PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Dundee United 30 01 21))

Jonnyboy
30-01-2021, 05:15 PM
All the talk this week has surrounded the speculation that three of our players were being linked with moves away and so I was glad when Saturday afternoon at 3 o’clock rolled around and I could focus my attention solely on our fixture at Tannadice. Such talk, certainly in the media, can have a destabilising effect on a player and so I was intrigued when two of the three were left on the bench. Porteous and Nisbet didn’t make the starting eleven but young Josh Doig did. Darren McGregor retained his starting position and was in the centre of a back three, flanked by McGinn and Hanlon.

On yet another tricky surface, both sides struggled early on to try and piece together any meaningful moves. United had the first attempt at goal but Clark’s effort slipped wide of the post. Moments later, Butcher tried his luck but Rocky was untroubled by the attempt. A deflected effort by Clark looked like it might loop over Marciano and into the net but Rocky reacted quickly to push the ball over the bar.

Hibs got themselves on the front foot and in the space of a couple of minutes, McGregor saw a header on target saved whilst Gogic was unlucky as he tried to sweep the ball home whilst he was on his back in the six yard box.

Chris Cadden was coming in for some rough treatment and Gavin Duncan was very lenient on Luke Bolton who was late and high with a challenge that had a hint of a red card about it. As it was, only a free kick was awarded and soon after, Reynolds cleaned out the Hibs man but only a free kick was awarded. Doidge was next to try his luck as he took a pass from Murphy and let fly but the shot was charged down in a packed penalty area. Big Christian was involved again in a period of play that ended with Hibs taking the lead. His clever flick left Reynolds high and dry, but his attempted cross was deflected for a corner. When the ball was delivered into the box, McGinn powered a header towards goal that Siegrist could only parry. Irvine pounced on the loose ball and cut it back towards the edge of the box where McGregor thundered a shot high into United’s net.

The hosts tried to respond, and the Hibs defence stood tall as it blocked anything that looked as though it might be on target. As the half hour approached, the lively Cadden saw a right footed effort blocked before United again tried to get level but this Hibs team was working well as a unit when not in possession. On a few occasions I was delighted to watch the United man on the ball closed down before he had time to think about what he might do next.

Mark McNulty was trying his best to help create something of note, but his strike partner Shankland seemed to spend most of his time dropping really deep and so negating any goal threat he might have had. As it was, Hibs reached the break with their lead intact and justifiably so because they deserved it.

As you might expect, United came out with a bit more aggression in their play, in terms of getting forward much more quickly than they had in the first but to little effect. They did force a series of corners, but these were well dealt with defensively. A shot from Fuchs from just outside the box drifted past the far post with Marciano in close attendance.

At the other end, Murphy delivered a fantastic diagonal cross from the left, but the inrushing Doidge missed the ball completely when any touch with his head would likely have produced a goal. Minutes later a frustrated Shankland tried his luck but watched on in dismay as his effort deflected off McGregor only for Marciano to make a fine save with his feet. Connolly was next to try his luck but his header from a corner sailed well over the bar.

Irvine came close with a header but to be fair, Siegrist probably had it covered as the ball cleared the bar. Murphy was looking tired and Jack Ross decided to replace him with Magennis who hadn’t been on the park longer than a minute when Irvine shrugged off a challenge before hitting a magnificent through ball which Boyle raced on to before beating the keeper to his left to put Hibs 2-0 ahead. The pass was sublime, and the finish composed.

United looked crestfallen and their play became very sloppy as the confidence had taken such a huge knock. Racing through on another Irvine pass, Boyle skipped to the side of Reynolds and struck an effort on goal but Siegrist was equal to it. At the other end, Doig was extremely lucky to get away with the use of an arm inside the area but somehow the main stand assistant missed it from ten yards away. To even it up, Boyle possibly should have had a penalty when Reynolds pushed him over, but the far side assistant also missed that from an equal distance away.

With the clock running down, Hibs looked home and hosed although a more composed effort from Shankland might have been on target rather than drifting harmlessly past the post. Bearing in mind the earlier leniency shown by Gavin Duncan, I thought we were going to have a cardless game but big Daz was rightly booked for a strong challenge on Butcher. The game was fizzling out now and it was pleasing to see Hibs getting back to winning ways with the clean sheet a bonus.

The players

Marciano – Rocky’s only real save of note was the one with his feet late in the game.

McGinn – Paul was as solid as a rock and clearly enjoys playing on the right of a back three. His use of the ball in an attacking sense was also good.

McGregor – Like most folk I wondered whether Daz could play again so soon after Wednesday, but I needn’t have worried as he was immense throughout. I can’t recall him losing a header and his goal was quite wonderful. I admit I swithered about this but for the second game in a row Daz is my man of the match.

Hanlon – Paul’s under a bit of pressure at the minute and there were a couple of times today that I thought he was sloppy in defending but given he was part of the defence that kept a clean sheet he deserves praise for that.

Cadden – Close to getting my man of the match award I thought Chris had a fine game. His lung bursting runs down the right took pressure off the defence and generally ended up with us winning a throw in or a free kick. I think he’s going to be a really good acquisition for Hibs.

Gogic – I was quite critical of Alex last time out, but I thought he was on top form today and doing the job Jack Ross wants him to do. He broke up the play well and drifted in to cover any time one of our defenders ventured forward.

Irvine – Two assists is an impressive haul from Jackson. His through ball for Boyle’s goal was nothing short of perfect and in a midfielder sense he was everywhere he needed to be.

Murphy – I thought Jamie was a bit peripheral at times. It’s a known fact amongst opponents that he likes to cut in onto his right foot when around the edge of the box and as such his effectiveness is blunted somewhat.

Doig – In recent weeks, Josh has been effervescent for Hibs but today I felt he didn’t really perform as we know he can. Got lucky with using his arm in the penalty area and getting away with it.

Boyle – I remain to be convinced that Martin should be our dead ball man. Many of his deliveries were poor but I can balance that criticism by acknowledging how well he took his goal. He was composed and it’s not often he is when one on one.

Doidge – Another game without a goal but the big man’s general contribution is good. He keeps defenders on their toes and he’s a good guy to have in your own penalty area when defending set plays.

Magennis – More minutes under his belt but the sad thing is that the only thing of note that I can recall from his time on the park was when he went solo and lost possession when Doig was to his left and better placed to attack the United goal.

Wright – Not really on long enough to contribute much at all.

Jack Ross – An interesting team selection but one that worked in the end.

The referee – Gavin Duncan was far too lenient when Cadden was getting hacked down and he and his assistants missed two clear cut penalties.

kaimendhibs
30-01-2021, 05:26 PM
Good report as usual thanks. But Kyle fed the pass to Jackson in the lead up to our 2nd goal

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

scoopyboy
30-01-2021, 05:29 PM
I would have picked Jackson Irvine as my man of the match, closely followed by Darren McGregor and Chris Cadden.

No failures today though.

Golden Bear
30-01-2021, 05:30 PM
Good report.

Marciano also made a cracking save in the first half when he managed to tip over a wicked dipping deflection.

Greenbeard
30-01-2021, 05:44 PM
Lots of plus points and MoM contenders - Daz, Cadden, Irvine, McGinn but it was Gogic for me.
VG result but still too much aimless hoofball I thought (esp Hanlon) which helped make the 2nd goal such a delight to see - speed of thought and play when getting possession, a forward facing run, ball on the ground, a defence splitting Allanesque pass, and composed finish. Hats off to Boyle for that but I was screaming at him not long after his penalty claim when we had possession well up on their right and as the ball was passed between I think Cadden and Irvine, Boyle just stood or walked just outside the corner of their box without making any effort at all to get in a position for a pass, never mind making another run into space. That allied with his exceedingly poor set piece deliveries means he still gets a "could do better" from me despite taking his goal well. Hopefully the shoots we are seeing of him getting some form back continue upward and he is soon flowering again as one of our main threats. Same can be said of Doidge. Harried and hassled well but that is two successive games where you would expect him to bury a close range header.
Agree re Doig. It was like his biorhythms were not quite in tune today.

Curried
30-01-2021, 05:45 PM
Great report as always, but Irvine my MOTM by a long way.

Since452
30-01-2021, 05:47 PM
Great report as always, but Irvine my MOTM by a long way.

Yeah mine too. I didn't know an awful lot about him but he's some player.

joebakerforever
30-01-2021, 07:37 PM
Re United penalty claim for Doig's handball, both James McFadden & Stephen O'Donell on SportsScene agreed it was NOT a penalty as the ball bounced directly off Josh's thigh onto his arm and according to the rules, is not deliberate handball.

Jonnyboy
30-01-2021, 07:49 PM
Re United penalty claim for Doig's handball, both James McFadden & Stephen O'Donell on SportsScene agreed it was NOT a penalty as the ball bounced directly of Chris's thigh onto his arm and according to the rules, is not deliberate handball.

Happy to be proved wrong 😎

Bridge hibs
30-01-2021, 07:54 PM
Thanks again Jonny, can I ask, did you work as a reporter for a tabloid or for hibs at any point ? Love your input here and thank you

30-01-2021, 08:59 PM
Thanks again Jonny, can I ask, did you work as a reporter for a tabloid or for hibs at any point ? Love your input here and thank you

Don't know if Jonnyboy has been a reporter but I can tell you he's written at least 2 Hibs books, not sure if he's done any others.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C4GU8D2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_H8HGDCJWYF50ASYYQGTZ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FVECF5I/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_NFWX7BBPMYE8B2MFQ0P8

Jonnyboy
30-01-2021, 09:06 PM

Never worked as a reporter but did write match reports for dot net many years ago. Went on to write the odd article or report for the match programme and was lucky enough to be the first commentator on Hibs Interactive as it was known back in the day. Kinda miss the commentary gig, if truth be told :greengrin

Jonnyboy
30-01-2021, 09:06 PM
Don't know if Jonnyboy has been a reporter but I can tell you he's written at least 2 Hibs books, not sure if he's done any others.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C4GU8D2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_H8HGDCJWYF50ASYYQGTZ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FVECF5I/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_NFWX7BBPMYE8B2MFQ0P8

Just the two --- so far :aok:

Bridge hibs
30-01-2021, 09:07 PM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FVECF5I/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_NFWX7BBPMYE8B2MFQ0P8Thanks 007, will check those out 👍

Jonnyboy
30-01-2021, 09:08 PM
Good report.

Marciano also made a cracking save in the first half when he managed to tip over a wicked dipping deflection.

Yep, mentioned in my report but not in the players summary. Too quick in wanting to post the report up :greengrin

Bridge hibs
30-01-2021, 09:09 PM
Never worked as a reporter but did write match reports for dot net many years ago. Went on to write the odd article or report for the match programme and was lucky enough to be the first commentator on Hibs Interactive as it was known back in the day. Kinda miss the commentary gig, if truth be told :greengrinRespect Jonny and thank you for your reports on here, top class 👍

Ps- Have you considered a pod cast version ? I admit to knowing nothing about pod casts but they seem to be the in thing

Jonnyboy
30-01-2021, 09:11 PM
Respect Jonny and thank you for your reports on here, top class 👍

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy writing these reports, especially when we win :wink:

Bridge hibs
30-01-2021, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy writing these reports, especially when we win :wink:Thank you mate 👍

Forza Fred
30-01-2021, 09:22 PM
Yeah mine too. I didn't know an awful lot about him but he's some player.

Probably not known by many that he appeared in all 3 group games at the last World Cup Finals.

A regular in the Socceroos squad, and played for Ross Cty when they beat us in the League Cup Final in Alan Stubb’s day.

That our recruitment team were aware of his situation when he had not played for about 9 months is surely a suggestion that they are on the ball.

ozhibs
30-01-2021, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the report’s I always enjoy reading them even if I watch the game, but it’s especially good when the games as silly o’clock here in Oz .
It’s generally an unbiased not over the top or cutting our throat 😀👍

GGTTH :flag:

BILLYHIBS
30-01-2021, 09:59 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

Was scratching my head as to why Boyle was our dead ball man in the semi versus St Johnstone and why he was our dead ball man today ?

Does Jack Ross not watch the games?

Took his goal exquisitely though

Thanks for posting

GreenCastle
30-01-2021, 10:01 PM
Good report.

Thanks for the report.

This save early on was impressive.

I keep thinking we make too many changes to the starting team but we also need to try keep players fresh. That was some players 3rd game in 7 days.

As bad as Utd were - Hibs did a professional job and really can’t complain about that considering the last 2 results.

USAHibee
30-01-2021, 10:21 PM
Love these reports each week. Honest and accurate by all accounts. Way better than ESPN!!

matty_f
30-01-2021, 10:47 PM
Good report Jonnyboy, always enjoy these!

Brooster
31-01-2021, 12:21 AM
I agree Johnny, McGregor man of the match. A colossus at the back and a match winner up top. A perfect 10.

hibee-boys
31-01-2021, 07:02 AM
Good summary, pretty much nails my thoughts also. I thought Rocky’s save from the deflected shot was a good stop also, worth a mention. For a second it looked like it might just evade him.

BILLYHIBS
31-01-2021, 07:07 AM
Just the two --- so far :aok:
:agree:

A third instalment from 1987 onwards would be nice

Loads of good stuff in there for you to get your teeth into

Cup wins, takeover bids, relegations, sackings, signings- just the usual :greengrin

Pretty please :cup:

brog
31-01-2021, 07:21 AM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

Was scratching my head as to why Boyle was our dead ball man in the semi versus St Johnstone and why he was our dead ball man today ?

Does Jack Ross not watch the games?

Took his goal exquisitely though

Thanks for posting

I wondered too Billy. Must assume he shows it in training and TBF our 1st goal came from a corner.

brog
31-01-2021, 07:35 AM
Thanks as always John. Your report & MOTM just shows the fine margins in football. As you say Rocky only made 2 saves of note, both deflections. For the 1st Darren lost possession & the 2nd deflected off Darren, no culpability with Darren whatsoever. I suspect if either/both efforts went in & the "culprit" was Porto or PH then we would have seen a different reaction on here. FWIW I agree your thoughts re Darren, lovely to see him back & the other players' reactions to his goal were priceless.