PDA

View Full Version : Help - Goalkeeper in 1981/82 squad photo

wallpaperman
07-02-2021, 08:56 AM
I’m sure a lot of you will know this instantly, but it’s been doing my head in since yesterday.

There’s a Hibs squad photo on one the Hibs fan Instagram pages of the 81/82 squad and for the life of me I cannot remember who the second goalie is, pictured between Willie Jamieson and Craig Paterson. Must have been just before Robin Rae came on to the scene.

That’s my era, I was 12 years old and as keen as anything, went to Leith Academy at the old annexe and used to see players coming and going every day.

But the players name totally escapes me. Someone else asked the question on the IG post, but no one has answered.

I could head up to the attic to find my programmes from then and it might answer it, but please put me out my misery :greengrin

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/509329039090015269/

Edit: title should be ‘squad’ photo, can’t edit.

DroitwichHibs
07-02-2021, 09:00 AM
I’m sure a lot of you will know this instantly, but it’s been doing my head in since yesterday.

There’s a Hibs squad photo on one the Hibs fan Instagram pages of the 81/82 squad and for the life of me I cannot remember who the second goalie is, pictured between Willie Jamieson and Craig Paterson. Must have been just before Robin Rae Camden to the scene.

That’s my era, I was 12 years old and as keen as anything, went to Leith Academy at the old annexe and used to see players coming and going every day.

But the players name totally escapes me. Someone else asked the question on the IG post, but no one has answered.

I could head up to the attic to find my programmes from then and it might answer it, but please put me out my misery :greengrin

Ally Donaldson. Had a short spell after signing from Dundee.

MonarchHibby
07-02-2021, 09:00 AM

There’s a Hibs squad photo on one the Hibs fan Instagram pages of the 81/82 squad and for the life of me I cannot remember who the second goalie is, pictured between Willie Jamieson and Craig Paterson. Must have been just before Robin Rae Camden to the scene.

The goalie is Alistair Donaldson, signed from Dundee.

weecounty hibby
07-02-2021, 09:01 AM
Without looking it up was it not someone we signed from Dundee? Ally someone maybe? Bain?

bigwheel
07-02-2021, 09:01 AM
Ally Donaldson

wallpaperman
07-02-2021, 09:06 AM
Thanks folks, the name is vaguely familiar as a player from other teams, but not as a Hibs player. :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
07-02-2021, 01:43 PM
It's John Greig

CropleyWasGod
07-02-2021, 01:46 PM
Who's in the front row, beside Arthur?

Pat Carroll?

WoreTheGreen
07-02-2021, 01:51 PM
Who's in the front row, beside Arthur?

Pat Carroll?

Ian Hendry

CropleyWasGod
07-02-2021, 01:53 PM
Ian Hendry

Ah, cheers. The guy that broke his leg. No wonder I didn't recognise him.

KingPat4
07-02-2021, 01:59 PM
Donaldson. Great keeper at Dundee, total mince in the few games he played for us.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-02-2021, 02:49 PM
Can't really pick out anyone in that photie, who isn't playing second fiddle to Benny and Willie J's hairdos.

G B Young
07-02-2021, 03:21 PM
Presumably our pre-season pic after winning the First Division. Is that John Lambie among the coaching staff?

I associate that time with being very grim and low on quality post-Tornadoes but there are a fair number of good players in there. We were very much left in the slipstream if the emergent 'new firm' tho.

WoreTheGreen
07-02-2021, 03:24 PM
Presumably our pre-season pic after winning the First Division. Is that John Lambie among the coaching staff?

I associate that time with being very grim and low on quality post-Tornadoes but there are a fair number of good players in there. We were very much left in the slipstream if the emergent 'new firm' tho.

Yeah John Lambie complete with his RFC tattoo

EI255
07-02-2021, 03:29 PM

There’s a Hibs squad photo on one the Hibs fan Instagram pages of the 81/82 squad and for the life of me I cannot remember who the second goalie is, pictured between Willie Jamieson and Craig Paterson. Must have been just before Robin Rae came on to the scene.

Edit: title should be ‘squad’ photo, can’t edit.That strip is sublime!

That shade of green... OMG! A thing of pure beauty.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
07-02-2021, 03:52 PM
Some absolutely magnificent barnets there :greengrin

Greenwich_Hibby
07-02-2021, 07:40 PM
And the absolutely honkin Stuart Turnbull... probably the worst Hibs player I ever saw.

Kato
07-02-2021, 09:02 PM
I associate that time with being very grim and low on quality post-Tornadoes

Spit it out - you mean Benny don't you.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
07-02-2021, 11:14 PM
Spit it out - you mean Benny don't you.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

And his perm on that photo is truly shocking. Who is that with the even bigger afro, next to the keeper?

The Harp
07-02-2021, 11:29 PM
And his perm on that photo is truly shocking. Who is that with the even bigger afro, next to the keeper?

It's Willie Jamieson.

Hibernia&Alba
07-02-2021, 11:45 PM
It's Willie Jamieson.

Thanks. 1982 was before my time.

G B Young
07-02-2021, 11:48 PM
Front row between Arthur Duncan and Jackie Mac? I'm guessing Mike Conroy but think he might have arrived a bit later.

Peevemor
08-02-2021, 05:18 AM
Front row between Arthur Duncan and Jackie Mac? I'm guessing Mike Conroy but think he might have arrived a bit later.Bobby Flavell maybe?

SideBurns
08-02-2021, 05:26 AM
That strip is sublime!

That shade of green... OMG! A thing of pure beauty.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Thing about that strip is we didn't actually wear it during the 81/82 season. That was the strip we had worn in the First Division, we changed it for the start of 81/82 (I have a vague memory that the team stuck with this one for a pre-season friendly v Sunderland).

WoreTheGreen
08-02-2021, 05:28 AM
Front row between Arthur Duncan and Jackie Mac? I'm guessing Mike Conroy but think he might have arrived a bit later.

Ian Hendry

Yorkshire HFC
08-02-2021, 07:17 AM
Bobby Flavell maybe?

There's a name I'd forgotten. I remember him being pretty good for a season or so, and then just disappearing.

The thing is, there's quite a few good players in that photo - but we were still not very good.

superfurryhibby
08-02-2021, 07:48 AM
Check the angle of the slope in the photo, could it really have been that bad or is it an optical illusion.

The goalie, Ally Donaldson. He’s a regular poster on Scottish Football of Yesteryear and he’s an engaging guy. Loves talking about his time in the game. He had a long career and played in some decent sides at Dundee, with spells at Falkirk and Hibs. Like a few others in the photo, he was at the tail end of career whilst at Hibs.

Peevemor
08-02-2021, 07:48 AM
There's a name I'd forgotten. I remember him being pretty good for a season or so, and then just disappearing.

The thing is, there's quite a few good players in that photo - but we were still not very good.I googled him to remind myself what he looked like and was surprised to see that he died at only 39 years old.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210208/f854b2a7eec327610e7a01ac0af99748.jpg

Peevemor
08-02-2021, 07:58 AM
Check the angle of the slope in the photo, could it really have been that bad or is it an optical illusion.

The goalie, Ally Donaldson. He’s a regular poster on Scottish Football of Yesteryear and he’s an engaging guy. Loves talking about his time in the game. He had a long career and played in some decent sides at Dundee, with spells at Falkirk and Hibs. Like a few others in the photo, he was at the tail end of career whilst at Hibs.

The photo exaggerates it - even the bench they're sitting on isn't parallel to the bottom of the photo.

DaveF
08-02-2021, 09:29 AM
Who is that to the left of Jim McArthur?

Simon Murray's dad to his right isn't it?

stantonhibby
08-02-2021, 09:36 AM
Who is that to the left of Jim McArthur?

Simon Murray's dad to his right isn't it?

John Connolly

malcolm
08-02-2021, 09:43 AM
John Connolly

He is to Jim’s right but left as we see it.. think on the other side is Murray.

DaveF
08-02-2021, 10:54 AM
He is to Jim’s right but left as we see it.. think on the other side is Murray.

Sorry, yes you are correct. Getting my rights and left all arse for elbow 😁

weecounty hibby
08-02-2021, 08:18 PM
On a side note. Just how good is that strip and tracksuit combo. We had some great strips in the early 80s

G B Young
08-02-2021, 08:24 PM
On a side note. Just how good is that strip and tracksuit combo. We had some great strips in the early 80s

I didn't think so at the time as I thought the Umbro/Bukta trim spoiled the pure white sleeves, but looking back those strips have grown on me.

Billy Whizz
08-02-2021, 08:28 PM

It is, probably the fact that it was before sponsors make it look better

tamig
08-02-2021, 09:13 PM
It is, probably the fact that it was before sponsors make it look better

Still got that strip in the house somewhere. We had some decent Umbro kits in the early 80s.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-02-2021, 09:13 PM

The thing is, there's quite a few good players in that photo - but we were still not very good.

We swapped him to Motherwell for Willie Irvine.