PDA

View Full Version : Songs that blow your mind

matty_f
12-02-2021, 08:21 AM
We’ve got a few musical threads on this forum, but wanted to get your input on songs that, whether it was the first time you ever heard them or still to this day left you thinking “wow!” so not necessarily brilliant songs, but stunning ones.

(Reason for this thread, and why it sprung to mind is I’m currently in my car, waiting on my wife returning with her mum from her mum’s COVID vaccination, and Radiohead’s “How to Disappear Completely” came on my Spotify, and it’s one such song. Haunting, melancholy, uplifting, beautiful, disturbing at various stages throughout. It is, imho, an absolute work of genius).

Hiber-nation
12-02-2021, 08:49 AM
Agree totally about How To Disappear Completely. And loads of other Radiohead stuff.

Difficult to pin down individual songs though, if you're looking for something moving, haunting and disturbing then The Terror album by The Flaming Lips will do the job, quite astonishing piece of music. I'd also vote for most of All Is Dream and Deserter's Songs by Mercury Rev, not disturbing but haunting and beautiful.

Alfiembra
12-02-2021, 09:04 AM
If you have a quiet half hour to yourself and if you’ve never heard it before Shine on you Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd especially the later parts to it are mind blowing.

Smartie
12-02-2021, 09:11 AM
I've only fairly recently got into Kraftwerk.

It is pretty mind-blowing to think that Autobahn is not far off being half a century old.

Peevemor
12-02-2021, 09:28 AM
"Under the Bridge", Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Radio 1 (I think) ran a version of Jukebox Jury on Friday about 6.00pm at the time (1992) and I was waiting on my train home in the Waverley and listening on my Walkman.

I was gobsmacked - I remember that it instantly made me think of the Stones' "You can't alway get what you want"

I quite like the Chillis though I've never been a mega fan, but that song really struck me.

Then there was the first time I saw the Proclaimers on Channel 4's The Tube singing live (Throw the R away) - crikey!

matty_f
12-02-2021, 09:54 AM
Agree totally about How To Disappear Completely. And loads of other Radiohead stuff.

Difficult to pin down individual songs though, if you're looking for something moving, haunting and disturbing then The Terror album by The Flaming Lips will do the job, quite astonishing piece of music. I'd also vote for most of All Is Dream and Deserter's Songs by Mercury Rev, not disturbing but haunting and beautiful.

Good shout.

Radiohead aren’t everybody’s cup of tea but i honestly think they’re astonishingly good. Like you say, there’s a few of their tracks that are incredible in different ways.

Jim44
12-02-2021, 10:32 AM
I nominate Wind of Change by The Scorpions. They’re maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but I really like the haunting melody and lyrics. More importantly, some songs are just so appropriate for their time and Wind of Change echoes the collapse of communist domination in Europe and expresses hope for peace in the future.

weecounty hibby
12-02-2021, 01:03 PM
Golden Brown bybtge Stranglers. Everyone i hear it i just have to sit down, be quiet, and I totally just slip away into a wee world of my own thoughts and memories. Not the most profound lyrics ever but just something about the song that does that to me

Sylar
12-02-2021, 02:00 PM
Four come to mind in this category - songs where you rarely skip, and can sit intently listening for the duration, often finding something you hadn't discovered before.

Citizen Erased by Muse - the riff, the atmosphere, the vocals, the transition to a classical finish...
Talking Heads by Northlane - a perfect representation of Australian metalcore - the drop after the first chorus is absolutely filthy.
Death Cab for Cutie - they have a few, but Bixby Canyon Bridge is probably my favourite.
Trilogy by Silent Planet - brutal, relentless, spacy, anthemic and one of the hardest hitting metalcore breakdowns I've heard.

Pretty Boy
12-02-2021, 02:21 PM
Dance with the Devil by Immortal Technique. I'd listened to rap and hip hop for years when I heard it for the 1st time and it was like nothing else.

Blood of A Young Wolf by Buck 65. I'm not even totally sure I know what it's trying to say but I'm certain it's something important.

Lua by Bright Eyes. Just because it's really simple and brilliant.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-02-2021, 03:23 PM
I nominate Wind of Change by The Scorpions. They’re maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but I really like the haunting melody and lyrics. More importantly, some songs are just so appropriate for their time and Wind of Change echoes the collapse of communist domination in Europe and expresses hope for peace in the future.

I was in Switzerland for a Scotland game (2-2) we stayed in a a wee place in The Black Forest, there was no escape from that whistling nonsense! 😉

Pedantic_Hibee
12-02-2021, 03:40 PM
Eve - Let Me Blow Your Mind.

Hiber-nation
12-02-2021, 03:54 PM
Death Cab for Cutie - they have a few, but Bixby Canyon Bridge is probably my favourite.

Fantastic choice! One of my faves along with Transatlanticism and Grapevine Fires. And lots of others (but definitely none on their last 3 albums!)

Northernhibee
12-02-2021, 04:25 PM
McFlurry by Sleaford Mods. First song I heard from them and was amazed by the sheer force of anger from Jason Williamson's vocals and the simplicity of the music.

Girls of Summer by Arab Strap.

Machine Gun by Portishead.

The Meaning of the Ritual by Villagers. First seen him support Fyfe Dangerfield in Glasgow and it was just him and his guitar. Hadn't heard him before that and when he shuffled shyly and nervously onto the stage, nobody thought a thing but when he opened his mouth to sing you could have heard the noise of three hundred jaws hitting the ****ing floor. His recorded works don't do justice to how powerful a performer he is when he doesn't have a band and it's just him.

The Anchor Song by Bjork too. Such a simplistic, minimalistic arrangement but the emotion in her vocals is off the scale. Possibly the best (and least compromising) festival headliner I've ever seen.

Hibbyradge
12-02-2021, 04:48 PM
Good shout about HTDC. Loads of Radiohead songs have that effect if you are able to listen to them properly. Fake Plastic Trees is another example.

I remember being completely overwhelmed at the Eels with Strings gig when he sang Things the Grandchildren Should Know.

I'd owned Blinking Lights and loved it, but somehow seeing and hearing that song live moved me more than I'd ever experienced. My mate was the same. We both just said F#^&£#" hell or something.

Hearing/seeing EC sing Shipbuilding for the first time was amazing too.

Northernhibee
12-02-2021, 04:50 PM

I remember being completely overwhelmed at the Eels with Strings gig when he sang Things the Grandchildren Should Know.

I'd owned Blinking Lights and loved it, but somehow seeing and hearing that song live moved me more than I'd ever experienced. My mate was the same. We both just said F#^&£#" hell or something.

That song gets me every single time, along with Railroad Man from the same album.

Hibbyradge
12-02-2021, 05:17 PM
That song gets me every single time, along with Railroad Man from the same album.

He exorcised all his demons in those songs and the resulting Blinking Lights album was a masterpiece.

I love everything he did up to that, but sadly nothing since has gone close.

I've seen Eels loads of times, and I'll continue to go to their gigs, but they've lost that special edge.

CropleyWasGod
12-02-2021, 05:39 PM
He exorcised all his demons in those songs and the resulting Blinking Lights album was a masterpiece.

I love everything he did up to that, but sadly nothing since has gone close.

I've seen Eels loads of times, and I'll continue to go to their gigs, but they've lost that special edge.

Your post about Carole King reminded me of one. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow had me in bits this afternoon.

Hibbyradge
12-02-2021, 05:45 PM

Did you get to the Eels with Strings tour? If not, get a copy of Eels: Town Hall live DVD.

In fact, get a copy anyway. It's excellent ☺️

Edit: I just checked YouTube. There's a full concert video available. 👍

Jim44
12-02-2021, 05:56 PM
I was in Switzerland for a Scotland game (2-2) we stayed in a a wee place in The Black Forest, there was no escape from that whistling nonsense! 😉

...... cue a new thread ...... songs featuring ‘whistling’ ........... they’re not all rubbish. 🥴

CropleyWasGod
12-02-2021, 06:43 PM
...... cue a new thread ...... songs featuring ‘whistling’ ........... they’re not all rubbish. 🥴

Dock of the Bay :top marks

MagicSwirlingShip
12-02-2021, 08:04 PM
Loaded by Primal Scream.

Angel by Massive Attack.

76 14 by Global Communication.

MagicSwirlingShip
12-02-2021, 08:06 PM
There’s also an amazing version of Comfortably Numb, sang by Van Morrison that appears in the film ‘The Departed’ - magical

Lancs Harp
12-02-2021, 09:27 PM
Anyone gone through a bad time will understand "hello darkness my old friend" the sound of silence. Originally Simon and Gartfunkel of course but my favourite version is by Nouela. Just makes me cry. If you've been there you will understand.

Peevemor
12-02-2021, 09:32 PM
Dock of the Bay :top marksMe and Julio down by the schoolyard.

degenerated
12-02-2021, 09:36 PM
Springtime by Leatherface, one of the best punk rock songs ever written - in my opinion [emoji16]
Lyrically its well crafted and musically its simply superb. Frankie Stubbs gravelly vocals aren't going to be everyone's cup of tea but for me this is just perfection.

https://youtu.be/oZQ_7s0Fg48

Bangkok Hibby
13-02-2021, 08:16 AM
Don't make me cry by Storyville. Folded after three albums (I think)
Malford Milligan is an amazing singer and great front man. Lots on youtube, well worth a listen.

sleeping giant
13-02-2021, 09:43 AM
I'm losing more than i'll ever have -
Primal Scream. Its utterly fantastic and raw emotion.

The Soft Parade - The Doors.
Its a musical masterpiece.

SneakersO'Toole
13-02-2021, 09:54 AM
We’ve got a few musical threads on this forum, but wanted to get your input on songs that, whether it was the first time you ever heard them or still to this day left you thinking “wow!” so not necessarily brilliant songs, but stunning ones.

(Reason for this thread, and why it sprung to mind is I’m currently in my car, waiting on my wife returning with her mum from her mum’s COVID vaccination, and Radiohead’s “How to Disappear Completely” came on my Spotify, and it’s one such song. Haunting, melancholy, uplifting, beautiful, disturbing at various stages throughout. It is, imho, an absolute work of genius).

Totally agree and you could add The Pyramid Song to that along with a couple of other quite unbelievable Radiohead songs. As a band, they are quite simply one of the most creative and innovative bands ever.

Northernhibee
13-02-2021, 10:54 AM
Totally agree and you could add The Pyramid Song to that along with a couple of other quite unbelievable Radiohead songs. As a band, they are quite simply one of the most creative and innovative bands ever.

Myxomatosis too.

Tyler Durden
13-02-2021, 06:59 PM

Great thread 👏🏻

I agree with Radiohead - “Everything in its Right Place” is another one. For me this type of “stop you in your tracks” song tends to be the more melancholy ones.

Few that I think fit the bill for me.. firstly The Beach Boys. “Caroline, No” or “Don’t Stop..” from Pet Sounds. Just amazing songs, such a mood of their own.

Kinda similar song, first came across it by Arctic Monkeys covering but love the original is “Only You Know” by Dion. What a voice.

A song that I’ve been listening to almost daily recently would be “It’s a very deep sea” by The Style Council. Hard to describe why exactly but it’s a classic song

Green Man
13-02-2021, 07:35 PM
As mentioned by others, Radiohead have many incredible songs. When OK Computer came out I used to listen to it endlessly, lying in bed trying to understand how an album could be so good.

BroxburnHibee
13-02-2021, 08:55 PM
Cloudbusting always stops me in my tracks.

Just love it.

MrRobot
15-02-2021, 09:40 PM
Mothership by Enter Shikari

Radium
15-02-2021, 10:15 PM
Anyone gone through a bad time will understand "hello darkness my old friend" the sound of silence. Originally Simon and Gartfunkel of course but my favourite version is by Nouela. Just makes me cry. If you've been there you will understand.

Powerful version. Recently bumped into the Disturbed version of the song which is a slightly different take again but has the darkness that the lyrics deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G15 Hibs
16-02-2021, 02:19 PM
The first time I heard Oh Yeah by Can I thought I was in another place

Curried
17-02-2021, 12:33 PM
The first time I heard Oh Yeah by Can I thought I was in another place

Me too......Timeless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRMSjidUB_o

Northernhibee
17-02-2021, 12:37 PM
Debaser by Pixies is another one. They've got so many tunes that aren't just great, but they don't outstay their welcome.

Curried
17-02-2021, 01:00 PM
This song was dug up in the Life Aquatic a few years back, and i'm so glad, it blows my mind:-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYwL3SmcnB4

Keith_M
17-02-2021, 01:09 PM
Watching this video for the first time certainly blew my mind. I didn't realise they were both members of The Buggles...

https://youtu.be/25GjijODWoI

Dalianwanda
17-02-2021, 01:54 PM
I’d have to say Born Slippy live at T In The Park 1995. From my blurred recollection I’d left Kylie to go and catch Underworld in the king tuts tent. I hadn’t heard of them prior to the run up to the festival. Born Slippy just blew my mind & went on for ages just building and building into the joyous cacophony we know. I went straight out on the monday and got Dubnobasswiyhmyheadman only for it not to be on it!

Curried
18-02-2021, 10:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjF4ZHuIko

matty_f
18-02-2021, 02:26 PM
I’d have to say Born Slippy live at T In The Park 1995. From my blurred recollection I’d left Kylie to go and catch Underworld in the king tuts tent. I hadn’t heard of them prior to the run up to the festival. Born Slippy just blew my mind & went on for ages just building and building into the joyous cacophony we know. I went straight out on the monday and got Dubnobasswiyhmyheadman only for it not to be on it!

I had similar when I saw Leftfield for the first time at the Homelands festival, and they played Phat Planet. I'm honestly not that much of a dance music fan (the likes of Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, Moby are about the extent of it!).

I was a fan of Leftfield already and knew the song, but for whatever reason I didn't expect them to 'play' it (I thought it would be all electronic, done through a Mac etc) so when they opened up with the thumping drum (think they made it specially for that song, with super-bass or something) I was blown away. It was incredible.

Green Man
18-02-2021, 04:07 PM
I had similar when I saw Leftfield for the first time at the Homelands festival, and they played Phat Planet. I'm honestly not that much of a dance music fan (the likes of Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, Moby are about the extent of it!).

I was a fan of Leftfield already and knew the song, but for whatever reason I didn't expect them to 'play' it (I thought it would be all electronic, done through a Mac etc) so when they opened up with the thumping drum (think they made it specially for that song, with super-bass or something) I was blown away. It was incredible.

Was that when Homelands was down in Cumnock? I was there as well, Leftfield were superb, so much so that I went to see them again at T in the Park a few weeks later.

The_Exile
18-02-2021, 06:42 PM
My immediate thought was Radiohead with Everything In It's Right Place, but I see that's already been mentioned.

Roads by Portishead is another one and Groove Armada with At The River, with that silky smooth sample of Patti Pages 'Old Cape Cod' is just mesmerising, and listened to at dusk after a nice hot summers day with a cold beer is heaven.

I was born in the early 80s so the whole Britpop, chillout and trip-hop genres were in full swing by the time I hit my teens, so a lot of my musical enjoyment was borne from this type of music. Jeff Buckley, Morcheeba, Portishead, Radiohead, Doves, Turn Brakes, Elbow, Massive Attack, Air, Zero 7 all bands who's music I love and that's just off the top of my head, if I was to go through my old music/cd/record collection I could list dozens more.

patch1875
18-02-2021, 06:49 PM
Bitter sweet Sympathy- The Verve
Disarm - The Smashing Pumkins
Breed - Nirvana

matty_f
18-02-2021, 09:32 PM
Was that when Homelands was down in Cumnock? I was there as well, Leftfield were superb, so much so that I went to see them again at T in the Park a few weeks later.

Yeah, highlights were Moby and Leftfield, and after that my memory is quite fuzzy for a number of tablet-sized reasons! :faf:

Dalianwanda
19-02-2021, 07:06 AM

I’ve seen them a couple of times. Once when they did Leftism in its entirety, that was unreal! The second where they went a bit more artsy, the first few tunes were just to build mood, i didn’t know them and it was getting a bit chilly so i bailed......(heard later it turned into one of the sets of the weekend.......that’s the festival gamble 😉)

northstandhibby
29-05-2021, 04:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmoDAj1nTAM

Frazerbob
30-05-2021, 03:16 PM
First time I heard Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode live I genuinely lost it. After seeing them perform it over 50 times, I still get goosebumps. And gave to fight back the tears. Just a perfect pop song and so good live.

The other live track I genuinely feel privileged to have heard on a number of occasions is Purple Rain by Prince. Totally mind blowing. So sad that I won’t get to experience it again.

Santa Cruz
30-05-2021, 10:02 PM
First time I heard Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode live I genuinely lost it. After seeing them perform it over 50 times, I still get goosebumps. And gave to fight back the tears. Just a perfect pop song and so good live.

The other live track I genuinely feel privileged to have heard on a number of occasions is Purple Rain by Prince. Totally mind blowing. So sad that I won’t get to experience it again.

I was working at his concert at Meadowbank in the early 90's. I wasn't even a fan, until I heard him live, he had a tremendous voice.

Wouldn't describe my choice as mind blowing, I just love listening to it - Travelling Willbury's, Handle With Care.

CmoantheHibs
11-06-2021, 01:45 PM
Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Always lifts me up and makes me contemplate what is important in life.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-06-2021, 02:46 PM
I was working at his concert at Meadowbank in the early 90's. I wasn't even a fan, until I heard him live, he had a tremendous voice.

That's the only concert I've ever been to, still not got over the fact that TTF never came on. 😉

northstandhibby
11-06-2021, 08:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3_0GqPvr4U

WeeRussell
15-06-2021, 09:57 PM
Funny how many of the same bands appear, and couple are same for me despite not being at the top of my favourite artist lists. Obviously part of it is some styles just lend themselves to the blowing of minds more than others.

Pink Floyd - wish you were here
Radiohead - fake plastic trees
Rolling Stones - let it loose/wild horses/can’t you hear me knocking
Stone roses - elephant stone (full intro version)
EmmyLou Harris - Goodbye (Steve Earle cover)

HibbyDave
30-07-2021, 03:58 PM
Afternoon delight. No idea why but it’s an ear worm for me.

Starland Vocal Band.

Babyshamble
31-07-2021, 05:49 PM
Servo - The Brian Jonestown Massacre
Silver - DMA'S
Kowalski- Primal scream

Babyshamble
16-08-2021, 08:30 PM
Redemption song - Johnny cash /joe strummer

alhibby
19-08-2021, 10:32 PM
I'm 65, but Dakota By Stereophonics gets me bouncing like a young 'un, I just love this song

Block
20-08-2021, 09:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usYgf8cVfvU

Great band. One of my favourite songs. :aok:

degenerated
21-08-2021, 07:01 PM
Blocked out by Rick Kids on LSD is another one of those for me. RKL were the pioneers of the skate punk sound that became huge early to mid 90s, though they were doing it a decade prior. The band that NOFX aspired to be but couldn't, and when they did get it RKL just upped the stakes again with a classic album Rock and Roll Nightmare. It's the prized album in my collection and blocked out is the song that demonstrates the technical ability. Sadly never got to see them.

https://youtu.be/RjxqM5lPUxo

Northernhibee
21-08-2021, 08:51 PM
'A Brighter Beat' by Malcolm Middleton. The guitar work is fantastic.

Babyshamble
21-08-2021, 08:56 PM
https://youtu.be/rjSQNmC7M7g
We never had a chance. The Brian Jonestown Massacre

Block
21-08-2021, 10:07 PM
https://youtu.be/rjSQNmC7M7g
We never had a chance. The Brian Jonestown Massacre

Enjoyed that.

:aok:

Block
21-08-2021, 10:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s11BuatTuXk

An auld classic.

Block
21-08-2021, 11:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvnYmWpD_T8

Babyshamble
22-08-2021, 07:52 PM

An auld classic.

Brilliant mate. Seen the pogues in Hyde Park a few years ago.great band

Peevemor
22-08-2021, 08:56 PM

An auld classic.Written by Ewan MacColl - Kirsty's dad.

Block
22-08-2021, 10:48 PM
Written by Ewan MacColl - Kirsty's dad.

Block
22-08-2021, 10:56 PM
Brilliant mate. Seen the pogues in Hyde Park a few years ago.great band

Down to earth band singing their Irish roots hearts out. Nothing else needed.

Dalianwanda
23-08-2021, 09:09 AM
Through the years: Roxanne - The Police, Prince Charming - Adam and The Ants, Just Cant Get Enough - Depeche Mode, There Is A light that Never Goes Out - The Smiths, Dignity - Deacon Blue, Purple Rain - Prince, Creep - Radiohead, Babies - Pulp, Rez (live) - Underworld, Little Fluffy Clouds - Orb, Beta Band - Dry The Rain, All My Friends (live) - LCD Sound System, Sun (live) - Caribou, Floating - Jape, Lankum (absolutely anything they do :-)

Just_Jimmy
23-08-2021, 09:07 PM
Written by Ewan MacColl - Kirsty's dad.about Salford where he grew up. it's a banging tune.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Block
23-08-2021, 10:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOBZ6ygWk7I

Tribute to Brian Travers UB40 saxophone player who very sadly died of the very frustratingly devastating disease that is cancer.

RIP Brian.

Block
27-08-2021, 10:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_M8m4Yr7vc

patch1875
28-08-2021, 10:13 AM
O Superman - Laurie Anderson

Peevemor
28-08-2021, 10:34 AM
O Superman - Laurie AndersonI still remember the first time I heard that and the slating that it got from some radio DJs etc. For something so different it's certainly stood the test of time.

patch1875
28-08-2021, 12:35 PM
I still remember the first time I heard that and the slating that it got from some radio DJs etc. For something so different it's certainly stood the test of time.

As a 10yo I’m sure I though it was awful but like you say it’s really stood the test of time and it’s a pretty spectacular song 40 years later.

Away ahead of its time.

Peevemor
28-08-2021, 12:40 PM
As a 10yo I’m sure I though it was awful but like you say it’s really stood the test of time and it’s a pretty spectacular song 40 years later.

Away ahead of its time.I definitely hated it and remember everyone imitating it at school.

Northernhibee
28-08-2021, 06:52 PM
The Turning Of Our Bones - Arab Strap

Block
28-08-2021, 10:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEPV4kolz0

Peevemor
28-08-2021, 11:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEPV4kolz0Billy Joel's a brilliant songwriter/composer.

Block
28-08-2021, 11:45 PM
Billy Joel's a brilliant songwriter/composer.

Some of his songs/songwriting are top drawer.

Block
29-08-2021, 10:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUSzL2leaFM

Block
30-08-2021, 10:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIuyDWzctgY

Block
31-08-2021, 10:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpDQJnI4OhU

Block
31-08-2021, 10:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYAc7gB-0A

Block
31-08-2021, 10:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4RjJKxsamQ

Block
02-09-2021, 10:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjEMHtSCU9M

Block
02-09-2021, 10:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5muBl3-Rh9Y

Hermit Crab
02-09-2021, 11:12 PM
Hurricane#1 - Step Into My World. The duelling guitars at the end make you stop what you're doing and listen.

https://youtu.be/hkuawS_TYWE

Block
03-09-2021, 05:17 PM
Hurricane#1 - Step Into My World. The duelling guitars at the end make you stop what you're doing and listen.

:agree:

Nice one.

Block
03-09-2021, 05:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLhpXUtxS1c

Block
03-09-2021, 05:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WGVgfjnLqc

patch1875
03-09-2021, 06:07 PM
Can we say what it is as well so I know if it’s crap in advance 😉😀

Hiber-nation
03-09-2021, 06:30 PM
Can we say what it is as well so I know if it’s crap in advance 😉😀

Aye that's one for the Pet Peeves thread! Let us know what the song is first please!

Peevemor
03-09-2021, 06:35 PM
If you use Tapatalk on your phone or tablette you get an embedded image thing.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210903/d74b5971165b3c731a9990aef1a3bdb1.jpg

Block
03-09-2021, 07:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT7Hj-ea0VE

Block
03-09-2021, 08:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXrb0DU4ko4

Geo_1875
04-09-2021, 08:41 AM
Nick Cave https://youtu.be/ACG9wv69bKU

Hibbyradge
04-09-2021, 10:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXrb0DU4ko4

People won't look at your video links unless you say what they are.

Block
04-09-2021, 10:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGykwC0fdJ4

Block
04-09-2021, 10:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QlsqyxUkro

Peevemor
04-09-2021, 10:58 PM
https://youtu.be/YtPgwAj2M9c

Keith_M
06-09-2021, 08:04 AM
https://youtu.be/YtPgwAj2M9c

Rat Trap

:top marks

Peevemor
06-09-2021, 08:09 AM
Rat Trap

:top marks

People can say what they like about Bob Geldof, but in his prime he was brilliant live (as was the whole group).

Hiber-nation
06-09-2021, 08:10 AM
People won't look at your video links unless you say what they are.

Hear hear!

I think this thread has gone a bit off course from the intention of "songs that blow your mind" to songs you just "like". I'm no musical snob but surely Look Wot U Dun by Slade can't have the effect of being mind-blowing can it? Unless you've had 10 pints maybe.....

CropleyWasGod
06-09-2021, 01:00 PM
Hear hear!

I think this thread has gone a bit off course from the intention of "songs that blow your mind" to songs you just "like". I'm no musical snob but surely Look Wot U Dun by Slade can't have the effect of being mind-blowing can it? Unless you've had 10 pints maybe.....

Or it was their first snog at a school disco?

Hiber-nation
06-09-2021, 01:03 PM
Or it was their first snog at a school disco?

Speaking from personal experience?? :greengrin

Northernhibee
06-09-2021, 01:49 PM
Cole’s Corner - Richard Hawley

Peevemor
06-09-2021, 06:15 PM
Paul Weller - Wings of Speed

https://youtu.be/hMoFzC6gEpQ

Inspired by the Lady of Shalott, a painting by John William Waterhouse, which in turn is inspired by a Tennyson poem. The song was written at the time he was splitting up with his wife. Dee C Lee, so there's some of that in there too.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210906/3a2e957b57f9affcef6ebda2de0b8fd2.jpg

Santa Cruz
06-09-2021, 06:33 PM
Hear hear!

In that case...for some reason Kim Wilde popped up on my side bar in youtube. I've been listening to her tunes which then led me to Debbie Harry and then Lisa Stansfield. Forgot how much I liked them.

degenerated
06-09-2021, 07:52 PM
If you use Tapatalk on your phone or tablette you get an embedded image thing.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210903/d74b5971165b3c731a9990aef1a3bdb1.jpgTablette, ooooh get you :greengrin

degenerated
06-09-2021, 07:53 PM
People won't look at your video links unless you say what they are.People won't look at mine if I do :greengrin

Peevemor
06-09-2021, 08:11 PM
Tablette, ooooh get you :greengrin

25051[emoji1787]

(French auto-complete).

Block
06-09-2021, 11:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ffIJ7ZO4U

Block
06-09-2021, 11:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-43lLKaqBQ

Peevemor
07-09-2021, 09:27 PM
Eric Bogle - And the band played Waltzing Matilda. If ever a song blew my mind...

https://youtu.be/g57gR3Ne4Qk

Hiber-nation
07-09-2021, 10:08 PM
Eric Bogle - And the band played Waltzing Matilda. If ever a song blew my mind...

https://youtu.be/g57gR3Ne4Qk

I'm welling up even thinking about it. The Pogues version is amazing.

Peevemor
07-09-2021, 10:21 PM
I'm welling up even thinking about it. The Pogues version is amazing.

Nobody's bettered the Pogues' version - I only posted Eric Bogle because it's his song. I'm not sure how many folk are aware that it was written by a guy from Peebles.

Block
07-09-2021, 11:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLTGs4fqxBk

Block
07-09-2021, 11:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxbIU0X-lCI

Hiber-nation
08-09-2021, 06:17 AM
Nobody's bettered the Pogues' version - I only posted Eric Bogle because it's his song. I'm not sure how many folk are aware that it was written by a guy from Peebles.

Agree. His other famous song The Green Fields of France is another fave of mine. I've never really bothered listening to any version other than that by The Men They Couldn't Hang as it's so good.

Peevemor
08-09-2021, 06:23 PM
State of Independence. Written by Jon & Vangelis, performed here by Donna Summer, produced by Quincy Jones & backing singers with hundreds of millions of record sales between them. Exquisite!

https://youtu.be/3XcKN0XbCbU

Quincy Jones reckons that Michael Jackson pinched the synth bass riff for Billie Jean (which Jones also produced) - it's basically the same thing slowed down.

Block
08-09-2021, 09:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axbtig7w7a8

Block
08-09-2021, 10:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N4jf6rtyuw

Block
09-09-2021, 09:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE1lzqJCeJ0

Block
09-09-2021, 09:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBcq5EzBcmQ

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-09-2021, 11:53 PM
Little Richard Send me some loving (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JpgPS1vMpd0)

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-09-2021, 12:04 AM
State of Independence. Written by Jon & Vangelis, performed here by Donna Summer, produced by Quincy Jones & backing singers with hundreds of millions of record sales between them. Exquisite!

https://youtu.be/3XcKN0XbCbU

Thing of beauty.

Block
10-09-2021, 12:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CICIOJqEb5c

Peevemor
10-09-2021, 12:37 AM
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band - You Never Can Tell. Most of you have probably seen this. I rate Springsteen but I've never really gone out my way to listen to him. The song itself is great but probably not mind blowing in itself. It's the impromptu performance, the trial & error to find the right key & the quality of the musicians who pull off something that only guys that have playing together for years can do. When the band arrives and the rhythm section join in here it's real double-take stuff.

https://youtu.be/L-Ds-FXGGQg

SteveHFC
10-09-2021, 12:40 AM
https://youtu.be/GzZWSrr5wFI

Block
10-09-2021, 12:44 AM
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band - You Never Can Tell. Most of you have probably seen this. I rate Springsteen but I've never really gone out my way to listen to him. The song itself is great but probably not mind blowing in itself. It's the impromptu performance, the trial & error to find the right key & the quality of the musicians who pull off something that only guys that have playing together for years can do. When the band arrives and the rhythm section join in here it's real double-take stuff.

Cut and paste into the video icon. Enjoyed that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Ds-FXGGQg

Block
10-09-2021, 12:45 AM
https://youtu.be/GzZWSrr5wFI

:aok::aok::aok:

Block
10-09-2021, 12:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIiUqfxFttM

SteveHFC
10-09-2021, 12:00 PM
:aok::aok::aok:

Intro gives me goosebumps everytime.

matty_f
10-09-2021, 12:20 PM

Great shout!

CropleyWasGod
10-09-2021, 01:25 PM

Van Zandt saying "You sure?" about the key.😂

We don't need no rehearsal...

Peevemor
10-09-2021, 01:30 PM
Van Zandt saying "You sure?" about the key.[emoji23]

We don't need no rehearsal...And the look on his face as he says it [emoji1787]

Block
10-09-2021, 09:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FrOQC-zEog

Block
10-09-2021, 09:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6T5C-jzSH0

Peevemor
14-09-2021, 06:18 PM
The Proclaimers' first TV appearance (the Tube). Throw the R Away. No further explication required.

https://youtu.be/xnnyDDldRn8

Hiber-nation
14-09-2021, 06:27 PM
Ah....I see Block has been blocked :greengrin

Peevemor
14-09-2021, 06:34 PM
Not the song (which I love but maybe not mind blowing), but 5 minutes on Fiction Factory speaking about Feels Like Heaven. I love stuff like this.

https://youtu.be/fZiCX43d6Mc

degenerated
14-09-2021, 07:23 PM
Not necessarily a mind blower, good song though and good James Bond audition from Stuart Pearce :greengrin

https://youtu.be/5fMiCcPO5tY

Peevemor
14-09-2021, 07:29 PM
Not necessarily a mind blower, good song though and good James Bond audition from Stuart Pearce :greengrin

https://youtu.be/5fMiCcPO5tYHe's brilliant there. Different line up but no mistaking that Stranglers' sound.

degenerated
14-09-2021, 07:32 PM
He's brilliant there. Different line up but no mistaking that Stranglers' sound.Definitely sounds more like an early Stranglers song. Wasn't sure what to expect but didn't disappoint. Need to listen to whole album now.

Hibbyradge
14-09-2021, 07:34 PM
Ah....I see Block has been blocked :greengrin

Tfft

Hiber-nation
14-09-2021, 07:39 PM
Tfft

Sorry, no idea what that means!

Peevemor
14-09-2021, 07:45 PM
Sorry, no idea what that means!I think it's "thank Fairnie for that" (maybe he's the admin that banned him?).

Hiber-nation
15-09-2021, 06:03 AM
I think it's "thank Fairnie for that" (maybe he's the admin that banned him?).

Ah right. Can't disagree.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-09-2021, 11:56 AM
Quite enjoyed his nocturnal posts, just not the ones on this thread.

grunt
15-09-2021, 12:45 PM
State of Independence. Written by Jon & Vangelis

Thing of beauty.
As a lifelong Yes & Jon fan I'm really pleased to see his music getting a little love on here. (PS the original is better!)

grunt
15-09-2021, 12:59 PM
Ok here's something different. Steven Wilson for you all

https://youtu.be/Dzkm2lvdup4

Peevemor
18-09-2021, 10:57 PM
OK, I'll bore you with some French stuff. Stromae, a Belgian singer/songwriter burst on to the scene here in 2013/14. He went from unknown to huge overnight, ended up doing something like 450 concerts in 18 months and suffered a breakdown/burnout. He's only now getting himself slowly back to work.

This song is meant to be a guy, blootered after splitting up with his woman and making a pest of himself in public. The main play on words is "formidable" and "fort minable" (really pathetic).

I think it's exceptional.

The song starts at about 3:40 but the rest's a good enough watch.

https://youtu.be/oSFodgivgek

Peevemor
09-10-2021, 10:21 PM
OK I'll do a triple-whammy then I'll stop boring you with the French stuff.

Louise Attaque are a group that have been going for almost 30 years, taking breaks to let front man Gaetan Roussel do solo stuff. He's one of my favourite French artistes and I could listen to him being interviewed all day. Anyway, this song is typical of them. Clever text and simple music. This live version is exceptional IMO.

https://youtu.be/EvM3xTorT20

This is a song by a guy called Tété. I wouldn't call him a one hit wonder but not far off it. Not understanding French shouldn't matter because I struggle to make out what he's saying too, but the melody and his voice are superb IMO.

https://youtu.be/1mvz7I7Dp5c

To finish Jean-Louis Aubert. Not the best singer in the world but a great songwriter & performer. The video's worth watching for the cheesetastic drumming by Richard Kolinka (a major force in French rock).

https://youtu.be/RROfN120PF8