PDA

View Full Version : Darren Drysdale ref

gbhibby
18-02-2021, 08:40 AM
I notice that the FA have charged the ref for getting in the face of an Ipswich player. Tiny Wharton would have been charged most weeks. What a bunch of snowflakes.

calumhibee1
18-02-2021, 08:49 AM
Poor behaviour from the ref but what I hope this brings to light is player behaviour towards referees. We need to get to a system where only a captain talks with the ref. It’s becoming a problem here but I hate when you see an entire team abroad crowding round a referee to influence his decision.

jacomo
18-02-2021, 08:52 AM
I have a lot of sympathy for the ref here. Momentary loss of composure but didn’t lash out in any way.

Agree that players need to behave themselves better.

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2021, 08:54 AM
I'm surprised that this hasn't happened more often. It says a lot about our refs that it hasn't.

IIRC, a few years ago Stuart Dougal (?) got into bother for having the audacity to swear at a player. Heaven forfend :rolleyes:

04Sauzee
18-02-2021, 08:54 AM
Noticed quite a few prominent players in the epl coming outnin support of the referee

easty
18-02-2021, 08:56 AM
Seems fair enough to me. You cannae have a referee acting like that. If football doesn't want players to act like that, then those officiating the games have to lead by example.

gbhibby
18-02-2021, 08:56 AM
Poor behaviour from the ref but what I hope this brings to light is player behaviour towards referees. We need to get to a system where only a captain talks with the ref. It’s becoming a problem here but I hate when you see an entire team abroad crowding round a referee to influence his decision.
I agree, refs are only human, players need to respect refs, we can learn a lot of lessons from Rugby.

jacomo
18-02-2021, 08:57 AM
Seems fair enough to me. You cannae have a referee acting like that. If football doesn't want players to act like that, then those officiating the games have to lead by example.

Looked to me like he just stood his ground more than anything.

gbhibby
18-02-2021, 09:08 AM
Fergie's teams were the worst offenders.

Keith_M
18-02-2021, 09:10 AM
Alex Ferguson used to encourage his players to crowd the ref and harass them. You now see that more and more and I'm convinced other managers give out the same advice.

That's what they need to clamp down on, not one Ref getting p1ssed off and momentarily losing his composure.

easty
18-02-2021, 09:11 AM
Looked to me like he just stood his ground more than anything.

Not really. The player stops and the ref steps into him, and puts his head down into the players face. If players do it, then the ref has the right to book them. Refs can't be above the rules.

I'm all for change, if they can stop teams crowding the refs then good, but that change doesn't start by the refs acting like the players do now.

Sir David Gray
18-02-2021, 09:13 AM
I'm surprised that this hasn't happened more often. It says a lot about our refs that it hasn't.

IIRC, a few years ago Stuart Dougal (?) got into bother for having the audacity to swear at a player. Heaven forfend :rolleyes:

:agree: Told Christian Nerlinger to **** off I believe.

17 years ago believe it or not!

easty
That's what they need to clamp down on, not one Ref getting p1ssed off and momentarily losing his composure.

They're two different issues, and both should be addressed.

BlackSheep

Actually, is this not the current rule.... Refs just don't enforce it.

Hibbyradge
18-02-2021, 09:23 AM
Fergie's teams were the worst offenders.

Chelsea were top of the league when it came to harassing referees.

It was deliberate and orchestrated.

Liverpool used to be terrible too. How Mascherano wasn't banned sine die for his behaviour is a mystery.

superfurryhibby
18-02-2021, 09:26 AM
The ref shouldn't have responded in the way he did. However, if the players and footballing authorities want exemplary behaviour from the refs then they need to ensure that they are treated respectfully.

Rugby sets a good example to football on this one. I would much prefer this part of our footballing culture changed, it's pretty horrible to see petulant player histrionics.

gbhibby
18-02-2021, 09:29 AM
Actually, is this not the current rule.... Refs just don't enforce it.
I think it is a maximum of 3 players.

Jones28
18-02-2021, 09:30 AM
I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often. I don’t think I could restrain myself if I had 11 grown men screaming in my face like spoilt bairns.

Like Calum has mentioned there needs to be a system in place like there is in rugby, where refs address captains only who enforce their players. It shouldn’t be incumbent on the referee to have to deal with that. What I like in rugby is that when there’s a bit of handbags they let it take its course, watch what happens then punish them after the event. None of this whistle tooting pish we get. It then becomes the teams responsibility to self police before it gets out of hand.

I think the TMO they have in rugby is the reason they are able to do it so effectively. There are lessons to be learned there. Why have a centralised system like they do in England when there’s a fourth official and tv cameras at every ground anyway?

Hibs Class
18-02-2021, 09:36 AM
Paul Lambert is making himself look a bit foolish with his comments on it as well

Jones28
18-02-2021, 09:39 AM
Paul Lambert is making himself look a bit foolish with his comments on it as well

He’s coming across a right bel end

matty_f
18-02-2021, 09:47 AM
The players need to take responsibility for their role in that, but ultimately the ref is in control of his own actions and should have known better. He has the tools to deal with confrontation with his cards rather than getting drawn into squaring up to the player. I do have sympathy for him though, would be pretty instinctive if you've got someone in your face like that.

hibbycraig
18-02-2021, 10:08 AM
The refs just need to start booking any player that gets in their face or shouts at them. Guarantee it would stop in a few weeks.

Oscar T Grouch
18-02-2021, 10:20 AM
I think rugby refs get more respect because they have more powers to wield. In football the ref can yellow or red card a player or manager showing decent. In rugby he can reverse a penalty decision and award it the other way if the dissenting player is on the side that was awarded the penalty. If a player dissents when the opposition team have a penalty he can move that penalty 10 yards further down the pitch. He can sin bin players. Rugby refs in the pro games get video playback so their decisions are often more respected by players because he has had a 2nd look. When your team gets punished for your dissent it becomes a less common thing, it's like a sergeant major, punishing everyone apart from the culprit because they know the culprit is going to get it tight from their fellow squaddies. There is also the cultural aspect which is less prevalent nowadays given the wide range of backgrounds players come from, but originally the refs were schoolmasters who were to be respected no matter what.

Chorley Hibee
18-02-2021, 10:29 AM

Deflection tactics given his own precarious position.

Carheenlea
18-02-2021, 10:35 AM
After viewing the clip my first thoughts were good on him - I’d like to see more of this from the refs to be honest. Adds a bit of extra spice to the proceedings

Wide refs in :take that

Pretty Boy
18-02-2021, 10:37 AM
I was quite surprised watching the rugby last weekend that a few Welsh players seemed to mouth off at the ref on a couple of occasions. It was something I had never really seen in rugby before. I wonder if it's a case of them getting closer to football rather than us going in the right direction.

The ref in question can't act like that but referees take a lot of horrendous abuse and it's a wonder more don't lose it from time to time. The top level guys are obviously well compensated for what they do but you see guys in public parks getting £40 having parents and players calling them all sorts. There used to be a Greek guy refereed in Edinburgh, he maybe still does. He was an awful ref but some of the abuse he took was shameful, grown men telling him to **** off back to his own country whilst he was reffing their kids games. If he had smacked someone in the jaw I wouldn't have blamed him one bit.

On the flip side I think refs could help themselves by showing a bit more respect towards players as well. In rugby refs will explain their decisions or give fair warning that if the same offence keeps happening they will penalise it. In football a lot of refs treat players like schoolchildren. 'I've made my decision and I don't have to explain myself to anyone.'

Ray_
18-02-2021, 10:37 AM
I have a lot of sympathy for the ref here. Momentary loss of composure but didn’t lash out in any way.

Agree that players need to behave themselves better.

He did pick on a small player though :greengrin Wonder if he would have reacted the same it it was one of the lumps.

CMurdoch
18-02-2021, 10:39 AM

Yeah, he is putting the boot in. Does him no credit whatsoever and probably takes away any sympathy folk have for his own current treatment by the Ipswich fans.
A great and classy player is turning into a poor and classless manager.
All very Lennony deflection.

In comparison the player involved, Alan Judge, has been very classy in his comments.

CMurdoch
18-02-2021, 10:49 AM
The refs just need to start booking any player that gets in their face or shouts at them. Guarantee it would stop in a few weeks.

I've never understood why they don't. As you say it would quickly stop.
It's bad practice to allow players to try to influence decisions by what is essentially intimidation and sets a bad example to kids.

gbhibby
18-02-2021, 10:53 AM
I think rugby refs get more respect because they have more powers to wield. In football the ref can yellow or red card a player or manager showing decent. In rugby he can reverse a penalty decision and award it the other way if the dissenting player is on the side that was awarded the penalty. If a player dissents when the opposition team have a penalty he can move that penalty 10 yards further down the pitch. He can sin bin players. Rugby refs in the pro games get video playback so their decisions are often more respected by players because he has had a 2nd look. When your team gets punished for your dissent it becomes a less common thing, it's like a sergeant major, punishing everyone apart from the culprit because they know the culprit is going to get it tight from their fellow squaddies. There is also the cultural aspect which is less prevalent nowadays given the wide range of backgrounds players come from, but originally the refs were schoolmasters who were to be respected no matter what.
Sin bin for all yellow card offences in football would be a good start. Also 10 yards punishment would be a step forward also.

CMurdoch
18-02-2021, 11:11 AM
I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often. I don’t think I could restrain myself if I had 11 grown men screaming in my face like spoilt bairns.

Like Calum has mentioned there needs to be a system in place like there is in rugby, where refs address captains only who enforce their players. It shouldn’t be incumbent on the referee to have to deal with that. What I like in rugby is that when there’s a bit of handbags they let it take its course, watch what happens then punish them after the event. None of this whistle tooting pish we get. It then becomes the teams responsibility to self police before it gets out of hand.

I think the TMO they have in rugby is the reason they are able to do it so effectively. There are lessons to be learned there. Why have a centralised system like they do in England when there’s a fourth official and tv cameras at every ground anyway?

Rugby has everything right as regards the referee at the elite level. The referee is in total control of the game and their version of VAR, TMO works very efficiently. The referee is miked up so you can hear his discussion with the TMO and the decision and that entertains supporters and makes them feel included. Him being miked up also ensures the players mind their language when they speak to him. My only caveat is that American Football and Rugby Union are very stop start and that lends itself to VAR better than football does which is all but continuous.

easty
18-02-2021, 11:14 AM
Sin bin for all yellow card offences in football would be a good start. Also 10 yards punishment would be a step forward also.

Nah, can you imagine being 1-0 up at home to Celtc or Rangers with 10 to go...we'd be getting yellow cards for everything!

delbert
18-02-2021, 11:26 AM

If referees took that approach, within a fortnight they would be getting pilloried from all and sundry for over reacting, losing control, no feel for the match, it’s a mans game etc and fans of every club would reckon their team is being picked on. No win situation for referees and what it needs is the players to learn some self discipline. Well remember getting a mouthful from a player and I gave it back both barrels, his first reaction was to throw a petted lip and said ‘you can’t talk to me like that!’ Wee scone !

Onion
18-02-2021, 12:16 PM

Better still, arm refs and linesmen with stun guns and tasers :cb

lord bunberry
18-02-2021, 12:17 PM
Good on the ref, some players are absolute liberty takers on the pitch.

gbhibby
18-02-2021, 12:41 PM
Nah, can you imagine being 1-0 up at home to Celtc or Rangers with 10 to go...we'd be getting yellow cards for everything!
Your not suggesting there is a West Coast bias in the refereeing fraternity,😁😁😁😁😁😁
Something like this could be implemented for a tournament like the league Cup to test out if it would work.

aljo7-0
18-02-2021, 01:33 PM
Well - technically 10 steps back

Magpie
18-02-2021, 01:40 PM
He did pick on a small player though :greengrin Wonder if he would have reacted the same it it was one of the lumps.

He’s a RAF sergeant outside of football so I don’t think he would have been too bothered who they were 😅

matty_f
18-02-2021, 01:44 PM

Didn’t they trial moving free kicks forward for dissent previously?

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2021, 01:47 PM

Yeah, but Willie Miller vetoed it. He'd have been playing half his games in the middle of the North Sea.

Peevemor
18-02-2021, 01:47 PM
Yeah, but Willie Miller vetoed it. He'd have been playing half his games in the middle of the North Sea.

Made me laugh. :top marks

gbhibby
18-02-2021, 01:50 PM
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

gbhibby
18-02-2021, 01:52 PM
Yes seem to recall this I think it was down south.

Monts
18-02-2021, 01:55 PM
Didn't see too much in it tbh.

Pierluigi Collina was revered for that sort of thing.

Jones28
18-02-2021, 02:20 PM
I’d propose the idea of referees wearing body cams with retrospective action taken for dissent, foul language and general **** hoosery in the same way they do for diving.

Pretty Boy
18-02-2021, 02:42 PM

They did but the glaring problem was the team in receipt of the free kick couldn't refuse it. There was a Man Utd game where a FK was moved from 30 yards out to right on the edge of the box. Beckham tried to refuse as he wanted more space to get it up and down but the ref insisted he take it from the advanced position.

O'Rourke3
18-02-2021, 03:23 PM
I’d propose the idea of referees wearing body cams with retrospective action taken for dissent, foul language and general **** hoosery in the same way they do for diving.Suggested this years ago on the Jim Traynor phone in Laughed of by Jabba A small camera at eye level would soon clear up the refs view of any incident. Technology exists but will never be introduced in Scotland...

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
18-02-2021, 03:35 PM

Was that not a Tony Higgins joke? :greengrin

The dalmeny
18-02-2021, 03:50 PM
He’s a RAF sergeant outside of football so I don’t think he would have been too bothered who they were 😅

but has he done the 5 miler of death (those in the know will know)

The dalmeny
18-02-2021, 03:55 PM
I was quite surprised watching the rugby last weekend that a few Welsh players seemed to mouth off at the ref on a couple of occasions. It was something I had never really seen in rugby before. I wonder if it's a case of them getting closer to football rather than us going in the right direction.

The ref in question can't act like that but referees take a lot of horrendous abuse and it's a wonder more don't lose it from time to time. The top level guys are obviously well compensated for what they do but you see guys in public parks getting £40 having parents and players calling them all sorts. There used to be a Greek guy refereed in Edinburgh, he maybe still does. He was an awful ref but some of the abuse he took was shameful, grown men telling him to **** off back to his own country whilst he was reffing their kids games. If he had smacked someone in the jaw I wouldn't have blamed him one bit.

On the flip side I think refs could help themselves by showing a bit more respect towards players as well. In rugby refs will explain their decisions or give fair warning that if the same offence keeps happening they will penalise it. In football a lot of refs treat players like schoolchildren. 'I've made my decision and I don't have to explain myself to anyone.'

in large areas of Wales rugby is what football is elsewhere and the Welsh treatment of refs is like football but it’s also creeping in with other teams.

that being said one of the Welsh players has just finished a ban for back chatting the ref.

the refs mics need to be on to everyone can hear them explain their decisions. I think a few players mum would get a bit embarrassed bu some of their boys to.

JimBHibees
18-02-2021, 04:50 PM

Rugby is certainly much more competitive especially now being professional and all teams will put pressure to some degree however agree Wales last week especially just after half time were definitely putting the pressure on the ref. Much more obvious of course when no crowd present.