates space and time for others but he’s just not a finisher. JR has to decide if his contribution is enough to keep his place in the team as his misses are costing us.

MWHIBBIES
01-03-2021, 08:19 AM

Simples.

Maybe he isn't doing his job right now. His career shows he is very capable of scoring goals, though. No one at the club right now has more career goals.

jeffers
01-03-2021, 08:32 AM
He’s a worker and creates space and time for others but he’s just not a finisher. JR has to decide if his contribution is enough to keep his place in the team as his misses are costing us.

I’ve never been impressed by him, but I think your post is a very good summation.

JimBHibees
01-03-2021, 08:34 AM
Would be surprised if he didn't start Saturday given the opposition and their clear threat from set pieces.

Coco Bryce
01-03-2021, 09:11 AM
Maybe he isn't doing his job right now. His career shows he is very capable of scoring goals, though. No one at the club right now has more career goals.

Maybe so but in the now.

12 games without a goal is shocking. You can't defend that.

MWHIBBIES
01-03-2021, 09:13 AM

At no point have I defended that. Please read my posts before replying. I'm defending his overall quality and disagreeing with impulsive opinions like ''hes crap, never Hibs quality, never a footballer''

The part in the post you replied to that said ''maybe he isn't doing his job right now'' shows that I'm not defending his current goalscoring record. He does not have a good goalscoring record recently. His general play has still been good, until Saturday.

JimBHibees
01-03-2021, 09:14 AM
Maybe so but in the now.

Thought his second chance when the defender missed it was very poor and actually thought he should have scored the follow up header. That totally changes the game with 15 or so to go.

JimBHibees
01-03-2021, 09:16 AM
At no point have I defended that. Please read my posts before replying. I'm defending his overall quality and disagreeing with impulsive opinions like ''hes crap, never Hibs quality, never a footballer''

The part in the post you replied to that said ''maybe he isnt going his job right now'' shows that I'm not defending his current goalscoring record. He does not have a good goalscoring record recently. His general play has still been good, until Saturday.

Putting in big letters highlights the spelling mistakes :greengrin

Coco Bryce
01-03-2021, 09:16 AM

The part in the post you replied to that said ''maybe he isnt going his job right now'' shows that I'm not defending his current goalscoring record. He does not have a good goalscoring record recently. His general play has still been good, until Saturday.

That's why I edited it :greengrin

Maybe he should be GOING

MWHIBBIES
01-03-2021, 09:21 AM
Putting in big letters highlights the spelling mistakes :greengrin

dont no what ur talking abot :wink:

Highwayman
01-03-2021, 09:24 AM
Would be surprised if he didn't start Saturday given the opposition and their clear threat from set pieces.

Its all very well praising Doidge for his work rate and physicality buts that’s not his main job.
Its like paying a joiner to put up shelves in your back bedroom,and he paints the walls instead.He might make a decent job of it,but it’s not what you’re paying him for.
Hibs can’t seem to resist signing midfielders in the transfer window as was evident in January,ignoring the fact that cover was needed up front.Letting young Gullan go out on loan was also a rather strange decision.
IMO JR has to find some formation where he can start both the out of form in scoring strikers and get them playing through to an improved scoring rate.

Keith_M
01-03-2021, 09:26 AM
12 games no goals. Regardless of what else he is contributing it's time for a stint on the sidelines.

Nisbet has waited patiently and deserves another run now.

:agree:

I realise he contributes in other ways but his main job is scoring goals, which he's not done for months.

I've defended him before but this has gone on a bit too long.

JimBHibees
01-03-2021, 09:30 AM
Its all very well praising Doidge for his work rate and physicality buts that’s not his main job.
Its like paying a joiner to put up shelves in your back bedroom,and he paints the walls instead.He might make a decent job of it,but it’s not what you’re paying him for.
Hibs can’t seem to resist signing midfielders in the transfer window as was evident in January,ignoring the fact that cover was needed up front.Letting young Gullan go out on loan was also a rather strange decision.
IMO JR has to find some formation where he can start both the out of form in scoring strikers and get them playing through to an improved scoring rate.

Certainly is part of his job to help us defend corners. All very well saying drop him but if we then lose two goals to set pieces doesn't really make much sense.

Hermit Crab
01-03-2021, 12:32 PM
He's not good enough, some of his misses are akin to Sunday League stuff. Header in the game at Cove Rangers away for example.

Saturday, his fresh air swipe from 12 yards out in the 1st half was laughable and the 3 misses in the 2nd half were shocking.

Real Emerald
01-03-2021, 12:44 PM

The problem is we only have 2 recognised strikers and he’s one of them, the other was six months into a 4 year contract when he slapped in a transfer request and has never recovered. It’s very poor we have no back up, normally I would have heavily criticised the club for that but during the current situation money doesn’t grow on trees so there’s maybe not a lot they can do. We need more and better strikers full stop but we’re not alone in that.

Lago
01-03-2021, 03:25 PM
The problem is we only have 2 recognised strikers and he’s one of them, the other was six months into a 4 year contract when he slapped in a transfer request and has never recovered. It’s very poor we have no back up, normally I would have heavily criticised the club for that but during the current situation money doesn’t grow on trees so there’s maybe not a lot they can do. We need more and better strikers full stop but we’re not alone in that.
So we have a huffy striker & a non striking stringer, not going to be a lot of goals from those two.

Stuart93
01-03-2021, 03:38 PM
I’m still not seeing Nisbet being in the huff, came on on Saturday and looked to try get involved and make things happen.

Probably natural for a player who’s not starting games to be a bit disappointed looking. Definitely think we should start him on Saturday alongside Boyle and give doidge a wee break

Real Emerald
01-03-2021, 04:38 PM
So we have a huffy striker & a non striking stringer, not going to be a lot of goals from those two.

My point is that for whatever reason both our only two recognised strikers aren’t on form and it’s hard to drop them when we have no other strikers to call on. We need to hope they find some form and start scoring again. We also need to recruit in the summer especially with the prospect of European games which will stretch the squad even further.

Lago
01-03-2021, 06:18 PM
My point is that for whatever reason both our only two recognised strikers aren’t on form and it’s hard to drop them when we have no other strikers to call on. We need to hope they find some form and start scoring again. We also need to recruit in the summer especially with the prospect of European games which will stretch the squad even further.
Well we will certainly need to, one of our strikers will almost certainly be away having handed in a transfer request & the other probably the same if he doesn't start scoring goals, which is what he's paid to do.

JohnM1875
01-03-2021, 06:29 PM
Love Doidge and the effort he brings to the team. But he's in the team to score goals. No goals in 12 games or whatever it is for a striker is poor at any level and I'd be shocked if he starts again this Saturday.

Time to try Nisbet and Boyle.

Centre Hawf
01-03-2021, 06:37 PM
We were on a cracking run with Doidge in the team because of the stuff he brings to the side. His work rate his tremendous and he bring people into play.

But when the chips are down you get situations like the weekend where you are desperate for a goal and he's just not reliable enough to score a lot of these great chances. It's really hard to defend him when he misses two chances like he did on Saturday, and let's be honest he's missed plenty like that in his Hibs career.

Real Emerald
01-03-2021, 06:55 PM
Well we will certainly need to, one of our strikers will almost certainly be away having handed in a transfer request & the other probably the same if he doesn't start scoring goals, which is what he's paid to do.

I’m not so sure if Nisbet will be away, I really can’t see many teams splashing £m’s on him in his current form and Hibs won’t give him away. I hope we can bring in 1 or 2 strikers and make Nisbet hungry to play and score for Hibs again. He had his head turned at a bad time which will almost certainly rule him out of a possible Scotland call up and shop window. If this was advice he took from his agent, his agent needs binned.

Cabbie1875
01-03-2021, 07:15 PM
You can say what ye want about him, but he is rank rotten!!! Totally gash!!! How many times one on one wae the keeper????? Many has he scored one one one, zero, adsolute crap, get shot on him!!!

Hes last in the box when we have someine down the wing ready to put a ball in, one up front doesnt work and when hes the one up front, it definitely doesnt work!!!

Hes total ****, get him to ****

MWHIBBIES
01-03-2021, 07:31 PM
You can say what ye want about him, but he is rank rotten!!! Totally gash!!! How many times one on one wae the keeper????? Many has he scored one one one, zero, adsolute crap, get shot on him!!!

Hes last in the box when we have someine down the wing ready to put a ball in, one up front doesnt work and when hes the one up front, it definitely doesnt work!!!

Honestly don't know how posts like this are allowed. There is criticism then there is just abuse.

hibsbollah
01-03-2021, 07:53 PM

#BringSparkyHome

Hermit Crab
01-03-2021, 07:57 PM

I'm well known for my heavy criticism of Doidge but this is extreme.

JimBHibees
01-03-2021, 08:06 PM

Dear oh dear :faf:

J-C
01-03-2021, 08:21 PM

I'm no fan of Doidge but Jeez this is just way OTT.

jacomo
01-03-2021, 11:16 PM

This is the judgement any poster should fear!

:wink:

loanheadhibby
02-03-2021, 12:33 PM
Honestly don't know how posts like this are allowed. There is criticism then there is just abuse.

Why would it not be allowed? We've not moved to North Korea have we?

matty_f
02-03-2021, 12:49 PM
I can understand when the team is winning, the temptation to stick with a striker who isn't scoring goals (accepting that there is more to his role than simply putting the ball in the net.), the issue I have is that his scoring drought is so long now, that if you're a player waiting to get into the side (i.e Nisbet) then where's the incentive for you if, no matter what, Doidge is getting picked ahead of you.

Doidge did not have a good game on Saturday, he had 3 significant moments in the game to impact it and help us get a result. He's not to blame for us losing, but he did have a key role in it.

If you're a manager you can back the player and hope he plays through the lean spell and comes good, or you take him out the firing line and give someone else a go. At the moment, I think I'd be looking to Nisbet and giving him the opportunity.

hibsbollah
02-03-2021, 01:06 PM
I can understand when the team is winning, the temptation to stick with a striker who isn't scoring goals (accepting that there is more to his role than simply putting the ball in the net.), the issue I have is that his scoring drought is so long now, that if you're a player waiting to get into the side (i.e Nisbet) then where's the incentive for you if, no matter what, Doidge is getting picked ahead of you.

Doidge did not have a good game on Saturday, he had 3 significant moments in the game to impact it and help us get a result. He's not to blame for us losing, but he did have a key role in it.

If you're a manager you can back the player and hope he plays through the lean spell and comes good, or you take him out the firing line and give someone else a go. At the moment, I think I'd be looking to Nisbet and giving him the opportunity.

If you think Doidge is still contributing to the team (which I do) then you could also play Doidge AND Nisbet and use Boyle as an impact sub second half when the defenders legs are tiring, especially as St Johnstone will all be hungover. Then you’re backing both players. Makes sense to me.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2021, 01:09 PM
Why would it not be allowed? We've not moved to North Korea have we?

Why would abuse be allowed? Don't really understand the North Korea patter. If I was that abusive to someone on the street I would get lifted. Freedom of speech has never meant freedom to be abusive.

I respect the opinion of the admins and mods on here, but I'm sure they'd ever admit that post is borderline.

silverhibee
02-03-2021, 01:16 PM
We were on a cracking run with Doidge in the team because of the stuff he brings to the side. His work rate his tremendous and he bring people into play.

But when the chips are down you get situations like the weekend where you are desperate for a goal and he's just not reliable enough to score a lot of these great chances. It's really hard to defend him when he misses two chances like he did on Saturday, and let's be honest he's missed plenty like that in his Hibs career.

Could we not try Nisbet Doidge & Boyle upfront.

keep the faith
02-03-2021, 01:17 PM

Ridiculous post. Both untrue and with zero respect for one of our own players and someone who adds so much to the side.

matty_f
02-03-2021, 01:32 PM
Why would abuse be allowed? Don't really understand the North Korea patter. If I was that abusive to someone on the street I would get lifted. Freedom of speech has never meant freedom to be abusive.

I respect the opinion of the admins and mods on here, but I'm sure they'd ever admit that post is borderline.

Yeah, it is borderline and no, abuse isn't allowed.

A bit of respect goes a long way, we're all Hibs fans on here and I don't think anyone wants to see players getting abused on here.

Criticised is fine, abused is not.

Keith_M
02-03-2021, 01:33 PM

:top marks

You've just restored my faith in humanity.

:greengrin

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2021, 01:36 PM

A bit of respect goes a long way, we're all Hibs fans on here and I don't think anyone wants to see players getting abused on here.

:top marks

Vini1875
02-03-2021, 01:58 PM
Could we not try Nisbet Doidge & Boyle upfront.

I would go with this, but if it's not working we have nowhere to go. I think Doidge is required v St. J. because they are big at the back. I would play Doidge and Nisbet up front and have Allan on to vary the service from Cadden and Boyle.

Stuart93
02-03-2021, 02:11 PM
I would go with this, but if it's not working we have nowhere to go. I think Doidge is required v St. J. because they are big at the back. I would play Doidge and Nisbet up front and have Allan on to vary the service from Cadden and Boyle.

I think we need to try and adapt our attacking play, the only thing we tried to do vs Motherwell was hit the byline and cross or early crosses and nearly every one was met by a Motherwell head.

Still get the feeling we’re a bit slow and ponderous on the attack and it makes it obvious at times.

Onion
02-03-2021, 02:50 PM
Like Doidge as he's much more than a goalscorer but at this moment in time we need a front man who can put the ball in the net, and he's just not doing that. We have a £3M rated alternative sitting on the bench. In the scheme of things, not really a difficult decision for Jack Ross.

If JR perseveres with Doidge, he continues to fire blanks and we lose games, then blame moves squarely onto Jack Ross' shoulders. No striker is going to take himself out of the side.

ian cruise
02-03-2021, 03:19 PM
Doidge and Nisbet upfront in a two, neither works particularly well as a lone front man.

Bishop Hibee
02-03-2021, 03:25 PM
Doidge and Nisbet upfront in a two, neither works particularly well as a lone front man.

Agree. Drop Cadden and put Boyle on the right. McGinn plays better with Boyle in front of him cause he knows he's got cover when he goes forward. Get Gogic in for Newell, compete in midfield and then we can play.

Stuart93
02-03-2021, 03:42 PM
Agree. Drop Cadden and put Boyle on the right. McGinn plays better with Boyle in front of him cause he knows he's got cover when he goes forward. Get Gogic in for Newell, compete in midfield and then we can play.

You think? I’ve actually thought, when playing wide right, caddens been one of our best players since he came in. If we had a striker who could read his crosses we’d get a lot more goals

For me McGinns looked really poor recently, not sure if it’s cause he’s now playing at RCB or not

loanheadhibby
02-03-2021, 04:50 PM
Ridiculous post. Both untrue and with zero respect for one of our own players and someone who adds so much to the side.
It was perhaps a bit rough but what does he add to the side. It certainly aint goals which is his main job

Greenbeard
02-03-2021, 04:55 PM

Hmmm....I smell sh***.

loanheadhibby
02-03-2021, 05:23 PM

The guy is entitled to his opinion, same as you. We don’t have to agree with what he said, but this is a forum. I don’t personally think it was abuse. If it was abuse, I’m sure it would have been taken down by now so admins obviously don’t consider it abuse.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2021, 05:31 PM
The guy is entitled to his opinion, same as you. We don’t have to agree with what he said, but this is a forum. I don’t personally think it was abuse. If it was abuse, I’m sure it would have been taken down by now so admins obviously don’t consider it abuse.

Did you read the admins reply to me? Said it was borderline. Even Doidges biggest critics think its a bit too far.

Its nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing. If someone posted that about a player I disliked I would say the same thing.

jeffers
02-03-2021, 05:42 PM

Thought it was overly harsh and I’m no Doidge fan, not convinced it was abuse either.

Peevemor
02-03-2021, 05:44 PM
Thought it was overly harsh and I’m no Doidge fan, not convinced it was abuse either.There's nothing in the post that hasn't been said one line at a time in other posts, it's just in this instance they've all been lumped together.

jeffers
02-03-2021, 05:48 PM
There's nothing in the post that hasn't been said one line at a time in other posts, it's just in this instance they've all been lumped together.

Yes, I totally agree.

loanheadhibby
02-03-2021, 05:49 PM
Thought it was overly harsh and I’m no Doidge fan, not convinced it was abuse either.

It was harsh but I can guarantee there will be worse said when fans are back at Easter Road. It’s not abuse, if it was abuse it would have been taken down.

End of the day, Doidge’s main job is to score goals. He’s not delivering at the moment in scoring goals so some fans are not happy. Only Doidge can fix that by bagging a hat trick on Saturday.

Magpie
02-03-2021, 05:50 PM
It was harsh but I can guarantee there will be worse said when fans are back at Easter Road. It’s not abuse, if it was abuse it would have been taken down.

End of the day, Doidge’s main job is to score goals. He’s not delivering at the moment in scoring goals so some fans are not happy. Only Doidge can fix that by bagging a hat trick on Saturday.

Got one there before! 😄🤞

CMurdoch
02-03-2021, 06:29 PM

All the poster in question did was make a complete Richard Edward of themselves and then ran away.
Probably just pissed of with having to go back to school.

Hector Mudflap
05-03-2021, 12:44 PM
I don't think it's abuse - I would wager it's no worse than most of us have shouted at the TV. I have never been a fan of Doidge from day one - not ever. I can't even accept all the "what he brings to the team" chat. He's a striker who does not score goals. There's a reason no team came in for him and he didn't get a call up for Wales and it's probably summed up (pretty aggresivley, admittedly) by that poster but it doesn't remove the fact that he's "not that good". One on One with the keeper even last year how many people on this forum would have put their house on him to score? He simply doesn't and he probably needs away back to Forest Green. I'm sure he's a nice guy and he certainly comes across as one but he needs to be dropped or sold. As the poster said it just doesn't work with one up front and "doesn't work worse" when it's him! If we had a Jason Cummings along side a happy Nisbet or a 'dream of dreams' Sparky we would be second.

Andy74
05-03-2021, 01:14 PM
I don't think it's abuse - I would wager it's no worse than most of us have shouted at the TV. I have never been a fan of Doidge from day one - not ever. I can't even accept all the "what he brings to the team" chat. He's a striker who does not score goals. There's a reason no team came in for him and he didn't get a call up for Wales and it's probably summed up (pretty aggresivley, admittedly) by that poster but it doesn't remove the fact that he's "not that good". One on One with the keeper even last year how many people on this forum would have put their house on him to score? He simply doesn't and he probably needs away back to Forest Green. I'm sure he's a nice guy and he certainly comes across as one but he needs to be dropped or sold. As the poster said it just doesn't work with one up front and "doesn't work worse" when it's him! If we had a Jason Cummings along side a happy Nisbet or a 'dream of dreams' Sparky we would be second.

It was previously Kyle Lafferty you wanted to replace Doidge with...

MWHIBBIES
05-03-2021, 01:16 PM

He is a striker who currently isn't scoring goals. He has 133 career goals. For context. Jimmy O'Rourke got 122 for Hibs.

He can and has scored many, many goals.

Kato
05-03-2021, 01:54 PM
If we had a Jason Cummings along side a happy Nisbet or a 'dream of dreams' Sparky we would be second.

Possibly an extra 10 -15 more goals than we have already this season? You're probably right.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Kato
05-03-2021, 02:02 PM
He is a striker who currently isn't scoring goals. He has 133 career goals. For context. Jimmy O'Rourke got 122 for Hibs.

He can and has scored many, many goals.I don't see the context for re O'Rourke as was scoring at the top level throughout his time at Hibs but 133 is more than I would have thought.

Time to use Doidge from the bench for a few games. He can still cause teams problems and Nisbet needs blooded back in.

MWHIBBIES
05-03-2021, 02:05 PM
I don't see the context for re O'Rourke as was scoring at the top level throughout his time at Hibs but 133 is more than I would have thought.

Time to use Doidge from the bench for a few games. He can still cause teams problems and Nisbet needs blooded back in.

The context is that he scores a lot of goals, like O'Rourke did for Hibs. Doidge can only score against whats infront of him. He is undoutedly having a poor patch but his career speaks for itself.

hibsbollah
05-03-2021, 02:32 PM
All the poster in question did was make a complete Richard Edward of themselves and then ran away.
Probably just pissed of with having to go back to school.

It was Richard Gordon, trolling.

Fergus52
05-03-2021, 03:31 PM

Cummings and Nisbet would be a terrible partnership IMO.

Neither of them are good in the air and neither are particularly good at dribbling, passing and generally contributing in build up play - I've lost count of the amount of times Nisbet has lost the ball when coming deep this season, people say Doidge's first touch is bad but outside of the box Nisbet's is worse imo.

Our overall play would suffer, there'd be no point having two great finishers if the team wasn't creating any chances.

Doidge has been very poor in recent weeks and deserves to be dropped. Should definitely be looking to bring in a striker in the summer but I wouldn't be looking to sell Doidge. A team that often plays two up front should have 4 options each with different skillsets. As a battering ram target man type I don't think we'll do much better than Doidge. Even accounting for his poor finishing he's been much better than all our recent target men that I can think of: Matelevicius, Holt, Graham, Kuqi, Trakys etc. Farid was pretty good, but never fit.

Lancs Harp
05-03-2021, 05:01 PM
Cummings and Nisbet would be a terrible partnership IMO.

Neither of them are good in the air and neither are particularly good at dribbling, passing and generally contributing in build up play - I've lost count of the amount of times Nisbet has lost the ball when coming deep this season, people say Doidge's first touch is bad but outside of the box Nisbet's is worse imo.

Our overall play would suffer, there'd be no point having two great finishers if the team wasn't creating any chances.

Doidge has been very poor in recent weeks and deserves to be dropped. Should definitely be looking to bring in a striker in the summer but I wouldn't be looking to sell Doidge. A team that often plays two up front should have 4 options each with different skillsets. As a battering ram target man type I don't think we'll do much better than Doidge. Even accounting for his poor finishing he's been much better than all our recent target men that I can think of: Matelevicius, Holt, Graham, Kuqi, Trakys etc. Farid was pretty good, but never fit.

Not a fan of a big man upfront and I think that list helps in some way promote that particular POV. Its 2021 the game has moved on. You beat slow big bully boy defenders by playing around them and behind them not playing them at their own game in an aerial brawl. The vast majority of sides of successful teams these days don't play with an old fashioned big man up top playing off him. Ask any of our defenders what they would rather face, the proverbial big man or skilful speedy players. Speed terrifies most defenders.

Andy74
05-03-2021, 06:19 PM
Not a fan of a big man upfront and I think that list helps in some way promote that particular POV. Its 2021 the game has moved on. You beat slow big bully boy defenders by playing around them and behind them not playing them at their own game in an aerial brawl. The vast majority of sides of successful teams these days don't play with an old fashioned big man up top playing off him. Ask any of our defenders what they would rather face, the proverbial big man or skilful speedy players. Speed terrifies most defenders.

All very interesting but we don't just play the ball up to a big guy (who is the same size of Nisbet) He also scored a load of goals last season and the way we are playing has us in 3rd place.

He's the same height as Lewandowski and shorter than Ronaldo, Harry Kane, Calvert-Lewin, Aubameyang.

Kato
05-03-2021, 06:40 PM
The context is that he scores a lot of goals, like O'Rourke did for Hibs. Doidge can only score against whats infront of him. He is undoutedly having a poor patch but his career speaks for itself.

My point was I doubt he would have scored as many what was in front of O'Rourke. A better context would be Brewster or Nish.

Hector Mudflap
05-03-2021, 06:47 PM
My point was I doubt he would have scored as many what was in front of O'Rourke. A better context would be Brewster or Nish.

Yep Nish was about the same level as Doidge - dog muck
But it's all about opinions and thats all good. I would like to see Sparky back and up front with Niz but exciting driving players make me want to watch games and Cummings for me was that type of guy. We have two big hulking forwards who IMHO only one can score. I would be letting Doidge go and trying like a bear to get a zippy wee guy.

like maybe Adam Le Fondre.

Fergus52
05-03-2021, 07:01 PM

Generally I'm the same, but having a striker as good in the air as Doidge is always useful in the Scottish league, even if they aren't starting every week.

He's been poor in recent weeks but I think he's shown enough in his time here overall to not warrant just being punted for the sake of it, unless we can make profit on the fee we paid.

I know some posters don't see it but I think we usually look better as a team in the final third when he is on the pitch - his arial ability and good chest control means there's always an out ball when the defence is under pressure, his work rate means the opposition CBs never have time on the ball, and his movement around the box is good as well which opens up space for our other forwards. Boyle and Nisbet both look better when Doidge is playing IMO, don't think we've looked as good whenever Nisbet has been up front by himself or they have partnered each other.

JammyDoidger
05-03-2021, 07:03 PM
Generally I'm the same, but having a striker as good in the air as Doidge is always useful in the Scottish league, even if they aren't starting every week.

He's been poor in recent weeks but I think he's shown enough in his time here overall to not warrant just being punted for the sake of it, unless we can make profit on the fee we paid.

I know some posters don't see it but I think we usually look better as a team in the final third when he is on the pitch - his arial ability and good chest control means there's always an out ball when the defence is under pressure, his work rate means the opposition CBs never have time on the ball, and his movement around the box is good as well which opens up space for our other forwards. Boyle and Nisbet both look better when Doidge is playing IMO, don't think we've looked as good whenever Nisbet has been up front by himself or they have partnered each other.

Agree, doidge is one of the first names on the team sheet for me. It would be doidge and one other. A lot more effective.

RoYO!
05-03-2021, 07:39 PM
He wins his fair share in the air, tho I'm always a bit sceptical about the value of this.

Doige's worst enemy is thinking time. I think his instincts are very good. Give him time to look up or to consider his surroundings he's dire. He's prone to scoring streaks so hopefully he hits that at a key point.

HoboHarry
05-03-2021, 08:11 PM
Yep Nish was about the same level as Doidge - dog muck
But it's all about opinions and thats all good. I would like to see Sparky back and up front with Niz but exciting driving players make me want to watch games and Cummings for me was that type of guy. We have two big hulking forwards who IMHO only one can score. I would be letting Doidge go and trying like a bear to get a zippy wee guy.

like maybe Adam Le Fondre.
Yes, we'll just turn a blind eye to the fact that Nish is 10th on the list of all time SPL goalscorers between 1998 and 2018....

Lancs Harp
05-03-2021, 08:24 PM
All very interesting but we don't just play the ball up to a big guy (who is the same size of Nisbet) He also scored a load of goals last season and the way we are playing has us in 3rd place.

He's the same height as Lewandowski and shorter than Ronaldo, Harry Kane, Calvert-Lewin, Aubameyang.

Well thanks for the height stats Andy but I think you misunderstand my post. Its not necessarily about the physical height but about the the style employed playing a robust but limited striker. The best football Ive seen Hibs play in recent years didnt have a big man upfront ie the Cup winning season when although a championship season we beat all and sundry. Im just not a big man upfront fan and never will be. For me play thru midfield with exciting mobile and quick strikers up front. I appreciate Doidge's hard work but I think he would be the first to say his ability is limited, having done his best work for Forest Green in League 2 this is the height of his career.

J-C
05-03-2021, 09:30 PM
Well thanks for the height stats Andy but I think you misunderstand my post. Its not necessarily about the physical height but about the the style employed playing a robust but limited striker. The best football Ive seen Hibs play in recent years didnt have a big man upfront ie the Cup winning season when although a championship season we beat all and sundry. Im just not a big man upfront fan and never will be. For me play thru midfield with exciting mobile and quick strikers up front. I appreciate Doidge's hard work but I think he would be the first to say his ability is limited, having done his best work for Forest Green in League 2 this is the height of his career.

The cup winning team had Stokes and Cummings, neither big and strong, move on a year and we had to suffer watching Holt and the horrendous football we won the championship with. Give me technical skilful players any day.

Allant1981
06-03-2021, 07:31 AM
Doidge is no where near as bad as some on here make out, the guy is not scoring just now and ultimately that's what he will be judged on, but he brings so much more to the team than just goals. There's a reason that Jack Ross plays him almost every single week. Hopefully he starts scoring soon and puts the doubters at bay again(for a wee while)

B.H.F.C
06-03-2021, 07:44 AM
Doidge is no where near as bad as some on here make out, the guy is not scoring just now and ultimately that's what he will be judged on, but he brings so much more to the team than just goals. There's a reason that Jack Ross plays him almost every single week. Hopefully he starts scoring soon and puts the doubters at bay again(for a wee while)

I don’t think he’s solely judged on goals. Many people just don’t see all the other things that are talked about as being as effective as others do. I don’t think all these other things are totally ineffective all the time, but we need more than that from outnumber 9 at times.

It’s not just been a wee spell where he’s been struggling for goals, six goals this season is a very poor return.

jeffers
06-03-2021, 08:34 AM

Equally he’s nowhere near as good as some on here make out and few brings much less to the team than they would have you believe. He’s got 6 goals in 34 games this season. For a striker that’s a dreadful record. It doesn’t matter what he did last season, this season he has been poor and there are not many games left for him to turn it around. I’ve said it before but he gets a lot of leeway based on his goals from last season. If we’d signed him in the summer he’d be getting absolutely slaughtered (and rightly so)

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2021, 09:18 AM
The cup winning team had Stokes and Cummings, neither big and strong, move on a year and we had to suffer watching Holt and the horrendous football we won the championship with. Give me technical skilful players any day.

Strange because Holt is by far the best player of those 3.

Allant1981
06-03-2021, 09:23 AM
Equally he’s nowhere near as good as some on here make out and few brings much less to the team than they would have you believe. He’s got 6 goals in 34 games this season. For a striker that’s a dreadful record. It doesn’t matter what he did last season, this season he has been poor and there are not many games left for him to turn it around. I’ve said it before but he gets a lot of leeway based on his goals from last season. If we’d signed him in the summer he’d be getting absolutely slaughtered (and rightly so)

Yip his goal scoring record is poor this season, and as I say this is what he will get judged on by a lot of people, not his around play which is ok, personally I think he is a decent enough player at this level who just needs a goal or 2 to get back into the swing of it

Fergus52
06-03-2021, 09:38 AM

Definitely a poor goal return but I wouldn't go as far as 'dreadful'. On your logic most strikers in the league outside of the old firm have a dreadful record this season.

Have seen posters calling for us to sign Ross Stewart, Kabamba, Tony Watt, Obika, McNulty at various times, all of whom have a similiar or worse scoring record to Doidge this season.

Even Shankland's isn't much better.

hibsbollah
06-03-2021, 10:04 AM

By the same measure he got 12 in 28 last season, which is almost 1 in every 2 league games, a strike rate nobody’s going to sniff at. You can manipulate stats any way you want.

jeffers
06-03-2021, 10:16 AM
Definitely a poor goal return but I wouldn't go as far as 'dreadful'. On your logic most strikers in the league outside of the old firm have a dreadful record this season.

Have seen posters calling for us to sign Ross Stewart, Kabamba, Tony Watt, Obika, McNulty at various times, all of whom have a similiar or worse scoring record to Doidge this season.

Even Shankland's isn't much better.

I can’t comment on those other strikers given I’ve seen very little of them. However I have seen Doidge every game this season and we’ve created numerous chances for him, which he invariably misses. And while no striker takes every chance they get he’s missed far more than he should have imo.

jeffers
06-03-2021, 10:18 AM
By the same measure he got 12 in 28 last season, which is almost 1 in every 2 league games, a strike rate nobody’s going to sniff at. You can manipulate stats any way you want.

Like I said I’m talking about this season, not last. This season he’s been poor and his goals return nowhere near good enough given the chances he’s had.

Wakeyhibee
06-03-2021, 10:28 AM
Regardless of what I think, I hope if he plays today, he gets a goal (another hat trick would be nice). He's here for this season at the least and we need him to turn a corner, boost his confidence in our bid to get 3rd.

Allant1981
06-03-2021, 10:31 AM
Like I said I’m talking about this season, not last. This season he’s been poor and his goals return nowhere near good enough given the chances he’s had.

His goal return hasn't been great but he has generally played well but appreciate his main job is to score goals

B.H.F.C
06-03-2021, 10:32 AM

Not in terms of his contribution in a Hibs jersey, he wasn’t.

jeffers
06-03-2021, 10:36 AM
His goal return hasn't been great but he has generally played well but appreciate his main job is to score goals

I suppose that’s where there is a big differing of opinion. I don’t think the rest of his game brings enough to the team, but I accept that others do.

Allant1981
06-03-2021, 10:40 AM
I suppose that’s where there is a big differing of opinion. I don’t think the rest of his game brings enough to the team, but I accept that others do.

If we all had the same opinion the world would be a boring place!! At the end of the day as long as we win I'm not really fussed who scores

jeffers
06-03-2021, 10:49 AM
If we all had the same opinion the world would be a boring place!! At the end of the day as long as we win I'm not really fussed who scores

Absolutely

CMurdoch
06-03-2021, 10:49 AM
Doidge didn't play in the Semi Final and lo and behold Rooney and Kerr both helped themselves to headed set piece goals. Messrs Nisbet, Porteous and Hanlon were insufficient to stop them. I reckon the addition of Doidge and McGregor that day would have busted that aerial threat. Hopefully all 5 play today.

P.S. Rooney scored an identical headed goal against Livingston following the Semi Final and then scored the winner in last week's final ......with another header. Best play Doidge me thinks.

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2021, 11:05 AM
Not in terms of his contribution in a Hibs jersey, he wasn’t.

No. But his career is significantly better than the other 2. And at 35, was solid for Us. At 32 Stokes is clubless.

Stanton Spence
06-03-2021, 11:13 AM
Strange because Holt is by far the best player of those 3.What's strange about it when you know that Holt best football was well behind by the time he arrived up at Easter Road?
Stokes and Cummings were both better players for hibs than Holt ever was.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2021, 11:16 AM
What's strange about it when you know that Holt best football was well behind by the time he arrived up at Easter Road?
Stokes and Cummings were both better players for hibs than Holt ever was.

Because if I could take any of them for Hibs at their best, its holt easily. Stokes and Cummings were much younger and Holt was past his best, that makes it a stange comparison. Try Stokes and Cummings vs Mixu or Killen.

Stokes in his second spell in the championship, cup final aside, wasn't much better than Holt. Probably a good bit worse overall.

Stanton Spence
06-03-2021, 11:25 AM
Because if I could take any of them for Hibs at their best, its holt easily. Stokes and Cummings were much younger and Holt was past his best, that makes it a stange comparison. Try Stokes and Cummings vs Mixu or Killen.

Stokes in his second spell in the championship, cup final aside, wasn't much better than Holt. Probably a good bit worse overall.I would have Holt at his best also but he wasn't anywhere near his best. So it's hardly surprising that Stokes and Cummings were both better players for hibs than Holt was

1van Sprou7e
06-03-2021, 11:32 AM
I would have Holt at his best also but he wasn't anywhere near his best. So it's hardly surprising that Stokes and Cummings were both better players for hibs than Holt was

In the championship at least, Holt was undoubtedly better for us than Stokes

wookie70
06-03-2021, 11:56 AM
Strange because Holt is by far the best player of those 3. Maybe earlier in his career but not at Hibs

Lancs Harp
06-03-2021, 12:27 PM
Maybe earlier in his career but not at Hibs

I wouldnt even say earlier in his career. I'd put what Stokes achieved at Celtic above anything Holt did at Norwich which was the height of both players careers (apart from the obvious day in May 2016 for Stoksey)

Crunchie
06-03-2021, 12:30 PM
The big man's missed a few sitters of late, I'm backing him to come good with a brace today :flag:

blackpoolhibs
06-03-2021, 01:54 PM

Aye, and i'm slimmer of the year.

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Aye, and i'm slimmer of the year.

You think Stokes was a better player than Holt over their careers? Have to disagree. Stokes can only sit and watch the level Holt played at.

villahibs
06-03-2021, 02:31 PM
Getting nothing from the full backs. McGinn hasn’t found a Hibs player for weeks. People can say what they like about the potential of Doig, he’s nowhere near ready.

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2021, 02:32 PM
Getting nothing from the full backs. McGinn hasn’t found a Hibs player for weeks. People can say what they like about the potential of Doig, he’s nowhere near ready.

Nowhere near ready for what though? Playing every week for a 3rd place side, looks pretty ready.

hibsbollah
06-03-2021, 02:52 PM
Missing the big mans presence today :tsk tsk:

Hector Mudflap
06-03-2021, 06:45 PM
It was previously Kyle Lafferty you wanted to replace Doidge with...
Your point is what? I don't think Doidge is a great player and if you're asking me if I think Lafferty is better player than Doidge then my answer is yes without doubt. It's my opinion which should be worth the same as yours unless you are some secret ex premiership manager? (your Xbox is not included)

Hector Mudflap
06-03-2021, 07:08 PM
Yes, we'll just turn a blind eye to the fact that Nish is 10th on the list of all time SPL goalscorers between 1998 and 2018....

You probably should ,

Nish scored 64 goals as that "all time record tenth" in 267 premier league games - which is hardly prolific unless I mis-interpret the word. So what's that .023 a game? A better way to gloss the figures is to say Nish was the number one all time top scorer in the Premier league who was called Colin. In his total career it was 0.22 but "let us not math cloud a story".

I wasn't a fan of Nish
It's just an opinion and yours is just as valid. I have watched a lot of crud at ER over many years and right now I believe overall we are pretty dire to watch. Doidge doesn't excite and doesn't score goals.

B.H.F.C
06-03-2021, 07:08 PM
You think Stokes was a better player than Holt over their careers? Have to disagree. Stokes can only sit and watch the level Holt played at.

Without getting anywhere near fulfilling his potential Stokes won things and played in the Champions League.

Holt spent most of his career in the lower leagues with a good season in the Premier League that came from nowhere, having spent most of his career in the lower leagues.

Jones28
06-03-2021, 07:10 PM
Did well today, we were much improved when he came on.

JohnM1875
06-03-2021, 07:10 PM
Without getting anywhere near fulfilling his potential Stokes won things and played in the Champions League.

Holt spent most of his career in the lower leagues with a good season in the Premier League that came from nowhere, having spent most of his career in the lower leagues.

Stokes was a much better player than Grant Holt was. Bizarre it's even being questioned.

Hector Mudflap
06-03-2021, 07:25 PM

He can and has scored many, many goals.

O'Rourkes goals per game record is .41 or twice that of Doidge. I am not a football manager and have no expertise but IMHO its the reason even when he was scoring goals last year he did not get a call up- he just not that good. He has squander4d and absolute barrowload of chances the team has created. We desperately need a striker that actually scores.