PDA

View Full Version : Josh Doig

lord bunberry
20-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Outstanding today, delighted he got his goal as well. Amazing that hearts let him go.

Northernhibee
20-02-2021, 04:15 PM
He reminded me today of when Gareth Bale broke through at Spurs. Every time he got the ball he did something positive and forward thinking with it and could have had two or three.

norwayhibs
20-02-2021, 04:17 PM
Josh was fantastic today and thoroughly deserved his goal, motm by a mile

worcesterhibby
20-02-2021, 04:18 PM
Let's hope he picks up more trophies fir Hibs than the legend he is replacing.

Since452
20-02-2021, 04:19 PM
Let's hope he picks up more trophies fir Hibs than the legend he is replacing.

Nice thought but he'll be signed for big money sooner or later. He's got it.

Magpie
20-02-2021, 04:20 PM
Deserved MOTM today I think. There is room for improvement on his crossing but he looks threatening every time he’s on the ball. This season will do him good and I think he will be one to watch next season.

PaulSmith
20-02-2021, 04:20 PM
He reminded me today of when Gareth Bale broke through at Spurs. Every time he got the ball he did something positive and forward thinking with it and could have had two or three.

Spurs bought Gareth Bale for £13m.

It’s a wee bit of a stretch to compare Josh Doig to him.

danhibees1875
20-02-2021, 04:22 PM
I actually thought he put in several great crosses today.

Overall a fantastic display, thoroughly deserved MOTM and delighted he got his goal too. :agree:

What's his contract situation?

04Sauzee
Will go all the way in the game and will make Hibs a fair few quid. Such a likeable boy and will deserve everything he achieves.

S4uzee
Gets himself right up the pitch to support the attacks. Can see his fitness has really improved from the start of the season

Northernhibee
20-02-2021, 04:26 PM

I meant more in movement, attacking intent and the sheer confidence and positivity. Not saying he’s as good as Bale, just his attitude is similar. Get the ball and make something positive happen. It’s something that will see him go far.

Vault Boy
20-02-2021, 04:27 PM
Absolutely superb.

Ozyhibby
20-02-2021, 04:28 PM
When does his contract run to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unseen work
20-02-2021, 04:31 PM
I never got to see the game today as I was working but I was surprised at how everyone said he was amazing after he scored as before that I never saw him mentioned on the match day thread other than 1 cross and a shot

Delighted for him though as I thought his form dipped a bit after the rumours of Him leaving.

Good player and great prospect.

weecounty hibby
20-02-2021, 04:33 PM
He looks the real deal to me, but I also thought that Paul Lovering would go on to play for Scotland so maybe I know diddly squat about left backs!!

Lee Marvin
20-02-2021, 04:39 PM
Is this the best season an 18 year old has had for Hibs in modern history?

Cant remember what age Broony/thommo were but not sure they were as young as Josh?

hibee_girl
20-02-2021, 04:39 PM
When does his contract run to?

A Hi-Bee
20-02-2021, 04:40 PM
He is doing very well, will still have good games and bad games still learning but showing great promise.To put things in a bit of perspective John Brownlee was playing for Scotland at 18
:greengrin

Lancs Harp
20-02-2021, 04:42 PM
I think Josh is a diamond, a fantastic prospect. Played well today and was well chuffed for him that he got his goal. Only slight criticism of him today was that he floated a few crosses straight into the keepers arms, but this lad is good now and is only going to improve, just hope we an get a few seasons out of him before the "big boys" coming knocking .... and they will.

EdinMike
20-02-2021, 04:45 PM
Could of had two if his bullet of a shot in the first half went anywhere else but the keeper (whom also had a good game) shame there weren’t any fans to celebrate with him but hopefully we will soon !

MWHIBBIES
20-02-2021, 04:45 PM

Yeah, and he was rubbish for 2 years at Spurs as well. Almost got loaned to West Brom I think.

04Sauzee
20-02-2021, 04:52 PM
Is this the best season an 18 year old has had for Hibs in modern history?

Cant remember what age Broony/thommo were but not sure they were as young as Josh?
John Collins if you want to go back a bit further.

Ozyhibby
20-02-2021, 04:58 PM

Probably time to offer him a senior player contract now and put a few years on that deal. He’ll be earning next to nowt just now and will appreciate the extra income.

CapitalGreen
20-02-2021, 05:03 PM
Yeah, and he was rubbish for 2 years at Spurs as well. Almost got loaned to West Brom I think.

Was close to signing for McLeish at Birmingham

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1221871/Spurs-flop-Gareth-Bale-January-Birmingham-boss-Alex-McLeish-eyes-3m-defender.html

ekhibee
20-02-2021, 05:03 PM
Thought he played really well, he's a really great young prospect and as some have said he will get better. He's not, at the moment, the best crosser of a ball, but he's also very deceptive IMHO, often he looks as if he just wants to run head down to the byline, but then he's able to cut inside between two players and put in a great pass. And it was great to see the look of joy when he scored today, good on him, he's got a bright future, of that I have absolutely no doubt.

lord bunberry
20-02-2021, 05:06 PM
Probably time to offer him a senior player contract now and put a few years on that deal. He’ll be earning next to nowt just now and will appreciate the extra income.

Yep, we should be putting him on a contract that reflects his position in the squad.

danhibees1875
20-02-2021, 05:11 PM

We should be looking to roll that over with wage increases each year as he continues his development if it continues to be justified.

We should try our best to ensure top assets have 2-3 years left throughout their time here.

Edit: roll it over +1, I keep forgetting it's 2021.

Onion
20-02-2021, 05:12 PM
Was terrific today. Often see young players break through, do well then go backwards.

This lad is getting stronger and better with every game. Looks every part of the first 11. If he can keep his head together and continue to progress, he's got all the attitudes to make a very good living from the game. Exciting prospect.

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-02-2021, 05:13 PM
A superb performance today, the lad will be a real future prospect for us, have to thank our deluded neighbour's once again

🤣🤣🤣👍

J-C
20-02-2021, 05:13 PM
Very good performance today, he's working very closely with Stevenson so hopefully that professionalism rubs off on him, he'll have the odd bad game but that's because he's still young, great prospect though.

jacomo
20-02-2021, 05:20 PM
A superb performance today, the lad will be a real future prospect for us, have to thank our deluded neighbour's once again

🤣🤣🤣👍

Could have replaced Hickey at left back.

It’s all a bit of a laugh eh?

h1bs4life
20-02-2021, 10:31 PM
Man of the match today.
Tremendous energy gets himself up the wing and put a few good crosses into the box.
We should definitely be looking to get him on a better longer contract , if he keeps progressing how he is can see him getting a big money move.

matty_f
20-02-2021, 11:01 PM
I thought his performance today was very much like the performances Tierney put in at Celtic.

hibbysam
20-02-2021, 11:02 PM
How good a striker of the ball is he as well. Seems to hit it clean as a whistle every time he hits a shot. Been so unlucky with them this season so deserved a tap in to open his account.

USAHibee
21-02-2021, 01:29 AM
Really enjoyed watching this boy. Most excited I've been about a youngster since Riordan. Hopefully the powers that be get him signed up on a proper contract pronto!

Robbo6-2
21-02-2021, 04:34 AM
What a talent.

Hes visibly getting fitter and stronger as the season progresses. Hes got everything to make it at the top imo.

Get him tied down on a long contract. Stay another year and me could get record money in for him.

Fergos
21-02-2021, 04:55 AM
Could have replaced Hickey at left back.

It’s all a bit of a laugh eh?

Im delighted but cant get my head around why they would let him go?

GGTTH

PaulSmith
21-02-2021, 06:58 AM

GGTTH

Craig Levein.

He thinks/thought that there was a better prospect at Hearts academy. lol

04Sauzee
21-02-2021, 07:06 AM
I thought his performance today was very much like the performances Tierney put in at Celtic.

Was saying during the game he's more Tierney than Robertson. If he's even half as good as Tierney in a few years he's some player.

147lothian
21-02-2021, 07:20 AM
Josh Doig looks like a modern day left back for me, the way that he gets down the wing, puts crosses in and makes things happen taking players on, he showed yesterday that he can play a bit as well.

Unseen work
21-02-2021, 10:53 AM
No no no, he’s the natural successor for Hanlon at centre back.....

J-C
21-02-2021, 12:29 PM

TBH he was initially when he was signed, he moved to LB at Queens Park and blossomed, Mackie was seen as Stevenson's successor but Doig has taken to the position and thrived.

Billy Whizz
21-02-2021, 12:39 PM

He’ll be long gone unfortunately, before that happens

CMurdoch
21-02-2021, 12:56 PM
Folk need to temper the praise for Doig with a bit of reality.
He did a lot of good things yesterday but there were also things he did that folk would have gone nuts about had we lost.
He is doing well in many aspects of his game but has lots to work on.
It's great that he has played so many games this season and as a result he has improved and looks comfortable which is half the battle for young players.
Like Porteous I don't see him leaving before the end of next season. Both are still in the improving decision making aspect of their development. Better learning that at Hibs.

Pagan Hibernia
21-02-2021, 12:58 PM
We’ll lose him in the summer of 2022, I’m certain of it.

I’m enjoying every second that he’s here.

J-C
21-02-2021, 01:00 PM
We’ll lose him in the summer of 2022, I’m certain of it.

I’m enjoying every second that he’s here.

Keeps playing like yesterday and he'll be away this summer for big bucks.

Is It On....
21-02-2021, 01:29 PM

GGTTH

Craig Levein felt that Hibs needed another left sided player after Jason left 😂.

Would we due them a small development fee from any future transfer fee we may receive when he moves on?

J-C
21-02-2021, 01:30 PM
Craig Levein felt that Hibs needed another left sided player after Jason left 😂.

Would we due them a small development fee from any future transfer fee we may receive when he moves on?

No they let him go.

CapitalGreen
21-02-2021, 02:18 PM
No they let him go.

Doesn’t matter, under FIFA rules Hearts would be due a training compensation fee if we were to sell him before he turned 23.

“2.3 Compensation shall be paid on each occasion the player changes club up to the time his training and education is complete, which as a general rule occurs when the player is 23 years of age”

https://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/3711.pdf

Diclonius
21-02-2021, 02:20 PM
Fantastic player, really hope we hold onto him.

Are we his boyhood team or is it them?

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2021, 02:36 PM

Yeah, I believe so, something like 0.5% of the fee.

Unseen work
21-02-2021, 02:49 PM
Hearts wouldn’t be due anything for Doig surely?

They released him.

If they offered him a contract which he declined to sign for us that’s a different story.

I’m sure to be able to claim a fee you need to offer a contract in the first place.

Frazerbob
21-02-2021, 02:57 PM
Not sure what to make of the DJ playing the Lewis Stevenson song after his goal though, :confused:

JimBHibees
21-02-2021, 03:13 PM

They released him.

If they offered him a contract which he declined to sign for us that’s a different story.

I’m sure to be able to claim a fee you need to offer a contract in the first place.

Think Hearts got money for Cummings when he moved to Forest.

CapitalGreen
21-02-2021, 03:48 PM

They released him.

I’ve posted the FIFA rules above. Any club Doig trained with up to the age of 21 will be due a fee if he moves clubs prior to turning 23.

CapitalGreen
21-02-2021, 03:53 PM
Think Hearts got money for Cummings when he moved to Forest.

Likewise for Oli Shaw’s move to Ross County. It should be noted in the grand scheme of things the amounts will be pretty small.

JimBHibees
21-02-2021, 03:57 PM
Likewise for Oli Shaw’s move to Ross County. It should be noted in the grand scheme of things the amounts will be pretty small.

Yep think the Record indicated a 5 figure fee.

Heisenberg
22-02-2021, 01:50 PM
In talks over a new deal

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-starlet-josh-doig-in-talks-over-new-long-term-easter-road-deal-3142622

ancient hibee
22-02-2021, 01:57 PM
Excellent.

Diclonius
22-02-2021, 02:14 PM
Yesssssss

MWHIBBIES
22-02-2021, 02:19 PM
Hibs have become much more proactive with contracts recently. I think losing some good players for either nothing or much less than we should have got has hit home.

Magpie
22-02-2021, 03:37 PM
Brilliant news.

J-C
22-02-2021, 03:45 PM
Give him a bigger pay day on a longer contract and it'll mean we get a lot more money for him if offers come in, nothing more than he deserves though.

JohnMcM
22-02-2021, 03:46 PM
I hope he signs.

andudare2
22-02-2021, 04:09 PM
Fantastic player, really hope we hold onto him.

Are we his boyhood team or is it them?
Them!

jacomo
23-02-2021, 08:09 AM
Them!

Baffling that they released him 18 months ago. The talk about Hickey moving on had already started back then and the timing was perfect for Josh to replace him in their team.

Ah well.

PatHead
23-02-2021, 09:18 AM
Hibs have become much more proactive with contracts recently. I think losing some good players for either nothing or much less than we should have got has hit home.

Not so sure about that. Maybe we publicise it more.

Every chance we will lose Rocky, Irvine and Newell for nothing in the summer.

MWHIBBIES
23-02-2021, 09:51 AM

Irvine was a 6 month deal. We cant really be proactive with him.

I think we probably have tried with Newall and Rocky but sometimes it isn't meant to be. I actually think both will stay. European groupstages is a massive gamechanger.

PatHead
23-02-2021, 11:06 AM

I think we probably have tried with Newall and Rocky but sometimes it isn't meant to be. I actually think both will stay. European groupstages is a massive gamechanger.

I hope you are right. We are going to need a big squad next season if we are in Europe until Christmas.

jacomo
23-02-2021, 11:11 AM

Fair comment.

Would be amazing if all three sign contract extensions. As you say, Europe would be a great incentive for them to stay.

CMurdoch
23-02-2021, 11:41 AM

They are keeping their options open especially Irvine.
All players are generally as loyal as their options.
In the end they will all do what is best for them no matter what they say.

Unseen work
23-02-2021, 12:40 PM
Would be brilliant to have him tied up on a longer and better deal.

I actually think he’s going to go on a bit of a scoring spree now. You could tell after he scored the goal how much more he wanted to get in the box and was driving forward.

Having someone of his size arriving late at the back post is a real threat and I think his goal will make him grow in confidence.

It really is quite incredible the progress he’s made in 6 months.

I’ve said on numerous times how the first couple of games I wasn’t convinced. It seemed more like we were forcing him into the team in the hope he would be good. He was poor defensively and although he’d bomb forward there was no real quality or composure.

That was clearly nerves and getting used to first team football.

Now he takes men on and whips great crosses in. Even on Saturday he showed great skill when the defender was quickly onto him, he nipped it round one side and ran round the other. The performances he’s put in especially against Tavernier, Frimpong etc show how good he is especially against better opposition.

He dominated the whole left flank.

He could go all the way to the top, he has everything and is still growing.

Stuart93
23-02-2021, 01:02 PM
Really hope he signs an extension great young player and managed brilliantly by JR this season.

Took him out of the team earlier on when he started struggling a bit and has came back in and not looked out of place

MagicSwirlingShip
23-02-2021, 03:46 PM
New contract incoming for Newell

MWHIBBIES
23-02-2021, 03:59 PM

One down, one to go.

The 90+2
23-02-2021, 04:18 PM
He will stay. Hearts should rightly be spewing. Maybe we could nab Irvine off them also and have the two Portys and Porto in the side.

scoopyboy
23-02-2021, 04:30 PM
He will stay. Hearts should rightly be spewing. Maybe we could nab Irvine off them also and have the two Portys and Porto in the side.

You've completely lost me with that sentence

hibbysam
23-02-2021, 04:34 PM

He’s about 10 levels below Newell.

Itsnoteasy
23-02-2021, 04:51 PM

What players would you be referring to ?

hibbysam
23-02-2021, 04:53 PM

McGeouch, Cummings and McGinn automatically come to mind.

The 90+2
23-02-2021, 05:03 PM
You've completely lost me with that sentence

Doig and Irving - Porty. And Porto. I amuse myself sometimes mate. Makes sense to me 🤣

The 90+2
23-02-2021, 05:03 PM
He’s about 10 levels below Newell.

He’s a brilliant wee footballer wasted at they knuckledraggers.

scoopyboy
23-02-2021, 05:22 PM
Doig and Irving - Porty. And Porto. I amuse myself sometimes mate. Makes sense to me 🤣

With you now, I was thinking Irvine as opposed to Irving.

The 90+2
23-02-2021, 05:35 PM
With you now, I was thinking Irvine as opposed to Irving.

👌

hibbysam
23-02-2021, 05:48 PM
He’s a brilliant wee footballer wasted at they knuckledraggers.

He really isn’t. Watching him anytime he’s on the tele and he’s miles behind Newell. His highlights reel is alright as he puts a decent delivery in now and again, 90% of his crosses and passes are overhit, zero defensive ability and it’s showing weekly.

Iggy Pope
23-02-2021, 05:56 PM
He really isn’t. Watching him anytime he’s on the tele and he’s miles behind Newell. His highlights reel is alright as he puts a decent delivery in now and again, 90% of his crosses and passes are overhit, zero defensive ability and it’s showing weekly.

He’s plenty ability IMO, is pretty highly rated and part of the Scotland u-21 set up prior to lockdown.
Think he’s playing with the wrong team myself but I know he is Hearts daft and has been there since he was very young so I doubt you’ll need to bother too much about him heading to us anytime soon.

Brightside
24-02-2021, 07:46 AM

Irving hates the Hibs... not a chance he would come to us. I actually think he is decent but we are looking at levels above that now.

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2021, 07:49 AM

McGeouch, Mcginn, Fyvie, Scott Allan first time left with a year, plenty others too. We seem a bit smarter in that department now.

scoopyboy
24-02-2021, 07:55 AM
McGeouch, Mcginn, Fyvie, Scott Allan first time left with a year, plenty others too. We seem a bit smarter in that department now.

I think we are doing better but at the end of the day you can't make a player sign a contract.

Of the ones you mention I'm pretty sure they were all offered contracts.

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2021, 08:18 AM
I think we are doing better but at the end of the day you can't make a player sign a contract.

Of the ones you mention I'm pretty sure they were all offered contracts.

But were they offered deals before other clubs were sniffing around? Could we have added a year to eaches deal after the Scottish cup win for example?

scoopyboy
24-02-2021, 08:21 AM
But were they offered deals before other clubs were sniffing around? Could we have added a year to eaches deal after the Scottish cup win for example?

If Fyvie's case 100% but he thought he could do better.

McGinn was but he was always moving on.

McGeouch was but he didn't like Lennon.

As I said earlier you can't make players sign extensions, they know how the system works.

green day
24-02-2021, 08:24 AM
Irving hates the Hibs... not a chance he would come to us. I actually think he is decent but we are looking at levels above that now.

I have never seen anything in him that made me sit up and think "hes worth a punt" anyway but I have always thought that professionals making those views known are a bit daft.

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2021, 08:34 AM
If Fyvie's case 100% but he thought he could do better.

McGinn was but he was always moving on.

McGeouch was but he didn't like Lennon.

As I said earlier you can't make players sign extensions, they know how the system works.

I know you cant make players sign extensions, but being proactive about it does no harm. Offering them a deal with 6 months to go isn't better than with 18 months or 2 years to go.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2021, 08:37 AM
I know you cant make players sign extensions, but being proactive about it does no harm. Offering them a deal with 6 months to go isn't better than with 18 months or 2 years to go.

How do you know we didnt?:confused:

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2021, 08:41 AM
How do you know we didnt?:confused:

I don't. But considering for years we consistently had our better players going to the last year or 6 months and leaving for less than they were worth, and now we're managing to keep a few (Boyle, Newall and getting the youngsters on longer deals) I'd say we're doing something a bit differently or better.

Don't really know why folk are all over me for this CRAZY suggestion.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2021, 08:46 AM
I don't. But considering for years we consistently had our better players going to the last year or 6 months and leaving for less than they were worth, and now we're managing to keep a few (Boyle, Newall and getting the youngsters on longer deals) I'd say we're doing something a bit differently or better.

You are right, apart from the players we did get to sign extensions to their contracts, we let them run their contracts down, even though you dont know if we offered them contract extensions or not.

Yes i think that just about covers it.

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2021, 08:50 AM
You are right, apart from the players we did get to sign extensions to their contracts, we let them run their contracts down, even though you dont know if we offered them contract extensions or not.

Yes i think that just about covers it.

Is there seriously any need for this patter? I just suggested we are doing something differently and seem to be more proactive with renewalls. I apologise for that obviously outrageous suggestion.

I'm quite clearly not suggesting we didn't offer players contracts. I'm saying now we seem to be getting renewalls done actively and staying on top of these things. Thats all.

I guess I should just stick to utter chronic patter like ''hur dur, is this a bigger game than the last big game'' like you do.

CapitalGreen
24-02-2021, 08:51 AM

Our failure to achieve promotion in 2015 and 2016 is probably a key contributing factor to contract negotiations not progressing far with Allan, McGinn and McGeouch at those times. As a club we couldn’t have offered much in the way of a pay bump and as players they would be unlikely to commit to stay longer at a club failing to meet their sporting objectives.

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2021, 08:52 AM
Our failure to achieve promotion in 2015 and 2016 is probably a key contributing factor to contract negotiations not progressing far with Allan, McGinn and McGeouch at those times. As a club we couldn’t have offered much in the way of a pay bump and as players they would be unlikely to commit to stay longer at a club failing to meet their sporting objectives.

Yeah, that is probably true. Certainly weakens our bargaining position.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2021, 08:59 AM
Is there seriously any need for this patter? I just suggested we are doing something differently and seem to be more proactive with renewalls. I apologise for that obviously outrageous suggestion.

I'm quite clearly not suggesting we didn't offer players contracts. I'm saying now we seem to be getting renewalls done actively and staying on top of these things. Thats all.

I guess I should just stick to utter chronic patter like ''hur dur, is this a bigger game than the last big game'' like you do.

I'd say we are not doing anything different, we are making these signing extensions just like we have always done, and the players who dont want to sign them wont until they weigh up their options.

Nothing has changed at all as you are saying.

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2021, 09:03 AM
I'd say we are not doing anything different, we are making these signing extensions just like we have always done, and the players who dont want to sign them wont until they weigh up their options.

Right, okay bud :faf: whatever you say.

You have as little idea as I do. Difference is, I think you are just disagreeing for the sake of it. I'm just pointing out that we seem to be doing better in that area.

scoopyboy
24-02-2021, 09:09 AM

You are right we are progressing in the right direction and have done well with Ryan Porteous and Josh Doig amongst others.

We have left it quite late with Marciano but in the case of Newell and Irvine you can't really offer them deals too early as they are just in the door relatively speaking.

jeffers
24-02-2021, 09:16 AM

Tend to agree with that, other than McGeouch can’t think of any other player who left recently on freedom of contract (happy to be corrected on that one) and the accepted view on here is he was offered a new deal but wouldn’t sign it because of Lennon. We also managed to get Boyle and Cummings to sign new deals when their contracts were close to ending. If a player is viewed by the club as worth keeping I think we make moves to offer them new contracts. As you say some will sign, others such as Rocky will weigh up their options.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2021, 11:57 AM
Right, okay bud :faf: whatever you say.

You have as little idea as I do. Difference is, I think you are just disagreeing for the sake of it. I'm just pointing out that we seem to be doing better in that area.
Disagreeing for the sake of it, jeezus christ, pot calling kettle.

J-C
24-02-2021, 12:56 PM
Disagreeing for the sake of it, jeezus christ, pot calling kettle.

:faf::faf:

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2021, 01:07 PM
Disagreeing for the sake of it, jeezus christ, pot calling kettle.Not really. I always try to back my points up with facts and opinions. You haven't done that at all. You argument is essentially ''how do you know we didn't'' then some smart arse posts.

:faf::faf:

My biggest fan you are.

hibee316
24-02-2021, 01:07 PM
I'm on the side of Blackpoolhibs.
I would be honestly baffled if Hibs have in the past "left it late" to offer contracts.
There is also no proof of this either.

We do seem to be getting more players to re-sign. I think this is either due to that we are now offering more money than in the past or players are more likely to sign a contract early rather than wait to see if there is anything better due to current uncertain economic times.

For example with Marciano. I think the most likely reason is that he thinks he can get a better deal, so is playing the long game.

Hibs will either have offered him something already or won't do it at all.

The only reason they might wait to offer him is if they think they might get a better goalie in.

IMO obviously. :)

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2021, 01:10 PM
I'm on the side of Blackpoolhibs.
I would be honestly baffled if Hibs have in the past "left it late" to offer contracts.
There is also no proof of this either.

We do seem to be getting more players to re-sign. I think this is either due to that we are now offering more money than in the past or players are more likely to sign a contract early rather than wait to see if there is anything better due to current uncertain economic times.

For example with Marciano. I think the most likely reason is that he thinks he can get a better deal, so is playing the long game.

Hibs will either have offered him something already or won't do it at all.

The only reason they might wait to offer him is if they think they might get a better goalie in.

IMO obviously. :)

There is a middle ground between leaving it late and being pro active. I simply think we have been in that middle ground.

hibee316
24-02-2021, 01:21 PM
There is a middle ground between leaving it late and being pro active. I simply think we have been in that middle ground.

Fair enough.

I think if we were working in that middle ground like you said, that would constitute a massive failing of Hibs.

IMO we might not offer the going rate for a player, but I just don't think we would be daft enough not to get the offer in in plenty time.

Do you think Hibs are doing this as they haven't considered properly the contracts are ending, or that they are trying to second guess the player by offering a contract late? (Or some other reason)

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2021, 01:50 PM
Fair enough.

I think if we were working in that middle ground like you said, that would constitute a massive failing of Hibs.

IMO we might not offer the going rate for a player, but I just don't think we would be daft enough not to get the offer in in plenty time.

Do you think Hibs are doing this as they haven't considered properly the contracts are ending, or that they are trying to second guess the player by offering a contract late? (Or some other reason)

No. But have they went for it and taken a risk. Look at Ian Murray, he was injured for the majority of 2003/04. Were we offering him a deal then, or waiting till he got back fit? Same with McGeouch and Fyvie who had injury issues. Newall and Boyle have both got new deals despite recent issues. And especially with Murray, Porteous and Doig we've been right on top of it.

I don't think Hibs were doing something terribly wrong before, I'm just suggesting we're more proactive now. Maybe thats because we're in a good place to offer deals.

Diclonius
24-02-2021, 01:52 PM

So did David Gray and Jason Cummings.

Iggy Pope
24-02-2021, 02:40 PM

There’s clearly no interest either party but you’re making things up about the boy. I’ve shared a street with his family for 20 years, him and his younger brother delivered my papers. For Hearts fans (and indeed they are) you couldn’t meet nicer lads.

weecounty hibby
26-02-2021, 08:57 AM
Hibs twitter hinting that he is about to sign the new contract

Pretty Boy
26-02-2021, 08:58 AM
Looks like a new deal is imminent.

Excellent news.

Pretty Boy
26-02-2021, 09:01 AM
New deal until 2025 confirmed.

Superb stuff from Hibs. A great week all round.

weecounty hibby
26-02-2021, 09:02 AM
Great news to tie down one of Scitlands most promising players. All good at the moment for Hibs.

Vault Boy
26-02-2021, 09:03 AM
Absolutely superb news!

Since452
26-02-2021, 09:04 AM
This is tremendous news. Falling back in love with Hibs. Feel good factor returning.

yerauldda
26-02-2021, 09:06 AM
Unbelievable business.

Sir David Gray
26-02-2021, 09:11 AM
Great news, he has a great future ahead of him.

Diclonius
26-02-2021, 09:12 AM
4.5 years holy ****

Brightside
26-02-2021, 09:14 AM
Thats a great move from Hibs . Will cost us very little for a big return if/when he moves.

JohnMcM
26-02-2021, 09:17 AM
Every day, in every way, things are getting better. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
26-02-2021, 09:19 AM
PROACTIVE

Fantastic news

04Sauzee
26-02-2021, 09:21 AM
https://i.ibb.co/RQQJTkx/Screenshot-20210226-102049.jpg (https://ibb.co/2ccp31D)

calumhibee1
26-02-2021, 09:25 AM
That is superb news!

Aldo
26-02-2021, 09:26 AM
Ron the Con at it again I see! First Newell and now Doig!

Brilliant news and well earned.

Keith_M
26-02-2021, 09:27 AM
Delighted to hear that.

I thought he was going to be a star for us from the moment I saw him. Some of the criticism he had when he was replaced by Stenson earlier in the season was way over the top, as he's only just broken into the first team and still learning.

The Modfather
26-02-2021, 09:29 AM
Great news. We will just have to enjoy him as long as we can, which is hopefully a good 2 or 3 seasons yet.

Dmas
26-02-2021, 09:34 AM
Great stuff this from hibs, wee guy looks a real talent

scoopyboy
26-02-2021, 09:35 AM
PROACTIVE

Fantastic news

Fantastic indeed

J-C
26-02-2021, 09:40 AM
Great news, the laddie has improved so much I wouldn't be surprised to see bids for him this summer, giving him more cash and a longer contract keeps him happy and safeguards us when bids do come in, great piece of business, we did the exact same with Porteous when he broke through.

Real Emerald
26-02-2021, 10:03 AM
Brilliant bit of business, well done Hibs and well done Josh, a lad that will go right to the top. GGTTH 🇳🇬

ronaldo7
26-02-2021, 10:04 AM
He's been handled very well by Jack Ross. Gradually introducing him into the first team, and giving him time to recover as he's still young.

Well done all round

h1bs4life
26-02-2021, 10:12 AM
Brilliant news.

mayo hibee
26-02-2021, 10:25 AM
Great news, Doig is exactly the kind of player that you wouldn't want to lose at a young age for nothing.

Crunchie
26-02-2021, 10:29 AM
He's been handled very well by Jack Ross. Gradually introducing him into the first team, and giving him time to recover as he's still young.

Well done all round
:top marks Jack has looked after him very well and must take a lot of the credit in his rapid rise.

BroxburnHibee
26-02-2021, 10:34 AM
Superb stuff from Hibs. Obviously every player has his price but should guarantee he won't leave cheaply when he eventually moves on.

Northernhibee
26-02-2021, 10:44 AM
If Aberdeen really are struggling as much as they say they are, then we could find ourselves putting a little distance between the two of us in the next couple of seasons. Not just a very good squad but a consistent one too.

Peevemor
26-02-2021, 11:00 AM

Well done all round

This from Jack Ross in the EEN before the deal was announced.

"With Josh, his deal is for a development squad player and an out and out development squad player at that, but he is now a first team regular and I think it’s important that the club doesn’t take advantage of that. I think that is only appropriate. The contract has to reflect his contribution and that is where we are trying to get to."

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-explains-why-josh-doig-deserves-new-deal-he-is-now-a-first-team-regular-and-its-important-the-club-doesnt-take-advantage-of-that-3147512

That's a huge incentive for our other youngsters.

Well handled all round!

Northernhibee
26-02-2021, 11:38 AM

"With Josh, his deal is for a development squad player and an out and out development squad player at that, but he is now a first team regular and I think it’s important that the club doesn’t take advantage of that. I think that is only appropriate. The contract has to reflect his contribution and that is where we are trying to get to."

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-explains-why-josh-doig-deserves-new-deal-he-is-now-a-first-team-regular-and-its-important-the-club-doesnt-take-advantage-of-that-3147512

Well handled all round!

I'm really impressed with how the club are handling things just now. Jack Ross not only has the confidence and knowledge to play Josh, but also when not to as well. Every time that Lewie has had a spell in the first team Josh has come back a stronger player. Now we're making sure that contracts fairly reflect each players situation, there's literally no reason for a talented young player to feel unhappy at Hibs.

We'll either be able to keep these players for longer or it will take a better offer to take them to another club. There's so much more joined up thinking happening.

WhileTheChief..
26-02-2021, 11:45 AM
Ron the Con at it again I see! First Newell and now Doig!

Brilliant news and well earned.

Ron the Con is going about things in totally the wrong way.

He’s meant to be asset stripping us before riding off into the sunset, not building a squad for the future.

Must do better.

Pretty Boy
26-02-2021, 11:51 AM

He’s meant to be asset stripping us before riding off into the sunset, not building a squad for the future.

Must do better.

Maybe he's waiting for the Europa League group stage money to drop then he'll do a runner.

Peevemor
26-02-2021, 11:53 AM
I'm really impressed with how the club are handling things just now. Jack Ross not only has the confidence and knowledge to play Josh, but also when not to as well. Every time that Lewie has had a spell in the first team Josh has come back a stronger player. Now we're making sure that contracts fairly reflect each players situation, there's literally no reason for a talented young player to feel unhappy at Hibs.

We'll either be able to keep these players for longer or it will take a better offer to take them to another club. There's so much more joined up thinking happening.

Yep, it shows that there's no need to let your head go down if you're left out, especially as a youngster. I've also noticed during interviews how often players are saying that "the manager's been speaking to me all the time", this is regardless whether it's a player on a good run or if it's someone that's been on the sidelines. I really do think that he's an excellent communicator and is a manager in the real sense of the word and not just a first team coach. The difference is huge IMO.

superfurryhibby
26-02-2021, 12:07 PM

Well handled all round!

Excellent from Hibs. We are rewarding talent. The money will be a huge bonus for a laddie on a development team wage. Shows the young team that if they do the business, they get the benefits.

blackpoolhibs
26-02-2021, 12:07 PM
Well done Hibs, i believe Josh is the first Hibs player who's ever signed an extension to his contract. :thumbsup:

lucky
26-02-2021, 12:12 PM
Great news and good business for Hibs and Josh. Hopefully he becomes the player everyone is predicting

Squealing pig
26-02-2021, 12:15 PM
Great news

USAHibee
Well done Hibs, i believe Josh is the first Hibs player who's ever signed an extension to his contract. :thumbsup:

an extension to an extension,, I think he has signed three contracts in the 18 month he has been with us, that is testament to his attitude and ability, what were our lower league rivals thinking??

basehibby
Brilliant news once again - well done Hibs and well done Josh Doig :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Northernhibee
26-02-2021, 12:18 PM
Maybe he's waiting for the Europa League group stage money to drop then he'll do a runner.

Nobody's won the jackpot on the fruity in the East Mains games room and it's due to pay out the £20 jackpot soon.

aljo7-0
26-02-2021, 12:24 PM
Delighted to hear the news. Great wee player, getting better.

Magpie
26-02-2021, 12:24 PM
Happy with this.

Onion
26-02-2021, 12:34 PM
Well done, Hibs and Josh. Great bit of business :thumbsup:

Would have been easy for the lad and his agent to have their heads turned by the talk of Cheski, Citeh and Sellickfootballclub, but he's made a sensible decision which should benefit player and club in the future.

Also, love the idea of sticking it to the Glasgow media and Celtic fans who have been pondering whether or not to lift him off Hibs. Now expect to Josh bypass Celtic and going straight to a big club in a few years time, just like SJM.

MWHIBBIES
26-02-2021, 12:44 PM

and the crowd goes mild

worcesterhibby
26-02-2021, 12:44 PM
Fantastic news...right Ofir...get your Israeli finger out and sign on the line which is dotted !

Aldo
26-02-2021, 12:50 PM

Must do better.

Aye he should be.

CMurdoch
26-02-2021, 01:00 PM
Great news and good business for Hibs and Josh. Hopefully he becomes the player everyone is predicting

Snap, the other upside is that those who see him every day must rate him highly and backed such a long deal.
The kid is strong and a great athlete just needs to keep working on his crossing and decision making.

Marciano and Irving the only only outstanding contract business
3 months to sort it out starting..............now

Stuart93
26-02-2021, 01:48 PM
Superb stuff and great deal! Irvine next hopefully!

cabbageandribs1875
26-02-2021, 01:56 PM
great news

ancient hibee
26-02-2021, 02:04 PM
He’s really come on.Probably good that there are no crowds and he is able to learn without the often unfair criticism that we make when someone makes a mistake during a game.

sleeping giant
26-02-2021, 02:39 PM
and the crowd goes mild

:greengrin: Brilliant

greiggy
26-02-2021, 03:07 PM
Delighted to hear the news. Great wee player, getting better.

Wee? He’s almost 6’ 3”! Great prospect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scoopyboy
26-02-2021, 03:11 PM
and the crowd goes mild

How long have you been holding on to that little gem :greengrin

bod
26-02-2021, 03:18 PM
Snap, the other upside is that those who see him every day must rate him highly and backed such a long deal.
The kid is strong and a great athlete just needs to keep working on his crossing and decision making.

Marciano and Irving the only only outstanding contract business
3 months to sort it out starting..............now

But the sooner they sign the sooner they get the bigger wage that comes with it.
Please sign ASAP

JohnMcM
26-02-2021, 03:20 PM

Hoi! :grr:

Admins get this stirrer sorted out,,,,,,,,,,, oh! :greengrin

Mikey_1875
26-02-2021, 03:50 PM
Great news, he has went from strength to strength this season and has been managed very well by Ross. I’m getting excited by what we are building here now and can’t wait to see them play at ER in the flesh.

wookie70
26-02-2021, 03:56 PM
Excellent news. Although there have been a couple of bumps in the road of his development this year in general he has made great strides and still looks like there is plenty to come. Well done Hibs and well done Josh

Since452
26-02-2021, 04:11 PM
The future is looking very bright. Very green infact

CapitalGreen
26-02-2021, 04:18 PM
and the crowd goes mild

😂😂😂

Billy Whizz
26-02-2021, 04:20 PM
Great news Josh, well deserved too

Tommy75
26-02-2021, 04:31 PM
Great news. Even if he leaves in 2 years we will have had the benefit of a good left back for a few seasons and be in a position to command a decent fee. Good business all round.

Fancy Hearts just letting this laddie walk away lol. Would they be entitled to any development fee if/when he is sold?

The 90+2
26-02-2021, 04:32 PM
Great news. Even if he leaves in 2 years we will have had the benefit of a good left back for a few seasons and be in a position to command a decent fee. Good business all round.

Fancy Hearts just letting this laddie walk away lol. Would they be entitled to any development fee if/when he is sold?

Nah.

Hibiza
26-02-2021, 04:33 PM
Great News. Well done All.

26-02-2021, 04:52 PM
Great news and well deserved new contract. Had a very good season for someone so young and if he keeps progressing he’s got a great career ahead of him.

Ozyhibby
26-02-2021, 04:57 PM
Great news. He’s having a great debut season.

A Hi-Bee
26-02-2021, 05:11 PM
He reminds me a wee bit o Billy McEwan, Josh has a great future ahead.

Iggy Pope
26-02-2021, 05:55 PM
He reminds me a wee bit o Billy McEwan, Josh has a great future ahead.

Here’s hoping that doesn’t mean he ends up doing not much but managing York City :greengrin

Ronniekirk
26-02-2021, 06:07 PM
Deserves it progressed further than I would of anticipated in a relatively short period of time

my left peg
26-02-2021, 06:15 PM
Great news....he is the sort of player that will get the crowd on its feet ,with his strong running down the left.....so hope we are back in august

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
26-02-2021, 06:24 PM
Delighted with this news

CB Hibs 68
26-02-2021, 07:22 PM
This has been a great week for Hibs off the pitch with Joe and Josh signing contract extensions .Goes without saying that we need to keep the feel good factor going with a win against Motherwell hopefully combined with a Dons defeat.Cmon Hibs.

FilipinoHibs
26-02-2021, 07:31 PM
Great news. Ron's signing policy now coming through. Employees most valuable asset and key investment.

HendoDelivered
26-02-2021, 09:35 PM
Irvine next???

Corstorphine Hibby
26-02-2021, 10:12 PM
No he's not. But we have McGinn, Boyle, Newall, Stevenson and now Doig all signing extensions this season. I know that you're an attention seeker, but i think that there's definitely something different going on this season. It may be the players, it may be Ron, but the fact that these first team players are signing contract extensions feels very different to me.

Wheat Hound
26-02-2021, 10:51 PM
Very good news. A player of real promise and seems a hell of a nice laddie too.

MWHIBBIES
27-02-2021, 04:56 AM
No he's not. But we have McGinn, Boyle, Newall, Stevenson and now Doig all signing extensions this season. I know that you're an attention seeker, but i think that there's definitely something different going on this season. It may be the players, it may be Ron, but the fact that these first team players are signing contract extensions feels very different to me.

Every word spot on.

blackpoolhibs
27-02-2021, 06:48 AM

Have we ever had players in past seasons who have signed extensions to their current contract, or have Hibs deliberately let them run their contracts down and done nothing about it?

Or have the club done what every other club does, and offer contracts to players who we want to keep, and not offer players contracts who we dont?

Feels exactly the same as every season to me, players sign who want to sign, see Newell and Doig, and players who dont want to sign yet, see Rocky, dont.

Simple really.

Borderhibbie76
27-02-2021, 06:53 AM
Have we ever had players in past seasons who have signed extensions to their current contract, or have Hibs deliberately let them run their contracts down and done nothing about it?

Or have the club done what every other club does, and offer contracts to players who we want to keep, and not offer players contracts who we dont?

Feels exactly the same as every season to me, players sign who want to sign, see Newell and Doig, and players who dont want to sign yet, see Rocky, dont.

Simple really.

I dont think all is lost with Rocky yet tbh a couple of weeks ago we all that Joe Newell was leaving and see how that's turned out. Mrs Rocky loves Edinburgh so I'm still fairly optimistic he will stay

blackpoolhibs
27-02-2021, 06:56 AM
I dont think all is lost with Rocky yet tbh a couple of weeks ago we all that Joe Newell was leaving and see how that's turned out. Mrs Rocky loves Edinburgh so I'm still fairly optimistic he will stay

I hope so, he's a good keeper, and compared to some of the dross we've had in the past, he's as reliable as i've seen since Leighton and Goram. :pray:

Ronniekirk
27-02-2021, 07:15 AM

He said a few weeks ago he knows his worth So clearly Hibs haven’t yet made an offer he considers has met that
Think he has improved and any new contract will need to reflect that

Vault Boy
27-02-2021, 09:02 AM
Great interview with Josh now up on HTV and Recast.

Comes across like a really nice young guy, with a measured humility and maturity when talking about his career. He knows he's talented, but also knows that the environment we've got at Hibs isn't one to take for granted and he's still got plenty of learning to do here. Love his enthusiasm.

He'll go far.

A Hi-Bee
27-02-2021, 09:23 AM
Here’s hoping that doesn’t mean he ends up doing not much but managing York City :greengrin

Billy started out looking like another great prospect, he had loads of talent, Hibs played him in just about every position at the time. I think he also has something to do with looking after the ex Hibs players so not to shabby a life and future in the game. Josh still has a long way to go I was getting at.
:thumbsup:

Not In The Know
27-02-2021, 09:54 AM
:top marks Jack has looked after him very well and must take a lot of the credit in his rapid rise.
Ha I did wonder last week when Ross mentioned he was surprised there hadn’t been more hype around him. Obvs the contract was in the bag.

MWHIBBIES
27-02-2021, 10:42 AM

Simple really.

I cant remember Hibs ever renewing this many players by this stage. Never. I think Hibs are quite clearly being more proactive with this, keeping on top of it and offering players very competitive wages to stay. I don't get why you are so offended by that suggestion.

blackpoolhibs
27-02-2021, 11:49 AM
I cant remember Hibs ever renewing this many players by this stage. Never. I think Hibs are quite clearly being more proactive with this, keeping on top of it and offering players very competitive wages to stay. I don't get why you are so offended by that suggestion.

I'm not offended at all. :confused:

MWHIBBIES
27-02-2021, 12:08 PM
I'm not offended at all. :confused:

Ah really, just seemed that way. Multiple smart arsed comments, going on about it for days etc. My mistake.

blackpoolhibs
27-02-2021, 12:29 PM
Ah really, just seemed that way. Multiple smart arsed comments, going on about it for days etc. My mistake.

Apology accepted.