PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

Souter96Mac
03-02-2021, 12:49 PM
Apologies if this has already been mentioned or brought up, but I couldn't find a recent thread about Martin.

Boyle's goal and assist last night has taken him to 13 goal contribution this season in the league, 7 goals and 6 assists.

I believe, after a quick check of the stats, this is his highest total in the league (I've not totted up cup stats).

I just thought it was worth posting this, as a bit of a Martin Boyle appreciation thread. His form may have been up and down this season, but his contribution to the team is invaluable.

superfurryhibby
03-02-2021, 12:52 PM
Boyle looked lively last night. He carried the ball with confidence and was behind many of our positives moves.

He can be inconsistent, he does get heavily marked and a fair bit of rough treatment ( wouldn’t mind a bit of both just now tbh), but he’s a game changer and a we have nothing else like him in the side. The recent goals will have done his confidence the world of good.

Weegreenman
03-02-2021, 12:53 PM
Apologies if this has already been mentioned or brought up, but I couldn't find a recent thread about Martin.

Boyle's goal and assist last night has taken him to 13 goal contribution this season in the league, 7 goals and 6 assists.

I believe, after a quick check of the stats, this is his highest total in the league (I've not totted up cup stats).

I just thought it was worth posting this, as a bit of a Martin Boyle appreciation thread. His form may have been up and down this season, but his contribution to the team is invaluable.

I appreciate him even though I have a right good moan about him being MIA at times. I’m well aware of threat he brings, invaluable player to have at our disposal.
Well done Boiler! 👌🏿👏👏👏

1van Sprou7e
03-02-2021, 12:54 PM
There are doubts over his best position but he seems to have actually contributed a lot more this season playing up top or at least more centrally

Unseen work
03-02-2021, 01:06 PM
It shows how funny a thing stats are because I think he’s actually been pretty poor this season and struggles beating his man and being as big a threat as normal.

Last night when he moved out wide he seemed a lot more back to his old self, maybe 2 in 2 has helped his confidence?

On stats though I think it’s now Nisbet has scored 1 in 8 and Doidge 1 in 11.

Grim reading but for me it gives us hope that none of our attacking and most dangerous players are firing on all cylinders yet but we’re still 3rd.

WeeRussell
03-02-2021, 01:19 PM
It shows how funny a thing stats are because I think he’s actually been pretty poor this season and struggles beating his man and being as big a threat as normal.

Last night when he moved out wide he seemed a lot more back to his old self, maybe 2 in 2 has helped his confidence?

Grim reading but for me it gives us hope that none of our attacking and most dangerous players are firing on all cylinders yet but we’re still 3rd.

Yep - I'm surprised to learn these stats, as someone who has been guilty of being quite critical of him this season (not necessarily on here but in my own mind and mutterings :greengrin). I guess a couple of penalties and the form of strikers pre-christmas will arguably have helped his case, and it only takes a second to add to a stat, while players (especially explosive ones) can appear otherwise pretty quiet for the rest of the game...

but no doubt about the value he offers when on song. Long may these contributions continue.

Tyler Durden
03-02-2021, 01:22 PM
He’s also the most fouled player in the league. Is that 2 or 3 times now the opposition have had someone sent off for fouling him?

I think people just need to temper expectations a little but the feeling that he’s been short of his best maybe partly comes from the fact that he’s saved his worst performances for the 2 semi finals. Although even then he laid 2 sitters on a plate in the Hearts game.

Souter96Mac
03-02-2021, 01:44 PM

Yeah I agree, he's certainly not been as good this season with his overall performance. But with that in mind, and the fact he's been able to contribute so many goals in the league, I think that goes to show how useful he is to Hibs, and what a masterstroke it was to get him tied down to a new deal.

B.H.F.C
03-02-2021, 03:13 PM
I don’t think he’s been as bad this season as some of the comments I’ve seen about his performances. He’s absolutely not been brilliant. But by the time the season is done he’ll be pushing towards, or maybe in, double figures for both goals and assists.

He’s pretty much booted up and down the park most weeks as well but, generally, gets up and gets on with things.

Fergus52
03-02-2021, 03:26 PM
Seen a graph on Twitter that in terms of key passes and expected assists per 90 he's among the best in the league at consistently creating high quality chances.

Will try and dig it out.

Bostonhibby
03-02-2021, 03:36 PM
He gets battered by the serial foulers in the league yet still manages to contribute at this level, very much to his credit even though I dont think hes been at his best this season so far.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Smartie
03-02-2021, 03:45 PM
I've been critical of him because I don't think he's been at his best this season, but he's made a very significant contribution towards us picking up 6 points in our last 2 games and he's looked very much in the mood.

Murphy also had a good game last night and we looked much the stronger for carrying a serious threat down both flanks.

we are hibs
03-02-2021, 04:47 PM
He was far better in the 2nd half once he moved out to the right wing. If hes playing upfront he needs Doidge to win most of his flick on's to be influential because Boyle cant play with his back to goal imo.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tambo
03-02-2021, 05:35 PM
Can see he is much more useful out wide but hes a good option up top.

Not sure I'm happy he is on set pieces at the moment surely Murphy could hit a better set piece but I think he is on a bit of form at the moment and hope he can get a few yellow cards and maybe a red for us against the sheep.