PDA

View Full Version : John Grant

brog
30-01-2021, 06:03 PM
Just saw on a Hibs FB page that The Duke passed away. He was a fine player, played at the back & midfield for Hibs & IIRC played at the 1958 WC finals. I had the pleasure of meeting him on a couple of occasions & he was Hibs through and through. RIP John.

Jonnyboy
30-01-2021, 06:11 PM
Sad news indeed. A Hibs stalwart in his day. RIP John

john rossi
30-01-2021, 06:12 PM
Great servant to the club good either at right back or right half RIP

BILLYHIBS
30-01-2021, 06:15 PM
RIP Duke

Sadly missed

Iggy Pope
30-01-2021, 06:22 PM
Only recently inserted a photo in my scrapbook of the man on his training bike. As Jonnyboy says, sounds like he was a stalwart.
R.I.P.

Mick O'Rourke
30-01-2021, 06:25 PM
John was in the team when i first watched the Hibs.

A great servant to Hibernian

RIP John Grant

Roxyhibee
30-01-2021, 06:32 PM
I started watching Hibs just as he left so don’t recall him like I do Quinn, Martin, MacNamee., But remember his name well from my dads old programmes when they used to have the middle pages as the team on the pitch diagram. Seemed to be a constant going back a few years. Clearly a legend. 🇳🇬👍

brog
30-01-2021, 06:43 PM
I started watching Hibs just as he left so don’t recall him like I do Quinn, Martin, MacNamee., But remember his name well from my dads old programmes when they used to have the middle pages as the team on the pitch diagram. Seemed to be a constant going back a few years. Clearly a legend. 🇳🇬👍

A legend indeed. A late starter but ended up with nearly 300 games for Hibs. Came into the team as Famous 5 were breaking up, played through the Joe Baker years including Joe's 4 goal Tynie epic & ended up a Scotland cap. Top player, top man.

Billy Whizz
30-01-2021, 06:50 PM
A legend indeed. A late starter but ended up with nearly 300 games for Hibs. Came into the team as Famous 5 were breaking up, played through the Joe Baker years including Joe's 4 goal Tynie epic & ended up a Scotland cap. Top player, top man.

Before my time too, but that’s a lot of appearance, considering back then they didn’t play as many games as they did now
What age was he Brog

brog
30-01-2021, 07:10 PM
Before my time too, but that’s a lot of appearance, considering back then they didn’t play as many games as they did now
What age was he Brog

Late 80s I think Billy. I played with his brother George, another fine player, for many years.

Forza Fred
01-02-2021, 10:55 AM
What age was he Brog

He was 89 according to WIKI believe it or no, which must have made him close to our oldest living ex player.

Now that he's gone John Fraser who will be 85 soon, must go close.

Like Brog, John Grant was in the team when I first started watching Hibs.

worryingly, earlier today I checked up to see how many from the first game I can remember attending were still alive.

Out of the eleven (no subs then) only two...Jim Easton and Jonny MacLeod appear to be the only survivors!!

Baker9
01-02-2021, 11:18 AM
Normally when a Hibs legend dies there are a lot more messages of condolence than there are for John. He has actually outlived most of the people his age that use this site. I remember him as a versatile player and a gentleman on the park, without being anything like soft. Rest in peace John. I suspect that his longevity was due in part to clean-living and his good nature.

brog
01-02-2021, 11:24 AM
Normally when a Hibs legend dies there are a lot more messages of condolence than there are for John. He has actually outlived most of the people his age that use this site. I remember him as a versatile player and a gentleman on the park, without being anything like soft. Rest in peace John. I suspect that his longevity was due in part to clean-living and his good nature.

I agree, there is however another thread on here about John with a few more posts. If admins could merge it would be appreciated. There's a lovely post from Mick O'Rourke on the other thread which talks about how John was a mentor to the likes of Pat S & Jimmy O

lapsedhibee
01-02-2021, 01:56 PM
John was in the team when i first watched the Hibs.

And me. Tannoy announcement wafting over the massive old east terracing is etched on my brain: "Simpson, Fraser, McLelland, Grant, Easton, Baxter ... "

Tarrahib
01-02-2021, 02:16 PM
Did John still go to the Hibs games?

Mick O'Rourke
01-02-2021, 05:02 PM
I was reading the tribute to John on the club website and noticed that another player from the early sixties also sadly passed
Duncan Falconer
I remember Duncan
Like Jimmy O back then,Duncan was used in a number of positions.

RIP Duncan

ancient hibee
01-02-2021, 06:12 PM
Wasn't Duncan Falconer our top scorer one season (with not very many).A better full back than an inside forward I always thought. Sad news.

greenpaper55
01-02-2021, 06:21 PM
Wasn't Duncan Falconer our top scorer one season (with not very many).A better full back than an inside forward I always thought. Sad news.

Think he also played centre half as well, i remember he collapsed with concussion in a game at ER minutes after the collision. I worked with his father in Redpaths across the road from ER, Johny Mcleod's old man was there as well.

Mick O'Rourke
03-02-2021, 11:32 AM
For John's funeral details refer to Edinburgh Evening News obituary section.

The funeral takes place next Tuesday 9th at 2 pm at Warriston,with invited guests only.

However the service will be streamed live.
Info on that is in the obituary notice.

RIP

brog
03-02-2021, 12:03 PM
I was reading the tribute to John on the club website and noticed that another player from the early sixties also sadly passed
Duncan Falconer
I remember Duncan
Like Jimmy O back then,Duncan was used in a number of positions.

RIP Duncan

A wee bit coincidence here Michael, IIRC Duncs scored our only goal when we beat Utrecht away in Europe. I'm sure a certain Jim O made his debut, as a 16 year old in that game. Thanks for sharing about Duncan, he always looked like an All American athlete with his crew cut & imposing physique!

plhibs
03-02-2021, 12:23 PM
I remember meeting him and a few of the team in the late 1950/60s. They visited my uncle in Dalkeith some weekends, most of them were very nice and didn't mind kicking a ball around with the kids then.
Anyone know did John Grant live in Canada for a number of years?

Just checked the write up on the official site and JG didn't move to Canada. I met a guy over here a couple of years ago who played with Hibs at the same time as my uncle but obviously i've got the wrong name.

madsen5
03-02-2021, 12:48 PM
And me. Tannoy announcement wafting over the massive old east terracing is etched on my brain: "Simpson, Fraser, McLelland, Grant, Easton, Baxter ... "

Brings back memories, RIP John great player.

Mick O'Rourke
03-02-2021, 01:11 PM
A wee bit coincidence here Michael, IIRC Duncs scored our only goal when we beat Utrecht away in Europe. I'm sure a certain Jim O made his debut, as a 16 year old in that game. Thanks for sharing about Duncan, he always looked like an All American athlete with his crew cut & imposing physique!I thought you meant Jimmy there for a minute !!

When i read Duncan's biography, i spotted that re the Utrecht game.
Those utility/versatile players,as we called them then, did sometimes get the short end of the stick
Jack o all trades etc.In and out the team
James would be a case in point pre Turnbull returning.