PDA

View Full Version : Peter Lorimer

Greenbeard
26-02-2021, 07:52 PM
No Hibs connection to my knowledge, except in opposition, but a Scotland player I always admired. BBC reporting that he is “very ill in a hospice with a long term illness”. 74 just. Sad.

cabbageandribs1875
26-02-2021, 08:01 PM
yeah read that earlier :( what a shot he had on him, i'm positive some group thing in the 70's done some tests on the power of his shots with one getting measured at 107mph...boom

FilipinoHibs
26-02-2021, 08:03 PM
Very sad. Part of my early 70s upbringing and a great Scottish player to.

kaimendhibs
26-02-2021, 08:08 PM
Brain Cancer apparently, with weeks left. So very sad

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
26-02-2021, 08:11 PM
Known as the hardest shot in football in my youth. If you hit a piledriver it was a "Peter Lorimer" and that's in England.

He has my best wishes.

I guess I'm reaching an age like many of us on here when so many players we held in great esteem or have great memories of are falling by the wayside or becoming ill or suffering other health issues.

Greenbeard
26-02-2021, 08:18 PM
Broke my big toe trying a Lorimer special in the back garden after the Zaire game in 74 due to a half hidden buried brick under the ball.

Mick O'Rourke
26-02-2021, 08:19 PM
Very sad to hear

Jimmy O'Rourke was in the same Scottish Schoolboys team as Peter.
In fact,they were both in Manchester with their Dads the day Peter signed for Leeds.
They were in Manchester at the invite of Matt Busby who wanted to sign them both.
Leeds reps nipped in and got Peter.

Jimmy chose Hibs over a bunch of top English clubs !!

Lancs Harp
26-02-2021, 08:26 PM
Broke my big toe trying a Lorimer special in the back garden after the Zaire game in 74 due to a half hidden buried brick under the ball.

:greengrin Sorry mate must have hurt, but made me laugh.

Greenbeard
26-02-2021, 08:37 PM
:greengrin Sorry mate must have hurt, but made me laugh.

Was a Friday evening. Meant to be running the next day at the Scottish Schools Athletics Champs. Greeting x2.

Lancs Harp
26-02-2021, 08:40 PM
Was a Friday evening. Meant to be running the next day at the Scottish Schools Athletics Champs. Greeting x2.

Seriously ouch. Dont tell me a kid called Alan Wells took your place and the rest is history?:wink:

PatHead
26-02-2021, 09:38 PM
A real legend of the game. His shot was meant to be the hardest in the game.
Sad all these players are passing on.

Kato
26-02-2021, 10:06 PM
A real legend of the game. His shot was meant to be the hardest in the game.
Sad all these players are passing on.

Took a pen that measured over 100 mph - scary.

Forza Fred
27-02-2021, 05:57 AM
Very sad to hear

In fact,they were both in Manchester with their Dads the day Peter signed for Leeds.
They were in Manchester at the invite of Matt Busby who wanted to sign them both.

That’s why he is one of our own!

Phil MaGlass
27-02-2021, 06:01 AM
I remember when I was a kid maaany moons ago, sometimes when I was taking a shot at a goalkeeper I would scream Peter Lorimer before smashing it at the keeper, great days.

The Count
27-02-2021, 06:21 AM
Lorimer was in my subbuteo team in the early 70s along with Best,Law, Cormack etc.Sadly not many of my team left now.For some reason Fitzpatrick was my centre half.

zitelli62
27-02-2021, 07:44 AM
Known as the hardest shot in football in my youth. If you hit a piledriver it was a "Peter Lorimer" and that's in England.

He has my best wishes.

I guess I'm reaching an age like many of us on here when so many players we held in great esteem or have great memories of are falling by the wayside or becoming ill or suffering other health issues.

Correct were getting to that age when lots of our heroes from the 70s are getting Ill or dying sad times
As the old saying goes I get invited to more funerals than weddings these days.

O'Rourke3
27-02-2021, 09:26 PM
Took a pen that measured over 100 mph - scary.Not against us at Easter Road. McArthur dived over it.
Loved his goal againt Zaire, so much promise at the start of that campaign. Sad to hear of another great undergoing serious illness.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
01-03-2021, 10:25 AM
Lorimer was in my subbuteo team in the early 70s along with Best,Law, Cormack etc.Sadly not many of my team left now.For some reason Fitzpatrick was my centre half.

The scruffy looking JohnFitzpatrick at Man Utd?
He died in December :confused:

John was Man Utd's first ever sub

Ray_
01-03-2021, 10:37 AM
Greatly respected as one of Leeds great Scots when they were the best team in England.

Like his team mate, Billy Bremner, there was transfer speculation in the sixties, in this case it was that Leeds offered cash plus Peter Lorimer for Peter Cormack, an amount that would have dwarfed the 80K that we eventually got from Forest. He was reported to be the hardest shot in Britain in his day.

Thoughts with Peter and his family.

Sir David Gray
20-03-2021, 09:17 AM
Passed away this morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56234156

PatHead
20-03-2021, 09:20 AM
RIP. A real hero of my childhood.

Greenbeard
20-03-2021, 11:01 AM
Very sad. Amazed to read his senior debut for Leeds was when still well shy of his 16th birthday. Imagine a 15 year-old up against some of the hatchet men teams had back in the 60s. Tough kid.

The Baldmans Comb
20-03-2021, 11:13 AM
Lorimer claimed in his autobiography and in subsequent interviews that the Hibs v Leeds match of 1973 was a match fixing game.

Revie tipped the wink and Lorimer and some of the "lads" bet on Hibs to win but not all the team were in on it.

I always thought he was just trying to sell his book but was surprised he kept up the story in later interviews.

I never bought into the "match fixing" but maybe "not to bothered" if we lose is more accurate.

cabbageandribs1875
20-03-2021, 11:47 AM
sad news, a Leeds great, a Scottish Leeds great

RIP peter lorimer :(

Kato
20-03-2021, 11:54 AM
Lorimer claimed in his autobiography and in subsequent interviews that the Hibs v Leeds match of 1973 was a match fixing game.

Revie tipped the wink and Lorimer and some of the "lads" bet on Hibs to win but not all the team were in on it.

I always thought he was just trying to sell his book but was surprised he kept up the story in later interviews.

I never bought into the "match fixing" but maybe "not to bothered" if we lose is more accurate.

It doesn't square with the great defensive performance Leeds put in at ER.

Hibernia&Alba
20-03-2021, 11:56 AM
Before my time as a player, but a famous name as part of the great Leeds side of the early seventies and one of Scotland's best. Sad news.

Roxyhibee
20-03-2021, 01:07 PM
Very sad news, especially for my generation.

Like all football daft kids in Britain, everyone down our park wanted to have a shot like the great Peter Lorimer.

My shots resembled Peter Lorre.

RIP to a legend.

andudare2
20-03-2021, 04:47 PM
It doesn't square with the great defensive performance Leeds put in at ER.have to agree on that m8,thing that really puzzled me about this was i was sure i remembered reading in a football album one xmas when i was young that he was a Hibs fan when growing up in Dundee, thought perhaps i had imagined it until someone put this up on Facebook today

Hector Mudflap
20-03-2021, 05:19 PM
have to agree on that m8,thing that really puzzled me about this was i was sure i remembered reading in a football album one xmas when i was young that he was a Hibs fan when growing up in Dundee, thought perhaps i had imagined it until someone put this up on Facebook today

Just for the record as someone mentioned at the start of this thread that they didn't think there was a Hibs connection but there absolutely is. Peter his brother and my own dad grew up together in Stobswell Dundee and played golf together as well as going to Hibs games. This was in the days when kids that age got trains on their own! They followed Hibs only because they were all obsessed with the game and Hibs were supposed to be the most exciting team to go and see. (hence I grew up a Hibby and a Leeds fan) I have a few stories about the Lorimers my dad told me before he passed away himself (twenty years ago) So as far as I am concerned Peter was a fan and had a soft spot for Hibs without doubt. My dad played in the same school team as him and while Peter managed to sign for Leeds he never managed to play centre mid AND be the team medic for Kirkcaldy Babygrow Athletic !

andudare2
20-03-2021, 05:30 PM
Just for the record as someone mentioned at the start of this thread that they didn't think there was a Hibs connection but there absolutely is. Peter his brother and my own dad grew up together in Stobswell Dundee and played golf together as well as going to Hibs games. This was in the days when kids that age got trains on their own! They followed Hibs only because they were all obsessed with the game and Hibs were supposed to be the most exciting team to go and see. (hence I grew up a Hibby and a Leeds fan) I have a few stories about the Lorimers my dad told me before he passed away himself (twenty years ago) So as far as I am concerned Peter was a fan and had a soft spot for Hibs without doubt. My dad played in the same school team as him and while Peter managed to sign for Leeds he never managed to play centre mid AND be the team medic for Kirkcaldy Babygrow Athletic !😁👍👍

Iggy Pope
20-03-2021, 05:35 PM
Everyone wanted to be Peter Lorimer when I was a kid, a Scotland hero with easily the hardest shot in the world!
Rest easy Peter.

Hector and Andudare’s posts are brilliant by the way. :top marks

Hector Mudflap
20-03-2021, 05:55 PM
Everyone wanted to be Peter Lorimer when I was a kid, a Scotland hero with easily the hardest shot in the world!
Rest easy Peter.

Has brought back a lot of sadness from my own loss in all honesty. I nearly forgot a funny point that still makes me laugh today- My dad got involved with my primary school team and when they were picking the strips they had to match our school colours ....needless to say the Hibs strip wasn't an option so our Primary school played for years in THE Leeds Utd away strip - bright yellow with a solid blue and white strip down each sleeve yellow shorts and socks with he same trim- the whole strip! We felt like absolute football Gods in those strips and my dad was a bit of a hero for wrangling it.
There you go- a Hibs fan and a Leeds fan all my days - finally getting some success that I can relate to after some absolutely horrific years!

cabbageandribs1875
20-03-2021, 06:05 PM
Has brought back a lot of sadness from my own loss in all honesty. I nearly forgot a funny point that still makes me laugh today- My dad got involved with my primary school team and when they were picking the strips they had to match our school colours ....needless to say the Hibs strip wasn't an option so our Primary school played for years in THE Leeds Utd away strip - bright yellow with a solid blue and white strip down each sleeve yellow shorts and socks with he same trim- the whole strip! We felt like absolute football Gods in those strips and my dad was a bit of a hero for wrangling it.
There you go- a Hibs fan and a Leeds fan all my days - finally getting some success that I can relate to after some absolutely horrific years!

i'm positive i still have that top locked away somewhere in my attic, loved it when i was a kid

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c6/03/0a/c6030ae2cc34629790638f09bf58f3d5.jpg

Hector Mudflap
20-03-2021, 06:12 PM
i'm positive i still have that top locked away somewhere in my attic, loved it when i was a kid

Thats it! Loved that strip - iconic ! Lol,
that might well be Capshard primary school!

Mick O'Rourke
21-03-2021, 10:52 AM
Very sad to hear

Just spoke to Jimmy on the phone.
Saddened at the news
Jimmy mentioned that Peter took him to the boardroom to meet the bosses at Elland Road ,saying ,my Scottish Schoolboy team pal from Edinburgh !

Peter reminded Jimmy, that as a wee boy, his dad would take him on the train from Dundee to Edinburgh, to watch the Famous Five.
Peter would describe himself, when asked down in Leeds, as a Hibs fan .

RIP Peter Lorimer

Billy Whizz
21-03-2021, 10:54 AM

Some talent in that photo

Kato
21-03-2021, 10:58 AM
have to agree on that m8,thing that really puzzled me about this was i was sure i remembered reading in a football album one xmas when i was young that he was a Hibs fan when growing up in Dundee, thought perhaps i had imagined it until someone put this up on Facebook today

That's a nice find.

stantonhibby
21-03-2021, 11:00 AM

I had that strip too....loved it!

cabbageandribs1875
21-03-2021, 03:00 PM
Some talent in that photo

16 players and eight of them scots

Gordon McQueen
Joe Jordan
David Stewart(K)
David Harvey(K)
Eddie Gray
Frank Gray
Peter Lorimer
and arguably leeds greatest ever Legend...Billy Bremner, if only Hibs offered 5K more :(

then of course Clark, Hunter, Yorath,Madely...imagine their worth in todays Market

i can remember Leeds having a squad of 33 players, 17 of them Scots :)

I had that strip too....loved it!

sort of made one stick out a bit in a crowd :greengrin

JimBHibees
21-03-2021, 04:33 PM
Just for the record as someone mentioned at the start of this thread that they didn't think there was a Hibs connection but there absolutely is. Peter his brother and my own dad grew up together in Stobswell Dundee and played golf together as well as going to Hibs games. This was in the days when kids that age got trains on their own! They followed Hibs only because they were all obsessed with the game and Hibs were supposed to be the most exciting team to go and see. (hence I grew up a Hibby and a Leeds fan) I have a few stories about the Lorimers my dad told me before he passed away himself (twenty years ago) So as far as I am concerned Peter was a fan and had a soft spot for Hibs without doubt. My dad played in the same school team as him and while Peter managed to sign for Leeds he never managed to play centre mid AND be the team medic for Kirkcaldy Babygrow Athletic !

Thanks for sharing that. Can also remember mention of Alan Gilzean being a Hibby also.

RIP Peter Lorimer absolute Scottish football legend.

CropleyWasGod
21-03-2021, 04:35 PM
16 players and eight of them scots

Gordon McQueen
Joe Jordan
David Stewart(K)
David Harvey(K)
Eddie Gray
Frank Gray
Peter Lorimer
and arguably leeds greatest ever Legend...Billy Bremner, if only Hibs offered 5K more :(

then of course Clark, Hunter, Yorath,Madely...imagine their worth in todays Market

i can remember Leeds having a squad of 33 players, 17 of them Scots :)

sort of made one stick out a bit in a crowd :greengrin

I've managed to work out all of them, except the guy between Lorimer and Bremner. I'm guessing Mick Bates, but.....:confused:

JimBHibees
21-03-2021, 04:43 PM
I've managed to work out all of them, except the guy between Lorimer and Bremner. I'm guessing Mick Bates, but.....:confused:

Think that is Mick Bates. Who is the guy between Bremner and Trevor Cherry. Assume that is Duncan McKenzie wide right front row.

CropleyWasGod
21-03-2021, 04:45 PM
Think that is Mick Bates. Who is the guy between Bremner and Trevor Cherry. Assume that is Duncan McKenzie wide right front row.

I assumed from C&R's post that that is Frankie Gray, although I didn't recognise him under all that hair.:greengrin

And yeah, it is Duncan McKenzie.

JimBHibees
21-03-2021, 04:46 PM
I assumed from C&R's post that that is Frankie Gray, although I didn't recognise him under all that hair.:greengrin

And yeah, it is Duncan McKenzie.

Yep looks like Frankie Gray forgot about him.

cabbageandribs1875
21-03-2021, 04:53 PM

i'l get back to you on that, soon(ishy) :)

maybe

cabbageandribs1875
21-03-2021, 05:09 PM

looking at a pretty fuzzy different photo you're both right, mick bates

and correct re frank gray

Hibees1973
21-03-2021, 06:12 PM

I had this strip as well. While on holiday down in Whitley Bay we went into Newcastle for the day. My mum & dad bought me this strip as I was obsessed with Leeds Utd.

My all-time favourite strip. A close second is Scotland's 1978 World Cup strip.

Hibs have often had their away strip as yellow. Always reminds me when Hibs play in it of my old Leeds Utd kit.

What a legendary team they were in the 60's and 70' and Lorimer was a key cog in their machine. It was a privilege to see them play Hibs in 1973 in the UEFA Cup. If I could be transported back to see one game again it would be that one for me.

Crunchie
21-03-2021, 06:56 PM
Rest easy Peter.

We all used to shout LORIMER when we hit a volley, echoing the famous David Coleman commentary when he said 1-0 or 2-0 whatever it happened to be.
You're quite right, EVERYONE wanted to be him and hit that screamer, what a player he was, and what a shot he had. RIP Peter.

andudare2
22-03-2021, 11:53 AM
Thanks for sharing that. Can also remember mention of Alan Gilzean being a Hibby also.

RIP Peter Lorimer absolute Scottish football legend.
Gilzean definitely was a Hibby,as was Jim Baxter when he was young.

scoopyboy
22-03-2021, 12:04 PM
A lot of people on here see a Hibs strip from bygone years and relate it to a certain player, eg The Adidas one with Frank Graham Group on the front makes me think of John Collins.

Similarly I was always impressed with the Leeds United Admiral strip that had players numbers on their socks.

Peter Lorimer is the image I get when I picture it.

ancient hibee
22-03-2021, 03:47 PM
The first time I saw Leeds at Easter Road they played in their blue and yellow quarters. Made John Charles look even bigger than he was.

heretoday
22-03-2021, 07:17 PM
Interesting he had such a hard shot for a fairly average-built bloke. Like Cropley or Riordan.

cabbageandribs1875
01-08-2021, 06:22 AM
sadly another Leeds great has passed, Terry Cooper 77

tough couple of years for Leeds fans along with Peter Lorimer, Trevor Cherry, Paul Madeley, Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter all passing

also a player mentioned in previous posts Mick Bates passed away just two weeks back

FilipinoHibs
01-08-2021, 08:09 AM

tough couple of years for Leeds fans along with Peter Lorimer, Trevor Cherry, Paul Madeley, Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter all passing

also a player mentioned in previous posts Mick Bates passed away just two weeks back

I wonder how many of the deaths are related to their football activities - heading, tackling etc. Leeds were a hard physical side but could play to.

DanishJohn
01-08-2021, 10:00 AM

Can hardly believe that !!

Let me explain. Up at 5.45 this morning to take out my black lab for an empty. Back by approx 6.15.
Sitting having a cup of tea and switched on telly. Caught up with news and then decided to have a look on channel 81 Talking Pictures ( I love it...I know I'm an auld saddo)
Anyhow this old black and white picture is on and the scene is a guy sitting in his office at reception and a visitor comes in. The guy asks the visitor if he can help him and whats his name? The visitor replies " Mr Terence Cooper"

So that got me thinking. Terry Cooper, now he was some player! lol Was thinking of him against Jimmy Johnstone in 1970. He probably played against us 68/69. He had been replaced by Frank Gray by the time I saw him against us at Elland Road in 1973.

To come on here and then find Terry Cooper had died was spooky!

Hope I haven't dreamt all this