PDA

View Full Version : Castle and a wee dug.

Onion
14-02-2021, 11:26 AM
Davie Provan
13 Feb 2021

HAVING rubbished Hibs’ chances of a third-place Premiership finish, I might be in bother.

Holiday camp Hibees are now looking a decent bet to see off faltering Aberdeen. Incidentally, that holiday camp tag isn’t down to me. It came from former Celtic team-mates who had moved to the Leith outfit. Compared to the pressure they had known in Glasgow, Easter Road was a shift in Butlins.

But if Jack Ross gets them over the line ahead of the Dons, I’ll be happy to suck it up.

If the two Edinburgh clubs ever get their act together, it would be a shot in the arm for our game. And I’m not talking about winning the odd cup. They should be contesting European places EVERY season and putting pressure on the Old Firm.

For too long the pair have been an embarrassment to the capital. One Hibs Scottish Cup win in over 100 years? Lamentable.

Across the city, Hearts — the third-biggest club in the country — are back in the Championship.Given the infrastructure at Tynecastle, that is criminal. They have a terrific support, stadium and training facilities. They can count on fans shovelling £125,000 into the club every month, allowing them to land Liam Boyce.

How in God’s name did they manage to get relegated? Jambos should be nowhere the second tier of Scottish football. Like Hibs, they should never be outside the Premiership’s top six. The last time Hearts mounted a proper title challenge they fell at the last in 1986. Needing only a point against a Dundee side sitting bottom half of the table, they blew it. They’ve never come close since.

Jim Jefferies gave the Old Firm a run for their money in 1998, finishing third and beating Rangers in the Scottish Cup final. Seven years later, with George Burley as boss, they won eight of their first ten league games. But owner Vladimir Romanov sacked Burley and they finished 17 points behind champions Celtic.

In the last decade they’ve had a top-four finish just twice. Hibs had three years in the Championship before going up in 2017.

How do Edinburgh’s big two get away with it? After watching his Hibs side lose, Neil Lennon was asked if the players had a bottle problem. He said: “They shouldn’t have because this isn’t a difficult place to play.” He meant there was none of the pressure that exists at the Old Firm, much less expectation. That environment has done the capital clubs no favours.

Their players get by on a rare cup win without putting in a credible title challenge.

The bar is set higher elsewhere. At Pittodrie, Derek McInnes is being hounded by a section of the Red Army after some poor results. That’s the way it is at demanding clubs. During the McInnes era, Aberdeen have never finished lower than fourth.

Ann Budge and Ron Gordon would die for that record. While McInnes has had the Dons in Europe for seven straight years, the Edinburgh clubs have gone through 12 managers between them and both been relegated during that time.

A city that should be known for its football clubs is famous for a castle and a wee dug.

Ross might have his side looking good for third place but he won’t be getting ahead of himself.

Cup semi-final defeats to Hearts and St Johnstone summed up Hibs’ split personality. A match for anyone on their day, but brittle when the heat’s turned up.

Where do you begin dismantling this nonsense from the Glasgow media ?

G15 Hibs
14-02-2021, 11:28 AM
Stopped reading at 'Davie Provan'

easty
14-02-2021, 11:33 AM
Davie Provans opinion on Hibs? No thanks.

I’m about as interested in that as I am in Little Mix’s opinion on Scottish Independence.

stuart-farquhar
14-02-2021, 11:38 AM
There in black and white is the Glaswegian sense of importance. Patronising, arguably factually incorrect and so bubble minded. "Aye youse challenge us and that, but keep your place as also rans in deference to the metropolitan megabigness of Glasgow so it is by the way".

Lago
14-02-2021, 11:41 AM
Pretty accurate I'd say.

Bostonhibby
14-02-2021, 11:42 AM
Davie Provans opinion on Hibs? No thanks.

I’m about as interested in that as I am in Little Mix’s opinion on Scottish Independence.It's a bit like seeking out Matt Hancock for advice on Track and Trace.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
14-02-2021, 11:47 AM
Provan is a dick.

There is little doubt that Hibs and Hearts have underachieved over the years. Challenging the Old Firm though? There's millions of reasons why that won't be happening and those millions of reasons sit in the accounts under turnover.

The whole article is a long winded way of saying we accept mediocrity which is pish and, quite rightly, gets roundly shouted down on here. Hibs fans want better for the club but there is a realism attached to that.

Since452
Hard to disagree. Only part i disagree with is Hearts being the 3rd biggest club.

Minor gripe though. What is Glasgow famous for? Rab C Nesbit and Jack and Victor? Certainly not their bigoted football clubs. Insignificant clubs in 2021. It's not 1970 anymore.

brog
Talking about Hearts he actually contradicts himself in the space of 2 lines! He says Hearts haven't challenged for the title since 1986, (thank you Sir Albert) & then says they threw down a challenge to the OF in 1998. He's best ignored.

ErinGoBraghHFC
14-02-2021, 11:48 AM
This is going to unpopular but I actually agree with Davie Provan upto a point here. Historically, we've underperformed massively (and so have our smelly ******* neighbours). I don't know the reason and saying Aberdeen have a better mentality or whatever it was he was trying, and failing, to get at is drivel however.

CockneyRebel
14-02-2021, 11:50 AM
Pretty accurate I'd say.

Have to agree with a lot of what he said (but not the way he said it) but it's down to money really. You can only get/keep players relative to the club's income. A good manager with an eye for a player helps but it's generally the size of the support and the amount of investment that carries the day.

CMurdoch
14-02-2021, 11:56 AM
Most supporters are ignorant about other clubs and their players and most pundits are ignorant about clubs and players outside of the Old Firm.
This is an example of the latter.
Without green specs on I still agree with him that Hearts made an unbelievable mess of things to get relegated last season despite having massive financial support but the rest of the report is lazy and shows a remarkable lack of knowledge and insight.
What i will say is that Hibs and Hearts should not be outside the top 6 from now on.

Stanton Spence
14-02-2021, 11:56 AM
Provan is a p***k

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

wallpaperman
14-02-2021, 12:04 PM
He is a complete tool, absurd that he is paid to write drivel like that, and absurd that people read what he has to say on a regular basis.

He is right in the sense that with the resources we have, neither us nor Hearts should be out the top 6 very often. But it’s an awfully written article, presumably aimed at Wegians who will appreciate the wee dig at our city as well.

Topographic Hibby
14-02-2021, 12:10 PM
Provan is a weegie ass and his comment about the castle and dug say more about the brains and character of the man. Sadly, his comments about Hibs and Hearts are accurate. If they had been attributed to Michael Stewart, Tam McManus or god-help-us clowns like Medals McKay or no medals Levein, we would say they are a bit close to home, but probably accurate.

Sad but true.

Wilson
14-02-2021, 12:11 PM
I hope we're getting closer to a place where we're difficult to shift from the top 5 on a season by season basis. There is too much boom and bust at hibs. Traditionally we always seem to be a couple of player sales or a poor managerial appointment from armageddon.

It is difficult to achieve any kind of consistency. Our resources are greater than Motherwell, Dundee United, St Johnstone, and Kilmarnock, but not so vast that we can buy our way out of trouble if they are having a good season and we're having (another) transitional one.

Recruitment is important and I think we're doing that better. The test will be how well we negotiate the next transfer window with the expected player sales.

However, keeping ourselves up where we should be would be a start. Thoughts of challenging for anything beyond that are fanciful unti we can at least do that.

Jim44
14-02-2021, 12:15 PM
Provan is a dick.

There is little doubt that Hibs and Hearts have underachieved over the years. Challenging the Old Firm though? There's millions of reasons why that won't be happening and those millions of reasons sit in the accounts under turnover.

The whole article is a long winded way of saying we accept mediocrity which is pish and, quite rightly, gets roundly shouted down on here. Hibs fans want better for the club but there is a realism attached to that.

Yes, we have underachieved over the years but only in relation to clubs who are on par with us and playing in the same ball park. We’re an easy target for this tosser .......... as I never read his articles, wherever they appear, I wonder what he says and thinks of the demise of his beloved Celtic and the dominance of the club, I assume he hates.

Jack
14-02-2021, 12:18 PM
Generally speaking I think he's right. Still a prick though.

Tommy75
14-02-2021, 12:25 PM
Find it difficult to be offended by guy as I don't think his opinion is worth much. That saidd, I'm not really sure what point he is trying to make? Since 2000 Hibs and Hearts have won 2 trophies each while Aberdeen have only won 1. One solitary trophy in 30 odd years is pretty 'lamentable' for Aberdeen given the money they have ploughed in to their squad over the years.

As fans I'm sure there would be agreement that Hibs have underachieved over the years. However, as for Hibs and Hearts mounting a title challenge, is this guy for real? If either side looked like going the distance, The Rangers and Celtic would be straight in and dismantle the squads in the January window.

Guys like Provan and his OF chums in the media are best ignored. Wish I has stopped reading at Davie Provan like G15 Hibs

B.H.F.C
14-02-2021, 12:42 PM
Generally speaking I think he's right. Still a prick though.

Agree with this. Can’t believe he gets paid for writing something like that though.

CMurdoch
14-02-2021, 12:47 PM
Most supporters are ignorant about other clubs and their players and most pundits are ignorant about clubs and players outside of the Old Firm.
Without green specs on I still agree with him that Hearts made an unbelievable mess of things to get relegated last season despite having massive financial support but the rest of the report is lazy and shows a remarkable lack of knowledge and insight.
What i will say is that Hibs and Hearts should not be outside the top 6 from now on.

Further to the above,
Provans scribblings ignore how much time and money it took for Hibs to fully recover from the perfect storm of the Duff & Grey episode, a stadium consisting of wooden huts from a bygone age and the ancient practice of players travelling in mini buses with equipment every day to train in public parks.
It took the club and supporters almost 30 years to fully put all that right and a lack of consistent achievement on the pitch during that time was the painful cost.

However, after all the sacrifice, Hibs now have a fit for purpose modern stadium and training ground and no debt and can start punching their weight regularly starting with finishing 3rd this season and playing in Europe after Christmas next season. Only poor management and player recruitment, such as Hearts have exemplified in recent years, can damage our future achievement but even that is only temporary when you are financially stable and don't need to build fundamental infrastructure like a stadium. Aberdeen still have that sustained painful expense to face.

Yorkshire HFC
14-02-2021, 01:08 PM

I think that he's right - he's just saying what I read on here every day.

He says that Hibs Scottish Cup record is rubbish - how can you disagree with that?

A Hi-Bee
14-02-2021, 01:10 PM
So now at last I know that I originate from a place that just has a Castle and a wee dug to represent it. (Pretty funny really)
This is from a wedgie with a typical sense of entitlement, be he born or played fitba in what was a ****in village up until the early 18th century.

With the onrush of the industrial revolution with steel and shipbuilding opening up, they had all the one time dispossessed Irish flock back to the west primarily from Ulster where they had been moved a couple of hundred years before. Most of them just going back to where they originated from all them years before.

The football argument is simple and it is based on bigotry and finance, it always makes me laugh when the wedgie comes out wi the fact that they don’t get challenged enough, to be told the answer.That is the one above, they don’t like that one, yet they moan the same when put up against the wealthy clubs of Europe, ****in hypocrites as ever.
**** them all
:cb

matty_f
14-02-2021, 01:23 PM
I can’t stand Davie Provan. He’s brutal (and not in a “look at how direct and honest he is “ way).

H18S NX
14-02-2021, 01:34 PM
The man's a pure melt,his opinion means nowt.

Kato
14-02-2021, 01:34 PM
So now at last I know that I originate from a place that just has a Castle and a wee dug to represent it. (Pretty funny really)
This is from a wedgie with a typical sense of entitlement, be he born or played fitba in what was a ****in village up until the early 18th century.

With the onrush of the industrial revolution with steel and shipbuilding opening up, they had all the one time dispossessed Irish flock back to the west primarily from Ulster where they had been moved a couple of hundred years before. Most of them just going back to where they originated from all them years before.

The football argument is simple and it is based on bigotry and finance, it always makes me laugh when the wedgie comes out wi the fact that they don’t get challenged enough, to be told the answer.That is the one above, they don’t like that one, yet they moan the same when put up against the wealthy clubs of Europe, ****in hypocrites as ever.
**** them all
:cb

That is a huge reason, true. The Old Firm monetised sectarian bigotry to the point where the could finance their hegemony in Scotland easily. Weegies drone on about working class unity and Red Clydeside but the way the city is represented by their football clubs has had a far larger cultural influence.

Oh, and Proven is a grade A dick.

JimBHibees
14-02-2021, 01:35 PM

Agree the pricks prick.

JimBHibees
14-02-2021, 01:52 PM
So who would his team mates be that went on about Holday camp, Walker being the obvious plonker.

Kato
14-02-2021, 01:54 PM
So who would his team mates be that went on about Holday camp, Walker being the obvious plonker.

Mike Conroy holidayed his way through his time at Hibs.

JimBHibees
14-02-2021, 02:13 PM
Mike Conroy holidayed his way through his time at Hibs.

Certainly did horrific player for Hibs.

G B Young
14-02-2021, 02:18 PM
'A city that should be known for its football clubs...'

Typically blinkered view of a 'journalist' whose cultural outlook is shaped solely by football. If he ever took the trouble to step outwith the suffocating confines of the Old Firm bubble he might find out there's more to life.

hibee-boys
14-02-2021, 02:30 PM

Typically blinkered view of a 'journalist' whose cultural outlook is shaped solely by football. If he ever took the trouble to step outwith the suffocating confines of the Old Firm bubble he might find out there's more to life.

Exactly, I’m glad our capital city is better known and recognised for things other than it’s football clubs.......Glasgow on the other hand🤔

JimBHibees
14-02-2021, 02:40 PM

:agree:

EdinMike
14-02-2021, 02:52 PM
Exactly, I’m glad our capital city is better known and recognised for things other than it’s football clubs.......Glasgow on the other hand🤔

The music scene 🤷And sectarianism. First two words that pop to my head.

Keith_M
14-02-2021, 02:55 PM
Hibs and Hearts have underachieved over the years. That part is hard to argue with.

I'd like to know what he thinks the solution to that would be, though, as he doesn't provide much in the way of suggestions as to how we should compete for the title with two clubs whose active and latent support is now about ten times the size of ours.

To do so would require some Arab Sheikh or Russian Oligarch to come here and spend like they did at Chelsea and Manchester City.

ShadesLongThrow
14-02-2021, 03:03 PM
The holiday camp jibe has Andy Walker written all over it.

ben johnson
14-02-2021, 03:13 PM
Glasgow known for its 2 hugely successful football clubs
Glasgow should be known for its stinking hatred of another persons religion out of blind loyalty to their team. It’s led to supporters being murdered on the streets of the dear green place
I’ll keep my team , castle and dug thank you.

Onion
14-02-2021, 03:30 PM
Provan's lashing out at Hibs, Hearts and Edinburgh to sooth his and Celtic fans' crushing disappointment at failing to secure their beloved 10IAR. The regurgitated "lack of competition" just when Celtic needed some. Darn !

Zero acknowledgement of the TEN FOLD budget Celtic /Sevco enjoy year after year after year, the cherry-picking our best talent to strengthen them and weaken others, the unspoken advantage they've had from officials and authorities for decades and unwavering support they get from MSM when they want the competition disrupted.

A pathetic piece of ignorant, self-soothing nonsense - yet deemed worthy of being published in the very same MSM :greengrin

JimBHibees
14-02-2021, 03:42 PM
Provan's lashing out at Hibs, Hearts and Edinburgh to sooth his and Celtic fans' crushing disappointment at failing to secure their beloved 10IAR. The regurgitated "lack of competition" just when Celtic needed some. Darn !

Zero acknowledgement of the TEN FOLD budget Celtic /Sevco enjoy year after year after year, the cherry-picking our best talent to strengthen them and weaken others, the unspoken advantage they've had from officials and authorities for decades and unwavering support they get from MSM when they want the competition disrupted.

A pathetic piece of ignorant, self-soothing nonsense - yet deemed worthy of being published in the very same MSM :greengrin

Absolutely nail on the head.

WoreTheGreen
14-02-2021, 03:52 PM

Agree 100% no criticism of wee Lenny a smokescreen of diversion he has zero credibility. Hearts training ground -does he know it’s rented

xyz23jc
14-02-2021, 03:58 PM

:top marks:agree:

Jones28
14-02-2021, 04:05 PM

Nothing more needs said.

basehibby
14-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Further to the above,
Provans scribblings ignore how much time and money it took for Hibs to fully recover from the perfect storm of the Duff & Grey episode, a stadium consisting of wooden huts from a bygone age and the ancient practice of players travelling in mini buses with equipment every day to train in public parks.
It took the club and supporters almost 30 years to fully put all that right and a lack of consistent achievement on the pitch during that time was the painful cost.

However, after all the sacrifice, Hibs now have a fit for purpose modern stadium and training ground and no debt and can start punching their weight regularly starting with finishing 3rd this season and playing in Europe after Christmas next season. Only poor management and player recruitment, such as Hearts have exemplified in recent years, can damage our future achievement but even that is only temporary when you are financially stable and don't need to build fundamental infrastructure like a stadium. Aberdeen still have that sustained painful expense to face.

:top marksThis addresses perfectly the realities that Hibs have had to deal with over the last 30years which Provan proves himself blissfully ignorant of. It's broadly true that Hibs have underachieved on the pitch for the size of club we are over the years, but if you look at where we are OFF the pitch compared to the early 90s it becomes clear that PLENTY has been achieved over that time - particularly when compared to Aberdeen and Hearts who both have much distance to cover before they come near to Hibs' position of having a fully paid for state of the art stadium and training facility with zero debt.

Of course us fans desperately crave success on the football pitch, but by and large we have been realistic enough to recognise the importance of the work done on the club's infrastructure and have bitten the bullet and shown the patience and forebearance to allow this to happen. Now we are in the healthy position we have created for ourselves I think expectations for performance on the pitch will rise. As they should do for a club which now has multiples of the budget to spend on players compared to half the other clubs in the league - now that supplementary demands on the budget have been met for the forseeable future.

McSwanky
14-02-2021, 04:17 PM
I was interested to read of the incident in 1986. I must admit, my memory is a bit foggy, but did it have something to do with a toilet? And a small chap that looked a bit like a scouser?

Hibernia&Alba
14-02-2021, 04:28 PM
I won't have Greyfriars Bobby mocked. You've crossed the line, Provan.

hibee-boys
14-02-2021, 04:47 PM
I won't have Greyfriars Bobby mocked. You've crossed the line, Provan.

Next he’ll be telling us it’s a made up story!😏

Brightside
14-02-2021, 04:51 PM
He doesn’t write that. Makes a few comments and a subby writes it all.

truehibernian
14-02-2021, 05:07 PM
The holiday camp jibe has Andy Walker written all over it.

Or Murdo MacLeod :cb

The Harp Awakes
14-02-2021, 05:15 PM
If you take out all the irritating digs and snide comments from the article, what he's saying is fair enough. Both Hibs and Hearts have massively underachieved over the years, regularly getting beaten/outperformed by clubs operating on a fraction of their budgets.

I think there's actually different reasons for this underachievement between the clubs; i agree with Provan that everything has been a bit too nice at Hibs over the years. We've generally lacked leadership, ambition and mental strength both on and off the pitch more often than not. Hopefully RG has spotted this and things will change going forward.

As for Hearts, their predicament is more down to complete mismanagement of both their finances and football affairs. They must have wasted a scary amount of money over the last 3 of 4 years on dud players in particular, which ultimately led to their relegation.

The only other thing I'd add is that I don't think you can hold Aberdeen up as a shining example of achievement. Yes their league finishes have been decent over the last decade but they've also won only 1 cup I think in the last 25 years or so.

CB Hibs 68
14-02-2021, 05:21 PM
Or Murdo MacLeod :cbNah not Murdo.Always got the impression that he enjoyed himself at Hibs.Walker however looked like he would rather be any where else than Easter Rd.

truehibernian
14-02-2021, 05:26 PM
Nah not Murdo.Always got the impression that he enjoyed himself at Hibs.Walker however looked like he would rather be any where else than Easter Rd.

He loved his time at Hibs, but coming from Celtic and Dortmund into what was at the time a club in a shambles having nearly been extinct I can see the wee man saying it :greengrin

Having bumped into him last year at a very salubrious garden party I can however confirm he has a soft spot for Hibs even now :aok:

Since452
14-02-2021, 05:51 PM
The holidays camp thing is probably correct. For a club our size, our record over the last 30 years is very poor. In saying that, it's better than Aberdeens record who he was alluding to having a better mentality than Hibs which is horse ****. He's also forgetting they should have been relegated twice but we're saved because Brockville was a midden and league reconstruction.

Smartie
14-02-2021, 05:53 PM
I can’t stand Provan but apart from the daft “dug and castle” jibe (of which I bet he’s particularly proud) I thought it was probably one of the most accurate things I’ve ever read/ heard from him. Obviously there was little attempt to exercise the cells that reside beneath that barnet of his and understand why exactly those teams are where they are, but that would be way beyond his very limited capability.

If a city with little more than sectarianism, gang violence and knife crime can provide decent football teams then surely we can find ourselves teams to do justice to a modern capital city that is home to a parliament, an international festival and so much more.

Smartie
14-02-2021, 05:58 PM
If you take out all the irritating digs and snide comments from the article, what he's saying is fair enough. Both Hibs and Hearts have massively underachieved over the years, regularly getting beaten/outperformed by clubs operating on a fraction of their budgets.

I think there's actually different reasons for this underachievement between the clubs; i agree with Provan that everything has been a bit too nice at Hibs over the years. We've generally lacked leadership, ambition and mental strength both on and off the pitch more often than not. Hopefully RG has spotted this and things will change going forward.

As for Hearts, their predicament is more down to complete mismanagement of both their finances and football affairs. They must have wasted a scary amount of money over the last 3 of 4 years on dud players in particular, which ultimately led to their relegation.

The only other thing I'd add is that I don't think you can hold Aberdeen up as a shining example of achievement. Yes their league finishes have been decent over the last decade but they've also won only 1 cup I think in the last 25 years or so.

I think the reasonable point is that Aberdeen are unhappy with that underachievement.

The fans of the Edinburgh clubs are pretty passive when all is said and done.

Still, we’re in a decent position to improve. That might even have been his point.

h1bs4life
14-02-2021, 06:05 PM
Provan is best ignored he is hurting cause his club has bottled 10 in a row.
Must admit I don't buy the paper he allegedly writes for but I assume there have been scathing articles all season about his beloved
Celtc as well as his hard hitting articles about sectarianism in football.
Provan is another so called journalist from the west who doesn't mention the elephant in the room as it doesn't sell papers which is also why no political party in Scotland has seriously tackled it either it's not a vote winner.
A major change to the rules in 1981 made a big difference to how the honours would be shared in Scotland .
Not sure how Hibs voted but going from sharing gate money to home team keep the money had a major impact.
It took a few seasons to filter through but that's one of the main reasons the last non erse cheek team to win it was Aberdeen in 1984-85 season.

h1bs4life
14-02-2021, 06:10 PM
Just finished watching Arsenal v Leeds on sky next programme is Outraged which rightly tackles discrimination.
Assuming they never did the survey in Scotland as it says 39% of football fans have heard discrimination at football games.

leith lynx
14-02-2021, 10:15 PM

Alan Sneddon, George Mckluskey.

Wilson
15-02-2021, 07:21 AM
Alan Sneddon, George Mckluskey.

Craig Levine is a wee bit husky.

Alfred E Newman
15-02-2021, 07:41 AM
I can't be bothered with the guy but it's hard to argue with most of his article.

Kaff
15-02-2021, 07:41 AM
Provan is best ignored he is hurting cause his club has bottled 10 in a row.
Must admit I don't buy the paper he allegedly writes for but I assume there have been scathing articles all season about his beloved
Celtc as well as his hard hitting articles about sectarianism in football.
Provan is another so called journalist from the west who doesn't mention the elephant in the room as it doesn't sell papers which is also why no political party in Scotland has seriously tackled it either it's not a vote winner.
A major change to the rules in 1981 made a big difference to how the honours would be shared in Scotland .
Not sure how Hibs voted but going from sharing gate money to home team keep the money had a major impact.
It took a few seasons to filter through but that's one of the main reasons the last non erse cheek team to win it was Aberdeen in 1984-85 season.

Just my thought but someone like Provan is probably glad Rangers are going to win and stop 10 in a row as it keeps the old firm nonsense relative and him in his high profile job.
If Celtic went on and won 12/13/14 and so on then I'd sense the like of Sky would put less value to the games.

I don't think he actually wants a genuine challenge from outside Glasgow but this type of rhetoric from him is more to uphold how 'great' it is we have the Of to carry our game.
One thing that would improve the game overnight would be people in his position speaking favourably about the game in the same way the English leagues are always spoken about despite many very poor games taking place, there has to be a positive angle that can be spoken about and to be fair BT we're on the right track with that.

FilipinoHibs
15-02-2021, 07:47 AM
The Old Firm's success is based on sectarianism and the continued fostering of it. Glasgow has a population 1.5 times that of Edinburgh but the old firm attract 112,000 thousand fans compared to an average of around 38,000 combined for Hibs and Hearts. The Old Firms global fan base is similarly huge and again rooted n sectarianism. The gate revenues and them taking the majority of the TV money explains their dominance. Nothing else

Carheenlea
15-02-2021, 08:24 AM
To summarise :

One of Scotland’s most miserable men makes some cheerless negative comments dripping with bitterness.

stuart-farquhar
15-02-2021, 09:02 AM
The Old Firm's success is based on sectarianism and the continued fostering of it. Glasgow has a population 1.5 times that of Edinburgh but the old firm attract 112,000 thousand fans compared to an average of around 38,000 combined for Hibs and Hearts. The Old Firms global fan base is similarly huge and again rooted n sectarianism. The gate revenues and them taking the majority of the TV money explains their dominance. Nothing else

Glasgow has 600,000 plus Edinburgh has 500,000 plus. Not much in the City populations. We sll know that they have followe all over the country. The ones who take sides based on religion practiced or not. The glory hunters, like the odd character I know who lives in Lochend but is a rabid hun. Dotted all over the city They are. The kindom of Fife, lanarkshire, Ayrshire and so on. Full of them. None whom seem to have any sense of loyalty(pun intended) to their local teams. Will indeed happily invade the home ends to watch their beloved Glasgow, for that is who they are in reality. Imagine the absurdity of being e.g a Bonnyrigg born and bred but supporting an Ayrshire side. Where is the connect. Where is the sense of pride in your own city, town or village. Every game an away one.

The Glasow Rangers and Cetic of the same town are what they are because the media endlessly trumpets their superiority. Your wee man in Kirkcaldy that I had sat near (last time pubs were open) dressed in full RFC kit. I I couldn't resist asking why. "Well"he said, looking a bit bemused. Rovers nivver win anything so it no worth it like" "But it's your local team right" "No" he replied " all my family are Rangers".

The Provan article is just another we dig to remind everyone who rules in football. Their followers lap it up.

LancsHibs
15-02-2021, 10:43 AM
Provan is a p***k

Can’t disagree with this or with a lot of what he was tying to say in his own slaving style

Stanton Spence
15-02-2021, 10:45 AM
Can’t disagree with this or with a lot of what he was tying to say in his own slaving styleI think that's why I stopped at calling him a p***k bud

Renfrew_Hibby
15-02-2021, 11:25 AM
Glasgow has 600,000 plus Edinburgh has 500,000 plus. Not much in the City populations. We sll know that they have followe all over the country. The ones who take sides based on religion practiced or not. The glory hunters, like the odd character I know who lives in Lochend but is a rabid hun. Dotted all over the city They are. The kindom of Fife, lanarkshire, Ayrshire and so on. Full of them. None whom seem to have any sense of loyalty(pun intended) to their local teams. Will indeed happily invade the home ends to watch their beloved Glasgow, for that is who they are in reality. Imagine the absurdity of being e.g a Bonnyrigg born and bred but supporting an Ayrshire side. Where is the connect. Where is the sense of pride in your own city, town or village. Every game an away one.

The Glasow Rangers and Cetic of the same town are what they are because the media endlessly trumpets their superiority. Your wee man in Kirkcaldy that I had sat near (last time pubs were open) dressed in full RFC kit. I I couldn't resist asking why. "Well"he said, looking a bit bemused. Rovers nivver win anything so it no worth it like" "But it's your local team right" "No" he replied " all my family are Rangers".

The Provan article is just another we dig to remind everyone who rules in football. Their followers lap it up.

Been over this before but although Glasgow's population is around 600K, the urban metro population is at least 1.2M, way way greater than Edinburgh's.
I agree with what you're saying though.

Keith_M
15-02-2021, 11:33 AM
Been over this before but although Glasgow's population is around 600K, the urban metro population is at least 1.2M, way way greater than Edinburgh's.

Urban (metro) populations are listed as:

Edinburgh: 900,000

Glasgow: 1,600,000

The number of football clubs in the Glasgow urban area is three times higher than in the Edinburgh urban area but, as we all know, most of them support one or other of the Uglies.

stuart-farquhar
15-02-2021, 11:38 AM

I understand your point. However the surrounding towns are large Paisley Hamilton to name but two with their own professional clubs. The so called Edinburgh city region has a population of about 1.2million and again the towns included in that whilst also having their own clubs leak fans to Glasgow. Let's face it it's nothing to do with the size of the cities and the arguable regional populations it's 2 clubs drawing from the whole of Scotland.. so let's call the Glagow football area 5.4 million. (Plus Northern Ireland if course:rolleyes:

Since452
15-02-2021, 11:47 AM
Be interesting to know how many thousands of Irish fans go to Celtic and Rangers games. Must be a lot.

KeithTheHibby
15-02-2021, 12:31 PM
Kris Boyd is the pricks prick but Provan is running him close. Fanny.

Clarence
15-02-2021, 01:40 PM
Baw baggio