PDA

View Full Version : What do you miss about the games most?

Magpie
31-01-2021, 11:09 AM
Watching the game yesterday got me thinking about previous trips to Tannadice including our cup game last season where we took a fantastic support with us and I recall how great the atmosphere was and having a great day out with friends and family.

I took a walk down Easter Road this morning to see how the place is doing as it’s been a while and it got me excited about getting back in there.

What do you miss most about matchday?

Bridge hibs
31-01-2021, 11:19 AM
Watching the game yesterday got me thinking about previous trips to Tannadice including our cup game last season where we took a fantastic support with us and I recall how great the atmosphere was and having a great day out with friends and family.

I took a walk down Easter Road this morning to see how the place is doing as it’s been a while and it got me excited about getting back in there.

What do you miss most about matchday?I miss going for a couple of pints with my mates before a game, dissecting the previous game and putting the world to rights. To be honest I kind off fell out of love with the game for a while and just didnt have the appetite for it and to be honest, this season has been similar, I just dont feel the same passion when Im watching hibs on the tv. That in turn though has given me a desire to get my erse back down to Easter Road as soon as we are allowed, I need to feel that emotion again, to see hibs in the flesh again, players running out of the tunnel, big roaring crowd behind them, that should whet my appetite 🇳🇬🇳🇬

Magpie
31-01-2021, 11:21 AM
I miss going for a couple of pints with my mates before a game, dissecting the previous game and putting the world to rights. To be honest I kind off fell out of love with the game for a while and just didnt have the appetite for it and to be honest, this season has been similar, I just dont feel the same passion when Im watching hibs on the tv. That in turn though has given me a desire to get my erse back down to Easter Road as soon as we are allowed, I need to feel that emotion again, to see hibs in the flesh again, players running out of the tunnel, big roaring crowd behind them, that should whet my appetite 🇳🇬🇳🇬

Yeah I totally agree that I won’t take it for granted in future, even if we concede a last minute goal, I’ll appreciate being back there enjoying the occasion. Hopefully we can be back holding scarfs proudly above our heads singing SOL sooner rather than later.

Jones28
31-01-2021, 11:31 AM
****ing draught lager.

Walking down the steps of the west upper after a win and touching the door frame on the way out.

Golden Bear
31-01-2021, 11:32 AM
The day out in general. Its unfortunate that the game itself sometimes spoils things. 😄

Gmack7
31-01-2021, 11:37 AM
Screaming obscenities and booing in the house just doesn't feel as good, i need to get back to my seat in the east

gbhibby
31-01-2021, 11:38 AM
Half-time pie and bovril.

I think I need help.

A Hi-Bee
31-01-2021, 02:29 PM
The pies which would explain my rather rotound shape,ha.
:flag::flag::flag:

Pretty Boy
31-01-2021, 02:36 PM
I miss midweek games the most.

Wrapped up, a couple of pints straight from work, a game under the lights then a chippy on the way home.

Simple pleasures but you miss them when they are gone. Hopefully by this time next year.....

Since452
31-01-2021, 02:42 PM
Booing at my laptop isn't the same

matty_f
31-01-2021, 02:56 PM
I miss midweek games the most.

Wrapped up, a couple of pints straight from work, a game under the lights then a chippy on the way home.

Simple pleasures but you miss them when they are gone. Hopefully by this time next year.....

Midweek games are the best. :agree:

I miss the anticipation and discussion about the team selection pre-match, then talking about the game afterwards on the way home.

I miss getting in early and watching the ground fill up then walking back through the crowd to get to the car.

I can’t wait to get back.

G B Young
31-01-2021, 03:30 PM
Interesting that so far for most it's not so much the actual football we miss but the pre-match etc. I tend to agree.

ABZHFC
31-01-2021, 03:32 PM
The pub before and after, the whole sense of occasion, the atmosphere, pretty much everything.

Agree with what others have said, it's not the same watching your laptop screen, and it really has made me realise just how much I love going to Easter Road on a Saturday.

I will never take it for granted again

Hibbyradge
31-01-2021, 03:38 PM
Waiting till the fans get back. :agree:

Iggy Pope
31-01-2021, 03:45 PM
I’m not going to miss the stress and anxiety that comes with watching them on the telly. It’s unbearable.
I miss doing what I’ve taken for granted for half a century and I miss seeing my mates.
I’m not going to miss the Hibs.net match day thread much.
I miss Easter Road and the Away days.
I’m sad that Hibs might have had a top scoring star striker that none of this generation have ever seen play in a Hibs shirt.

I’m sure we’re all the same.

Father Ted
31-01-2021, 03:47 PM
Personally I mss everything about match day at ER the good and the bad

matty_f
31-01-2021, 03:55 PM
Interesting that so far for most it's not so much the actual football we miss but the pre-match etc. I tend to agree.

To be fair, i miss the reaction to goals at the games. When we went 2-0 up against Celtic all o could think of is how much the stadium would have been bouncing if we’d all been there for it.

DaveF
31-01-2021, 04:01 PM
Walking towards the west stand and seeing that beautiful persevered banner on the side of the FF.

hibbysam
31-01-2021, 04:01 PM
Even the dullest of games can be exciting, atmosphere, reaction to bad decisions, celebrating a goal. The whole lot. Bugger being a glory hunting arm chair fan and doing this week in week out.

The Modfather
31-01-2021, 04:10 PM
Getting a break from the family:duck:

Onion
31-01-2021, 04:17 PM
Walking out of ER 5 mins before FT, and avoiding the inevitable equaliser by [name of team here] :aok:

hibee-boys
31-01-2021, 04:18 PM
Don’t think I’ll be back, I’ll be tuning in from the comfort of my front room from now on😜

Northernhibee
31-01-2021, 04:19 PM
Threads about the ticket scanners not working.

kaimendhibs
31-01-2021, 04:26 PM
The feeling of being a part of things. Seeing pals, half time chats. This watching in the house stuff is grim

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

speedy_gonzales
31-01-2021, 04:27 PM
From getting off the train at Waverley, the walk down Leith Walk, getting to a near empty Robbie's bar for noon then watch it fill up to standing room only within a couple of hours.
The pints with my dad.
The walk along Iona Street at quarter to 3, dad having to nip in to the Iona for a slash as he's "of that age".
Crossing Easter Road against the red man with a hundred other guys, acknowledging the frustrated driver.
Arriving to the ground in a throng of others, a hundred match predictions being muttered.
The small victory of your ST scanning first time, and your in.

I miss all that and the game hasn't even kicked off yet!

Nicho87
31-01-2021, 04:29 PM
Someone with poor hygiene sitting next to you.
Or your Mrs.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-01-2021, 04:35 PM
I miss the Friday night feeling of knowing that there is a game to go to at the weekend.

DH1875
31-01-2021, 04:39 PM
The day out in general. Its unfortunate that the game itself sometimes spoils things. 😄

This :agree: Its about meeting mates, having a few beers, getting a sing song, shouting a bit of abuse at some team, ref or other set of fans, some more beers, the journey home and then a take away.

Greenbeard
31-01-2021, 04:42 PM
Feeding the seagulls.
:offski:

Pagan Hibernia
31-01-2021, 05:03 PM
Not living in Edinburgh my three or four trips to Easter Road were a full on weekend. Ferry over from Belfast on a Friday night, a night on the town in Edinburgh, full match day ritual, pints in a few pubs in leith, game, another nice night in the town, home on the Sunday.

lovely. Can’t wait to get over again.

1van Sprou7e
31-01-2021, 05:04 PM

We can still watch the football

inglisavhibs
31-01-2021, 05:06 PM

What do you miss most about matchday?
Everything! Cant wait to get back.

Vault Boy
31-01-2021, 05:07 PM
I miss the atmosphere more than anything. Without the fans, we just don't get the same sense of occasion or importance from the matches.

I'm still passionate about Hibs and hope we have a really strong season, but it's simply not as impactful without an emotional crowd, driving the meaning of each event, the moment to moment feedback and ability to influence the proceedings. Can't wait until the day that a goal is met with real cheers once again.

CloudSquall
31-01-2021, 05:18 PM
Giving it a good "'kin booooooooo"

Billy Whizz
31-01-2021, 05:42 PM
Getting up on a Saturday morning, and looking forward to going to see Hibs. I watch on the tv of course, but there’s no build up like watching the players warm up before game
I’m one of these fans who’s normally in their seat by 2.15pm

B.H.F.C
31-01-2021, 05:49 PM
Walking in to the Harp when it’s a home game.

Opening my first can on the train in the morning when it’s an away game.

Walking up St Clair Street towards the stadium.

Speaking to folk every week that I know for no other reason that I see them following Hibs all over the place.

The games themselves. Watching on TV is pish.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-01-2021, 05:51 PM
The unadulterated joy when we score. The Bedlam. The pride in Getting one over your arch-rivals.

BILLYHIBS
31-01-2021, 06:00 PM
Not being able to hear myself think prior to kick off

Oh they sorted that ?

Been that long since I was there 😃

Max_Shah
31-01-2021, 06:00 PM
Christ where do I begin:

Shouting/Letting off steam
Buying a program and leaving it on the bus/in the boozer
Having a laugh with/at the folx around us
Having a beer/scotch in Robbies/Artisan
Jumping a 21 and walking to ER from Duke Street [esp on a midweek evening]
The anticipation of taking my work gear off, getting changed, SMSing folx, just the whole ritual/routine of "going to the football"

I suppose you could reduce it all down to:

Just [Human] Being

JammyDoidger
31-01-2021, 08:03 PM
When the teams run out and shouting Hibees Hibees!!

Iggy Pope
31-01-2021, 08:20 PM
We can still watch the football

No, we can watch the telly.

Eyrie
31-01-2021, 08:51 PM
Difficult to articulate, but it's the sense of being there. The emotions of the crowd, the intensity of watching so you miss as little as possible, the elation of a goal, the deflation of conceding, the nerves, the relief, the being there.

Watching on the TV just isn't the same. It's the difference between bouncing around in the mosh pit and standing back watching the gig.

hibbysam
31-01-2021, 08:54 PM
When the teams run out and shouting Hibees Hibees!!

Do you mean you don’t do that sitting in the house?

FilipinoHibs
01-02-2021, 11:34 AM
Lived in Asia for 6 years and been to ER 3 times in that period. As a Hibs TV viewer I miss the crowds, the anticipation on their faces. The celebrations when we score. The singing for the big games.

Wakeyhibee
01-02-2021, 11:44 AM
Miss a lot of the above, it's also an excuse for my son to come north and meet up.

If allowed I'm wondering if this will create a mini boom for Scottish Football in general not just a few weeks but maybe seasons. It would benefit everyone bar the OF

Carheenlea
01-02-2021, 12:18 PM

Speaking to folk every week that I know for no other reason that I see them following Hibs all over the place.

I bumped into the woman that I used to sit next to for a few seasons in The East Stand whilst out shopping with my wife one day. As I introduced her to my wife I suddenly realised that I didn’t actually know her name! In the three years I sat there it never felt necessary to know each other’s names, but we’d have a good blether every week.

Similarly, it’s that sense of belonging you get, particularly at away games. You don’t know everyone but there is a familiarity with the faces and many you know well enough to be on nodding terms and some you know well enough to chat with.

For most of us there is a ritual to home games. Ours involves meeting for a pint in our home town (when it’s not our turn to drive!), picked up by the driver then a couple in The Hoppy before wandering round to Easter Road. As soon as I catch sight of Easter Road, especially at night when illuminated by floodlights I still get a huge rush of excitement.
The post mortem on way home and getting annoyed at Sportsound for having no Hibs interviews before we arrived home, dropped off and already planning the next match. Other than who’s driving there’s not much to plan as the itinerary is always the same.

Seveno
01-02-2021, 12:22 PM
It is basically that tribalism, being part of the Hibs family, sharing the excitement with friends, family and strangers.

I love the feeling of turning into Albion Road and feeling the anticipation building up. Celebrating a goal with thousands of others on our feet, jumping, yelling and sometimes hugging. You feel part of the whole endeavour and able to influence what is happening on the pitch. Watching it on tv is so detached and frustrating.

Oh, and I wish that feeling when I get home of no longer have the sound ringing in my ears of that moaning old git that sits behind me.

G15 Hibs
01-02-2021, 12:42 PM
As well as all the pre and post match rituals that we all miss, I've really missed being able to see the whole pitch when watching a game. I mean, I watch football on the telly all the time but not with the intensity that I watch Hibs games I suppose and I'd never really thought about it. But watching on the telly/computer I've noticed just how much of the game you miss by not being there and seeing everything that's going on, missing who's making runs, who's standing around doing **** all when they're not on the ball, exactly how the teams are set up, what's happening on the bench and all that kind of stuff. It really makes a difference.

That and the bevvy.

Northernhibee
01-02-2021, 12:49 PM
Noise, just noise. Teams walking out to it, goals being soundtracked by it, different noise coming from different parts of the stadium at different stages in the game. Bad fouls being punctuated by it.

Scouse Hibee
01-02-2021, 01:19 PM
As time goes on I don’t miss it.

hibee_girl
01-02-2021, 01:21 PM
Time with my Grandad.

Lunch at his before the game then the drive and walk to the stadium plus the game itself is our only time away from the rest of the family and I really miss it!

Pretty Boy
01-02-2021, 01:34 PM

That second last one is a great shout.

I know people who aren't friends as such but we have a connection because we sit next to each other at Hibs games.

I sat next to an older guy for years. We knew each other purely because we happened to buy STs that threw us together. He bought me a gift when my daughter was born, I gave him a sympathy card when his wife died. When he moved seats because the stairs were too much for him my Mum still phoned him to see he was OK.

That's probably an extreme example but there are loads of other people I nod to or say hello to purely because I see them at loads of games.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2021, 01:39 PM
Travelling to the game, having a few on the train then catching up with friends before in the pub before it starts.

Leaving 5 minutes early.:wink:

Ryan91
01-02-2021, 03:04 PM
Miss meeting up with family and friends post game as we walk back down towards Lochend and discuss the finer points of the game. Oh and to moan about how awful the Ref was.

Carheenlea
01-02-2021, 03:27 PM
As time goes on I don’t miss it.

Must admit I felt similar in the summer. Missed the golf more when we were faced with lockdown, particularly in the middle of some great weather.

As time has worn on though I’ve got more engaged with the live streaming and really look forward to the games after not enjoying them at first with the sensation of feeling like an outsider looking in. Suppose it’s just been a case of getting used to it and matchdays now follow a similar pattern where we are discussing the match as it happens on here and with friends on Whatsapp groups and then coming on here after to express our views and maybe have a row or two.

It’s just whetted the appetite more now for a return, and can’t wait for that day to come.

The Pointer
01-02-2021, 03:50 PM
Twenty two guys who are there to play football, running onto the pitch at the start and kicking straight off when the ref blows his whistle.