PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Hogg

Pages : [1] 2

houstonhibbee
06-02-2021, 05:51 PM
Pretty sure I heard him ask for confirmation “Did the Hibs win”? As he walked off the pitch with the Calcutta cup.
Anyone else confirm?

aljo7-0
06-02-2021, 05:53 PM
Not sure but he'll be a happy man tonight

Pretty Boy
06-02-2021, 05:55 PM
He's regularly seen at ER so wouldn't surprise me.

mjh
06-02-2021, 06:07 PM
Some game he played today - and now must be in pole position to become first hibbie Lions captain

06-02-2021, 06:10 PM
Some game he played today - and now must be in pole position to become first hibbie Lions captain

Wonder what the bookies odds were for a Hibs Scotland double?

hibee-boys
06-02-2021, 06:10 PM
Didn’t realise he was a hibby👍

G B Young
06-02-2021, 06:12 PM
He might have been pointing out that Hibs won too, thus making it a great day for him all round as I think our game was finished before the Scotland game?

Mind you, I guess he mabye wouldn't be checking football scores before such a big game lest it impact on his focus.

He's some player.

houstonhibbee
Coulda been gavin Hastings but he chose hearts where his three brothers including Scott were Hibbies

Golden Bear

I see him often on the West Stand side. 👍

hibbysam
06-02-2021, 06:13 PM
He might have been pointing out that Hibs won too, thus making it a great day for him all round as I think our game was finished before the Scotland game?

Mind you, I guess he mabye wouldn't be checking football scores before such a big game lest it impact on his focus.

He's some player.

Our game finished 5 minutes into the Scotland game.

hibbysam
06-02-2021, 06:13 PM

6/4 Hibs, 9/2 Scotland.

Since452
06-02-2021, 06:14 PM
I know this is a Hibs football forum but that was absolutely outstanding from Scotland. Brilliant. Decent day all round 😉

Gatecrasher
06-02-2021, 06:17 PM
I see him often on the West Stand side. 👍
A rugby player in with the prawn sandwich brigade :shocked:

Greenbeard
06-02-2021, 06:21 PM
Different era but so is John Rutherford.

NC1875
06-02-2021, 06:23 PM

Roughly 11/1 I’m sure my mate said. He’s quids in tonight

ronaldo7
06-02-2021, 06:23 PM

The Spaceman
06-02-2021, 06:24 PM
He’s a big Hibs fan. Delighted for him - incredible rugby player.

06-02-2021, 06:45 PM
Roughly 11/1 I’m sure my mate said. He’s quids in tonight

Good luck to him. Wish I had done it.

Col L
06-02-2021, 06:54 PM
Well done Hoggy ... Hibs Class.

A great day for Scotland and Hibs [emoji1184][emoji2528]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibee-boys
06-02-2021, 07:26 PM

2 favourite rugby sons from the Borders who are also Hibby’s! Big Hibs support down here in the Borders💚

hibee-boys
06-02-2021, 07:27 PM
A rugby player in with the prawn sandwich brigade :shocked:

Disappointed in Hoggy, thought he’d be as East Stand man🤔😂

Eyrie
06-02-2021, 07:34 PM
Made for an excellent day.

Watched the Hibs match live and recorded the Scotland game, although by skipping the half time chat I was able to see the second half live.

In both games, I kept feeling that not taking our chances would cost us but we were so solid defensively there was nothing to worry about.

lord bunberry
06-02-2021, 07:37 PM
I’m not a huge rugby fan, but I really enjoyed that game. It was a bit of a break from the wall to wall football that’s been on lately. Scotland were brilliant.

JohnM1875
06-02-2021, 08:31 PM
I’m not a huge rugby fan, but I really enjoyed that game. It was a bit of a break from the wall to wall football that’s been on lately. Scotland were brilliant.

Same! Never watch Rugby usually. But got right into that. Something about beating England at anything that feels so good.

The dalmeny
06-02-2021, 09:35 PM
It was a ‘we’ve won the cup’ face

Bristolhibby
06-02-2021, 09:59 PM
Great touch to let the debutants lift the Calcutta Cup.

As a Bath Fan, over the moon with Cameron Redpath performance.

What’s double today!

J

Iggy Pope
06-02-2021, 11:04 PM

And Iwan Tukalo.

FilipinoHibs
06-02-2021, 11:22 PM
He's from home town Hawick. Big Hibby.

Onceinawhile
06-02-2021, 11:56 PM
Didn't take the knee though. Knobber

1875Sean
07-02-2021, 12:21 AM
Great player, sure I heard he started to support Hibs due to a George Best connection in his family

Twiglet
07-02-2021, 12:30 AM
Not Stuart Hogg, but one of the Scotland debutants, Cameron Redpath, retweeted this a few days ago and I just saw it. Was this not a few years back when we played Falkirk? Even funnier with the music.

https://twitter.com/casualsdirect/status/1355410451975307264

FilipinoHibs
07-02-2021, 07:10 AM
Not Stuart Hogg, but one of the Scotland debutants, Cameron Redpath, retweeted this a few days ago and I just saw it. Was this not a few years back when we played Falkirk? Even funnier with the music.

Classic pavement dancers😀

FilipinoHibs
07-02-2021, 07:19 AM
Great player, sure I heard he started to support Hibs due to a George Best connection in his family

There was an active Hibs supporters group in the late 60s/early 70s in Hawick. It was because of the good football but to counteract the sectarianism in the town. There was a large Glasgow over spill housing estate in the town which was Loyalist - my family had the misfortune of being housed there when we arrived in the town. We have a Latin name and it was assumed we were RC. There was a significant number of RCs who had a separate primary school but went to the one High School. Consequently most of the town supported the old firm. I think I knew of one Hearts fan when at school there but lots of Hibs fans. Hawick RFC did play in green to. Edinburgh was easy to reach by train and then bus or car to watch games as well.

adam middlemass
07-02-2021, 07:37 AM
I’m sure Finn Russell’s a Hibby as well ! 👍

Not In The Know
07-02-2021, 08:47 AM
Pretty sure I heard him ask for confirmation “Did the Hibs win”? As he walked off the pitch with the Calcutta cup.
Anyone else confirm?
Can we see this anywhere? Would be ace

houstonhibbee
07-02-2021, 09:30 AM
Can we see this anywhere? Would be ace
Not sure what tv company had the rights but I watched the game live steaming from peacock in the US
co commentator was an ex scottish rugby player didn’t catch his name
rightvat the end of the live broadcast after the interview and parading the cup just before he went down the tunnel he embraced someone and said “ did the hibs win?”
he probably knew before kick off they were in the lead but the game hadn’t ended

MWHIBBIES
07-02-2021, 12:14 PM

:faf:

I'd almost forgotten about Falkirk. Irrelevant wee club were ****ing obsessed with us back then. Real shame where they are now. Not.

Mr. Wonderful
07-02-2021, 12:40 PM

He sure is. Last I seen him out and about he was steaming and throwing his weight around and burning 20 quid notes at the bar.

The dalmeny
07-02-2021, 12:45 PM

eh?

cabbageandribs1875
07-02-2021, 12:50 PM
there's always someone that will pop up with a negative comment on a positive thread :agree:

oh and his gran ate a hamster

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-02-2021, 01:03 PM

They were a right bunch of liberty takers that day. Hard as nails when attempting to pick off individuals whilst in a group.

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 01:13 PM
there's always someone that will pop up with a negative comment on a positive thread :agree:

oh and his gran ate a hamster

Guy and half his teammates last night showed what they feel about racism. Representing our country while at that may I add. Bunch of losers regardless of result and if he was one of them he can stay well clear of the club from now on. Walloper.

Greenbeard
07-02-2021, 01:33 PM
Guy and half his teammates last night showed what they feel about racism. Representing our country while at that may I add. Bunch of losers regardless of result and if he was one of them he can stay well clear of the club from now on. Walloper.

Didn't see it live but Townsend has said the minute's silence was to mark all those who have died from Covid, including several England ex-internationalists recently, Captain Sir Tom, as well as being an indicator against racism. Who has ever knelt during a one-minute silence?
Taking the knee was not planned, not even discussed in advance, and it was each individual player's choice in the moment to do so.
Standing for a minute's silence was the right thing to do IMO. If that makes me a walloper in your eyes that is fine and dandy.

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 01:37 PM
It was a minute's silence.

For rugby against racism...

CropleyWasGod
07-02-2021, 01:38 PM
For rugby against racism...

See the post above my deleted one. It explains it more clearly.

ElginHibbie
07-02-2021, 01:44 PM
Didn't see it live but Townsend has said the minute's silence was to mark all those who have died from Covid, including several England ex-internationalists recently, Captain Sir Tom, as well as being an indicator against racism. Who has ever knelt during a one-minute silence?
Taking the knee was not planned, not even discussed in advance, and it was each individual player's choice in the moment to do so.
Standing for a minute's silence was the right thing to do IMO. If that makes me a walloper in your eyes that is fine and dandy.

If it was a minute silence purely against racism I’d get expecting everyone to take the knee but as it seems like it was being used for multiple things and no direction from authorities about it, it’s no surprise it ended up like it did.

Completely different to if a footballer didn’t take a knee while the rest of those playing did

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 01:45 PM

If that’s the justification from one of the players then that makes it even poorer.

The whole line up was for the Rugby Against Racism campaign. if the death of captain Tom and his remembrance was to be engulfed into that then that’s not for me to comment on, but so be it. I don’t believe for one minute the squad went out there completely unaware of what they were being asked to do. You’re just making an observation as I am, that doesn’t make you a walloper. Acting the way they did has made them nothing less though.

hibee-boys
07-02-2021, 01:48 PM
Haven’t rugby adopted taking the knee prior to kick off, like in football, in support of kicking out racism? Never watch club rugby, will watch the Scotland games if there’s nothing else on so wouldn’t know. Switched over after the hibs game ended. Sounds like they’ve just tried to not offend anyone with the one minute silence on one knee........no wonder some players were confused if it wasn’t planned.

CropleyWasGod
07-02-2021, 01:48 PM
If that’s the justification from one of the players then that makes it even poorer.

The whole line up was for the Rugby Against Racism campaign. if the death of captain Tom and his remembrance was to be engulfed into that then that’s not for me to comment on, but so be it. I don’t believe for one minute the squad went out there completely unaware of what they were being asked to do. You’re just making an observation as I am, that doesn’t make you a walloper. Acting the way they did has made them nothing less though.

You might be interested in Billy Vinupola's comments:-

"A similar situation happened with the Black Lives Matter movement last week when we were asked if we want to take a knee or not.

"What I saw in terms of that movement was not aligned with what I believe in. They were burning churches and Bibles. I can't support that.

"Even though I am a person of colour, I'm still more a person of, I guess, Jesus."

hibee-boys
07-02-2021, 01:54 PM

"A similar situation happened with the Black Lives Matter movement last week when we were asked if we want to take a knee or not.

"What I saw in terms of that movement was not aligned with what I believe in. They were burning churches and Bibles. I can't support that.

"Even though I am a person of colour, I'm still more a person of, I guess, Jesus."

Sounds fair enough. There seems to be an assumption that if you don’t support BLM as an organisation you are racist. I’m glad that Billy aired his views and I hope people respect that.

weecounty hibby
07-02-2021, 01:58 PM
So not one single Welsh or Irish player took the knee during the silence. Racists, wallopers or just more clued up with better advice than was given yesterday? Looks like yesterday was a bit of a cluster **** with what was doing on.

cappoquinboy
07-02-2021, 02:00 PM
Just watched the Welsh and Irish teams observe the minutes silence for the exact same causes mentioned before the Scotland England game yesterday (including Rugby against racism) and not one player or official “took the knee” - surely they can’t all be “wallopers”??

Golden Bear
07-02-2021, 02:01 PM
There's just been the same minutes silence before the start of the Wales v Ireland game. The Black Lives campaign was again highlighted but I didn't see any of the squads "take the knee." If that's what was agreed then it doesn't show any disrespect whatsoever.

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 02:04 PM

A proven homophobe? Nah mate, not really. If that’s really the kind of quote and person you want to reference for this situation I think that says enough.

CropleyWasGod
07-02-2021, 02:08 PM
A proven homophobe? Nah mate, not really. If that’s really the kind of quote and person you want to reference for this situation I think that says enough.

I made no judgment. I merely cited the views of a black man, for balance.

Keith_M
07-02-2021, 02:11 PM
Is failing to Take The Knee the new 'They're Not Wearing A Poppy'?

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 02:12 PM
Is failing to Take The Knee the new 'They're Not Wearing A Poppy'?

Jesus, you serious?

Keith_M
07-02-2021, 02:13 PM
Jesus, you serious?

No, but you seem to be a bit too serious.

...and please don't call me Jesus.

WoreTheGreen
07-02-2021, 02:16 PM

If you’re Jesus you don’t take knee you take the nail

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 02:17 PM

Hold my hands up mate, I’m serious about racism [emoji45]. Morals eh?

ElginHibbie
07-02-2021, 02:19 PM

What about Les Ferdinand? He agreed with QPR stopping taking the knee in September cause he felt the message was being diluted?

Personally I didn’t agree with that decision and am in full support of BLM movement and taking the knee, but I’m also not naive enough to think everyone will agree on what’s right to do and I don’t think should jump straight to judging people for not observing things the way I would

QPR took the knee again at Millwall after their fans had booed their players doing it the match before, them having not taken it for a while before this made the message more impactful so maybe they were right?

The dalmeny
07-02-2021, 02:20 PM

you have no idea, you’re the walloper.

cabbageandribs1875
07-02-2021, 02:27 PM

i'm proud of every single one of they wallopers, every single one a winner, and who the heck made you boss in deciding who stays away from any club, walloper

cabbageandribs1875
07-02-2021, 02:29 PM

but that didn't stop you firing in without the facts and calling every Scottish player a "loser" and "walloper" pfft try and calm down to a frenzy

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 02:35 PM
you have no idea, you’re the walloper.

Of course.

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 02:41 PM
i'm proud of every single one of they wallopers, every single one a winner, and who the heck made you boss in deciding who stays away from any club, walloper

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210207/0a6e47d768cf6fa9dea3444b4bca1389.jpg
If you’re proud of what that sends then that’s on you but enjoy it nonetheless. At least the 11 working class boys at Hampden can send the right Message when asked of.

SChibs
07-02-2021, 03:21 PM
If you’re proud of what that sends then that’s on you but enjoy it nonetheless. At least the 11 working class boys at Hampden can send the right Message when asked of.

Just wondering, are the black football player who have not taken the knee wallpapers too? It's not really as clear cut as : taking the knee = not racist, not taking the knee = racist.

Alfred E Newman
07-02-2021, 03:34 PM
If you’re Jesus you don’t take knee you take the nail

Embarrassing.

Torto7
07-02-2021, 03:36 PM

That's your problem right there. You have a chip on your shoulder. Hoggy is working class btw as is Finn Russell and many others in the team. These guys don't have chips on their shoulders though and joined their local clubs and achieved. Are you sure it was 11 working class kids at Hampden? There's plenty of middle class footballers in Scotland.

Nobody should be told to kneel especially if it's poorly communicated like yesterday. I see Lawes wasn't kneeling and he's a black guy. Vunipola for religious reasons. I'd take the knee myself but I'm not in the business of telling others they should.

Golden Bear
07-02-2021, 03:41 PM
That's your problem right there. You have a chip on your shoulder. Hoggy is working class btw as is Finn Russell and many others in the team. These guys don't have chips on their shoulders though and joined their local clubs and achieved. Are you sure it was 11 working class kids at Hampden? There's plenty of middle class footballers in Scotland.

Nobody should be told to kneel especially if it's poorly communicated like yesterday. I see Lawes wasn't kneeling and he's a black guy. Vunipola for religious reasons. I'd take the knee myself but I'm not in the business of telling others they should.

Good post Torto.

👍

Jones28
07-02-2021, 03:45 PM

Great post

worcesterhibby
07-02-2021, 03:48 PM
To be honest, I think this all just goes to show what a pointless and divisive excercise all this virtue signalling is. A minutes silence that was for..all black people, some white people if they have died of covid (but not if they have died of other diseases I assume) everybody who works for the NHS ( or should that be all key workers) and of coarse Captain Tom Moore. Generally it is good practice to stand for a minutes silence to commemorate the dead...but it’s also expected that you kneel for Black Lives Matter....so which should they have done ?

it’s all nonsense....treat people as you would like to be treated, judge people by their actions, not their skin colour, religion or ethnicity and deal severely with anyone in sport or attending sport who abuses people in a racist or homophobic manner. We need to call a halt to this confused if well intention virtue signalling nonsense and concentrate on football and rugby being about.......football and rugby.

Berwickhibby
07-02-2021, 03:50 PM
To be honest, I think this all just goes to show what a pointless and divisive excercise all this virtue signalling is. A minutes silence that was for..all black people, some white people if they have died of covid (but not if they have died of other diseases I assume) everybody who works for the NHS ( or should that be all key workers) and of coarse Captain Tom Moore. Generally it is good practice to stand for a minutes silence to commemorate the dead...but it’s also expected that you kneel for Black Lives Matter....so which should they have done ?

it’s all nonsense....treat people as you would like to be treated, judge people by their actions, not their skin colour, religion or ethnicity and deal severely with anyone in sport or attending sport who abuses people in a racist or homophobic manner. We need to call a halt to this confused if well intention virtue signalling nonsense and concentrate on football and rugby being about.......football and rugby.

Post of the day :aok:

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-02-2021, 04:02 PM

Well said.

Keith_M
07-02-2021, 04:03 PM
Hold my hands up mate, I’m serious about racism [emoji45]. Morals eh?

I'm glad somebody is, as obviously the rest of us don't care about racism at all.

We are indeed honoured by your presence and humbly beg your forgiveness....

...but I'm still not called Jesus.

WhileTheChief..
07-02-2021, 04:09 PM

:top marks

The most recent taking the knee at Scottish games have lasted a few seconds tops.

Absolutely no chance the players are doing it cause they want to, they’ve been told to.

Needs to stop.

GordonHFC
07-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Since when did not taking the knee mean you were a racist?
Has anyone commented on the 3 English players who also didn't take the knee. I always thought it was a matter of choice not a requirement?

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 04:15 PM
Just wondering, are the black football player who have not taken the knee wallpapers too? It's not really as clear cut as : taking the knee = not racist, not taking the knee = racist.

Nobody is naive enough to assume that by taking a knee racism is simply solved. Just as not taking it doesn’t make you a full blown racist. Choosing to take it however is the clear, simple and now universal statement that you stand against intolerance, discrimination and a condemnation of racism.

For a young black rugby player in Scotland or England for that matter who has perhaps experienced racism before, what message has just been sent to them yesterday?

Pretty Boy
07-02-2021, 04:17 PM
I think it's fair enough that questions are asked as to why only 4 players in the Scotland squad participated. The fact Vunipola prepared a statement suggests the players involved in the game had an awareness it was happening. Scotland have a leadership group in the rugby squad so you would assume this was exactly the kind of thing they should be discussing.

It's not about forcing anyone to do anything but rather seeking an explanation as to why a group representing our country chose not to participate in a simple gesture that sportspeople across the world have observed for months now. I believe this is consistent with Scotlands club rugby sides also not taking a knee. Scotlands football players held a vote and unanimously agreed to continue the act, have rugby players done similar and was there a different outcome?

skedders
07-02-2021, 04:17 PM
Just because you don't support Black Lives Matter, it does not make you a racist. Some people just have issues with the ideas that BLM support.

Lyle Taylor explains why he does not take the knee - https://www.voice-online.co.uk/sport/football/2021/01/11/footballer-refuses-to-take-the-knee-as-he-has-his-doubts-over-black-lives-matter-campaign/

GordonHFC
07-02-2021, 04:20 PM
Got it now. Taking the knee means you are definitely not racist but not taking it means you probably are, maybe, perhaps. What a load of bull****.

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 04:21 PM
Since when did not taking the knee mean you were a racist?
Has anyone commented on the 3 English players who also didn't take the knee. I always thought it was a matter of choice not a requirement?

See my above reply.

Nobody has said it automatically qualifies you as a racist. The English players are just as much to blame but that’s a matter for them. Nobody has said it isn’t a matter of choice either, this is my point. When you see your team mates taking the knee and sending the message, as a professional role model why on earth would you not feel encouraged to join in? Completely tarnishes and undermines the good work and gesture the 4 or so Scottish players and the majority of other professional sportspersons have been trying to promote for nearly the last year.

weecounty hibby
07-02-2021, 04:28 PM
I think it's fair enough that questions are asked as to why only 4 players in the Scotland squad participated. The fact Vunipola prepared a statement suggests the players involved in the game had an awareness it was happening. Scotland have a leadership group in the rugby squad so you would assume this was exactly the kind of thing they should be discussing.

It's not about forcing anyone to do anything but rather seeking an explanation as to why a group representing our country chose not to participate in a simple gesture that sportspeople across the world have observed for months now. I believe this is consistent with Scotlands club rugby sides also not taking a knee. Scotlands football players held a vote and unanimously agreed to continue the act, have rugby players done similar and was there a different outcome?
Vunipolas statement wasn't prepared for yesterday's game. That was what he said rightvat the very start of players taking the knee. I think it was telling that today NO ONE from Wales or Ireland took the knee. It was a minutes silence for covid deaths, Capt Tom, anti racism and also for an ex Wales capt who had died. So four different reasons. Yesterday was the same and it seems that yesterday no one was sure what was happening. All sorted for today. But as usual someone wants to make an issue to prove just how special they are compared to everyone else. Especially when its this posh rugby boys.

cappoquinboy
07-02-2021, 04:29 PM

Post of the day 👍🇳🇬

ElginHibbie
:top marks

The most recent taking the knee at Scottish games have lasted a few seconds tops.

Absolutely no chance the players are doing it cause they want to, they’ve been told to.

Needs to stop.

The taking of the knee before kick off has always just been a few seconds, and it’s nonsense to claim the players don’t want to do it, if that was the case more clubs would have stopped by now

TelaStella

The same working class boy of Melrose academy burning 20 notes in front of punters at a bar in the town? I’m the one with a chip on my shoulder right enough.

Nobody has ever called it mandatory to take a knee, do people feel that attacked? Professional sports persons from all backgrounds have done admirable work this last year to highlight issues of discrimination and race, plenty more to do (evidently) but it’s notably recognised. The performance from those players on both sides yesterday completely tarnishes that. As I’ve already asked on another reply; for a young black rugby player experiencing racial grief, what message from his hero’s have been delivered?

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 04:32 PM
I'm glad somebody is, as obviously the rest of us don't care about racism at all.

We are indeed honoured by your presence and humbly beg your forgiveness....

...but I'm still not called Jesus.

Obviously you take it very seriously yourself Keith. Good man.

WhileTheChief..
07-02-2021, 04:34 PM
The taking of the knee before kick off has always just been a few seconds, and it’s nonsense to claim the players don’t want to do it, if that was the case more clubs would have stopped by now

Nope, it was a good 30 seconds or so to begin with, recently the knees barely touch the grass and they’re back up again!

It’s not down to individual clubs, it’s the league, after being told to by SRTRC.

Pretty Boy
07-02-2021, 04:35 PM
Vunipolas statement wasn't prepared for yesterday's game. That was what he said rightvat the very start of players taking the knee. I think it was telling that today NO ONE from Wales or Ireland took the knee. It was a minutes silence for covid deaths, Capt Tom, anti racism and also for an ex Wales capt who had died. So four different reasons. Yesterday was the same and it seems that yesterday no one was sure what was happening. All sorted for today. But as usual someone wants to make an issue to prove just how special they are compared to everyone else. Especially when its this posh rugby boys.

I'm not sure if the last sentence is aimed at me but it's nowt to do with rugby in itself as far as I'm concerned. I'd be asking the same question if members of the national football team had done similar during the recent game v Serbia.

On the theme though is it accurate the Scotland club rugby sides don't partake in the taking the knee and have they given as reason as to why? I assume it happens in England if Vunipola's statement relates to that so I suppose the same question still applies. Why have the rugby boys, posh or otherwise, chosen not to join in with a worldwide initiative? It seems a fair enough question to ask.

lord bunberry
07-02-2021, 04:36 PM
Is this not simply a case of bad communication or players taking the knee of their own backs? I find it hard to believe that so many of them would be against doing it. You see the odd one here and there in other sports, but largely most take the knee.

ElginHibbie
07-02-2021, 04:36 PM
Nope, it was a good 30 seconds or so to begin with, recently the knees barely touch the grass and they’re back up again!

It’s not down to individual clubs, it’s the league, after being told to by SRTRC.

Ok, but none of that prove that players don’t want to do it does it?

Pretty Boy
07-02-2021, 04:37 PM

The players voted to continue with the action. Whether they were pressured into doing so is another question but I'd expect someone to have broken ranks and said as much now if that was the case.

blackpoolhibs
07-02-2021, 04:37 PM
I understand why players have been taking the knee, although now it is hardly noticed and in my opinion gone past it's use.

There needs to be something else now, an update of taking the knee, i don't know what but something that brings the subject back to the fore, as i'm of the opinion it is not having the effect it did at the beginning.

ElginHibbie
07-02-2021, 04:39 PM
The same working class boy of Melrose academy burning 20 notes in front of punters at a bar in the town? I’m the one with a chip on my shoulder right enough.

Melrose academy? Never heard of that and googling it seems to indicate it’s as a real as that burning money story

weecounty hibby
07-02-2021, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure if the last sentence is aimed at me but it's nowt to do with rugby in itself as far as I'm concerned. I'd be asking the same question if members of the national football team had done similar during the recent game v Serbia.

On the theme though is it accurate the Scotland club rugby sides don't partake in the taking the knee and have they given as reason as to why? I assume it happens in England if Vunipola's statement relates to that so I suppose the same question still applies. Why have the rugby boys, posh or otherwise, chosen not to join in with a worldwide initiative? It seems a fair enough question to ask.

No not aimed at you but the person who brought working class football v middle class rugby into it

DIXIHIBS
07-02-2021, 04:41 PM
I understand why players have been taking the knee, although now it is hardly noticed and in my opinion gone past it's use.

There needs to be something else now, an update of taking the knee, i don't know what but something that brings the subject back to the fore, as i'm of the opinion it is not having the effect it did at the beginning.
Spot on. This thread shows how taking the knee itself has become a controversial thing to do (or not to do). Im sure many of those players agree with the original ethos of BLM but maybe have their own thoughts how to tackle racism. Not taking the knee doesnt make you racist.

joe t
07-02-2021, 04:42 PM
Obviously you take it very seriously yourself Keith. Good man.

You’re having a nightmare on this thread mate...

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-02-2021, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure if the last sentence is aimed at me

I very much doubt that it was.

Berwickhibby
07-02-2021, 04:44 PM
Perhaps this debate should be on the Holy Ground

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 04:47 PM
You’re having a nightmare on this thread mate...

Quite a few having a nightmare the night gadge. Pretty certain one of them isn’t me.

ElginHibbie
07-02-2021, 04:50 PM

I disagree that’s it’s past it’s use but agree there’s to be something else and I think it’s needs to be action.

All well and good showing you are against racism but what are Hibs/SFA/SRU etc doing to tackle it? Seems like players down south are getting more racial abuse than ever on social media so the clubs and authorities need to do more than just relaying on the players taking the knee to fight this

Greenbeard
07-02-2021, 04:55 PM

Taking the knee is far from omnipresent in sport though. There is a load of sport on tv where it is not done, or not that I have seen. Darts players before taking to the oche, athletes (discounting sprint starts!), cyclists before Tour stages, snooker players, jockeys before mounting. If the Olympics go ahead are we going to see it before every single event in every single sport? The IOC has always been firmly of the opinion that as soon as you allow one political gesture or slogan, no matter how worthy, the floodgates open and you then lose control.
Are we doing this in football forevermore? It's effectiveness in getting the message across was because initially it was unexpected and seen as anti-establishment. Once it became more common-place and was no longer an unusual or surprising action, it still remained effective due to widespread coverage. As soon as it becomes the norm, and dare I say now a bit of a bore, it becomes more dilute and less effective, much like the clap for the NHS. Time to move on I say, but that will me be a walloper then.

Pretty Boy
07-02-2021, 04:56 PM
I disagree that’s it’s past it’s use but agree there’s to be something else and I think it’s needs to be action.

All well and good showing you are against racism but what are Hibs/SFA/SRU etc doing to tackle it? Seems like players down south are getting more racial abuse than ever on social media so the clubs and authorities need to do more than just relaying on the players taking the knee to fight this

In a perverse way I actually think the increase in reported racist abuse is a 'good thing' in that it shows the initiative is working.

Victims feel empowered to speak out. Guys like Chris Kamara opening up about racist abuse from days gone by is as important as Marcus Rashford speaking out about what happened last week. Likewise the perpetrators feel threatened so they are lashing out, it's increasingly obvious their behaviour isn't tolerable any more and they don't like it.

Sioux
07-02-2021, 04:57 PM
Quite a few having a nightmare the night gadge. Pretty certain one of them isn’t me.

100 pipers marching up and down the esplanade. One of them thought that all others were marching out of step.

Golden Bear
Melrose academy? Never heard of that and googling it seems to indicate it’s as a real as that burning money story

There ain't no Academy in Melrose and never has been. And Mr Google has failed to find the burning money story for me.

ElginHibbie
In a perverse way I actually think the increase in reported racist abuse is a 'good thing' in that it shows the initiative is working.

Victims feel empowered to speak out. Guys like Chris Kamara opening up about racist abuse from days gone by is as important as Marcus Rashford speaking out about what happened last week. Likewise the perpetrators feel threatened so they are lashing out, it's increasingly obvious their behaviour isn't tolerable any more and they don't like it.

You might well be right, the abuse could be at same level as it’s always been but it’s just now being reported more, that would be a positive at least

Berwickhibby
07-02-2021, 04:58 PM

I agree, perhaps going back to the players wearing SRTRC T shirts pre kick off and carrying a red card might have a bit more impact ....

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 05:00 PM
100 pipers marching up and down the esplanade. One of them thought that all others were marching out of step.

Get out much?

ACLeith
07-02-2021, 05:05 PM

In that respect it’s a bit like the Thursday clapping. A great idea that reached its sell-by date. Stopping didn’t mean we’d changed our view of NHS/carers.

Maybe keep it going until fans are back then if there is any racist or sectarian abuse from the terracing then the ref abandons the game!

blackpoolhibs
07-02-2021, 05:10 PM
In that respect it’s a bit like the Thursday clapping. A great idea that reached its sell-by date. Stopping didn’t mean we’d changed our view of NHS/carers.

Maybe keep it going until fans are back then if there is any racist or sectarian abuse from the terracing then the ref abandons the game!

To be fair, it's not doing any harm, i just think it needs a shot in the arm, a boost, something but i have no idea what? :confused:

ACLeith
07-02-2021, 05:12 PM
To be fair, it's not doing any harm, i just think it needs a shot in the arm, a boost, something but i have no idea what? :confused:

Agree 100%

SChibs
07-02-2021, 05:21 PM

Imo taking the knee was the first step and it should have evolved into more action and support being given/taken. If taking the knee isnt working then maybe something new should be tried. I dont agree with doing away with it and leaving it as that tho. As a white person I cant say how it feels for black person but it looks like its turning into a bit of a token gesture and we should be taking the next steps into eradicating racism now.

oneone73
07-02-2021, 05:23 PM
There ain't no Academy in Melrose and never has been. And Mr Google has failed to find the burning money story for me.

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but the burning money tale used to be told about Charlie Nicholas when he was at Aberdeen. It was a £50 note then, though

Dmas
07-02-2021, 05:26 PM

I totally agree, it’s routine now there’s nothing stirring even the slightest conversation about what it’s supposed to represent until someone’s not done it, as we have here, or someone has dared suggest that it’s stopped.

Colin Kaepernick created a storm when he was taking the knee he was doing something he knew would cause controversy and the issues he was wanting to highlight would get the attention they deserved because he declined to stand for the national anthem, what’s happening here isn’t even affecting the course of a football game, there’s no media frenzy and there’s certainly nothing political happening so what chance does this have of creating the change that’s required?

I’ve no suggestions on what needs to happen to reignite the protest but the message of taking a knee has gone IMO

TAHibby
07-02-2021, 05:28 PM
Stopping or continuing is a different matter. It took place yesterday and the majority of the team chose not to take part. Why? I've no idea, maybe they all have similar crackpot views like Vunipola.

Frazerbob
07-02-2021, 05:35 PM
Stopping or continuing is a different matter. It took place yesterday and the majority of the team chose not to take part. Why? I've no idea, maybe they all have similar crackpot views like Vunipola.

It was a minutes silence, not a couple of seconds taking of the knee. The 4 chose to kneel rather than the rest choosing not to.

Golden Bear
07-02-2021, 05:39 PM
Dunno if it's been mentioned, but the burning money tale used to be told about Charlie Nicholas when he was at Aberdeen. It was a £50 note then, though

It seems to be a case of whoever or whatever suits the occasion. Anything to provoke comment I guess.

hibee-boys
07-02-2021, 05:39 PM

Nobody has ever called it mandatory to take a knee, do people feel that attacked? Professional sports persons from all backgrounds have done admirable work this last year to highlight issues of discrimination and race, plenty more to do (evidently) but it’s notably recognised. The performance from those players on both sides yesterday completely tarnishes that. As I’ve already asked on another reply; for a young black rugby player experiencing racial grief, what message from his hero’s have been delivered?

Melrose Academy? Sounds great, I’ve lived 5 miles down the road from Melrose for the last 35 years, including my school years......why was I never given the chance to attend, maybe I could’ve made it as an internationalist if I’d been offered all those privileges🤔😂

If you’re going to stain someone’s character the least you can do is present facts don’t you think?

Pretty Boy
07-02-2021, 05:43 PM
It was a minutes silence, not a couple of seconds taking of the knee. The 4 chose to kneel rather than the rest choosing not to.

Tbf the SRU have now acknowledged it was a moment of reflection for Rugby Against Racism and the players were aware of that. According to their statment it has happened regularly before rugby events in recent months.

I'm not sure if that changes anything but given the 6 Nations is the most high profile rugby event of the year it would have seemed logical for the players to have come to a collective decision. Townsend has said it wasn't discussed which seems naive on behalf of the player group.

Keith_M
07-02-2021, 05:44 PM
Nobody is naive enough to assume that by taking a knee racism is simply solved. Just as not taking it doesn’t make you a full blown racist. Choosing to take it however is the clear, simple and now universal statement that you stand against intolerance, discrimination and a condemnation of racism.

For a young black rugby player in Scotland or England for that matter who has perhaps experienced racism before, what message has just been sent to them yesterday?

Have you asked any young black Scottish rugby players their opinion yet?

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 06:00 PM
Have you asked any young black Scottish rugby players their opinion yet?

Peculiarly Keith I have yes.

Keith_M
07-02-2021, 06:01 PM
Peculiarly Keith I have yes.

So what was the general consensus?

Carheenlea
07-02-2021, 06:06 PM
If Stuart Hogg is a Hibs fan then he’s well on his way to being a damn good egg.

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 06:07 PM
So what was the general consensus?

You’re at it mate surely?
Cause genuinely I wonder what people in their position would make of this whole situation eh? Riddy man.

FilipinoHibs
07-02-2021, 06:10 PM

I noticed on the Scotsman Facebook story omments, the right wing middle class racists are having a field day with this. They are ecstatic. Tells you the message that has been sent out.

Lago
07-02-2021, 06:11 PM

Your unreal, you've gone from racism to class warfare in the Blink of an eye.

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 06:13 PM
Melrose Academy? Sounds great, I’ve lived 5 miles down the road from Melrose for the last 35 years, including my school years......why was I never given the chance to attend, maybe I could’ve made it as an internationalist if I’d been offered all those privileges[emoji848][emoji23]

If you’re going to stain someone’s character the least you can do is present facts don’t you think?

Aw sorry boss. Spending my whole life in Edinburgh and Glasgow you can sometimes miss the institutional specifics that the metropolis of Roxburghshire has on offer. Facts remain the same however.

JoeT
07-02-2021, 06:17 PM
Aw sorry boss. Spending my whole life in Edinburgh and Glasgow you can sometimes miss the institutional specifics that the metropolis of Roxburghshire has on offer. Facts remain the same however.

There are a handful of good posts on this thread. None of them are yours and none of yours are helping a healthy debate.....

Lago
07-02-2021, 06:17 PM
It's bull sh.. t plain & simple goes down well in certain company.

Lago
07-02-2021, 06:19 PM

Fake news🤔

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 06:20 PM
Your unreal, you've gone from racism to class warfare in the Blink of an eye.

Cheers! Not as if there’s no historical direct link between the two or anything like that.

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 06:22 PM
There are a handful of good posts on this thread. None of them are yours and none of yours are helping a healthy debate.....

Fact it’s a debate in the first place says something. Fact you’re raging says even more.

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 06:22 PM
Fake news[emoji848]

There it is...

hibeg
07-02-2021, 06:23 PM

There has been no club rugby played since last March PB

Since90+2
07-02-2021, 06:28 PM
Stuart Hogg is a good lad and a good Hibbie.

Pleased to see him be the captain that broke the Twickenham hoodoo.

The Pointer
07-02-2021, 06:39 PM
Shame the thread has been hijacked.

However, if you don't kneel you're a posh, right wing, racist? Really? What if those individuals have actually considered what this is all about and don't agree with it?

I find it completely embarrassing that we still see supposedly intelligent blokes kneeling that I never watch the start of a game. It's sad that in one of the most tolerant countries on earth some people feel they have to do a bit of virtue signalling before every game in support of a Marxist, racist organisation which has hijacked the situation in another country.

As I said on another thread I'd prefer it if players simply ran out the tunnel as they used to and just started to play the game. It's sport, not politics.

CropleyWasGod
07-02-2021, 06:41 PM
Hogg went to Hawick High.
Russell to Wallace Academy. Worked as a stonemason.
Johnny Gray was Calderglen.

Class traitors all 😉

Any others?

Keith_M
07-02-2021, 06:44 PM
You’re at it mate surely?
Cause genuinely I wonder what people in their position would make of this whole situation eh? Riddy man.

This was a genuine question.

I asked if you had spoken to any young black rugby players and you said yes. Therefore, I'm interested to hear what they said.

I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up abut that.

Wouldn't it be easier to just share their viewpoint with us?

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 06:46 PM

Class traitors all [emoji6]

Any others?

“Worked as a stonemason” [emoji23]. File under Michael Gove and “pure dead brilliant”.

Jones28
07-02-2021, 06:46 PM

I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up.

Because he’s talking bollocks.

hibee-boys
07-02-2021, 06:48 PM

There’s plenty specifics in your story, what you’re lacking is any facts. Time to call it a night I think before you make yourself sound even more ridiculous.

CropleyWasGod
07-02-2021, 06:49 PM
“Worked as a stonemason” [emoji23]. File under Michael Gove and “pure dead brilliant”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/finn-russell-stonemason-bright-lights-paris-292333%3famp

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 06:50 PM

I asked if you had spoken to any young black rugby players and you said yes. Therefore, I'm interested to hear what they said.

I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up abut that.

Wouldn't it be easier to just share their viewpoint with us?

Your ignorance is just staggering mate.

Keith_M
07-02-2021, 06:53 PM

You claim to be speaking on behalf of a group of people (young, black, Scottish rugby players) and, when asked their viewpoint, all you have done is lash out and name call.

Do you even know any young black, Scottish rugby players?

:dunno:

TelaStella
There’s plenty specifics in your story, what you’re lacking is any facts. Time to call it a night I think before you make yourself sound even more ridiculous.

Put your heed up you might see my point fly over.

Berwickhibby

I have crossed virtual swords with Keith_M on numerous occasions...but the last thing I would call him is ignorant :confused:

Lago

Class traitors all 😉

Any others?

Well I went to school with big Alistair McHarg back in the day, early 1960s,no fee paying schools in Irvine 😂

Gloucester Hibs
Tbf the SRU have now acknowledged it was a moment of reflection for Rugby Against Racism and the players were aware of that. According to their statment it has happened regularly before rugby events in recent months.

I'm not sure if that changes anything but given the 6 Nations is the most high profile rugby event of the year it would have seemed logical for the players to have come to a collective decision. Townsend has said it wasn't discussed which seems naive on behalf of the player group.

Why did not a single player take a knee before the Wales v Ireland game today? Was the minutes reflection exclusive to the Calcutta Cup match?

Since90+2
07-02-2021, 06:54 PM

Finn Russell is from Bridge of Allan and attended Wallace Academy which is the state school for north Stirling, he worked as Stonemason before earning a full time rugby contract. He's definitely "working class", not that it really matters to most folk.

Keith_M
07-02-2021, 06:54 PM
I have crossed virtual swords with Keith_M on numerous occasions...but the last thing I would call him is ignorant :confused:

Thanks, BH

:aok:

Jones28
07-02-2021, 06:57 PM
Thanks, BH

I’d like to second that Keith, not that we’ve crossed swords much(?).

Keith_M
07-02-2021, 06:58 PM
I’d like to second that Keith, not that we’ve crossed swords much(?).

Give it time

:wink:

Pretty Boy
07-02-2021, 07:01 PM
Why did not a single player take a knee before the Wales v Ireland game today? Was the minutes reflection exclusive to the Calcutta Cup match?

I'm only going by what the SRU said. I don't know whether it was exclusive to yesterday or what impact that had on the decision of the Irish and Welsh players.

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 07:03 PM
You claim to be speaking on behalf of a group of people (young, black, Scottish rugby players) and, when asked their viewpoint, all you have done is lash out and name call.

Do you even know any young black, Scottish rugby players?

On this forum I’m not speaking on behalf of anybody but myself. Since the break of this story as part of my job, myself and colleagues have been speaking to a number of rugby players from ethnic and minority backgrounds for their view on the matter. If that’s justifiable enough for you? Now you’re surely clever enough to hazard a slight guess as to what the general consensus amongst them is? Surely?

A Hi-Bee
07-02-2021, 07:03 PM
ffs now we have working class and mason's and upper class all over what-I for one do not think that in this little country of ours we are that ****in shallow to be influenced by some photo in the newspaper of a couple of sportsmen standing while a couple of them kneel, for whatever reason, if you have ever been on the end of a ****in gun or a knife point then it dont matter what ****in colour someone is.
:cb

matty_f
07-02-2021, 07:04 PM
If some were doing it, they all should have done it. “As One” is their tagline, they certainly didn’t look as one in that photo.

hibs4life
07-02-2021, 07:15 PM

However, if you don't kneel you're a posh, right wing, racist? Really? What if those individuals have actually considered what this is all about and don't agree with it?

I find it completely embarrassing that we still see supposedly intelligent blokes kneeling that I never watch the start of a game. It's sad that in one of the most tolerant countries on earth some people feel they have to do a bit of virtue signalling before every game in support of a Marxist, racist organisation which has hijacked the situation in another country.

As I said on another thread I'd prefer it if players simply ran out the tunnel as they used to and just started to play the game. It's sport, not politics.

Highlighting the need to address racism is 'virtue signalling'?
Black sportsmen get racially abused, that's sport and politics.
Next you'll be telling us all it should have been All Lives Matter...🙄

Golden Bear
07-02-2021, 07:15 PM
I could be wrong but I think in the Pro 1VX league the players have been given the latitude to decide on what they think is appropriate to mark Black Lives Matter.

As for other professional sports then I've no idea what their protocols on the subject are.

SChibs
07-02-2021, 07:25 PM

Classic example of somebody missing the point. The kneeling isnt a support of BLM as an organisation it's a show of support against racism. Everyone knows that, some people pretend theres not a difference

JimBHibees
07-02-2021, 07:27 PM
If some were doing it, they all should have done it. “As One” is their tagline, they certainly didn’t look as one in that photo.

That photo looks terrible to be honest. Either none or all.

weecounty hibby
07-02-2021, 07:29 PM
I'm only going by what the SRU said. I don't know whether it was exclusive to yesterday or what impact that had on the decision of the Irish and Welsh players.

As I've said on numerous occasions today the six nations committe obviously got the message correct today. The minutes reflection was for a number of things and anti racism was just one of them. I think it was a confused message yesterday and that led to the confusion. I see absolutely no criticism of Wales and Ireland when NONE of the players took a knee.

Alfred E Newman
07-02-2021, 07:31 PM

Some wanted to do it, some obviously didn’t. Nobody should be pressured into making political statements they don’t agree with.

Frazerbob
07-02-2021, 07:34 PM
As I've said on numerous occasions today the six nations committe obviously got the message correct today. The minutes reflection was for a number of things and anti racism was just one of them. I think it was a confused message yesterday and that led to the confusion. I see absolutely no criticism of Wales and Ireland when NONE of the players took a knee.

Stop talking sense, it doesn’t suit any of the many agendas on this car crash of a thread.

Box 17
07-02-2021, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=SChibs;6459769]Classic example of somebody missing the point. The kneeling isnt a support of BLM as an organisation it's a show of support against racism. Everyone knows that, some people pretend theres not a difference[/QUOTE

It is in support of BLM, our own commentator said so yesterday.

What was wrong with the Show Racism the Red Card, a straightforward and non-political initiative? The problem with this taking of the knee is a lot of people, sportsmen and women included, feel uncomfortable about associating themselves with the politics surrounding BLM and want nothing to do with it.

Saint Hibee
07-02-2021, 07:44 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55971987

"In all Test matches since, and including, the November series, no country has taken the knee before kick-off, the understanding being that their opposition to racism would be articulated by way of an in-stadium announcement about the evils of bigotry.In the build-up to the Calcutta Cup, there was no talk of either side taking the knee. In the huge organisational processes surrounding these games it was not ever discussed.
The presumption, on Scotland's part, was that the procedures of November would apply to the Six Nations. In the game that preceded England v Scotland on Saturday - Italy v France in Rome - there was no taking the knee. On Sunday, when Wales hosted Ireland, the same applied.
When the England players took the knee, some of their Scottish counterparts saw them doing it and were taken aback. None of them were expecting it. It might have been the one time all day that England took them by surprise."

CropleyWasGod
07-02-2021, 07:46 PM

"In all Test matches since, and including, the November series, no country has taken the knee before kick-off, the understanding being that their opposition to racism would be articulated by way of an in-stadium announcement about the evils of bigotry.In the build-up to the Calcutta Cup, there was no talk of either side taking the knee. In the huge organisational processes surrounding these games it was not ever discussed.
The presumption, on Scotland's part, was that the procedures of November would apply to the Six Nations. In the game that preceded England v Scotland on Saturday - Italy v France in Rome - there was no taking the knee. On Sunday, when Wales hosted Ireland, the same applied.
When the England players took the knee, some of their Scottish counterparts saw them doing it and were taken aback. None of them were expecting it. It might have been the one time all day that England took them by surprise."

Knew it. It's all the fault of the *******ing English 😆

JimBHibees
07-02-2021, 07:49 PM
It is in support of BLM, our own commentator said so yesterday.

What was wrong with the Show Racism the Red Card, a straightforward and non-political initiative? The problem with this taking of the knee is a lot of people, sportsmen and women included, feel uncomfortable about associating themselves with the politics surrounding BLM and want nothing to do with it.

Get the impression the criticism of the supposed political stance of Blm is a deliberate excuse used to diminish the anti racism message.

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 07:50 PM

The issue is though with confusion or not, 4 players took it upon themselves to do what they thought was both noble and right and take a knee as part of an anti racism awareness campaign organised by the games governing bodies. While those 4 went down, they were let down and the positive message they were aiming to deliver was completely undermined by their teammates reluctance. As another poster has already questioned their motto is “as one”? Yet they can’t deliver a clear United standpoint on a very simple yet monumental issue.

I think we can all agree that whatever the planed initial demonstration was to be could and should of been handled much better and clearer. Nevertheless it’s a simple matter at the end of the day of racism and demonstrating an opposition to such. The most recognisable way of doing so is the knee gesture and as professional role models I just can’t for the life of me understand why they wouldn’t join with those team mates and send that message loud and clear. The picture speaks volumes, either all or don’t.

weecounty hibby
07-02-2021, 07:51 PM

Oh oh. I expect to see an apology on this thread shortly. It all looked like a confused mess yesterday with players looking at each other and wondering what was going on. You would have thought that those upper class privately educated toffs would have been smart enough to work it out tho

weecounty hibby
07-02-2021, 07:53 PM
The issue is though with confusion or not, 4 players took it upon themselves to do what they thought was both noble and right and take a knee as part of an anti racism awareness campaign organised by the games governing bodies. While those 4 went down, they were let down and the positive message they were aiming to deliver was completely undermined by their teammates reluctance. As another poster has already questioned their motto is “as one”? Yet they can’t deliver a clear United standpoint on a very simple yet monumental issue.

I think we can all agree that whatever the planed initial demonstration was to be could and should of been handled much better and clearer. Nevertheless it’s a simple matter at the end of the day of racism and demonstrating an opposition to such. The most recognisable way of doing so is the knee gesture and as professional role models I just can’t for the life of me understand why they wouldn’t join with those team mates and send that message loud and clear. The picture speaks volumes, either all or don’t.

So what was the clear United standpoint that was delivered by Wales and Ireland and France and Italy?

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-02-2021, 07:56 PM
Is it not time that this moved to The Holy Ground or Other Sports forum? The Hibs/football link has long gone.

Box 17
07-02-2021, 08:00 PM

It's not simple though. Taking the knee is a gesture in support of BLM which is a political organisation. Like anything political it will be supported by some and opposed by others. Keep politics out of sport.

TelaStella
07-02-2021, 08:04 PM
So what was the clear United standpoint that was delivered by Wales and Ireland and France and Italy?

Clearly not one of taking a knee. I may not agree with that sentiment however that’s for them to scrutinise. I’m talking about the Scotland team and why some members of such felt it okay to discredit their fellow team mates actions and join them in performing a very simple yet honourable, moral gesture.

Heedersnvolleys
07-02-2021, 08:05 PM

The way It was reported it was more the few decided to take a knee.

Rumble de Thump
07-02-2021, 08:13 PM
It's not simple though. Taking the knee is a gesture in support of BLM which is a political organisation. Like anything political it will be supported by some and opposed by others. Keep politics out of sport.

In Scottish football players have been taking the knee in support of the Show Racism The Red Card campaign so it's not been anything to do with Black Lives Matter there.

GordonHFC
07-02-2021, 08:18 PM

Oh that will be a different arguement for him.

McD
07-02-2021, 08:48 PM

:kettle:

Golden Bear
07-02-2021, 08:49 PM
You know I've read some real rubbish on Hibs Net over the years but a few of the posts on this thread really take the biscuit for downright lies.

It's time for me to take a break from the Forum otherwise my blood pressure will be going thru the roof.

Box 17
07-02-2021, 08:59 PM
In Scottish football players have been taking the knee in support of the Show Racism The Red Card campaign so it's not been anything to do with Black Lives Matter there.

Not according to Sky Sports, Sportscene or Hibs TV's own commentator.

Rumble de Thump
07-02-2021, 09:06 PM
Not according to Sky Sports, Sportscene or Hibs TV's own commentator.

All of them have acknowledged that it's for Show Racism The Red Card. The football authorities and Show Racism The Red Card have also made it clear. This has been going on for a long time and the information is available to anyone who's interested. For people to have such strong opinions on something that they haven't even Googled is bizarre. Some people have clearly not even visited the Show Racism The Red Card website within the past year.

Box 17
07-02-2021, 09:15 PM
All of them have acknowledged that it's for Show Racism The Red Card. The football authorities and Show Racism The Red Card have also made it clear. This has been going on for a long time and the information is available to anyone who's interested. For people to have such strong opinions on something that they haven't even Googled is bizarre. Some people have clearly not even visited the Show Racism The Red Card website within the past year.

Well that's not what our Hibs TV commentator said yesterday. If you are able to re-play it then listen for yourself.

Lago
07-02-2021, 09:23 PM
That doesn't supprised me, why let the truth get in the way of manufactured grievance.

hibee-boys
07-02-2021, 09:34 PM
I appreciated the solidarity and sentiment behind taking the knee at the time, players just going through the motions now and the message is so diluted it’s hardly worth the while in my book. We all have a personal responsibility to help stamp out racism but it’s got to come from keeping your own house in order first of all, education in schools/work places and enforceable laws that properly discourage that abhorrent behaviour and suitably punishes those who offend. Will players taking the knee help us on that journey, don’t think it does it any harm, but IF football clubs want to proactively help with progress perhaps it’s time to look at alternatives.

Still a long road ahead but thankfully, based on my experience of attending football games for around 30 years, there has been significant progress. Good luck shouting a racist slur at ER, or most other grounds, these days, see what happens. That positive shift in what is deemed to be socially acceptable behaviour has nothing to do with anyone having spent 5 seconds on any knees over the last 30 years.

FilipinoHibs
07-02-2021, 09:34 PM
BLM is the biggest civil rights movement in US history. Demanding justice for the killing of unarmed African Americans and police reform. It has inspired similar movements all over the world against such injustices- France and Australia are good examples.
The political demands are reasonable and studies show 93% of their marches in the US were peaceful. Violence is usually fuelled by heavy handed policing or counter attacks by the far right.

Whatever the reason for the confusion over taking the knee - the English players will have a better understanding of racism because of the high number of black players who play rugby in England - it sent the wrong message to racial minorities and the right wing racists. Footballers have had no problem taking the knee across Europe. Again there are a lot if black players playing in all the major European leagues including Scotland, so there is more sympathy for BLM/Give racism the red card. Scottish rugby has fewer players of black African descent or origin. The game in Scotland is still run by the middle class private school types outside of the Borders. This all had an impact on only why 4 Scottish players took the knee.

The 90+2
07-02-2021, 09:39 PM
You’re just making up **** as you go along my friend and no need for it. Makes you sound ignorant as ****.

FilipinoHibs
07-02-2021, 09:43 PM
I appreciated the solidarity and sentiment behind taking the knee at the time, players just going through the motions now and the message is so diluted it’s hardly worth the while in my book. We all have a personal responsibility to help stamp out racism but it’s got to come from keeping your own house in order first of all, education in schools/work places and enforceable laws that properly discourage that abhorrent behaviour and suitably punishes those who offend. Will players taking the knee help us on that journey, don’t think it does it any harm, but IF football clubs want to proactively help with progress perhaps it’s time to look at alternatives.

Still a long road ahead but thankfully, based on my experience of attending football games for around 30 years, there has been significant progress. Good luck shouting a racist slur at ER, or most other grounds, these days, see what happens. That positive shift in what is deemed to be socially acceptable behaviour has nothing to do with anyone having spent 5 seconds on any knees over the last 30 years.

Taking the knee only started recently and could not reflect the change in attitude you describe. The fact that taking the knee in football is not a problem reflects the progress we have made and reinforces the anti-racist message.

The attacks the black sports people took in the US before BLM for taking the knee from racist right in the US led by Trump, means taking it is coming out in solidarity with these sports people and taking a stand against racists. Great to ee the widespread solidarity by police, national guard and the army taking the knee in the US during the BLM marches. It is now an international sign of solidarity against racism.

PatHead
07-02-2021, 09:46 PM

Racist😁

WhileTheChief..
07-02-2021, 09:47 PM
From BLMs website..

is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.

What has any of that go to do with Scottish football or rugby?

State violence and vigilantes in the UK? Where / when?

mcohibs
07-02-2021, 09:49 PM
Clearly not one of taking a knee. I may not agree with that sentiment however that’s for them to scrutinise. I’m talking about the Scotland team and why some members of such felt it okay to discredit their fellow team mates actions and join them in performing a very simple yet honourable, moral gesture.

I suggest you read this. Scottish lads done nothing wrong yesterday

mcohibs
07-02-2021, 09:56 PM
From BLMs website..

is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.

Taking of knee has evolved to be a widely recognised symbol of anti racism. That being said, the scottish rugby team did nothing wrong yesterday. No taking of knee was planned and seemed to be a spontaneous gesture by a few of the players

Greenbeard
07-02-2021, 10:13 PM
Is Hoggie still a Hibbie?

ancient hibee
07-02-2021, 10:16 PM

As always it’s a simple cock up. The agreement between the Rugby Unions was that they would handle the anti racism issue. There was no taking the knee at the Autumn Internationals.When most of the English players did so yesterday the nearestvScottish players joined them.Some of the Scottish players didn’t even see what was going on.

superfurryhibby
07-02-2021, 10:49 PM
As always it’s a simple cock up. The agreement between the Rugby Unions was that they would handle the anti racism issue. There was no taking the knee at the Autumn Internationals.When most of the English players did so yesterday the nearestvScottish players joined them.Some of the Scottish players didn’t even see what was going on.

Exactly. I’m not sure why people seem so eager to ignore this widely reported factor. They didn’t expect it, some were unaware it was happening.

LeithMike
07-02-2021, 10:52 PM
The whole thing kind of highlghts how we should stop looking so closely at superficial demonstrations. Its pretty awful how the Scottish ruuby players have been criticised when they don't appear to have even known what was going on. When will we learn not to judge by appearances?

Anyone remember the parable of the widow's offering? Our society would be fawning over the rich person publicly giving away a tiny bit of their wealth while despising the widow who gave away everything because we didnt see her give anything.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

houstonhibbee
07-02-2021, 10:54 PM
Is Hoggie still a Hibbie?

maybe he can come on here and set the record straight and tell us what he said
I listened to it again and I think he said “Hibs won”

scm70nyd1973
07-02-2021, 11:13 PM
maybe he can come on here and set the record straight and tell us what he said
I listened to it again and I think he said “Hibs won”

Also probs not a good time to mention that me - as a Hibby growing up in Glasgow since age 3 - has cried himself to sleep every time the “in your Glasgow slums” song was sung at ER - Glasgow Hibs Fans’ sleep patterns matter ( tin hat on here as I am expecting abuse but just trying to lighten things up a bit - that’s all 🤭)

FilipinoHibs
08-02-2021, 03:28 AM
Also probs not a good time to mention that me - as a Hibby growing up in Glasgow since age 3 - has cried himself to sleep every time the “in your Glasgow slums” song was sung at ER - Glasgow Hibs Fans’ sleep patterns matter ( tin hat on here as I am expecting abuse but just trying to lighten things up a bit - that’s all 🤭)

I always cringed when the fans sang that song. Thought it ironic as a lot of the support comes from Pilton/Muihouse. When my wife, a school teacher, got into Hibs in the late 90s, I was horrified when joined in the singing.

Since452
08-02-2021, 05:40 AM
Stuart Hoggs life matters

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2021, 07:35 AM
That photo looks terrible to be honest. Either none or all.

Can i ask why you think the photo looks terrible, as all i see is grown men standing or kneeling. The ones who are standing are being dragged into accusations of being racist, when surely it is up to each individual whether they kneel or not?

I suppose it is bringing the situation back to the fore.

And now it appears this is just a huge misunderstanding, and taking the knee is not done in rugby like it is in football.

Earlydelivery
08-02-2021, 07:44 AM
https://twitter.com/jamesfl68585245/status/1358126510553595905?s=21
there you go guys ... and the Hibs won ������

JimBHibees
08-02-2021, 07:45 AM
Can i ask why you think the photo looks terrible, as all i see is grown men standing or kneeling. The ones who are standing are being dragged into accusations of being racist, when surely it is up to each individual whether they kneel or not?

Terrible is probably too far. Just the lack of coordination you would have thought an agreed position would have been agreed though sounds like the whole thing was a bit shambolic in terms of preparation. Better to not do it at all rather than what appeared a mixed message imo.

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2021, 07:50 AM
Terrible is probably too far. Just the lack of coordination you would have thought an agreed position would have been agreed though sounds like the whole thing was a bit shambolic in terms of preparation. Better to not do it at all rather than what appeared a mixed message imo.

I think reading between the lines that the players that kneeled were not expecting to kneel, but looked over and saw the English players kneel and some kneeled and others didn't, players just not knowing what the hell was going on?

The Modfather
08-02-2021, 07:53 AM
The whole thing kind of highlghts how we should stop looking so closely at superficial demonstrations. Its pretty awful how the Scottish ruuby players have been criticised when they don't appear to have even known what was going on. When will we learn not to judge by appearances?

Anyone remember the parable of the widow's offering? Our society would be fawning over the rich person publicly giving away a tiny bit of their wealth while despising the widow who gave away everything because we didnt see her give anything.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Good post. Taking the knee is in danger of becoming like the poppy. A good cause/message that isn’t mandatory. Yet is something that in essence comes with a pressure to do so because of the inevitable negative backlash/judgement despite it being an apparent optional gesture for each individual with no direct correlation as to their general views or how much they try to tackle racism in daily life.

Is there a parable about making the same point as a friend but, annoyingly, not as well as him? 🤔

I’ve said before I’d stop the taking off the knee and replace it with weekly segments on MOTD, Sky Sports, MNF etc where they get players past and present to talk about their experiences with racism. I think that would be a more effective and relevant way to help enact change.

Keith_M
08-02-2021, 08:04 AM
It's a marvellous achievement for the Scotland team, as it doesn't happen very often.

It's just a shame for the real hard core rugby fans that they weren't able to watch it in person.

scm70nyd1973
08-02-2021, 08:06 AM
I always cringed when the fans sang that song. Thought it ironic as a lot of the support comes from Pilton/Muihouse. When my wife, a school teacher, got into Hibs in the late 90s, I was horrified when joined in the singing.

We just had a good laugh at it to be honest - never offended by it - in any event in some parts of the world a cooked rat is a delicacy (Cambodia rings a bell from a doco that I watched about a year ago 🤔)

scm70nyd1973
08-02-2021, 08:08 AM
We just had a good laugh at it to be honest - never offended by it - in any event in some parts of the world a cooked rat is a delicacy (Cambodia rings a bell from a doco that I watched about a year ago 🤔)
Just googled it and yes Cambodia is one of a few - mibbies not a delicacy but sadly might be a necessity for some ☹️

Since90+2
08-02-2021, 08:09 AM

It's a bit of banter between rival cities. If someone is horrified at that song I dread to think of their reaction to some of the other things that are sung (and even more so were sung in the 90s).

The 90+2
08-02-2021, 08:12 AM

And now it appears this is just a huge misunderstanding, and taking the knee is not done in rugby like it is in football.

It's bloody ridiculous mate. 50% at least of the Scottish rugby team are racist ffs. :greengrin Lets just stand there in a world wide screened event and show we are racist lads eh. ****ing mental.

JimBHibees
08-02-2021, 08:12 AM
I think reading between the lines that the players that kneeled were not expecting to kneel, but looked over and saw the English players kneel and some kneeled and others didn't, players just not knowing what the hell was going on?

Yep sounds like that a bit shambolic.

scm70nyd1973
08-02-2021, 08:22 AM
It's a bit of banter between rival cities. If someone is horrified at that song I dread to think of their reaction to some of the other things that are sung (and even more so were sung in the 90s).

Absolutely- quite a catchy we number with excellent lyrics and very funny too - I remember all of us Weegie Hibbys ( and there were a good few who congregated in the east just under the TV gantry back in the day) occasionally joining in or booing and having a laugh at the same time with the non Weegie Hibbys around us (and there were quite a few 😂) who knew where we came from 😂 Just for the record I have never found a dead rat nor have I eaten one 😂 Always open minded though 👍

Keith_M
08-02-2021, 08:23 AM
Sooooo, Stuart Hogg's a Hibby?

FilipinoHibs
08-02-2021, 08:25 AM
From BLMs website..

Much wider and global principles than that :https://www.dcareaeducators4socialjustice.org/black-lives-matter/13-guiding-principles#:~:text=Collective%20Value,disbeliefs%2 C%20immigration%20status%20or%20location.

FilipinoHibs
08-02-2021, 08:29 AM
Sooooo, Stuart Hogg's a Hibby?

Yes Stuart's grandmother's grandmother is a sister with George Best's grandmother. The families are in regular contact. Stuart's father was a full back for Hawick and was a big Hibby to. Like father like son.

One Day
08-02-2021, 08:33 AM

Was also told about Maurice Johnson in an edinburgh night club

Keith_M
08-02-2021, 08:37 AM
Yes Stuart's grandmother's grandmother is a sister with George Best's grandmother. The families are in regular contact. Stuart's father was a full back for Hawick and was a big Hibby to. Like father like son.

Didn't know that.

Cheers mate

Keith_M
08-02-2021, 08:41 AM
I was actually just about to post something along the lines of 'Glasgow's not full of snowflakes'...

...then I looked out the window and there's a blizzard in progress. How wrong can you be!

:faf:

Jones28
08-02-2021, 08:42 AM
Was also told about Maurice Johnson in an edinburgh night club

Can you even set fire to the new £20 notes?

Carheenlea
08-02-2021, 08:44 AM
Hadn’t read all the thread so probably already covered, but saw this earlier and kind of explains why there may have been confusion over taking the knee, why some did, why some didn’t and why some were probably not sure what they should do.

https://i.postimg.cc/v8N1VWPS/0862-D879-7624-4550-99-D7-B99-ACA2-F1-E80.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Hibbyradge
08-02-2021, 09:34 AM
Just for the record I have never found a dead rat nor have I eaten one 😂 Always open minded though 👍

Would you think it was a treat if you did, though?

Keith_M
08-02-2021, 09:53 AM

He'd fry it on top of one of his stolen hub caps.

Pretty Boy
08-02-2021, 09:59 AM
Hadn’t read all the thread so probably already covered, but saw this earlier and kind of explains why there may have been confusion over taking the knee, why some did, why some didn’t and why some were probably not sure what they should do.

https://i.postimg.cc/v8N1VWPS/0862-D879-7624-4550-99-D7-B99-ACA2-F1-E80.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

The more I read about this the more I feel sorry for the players. They seem to have been caught up in something that stems from bad communication and inaction from the tournament organisers.

It appears about 5 tributes/silences/causes were crammed in to one and some players have, for lack of a better word, panicked whilst others have continued doing what has always been done. Tbh I think the tournament organisers are the ones who should really be being questioned, from the clarification given it seems their show of solidarity on their biggest stage of the year is to play a PA message to a near empty stadium. I'm sure rugby union works very hard to combat racism on a day to day basis but it seems a bit of a missed opportunity, I can't see how the moment of reflection and stadium announcement will have any impact on the audience at home.

A group of players have now been hung out to dry because a lot of people from the casual audience expected more than they were instructed to give.

Bostonhibby
08-02-2021, 10:04 AM
Was also told about Maurice Johnson in an edinburgh night clubI'm surprised theres any money left in circulation at the rate everyone's burning banknotes, especially Hibs supporting rugby players.

They'll be melting their gold teeth next.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

WhileTheChief..
08-02-2021, 10:11 AM
Much wider and global principles than that :https://www.dcareaeducators4socialjustice.org/black-lives-matter/13-guiding-principles#:~:text=Collective%20Value,disbeliefs%2 C%20immigration%20status%20or%20location.

https://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

lord bunberry
08-02-2021, 10:38 AM
That’s exactly what happened. They were lining up side by side, some of the Scottish players didn’t even know other Scottish players had taken the knee.

scm70nyd1973
08-02-2021, 10:40 AM

100%. After tasting the pies at ER in the 80s I am sure they would give roasted rat a run for its money - but I’m not gonna give it a try 😁

FilipinoHibs
08-02-2021, 11:37 AM
That’s exactly what happened. They were lining up side by side, some of the Scottish players didn’t even know other Scottish players had taken the knee.

I think that was what happened. Not all the England players kneeled. Think it was spontaneous by some. Although one England player did say he was not kneeling for Bible and church burners!.

Hibbyradge
08-02-2021, 11:43 AM
100%. After tasting the pies at ER in the 80s I am sure they would give roasted rat a run for its money - but I’m not gonna give it a try 😁

Did you ever experience a Tannadice pie in the 80s? Preferably having enjoyed an entree of a quart or two of heavy in the Clep.

They were a real and present danger to life. Cholesterol bombs composed of unidentifiable "meat" running in grease which would soak your hands and eventually find its way under your sleeves as far as your elbows. Nowadays they'd probably be banned in previously mentioned Cambodia.

My god they were delicious!

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2021, 11:54 AM
Did you ever experience a Tannadice pie in the 80s? Preferably having enjoyed an entree of a quart or two of heavy in the Clep.

They were a real and present danger to life. Cholesterol bombs composed of unidentifiable "meat" running in grease which would soak your hands and eventually find its way under your sleeves as far as your elbows. Nowadays they'd probably be banned in previously mentioned Cambodia.

:faf:. :agree:

Jones28
08-02-2021, 12:08 PM

No I think you’ve got that wrong, they’re definitely all racist *******s because they went to private school even though evidence has been provided that states they didn’t.

lord bunberry
08-02-2021, 12:13 PM
No I think you’ve got that wrong, they’re definitely all racist *******s because they went to private school even though evidence has been provided that states they didn’t.
Haha.

confused
08-02-2021, 12:26 PM
Can you even set fire to the new £20 notes?
Send me one I’ll try 🤔

gbhibby
08-02-2021, 12:32 PM
The pies in the clep were great as well you had to be there early

Keith_M
08-02-2021, 02:26 PM

I bet they all sing the Smelly Weegie song anaw.

:grr:

Stonewall
08-02-2021, 02:36 PM

Ah the Clep: Superb pub. Best pre-match boozer in Scotland IMO.

Not been there for a good few years. Please don’t tell me it’s no more.

CropleyWasGod
08-02-2021, 02:45 PM

Was in there after a cup tie with a couple of United-supporting mates. Sat next to an old boy who I needed a phrase book for. Apparently.... "Hertsgotbeatfaefaffa".

Turns out that our cousins had been expunged from the Cup by Forfar.

Frazerbob
08-02-2021, 02:47 PM
Was in there after a cup tie with a couple of United-supporting mates. Sat next to an old boy who I needed a phrase book for. Apparently.... "Hertsgotbeatfaefaffa".

Turns out that our cousins had been expunged from the Cup by Forfar.

Cousins?

Ringothedog
08-02-2021, 02:58 PM
The pies in the clep were great as well you had to be there early

Which boozer did the mince rolls? They were fantastic prematch

Sylar
08-02-2021, 03:23 PM

Wasn't it Whites Bar that did the mince rolls?! They're utterly brilliant if it's the same one.

scm70nyd1973
08-02-2021, 03:43 PM

Probably too pashed by the time I got to the ground back then to have one - Dundee trips in the 80s always seemed to involve loads of Don Revvie - Firhill pies were the major grease ball pies though - remember once the erse fell out one of mine and it dropped onto my foot tip and congealed almost immediately- like a steel toe cap encasement- too young to worry about my health back then and just got another 🤭

scm70nyd1973
08-02-2021, 03:44 PM

The Clep was always our fave at the end of the 80s/ early 90s. Just a great boozer 👍

CropleyWasGod
08-02-2021, 03:46 PM
Cousins?

I was being nice.

:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-02-2021, 03:48 PM

Clep was/is the best pub but The Ambassador was/is closer to the bakery that sold the Forfar Bridies!

Hibbyradge
08-02-2021, 04:31 PM

Unfortunately, it was taken over by the brewery years ago and the quality went through the floor sadly.

tamig
08-02-2021, 05:04 PM
Unfortunately, it was taken over by the brewery years ago and the quality went through the floor sadly.

Last time I was in was the season we got promoted. Not a patch on what it was when the brothers ran it but the “hivvy” was still pretty decent by today’s standards.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-02-2021, 05:07 PM
Last time I was in was the season we got promoted. Not a patch on what it was when the brothers ran it but the “hivvy” was still pretty decent by today’s standards.

My old man loves Dundee because so many of the pubs sell Mcewans 80! 🍺

He's now become partial to Mcewans Champion Ale during the numerous lockdowns.

Iggy Pope
08-02-2021, 05:15 PM

Popular with Hawkhill people and often a very tough choice back then about whether to actually go around to the game!

Iggy Pope
08-02-2021, 05:17 PM

So too was their version of Bovril.......

flash
08-02-2021, 05:20 PM
Just to check. How many pages do I have to scroll back to find a post about Stuart Hogg?

Stonewall
08-02-2021, 05:27 PM
Just to check. How many pages do I have to scroll back to find a post about Stuart Hogg?

I bumped into Stuart Hogg in the Clep once.

Keith_M
08-02-2021, 05:32 PM

Who's Stuart Hogg?