PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to peter marinello?

BILLYHIBS
08-02-2021, 09:45 AM
An oldie but goodie and also features a thing of great beauty

https://www.facebook.com/100865096953196/posts/695616887478011/?sfnsn=scwspwa

at last 61
08-02-2021, 10:17 AM
I'm sure he moved down south as in South Coast of England

BILLYHIBS
08-02-2021, 10:20 AM
I'm sure he moved down south as in South Coast of England
His book Fallen Idle is a good read highly recommended

greenginger
08-02-2021, 10:33 AM
I saw Peter a couple of times about 7 years ago. His mum and dad were in the same Edinburgh nursing home as a relative of mine and he came up from down south to visit.

I’m sure he said he was staying in Portsmouth. He was still looking pretty fit .

brog
08-02-2021, 11:08 AM

The 2 Peters, Cormack & Marinello, were guests of London Hibs at our Burns do about 20 years ago. Peter has been in Bournemouth, IIRC, for many years. His cousin Ian posts on one of the Hibs FB sites.

Roxyhibee
08-02-2021, 12:20 PM

What was the story behind this bizarre footage again..?

BILLYHIBS
08-02-2021, 12:24 PM
What was the story behind this bizarre footage again..?
Blue Peter

Cracking strip though eh?

Still goat mine

That was entertainment back in 1972 :greengrin

gbhibby
08-02-2021, 12:34 PM
Remember Peter being a guest presenter on Top of the Pops.I think there is a clip on YouTube. Hope it wasn't with JS

Berwickhibby
08-02-2021, 12:45 PM
The 2 Peters, Cormack & Marinello, were guests of London Hibs at our Burns do about 20 years ago. Peter has been in Bournemouth, IIRC, for many years. His cousin Ian posts on one of the Hibs FB sites.

I remember that night... it was brilliant

Oscar T Grouch
08-02-2021, 12:46 PM
Remember Peter being a guest presenter on Top of the Pops.I think there is a clip on YouTube. Hope it wasn't with JS

Nah it was Tony Blackburn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQk_X73Ywvo

Scorrie
08-02-2021, 01:54 PM
Did he not used to have a pub on Lady Lawson Street / West Port or am I imagining that?

WoreTheGreen
08-02-2021, 02:02 PM
Did he not used to have a pub on Lady Lawson Street / West Port or am I imagining that?

You’re correct

son of haggart
08-02-2021, 02:07 PM
His book Fallen Idle is a good read highly recommended

I agree (even as a Hearts fan) - an enjoyable read and very thought provoking about fame and what it does to you (not that I've ever had that problem!)

BILLYHIBS
08-02-2021, 02:23 PM
Started off with a pub down Leith ( Copperfields ) that he called Marinello’s then a boozer in the toon He also had a Nightclub for a couple of weeks opened by George Best and Mandy Smith

Source : Fallen Idle

BILLYHIBS
08-02-2021, 02:25 PM
I agree (even as a Hearts fan) - an enjoyable read and very thought provoking about fame and what it does to you (not that I've ever had that problem!)
Apparently Alex Ferguson gave a copy to a young Wayne Rooney and said “read that that is not how to run your career”

An excellent read nonetheless

gbhibby
08-02-2021, 03:23 PM
Got caught up in the Arsenal drinking culture. Was some player in full flow. Media were looking at him as the next George Best.

Lancs Harp
08-02-2021, 03:27 PM
Did he ever get capped by Scotland?

BILLYHIBS
08-02-2021, 03:28 PM

Sorry no

confused
08-02-2021, 05:33 PM
I think he got a couple of under 23 caps and maybe a league cap. , made a crazy move to the other side of the town to play for “them” at the tail end of his days

gbhibby
08-02-2021, 05:44 PM
They call him Marinello to the tune of Mellow Yellow used to be sung.

superfurryhibby
08-02-2021, 05:47 PM
They call him Marinello to the tune of Mellow Yellow used to be sung.

That’s right:greengrin

expresso
08-02-2021, 06:12 PM
Blue Peter

Cracking strip though eh?

Still goat mine

That was entertainment back in 1972 :greengrin

Was that a Plymouth top as well?

gbhibby
08-02-2021, 06:21 PM
I think the lady in the clip played football and that was her teams kit. Good Taste

BILLYHIBS
08-02-2021, 06:23 PM
Rings a bell from the first time I watched the clip

gbhibby
08-02-2021, 06:27 PM
Notice the archive below the link posted Billy was Helen Mirren on Parkinson. She ripped him apart when he asked her a sexist question.

Roxyhibee
08-02-2021, 06:33 PM
I think the lady in the clip played football and that was her teams kit. Good Taste

Ahh right. Incredible a ladies team down south were wearing this same icon kit same time as our Tornadoes.

Was gutted when Marinello was transferred - I was young and he was the coolest looking player in Scotland by a mile.

Jim44
08-02-2021, 06:36 PM
https://www.justarsenal.com/where-are-they-now-arsenals-wasted-talent-peter-marinello/243758/amp

SiinDubai
08-02-2021, 07:13 PM
I think His nephew works in the whisky vaults on Henderson street, spoke with him a couple of time’s, nice guy & a hibby as well.

gbhibby
08-02-2021, 09:08 PM
Ahh right. Incredible a ladies team down south were wearing this same icon kit same time as our Tornadoes.

Was gutted when Marinello was transferred - I was young and he was the coolest looking player in Scotland by a mile.
It might be a team called Wantage FC that she played for.

G B Young
08-02-2021, 10:53 PM

And I thought John Leslie was the only person to have worn a Hibs kit on Blue Peter!

Bangkok Hibby
09-02-2021, 01:39 AM
Got caught up in the Arsenal drinking culture. Was some player in full flow. Media were looking at him as the next George Best.

According to a friend of a friend who knows him, it was that very drinking which caused him to miss out on "fun" with Olivia Newton John.

JimBHibees
09-02-2021, 07:51 AM
https://www.justarsenal.com/where-are-they-now-arsenals-wasted-talent-peter-marinello/243758/amp

Did that really happen Hibs players paid for a prostitute on his 18th birthday? :faf:

BILLYHIBS
09-02-2021, 11:08 AM
I liked the story that he was standing at a Bus Stop in Powderhall and a car pulls up

“ Hi Arthur what are you doing through here?”

That was the first he knew he was on the way out

He didnae want to leave HIBS

He reckoned we were a better club with a better team and better players

greenginger
09-02-2021, 11:25 AM

Young Nello was one of Edinburgh’s mod crew , Lambrettas and hung out in Mr Smiths on Lothian Road.

I remember watching him glide past opposition players knocking the ball from left foot to right foot or vice versa without breaking stride.

I used to practice same move out the backgreen against the clothes poles.

The clothes poles usually won. :greengrin

heretoday
09-02-2021, 12:22 PM
I loved watching Hibs in the late sixties. We had some great players. Marinello was very fast. We encountered him in Inverleith Park once playing football with his mates.

Pagan Hibernia
09-02-2021, 12:46 PM
I liked the story that he was standing at a Bus Stop in Powderhall and a car pulls up

he was correct.

was a shame that we lost him, good player and a good looking lad. Cool as f***.

BILLYHIBS
09-02-2021, 01:06 PM
he was correct.

was a shame that we lost him, good player and a good looking lad. Cool as f***.
:agree:

Remember we beat the Hun 3-1 at Ibrox Marinello scored twice playing through the middle and Joe McBride got the other

I ran down to the local newsagents to buy a Sports Pink and there it was for all the world to see:

’ Punchinello Rocks The ‘Gers!’

Pretty sure that HIBS team beat Hearts Celtic and Rangers all away from home and we were top of the League at Christmas

ancient hibee
09-02-2021, 05:42 PM
I spoke to Willie McFarlane the day he was sold. He told me that he'd just picked Arsenal's pocket for a hundred grand for Marinello. I said it was disappointing and he then said that he'd signed a replacement who would still be playing long after Peter's career would be over.

brog
09-02-2021, 05:52 PM
I remember his debut on a frozen pitch at Starks Park on Jan 2. The game finished 2 2 & Nello was one of 6 local Hibs supporting players in the team. The others were Willie Wilson, King Pat, Peter Cormack, Eric the rebel & Jim O was a sub. I used to love the games on Jan 2, another great tradition gone.

Lancs Harp
09-02-2021, 05:58 PM
Found the following article from four four two magazine from 2007, which pieces a bit more of the jigsaw together.

www.fourfourtwo.com/features/peter-marinello-what-happened-next

BILLYHIBS
09-02-2021, 05:59 PM
I remember his debut on a frozen pitch at Starks Park on Jan 2. The game finished 2 2 & Nello was one of 6 local Hibs supporting players in the team. The others were Willie Wilson, King Pat, Peter Cormack, Eric the rebel & Jim O was a sub. I used to love the games on Jan 2, another great tradition gone.

Willie Wilson was a Jambo

I worked beside him for 20 years

A nicer guy you could not hope to meet

RIP

Ray_
09-02-2021, 06:48 PM

They won the double the following season 😂

Alex Cropley got it right when he said the same thing almost five years later.

superfurryhibby
09-02-2021, 06:51 PM
I spoke to Willie McFarlane the day he was sold. He told me that he'd just picked Arsenal's pocket for a hundred grand for Marinello. I said it was disappointing and he then said that he'd signed a replacement who would still be playing long after Peter's career would be over.

Arthur Duncan was a magnificent signing by Willie McFarlane, as was his full back, Erich Schaedler.

Pagan Hibernia
09-02-2021, 07:08 PM
Willie Wilson was a Jambo

I worked beside him for 20 years

A nicer guy you could not hope to meet

RIP

i think I remember hearing that marinello was a jambo?

find it hard to believe, myself. No hearts fan I’ve ever known has been as cool or stylish as that.

BILLYHIBS
09-02-2021, 07:23 PM

find it hard to believe, myself. No hearts fan I’ve ever known has been as cool or stylish as that.

Was brought up in Broomhouse and supported Hearts up to age 10

Changed allegiance when the family moved to Cannon Mills and he went to ‘Tony’s

BILLYHIBS
09-02-2021, 07:35 PM
They won the double the following season 😂

Alex Cropley got it right when he said the same thing almost five years later.
Ha Ha!

Yeah he said that Bertie Mee told him that George Armstrong likes to backtrack to help out the defence not just stand on the wing waiting on the ball

Mick O'Rourke
09-02-2021, 07:35 PM

Peter was back up the road in 2016 and was at the LC semi against St Johnstone
He was asked about his "team" in an interview that week and said Hearts when the family lived in Saughton.
Changed to Hibs when they flitted to Powderhall.
Peer pressure ,maybe!!

I got to know Peter in the 1980s
Our sons played for the same youth team.
Peter is a Hibby !!
I was at Ibrox that day Peter tore them apart
On that performance alone it was a nap clubs would come calling,and we would sell.

A bookie owned us and a bookie managed us then
No ambition

ancient hibee
09-02-2021, 07:46 PM
He was asked about his "team" in an interview that week and said Hearts when the family lived in Saughton.
Peer pressure ,maybe!!

Peter is a Hibby !!
On that performance alone it was a nap clubs would come calling,and we would sell.

No ambition

Willie wasn’t a bookie then. He ran a very successful plant hire company.His income dropped when he came to Hibs. He had plenty ambition for success at the club and was prepared to fight his corner when Tom Hart took over.Arthur Duncan was always going to have a better career than Peter Marinello So it was a good move all round.

inglisavhibs
09-02-2021, 08:03 PM
My brother and I were at that game. We had no idea who he was as in these days the team didn’t change much.

Ray_
10-02-2021, 07:37 AM
As a nipper, I lived just off the Prom at Porty and I'd regularly run in to the two Peter's [Cormack & marinello] walking along the Prom and as I'd invariably be in my Hibs strip they never failed to have a chat. I remember their last season, the early season wins at Tynie & Parkhead and being at Ibrox with a Rangers supporting school mate that October [69], watching Marinello 2 and the goal machine, Joe McBride putting us top of the league with a 3-1 win. I also remember the lead up to the NY derby, being distraught with the news that Peter Marinello had gone to Arsenal and his big mate, was sent off that day for retaliation after again being chopped down by Peter Oliver in what had become a traditional 0-0 derby NY draw. Less than four months later playing football on the Prom, just four days after Peter Cormack got a brace in a 4-1 win against St Johnstone my pal showed me the back page of the Evening News which was about Matt Gillies [stealing] Peter Cormack for Forest for 80k. I wanted Harrower to go there and then as a few days earlier, after the game, I was heading for my regular post match home game visit to my grans, mimicking PC's high kicking style as I ran along the road.

Less than 18 month later, Harrower was long gone, we dominated the derby & the two Peter's had effectively been replaced by the two Alex's, Edwards and Cropley and we had the added bonuses of Arthur Duncan and Alan Gordon.

DanishJohn
10-02-2021, 09:31 AM
Peer pressure ,maybe!!

Peter is a Hibby !!

No ambition

After the semi final win against St Johnstone, my brother and I and a few mates bumped into Peter and John Murphy in Mathers in the West End. We were with them a good hour and what great company they were! Kept us fed on Hibs stories and their love for the Hibs shone through.
Must confess I always thought John Murphy was an ex HC boy but he actually went to Carrickvale (Forresters for younger readers). John played in a memorable game as well (4-1 when we gubbed them at Tynecastle.

On a footnote, the 3-1 game against the Rangers at Ibrox, I'm sure that day Rangers brought in a young guy who was going to be their next great star of the future. Brian Heron was his name I think and he was considered to be very pacey Peter actually destroyed him that day and the poor guy was punted to Motherwell where I think he faded.

Ray_
10-02-2021, 10:22 AM
After the semi final win against St Johnstone, my brother and I and a few mates bumped into Peter and John Murphy in Mathers in the West End. We were with them a good hour and what great company they were! Kept us fed on Hibs stories and their love for the Hibs shone through.
Must confess I always thought John Murphy was an ex HC boy but he actually went to Carrickvale (Forresters for younger readers). John played in a memorable game as well (4-1 when we gubbed them at Tynecastle.

On a footnote, the 3-1 game against the Rangers at Ibrox, I'm sure that day Rangers brought in a young guy who was going to be their next great star of the future. Brian Heron was his name I think and he was considered to be very pacey Peter actually destroyed him that day and the poor guy was punted to Motherwell where I think he faded. I'm sure Brian Heron & Bobby Watson went to Motherwell in the deal that saw Peter McCloy join Rangers. From what I remember of Brian Heron he was a very good winger for Motherwell and he played very few games for Rangers [under 10]. Bobby Watson also done well for the Fir Park club and McCloy became a Rangers legend.

BILLYHIBS
10-02-2021, 11:14 AM
Auld fitba

Motherwell 2 v 3 Hibernian

Peter Marinello playing against the Hibees

https://youtu.be/CnFn0DB1Zmk

Roxyhibee
10-02-2021, 12:01 PM

That’s the thing I was very aware of as I was just starting secondary school and going to every home game late 60’s/early 70’s - our players seemed so different from Hearts. We had Marinello, Cormack, Stanton, ORourke, Schaedler, Blackley, Cropley coming through.. They seemed younger looking, lighter, bright, cooler - they moved with the ball completely differently. Hearts seemed to have old looking sensible bores like Anderson, Busby, Wilson, Ford, Brown, then the likes of Jeffries (glaikit). I imagined they dressed like my dad. Obviously I was being a bit biased but I think the clubs were culturally miles apart even then.

Pagan Hibernia
10-02-2021, 01:17 PM
That’s the thing I was very aware of as I was just starting secondary school and going to every home game late 60’s/early 70’s - our players seemed so different from Hearts. We had Marinello, Cormack, Stanton, ORourke, Schaedler, Blackley, Cropley coming through.. They seemed younger looking, lighter, bright, cooler - they moved with the ball completely differently. Hearts seemed to have old looking sensible bores like Anderson, Busby, Wilson, Ford, Brown, then the likes of Jeffries (glaikit). I imagined they dressed like my dad. Obviously I was being a bit biased but I think the clubs were culturally miles apart even then.

yep. My views exactly. And I guess I consider hearts fans to be like that too. Of course it’s a complete stereotype with probably not an ounce of truth to it, but it’s funny how stereotypes stick.

they see us as dirty peg-selling gypsies and hobos, “vermin” is a word they’re very fond of over on the oneleagueback forum.

we see them as dour, cardigan wearing, rover driving tories, partial to lunch at the golf club and dull missionary sex.

ah well.

G B Young
10-02-2021, 03:57 PM
Auld fitba

Cracking game!

Bobby Hutchinson...that's a name I'd forgotten. I was a big Starsky and Hutch fan in those childhood days and used to think his surname was quite glamorous :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
10-02-2021, 04:01 PM
Cracking game!

Bobby Hutchinson...that's a name I'd forgotten. I was a big Starsky and Hutch fan in those childhood days and used to think his surname was quite glamorous :greengrin

Went on to Captain Bristol City in a cup winning team at Wembley IIRC

weecounty hibby
10-02-2021, 05:24 PM
Auld fitba

Ally McLeod, what a player

BILLYHIBS
10-02-2021, 05:29 PM
Ally McLeod, what a player
Quality

WoreTheGreen
10-02-2021, 05:41 PM
Quality

I played a couple of games in the junior ranks with Peter (his mate was the manager) he was done and didn’t fancy some bam looking for a trophy tackle and who would blame him. I gave him and the manager a lift to the west port to his pub after the game. Really nice guy

Hiber-nation
10-02-2021, 05:47 PM

Forgot all about that. It was the 1986 Associate Members Cup! I was surprised as Hutch never seemed captain material, used to see him in Leeries Bar with the players after training and he was always the quietest one.

Peevemor
10-02-2021, 05:50 PM
Auld fitba

https://youtu.be/CnFn0DB1ZmkThat's brilliant. That Motherwell free kick was a cracker (defence caught napping though).

BILLYHIBS
10-02-2021, 05:54 PM
That's brilliant. That Motherwell free kick was a cracker (defence caught napping though).

Cracking game brought back fond memories of away days

Seems like a lifetime ago

BILLYHIBS
10-02-2021, 05:57 PM
I played a couple of games in the junior ranks with Peter (his mate was the manager) he was done and didn’t fancy some bam looking for a trophy tackle and who would blame him. I gave him and the manager a lift to the west port to his pub after the game. Really nice guy

Remember Sodje playing for Liberton Cropley but he always saw them coming last week and they would end up worse off but I get what you mean a bit like the old Wild West :greengrin

worcesterhibby
10-02-2021, 07:20 PM
Auld fitba

Ally Mcloed was class..if he’d had any sort of pace at all he would have been a superstar playing for Liverpool or Man Utd....my favourite player bsck then. Great footage thanks for posting

BILLYHIBS
10-02-2021, 07:22 PM
Ally Mcloed was class..if he’d had any sort of pace at all he would have been a superstar playing for Liverpool or Man Utd....my favourite player bsck then. Great footage thanks for posting
:thumbsup:

weecounty hibby
10-02-2021, 07:51 PM
I've said it loads of times but I'm going to say it again. He was my hero when I was really getting into Hibs as an 8/9 year old right up until he left. Still not seen too many who were better

worcesterhibby
10-02-2021, 09:48 PM
I've said it loads of times but I'm going to say it again. He was my hero when I was really getting into Hibs as an 8/9 year old right up until he left. Still not seen too many who were better

if you watch the way he crosses the ball for the first goal in the Motherwell video posted above, it’s just mercurial...no backlift, no follow through, just an effortless clip. I’m not the sort of poster who slags our current players, but Ally certainly makes crossing look a far simpler skill than some in the team today. The first time I ever actually attended a match at ER was in 1979 and Ally scored Hibs only goal that day....a cracker of a volley from the edge of the box to equalise against Kilmarnock. Fabulous player.

stu in nottingham
10-02-2021, 11:50 PM
Brilliant and exciting player to watch. Cool looking lad but with the ability to back it up. Always felt he went to the wrong club in Arsenal at that time. They were pretty stodgy and not very expansive in the way they played and it didn't suit him. Devastating when both him and Peter Cormack left Hibs in that era.

Here's Nello on his Top of the Pops stint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQk_X73Ywvo

Pagan Hibernia
11-02-2021, 06:41 AM
https://youtu.be/0EkiKgsT3rc

scoring on his arsenal debut at old trafford

One Day
11-02-2021, 06:54 AM

24 May 1986, when he lifted the Associate Members' Cup at Wembley

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2021, 06:57 AM
24 May 1986, when he lifted the Associate Members' Cup at Wembley

Never thought he was Captain material during his time with HIBS but Fair Play to the guy he obviously kept improving and lead by example

FilipinoHibs
11-02-2021, 07:07 AM
Remember as a 13 year old watching the 3-1 game at Ibrox on Sportsmen at night and thinking we would win the league. Knew his sister who was married to a gangster builder but separated.

greenginger
11-02-2021, 08:13 AM
Remember as a 13 year old watching the 3-1 game at Ibrox on Sportsmen at night and thinking we would win the league. Knew his sister who was married to a gangster builder but separated.

I posted earlier in the thread that I had seen Peter a couple of times at an Edinburgh nursing home visiting his folks. His two sisters were regular visitors and seemed very nice people . No sign of any gangsters .

FilipinoHibs
11-02-2021, 09:48 AM
I posted earlier in the thread that I had seen Peter a couple of times at an Edinburgh nursing home visiting his folks. His two sisters were regular visitors and seemed very nice people . No sign of any gangsters .

She left the gangster. Was a really nice lady. Anybody know the name of Peter's pub in West Port?

scoopyboy
11-02-2021, 10:09 AM
She left the gangster. Was a really nice lady. Anybody know the name of Peter's pub in West Port?

Marinello's? It was the Lord Darnley previously.

Jones28
11-02-2021, 10:22 AM
I think His nephew works in the whisky vaults on Henderson street, spoke with him a couple of time’s, nice guy & a hibby as well.

I was in there for a tasting function a few years ago and he MC’d the whole thing, he was very good. I saw Marinello on the programme and though they must be related somehow.

greenginger
11-02-2021, 10:25 AM
Marinello's? It was the Lord Darnley previously.

I thought Marinellos was his pub on Leith Walk, what ever it was called there’s a Sainsbury on the site now.

scoopyboy
11-02-2021, 10:40 AM
I thought Marinellos was his pub on Leith Walk, what ever it was called there’s a Sainsbury on the site now.

Marinello's was on Leith Walk without doubt but I think he called the West port pub the same.

That and the Lord Darnley were heavily frequented by Post Office workers who had offices nearby.

FilipinoHibs
11-02-2021, 12:09 PM

Remember it now. A place to take refuge from the gogo dancers.

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2021, 12:14 PM
Remember it now. A place to take refuge from the gogo dancers.

.....until the third record anyway! :rolleyes:

FilipinoHibs
11-02-2021, 01:01 PM
.....until the third record anyway! :rolleyes:

Timing was so important!

Kato
11-02-2021, 02:31 PM
The first football match I ever attended was at Tynie, Edinburgh Scoolboys v Glasgow Schoolboys, we were all bussed there by the school. Peter's little brother was playing for Edinburgh. Dont know what happened to his career, if he had one.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2021, 02:36 PM
The first football match I ever attended was at Tynie, Edinburgh Scoolboys v Glasgow Schoolboys, we were all bussed there by the school. Peter's little brother was playing for Edinburgh. Dont know what happened to his career, if he had one.

Might have been his cousin Tony who was also a right winger ?

Kato
11-02-2021, 02:38 PM
Might have been his cousin Tony who was also a right winger ?Maybe. It was the talk of the class and "brother" was what we were told. Weird if I've been misinformed and only finding out about it 50 years on.

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2021, 02:55 PM
Maybe. It was the talk of the class and "brother" was what we were told. Weird if I've been misinformed and only finding out about it 50 years on.

Must have been his cousin Tony as Peter had two sisters

Kato
11-02-2021, 03:03 PM
Must have been his cousin Tony as Peter had two sistersWow, thanks Billy.

Keith_M
11-02-2021, 04:18 PM
Not sure if anybody's posted this yet, but here's a slightly more cringe worthy video of Marinello

https://youtu.be/MQk_X73Ywvo

Oops, already been posted :-)

telford hibbee
11-02-2021, 05:06 PM
He was the original slower than he looked player, but his ball control was at another level.

ancient hibee
11-02-2021, 05:36 PM
He was the original slower than he looked player, but his ball control was at another level.

Ally had plenty speed between the ears. Where it's most needed.

WoreTheGreen
11-02-2021, 05:53 PM
Ally had plenty speed between the ears. Where it's most needed.

Also a very clever man I think he was a financial advisor or something along these lines. One of the few players who smoked at the time

ancient hibee
11-02-2021, 06:00 PM
Also a very clever man I think he was a financial advisor or something along these lines. One of the few players who smoked at the time

He used to work for Bank of Scotland until he signed for Southampton.

WoreTheGreen
11-02-2021, 06:06 PM
He used to work for Bank of Scotland until he signed for Southampton.

Not the quickest player but the quickest wit I’ve ever heard

inglisavhibs
11-02-2021, 06:31 PM
Might have been his cousin Tony who was also a right winger ?
Tony played at Salvesen in the year below me, not aware of him playing after that.

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2021, 06:36 PM
Tony played at Salvesen in the year below me, not aware of him playing after that.

Disappeared off the planet

One of many

at last 61
12-02-2021, 10:12 AM
Marinello's was on Leith Walk without doubt but I think he called the West port pub the same.

That and the Lord Darnley were heavily frequented by Post Office workers who had offices nearby.

Marinellos was on Leith walkand it wasn't the Lord darnley that he had it was at the bottom of Laurieston Road not far from lord darnleys

A Hi-Bee
12-02-2021, 01:29 PM
Marinello's in Leith Walk was down near the bottom, left hand side going down the Walk it used to be called Copperfields and it would stay open at the time to 4 in the morning, so I was told Hic.
Peter was a really nice guy sometimes he was taken a loan of by some real nasty ones.
Great player in his day and well remember the newspaper headlines when Him and Joe McBride senior destroyed the hun at Ipox when the swapped numbers and places on the park.

BILLYHIBS
12-02-2021, 01:39 PM
My hero

https://images.app.goo.gl/6UYNSh9rCv3XUoEA8

gbhibby
12-02-2021, 04:20 PM
My hero

Had that top. My mate who was a jambo was the spitting image of Peter and would sometimes wear my Hibs top as he thought he was Marinello mk2. I had to wear his Hearts top so it's a time of my life I want to forget.

Ray_
12-02-2021, 04:25 PM
My hero

My fav ever Hibs strip, prior to the 1-1 draw with Motherwell, a disappointing result dropping a point.

Silversand
12-02-2021, 04:33 PM
My hero

https://images.app.goo.gl/6UYNSh9rCv3XUoEA8Boots in the 60s looked like a pair of work shoes [emoji848][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
12-02-2021, 04:43 PM
My fav ever Hibs strip, prior to the 1-1 draw with Motherwell, a disappointing result dropping a point.
I was on a cruise a few years ago and I met a Barrow fan and when I told him I supported Hibernian he informed me that his all time favourite player is Peter Marinello

I just happened to have that image as wallpaper on my iPhone

He was made up :greengrin

Kato
12-02-2021, 04:44 PM
Had that top. My mate who was a jambo was the spitting image of Peter and would sometimes wear my Hibs top as he thought he was Marinello mk2. I had to wear his Hearts top so it's a time of my life I want to forget.

There's a cream for that.

judas
13-02-2021, 07:53 AM
Great thread. Reading through it, I was struck by the subjects raised, that would merit a thread of their own:

1. The cultural differences between Hibs and Hearts.
2. Why modern players can’t cross a ball.
3. Missionary sex (is it dull?)

Hibs1969
13-02-2021, 08:41 AM
One of my earliest games there. IIRC Peter McCloy was the Motherwell goalie that day and despite the snow on the pitch he somehow let the ball slip through his hands for the Hibs goal. To top it all off, it was my birthday 😀

FilipinoHibs
13-02-2021, 09:37 AM
Great thread. Reading through it, I was struck by the subjects raised, that would merit a thread of their own:

1. The cultural differences between Hibs and Hearts.
2. Why modern players can’t cross a ball.
3. Missionary sex (is it dull?)

3. Not with a beautiful woman.

2. Ball is too light now and needs too much precision.

1. Tynecastle is where the golf club meets neo fascism. Hearts pompous, arrogant and judgemental. Maroon is a horrible color for a strip. Gorgie depressing and dark and smells. Their owners sum them up Mercer, Robinson, Romanov and Budge.

brog
13-02-2021, 10:07 AM

1. Tynecastle is where the golf club meets neo fascism. Hearts pompous, arrogant and judgemental. Maroon is a horrible color for a strip. Gorgie depressing and dark and smells. Their owners sum them up Mercer, Robinson, Romanov and Budge.

Your comment on the colour maroon reminded me of a piece of writing by the Scottish poet, Alan Bold. Alan was a great Hibs man & IIRC his piece eulogised the colour green. He talked about freshness, the colour of the grass and spring etc. He then described maroon as (i paraphrase)"last night's cheap red wine spilled in an overflowing ashtray".
Perfect really!!

FilipinoHibs
13-02-2021, 11:06 AM
Your comment on the colour maroon reminded me of a piece of writing by the Scottish poet, Alan Bold. Alan was a great Hibs man & IIRC his piece eulogised the colour green. He talked about freshness, the colour of the grass and spring etc. He then described maroon as (i paraphrase)"last night's cheap red wine spilled in an
overflowing ashtray".
Perfect really!!

Sums it up perfectly. Or when you have drunk that cheap bottle of wine. Get up in the middle of the night feeling sick. Don't make it to the bathroom and spew over your fawn bedroom carpet. So unwell you just go back to bed. Wake up in the morning feeling awful and you see the maroon stain on the carpet and feel sick again.

Mick O'Rourke
13-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Marinellos was on Leith walkand it wasn't the Lord darnley that he had it was at the bottom of Laurieston Road not far from lord darnleys

The pub you refer to was for years known as The Kenmore
It is/was on the corner of Lauriston Street (down from the Sacred Heart) and (east) Fountainbridge.
A good pub before the go go days !!

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2021, 11:28 AM
Pretty sure I read that ‘Nello was first introduced to the ‘big team’ on the tour of Ghana and Nigeria where the locals although obviously biased were applauding and oohing and aahing at Marinello’s speed, ball control, trickery, dribbling skills and all round wing wizardry

They just could not get enough

Mick O'Rourke
13-02-2021, 11:57 AM
Pretty sure I read that ‘Nello was first introduced to the ‘big team’ on the tour of Ghana and Nigeria where the locals although obviously biased were applauding and oohing and aahing at Marinello’s speed, ball control, trickery, dribbling skills and all round wing wizardry

They just could not get enough
I think John "spud" Murphy, like Peter was new to the squad ]

Some trivia
Efe Ambrose played for a club in Nigeria Hibs met on that tour.
Hibernian.... first British club to tour Africa
One of the teams we played on the tour did not have boots for all their players.
Hibs gave them boots.
Or it was going to be barefoot !!
True story !

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2021, 01:25 PM

Some trivia
One of the teams we played on the tour did not have boots for all their players.
Hibs gave them boots.
True story !
Eric Stevenson in his book said John Murphy and Peter Marinello wanted to go out drinking with the ‘ boys ‘ Willie Wilson advised against it

Stevie says he has never seen a person so ill the following day as ‘Nello, :greengrin

Ray_
13-02-2021, 06:55 PM
I was on a cruise a few years ago and I met a Barrow fan and when I told him I supported Hibernian he informed me that his all time favourite player is Peter Marinello

I just happened to have that image as wallpaper on my iPhone

He was made up :greengrin

Lancs Harp
13-02-2021, 09:00 PM

Some trivia
Hibs gave them boots.
True story !

Mick do you have any details of that tour? What year was it?

Pagan Hibernia
13-02-2021, 09:29 PM

and soon to be 8000 roasters from FOH and kickback

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2021, 09:32 PM
Mick do you have any details of that tour? What year was it?
22/51968 - 5/6/1968

Lancs Harp
13-02-2021, 09:41 PM
22/51968 - 5/6/1968

Thanks Billy, pretty sure thats not the first British Club to tour Africa though.

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2021, 10:00 PM
Thanks Billy, pretty sure thats not the first British Club to tour Africa though.
Dunno about that the club seem to think so Africa ( Nigeria and Ghana )

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/honours-records/first-stats

Lancs Harp
13-02-2021, 10:09 PM
I know my local club Blackpool toured Nigeria, Ghana and then called Rhodesia in 1960. They played 8 games winning 7 of them. Tour started on May 4th. Im sure other must have toured too.

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2021, 10:12 PM
I know my local club Blackpool toured Nigeria, Ghana and then called Rhodesia in 1960. They played 8 games winning 7 of them. Tour started on May 4th. Im sure other must have toured too.
Aye but were Blackpool ever Champions of the World?

I think we beat a wee team from England called Preston North End :greengrin

Lancs Harp
13-02-2021, 10:15 PM
Aye but were Blackpool ever Champions of the World?

I think we beat a wee team from England called Preston North End :greengrin

That would go down very well in Blackpool.:greengrin

Stanley Matthews did play top flight football for Blackpool aged 457 though.

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2021, 10:22 PM

Gordon Smith was better than him according to Sir Matt Busby and us Scots stick together

I’m with Sir Matt

Gordon Smith retired at 40

I saw him on the pitch at Easter Road in 1970 for the FC Schalke 04 Friendly and he looked fit enough to play

Pretty sure we were the first club to tour South America

We taught the Brazilians how to play football :greengrin

stu in nottingham
14-02-2021, 12:33 AM
Just about the only decent bit of business Matt Gillies did at Forest, Ray, bringing Peter in. Gillies was incredibly unpopular after replacing ex Busby Babe Johnny Carey as manager but to be fair to him, he was having pretty well every decent player Forest had at the time sold from under him. Forest were unique at that time having a committee running the club and they made life more or less impossible for Gilies to be successful.

Peter was succesful and really popular at Forest but he was ultimately too good for a previously very good side a couple of years prior that was in steep decline. Bill Shankly spotted his abilty and as you know, the rest is history.

Great and versatile player of many and varied talents and a great favourite of yours and mine.

What a player.

As a nipper, I lived just off the Prom at Porty and I'd regularly run in to the two Peter's [Cormack & marinello] walking along the Prom and as I'd invariably be in my Hibs strip they never failed to have a chat. I remember their last season, the early season wins at Tynie & Parkhead and being at Ibrox with a Rangers supporting school mate that October [69], watching Marinello 2 and the goal machine, Joe McBride putting us top of the league with a 3-1 win. I also remember the lead up to the NY derby, being distraught with the news that Peter Marinello had gone to Arsenal and his big mate, was sent off that day for retaliation after again being chopped down by Peter Oliver in what had become a traditional 0-0 derby NY draw. Less than four months later playing football on the Prom, just four days after Peter Cormack got a brace in a 4-1 win against St Johnstone my pal showed me the back page of the Evening News which was about Matt Gillies [stealing] Peter Cormack for Forest for 80k. I wanted Harrower to go there and then as a few days earlier, after the game, I was heading for my regular post match home game visit to my grans, mimicking PC's high kicking style as I ran along the road.

Less than 18 month later, Harrower was long gone, we dominated the derby & the two Peter's had effectively been replaced by the two Alex's, Edwards and Cropley and we had the added bonuses of Arthur Duncan and Alan Gordon.

Ray_
14-02-2021, 07:33 AM
Just about the only decent bit of business Matt Gillies did at Forest, Ray, bringing Peter in. Gillies was incredibly unpopular after replacing ex Busby Babe Johnny Carey as manager but to be fair to him, he was having pretty well every decent player Forest had at the time sold from under him. Forest were unique at that time having a committee running the club and they made life more or less impossible for Gilies to be successful.

Peter was succesful and really popular at Forest but he was ultimately too good for a previously very good side a couple of years prior that was in steep decline. Bill Shankly spotted his abilty and as you know, the rest is history.

Great and versatile player of many and varied talents and a great favourite of yours and mine.

What a player.

Yeah, I remember the Ian Storey-Moore fiasco in the spring of 1972 with him being introduced at Derby and then signing for Man U & then Henry Newton, those were likely to be the better players PC joined at Forest in 1970, Hibs on the other hand had far better players then.

Ray_
14-02-2021, 07:43 AM
Gordon Smith was better than him according to Sir Matt Busby and us Scots stick together

I’m with Sir Matt

I saw him on the pitch at Easter Road in 1970 for the FC Schalke 04 Friendly and he looked fit enough to play

I remember that as well and Nigbur's [Sepp Maier's German number 2] performance in preventing us from scoring during the 0-0 game , up there with McCloy's Scottish cup display in 1973.

As a 13/14 YO in 1970 the FF team seemed like a lifetime ago and they last played together in 1955, so only 15 years and this game doesn't seem anywhere near 51 years ago!

FilipinoHibs
14-02-2021, 07:53 AM
I remember that as well and Nigbur's [Sepp Maier's German number 2] performance in preventing us from scoring during the 0-0 game , up there with McCloy's Scottish cup display in 1973.

As a 13/14 YO in 1970 the FF team seemed like a lifetime ago and they last played together in 1955, so only 15 years and this game doesn't seem anywhere near 51 years ago!

Scottish engineers brought the game to Brazil via the port of Santos but so did the Portuguese colonists and the ties with the old Colonial ruler. South America had a pretty good world cup record prior to Hibs tour of Brasil. The Famous Five were admired in Brazil for their total football attacking front 5. This definitely made the Brasil more fluid and attacking. Speaking as my father's family are Brasilian and arrived in the late 18th century from Portugal living Minas Gerais and Sao Paulo state. My father came here in early 1950s and used to go to see the famous 5.

I am afraid there were lots of tours by UK clubs in the early 20th century to promote the game there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_football_clubs_tours_to_South_America#:~:t ext=Southampton%20F.C.%20was%20the%20first,Notting ham%20Forest%20F.C.%20in%201905.

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2021, 08:12 AM
Scottish engineers brought the game to Brazil via the port of Santos but so did the Portuguese colonists and the ties with the old Colonial ruler. South America had a pretty good world cup record prior to Hibs tour of Brasil. The Famous Five were admired in Brazil for their total football attacking front 5. This definitely made the Brasil more fluid and attacking. Speaking as my father's family are Brasilian and arrived in the late 18th century from Portugal living Minas Gerais and Sao Paulo state. My father came here in early 1950s and used to go to see the famous 5.

I am afraid there were lots of tours by UK clubs in the early 20th century to promote the game there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_football_clubs_tours_to_South_America#:~:t ext=Southampton%20F.C.%20was%20the%20first,Notting ham%20Forest%20F.C.%20in%201905.
I remember watching a BT Sports Documentary ‘Brothers In Football’ where a team that had visited South America early last century from England now non-League visited one of the teams they had played who were now Premiership standard and played in a huge Stadium but they made sure the wee fat English striker scored so he could celebrate

FilipinoHibs
14-02-2021, 08:24 AM
I remember watching a BT Sports Documentary ‘Brothers In Football’ where a team that had visited South America early last century from England now non-League visited one of the teams they had played who were now Premiership standard and played in a huge Stadium but they made sure the wee fat English striker scored so he could celebrate

Corinthians and Exeter toured. The Sao Paulo Corinthians took their name from the former. Third Lanark were first Scottish team to tour.

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2021, 08:28 AM
Corinthians and Exeter toured. The Sao Paulo Corinthians took their name from the former. Third Lanark were first Scottish team to tour.

Pretty sure it was Corinthians as they had images wearing their England caps from back in the day

The South American team came over here and they had a neat wee Stadium stuck up a back street

Worth a watch if you can find a stream

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2021, 08:41 AM

https://youtu.be/-ypJejySM4g

Corinthian Casuals

judas
14-02-2021, 09:43 AM
Your comment on the colour maroon reminded me of a piece of writing by the Scottish poet, Alan Bold. Alan was a great Hibs man & IIRC his piece eulogised the colour green. He talked about freshness, the colour of the grass and spring etc. He then described maroon as (i paraphrase)"last night's cheap red wine spilled in an overflowing ashtray".
Perfect really!!

Thanks so much for this. I will be using that many times from now on.

brog
14-02-2021, 09:56 AM
Thanks so much for this. I will be using that many times from now on.

I'll see if I can find the original. Alan Bold was a real character, was described as the modern day Burns & did his best to live up to Rabbie's carousing ways. I used to meet him in The Windsor Buffet, he was great entertainment!

Mick O'Rourke
14-02-2021, 10:01 AM

I’m with Sir Matt

Cannot remember who said this

" If Gordon Smith had been English ,we would be talking about him,as we do Matthews and Finney"

I paraphrased that quote from memory.
I did read it years ago.
I wish i could remember who said it.
But it always stuck with me.
It may have been Sir Matt,even if he did say "we"

FilipinoHibs
14-02-2021, 11:21 AM

457 some age to be still playing. He did go on to play for Hibernian of Malta.

Lancs Harp
14-02-2021, 11:23 AM
457 some age to be still playing. He did go on to play for Hibernian of Malta.

Aye played well into his hundreds Stanley.

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2021, 11:25 AM
Cannot remember who said this

" If Gordon Smith had been English ,we would talking about him,as we do Matthews and Finney"

I paraphrased that quote from memory.
I did read it years ago.
I wish i could remember who said it.
But it always stuck with me.
It may have been Sir Matt,even if he did say "we"

Not being funny but a few years back if you asked any older gentleman who the best player they ever saw was and regardless of allegiance it was always “ Gordon Smith son! “

JoeT
14-02-2021, 12:15 PM
Was there another hibs player that went to Arsenal at the same time as Peter? Have had a chat a couple of times with a chap in our local that said he'd went down at the same time. Could never work out who he was.

Hiber-nation
14-02-2021, 12:23 PM
Was there another hibs player that went to Arsenal at the same time as Peter? Have had a chat a couple of times with a chap in our local that said he'd went down at the same time. Could never work out who he was.

Alex Cropley but that was about 4 or 5 years later.

brog
14-02-2021, 12:48 PM
Alex Cropley but that was about 4 or 5 years later.

And Joe Baker and Johnny Macleod left Arsenal 4 or 5 years before Peter arrived.

gbhibby
14-02-2021, 02:37 PM
I am sure it was Tom Finney who was asked how he felt being voted the best winger in the world, his reply was something along the lines that that chap Smith at Hibs would have something to say about that.

YehButNoBut
14-02-2021, 04:04 PM
Peter Marinello was at a family wedding a few years ago, sat and had a chat with him, lovely guy and happy to chat about his time at Hibs & football in general.

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Found this interesting profile on the HIBS website:

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/midfielders/peter-marinello

Mick O'Rourke
14-02-2021, 04:28 PM
Found this interesting profile on the HIBS website:

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/midfielders/peter-marinello

The article mentions his Easter Road debut v Dundee Utd and that Peter tormented his marker.

The marker,Jimmy Briggs, was the same guy that shattered 17 yr old Jimmy O'Rourke's leg a few years earlier and set Jimmy back years.
Jimmy Briggs likely could not catch Peter, or he would have nailed him.

Mick O'Rourke
14-02-2021, 06:31 PM
Not being funny but a few years back if you asked any older gentleman who the best player they ever saw was and regardless of allegiance it was always “ Gordon Smith son! “
Yes ,an old pal of mine, sadly passed a couple of years ago at 84, would always say Smith

When Gordon was working his magic at ER ,Celtic fans would rave about Charlie Tully and the Govan mob would champion Willie Waddell ......

"But the cocky wee Gordon's the pride o' them a' "

Mick O'Rourke
14-02-2021, 06:44 PM
I am sure it was Tom Finney who was asked how he felt being voted the best winger in the world, his reply was something along the lines that that chap Smith at Hibs would have something to say about that.

:aok: Brilliant stuff
At least players of that era knew class among peers ,even if English pundits and journalists did not(know much about Gordon)

Tommy Docherty once said in an interview that Matthews was better than Smith.
But having spent most of his playing career in England,Doc would have maybe have seen Matthews a lot more than Smith

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2021, 06:58 PM
Yes ,an old pal of mine, sadly passed a couple of years ago at 84, would always say Smith

When Gordon was working his magic at ER ,Celtic fans would rave about Charlie Tully and the Govan mob would champion Willie Waddell ......

"But the cocky wee Gordon's the pride o' them a' "
A Gordon for me tae!

His biography ‘Prince Of Wingers’ by his son Tony is an excellent read

Brings a tear to a glass eye

As I said above the FF when they were on the pitch at the Schalke game Smith looked as fit as a fiddle

ancient hibee
14-02-2021, 07:16 PM
I always thought Finney was better than Matthews who was a one position man.Finney could play anywhere along the front. When Preston played Edinburgh Select at ER he was centre forward and a class above anyone else on the park.Two memories of Matthews- England were playing Brazil in a friendly and were tanking them I stood in PTs electrical department watching the match on the way home from school-a common thing to do those days-Stanley went skating past the left back for the umpteenth time who chased after and pulled off a textbook tackle unfortunately for a rugby player. The ref just gave him a sympathetic pat on the head. Stanley came with Stoke to play Hearts in a friendly.Think he was over 50. Davie Holt was left back-hard as nails of course-told me afterwards he was terrified to tackle him in case he went down in history as the man who killed Stanley Matthews.

Mick O'Rourke
14-02-2021, 07:31 PM
I always thought Finney was better than Matthews who was a one position man.Finney could play anywhere along the front. When Preston played Edinburgh Select at ER he was centre forward and a class above anyone else on the park.Two memories of Matthews- England were playing Brazil in a friendly and were tanking them I stood in PTs electrical department watching the match on the way home from school-a common thing to do those days-Stanley went skating past the left back for the umpteenth time who chased after and pulled off a textbook tackle unfortunately for a rugby player. The ref just gave him a sympathetic pat on the head. Stanley came with Stoke to play Hearts in a friendly.Think he was over 50. Davie Holt was left back-hard as nails of course-told me afterwards he was terrified to tackle him in case he went down in history as the man who killed Stanley Matthews.

Wonderful memories there AH
PTs !! Patrick Thomsons for the younger viewers, more recently Argos on the North Bridge

AH
I, as a schoolboy, delivered Davie Holts milk when he played for hertz and lived in Clerwood
I worked with the "dummy"
I would collect the milk money on a saturday morning.
Most times,Davie would answer the door, pay his bill and give me a good tip .
I would usually have my Hibs scarf on, as i would be off to the game when milk run collection finished
He always said good luck.. Nice man and a very good footballer.

I also delivered Tommy Walkers milk on another run in Barnton !!!

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2021, 07:37 PM
Great memories guys

Makes hibs.net worthwhile

Well done

:top marks

Mick O'Rourke
14-02-2021, 08:02 PM
Great memories guys

Makes hibs.net worthwhile

Well done

:top marks

Billy
I am sure i wont be alone in saying ,that particularly for us older gadjies who have been on lockdown and shielding for near a year,your threads on History and quizzes,etc have been something to look forward to on the forum.

Its been great viewing the utube links of games, either i have completely forgotten, or was there and still forgot due to drink !

Keep up the good work and cheers:thumbsup:

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2021, 08:14 PM
Billy
I am sure i wont be alone in saying ,that particularly for us older gadjies who have been on lockdown and shielding for near a year,your threads on History and quizzes,etc have been something to look forward to on the forum.

Its been great viewing the utube links of games, either i have completely forgotten, or was there and still forgot due to drink !

Keep up the good work and cheers:thumbsup:

Lancs Harp
14-02-2021, 08:15 PM

As a Blackpool lad here's a bar of soap please wash your mouth out. :greengrin

Seriously Tom Finney was a great player, but Sir Stan was better, played for evermore and was a European footballer of the year (good one for pub quizes, which British Clubs have had a European footballer of the year. I dont think many will list Blackpool.)

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2021, 08:18 PM
As a Blackpool lad here's a bar of soap please wash your mouth out. :greengrin

Seriously Tom Finney was a great player, but Sir Stan was better, played for evermore and was a European footballer of the year (good one for pub quizes, which British Clubs have had a European footballer of the year. I dont think many will list Blackpool.)
George Best :greengrin

Lancs Harp
14-02-2021, 08:20 PM
George Best :greengrin

There's been a few Billy but I dont think many would have expected Blackpool to provide one.

gbhibby
14-02-2021, 08:33 PM
PTs !! Patrick Thomsons for the younger viewers, more recently Argos on the North Bridge

AH
I, as a schoolboy, delivered Davie Holts milk when he played for hertz and lived in Clerwood
I would usually have my Hibs scarf on, as i would be off to the game when milk run collection finished

Mick I am sure he stayed around the corner from Gordon Marshall, I also used to see Davie Clunie around that area.

gbhibby
14-02-2021, 08:37 PM
I totally agree with Mick keep up the good work.

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2021, 09:00 PM
I totally agree with Mick keep up the good work.

ancient hibee
14-02-2021, 09:42 PM

AH

I worked in Corstorphine for about five years in the 1960s Mick and there were a few sportsmen were customers-Davie Holt was one and he was always up for a chat .As was Bobby Parker who was more dyed in the wool Hearts.

CropleyWasGod
14-02-2021, 09:56 PM

AH

If you worked for Logan & Forrest, chances are you delivered ours as well 😁

FilipinoHibs
14-02-2021, 11:19 PM
https://youtu.be/-ypJejySM4g

Corinthian Casuals

Thank you.

BILLYHIBS
15-02-2021, 05:58 AM
I worked in Corstorphine for about five years in the 1960s Mick and there were a few sportsmen were customers-Davie Holt was one and he was always up for a chat .As was Bobby Parker who was more dyed in the wool Hearts.

Like ‘Nello I was brought up that side of town and up until I was about 10 I would never miss a game at Tiny usually climbing in or getting a ‘lift over mister?’

My Dad was a hibby

Anyway even at a tender age my young eyes could see that Davie Holt was some player the SDG of his day

:duck:

Mick O'Rourke
16-02-2021, 03:47 PM
If you worked for Logan & Forrest, chances are you delivered ours as well 😁
lol
Yes,
worked with L&F at D/Mains.
Did Barnton,Cammo and Ravelston Dykes route.
Early start with them
But better money !!
I did deliver the milk for some famous footballers and local celebs ,early /mid 60s
R u Famous, too :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
16-02-2021, 03:52 PM
lol
Yes,
Early start with them
But better money !!
I did deliver the milk for some famous footballers and local celebs ,early /mid 60s

Fraid not. :greengrin

I was a Clerrie boy, like you. Think we've had this conversation before, but I stayed over the back fence from you. :greengrin

Mick O'Rourke
16-02-2021, 04:04 PM
Fraid not. :greengrin

I was a Clerrie boy, like you. Think we've had this conversation before, but I stayed over the back fence from you. :greengrin
Yes indeed
Ah. the back field
Bonfire nights and burnt spuds !

WoreTheGreen
16-02-2021, 04:07 PM
lol
Yes,
Early start with them
But better money !!

Tommy Walker stayed opposite the zoo i worked in his house a absolutel gent he knew I was a Hibby but showed me various photos and his OBE

gbhibby
16-02-2021, 06:20 PM
Yes indeed
Ah. the back field
Bonfire nights and burnt spuds !
Remember it well the burnt spuds tasted fantastic. Houses there now. You will remember the street take ons on the big field.

jgl07
18-02-2021, 03:27 PM
This episode from the 1995 TV Series Kicking and Screaming includes a fair section on Peter. It is towards the end around 33 minutes into the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrZfu0sp7eE&feature=emb_logo

Iggy Pope
19-02-2021, 07:04 PM
Tommy Walker stayed opposite the zoo i worked in his house a absolutel gent he knew I was a Hibby but showed me various photos and his OBE

I’ve a mate runs a B&B opposite the Zoo. Which one was Tommy Walkers house can you recall? I’d love to tell the Hertz **** if he never knew this. Childish I know.

WoreTheGreen
19-02-2021, 07:12 PM
I’ve a mate runs a B&B opposite the Zoo. Which one was Tommy Walkers house can you recall? I’d love to tell the Hertz **** if he never knew this. Childish I know.

One of the cul de sacs opposite the zoo St Johns?

BILLYHIBS
20-02-2021, 06:20 AM
Happy Birthday Peter 71 today

Many Happy Returns

Thanks for the memories

‘Punchinello Rocks The ‘Gers’

:partyhibb:scarf:

:party:

Typical ‘Nello goal and a rare goal for the Arsenal 2.25

https://youtu.be/0GJ6n7up7PQ

:not worth

Pagan Hibernia
20-02-2021, 07:43 AM
Is there no footage out there of Peter at his dashing best for Hibs?

BILLYHIBS
20-02-2021, 09:08 AM

Said it on another thread struggling to get decent VT of the Hibees these days

Ray_
20-02-2021, 11:22 AM

Its surprising, the day he was transferred to Arsenal it was nationwide headline news and his Two goals at Ibrox was being repeatedly shown on the national news programmes.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2021, 07:04 PM
One of the cul de sacs opposite the zoo St Johns?

Ta. He’s on the main road. Pity that.