PDA

View Full Version : EFL salary cap withdrawn

jonny
10-02-2021, 10:27 AM
https://www.thepfa.com/news/2021/2/9/pfa-welcomes-withdrawal-of-salary-cap-rules

As it says.
English league 1 & 2 teams will once again be in a position to offer better wages than the likes of Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts.
Hopefully it won't make a great deal of difference to us but if say Hibs and Sunderland were both looking at the same player they'd be able to blow us out the water with the wages on offer.

jonny
10-02-2021, 10:28 AM
Here's the article if the link doesn't work

On Monday, an independent arbitration panel ruled that the English Football League (EFL) was in breach of the Professional Football Negotiating and Consultative Committee's (PFNCC) constitution by introducing salary caps.

The PFA welcomes the fact that the salary cap rules are automatically withdrawn and hopes to open constructive dialogue to agree reasonable and proportionate cost control measures for the future.

PFA Chief Executive, Gordon Taylor OBE said: “We were disappointed that the EFL decided to introduce salary cap proposals, which were voted through without the proper consideration or consultation with the PFNCC.

“As a result, in August 2020, the PFA served a Notice of Arbitration on the EFL stating the introduction of the new rules were in breach of obligations under the constitution of the PFNCC. We are pleased the panel upheld the PFA's claim.”

Like everyone involved in football, the PFA wants to see sustainable clubs at all levels. We also recognise the huge economic pressure that clubs have come under due to the COVID-19 crisis.

The PFA believes it is now in the best interest of the leagues, the clubs, and the players to work together and agree on rules that promote financial stability.

EI255
10-02-2021, 10:32 AM
I wonder how many players ended up signing for a Scottish club after bettering an English club's offer?

Bet they wish they'd held out until this news.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Jim44
10-02-2021, 10:58 AM
How much was the actual cap on salaries?

CropleyWasGod
10-02-2021, 11:04 AM
How much was the actual cap on salaries?

£2.5m for L1, and £1.5m for L2.

That's per squad.

calumhibee1
10-02-2021, 11:22 AM
£2.5m for L1, and £1.5m for L2.

That's per squad.

£2.5m per squad per season?

That would put them significantly below our wage structure i’d presume?

jonny
10-02-2021, 11:56 AM
£2.5m per squad per season?

That would put them significantly below our wage structure i’d presume?

Without knowing the terms of anyone's contract at the club I'd imagine that you're absolutely right. Possibly close to double - especially for Aberdeen.

calumhibee1
10-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Without knowing the terms of anyone's contract at the club I'd imagine that you're absolutely right. Possibly close to double - especially for Aberdeen.

Seems crazy that a club like Sunderland could have such a small wage bill.

Oscar T Grouch
10-02-2021, 12:47 PM
Wonder if this reduces our chances of signing Irvine on a longer deal? Good money down south but Euro football and fighting at the right end of the league with Hibs.

Sean1875
10-02-2021, 01:16 PM
Wonder if this reduces our chances of signing Irvine on a longer deal? Good money down south but Euro football and fighting at the right end of the league with Hibs.

I wouldnt think so, cant see him going to a League One team - hes too good for that league anyways. Gut tells me he'll get a decent level Championship team.

Stanton Spence
10-02-2021, 01:30 PM
I wouldnt think so, cant see him going to a League One team - hes too good for that league anyways. Gut tells me he'll get a decent level Championship team.No chance of him going to hertz [emoji23]

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk